• Published 23rd Dec 2011
  • 5,144 Views, 48 Comments

Hatred would be better... - Gabriel LaVedier

  • ...
8
 48
 5,144

Hatred would be Better...

Zecora slowly stirred her cauldron, humming quietly to herself as the mixture slowly bubbled and swirled below. A wondrous mélange of scents rose up from the substance, all varieties of herbs and spices. She pulled the stirring rod out of the cauldron and set it aside, going over to her book to consult it carefully. After a short reading, she moved to the shelves and took up a bottle, bringing it over and shaking a few sprinkles into the bubbling vat.

“Hey, Zecora! What’s goin’ on?” Applebloom trotted cheerfully into the hut, a huge smile on her face.

“Applebloom, my little dove/ I have something you might love.” Zecora dipped a ladle into the cauldron and poured out a quantity of the liquid into a small bowl. “Let it cool a little space/ I would not want you burn your face.” The bowl was settled down on a low table, sized properly for a little filly.

Applebloom blew softly on the liquid for a time and then slowly sipped at it. “Wow! This is delicious! What is it? Some new kinda potion ‘r some kinda cure fer sumthin’?”

Zecora laughed musically and ruffled Applebloom’s mane playfully. “No no, my sweet, I assert:/ It is a traditional dessert.”

Applebloom sipped a few more mouthfuls, smiling brightly. “It’s really good. Could maybe use a few apples. But that’s alright! I don’t think you had many apples back where yer from.”

“No, indeed, back in my home,/ We lived well on baobab alone.” Zecora stirred the cauldron slowly, while she thought back on her old home.

- - -

Out on the Grand Veldt, zebras lived well, in good standing with both the Principality of Equestria and the Kingdom of the Griffins. Border squabbles over the exact demarcation of griffin and zebra holdings were infrequent, as zebras had little need to begrudge a few yards, and griffins had little use for the land itself but merely needed some excuse to be noticed. Thanks to the comfortable nature of the relationships, the zebra were free to engage in their lives free of meddling and pressure, though they very often found themselves visited by ponies and griffins, which suited them well; they traveled just as often when they had means at their disposal.

Many zebras lived in grand and ancient stone and metal cities built to hug the edge of desert spaces and near large oasi, while some of the zebras lived in tribal bands of many families, which were all organized around one mare or stallion that was the family head according to the pronouncements of certain soothsayers. The family head was traditionally allowed more than one husband or wife but it was not required. These heads were subordinate to the tribal chief, one selected by the family heads from among candidates determined by the soothsayers. Each tribe was largely autonomous but the chiefs would meet to make important decisions as a kind of council, typically dealing with matters related to territorial rights, inter-tribal justice and matters not controlled by the more formal government located in Maliganuktu, the largest and most ancient of the zebra holdings.

Tribal territories involved one or more smaller watering holes, with a semi-permanent settlement, as well as several other small villages for seasonal or special habitation. They also maintained areas where veldt grass could freely grow, and had their own small stands of acacia and baobab trees. They cultivated medicinal herbs and trees, having a long and strong tradition of natural magic somewhat akin to the earth ponies of Equestria, as well as a great knowledge of herbalism, using native plants and those from abroad.

Technologically, the tribal bands rested comfortably at around the level of Cannonites without the unwillingness to use advanced devices when available, while the city zebras were very much in the range of Griffin Kingdom or modest Equestria. They could feed their people, they could freely travel, and they were well protected from what existed on the Grand Veldt. The tribal groups occasionally enjoyed pony-made or griffin-made objects such as metal cauldrons and lanterns. They also allowed, and encouraged, larger structures from Equestrians and Griffins, including embassies and small towns within their territories and outside the larger political environs of the formal government. Mixing was common, both friendly and more so, and some of the initially-tribal zebras chose to live in the cities, out of the traditional bands.

The young Zecora was born in one of the tribes, who lived in an area close to an Equestrian-settled town. Her family was headed by a mare with three husbands, and she was second born of the mating with the first husband. She was not held up with any special reverence, but she did not lack any love. She was trained in the normal arts. Plant care, cuisine, herbalism, and magic. She was also taught the ways of the near neighbors, the Equestrians, including lessons in the language. As the flow of similar sounds aided understanding, she learned Equestrian with a certain meter and rhyme, eventually making her unable to stop rhyming in order to simply speak the tongue.

