• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 2,012 Views, 83 Comments

Second chances - jacob.galvin



Sometimes goodness comes from unexpected places

  • ...
5
 83
 2,012

Seeing pink

Authors note:Thanks Amethyst Dawn for editing
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seeing Pink
Discord strolled leisurely through the Everfree forest, an activity that would terrify most ponies. But even at a fraction of his power he was still more dangerous than anything he was likely to meet. He whistled a cheerful tune, still on a mental high from teaching that awful little filly a lesson. Perhaps he would pay her parents a visit if there was time; no doubt they were just as awful as her, if not worse. Imagine if he were to casually show up at their house. But his heart sank slightly as he realized she wouldn't see it. Still, just hearing his voice again might be enough to push her mind to the breaking point. Truly there was nothing more enjoyable in this world than mentally torturing ponies, hearing their scream of fear and anguish.

Discord had never cared for physical torture; it was far too messy, unpredictable, and required too much effort. Pain was temporary after all, and even the weakest of ponies were capable of ignoring pain, but if he could break their mind, the damage was permanent. They would suffer forever, and there were infinite ways in which it could be accomplished. But there was something different about what he had done today, it was a feeling he couldn't quite describe, not just the usual feeling of dominance and self-gratification. No, by teaching Diamond Tiara a lesson, he had helped others. He had made a difference in their lives for the better, no longer would school fillies suffer at the hooves of her cruelty; no longer would anypony have to suffer. He had helped them, and it felt pretty damn good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile at Ponyville schoolhouse, a crowd had gathered around Diamond Tiara, who had just re-emerged in a flash of light. Harsh whispers filled the air.

What’s wrong with her eyes?" One colt whispered.

What’s she saying?" Another asked.

"Her cutie marks gone!" A filly cried in horror.

Their teacher Miss Cheerilee pushed through past them, "everypony back the classroom now!” she ordered. They shuffled away, still whispering and glancing over their shoulders. "Diamond Tiara, can you hear me?” She asked urgently, “do you know where you are? Are you hurt?” Diamond Tiara was silent. Miss Cheerilee began to panic, in all her years as a teacher, nothing this terrible had happened to one of her students. Not being a unicorn, she couldn't even perform a simple medical scan to see what had caused this, she would need to inform the filly’s father, who would be furious. Then it hit her, there was a powerful unicorn living right here in Ponyville. No doubt Twilight Sparkle could diagnose the problem, and possibly reverse it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discord emerged from the Everfree forest, right in Fluttershy's backyard as he had planned. He walked up to the side window and peeked in, the room was empty. But candles were still lit, and he could see the front door was ajar. He levitated himself to the second floor window, and what he saw made him giggle madly. There, lying in bed was Fluttershy, and cuddled up with her was Rainbow Dash. Discord knew exactly what they had been up to, “LOOKING GOOD RAINBOW!” he boomed in the royal Canterlot voice.

Rainbow bolted up, “who's there!?” she demanded, but Discord was already gone.

As Discord strolled through Ponyville, he felt better than he had in centuries. He felt none of the fake happiness mixed with underlying anger that he did when spreading chaos. Only genuine happiness at the thought of helping others, and being surrounded by ponies who would in turn help him, if he required it. Discord looked up at the sun, judging by its position, he guessed it was around midday. He still had to find Applejack and tell her about how he got the two mares together, and maybe even have a conversation with the pony, who up until a few hours ago, he had hated with the passion of 100 exploding suns. But no longer, all the pent up anger had vanished, all his feelings of hatred, at least his hatred of ponies that didn't deserve it, was gone. He decided to first locate Derpy, then maybe the two of them could...His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of bouncing.

He had heard that sound before, but where. Then it dawned on him, "oh no no, oh please in the name of Celestia not…”

"HI I'M PINKIE PIE!" a voice shouted from behind him.

Discord groaned loudly, “why her?” He whispered to himself.

She leapfrogged over him, and shoved her face right up against his. "Oh my gosh are you new in town? Because I've never seen you before and if I've never seen you before then that means we’re not friends yet and if we’re not friends then I need to throw you a party so we can celebrate us becoming friends!!!"

Discord reeled back from the onslaught being shouted at him. “Yes I am new in town” he replied calmly, “and no we are not friends yet.”

"Well duh! I just said that silly, but don't worry since we’re friends now!" the wideness of her smile seemed to defy reality.

"So Pinkie,” he said nervously.

"Yes new friend who I don't know the name of yet, what’s your name by the way?" She asked.

"Uh my name is Vanishing Act," Discord replied.

"Wow! Are you like a magician or something?" Pinkie asked curiously.

"Uhh, yes sort of… Look the thing is Pinkie, I'm rather busy today, and I need to get going" Discord said.

“Aww, too busy even for a party?" Pinkie asked disappointedly.

“Yes I'm afraid so," he replied. As the smile on her face fell, Discord felt what was left of his heart literally break. "Oh gosh, I'm sorry, well how about a hug instead?" Her eyes brightened, and instantly the smile returned. She leaped at Discord, squeezing him tightly. He squeezed back, resting his head in her super soft puffy mane. She smelled like a thousand different candies, and her mane was like a pillow. After what seemed like an eternity, they let go.

“Well I'll see you later Vanish, but I still owe you a party!” She bounced away, humming cheerfully. Discord felt like he was melting, that ten second hug had been, without a doubt, the best thing to happen to him in over 1000 years. He wanted to move, but all he could do was stare silently at the ground, a dumb grin spreading across his face.