• Published 5th Mar 2022
  • 1,125 Views, 413 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony: Future Incursion - Captain_Cosmos



A simple visit to the Detrot Observatory turns into an unforgettable adventure.

  • ...
5
 413
 1,125

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 24: Daring Adventurers Pt 1

Sparkler held her breath as she looked through a window into a large test area in Canterlogic HQ. She was looking at a metal circle, within which sat the magical signatures that she, Winter, Sunny, and all the kids provided. In little dome capsules spaced evenly around the circle. “So. That’s a Timegate.” She commented.

Night Shade, who was standing next to her, nodded. “Yep. That’s a Timegate. The device that’s meant to enable travel anywhere in the timeline.” He said.

Sparkler nodded. It had been a few weeks since Night Shade first told her of his idea to build the Timegate. Only this morning did she get a message from him saying it was ready to receive the magical signatures. “Thank Faust the kids don’t need to be here for this.” She commented. The fear of the thing blowing up the moment it was turned on drove her to tell Winter and Sunny to take the kids home…with her approval to begin the adoption process should the thing blow and take her out. I’m willing to risk my life but they still have their whole lives ahead. Was her reasoning.

Night Shade took a deep breath before speaking again. “Where in the timeline should we target for a test?” He asked Sparkler.

“It needs to be able to reach back 1,019 years. Let’s go for 2,019 years into the past, the night of Nightmare Moon’s banishment.” Sparkler suggested.

All the eyes in the control room turned to Sparkler. Night Shade raised an eyebrow. “Are you sure that’s necessary?” He asked. “That seems like overkill.”

“If it can handle a 2,000 year jump, half the distance is no problem.” Sparkler reasoned.

Night Shade stared at her for a moment, before nodding at her logic. “Alright then.” He turned to one of his assistants. “Begin time dialing sequence.” He said.

His assistant nodded and the room came to life with activity. The assistant started typing at a keyboard. “Time Coordinates for 0ANMB, targeting.”

They watched as the Timegate began to spin. It increased its speed every second, the magical signatures within started to glow.

The assistant watched his screen as numbers started turning green, indicating a lock on target. “Year increment encoded….month increment encoded…” He announced.

Sparkler held her breath and lit her horn, ready to cast a shield spell should the need arise. Come on…come on… Her heart raised as she prayed to whoever was listening for the Timegate would work.

“Day Increment encoded!” The assistant called out. “One more increment and we—“

The assistant was interrupted when the numbers on his screen suddenly flashed red and the Timegate came to a stop. Sparks flew off of it and it completely shut down.

Night Shade watched the failure and whirled around to his staff. “What happened?” He asked.

“Uh, hang on sir, let me run a diagnostic.” The assistant said.

Sparkler let out a sigh as she dimmed her horn. Night Shade saw her disappointment and offered a smile. “Hey. It was only the first test. And the machine didn’t blow up.” He said.

Sparkler nodded. “Yeah. You’re right.” She said. She glanced at the gate and saw that all the magical signatures were still there. “At least we didn’t lose any magical signatures.”

“Sir, the failure started when the Timegate was trying to process the Time Increment. It couldn’t get a lock on the exact time.” The assistant told Night Shade.

Night Shade nodded in response. “Alright, let’s brainstorm some ideas and see if we can try for another test.” He said.

Three weeks and thirty failed tests later…

“I don’t get it!” Night Shade exclaimed as he and Sparkler walked into his office after ANOTHER failed attempt to get the Timegate to work correctly.

“Another failure.” Sparkler commented.

“We tried rearranging the magical signatures. We tried to slow down the increment processing sequence. And every time we come up with nothing!” Night Shade explained. “It is supposed to be a TIMEgate. A TIME machine. Not a portal to another location. Not a portal to another dimension, a portal to another TIME.”

“Night Shade?” Sparkler asked. “Relax.” She said. She could tell he was stressing out over this.

Night Shade looked at Sparkler, before taking a deep breath. “I’m sorry Sparkler. We’re trying our best here.” He said.

“That’s all I can ask for.” Sparkler responded.

Night Shade nodded. He glanced over at the notebooks that once belonged to Night Mare. “It just doesn’t make sense.” He said as he picked one up and glanced at the cover.

“What doesn’t?” Sparkler asked.

“All of these journals are Night Mare’s research.” Night Shade said as he looked at the covers of everak journals. “And all of them are dated BEFORE you disappeared. But for some reason, I was never able to find any journals dated AFTER you disappeared.” He said.

