• Published 11th Mar 2022
  • 983 Views, 7 Comments

If I Could Love Again... - Petalled



Twilight falls in love again but is scared the cycle will repeat itself.

  • ...
7
 7
 983

Intermission: A Talk With Princess Cadence

The sound of humming refracted amongst the crystalline walls as Princess Twilight Sparkle made her way through the corridor in the Crystal Empire, reaching the big doors leading to a throne room.

''Princess Twilight?'' said a guard. ''Is everything all right?''

Twilight looked at the guard and it was the same guard she kept bumping into. She then shook her head and gave the guard a mere nod in reply.

''Yes, Sir Sentry,'' she replied. ''I'm all right. I just need to talk with Cadence.''

Flash nodded and stepped out of the way as the unicorn guards began using their magic to open the big double doors for the princess to skip her way inside. Inside, Twilight's heart still fluttered with butterflies at the sight of a beauty of a goddess. She still looked so regal and majestic, but then she snapped herself out of it.

No, Twilight. You've talked this out with her and besides, you have a girlfriend.

That's a reason why Twilight wanted to come and see her sister-in-law.

''Twilight!'' came the friendly voice of Cadence. She stepped down from her throne and ran towards the violet alicorn to give her a quick hug. ''I'm so glad you came. I was starting to think you wouldn't since it'd be awkward for you.''

Twilight rubbed the side of her hoof with her other hoof as she sheepishly tittered.

''I'm really sorry about that, Cadence,'' she apologized, head hanging low. ''But I do have good news for you!''

Cadence tilted her head and smiled. ''Oh?''

Twilight glanced from both sides to see no one listening in. She stepped closer and leaned in.

''I...'' she started to say, ''...have a girlfriend!''

Cadence's usually soft eyes grew their size. ''Really? I'm so proud of you, Twilight! Wait till I tell your brother!''

When she was about to walk toward the doors, Twilight instantly gripped her hoof.

''Actually, I'm not ready!'' she exclaimed in a rush.

Cadence turned around to look at her, noticing the frown on her sister-in-law's face. Her eyes softened again, and her head nodded with understanding.

''I understand,'' she said, smiling. ''I won't if you don't feel comfortable.''

Twilight smiled.

That's what she liked about her; always so caring and considerate.

''Thank you,'' she whispered.

''No problem,'' Cadence said, nuzzling her. Then she pulled away with a smirk. ''So, who is the mare?''

Twilight's cheeks heated up and turned a shade of red. ''Well, you know Princess Celestia's former student who stole my crown? Well, in the process, we... fell in love.''

Cadence gasped, covering her mouth. ''Twilight...''

''And, well, she's really great!'' she continued, visibly sweating. ''When she kissed me, there was a spark much similar to when I kissed you but this one was better. I'm not saying you aren't a good kisser; it's just that...''

And at that, Cadence placed a hoof amongst her muzzle.

''I get it,'' she said softly. ''I'm just glad you found a mare that could make you happy.''

Twilight smiled and took out the breath she didn't know she had been holding for this long.

''And about that Flash Sentry,'' Twilight continued. ''After we slept together, I realized how he wasn't the one.''

Cadence's eye twitched. ''You... what?''

Twilight sheepishly grinned. ''Oops?''

''Twilight,'' Cadence said, taking on a more stern tone. ''Don't you think that's a little fast?''

''I know, I know.'' Twilight sighed. ''But he was a really great kisser! So I just...''

''You played with his feelings, Twilight,'' Cadence said, now strict.

''I know,'' Twilight said quietly, not needing to see the disappointment in Cadence's eyes.

But then Cadence's eyes softened; a sense of empathy filling her pupils. She lifted Twilight's chin to meet her gaze with her usually friendly one.

''But I get that you were only trying to see for yourself,'' Cadence said understandingly. ''Sometimes you have to be willing to take a risk to know what you need even if it might be able to hurt the other.''

Twilight looked into her eyes, her heart was beating. A sense of motherly nature gripped her.

A smile took place on Cadence's lips and she pulled away. ''Now, care to stay over for dinner?''

''I'm... I'm fine,'' said Twilight, smiling. ''T-Thank you.''

Cadence's smile softened and she brought her sister-in-law into a warm hug, Twilight's tears slowly letting loose.

Twilight eventually pulled away and sniffed, wiping at her eyes. ''Cadence, about my new pupil I took under my wing. I think she has something going on with my arch-nemesis.''

Cadence arched an eyebrow. ''Didn't you forgive Trixie, though, and gave her a hoof in friendship?''

The younger alicorn frowned. ''I did, but she's just so... arrogant. Even worse than Rainbow!''

Cadence shook her head. ''Twilight, she's a stage magician. Stage magicians are like that. Of course, she overdoes it but it's just in her nature. All you have to do is understand her.''

Twilight looked thoughtfully on the ground, then brought her gaze back up. ''Okay.''

The Princess of Love smiled. ''And yes, I also see something between the two. StarTrix and Sunlight.''

''But what about Sunburst?'' Twilight added. ''He and Starlight are childhood friends and they reconnected!''

''No offense, Twilight, but I don't think Sunburst is meant to be with Starlight or anyone per se. He and Starlight barely even made it through the friend stage so who is to say there will be something more between them?''

''But!'' she wailed.

Cadence put up a hoof. ''Stereotypical straight relationships?''

Twilight's mouth hung open, but Cadence gently put it back up again.

''Now.'' Cadence put her hoof on the crystal floor again. ''Where were we? Oh, yes. Would you like to stay for dinner, Twilight?''

''I would love to, but I promised AJ and Rarity to go to a restaurant here.''

Cadence giggled at that. ''Very well, then. The greatest restaurant here would probably be the Crystal Palace. That's where Shining and I have dates after leaving Flurry with Sunburst. I just hope you do a good job of pairing the two up.''

Twilight's mouth opened wide. ''How do you... how do you know I was going to do that?''

She rolled her eyes. ''I'm the Princess of Love, Twilight.''

''Yeah, but...'' Twilight frowned. ''You didn't know I was in love.''

''Probably because you were so well-hidden,'' Cadence explained. ''By the way, did you by any chance like Celestia too?''

Twilight's eyes went wide and her wings flared open. In an instant, she rushed her way out the door, leaving Cadence releasing a set of smitten giggles.