• Published 1st Apr 2022
  • 1,235 Views, 286 Comments

Ideas Entwined - FanOfMostEverything



Sixes_and_Sevens offered a bunch of either/or prompts. I chose both.

  • ...
3
 286
 1,235

Star Sign

Rarity had never thought she’d be the kind of mare who led on young stallions. Certainly not while she was still in her twenties. Then she met Spike and…

Well, it had been love at first sight… for him. Puppy love, infatuation, first crush, it had many names and none of them were what Rarity was looking for. Nor, not to put too fine a point on it, were scales. He was a charming little dear, adorable even, but it simply wasn't meant to be.

Then he offered to help her around the shop. It was a transparent attempt to spend more time with her, but at this early stage in Rarity’s career, she needed every edge she could get. Free labor was one of them. (Nearly free; Rarity was happy to ignore the gem bin being a little less well-stocked after Spike paid her a visit.) Even more so free labor with connections in Canterlot, a willingness and ability to act as a living pincushion, and thumbs.

It was wrong, but the kind of wrong that Rarity fretted about in the back of her mind while doing nothing to make things right. She would make amends when she’d clawed her way further up the ladder and was thus in a position to do so. Until then, she had a capable assistant whenever Spike had the time and inclination—for it was one thing to exploit a child, but quite another to demand he come be exploited—to lend a claw of his own.

Today those claws were holding up the back of a gown as Rarity adjusted its fall. “Now, just a bit more work here and we can—”

Like a few of her more disastrous dates, the lovely time ended because of a tremendous belch on the part of her male companion. Though to his credit, Spike never lost his grip and kept his head pointed away from the gown. “Sorry, Rarity.”

“Letters come when they come, darling. You’d best let Twilight know she’s gotten something from the…” Rarity trailed off. She’d seen enough scrolls from Princess Celestia to recognize the gold wax seal and scarlet ribbon. This missive had neither, instead bound in heliotrope and sealed in fuchsia. And the icon on the seal…

“Is that Twilight’s cutie mark?” It lacked the smaller surrounding stars, but the dodecagram design was unmistakable. On its own, anyway. Seeing it rendered in triplicate—

Rarity caught herself and cleared her throat. “Er, not to pry, of course.”

Spike didn't seem to mind, bless him. “Yeah, probably from Grandma Twinkle." He sighed as he trudged towards the door. "This may take a while. I’ll be back as soon as I can, Rarity!”

She waved after him,. “You’re always welcome, Spikey-Wikey. And thank you as always!” As Rarity watched him go, the symbol on the seal nagged at her memory. Her telekinesis scrabbled for a grip where Spike had before. Blasted line of sight. And her unfocused state of mind didn't help either. “Grandma Twinkle, you say…”


Rarity would never admit it to Twilight, but she hadn't exactly been a frequent patron of Golden Oaks before her new friends had moved in. Mrs. Bleaknicker, the previous librarian, had featured largely in several of Rarity's foalhood nightmares. Even now, she feared being too loud within the tree, lest the old nag rise again just to chastise her.

“Aha!”

But fear paled in comparison to the warm glow of having one's suspicions confirmed.

To her credit, Twilight merely looked up from her own reading with a friendly smile. “Find something interesting, Rarity?”

“I should say so, Duchess!

Twilight's ears drooped. “Oh no.”

“Oh yes!" Rarity brandished the library's copy of Twerp's Peerage with triumph, held open to a page absolutely festooned with six- and twelve-pointed stars. "I knew there was something familiar about your cutie mark, Twilight, and now my suspicions are confirmed. Just as I knew an elegant, dignified Canterlot mare like yourself must be part of the august nobility.”

"I'm— You're— You don't..." Twilight clamped her mouth shut for a few moments before she sighed. “Well, you’re not completely wrong.”

Rarity arched an eyebrow. “I don’t see how any part of that could be wrong.”

“I know you have a very... romanticized version of Canterlot, but the reality's a lot less glamorous than you may think," said Twilight, clearly just inured to the splendor of her home. "Any family that’s lived in Canterlot for long enough will end up part of a noble house just so the nobles don’t start developing Strapsburg jaws or cloven hooves.”

“Twilight, your great-great-…" Rarity trailed off as she flipped back a few pages. "Well, there a number more greats involved, but your direct matrilineal ancestor is—”

The Twilight. One of the few legends of the Paleopony Period with solid historical evidence behind her." Twilight rolled her eyes. "Yes. I know. There’s this awful portrait of her up in my parents’ attic. My older brother convinced me she came out of the frame and ate any bad fillies who read under the covers past their bedtime.” She shuddered at her own foalhood boogeymare.

Hold on a moment. “You have an older brother?”

“Never mind. The point is, Grandma Twinkle’s the duchess. Between my aunts, my cousins, the branch houses…" Twilight's gaze went distant for a moment. Conjured shapes flickered in her magic faster than Rarity could track. "I’m maybe twentieth in line for the title.”

“Ah." Rarity flipped back to the modern state of House Twinkle. She had thought the box with Twilight's mark had been a bit small. Scarcely room for a name, even. "Hence why you’ve never brought it up.”

“It’s never been worth bringing up. The only meaningful impact it’s had on my life was my cuteceañera. Technically speaking, it was the social event of the season because of the sheer number of ponies who were obligated to come." Twilight shrugged. "I spent most of it reading in the corner.”

“I see.”

“Disappointed?” The poor dear drooped, dreading the answer.

Rarity moved next to Twilight and offered a friendly nuzzle to reassure her. “Embarrassed. I fear I’ve made a terrible nuisance of myself simply because you’re still the closest thing Ponyville has to nobility.”

“They’re just ponies like you and me. Some are a lot worse.” At least Twilight was able to say that with a smile.

“Let me dream, Twilight.”

“Before I do, I’ve been meaning to talk about my little brother.”

Rarity blinked at the sudden subject change and staggered as Twilight moved away from her. “Whatever do you mean?”

Twilight glared at her harshly enough that for a brief moment, Rarity thought Mrs. Bleaknicker really had made her way back from her retirement in Tallahorsie. “What exactly are your intentions with Spike?”

The plastic, faux-innocent smile on Rarity's lips felt terribly familiar. So did the librarian not being fooled by it. “Ah heh heh…”

Author's Note:

Prompt 27: Sigil / Write one character confronting another.

Yeah, Rarity doesn't exactly come out smelling like a rose in her early interactions with Spike. Climbing up the ranks in the fashion industry can mean stepping on a few people. At least Rarity gets their permission first.

The name "Bleaknicker" is another bit of inspiration appropriated from Estee, part of the same family as the Cruelneighs and, yes, the Harshwhinnys.

Twerp's Peerage, the Who's Whom of Equestria's nobility, comes courtesy of Georg.

And really, Twilight Sparkle being a higher social class. The very idea. :trollestia: