• Published 5th Mar 2022
  • 1,119 Views, 413 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony: Future Incursion - Captain_Cosmos



A simple visit to the Detrot Observatory turns into an unforgettable adventure.

  • ...
5
 413
 1,119

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 21: A Grand Opening Bang Pt 1

Sparkler looked herself over in the mirror. She was wearing the uniform issued to her by The Medley Deli. A simple blue shirt with a name tag saying her name and position, pinned to her left side of the shirt. She also wore a headband on which sat the Medley Deli logo…her cutie Mark. That combined with her Twilight Manepin and her Blue bow and you get Head Waitress Sparkling Medley. “…Should I cover my cutie mark?“ She asked. Given she was already mistaken for the owner of the restaurant, she wondered if she should remove any visual clues that she might be the owner.

“I’d say wait for somepony to owner ID you before covering your Cutie Mark.” A Unicorn responded.

“Yeah. You shouldn’t need to cover it up. Just use your words and correct their thinking.” Another Unicorn said.

Sparkler just sighed and smiled. Sparkle Hearts and Twinkle Spark, Winter Moon’s Sisters and more of her great grandchildren, came by to deliver her work uniform the day of the grand opening of The Medley Deli. It was still incredibly weird that she’d be hired for a job by her future family. “I trust when Winter said there weren’t any Time Paradoxes…but I can’t stop worrying about it. Specifically because now I know my children will have children, who will in turn have children.” She said.

“Well like Winter said. You wouldn’t know if it wasn’t supposed to happen.” Sparkle said.

“If you say so.” Sparkler responded, deciding to let it go.

Twinkle smiled. “Now, one last thing before we head over to the grand opening. How to deal with Silver-Manes.” She said.

Sparkler chuckled. She found it hilarious that Silver-Mane became a meme, sure served him right. “There’s an actual procedure?” She asked.

“Oh you have no idea how many Silver-Manes there are here.” Twinkle said.

“There’s a whole forum about ponies’ encounters with them.” Sparkle commented.

“Yikes.” Sparkler responded.

“Yeah. It’s insane.” Sparkle said.

“But it did give us some signs to watch out for.” Twinkle explained.

“Good.” Sparkler responded.

“Now, things to watch out for.” Twinkle started. “One, If they say they know the owner for any reason, they’re lying.” She said. “And if they say they’ll call the owner on you, feel free to call one of us over.”

“Two, they like to cause scenes and go as far as threaten legal action. Don’t fear. Because there are cameras everywhere in the restaurant and on the exterior to watch the immediate area.” Sparkle said.

“And your badge doubles as an audio recording device.” Twinkle added. “So we’ll know for sure EXACTLY what happened.” She said.

Sparkler smiled. “My badge is a microphone? I’m starting to like this place.” She said.

Sparkle nodded. “But the best way to shut a Silver-Mane up is to throw their own logic back at them, or make some quick quip remark.” She said. “That gets them to shut up most of the time.”

“Got it.” Sparkler responded.

“And lastly, if they demand to speak to a manager, just tell them that YOU’RE the manager. Because in essence, you kinda are.” Twinkle said.

“Ok, they’re lying when they say they know the owner, they like to cause scenes and threaten legal action, cameras and microphones are my friends, throwing their logic back at them and making quippy remarks shuts them up. And if they ask for a manager, I’m the manager.” Sparkler recapped. “Am I missing anything?” She asked.

“If things get REALLY out of hoof, you have our permission to kick them out and bring it to us so we can decide to permanently ban them or not.” Sparkle said.

Sparkler smiled and nodded. “Got it. Thanks for the tips.” She said.

“Hey, gotta make sure ol’great granny Sparkler doesn’t get walked on by a generation of idiots.” Twinkle chuckled.

Sparkler laughed. “Ok, as I told Winter. PLEASE just call me Sparkler. I’m too young to be a great granny.” She said.

“Isn’t that argument shot down some by the fact that you’re immortal?” Sparkle asked.

“Still. I’m only 22 years old. Mother age, but not grandma age, let alone great granny age.” Sparkler responded.

Oh are you in for a shock in a couple of months. Sparkle thought as the three of them trotted downstairs and walked into the living room, where Sparkler’s kids, Spike, and Flurry were. Spike smiled when he saw Sparkler. “Looking good Head Waitress Sparkler!” He said with a thumbs up.

