• Published 9th Mar 2022
  • 1,469 Views, 24 Comments

The Hobbit: Third-Age Generation - PlymouthFury58



When Sunny Starscout and friends find a mysterious book, there are transported into the very adventure of Bilbo Baggins himself.

  • ...
0
 24
 1,469

Chapter Six: Out of the Frying-Pan and into the Fire

Chapter Six: Out of the Frying-Pan and Into the Fire

The company made haste without delay on their rush from the goblin tunnels, and did not stop until all were sure of their weapons fully dimmed. Once all were caught up in a ring of trees, Gandalf began counting off the dwarves and ponies.

"Six, seven, eight, Zipp, Pipp, that makes ten," he counted. "Bifur, Bofur, that's twelve. Sunny, Izzy, Hitch, fifteen. Fili and Kili, that's seventeen. And Bombur, that makes eighteen."

"Good," Pipp sighed exhausted. "We're all here and accounted for."

Hitch looked around his friends, grateful that none were dead, until something stifled his short-lived congratulations; rather, what was missing.

Bilbo Baggins was no where to be found among the company!

"Where's Bilbo?" he gasped.

"Where is our hobbit?" Gandalf called, also noticing his absence.

"I-I don't see him anywhere!" Sunny exclaimed.

"Curse that halfling!" Dwalin grumbled. "Now he's lost?!"

"I thought I saw him with Dori," Izzy pondered aloud.

"Don't blame me!" Dori snapped.

"Leave her alone!" Bombur grumbled.

"Well, where is he?" Gandalf asked.

"I think I saw him slip away when they first collared us," Nori put in.

"And what happened exactly?! Tell me!"

"I'll tell you what happened!" Thorin spoke up. "Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it! He has thought of nothing bit his soft bed and his warm hearth...ever since he left home."

"So, at least he's alive, right?" Pipp stammered, much to the muse of Zipp.

"We will not be seeing our hobbit again," Thorin finished. "He is long gone."

Sunny stood by, furthest from the focused point of the conversation, thinking back to when Lord Elrond approached both her and Bilbo back in Rivendell, and how he offered for them to stay behind in the sanctity of the Last Homely House. Most likely after Thorin's spat to Bilbo he took the moment and ran off right back to the home of the elves. Perhaps it is for the best, she thought. After all, he is just one hobbit.

"No," a voice called from behind a tree, right before Bilbo appeared fit as a fiddle, minus all his waistcoat buttons. "He isn't."

Beaming with such a pride that he had not known for such a time, Sunny rushed forward and embraced the hobbit, who was of course taken aback in shock.

"Bilbo Baggins!" Gandalf smiled. "I have never been so glad to see anyone in my life!"

"I thought you left! Or died!" Sunny smiled.

"Well uh," Hitch stammered. "He might have."

Sunny stepped off of Bilbo intrigued and confused about Hitch's remark. "What do you mean?"

"While I was on watch, I uh...caught Bilbo as he was leaving."

Sunny turned back to Bilbo, flabbergasted. "You were? But...how did you escape the goblins?"

"How indeed," Dwalin smirked.

Bilbo held up a finger for a moment of patience, as both Zipp and Gandalf notice him slipping a small object into his waistcoat pocket.

"Well, what does it matter?" Gandalf said, trying his best to deflect the topic, mostly for Bilbo's sake. "He's back."

"It matters," Thorin approached. "I want to know. Why did you come back?"

Bilbo took his time before he formulated his response. "Look, I know you doubt me. I know you always have. And you're right, I often think of Bag End. I miss my books. And my armchair and my garden. See, that's where I belong. That's home. And that's why I came back. Because...you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can."

"I'm with Bilbo," Hitch stepped forward. "While my friends and I came from a distant world, we volunteered to this journey to help you. We have a home, should we return, but you don't, and that's not fair. And I, for one, with follow the King under the Mountain."

Hitch smiled to Thorin, not from his ego, but right from the heart, who looked back to the pony with a greater admiration, and if he were to stand beside the burglar, perhaps the little hobbit has a chance yet to prove his worth.

Suddenly, once again, Zipp ears perked up a distant sound, unfortunately it was a familiar one...one of a rushing danger. Pipp caught the sounds too.

"I thought you said goblins can't stand the sunlight!" she panicked.

"They don't, neither do their orc brethren, or any other creature of the darkness," Gandalf replied, collective but ominous.

The howling and snarling of wargs were soon known to all of the company, freezing them in terror. The orc pack from before had tracked them past the Misty Mountains, having received the tip from the goblin messenger after scrambling from Elrond's host.