“Maybe they were just lost with time?” Sparkler asked.

“No, not possible. Night Mare put a forever lasting protection spell on these. These babies can survive being thrown into a volcano. And that protection continued even after magic disappeared.” Night Shade explained. “And ALL of her journals were passed down. I’m sure of it.” He said. “All this makes it look like they never tried bringing you back from their end.” Night Shade reasoned.

Sparkler’s breath hitched in her throat. “Uh, can you not put that thought into my head?” She asked.

“Don’t worry Sparkler. There’s no way in Tartarus they WOULDN’T have tried to bring you back.” Night Shade reassured her. “But no research found in relation to that leaves me wondering.”

Sparkler nodded as she lit her horn and picked up one of the journals. She started flipping through it casually. We have to be missing something. We’re definitely Missing two Alicorn Signatures but there’s no way to get more. What else… She thought.

After several minutes of her and Night Shade looking through journals, Sparkler came to realize something. An idea came to her. “Night Shade.” She said. “Do you know how to get to Detrot from here?” She asked.

“Detrot?” Night Shade asked. “Yeah I know how to get there, but the place is deserted. Abandoned for decades. Plus I already combed it for Night Mare research.” He said. “Why are you asking?”

“Because maybe there’s something in Night Mare’s lab that you missed. Something that could very well help us figure out the problem.” Sparkler reasoned. “If there’s a problem, the best place to go is the source.”

Night Shade thought for a moment…before he started seeing the brilliance in Sparkler’s idea. “Yeah…yeah you’re right! I coulda missed something there. We could very well find the key to making a successful time jump!” He exclaimed.

Sparkler smiled as her hope skyrocketed. “When do you want to leave?” She asked.

“We can leave as soon as we’re ready.” Night Shade said. “You got tell Winter you’ll be out for a few days. I’ll do the same with Phyllis. Meet me behind Canterlogic HQ tomorrow morning.” He told her.

“Got it.” Sparkler said. Hopefully somepony can watch the kids for a few days. She thought.


Sparkler whipped out her phone and opened up the group chat she had with Sunny and her friends.

Sparkler: Hey, is it possible for you guys to watch the kids for a few days? Night Shade and I are going on a trip and I don’t want to put the kids in danger.

Sunny: Sure!

Izzy: You can count on us.

Zipp: Anytime

Pipp: Anywhere.

Sparkler: Thanks guys. I feel like I can’t say that enough for everything.

Sunny: Of course Sparkler. Anytime you need us just holler.

Hitch: I was actually going to ask if the kids wanted to come with me to the Net Cafe tomorrow to play some games. That alright with you?

Sparkler: As long as it’s age appropriate. Yeah.

Hitch: Awesome.

Zipp: Want more recruits for your galactic police force in Albion Sheriff?

Hitch: Ahem. I just thought a space Sandbox game would be fun for the kids is all. New Eden is the number one action space sandbox game right now.

Sparkler: Just make sure the rating is PG Hitch.

Hitch: It is.

Sparkler smiled as she pocketed her phone. Phones really were an incredible piece of technology. And Sunny and her friends are some of the best friends I’ve ever met… She thought. She really couldn’t be more thankful to them for everything…mainly being the kids’ foalsitters.


At the Medley Deli, Winter was busy serving tables. She just served another table when she saw Sparkler enter the building. “Sparkler. Hi.” She said as Sparkler approached. “Not that it’s not always nice to see you but what’re you doing here on your day off?” She asked.

“I’m gonna need to take the next few days off.” Sparkler told her. “Night Shade and I are headed to Detrot for urgent experimental business.” She said. Using the word experimental in place of time portal since they were in the middle of a room full of ponies.

Winter got the message and nodded. “Alright. Thanks for letting me know. When are you leaving?” She asked.

“Tomorrow morning.”

“Right. Ok. Good luck.” Winter said.

“Thanks.” Sparkler responded. After which she left.


“So another failed test?” Sprinkle asked as the family all ate dinner together.

“Yeah.” Sparkler responded. “Another failed test.”

“Ugh. That makes…what? Thirty tests now?” Melody asked.

“31 if you count this latest failed test.” Crystal corrected.

“What could be the problem?” Lightning asked.

“I don’t know sweetie.” Sparkler said. “But Night Shade and I are going to Detrot tomorrow to see if we can dig up anything. We’ll be gone for a few days.”