Zebras, like ponies, received Cutie Marks, known as Spirit Marks. They were not generally associated with a talent, but rather held to represent something about the zebra's future. They were typically gained at the cusp of maturity, when the zebra was considered an adult. Zecora was no exception. Though young, still somewhat of a filly, her sun sign appeared, leading the tribal soothsayer to cast numerous fortunes and think long on it.

The tradition for Spirit Marking was to send the new adult on a journey, to see the world as far as they desired. Most joined other tribes on the veldt. Some went to the cities. A few went into the griffin and pony lands. Almost all came back. Because of the nature of the mark, Zecora was told she MUST make her journey to the pony lands, where the sun rose and set. Her tribe prepared her for the journey and wept to see her go. But not too strongly. They, after all, assumed they would see her again someday.

That had been years ago.

- - -

The Everfree forest was a wonderland of herbal ingredients. The climate of Equestria, in the section around Everfree, was mild and far more agreeable than the veldt. Water was plentiful, food was varied, and the citizenry was… But everything else was wonderful. Her journey of learning was never made with a built-in time period. But there was always the assumption it would not take too long.

Zecora remained in Equestria because she felt unfulfilled. She didn't mind the avoidance and uncertainty; those not near the borderlands had hardly any experience with zebras. She found it almost unbearable because the environment was right, and still she felt incomplete. She was there for some purpose, and she would find it no matter what.

She found it the moment the little filly came to her hut, unafraid, and questioned her. It wasn't just the little act of kindness the filly showed after an explanation of what had happened. It wasn't merely her sweet features and willing eagerness to help in her endeavors. The moment they met there was almost the feeling of a connection, an imperceptible pull between the two. She did nothing more than mentor, but followed the lead Applebloom gave. She was smitten too. It was almost more happiness than she could have hoped.

"Zecora? Zecora?" Applebloom broke her from her reverie, nudging at her chest softly. "Kin ah have some more?"

"Of course you may; and eat it well./ I'll give you some to take,/ So when you hunger yet again/ You may freely slake." Zecora ladled out more of the sweetly-flavored broth, and lovingly rubbed Applebloom's mane as the filly ate.

"Mmm. Yer talkin' is always so purty, Zecora. Ah wish Granny Smith could hear ya. Ah jes knows she'd like it."

"That, I fear, would not be wise, passing under her tired, old eyes./ Let all this go and drop to the floor; we need not think on it any more." Zecora returned to stirring the cauldron, leaving Applebloom to eat. And think.

- - -

Applebloom kept her word, she said nothing to her grandmother, despite her great desire to do so. But Granny Smith was a shrewd lady. She could see that Applebloom was happier than she had been in the time before the meeting with Zecora. Applebloom was also more often seen to walk off to the Everfree Forest and return after many hours, following doing her chores as quickly with as much quality as was necessary and no more. Finally, there were strange smells and the sound of bubbling all around, strange plants being cultivated in window boxes or hanging in drying bunches in Applebloom's room, the mark of a budding herbalist.

The evidence added up in Granny Smith's mind. Only one being in the Ponyville area knew much about herbalism, and they happened to live in Everfree. And that kind of happiness, well... That was what Adam Apple had done for Eugenia before she was a Granny. Applebloom was in love. In love with a zebra. She knew just what to do with the little filly...

"Kinfolk..." Granny Smith rose to her hooves at dinner one night, looking seriously around the table at her grandchildren. "Ah have come to the realization that one of our lil comp'ny is in love." The three grandchildren looked at each other. Applejack looked confused; Big Macintosh was sweating despite his calm face; and Applebloom looked very worried.

"But, uhh... Granny, y'know ah'm in love. We have Rainbow Dash here every week fer one feast 'r another. T'aint much of a mystery." Applejack looked at her grandmother with a tilted head.

"T'aint you ah mean, mah dear. It's..." Granny raised a shaky hoof and swept it slowly. Big Macintosh was sweating buckets as it passed over his, his expression almost cracking. But the hoof did not stay and instead passed to Applebloom and settled there, shaking lightly with her natural palsy. "Our litt'lest one. Mah other dear Filly Fooler. She's been spending time in the forest, learnin' the ways a' herbalism, and fallin' in love with that zebra out there."

