• Published 1st Apr 2022
  • 893 Views, 10 Comments

It Happened One April Foal's Day - Dreadnought

  • ...
1
 10
 893

Prologue

The blue pegasus peered down into the large, black cauldron. Seeing the contents, she couldn’t help but scrunch her muzzle in disgust. Inside, a slimely green liquid lazily boiled, the bubbles growing to the size of a hoof before bursting with a loud Pop! Shimmering fumes rose up to the ceiling and she caught sight of the ocassional flicker of dancing sparks.

“Tell me my friend, what do you think of this blend?”

The pegasus looked to the other side of the cauldron where a zebra, adorned with golden neck rings and ear rings, stood patiently waiting for a judgment.

Rubbing her neck, the pegasus replied, “Well, Zecora... to tell the truth... it kind of stinks.”

Zecora smiled, “Rainbow Dash, potion making is an art.” Taking a sniff of the cauldron, she gagged before adding, “Though I’d agree it smells like a fart.”

“Isn’t that kind of a crude rhyme for you?” asked Rainbow Dash.

Chuckling, Zecora explained, “When you speak like this all the time, sometimes it can be a stretch for a rhyme.”

“A guess that make sense. I couldn’t do it. This one time, I had to write poetry in school. Let’s just say my parents weren’t impressed.”

“I thought your parents’ reactions were always big and loud, letting everyone know of you they’re proud.”

Rainbow Dash nervously laughed, “Not when you bring home an F.” She glanced back down into the foul stew. “So, this potion will really work?”

Zecora feigned anger. “Rainbow Dash that was a grave insult! Remember, you sought me to consult.”

“Yeah, sorry. I just really want this to work.”

“This is certainly the potion, to set your prank plans in motion.” She dipped a large laddle into the concoction, then poured it into a small glass vial.

Rainbow Dash examined the bottle, a grin growing across her face as she considered the implications. She started to rise higher as her wings beat faster and faster in excitement. “So, all I have to do is drink this polyjuice?” she finally asked.

Shaking her head, Zecora answered, “You must add a hair, to truly become the mare.”

She thought for a moment before replying, “Getting a hair shouldn’t be a problem.”

Giving the pegasus a pointed look, she said, “Perhaps you are going too far. Would you consider a lower bar?”

“No,” responded Rainbow Dash without hesitation. “This prank is going to be epic!”

“As you will not change your mind, perhaps a lesson you will find.”

Rainbow tsked, “Don’t worry. This isn’t like the time with the joke cookies.”

“Truly I pray, it is as you say,” said a skeptical Zecora.

“Everypony will find this prank funny,” Rainbow Dash reassured.

“Now that you have the brew, it is time for my due,” she said as she held out an open hoof.

She passed over a small bag. “Five bits, as we agreed.”

Zecora smiled, “Now that I have my pay, I wish you a good day.”

Heading for the door, Rainbow Dash said, “Yeah, I’ve got to prepare for tomorrow. It’s going to be the best April Foal’s Day ever!”