"Out of the frying-pan..." Thorin began.

"...and into the fire," Gandalf finished. "Run! RUN!"

The company took off like shots into the waning night, the warg howling closing as fast as their feet and hooves pelted past the firtrees and boulders. No beating about the bush was necessary, for the rugged terrain slowed their escape enough for a single warg to charge ahead, catching its sights on Bilbo.

"Bilbo, look out!" Sunny cried.

Bilbo took out his sword right as it snarled its jaws charged for him, having the sword impaled right through its cranium as Bilbo was shoved back in shock.

Zipp twanged Dailir into a warg's leg, losing its balance over the cliffside, while yet another warg trapped its fangs on Anvil, and using the strength she could muster, Pipp charged it ahead before Hitch implanted Anguirel right through its neck.

"Thanks," Pipp gasped for breath.

"Pleasure, m'lady," Hitch gasped as well.

"Charming," she smiled, greatly flattered.

Bilbo pulled out his sword before rushing to catch with the others, as the ponies followed closely in their feet, reaching right to the edge of the cliff overlooking the deep valley below.

"What do we do now?!" Sunny cried in panic.

"Up into the trees!" Gandalf called to the company. "All of you! Come on, climb! Bilbo, climb!"

The dwarves rushed up the branches the best they could, Izzy piggybacking off of Bombur, and Sunny being hoisted up by Thorin. Pipp rushed forward, launching airborne clutching Hitch tightly as she flew to the highest but most stable branches. Bilbo had trouble catching the lowest branch, so Zipp swooped down and placed him up in regards to the company's safety.

No sooner had the wargs gathered under the trees did their leader make himself finally known. The ponies and dwarves stared wide-eyed terror: astride the white warg was a giant of an orc, pale and battle scared, with an amputee on his left hand, and evilly grinning his fangs.

"Oh, my word!" Sunny panted in fear.

"So, he did not die," Hitch stared.

Thorin looked on his oldest adversary the most, filled with terror and horrified eyes. "Azog," he gasped. "It cannot be."

Azog grinned with delightful triumph, no doubt he meant to face Thorin Oakenshield in single combat. He roared in orchish, sending the snarling and howling wargs right to the bases of the trees holding the company in their mercy, gnashing and clawing away the bark in chips.

"They're right under us!" Pipp cried. "Now what?!"

She was answered by the form of their very trees toppling over like a stack of dominos, and the company rushing into one tree after another until they were all housed in the firtree that grew mighty and strong right at the very cliff's edge. Right above, Gandalf took and pinecone and using his staff, ignited a small flame that encompassed the pinecone right before he tossed right to the gathered wargs amongst the undergrowth.

"Gandalf!" Izzy cried. "Toss me one of those!"

She caught the burning pinecone with her glowing magic, right before she hurled it right between the eyes of an angry warg, sending it away in a fiery blind.

The rest of the company caught the idea: taking the lighted pinecones, lighting their own, and hurling them down in a rainstorm of fire, sending many a warg running off in various whimpering directions.

"How many did you hit?" Pipp called to Zipp.

"Four," she replied, smiling.

"Four? I got six!"

"Seven!" Kili exclaimed.

"Nine!" Fili added.

Their cheering congratulations were unfortunately short-lived, for the very tree that housed their safety soon toppled in its roots, until it dangled straight and sharp as an edge. That was the end of the flaming firtrees.

Ori lost his grip but then caught Dori's leg, screaming in terror. "MR. GANDALF!" Dori cried.

"HOLD ON!" Izzy cried. Not thinking she leapt to Dori who caught her hooves, but then she slipped from her branch. Gandalf quickly stuck out his staff to Izzy who tightly gripped its end with her teeth.

"IZZY!" Sunny cried.

Bombur lunged right for Izzy but Bifur held him back, on account of the creaking strain in the wood.

"CAN'T YOU GIRLS FLY?!" Gloin screamed while gripping his brother.

"We can't hold every single one of you!" Pipp shouted. "Not even one of you!"

Hitch held himself beside Bilbo, keeping their gaze up and away from the valley below. Azog gleamed evilly with pride, as he always did whenever his victims were at his mercy, more so especially since the great Oakenshield was among his prey. Thorin glared up at the Pale Orc, overcome in the very same shadow that saw the head of his grandfather roll from the pale hand, and as his own father became grieved beyond madness, and he stood firm in vengeance.

Hitch could only watch as Thorin revealed Orchrist and his namesake shield as he charged his adversary, as Azog had his warg charge right into Thorin. As he got up, Azog charged again, swinging his club sending Thorin backwards. Hitch stood as the White Warg gripped Thorin painfully in its fangs, as he yelled in pain.