"G-granny! Wait! Ah kin explain..!" Applebloom stood up on her chair, eyes wide and worried.

"There's no explainin'. Ah knows what we gotta do..." Granny Smith inhaled strongly before breaking her stern look into a huge smile. "We's gotta have us a lil soir-ee fer this Zee-cora an' make her feel welcome in our lil clan."

Silence reigned for a long while. Applebloom still looked worried, rather than relieved. But both Applejack and Big Macintosh looked incredibly confused. That was not at all like the Granny they knew. "Uuhh... Granny? A git-together fer Zecora? Y'd actually do it?" Big Macintosh had seen Granny in her flush period longer than his sisters. He knew her ways better, if only slightly, than Applejack, who was just as flummoxed. "That's a bit, uh, surprisin'."

"Well now why 'r y'all looking so surprised? Y'look like y'never seen a happy granny tryin' t'keep a mare innerested in one a' mah kin."

"Well, now, Granny, that ain't it." Applejack broke in, looking at Big Macintosh. She knew what he was getting at, even if her knowledge was more vague than his. "But she ain't like Rainbow Dash, y'know..." Applejack loaded her words with as much innuendo as she could, to avoid calling the old bigot an old bigot to her face.

"Well what d'ya mean, dear? She's jes like yer Dash. She's an upstandin' mare with a good job AN' her own property. Landowners are good fer our standin'. Are y'all worried about the age? Bah! Why, back home in mah day y'had these spring-summer matches. Younger mares 'n stallions matched up with th' older fer the status and because they had th' feelin' in their hearts." Granny considered the objections for a moment and then said, "Wait a minute, d'y'all mean because she's a zebra?"

Applejack and Big Macintosh looked between one another, Applebloom finally looking confused. "It's jes not common in the family, is all..." Applejack began, eyes daring rapidly towards the wall that once held the picture of her cousin Braeburn.

"Bah! What's not t'like? She not only goes in easy t'hybridize, but them zebras has their own Cutie Marks. Why, they's jes like real ponies!" That last statement brought another confused look from Applebloom who didn't understand what had happened. She had been worried about going over the top as things had been with Rainbow Dash. Meanwhile, Applejack and Big Macintosh shared a very, very worried look. That was the kind of statement that had most concerned them.

- - -

“Zecora? Ummm… Kin ah talk t’you?” A few days later and Applebloom was in Zecora’s hut once more, pausing in her lessons on herbal preparations to regard the zebra with slight trepidation.

“Of course you may, little one./ Be not afraid and loose your tongue.” Zecora ruffled Applebloom’s mane, smiling down at her.

Applebloom scratched lightly at the dirt floor of the hut, in a passing imitation of Zecora’s own digging. “Well, umm… You know how ah said ah wanted Granny t’hear y’all talk real purty?”

“My dear, I said it was not a good idea;/ To not make her mad is panacea.” Zecora adjusted Applebloom’s mane, looking out the window in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

“Why does everypony think she’ll be mad? Big Macintosh and Applejack thought she might be mad too. But she’s not mad. She did what ah didn’t want her t’do. Ah wanted t’find the right time so’s ah could ask her t’listen to you alone. But she’s goin’ plum crazy agin, wants t’have a great, big to-do with you as the guest. She goes crazy about romancin’ cuz she wants us all hitched. Ah mean… Ah likes that she likes you. But ah didn’t want anythin’ t’be big and fancy. But no. She’s talkin’ ‘bout you ownin’ land, and bein’ all good fer me. And she says yer special; not like cousin Little Strongheart, because you gots yerself a Cutie Mark, and she says that makes y’all like a real pony.”

Zecora stiffened when she heard that statement, especially since it dropped so casually, so innocently, from Applebloom’s mouth. That was what cut so deeply. Applebloom was a genuine innocent. She didn’t understand what she was repeating from her grandmother. Such a terrible thing to do to such a sweet filly. “I understand, and I must attend./ Tell the day; I’ll try to make a friend.”

