• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 10,911 Views, 348 Comments

Apple Family Engineer - tatony



The Mane 6 find a new friend, one who wants nothing more than to get back home.

  • ...
30
 348
 10,911

Chapter 2

“Ugh, my head.” The Engineer said as he woke up. He tried to remember what happened to him and how he ended up in such a comfortable bed. Let’s see, teleporter, crash, horses … I’m on a farm, alright that’s a start. He felt someone shuffling beside him. “Who’s there?”

“Oh, hello sir, I’m Fluttershy, I, um, been looking after you. I mean, not just me, my friend Applejack and I, oh and her family and the doctors have been looking after you.” She said as she put warm wash cloth on his side. He flinched. “You hurt yourself pretty badly, we didn’t see it when we first found you, but, um, you’ll be okay now.”

The Engineer could make out the young woman's silhouette, but not much else in the room. She moved back and forth, but hardly made a sound. “Thanks Missy, I appreciate the help. Can you tell me where I am?” He asked as he tried to get up. He clenched his teeth, his whole body was sore, he felt around his abdomen, a rib was displaced.

“Don’t move! I mean, you’re still very hurt, just rest for right now and then you’ll be able to get up. I’m sorry I yelled at you.” Fluttershy said, she looked away, afraid that she her patient now hated her. The Engineer could hear her quietly weeping.

"Are you alright?" The Engineer asked, he saw the dark shape bobs it's head up and down. "Thanks fer the advice, I really appreciate it. Do ya think, you can turn the light on? I’m not comfortable talking to someone in the dark.” He put his hand on the side of his stomach, it was bandaged.

“That’s okay; I don’t like the dark either.” She said smiling. “But, um, you see, we had to take off your clothes and um, maybe you’d like to put them on, I mean, if you don’t mind. They’re, um, right there.” She pointed her hoof at the foot of the bed, then realized he couldn’t see them. “I’m sorry, here they are.” She said quietly as she put them on his lap. He started to groan as he put on his shirt. “I’m sorry if it hurts. I’ll get somepony.” She whispered.

“It’s alright darling, ain’t nothing to worry about.” She left the room and walked into the hallway. “Poor girl, hope that shyness don’t affect her too much.” He put on his pants and stood up. Not too bad, I guess, I’ve had a lot worse that’s fer sure. He thought as the door swung open.

“Howdy, I’m Applejack; I’m sorry about Fluttershy; she’s the kindest girl you’ll ever meet, but, uh, well, I'm sure you noticed.”

“Well thanks fer yer hospitality ma’am. Do you think ---“

“Hold that thought sugarcube, I don’t like talkin' to people in the dark.” She opened the curtains. His jaw dropped. “It's a beautiful mornin', if you feel well enough, you're more than welcome to some breakfast. Now what were you sayin’?”

“Uh, um, nothing ma’am, uh, I better sit down.” He winced as he sat back down. I’m hallucinating, she’s not a talking horse, my head’s just a little banged up. He thought to himself.

“You alright?” She asked worried.

“Uh, no ma’am, I mean yes.” He didn’t want to offend her by revealing his hallucination. .

“Well alright then,” She walked up to him and started to shake his hand, “I’m Applejack, but you can call me A.J and yer at my family’s farm, Sweet Apple Acres, we grow the best apples in all of Equestria here. Apple Bloom, Big MacIntosh get yer behinds over here, you too Fluttershy.” She kept shaking his hand as they walked in. “I’d like ya t’ meet my big brother, Big McIntosh, and this little filly here is ma sister Apple Bloom. Of course ya know Fluttershy.” And who might you be stranger?” The Engineer tried not to freak out. He gulped.

“I’m, uh, Dell, Dell, um, Conagher, the Engineer. You can call me, uh, Dell, if you want.”

“Hi Mr. Conagher, how are you feeling?” Apple Bloom asked him.

