• Published 11th Mar 2022
  • 984 Views, 7 Comments

If I Could Love Again... - Petalled



Twilight falls in love again but is scared the cycle will repeat itself.

  • ...
7
 7
 984

~ 4 ~ 04 ~ Shifted Passion

Sunset helped Twilight get back up from the ground as she came through the portal. They weren't sure if they will ever get the hang out of it.

They walked up towards the school and climbed the stairs to reach inside. Once they got in, the bell rang and everyone was soon crowding the area which felt like deja vu to the two girls. After making themselves out, they walked toward the gymnasium to see all of their friends holding onto drinks.

''Hey girls,'' Twilight greeted once they came over. ''Did I miss anything?''

''Nope,'' Applejack replied with a smile. ''With Sunset tellin' you everything through that journal of y'all, you didn't miss a great darn thing.''

''Well, that's a relief.'' Twilight wiped the sweat from her brow and blew a sigh of relief.

''We also heard the latest news from Equestria too,'' said Rarity.

Twilight smiled and then excused herself, and went to grab a drink. She walked over to the table where there was a bowl of punch with Pinkie's head sticking out.

''Hiya, Twi!'' Pinkie said with a bright smile, and Twilight didn't dare question this.

So instead Twilight grabbed hold of a cup and had Pinkie pour pineapple juice into her cup. Twilight thanked her and went back to join her other friends, but when she was about to, she bumped into Flash Sentry because he's only a mere accessory to desperate love life.

Panic got to Twilight's face as she stared at Flash tensely, sweat dripping down the side of her forehead. Her face became pale; she had not planned to talk to him today.

''Flash!'' Twilight blurted out, surprisingly wrapping her arms around his waist. Then she immediately pulled away. ''I, uh... what are you...?''

''What are you doing here?'' Flash asked first, giving a cheeky grin.

Twilight laughed it off as he did the same with her, Sunset looked at them from afar and merely rolled her eyes.

''Flash, there's something I've been meaning to tell you for quite a long time now.''

''Is this about the time we've slept and you rejected me?'' Flash blabbered. ''I forgive you.''

Twilight shook her head. ''No, no, no. It's nothing like that! Well, the truth is... the truth is that I fell in love with Sunset.“

Flash looked at her in surprise. ''Well, that was quite unexpected.''

''I know you're going to hate me—what?'' Twilight stared at him.

Flash squeezed her shoulder and walked around her as she turned herself around to trail her gaze after him.

''At first, I really thought you rejected me,'' Flash began. ''But it turns out you were just trying to see for yourself if we were meant to be. You and Sunset were surprising, but sometimes you're able to take a risk in life in order to know what you need, and what you need had been right in front of you all this time.''

Twilight's smile grew soft, thinking back to how she and Sunset had been through so much together. Despite the similar crushes/kisses they had, they ended up together in the end and they were happy and that's what really matters.

''Thank you, Flash,'' Twilight whispered with a smile.

''It's no problem at all,'' Flash said as he returned her smile. ''Just make sure you come back again so we can talk more and maybe we can share our love lives.''

Twilight giggled. ''it's a deal.''

And with that, she walked back to her friends who all gave her teasing smiles.

''What?''

''I gotta say, Twi.'' Rainbow put an arm on Twilight's shoulder. ''Even though you're dating Sunset, you're still pretty cute with practically anyone.''

''Oh, you mean TwiDash?'' Pinkie asked as she popped her head to the surface of the bubbling punch bowl.

Rainbow's cheeks heated up. ''No, Pinkie Pie!''

''Oh, good.'' Pinkie wiped the sweat from her brow.

Rainbow rolled her eyes and kissed her girlfriend on the cheek who instantly jumped out of the punch bowl to wrap her hands around her girlfriend even if it made her get soaked.

''Ugh. Pinkie Pie...''

Sunset walked over to Twilight's side and kissed her cheek. ''Also, about Princess Celestia...“ She frowned and turned away.

Twilight frowned in turn. ''She forgives you and I've hurt her many times before too. But she's a kind-hearted, benevolent ruler who forgives and gives ponies a second chance.''

''I guess you're right about that,'' Sunset agreed with a smile and noticed Rarity talking with Flash Sentry. Her frown returned, but then a grin of pride took place.


Sunset and Twilight watched as the moon began to rise over the horizon. The stars peeked through as the clouds got cleared away, and the moon slowly rose over the skyline, the light making its way down and shining across the meadow and everyone else.

Twilight breathed in and out a satisfied sigh, a grin making its way on her face. She laid her head on her crossed arms on the cold grass as her girlfriend took off her jacket and wrapped it around her withers to keep her warm. But Twilight could also sense that Sunset was feeling cold too so returned the favor of draping the jacket on Sunset's shoulders too.

Flattered, Sunset smiled down at her girlfriend. ''I love you,'' she whispered, nuzzling her.

''I know you do,'' Twilight replied with a child-like giggle before resting again, her head leaning against her girlfriend as the warmth radiated back and forth. ''I love you too.''

With a winning smile, Sunset reached downward to nuzzle her muzzle against her girlfriend's until she planted a light smooch on it, petting it like a teddy bear.

