• Published 1st Apr 2022
  • 1,235 Views, 286 Comments

Ideas Entwined - FanOfMostEverything



Sixes_and_Sevens offered a bunch of either/or prompts. I chose both.

  • ...
3
 286
 1,235

Nothing But the Tooth

Granny Smith was an old, old mare.

This went without saying, in the sense that if you did say it, you’d get clipped around the ear. But every year it grew harder to ignore that Granny had outlived all of her siblings, many of her cousins, and a good number of her children. (Anypony who believed Bright Macintosh was her only foal was welcome to browse some of the fine offers at Flimflam Brothers Realty.) And even among the Apples, who saw a hundredth birthday as a sign to think about limiting one’s workday to a mere fourteen hours, she seemed awfully spry for a mare her age.

Some said it was the zap apples, the infamously demanding fruit preserving the one mare who knew how to properly preserve them. Some suspected Celestia, Granny’s longevity being but one part of an unfathomably intricate plot to restore Luna that only looked like coincidence and providence. Some just shrugged; Granny wasn’t the only gracefully aging never-you-mind-year-old in Equestria, even if she was in an increasingly rare cohort.

Whatever their thoughts on the matter, everypony agreed that it definitely wasn’t because Granny was a witch.

That was not to say that witchcraft was frowned upon in Equestria in and of itself. Certain big city unicorns might sniff disdainfully at more down-home forms of applied magic, but hedge mages, storm shamans, seed whisperers, and other ancient mystical traditions thrived throughout the land. They just did it far from academia, which was largely dominated by formally educated unicorns whose unicorn-provided formal education taught them that anypony who wasn’t a formally educated unicorn was superstitious at best and a charlatan at worst. And many had unfortunate reactions to any inconvenient parts of reality that might put that education into question.

As such, Granny Smith definitely wasn’t a witch. Though if she were a witch, she’d be a damn good one. And definitely smart enough not to do anything obvious when Twilight Sparkle or her student were watching.

Granted, every pony has her blind spots, and an Apple’s is as obvious as the central theme of her cutie mark.


“You’ve never heard of the Tooth Breezie?” If the Crusaders' clubhouse had glass in the windows, Sweetie Belle's cry would've shattered them

As it was, Apple Bloom just shook her head as she waited for the ringing in her ears to fade. “Nope.”

“Weird," said Scootaloo. "I thought your family had at least five folksy legends about everything.”

Apple Bloom scrunched her muzzle, opened her mouth, and after a few moments of thought, gave a grudging nod. “Okay, yeah, it does feel like that some days. But I ain’t never heard o’ no Tooth Breezie." She gestured towards Ponyville. "Y’all saw ‘em back when they were goin’ through town. I ain’t sure how a breezie’d even lift that thing.”

“That thing” was Scootaloo’s last foal tooth, a chunk of enamel that barely fit in her frog. (Even with magic accelerating evolution, pony teeth had yet to catch up to ponies’ modern, less abrasive diet.) “It’s just Auntie Lofty giving me a bit, but it makes her and Aunt Holiday happy." Her fond, loving smile went off-kilter. "Besides, it’s a free bit.”

Sweetie scowled. “Way to ruin the magic of foalhood.”

“We’ve been through foalhood," Scootaloo shot back. "What magic?”

That got a roll of the eyes before Sweetie turned back to Apple Bloom. “So what do you do with your foal teeth if you don't put them under your pillow?”

“Give ‘em t’ Granny," she said matter-of-factly. "She always says she’ll do what needs doin’ with ‘em.”

The other Crusaders shared an uncertain look. After an uncomfortable pause, Scootaloo grimaced and said, “What needs doing?”

Apple Bloom shrugged. “That’s for Granny t’ worry about.”


Granny pushed a few foal teeth across the kitchen table. “That’s the last o’ Bloomie’s, I’m afraid.”

“Ah. Shame." The minotauroid creature, crown of fangs nearly touching the ceiling even while seated, picked one up with surprising delicacy for a being with so many sharp points. It rolled the tooth in a palm tiled with incisors. Beneath the constant clacking and absence of lips, its voice was a smooth, unaccented baritone. "You’ve had wonderful ones to offer since that new dentist came into town.”

Granny nodded. “Fine work. ‘Course, I ain’t made many appointments for m’self.” She grinned, letting her false teeth rattle just a touch in her mouth.

The creature chuckled, bits of its yellow-white exterior smacking together like so many rattling dice. “Oh, by all means, do so. It would be wonderful to know a fellow professional got to see my handiwork.”

“Bah. I ain’t spent this long just to show off t’ some unicorn an’ her fancy Canterlot degree." Granny rubbed her forehooves together. "Now we doin’ business or what?”

If it were possible for a being made of teeth to smile wider, it did so. “Of course.”

There really is a Tooth Breezie. Her reasons are her own, as inscrutable as those of any fae creature, but she visits each foal only once and leaves nothing tangible in return.

The Tooth Devil, however, not only accepts teeth for money, but also the opposite, and many other exchanges besides.

You don’t have to be a witch to deal with him, but it helps.

Author's Note:

Prompt 29: Apple / “Everyone talks about the tooth fairy. You are her nemesis, the tooth devil.”

Come on, that first part was a gimme.

And I'm sure Twilight would take Apple family witchcraft better than most other CSGU graduates... not there is anything for her to take one way or the other, of course.