“Um, a bit banged up, but it's nothing to cry over.” He immediately regretted his choice of words. Fluttershy ran out of the room. “Oh, no, I’m sorry; I didn’t ... mean it like that.”

“Don’t ya worry ‘bout her, she's quick to get over it, sometimes. Are you looking fer yer friend?” Apple Bloom asked

“Apple Bloom, don't bother him with questions right now.” Applejack scolded her sister.

“Well, actually, I am looking fer someone. Maybe y’all seen him?”

“Red suit, black mask, kinda chubby, plays with fire?” Applejack said quickly.

“Ya that's him, you’ve seen him.” He struggled to imagine the destruction the Pyro could've caused. “Has he, uh, caused any trouble?”

“Trouble? Shoot mister, he’s just the sweetest visitor we had, made quite the impression on one of ma friends. Real smart too.” Applejack answered.

“Smart? Well, I don’t know about that; so where is he?” He asked. Maybe this trip was worth it after all. He rubbed his head. "Where's ma hat?"

Applejack smiled and tipped her own hat, " I'm the same way with mine. It's downstairs. Now about yer friend, he went back home.” Applejack answered. "At least we're all hoping he did." She added.

“Home! How? When?” He asked. It wasn’t worth the trip.

“Princess Celestia sent him back. As soon as he left, we saw you coming in on that shooting star. That was, I’d say, a week ago. Right Big Mac?”

“Eeyup.” Big McIntosh answered. He eyed the man up and down, he was no threat physically, but you never can tell with aliens.

“Shooting star? A week! I’ve been here for a week, looking fer someone who’s already gone. And who the hell … I mean, um, thanks fer the information, do ya think you’re uh, princess could send me back with him?” He asked, not sure if he should be relieved or annoyed.

“Err, yeah, you see about that …” Applejack rubbed her neck. “We were gonna send you back the day after you crashed, but Fluttershy didn’t think that was such a good idea. Seeing as how you were injured and all. And, well, Princess Celestia is mighty busy at the moment, has been for a good long while.”

“What’s wrong?” He asked, deciding annoyance was his best choice.

“I don’t really know, you can ask my other friend, Twilight Sparkle, she’s real close to the Princess, so I’m pretty sure she would know.”

“And why hasn’t she told you?”

“’Cause it’s none of my business mister,” She said. “We here in Ponyville don’t like gossiping, not since what it did last time, ain’t that right Apple Bloom?” Her sister looked down embarrassed. "‘Sides we got Princess Luna to watch out fer Equestria and Twilight told me that Princess Celestia will get back soon, that’s all I need to know.

“Well, I need to know more, I thank you fer taking care of me, but I need to get going.” He said trying not to show pain as he got up. “Where does Twilight Sparkle live?”

“Now hold up, you need some food in you, alien or not, I don't think anyone can survive on just apple sauce fer a week. Get some breakfast, lunch, or dinner, whenever you can come down. Then yer going to apologize to Fluttershy, and you ain’t leaving till she accepts it. And then, I’ll take ya t’ go see Twilight.”

“Sure thing ma'am," He said slowly, annoyed that he was being told what to do "Oh and by the way, is there a reason you and your kin look like horses?” He began looking for his wrench, in case he had to do some fighting, he checked his pockets, but he could only feel his guitar.

“What you say mister?” Big McIntosh asked stepping up to the Engineer, “You disrespectin’ ma family like that, in our house, I will break ---”

“Leave him Big Mac,” Apple Bloom said hugging her brother’s hoof. “He’s still just a little bit banged up, he doesn’t mean it.” McIntosh calmed down.

“Mister,” Applejack said, “You get one pass and you just used it, y'all two can leave.” Big McIntosh and Apple Bloom left the room. “One more thing mister, you’ll never call me a horse again, listen very carefully, I. Am. A. Pony.” She left the room and slammed the door.

What the hell? They’re talking horses! Ponies? The Engineer thought sitting down on the bed. Maybe that little girl was right, I’m still a little banged up, I’ll apologize, eat, and things will get better after that. He brought out his guitar and started playing. Yeah, things will be better after I eat.