- - -

Many days later, after one of Granny Smith’s frighteningly efficient party planning sessions and a flurry of cooking and decorating, the initial get together was ready, and lacking only the guest of honor. She finally emerged out of the Everfree forest, trotting grandly and breathing slowly. Zecora was done up in her Grand Veldt best, wrapped with a colorful cloth in sky blue and leaf green, her golden neck bands and bracelets polished perfectly. Her mohawk was wrapped in a high, stiff cloth hat. She balanced a tray on her back, containing a carved representation of a baobab fruit as well as a few small figures of zebras in traditional masks. When she saw the part set up for the greeting she sighed and trotted slowly up to Granny Smith, who was in her rocking chair. “Greetings great mare and granddam of Applebloom./ It is a great pleasure to be brought here./ Your great and generous favor I do not presume,/ Only know that I hold her dear./ I want you to know I appreciate your toil/ And honor your family, workers of the soil.” She turned slightly and offered the tray of objects. “As a token of esteem I offer you these fine wood carvings made with care in my homeland./ May they bring you joy and bring me to mind when they on your mantel stand.”

Granny Smith looked closely at the offered carvings while she slowly nodded her head. “Applebloom was right. Y’really DO know how t’talk purty. All rhymy and all that. Oh and these little carvin’s ‘r lovely. Looks like a… little, odd-shaped apple. And these lil things here. Are these yer zeeaboo gawds an’ such?”

“Granny!” Applejack ran up from a short distance away, trailed by Big Macintosh and Applebloom. “Now, y’all know we don’ use words like that anymore. Welcome t’our humble homestead, miss Zecora. It’s a great honor t’have y’all here.” Applejack shook hooves with Zecora, smiling far too widely and lightly sweating as she did so.

“Eh? How’s that? Well shoot, what am ah supposed to say? Zig-zee? Zeeba? Zeeb?” Granny enumerated all the words she could while her older grandchildren looked scandalized. Applebloom was confused, and Zecora just stared, disbelieving.

“Jes say ‘zebra’, Granny. Or Zecora. Let’s… get to the feastin’ and games, yea?” Applejack quickly led Zecora away from Granny Smith while Big Macintosh took her tray of carvings to be set aside on one of the set tables.

“Big Macintosh, what’s got y’all so upset?” Applebloom looked up at her brother, eyes huge and curious and begging for answers.

“T’aint nuthin’ y’all needs t’concern yerself with.” Big Macintosh walked off, carefully leading Granny Smith while Applebloom lagged behind, still confused.

Away from the more “proper” food tables set with sit-down meals were tables of small morsels beside traditional games like horseshoe toss, hay bale throwing, barrel slalom and target bucking. Granny Smith settled herself into a second rocking chair placed in the vicinity of the games. “Now ah’m not sure what sort of games zee… ZEBRAS play. But ah thinks y’all’ll like our little selection. They’s good fun! Like that there horseshoe toss. Now ah knows that you zebras ain’t had much experience with horseshoes ‘n’ suchlike, but they’re not so hard t’work out in the game.”

None of the grandchildren interrupted. Those that had a mind to were simply flummoxed by the audacity of what they had heard. Zecora, as before, looked entirely disbelieving. Applebloom, for her part, was already dragging Zecora over towards the horseshoe range. “Come on, Zecora! Let’s throw a few and see how we do.”

With Zecora and Applebloom out of earshot, Applejack sidled up beside Granny Smith and tried to look very friendly. “Now, Granny, ah knows that y’all has been around a long time and ah knows that y’gots yer ways about ya. But… Jes try to hold back all that talk ‘bout how zebras act ‘r’ what they kin do ‘r’ what they know. Ok? It’ll jes make it a whole lot easier.”

Granny Smith looked a little bit indignant, shaking slightly more than usual. “Don’t you talk t’yer granny like that! Ah knows what ah’m doin’! Now let me do mah job. Ah’ve had no complaints from yer mare. Go on, then. Get to th’games an’ such. We gotta keep the zig-zee interested in Applebloom.” The older mare settled comfortably in her chair, not noticing the horrified looks passing between the siblings as they walked away.