“Awesome! A trip to Detrot!“ Sky said.

“Oh no. None of you are going.” Sparkler said. “We don’t know what we’ll find there and I am not risking any of your lives.” She told them.

“Awww.” Her kids responded.

“Can I still come?” Spike asked.

“No Spike. You need to stay here too.” Sparkler said.

Spike let out a grumbling “Fine.” Before returning to his gems.

Sparkler sighed. “Look guys, think of it this way, we won’t be distracted and we’ll find something sooner. Hopefully.” She said.

“Yeah. We know.” Trail said.

“Still. Wish we could go on an epic Daring Do style adventure.” Lumber commented.

“What’s Daring Do?” Light asked.

“Only the greatest adventurer in history.” Crystal said. “A Pegasus, out exploring the world and finding treasure. It’s amazing!” She said as she launched into a full blown essay on Daring Do. Which Light and Dark listened intently to.

Later on, while putting the kids to bed, Sparkler tucked Light and Dark in for the night. “Alright you two. Have a good sleep.” She said.

“Hey mom? Can Light and I please come with you to Detrot tomorrow?” Dark asked.

“Dark, I can’t take any kids with me. It’s uncharted territory and we don’t know what we’ll find.” Sparkler said.

“But you’ve been there before.” Lights countered.

“Not in its current state I haven’t.” Sparkler responded. “For all we know the place could be crawling with monsters.”

“We’ll stick close to you.” Light said.

“Yeah. We promise we’ll be good. Please mom?”

Both Light and Dark hit Sparkler with the puppy dog eyes and for good measure, the quivering lips. Sparkler sighed and shook her head. “Alright fine. You two can come.” She said.

“Yay!” Light and Dark said.

“But you are to stick close to me at all times. And if danger abounds, run AWAY from it.” Sparkler told them.

“We will!” Light and Dark said.

Sparkler nodded. If I don’t end up regretting it it will be a miracle.


The next morning, Sparkler, Light and Dark made their way behind Canterlogic HQ, where they found Night Shade standing there with a huge smile on his face. “Morning Night Shade.” Sparkler greeted him.

“Morning Sparkler.” Night Shade said. “Bringing the twins with you?” He asked.

“They asked and I couldn’t refuse.” Sparkler responded.

Night Shade nodded. “Alrighty.” He said excitedly. “Now come on. Let’s get going. I’m so excited that I FINALLY get to put this to use!” He said as he pressed a button and the doors started opening.

Sparkler raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking aboooouuuut….” Sparkler was cut off when something started rolling out of the building. It was big, it had Pegasus wings, and a fan attached to its front?

Night Shade beamed like a little colt as he bounced around the contraption. “This is exciting!” He said repeatedly.

“Night Shade…what is this?” Sparkler asked.

“This, my friend, is how we’re getting to Detrot. I call it the Mechasus! A metal, mechanical Pegasus.” Night Shade responded. “100% safe and guaranteed to fly.” He added.

Sparkler’s mouth was agape. She didn’t know what to say. Light and Dark on the other hoof beamed. “Awesome!”

“We want a ride!” They said as they rushed over to get in.

“Night Shade.” Sparkler said. “Have you used this thing before?” She asked.

“I was the test pilot myself.” Night Shade said. “Trust me.” He said as he got into the Mechasus.

Sparkler wanted to protest. But something told her that Night Shade was speaking from experience. So she just nodded. “I’ll just…follow you I guess.” She said as she spread her wings.

“Suit yourself.” Night Shade said as he threw her a pair of headphones to her. “We’ll use these to communicate. This thing is LOUD.” He said as he fired the thing up.

The fan blades started spinning and wind was blowing everywhere. Sparkler put on the headset. “Are you SURE you can fly this thing?” She asked into the mic.

“Would I ever lie to you?” Night Shade asked.

“You haven’t so far…” Sparkler responded as she watched the Mechasus take off. When it got off the ground, Sparkler flapped her wings and took off after it. If that thing makes it to detrot and back I’ll be impressed. She thought. For now, she’d be on standby, ready to save them if the Mechasus failed.

And so they flew to Detrot.

To be continued…

Author's Note:

Yes. The Timegate even ACTS and is OPERATED like a Stargate.

And hold onto your hats Next episode is gonna be HUGE.

THX FOR READING!

PS. ANMB stands for After Nightmare Moon's Banishment

PreviousChapters Next