----

A lone desk rested in a room much larger than what was really necessary to accommodate it's daily business. It was the office of one woman, though rarely, her employer would enter to scream about imaginary problems. But like most days there was only the one woman, sitting at the one desk, double checking a report, when her phone began to ring, and like always, she took a sip of water and answered it. “Hello, TF Industries, this is Miss Pauling speaking, how may I help you today?”

“Yo, sugar, how’s it going? Your favorite boy toy here.” The Scout said smugly.

“Who is this?” Miss Pauling asked due to protocol, she already knew who it was and loathed having to continue the conversation.

“Don’t be like that, I know I haven’t called you in a while, but you ain’t gotta be mean, pretendin' you don't know me.”

“Sir, who are you? I will hang up the phone if you do not give me your name." She decided to throw him a bone. "Or at least a title.” She regretted it immediately.

“I knew you were just playing. Dis is the one and only Scout, sweetheart.”

“Right ... What is the nature of your call, is your colleague still missing?”

“Yeah, I mean no, I mean, Pyro’s back, but the Engineer, he’s gone missin’ now.”

“Oh well, I will tell the administrator about the situation, unless you would like to speak to her directly.”

“Nah, baby, my ears are only for you. You can rent the other parts of me though.”

“Hmphm”(Give me that phone you inept Casanova.) The Pyro tried to take the phone away.

“Yo back off.” The Scout cleared his throat. “So listen babe; you, me, your place. I’ll let you give me a massage.”

“I have to decline, I will let the Administrator know about you’re situation.”

“One more thing beautiful, we ain’t working till overalls gets back, got it?”

“I will let her know.” She hung up the phone. “Infuriating, delusional, pipsqueak.” She composed herself as she walked into the administrator’s office. “Administrator, ma’am, another mercenary has gone missing.”

“Send a robot and be done with it.” The Administrator remained locked to her television screens.

“Ma’am it was the Engineer.” Miss Pauling responded.

“I know I enunciate very clearly Miss Pauling, but, infuriating as it is, I will say it again; send a robot and be done with it.”

“There aren’t any robots with the model or skill of the Engineer.* And they have told me they will not work without him.” The Administrator's cigarette fell from her mouth.

“All he does is bang on buildings with a wrench, but I supposed to those apes, that is a miracle of modern science.” Helen sighed. “Very well, get me Hale.”

“He’s already on the line.”

The administrator sneered at her. “Do not do that without my saying again.” She answered the phone. She smiled widely as though she could be seen on the other end. “Hale, it has been too long.”

“Helen! What can I do for you, the only woman ever to tame the beast that is Saxton Hale!”

“Oh you.” She rubbed her temples. “I need you to create another one of your evidence removal devices.”

“The sapper? No sale. The small men in white coats who work for me say that it can destroy space time or the something or other. Concerns of the weak are no concern of mine; I have no doubt I would survive any cataclysmic destruction, but if everything is destroyed, what would I fight?”

“Hale, do this and I will …” She thought for a moment “Do this Hale, do not keep me waiting.” She hung up the phone.

Saxton crushed the phone in his hand. “How dare she demand something of me, I am Saxton Hale! Bidwell! Get in here!” He heard ringing coming from his back-up phone.

“Yes sir?” Mr. Bidwell said over the phone.

“Where are you, why aren't you here?”

“I’m at home sir, I heard your call for me.”

“Bidwell, the only home a man should have is the wild. Understand? Now tell the eggheads in R&D to whip up another universe destroying sapper.”

“But, sir ---”

“But what?” He said furrowing his brow, Bidwell could sense it, miles away. Fear washed over him.

“Nothing sir, it’ll be done before your evening hunt.”

“Good.” Saxton crushed the phone in his hand. “And I need more phones!”

Author's Note:

* Written before the Mecha Update