The games went off without a hitch, mostly because Granny Smith was sated far enough away that she couldn’t make comments that were noticed amidst the cheering and playing. Zecora, despite her attire, excelled at the barrel slalom, and did reasonably well with horseshoe tossing and target bucking. Her strength wasn’t enough to do well at hay bale tossing, but the Apple grandchildren could see her skill was in agility. During that time they had been enjoying little bits of food like fritters and small tarts, and went to the snack tables whenever a game was over. After a rather close barrel slalom race between Zecora and Applejack the quartet went to the table again. “Whew! That there was some kinda race. Ah expect it outta Rainbow Dash but ah gotta say, miss Zecora, y’all got some legs on you.”

Zecora smiled and nodded to Applejack. “Thank you Applejack my friend,/ I thought I had you at the end.”

Applejack laughed softly. “Rainbow Dash thinks that too. But she’s surprised all the time when ah…”
The whole party stopped when they saw the snack table. Granny Smith was there, working a knife through the tough rind of a cantaloupe, smiling her gummy smile at the approaching youngsters. “Ah thought ah’d cut a little fresh fruit. Zeebs like muskmelon, right? Oh! And ah saw you runnin’ with mah Applejack. Ah guess it’s true y’all zeebs are fast.”

- - -

Dinner was a slightly formal affair: salads heavy on apples, vegetable soup, barbecued carrots and broccoli, funnel cakes and apple pie. Through it all Granny Smith was filled with comments. Her flowery compliments and positive comments were all tainted by her casual usage of improper terminology and assumptions that were wild generalizations, everything from physical traits to social myths. Applejack and Big Macintosh could barely eat, they were too busy looking horrified. Applebloom ate only a little bit, but that was because she was watching Zecora. The zebra looked fairly stoic, but there was some hurt behind her eyes, and that bothered the young filly.

The gathering ended with some square dancing, with Granny Smith calling the moves and Zecora gamely following along, under the pall of, “Don’ worry ‘bout nuthin’ kinfolk. Ah hears zebras ‘r’ good at dancin’.” Though Applebloom had fun do-si-do-ing and promenading with Zecora, she could see the hurt behind her eyes was worse than before.

“Well, that was yer first Apple Family soir-ee. Ah sure as HAY hope it ain’t yer last. Ah mean… Ah wanted it t’be. But ah also know yer good fer mah lil sis. And Granny’s gonna want y’all wined and dined. So… Oh miss Zecora, ah hope Granny didn’t scare y’all off.” Applejack hugged Zecora tightly and seemed unwilling to let go.

“I must admit it was strange./ But there was nothing I would change.” Zecora smiled an insincere smile and returned Applejack’s hug.

“Ah’m gonna walk Zecora back home and stay the night. Is that alright, sis?” Applebloom looked up at her sister with a cheery, energetic smile.

“Yea… Yea, Applebloom. That’s probably best. Go on then, keep miss Zecora company.” Applejack nodded her head towards the forest and smiled as the pair walked off.

The trip through Everfree was a strange one. Applebloom excitedly bounced around Zecora for the first half of it, chattering animatedly about how exciting things had been and how special she felt, being the center of attention this time. She stopped abruptly, however, when she realized that Zecora wasn’t responding to anything she said, and seemed to be deep in thought, considering some kind of sad thing given the look in her eyes. As soon as she realized that, Applebloom put a halt to her bouncing and walked as quietly and seriously as Zecora.

Back at the hut, Zecora quickly shed her attire and slumped down before the fireplace, not even bothering to light it. It was Applebloom who brought logs one at a time and stuffed dried moss into the crack, igniting the whole thing with some flint and steel, as she had been shown. “Zecora? What’s the matter? Y’all never leave the fire out like that. And y’seemed so sad durin’ all of that hootenanny, when all we was tryin’ t’do was make y’all feel welcome.”
Zecora smiled, a little of the sadness leaving her as she regarded the innocent filly. “I know with many questions you burn,/ but it is not for little filly’s concern.”

“But ah’m not jes a lil filly! Granny threw a party! That means yer special. And it means ah’m special an’ growin’ up, cuz that party was jes like the ones we have fer Rainbow Dash! Ah may not have a Cutie Mark but ah knows when sumthin’ is wrong. AJ an Big Macintosh kept looking at each other an’ bein’ embarrassed whenever Granny said her funny words. But ah didn’t even unnerstand them. Why was everypony actin’ so strange?”

