• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 3,380 Views, 179 Comments

The Reception's Been Canceled - sister_mike



Twilight awakens to find that Queen Chrysalis hasn't been defeated.

  • ...
10
 179
 3,380

Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Luna

Luna entered the labyrinth calmly. She knew her way through here like the back of her hoof. She and Celestia had designed the labyrinth when they were small, just a little older than fillies; back when they had been inseparable, best friends. They were still the best of friends. Celestia had made that known. Even though she had imprisoned Luna for a thousand years on the moon, Celestia always knew what was best.

There were many things that the common ponies of Equestria didn't know. They didn't know that Celestia wrote Luna letters everyday while she was imprisoned on the moon. That she tried to reach down through Nightmare Moon and into Luna's good soul. That Luna had saved her life when they had battled Discord. That all thorough their childhood, Celestia was afraid of the dark, of the night, and that is why Luna had originally chose it as her duty to guard the night.

Because the truth was, Luna adored her older sister. She always had. Even though she was only older by a few years, Celestia was Luna's hero; her idol; her everything. And when the time came that they were given their duties, they were meant to rule Equestria together, side by side. Day and day together, night and night. They were supposed to switch off on who rose the sun and who the moon; but when Luna discovered how initially afraid of the dark Celestia had been, Luna suggested that she look solely after the night and Celestia the day.

Celestia obviously wasn't afraid of the dark any more. That was just a serious phase of her childhood. And Luna truly did love the moon more than the sun. There was something so hauntingly beautiful about the moon, her soft shining light; so much softer than the sun. And while many ponies saw the moon as a figure of solitude, all alone, they were wrong. While the moon was accompanied by millions of stars, it was really the sun that was alone.

Luna knew all the magical twists and turns of the maze, all of the traps that were to pop up. But they wouldn't appear for her. That was one of the magical properties she and Celestia had put on the maze. To them, it wasn't a maze. It was a simple path, that led to different destinations, all with a purpose.

She wasn't surprised to see a few dead changelings in the maze. They had been fools to think they could make their way through here. But it worried her. What if they had gotten to Discord? It was another threat that Equestria didn't need right now.

As she walked through the maze, Luna thought of Twilight. She was the first pony to truly, sincerely be kind to her since she had changed back to herself. The ponies in Canterlot pretended. They had to see Luna on a near nightly basis, whereas the other ponies of Equestria didn't. Most of the ponies had forgotten there was a second princess, a second ruler. A thousand years was a large number of generations that had passed by.

She had initially had trouble adjusting to the new life, and still now and then reverted back to older methods, but she had learned. Twilight had helped her. Twilight was her only friend, aside from Celestia.

Sure, she had her minions—companions, she should say; minions implied she wasn't a good character—but they were meant to serve and adore her. They weren't necessarily friends.

Sometimes it surprised her that Twilight was her first common pony friend; Twilight, the star pupil of her sister. And then sometimes it didn't surprise her, that her sister's good friend would be hers as well.

Luna's thoughts jumped all over the place as she walked the maze, something which never usually happened. Usually her thoughts were coherent and organized. But not now. Where was Celestia? That was her biggest concern. Where was her beloved sister.

And did Twilight make it to Ponyville ok? She hoped she wasn't still waiting for her at the train station, because Luna knew she wouldn't make it there in time. She knew Twilight would go on her own.

Luna knew a lot of things ahead of time, another thing only her sister knew. And it was an ability that Celestia didn't have. Sometimes Luna felt like it was a curse—she couldn't change the feelings she had. They weren't visions, they were feelings—intuitions. They usually weren't far in the future. She couldn't go up to a pony and tell them who they would marry, what their future would end up like. They mostly came to her in dire situations, such as this.

Sure enough, as she rounded the corner, her feeling had been right—Discord's statue was gone. She knew it would be. She didn't tell Twilight the whole truth, not about her "psychic" abilities. She knew that the chance of her meeting up with her in Ponyville was slim.

"What have you done with Discord?" Luna asked. She didn't have to turn around. She knew Chrysalis was there, behind her, and waiting.

"Sssssomewhere sssafe," Chrysalis said. Luna turned around.

There stood Chrysalis, an evil smirk on her face, thousands of changelings flanked behind her. Luna knew that they had followed her into the maze, past all of the dark and magical twists, followed her safely through, just as they probably had when Chrysalis had forced Celestia to show her where Discord was.

"What do you plan to do with him?" Luna asked. She knew Discord had nothing to do with Chrysalis's takeover of Equestria. That had been a story she had spun for Twilight Sparkle. But her story about Discord's influence on her and Nightmare Moon had been true.

"You won't live to ssssssee that plan, sssssso why bother asssssking?" Chrysalis replied.

Luna held her head high. She didn't know what the outcome of this would be. But what she did know was that her plan had worked; she had separated from Twilight, for her own good, and drawn Chrysalis and most of her changeling army here, into the maze. She had given Twilight and her friends a chance to regroup, find the Elements, and take it from there. Whether she would meet up with them for the final battle was unknown. But for now, all changeling eyes were on her.

"I'll ask you again; what do you plan to do with Discord?" Luna asked. A few of the changelings rustled, itching to fight, to get a bite of princess flesh. Chrysalis laughed and didn't respond.

"Where's Celestia! What have you done with my sister!" Luna shouted.

Chrysalis just continued to laugh. Her eyes turned bright green, and the swarm of changelings enveloped Luna.