Biting her lip, Twilight looked up and there was a hint of lust in both of their eyes. She made the move and kissed Sunset on the lips, never wanting to pull away and adding continuous passion to the kiss. When Twilight made herself over her girlfriend, she opened her eyes and disconnected their lips once she realized what she had done.

''I'm sorry I-“ Twilight quickly apologized, bowing her head. “I guess I got carried away.“

Sunset frowned and grabbed her girlfriend's hand, interlocking their fingers. “Twilight, you know you can steal a kiss whenever you'd like. I'm all yours, babe.“

Twilight's face flushed red. “It's hot when you say 'babe'.

Unfortunately, Sunset had heard that. She gave a mischievous smile and lifted her girlfriend's chin. “Babe, look at me.“

Twilight's blush deepened as she looked away. Sunset's grin became broader and pinned her girlfriend to the ground, stealing a kiss from her. They continued to stay like that for a few good minutes or so.

Sunset hardened and put pressure on the kiss, deciding to use her tongue. Twilight's cheeks colored red despite enjoying it and just went with it.

They departed for a while and Twilight spoke, “you know, it's weird. I used to be a filly so interested in books but also filly fooling for my mentor and foal sitter. And now, I'm currently with somepony who's experienced the same love life.“

Sunset smiled and lay on her back. “I guess we really were meant for each other.“

Twilight lay next to her as well, and Sunset outlined her girlfriend's face.

“You know...“ Sunset continued, “if there's anything I learned about love from Cadance is that Destiny always has a way of doing things. Celestia and Cadence may be our soulmates but Destiny, no, Harmony gave you to me and me to you for a reason.''

“Funny thing is we lost faith in harmony...“

Sunset frowned deeply.

But Twilight sniffed and nodded, a small smile slowly making its way, and a lone happy tear dropped onto her girlfriend's shirt and they nestled into one's embrace.


Rarity had entered the cafe to spot Sunset Shimmer waving at her seated at one of the tables. She smiled and walked over to sit down next to her friend.

''So what did you want to talk to me about, Sunset?'' Rarity asked, taking ahold of her milkshake on the table Sunset had ordered for her before her arrival.

Sunset glanced down. ''I, uh... I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. I know I have before, but this time I'm not apologizing for myself. It's about you and Flash.''

Rarity's face turned bleak. ''Oh, err...''

''The old me was really cruel, I know, but truth be told I've actually wanted to split the two of you apart because I wanted to be with you.'' She paused to see Rarity's reaction. ''I mean I noticed how beautiful you were and still are, but I also needed to use your popularity to get me to be known here. But then I... fell in love with you.''

''I...'' Rarity was speechless. She didn't know what to say but just smile, smile not because she wanted to but because of her friend's sake. She grabbed Sunset's hand and looked at her with a subdued smile. ''Truth be told, darling, Flash and I were going to break up eventually. I figured that he wasn't the one for me.''

Sunset blinked. ''What? But the two of you would always be prom king and queen and—''

''—And that doesn't mean we are truly meant for each other,'' Rarity pressed on, still wearing that smile. ''I realized that I had loved Applejack all along ever since we first met. She even felt the same way till then but gave up on trying to get through my 'snob' side, as she phrased it.''

''Yep. Sounds like you,'' Sunset agreed as she giggled, leaning back with relief washing over her.

''But still. It's nice we've talked about this. I've actually wanted a girl's talk just the two of us.'' She then looked at Sunset with teasing, flirtatious eyes. ''Sooo how is your relationship with Princess Twi...I mean Twilight Sparkle?''

“Oh, she's wonderful,“ Sunset responded with dreamy eyes.

Rarity giggled. “So I could tell. Anyway, how about your, uhh, friendship with Flash Sentry?“

''Ugh, don't even get me started!'' Sunset averted her dreamy gaze to roll her eyes. ''Seriously, he wanted to get back with me then Twilight finally had the guts to tell him that we're dating. I swear that guy has no game. I don't know what you used to see in him, Rares.''

''Trust me, I don't know either. I don't know what on earth I was thinking. Though, he was charming at times... like I remember the time he brought me roses of my favorite color! He remembered...'' Her eyes oozed over ever so slightly, then sat back up and cleared her throat. ''Alas, despite Applejack's... rustic nature, I do say she is quite rustically charming.''

''Ooh. Let me guess, she takes you out on dates to that hill where a gazebo is in her apple orchard?''

''Bingo!'' Rarity grinned. ''The sunset is quite beautiful up there. It's especially romantic and... personal to the two of us. I'm lucky to have her.''

Sunset leaned forward, grinning wide. ''You know, we have all been shipping you two...''

Rarity blinked. ''You have?''

Sunset gave a sheepish smile.

''It's just too cute!'' she protested. ''So which one of you is popping the question up?''

Rarity rolled her eyes. ''It's a bit too early now, don't you think? After all, we've barely graduated. I'm sure Applejack would after graduation.''

''Just because she's masculine?'' Sunset asked, raising an eyebrow.

''...Quite,'' she replied, grinning sheepishly. ''I know ladies can do it too now but I much prefer the traditional way. I'm sure Applejack prefers that way too as she is a mare of her word and a traditionist. Or perhaps we'll try to propose at the same time through a trick we'll play on each other?''

''Ooh.'' Sunset seemed intrigued, leaning forward. ''And what trick is that?''

Rarity bent forward to whisper, ''well...''