Zecora bent down, and tenderly kissed Applebloom on the forehead. She had to look at the filly, who was growing by leaps and bounds with every lesson she and the Cutie Mark Crusaders learned, and with every day that passed. She couldn’t be protected from the big, bad world. What little of that big world was bad could take root in a little one and grow up big, strong and poisonous. Like a gnarled, infected tree. There was little remaining from bad times. But she had heard the stories, and had seen a few who were still so terrible. The words cut to the heart, because they came from somepony who believed them. “Listen well to what I assert:/ Careless words can truly hurt./ Your heart may be unspotted pure/ But your listener cannot be sure./ Learn this well and never stray…/” Zecora leaned in to hug Applebloom tightly. “Never drop innocence away.”

Applebloom was confused. She just didn’t understand what had happened. The funny old words meant nothing to her, and she didn’t know how they could make her siblings nervous, or Zecora upset. And to some degree, on some level, it didn’t matter. It was enough to know that they did. That was innocence. Never knowing what made something bad. Only knowing it was. She had no need to learn the why. It was enough that it made those she loved upset. “Don’t y’all worry none. Ah’ll never be like Granny. Never.”

The End

Comments ( 48 )

Dear Celestia, how did you learn to rhyme like that?! I could actually hear Zecora's voice during all of her lines, and the rhyming didn't sound forced at all. Damn, I'm impressed. :ajsmug:

83957

I finished a poetry course last quarter and still had all my notes. Also, I carefully controlled the rhymes and the meter. In fact, I wanted to try working in three specific types of poetry: Ballad Stanza (quatrain of alternating tetrameter and trimeter rhyming ABCB); Venus and Adonis Stanza (six lines of iambic pentameter with rhymes ABABCC); and some useage of trochaic octameter (a line of eight trochees, which are like the opposite of an iamb; The Raven was written mostly in this.)

Glad you liked it :rainbowkiss:

That poetry course really showed in that fic. It also shows the problem with the typical racist grandma, she has been brought up that way and sticks to it and even if they don't mean to be racist they already have been 'programmed' by their parents to think in these stupid stereotypes. That of course leads to situations like this, the nicer granny smith was trying to be the worse her racism got.

84000

That's exactly where I was going with it. The horrible part is, you can't hate her. She doesn't mean to be a hideous bigot. Not that shew ISN'T, to donkeys and buffalo and such, but she's not intending it towards zebras. But even "They dance good" "they run fast" and "they like muskmelon" are just that, coming unbidden.

84009

True words, even 'compliments' can be racist. It sounds a little strange but I think I can relate to the 'they must like melon' stereotype best. Since I'm german most people would assume that I love sauerkraut but truth is I can't stand the stuff.

*Before I finish the story*
JEEBUZ! Granny Smith's SERIOUSLY RACIST!

*Aand after I finish, The other half*

*After I finished*

*Sputters* WH-b-b-but...-but....Jeez! Granny's STILL a HEEEUUUUUUUGE Racist, Zecora's actually upset, AppleBloom is worried for her, but in the end, I think that Zecora and applebloom are cloer than ever....
Also, Did Granny REALLY think tat AppleBloom was smitten with Zecora? If anything, i thought Zecora Was so fond of her, because she always wanted to have a Foal, while AppleBloom looked up to her like the Aunt that has a sworn duty to Spoil her Grand/Step Children.
...Imma read it again.
ALLONS-Y!

84044
Granny thinks Applebloom is smitten with Zecora because... she is. Just my personal ship but I find it cute.

Applebloom is both being mentored and is engaging in pre-dating. And Zecora is finding more and more reasons to never go home again. Applebloom is a good reason to stay around. She's just going to get older, more mature, and more suitable for marriage.

84035
Heh. I get that too. I'm pretty hispanic looking and everyone assumes I like hot foods and Mexican cooking. I actually prefer Bristish food. Weird but true. :moustache:

84071 Indeed, everyone assumes that because I'm English I can't cook. My family has Michelin stars in it, for goodness' sake!

...

Ahem. Sorry. Now then. Excellent fic, and I liked the metres you used very much indeed. It just... sounded like Zecora, and Granny Smith sounds like my own grandmother. Especially since my best friend's black (yeah, we've had a lot of awkward moments)/

Softcore racism is still racism no matter how you slice it. But you can't blame Granny Smith for trying. Excellent read, this. Take five of these stars.