"THORIN!" Dwalin shouted. "NO!"

Still chewing on Thorin, Azog watched with delight as the company screamed his name, until he swung Orchrist at the White Warg, and it threw him sprawling back onto the nearest rock. Azog then hopped off of his evil steed, and wielding his twisted blade, he slowly approached his adversary, savoring every waking moment as he stomped right over.

Hitch could no longer stand idly, his friend was in danger, and he vowed to follow him to the Lonely Mountain all the way. Unsheathing Anguirel, as it shone brighter than the moon, he charged right over the tree galloping like the sheriff never could before. Azog raised his blade, Thorin helpless as Orchrist lay just out of reach, and right as the head of the heir of Durin would become his own, a swing of the Iron-of-the-Fiery-Star cleaved right through the pale neck ended his reign.

The pale head rolled a distance as its slayer rolled uncontrollably till he steadied himself, undaunted by the ugly head staring blankly back to its downfall. Hitch breathed himself calmly, before he spoke: "Listen to me, Azog," Hitch hissed. "The King belongs under the Mountain, and I made a vow to bring him there."

Keeping Anguirel sharp he leapt between the closing in pack, and the enraged rider-less warg, now that Thorin laid unconsciously and vulnerable. Hitch's combat experience remained still novice at best, but Anguirel understood and followed its masters intent of protection, for the pack remained behind the tip any way they could.

From the sudden sky came a gleam of the shining morn, and the pack jumped in surprise before the fluttering smoothness of the pegasus Pipp Petals and the strength of Anvil.

"What are you doing here?" Hitch gasped in surprise.

"You can't protect the King on your own," she stood firm. "And I also didn't want to see you killed for nothing!"

Hitch stared back in flattered confusion. "Should I feel congratulated?"

"Foolish, definitely. But yes."

So the two friends stood side by side, as the last line of defense for the King under the Mountain. The pack hesitated at the combined glow of Anguirel and Anvil, though the ponies were becoming vastly outnumbered, and at last the White Warg finally made a charge forward, only to be shot right between the eyes as it fell with a great thud that frightened the pack, and in one blink Dailir left only the scar as it returned to Zipp's quiver as she fired from the aerial vantage point.

"You wouldn't leave your older sister out of all the fun, would you?" she smirked.

"Give it to 'em, Zipp!" Hitch cried in delight.

Zipp twanged Dailir from the brandishing of Belthronding, never once missing its intended target and always returning to its mistress, not even when warg nor orc attempted to flee. While Anguirel followed the movements of its master, finally earning his respect and glad to follow, for Anvil stuck with its mistress, keeping close at hoof to the protection that no harm should come to Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror. The dwarves, Bilbo, Gandalf, and Sunny watched in shock and awe as the ponies fought to defend the king, Sunny more worse for where: her friends were fighting to the death to defend Thorin, and she had not the will to assist.

Suddenly, a cry from overhead came followed behind great fearsome creatures that swooped in gripping the nearest warg or orc with great sharp talons of spears.

"What are they?!" Pipp cried.

"Don't fear them," Hitch calmed. "They're eagles, and they're here to save us."

"How do you know?!"

"I...just have a feeling, that's all."

At that moment, Izzy cried and screamed for she lost her grip on Gandalf's staff, and poor Dori and Ori still clung for dear life.

"IZZY!" Zipp cried, before swooping down and grabbing Izzy by the waist, right as Dori lost his grip and screamed louder. Luckily, an eagle heard their screams and caught the brothers, who still had not lost their fearful terror.

The eagles made short work of the orc pack, and all who could carried at least two dwarves each. Bilbo had his own, though in a panic Sunny slipped from her branch, but was caught on the back of a faithful eagle.

"What's going on?!" she yelped.

"Calm yourself, little one," the eagle consoled. "You and your friends are now under the protection of the Lord of the Eagles of the Misty Mountains."

Sunny was not at all completely relieved. "You know, you're the first eagle that's ever spoken to me."

"As are you the first pony who has spoken to me. Fear not, your friends will be safe."

Hitch and Pipp remained beside Thorin, when out appeared an eagle who gently gripped his still body before taking off behind the others.

"Suppose we ought to catch up-" Hitch began right before Pipp hoisted him by his underbelly and catching the draft behind the eagles.

"My, you're a ton," Pipp remarked.