“Thanks Spike.” Sparkler said.

“I wish we could come with you.” Melody said.

Sparkler chuckled. Her kids were disappointed when she said she couldn’t take them with her. “Oh relax Melody. Sunny Izzy, Pipp, and Zipp agreed to bring you all to the Medley Deli for dinner.” She said.

“Free of charge of course. Family discount.” Twinkle commented.

Sparkler just kept her mouth shut. While yes she hated having to rely on handouts, and often would choose to refuse them if she didn’t need them, it was pretty common for restaurants to treat family members to free food at the location. “If I don’t take your order, please try to pick the most nutritious items. Also no peanuts at all.” She told them.

“Scared Melody will have an allergic reaction eh?” Sprinkle asked.

“We already nearly lost her once on this adventure, and her peanut allergy is lethal.” Sparkler deadpanned. “Of course I’m gonna be extra cautious.”

The kids, Spike, and Twinkle and Sparkle all laughed. “Fair enough.” Sprinkle said.

“We’ll make sure to eat healthy and keep from dying.” Light said.

“Good.” Sparkler responded. With the arrival of Sunny, Pipp, Zipp, and Izzy at that time, Sparkler, Sparkle, and Twinkle headed off for work. Although they were delayed by Sunny for a few seconds.

“Hey Sparkler?” Sunny asked. “I had an epiphany, with you here I can get some answers. I have questions about Twilight and ancient Equestria. Mind if I probe your mind for a bit?” She asked.

“Can’t right now Sunny, need to get to work. But feel free to probe the kids.” Sparkler responded. “I’m sure they’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.” She said in a way that sent a secret message to her kids. Answer any questions she has. She and her friends are helping us, it’s the least we can do.

The kids got the message and nodded. “Yeah. We can quell your curiosity.” Sprinkle said.

“Ask away!” Lightning remarked.

Sunny beamed with excitement as Sparkler and her two great granddaughters left for work.

As expected. The grand opening was a big event and the restaurant was pretty packed immediately, Sparkler found herself getting to work immediately, going to tables, taking orders, and bringing them to patrons. Never thought I’d be a waitress. But at least it’s a paying job to keep food on the table. She thought about an hour into her shift as she walked to a new table. Clearing her throat, she smiled and ran through her greeting spiel.

“Hello there. Welcome to the Medley Deli, I’m Sparkler, I’ll be your server today, may I start you off with something to drink?” She asked the patrons.

One of the mares, a Unicorn, scoffed at Sparkler. “No. You can start us off with a resignation and a good word for me so I can have your job.” The mare said.

Sparkler blinked. “I’m…sorry?” She asked, she wasn’t sure but there was something familiar about this mare, specifically her attitude.

“You heard me.” The mare responded. “Resign. And recommend me for your job. Ms. Copperbottom is my name that you will give them.” The Unicorn demanded.

Sparkler internally gasped. It was the mare that mistook her for the owner, and then told her to get out because she was sure they’d hire her. THAT’S where I recognized it. It’s that Silver-Mane!

“Ahem. Are you deaf? Why are you still here? Go do what I ordered. Now!” Ms. Copperbottom demanded.

That snapped Sparkler back to reality and her brain immediately came up with a response to shut this mare up. “I’m sorry Ma’am. But we ran out of, and have since discontinued that menu option before we even opened. Would you like something from the ACTUAL menu?” She asked in her most polite voice. “If not then I will have to kindly ask you to leave. We’re pretty busy here and there’s a waitlist.” She told Copperbottom.

Copperbottom’s mouth hung agape, before she shut it. She grumbled and ordered a drink from the menu. Sparkler wrote that, and the others’ choices on her notepad and walked off. She reached the counter where Bender, yet another Great Grandchild, was running the drinks station. “Two large Pepsis and an Iced Tea Bender.” She told him.

“On it.” Bender responded. “By the way, I heard the conversation you had with that Silver-Mane. You nailed it.” He said. “A PERFECT comeback.

Sparkler chuckled. “Slapping her with the truth seemed like the best option.” She responded. I’m WAY too proud of myself for that one. She smiled at the thought. She was going to like working there.

To be continued…

Author's Note:

R Slash Reddit posts about entitled people inspired Ms. Copperbottom. And I am SO not done with her yet. Just wait for the next part. Lol.

THX FOR READING!

PreviousChapters Next