You ruined a perfectly good fic with shipping. And an unusual one at that. But all the same it was well written and incredibly enjoyable to read.

I'd rather Appleblooms relationship with Zecora was purely platonic, mother daughter type, with Zecora being a replacement for Appleblooms dead parents.

84341

Mother anda daughter... Dude, that's freaky :moustache:

I blame you for this. It's Christmas morning, I woke up in the middle of the night and now I'm reading a wonderful meditation on the nature of racism and innocence and it is ponies. You are to blame.

The whole shipping aspect is a bit weird and awkward due to the generational/age difference, but otherwise a nice little story. Well done. :3

I love the "old people ate racist" jokes. We have had to correct my grandmother a few times for things like this. Another story that earns my 4.5 of approval. I must say that I am glad that you are a writer with the ability to use proper grammar. I heard Zecora well in most places. A few times the words used seemed like words she wouldn't use. I also noticed the same mistake everyone makes with the apple family, namely adding an s to the end of verbs that don't need them. Most won't care about that though.

Ironically i'm okay with the shipping (If we have alicorn, that are practically the ponies GREAT grandmothers, than i'm okay with it.)

its a very good story

85044
I guess it's just me, but the generational/age difference isn't as big of a deal because I think of Equestria in a sort of older-timey way. And my two of my grandparents were married with, like a thirteen year age difference. That's almost an entire generation. Plus the age of consent was different, and I imagine it's so here. Post cutie mark plus or minus a few years depending.

I like this pairing truthfully (And to lot of you, if you are able to ship spike with different ponies, than you shouldn't bellyache

Even though I want to stab your Granny Smith in the neck with an ice pick, the casual racism (specism?) had my laughing the whole time. Near the middle I started to wonder if it was a test, then decided nope, she's just old. I really love this version of Equestria you've set up, only three more stories and the Utena play to go.

Oh, perfect Zecora; she's one of my favorites.

116445

Thank you, thank you. I'm glad you like it. I really like this Equestria, a functioning bureaucracy/ministry Principality headed by living goddesses. But surrounded by other nations.

Umm Fillyfooler here just asking is the word 'fillyfooler' used in this because if it isn't could you please move it from the group just cause of the rules i set down at the start. Now I know that being a big bad controller will get me no where but I did sorta say only works with the word 'fillyfooler' in them would be allowed. So if there is please inform me, if not please remove.

293835
Well, at least you're a kinder, gentler overlord. I actually thought I had put it in here (Granny Smith loves to mention that AJ is a Filly fooler because it gives her normalcy in social status.) If I didn't remember to put it in, I will, in a minute.

Are you saying only fics with that term are allowed? Because I have one with zero direct shipping and only two characters that uses the term but has no actual lesbian content. How would that be tagged?

293858
Ah sorry forgot that, the fic is quite good actually and your other question I guess when I made the rules I really just wanted a group of my own where I could expose people to my fics, then I got members and now I'm sorta just going with the rules so sure go ahead, but not like hate fics please.

293867

Ahhh, no. It's actually "The Discarded son." Granny Smith gushes over Applejack's social normalcy in being a filly fooler.

Well thought out and executed to perfection as always! This story really touched me as I had been in a zebra/pony relationship for ten years all while living in the deep south. It's exactly as the vibe your story gives. Well meaning but rude and a bitch to endure so that you don't seem like the ass in the situation.

513049

Hard to handle the casual racism because no one seems to realize that they're being evil. The surrounding culture scaffolds the negativity and makes it the bare bones base. I applaud your courage :yay:

Painful yet poignantly written. Nicely done.

Very interesting, this one. Though, something confuses me a bit. On your page you list a story thread as "The Unfavorite-The Nightwatch-Hatred Would be better...-The Unsuitable". But I can't find what links them all. Zecora is in the middle two, but not the others. Bad Apple is in the first two, but not this one or Unsuitable, if I remember correctly. Luna is in three, but not this one, as well.

P.S. I know I've been making a lot of comments lately. I've been going through most of your stuff, and I like your style.

1942100

Hey, more comments is good. They make all this writing worthwhile and there's no substitute for that.