Hitch paid no attention to her voice, instead only to how soft her hooves felt, and to how Thorin never seemed to awaken while airborne. The eagles flew some distance, and not only till the sun peaked over the horizon did the eagles swoop downwards for a landing on a tall rock peak overlooking the distant valley.

Gandalf rode above the Lord himself, who gently placed Thorin to silent rest. Pipp and Hitch landed soon thereafter, who dashed to his side.

"Thorin!" Hitch cried, greatly feared for the worst possible outcome. "Thorin! Thorin, please don't be dead. Not yet, not when we're so close."

"Hey, hey don't worry," Pipp smiled. "Look, he's alive!"

Thorin stirred, shifted, and awoke in the burning morning, the sunshine sharing in the beauty and hope.

"Master Trailblazer," Thorin gasped. "Hitch. Had you no common-sense?"

"Never mind it Thorin. We're all here and alive."

"The halfling?"

Bilbo stood behind, despondent grateful for Thorin's rescue. Hitch looked back, and smiled to his friend, and Bilbo could not help himself but return the smile.

"He's alright."

Thorin's face went grim as attempted to stand, Hitch and Zipp helping him to his feet. "What of Azog?" he demanded. "What happened to him?"

"Would you recognize his blood?" Hitch said as he unsheathed Anguirel, letting it gleam happily in the morning light as Thorin inspected the still-wet orc blood, until his eyes widened with realization. He turned back to Hitch, who beamed with pride.

"You no longer have to be bothered with the likes of him."

"You...slew, the Pale Orc?"

"Please, I have all the congratulations I need."

Thorin then suddenly embraced him in joyful tears. "You have more than my congratulations, my friend!" Thorin released the sheriff as he stood firm, took out Orchrist to hold it straight, and Hitch instinctively kneeled before him. "As King of Erebor, I hereby knight thee 'Sir Hitch Trailblazer', knight under the Mountain."

"Thorin-I mean, my liege, if it hadn't been for the protection of Zipp and Pipp, I would not have lasted much longer."

Thorin smiled greatly, for he saw the truth in his eyes. "Princess Storm. Princess Petals."

The sisters approached either side of Hitch, kneeling in respect as Thorin held aloft the gleam of Orchrist. "I hereby knight thee 'Lady Zephyrina Storm', knight under the Mountain." He then turned to Pipp. "I hereby knight thee 'Lady Pipp Petals', knight under the Mountain."

The sisters beamed with more pride than ever before. "Wait until we tell mother of this adventure!" Pipp exclaimed.

"This will surely appeal to your followers," Zipp remarked, smiling.

"This is my greatest honor Tho- my liege," Hitch corrected.

Thorin turned away from his new Knights of Erebor to face the smiling relief of Gandalf, and the company wonderous that their king is alive and well, Izzy smiled the greatest. Sunny nodded to him, before turning her saddening gaze to the ground to herself, contemplating how that her friends received titles of honor for such brutality.

"Oh, great Lord of the Eagles," Gandalf thanked, with many a gratitude. "We are eternally grateful for your rescue.

"I have not forgotten the arrow that brought me down so many years ago," the Lord of the Eagles replied. "I have also not forgotten the wizard who found me and healed me wound. And now, farewell wherever you fare!" The Lord and his eagles then spread and took off back to their sanctity of the Misty Mountains. "Till your eyries receive you at the journey's end!"

"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks," answered Gandalf, who knew the correct reply.

Bilbo then stepped out from the company to look in the far off distance from atop their peak. The very shape was visible for all too see.

"Is that what I think it is?" he asked. The company, especially Thorin, turned and stared in wonderment at the sight that befallen them: a singular mountain peak amidst a field of trees.

"Erebor," Gandalf wholeheartedly replied. "The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle-earth."

"Our home," Thorin prided.

"A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain," Oin beamed.

"That's a thrush, actually," Hitch corrected.

"But we'll take it as a sign," Thorin said, once again hopeful for the journey ahead. "A good omen."

"You're right," Bilbo sighed. "I do believe the worst is behind us."

Thorin looked to the hobbit, and while he still remained skeptical of his value among the company, his escape and reasoning to remain with the company had touched and peaked his intrigued. Perhaps the more to Master Baggins was yet to come.


Elsewhere, a great beast lied amongst the most splendid plunder in all the land, and he had just awoken from a nightmare: some of the most strangest looking creatures had dared intrude his rightly won land, and had the audacity to call him out. While it was only a dream, Smaug had learned since his youth that it was the pride of his enemies that brought their downfall.

And the more shining gold on one's possession, the more pride to sink it in.

Author's Note:

Too bad I could not include Fifteen Birds in Five Firtrees