It's a combination of all the characters, actually. The Unfavorite shows Bad Apple Meeting Luna, starting a branching chain. The Nightwatch has Bad apple injured by the monster of hate and healed by Zecora (She seems to be a go-to; she tends to him again in "Apple Shrugged" but in a private suite in Canterlot). Hatred Would be better... is more on Zecora and Applebloom, which is really about showing how Zecora interacts with the rest of the Apples, but it can also be implied to be a lead in to The Unsuitable where Zecora gets rewarded for her loyalty and skill, with Luna's thanks for her efforts, and a subtle indication they will someday be kin.

1976128

Ah yes, I forgot that they show up in The Unsuitable's ending. All I remembered from that one was Luna insulting a buch of nobles with old-fashioned English.

With what you said regarding your Equestria being a bit "old timey" what most people need to remember is that up until as late as the early 1900s (circa 1910), the average age for marriage was about 14 or 15 years. Girls would often get married off as soon as they began menstruating so they could give birth to as many children as possible since, for most families, children were required to help support the family. Your average family didn't live to be much older than their 50s, and the infant mortality rate was incredibly high. Plus mothers could easily die in childbirth as well. So if we're talking this Equestria sees relationships as similar to 18th/19th century views then Zecora/Applebloom is totally fine.

Aside from all that, I thought it was a wonderful fic what dealt well with the topic of racism.

1990668

And oddly... it's not even really about racism. Just the aftermath thereof when the generations are changing. The old words sting even without venom in them.

And I always thought of the Equestrian age of majority as 16, time enough for puberty to be settled and for schooling to be settled, with the following choice of trade/technical specialties or higher education.

Nicely done. That was a clever way to explore an uncomfortable but very real issue.

Also, Zecora and Applebloom are cute together. :pinkiehappy:

2368706

Glad someone else thinks so. It's a hard ship to find, even harder than DiamondSilver. Or Scootabelle.

I loved this :heart: It was painful to read some parts and associate it to real life, not in a bad way, I mean in a really awesome way :pinkiehappy: Plus I love Zecora x Apple Bloom :heart::heart::heart: There simply isn't enough of it!

Thanks for a great read!

2377456

Thank you. Life is often painful. But it must happen and be endured. And yes, Applebloom and Zecora are a cute couple.

I loved this fic. Zecora doesn't often get represented well on this site, but you nailed it, and the hurt she experienced felt real; she wanted to be happy and knew that Granny Smith wasn't being intentionally racist, but it was nevertheless there. I hope a sequel is in the works, as this pairing is wholly unique and masterfully written.

2397069

It is hard to manage in large doses. Between the rhyming and the limited number of things they can do (it's a jail bait wait after all) it is best used in the background. See: The Unsuitable, Dames of the Tea Table- My Fair Fair, Pets of Ponyville- Chapter four, Revelatory Filly Skydance.

Applejack and Big Mac are spineless who need to learn that just because granny is older doesn't mean she's above enlightenment.

2476838

If she wanted to she could banish them from the family and not lose a night of sleep over it. She banished her own firstborn son. She's fairly ruthless.

I would like to say how much I love this and how much I would love to see a continuation of the story. Maybe when Applebloom is older and the two can truly be together! A+ and :moustache:

2747802

Thank you very much!

Much like certain other pairings I find it hard to work them into single stories properly. They just work better in small, adorable doses. But I really would love to show them after marriage.

It's sad that most of the time that bubble of innocence is popped and corruption settles. I wish I could go back to it. When I was a kid old enough to talk I wanted to be black because they looked special and different, as all I had ever seen in my few years was white people. It's stupid that the world is still plagued with this nastiness. :fluttercry:

oasi

Protip: the plural of oasis is oases.

Curses. And I can't fix it now.

5731857

A frustrating read for the simple reason that nowhere, not even in an A/N, is it made clear that this isn't a standalone story. That's unfair on new readers who might stumble upon it randomly. I guessed it might be part of its own universe after that unexplained "Cannonites" reference, but still. The explanation for Zecora's rhyming was a nice one, though.

Some people are beyond enlightenment. You try to explain but they just don't get it. And you are right, Granny could banish them if she so desired. People don't speak up, not only from fear but because they know it would do no good. Trying to enlighten some people is like trying to teach a pig to sing: it 's a waste of of time and it only annoys the pig.

Login or register to comment