• Published 16th Feb 2022
  • 2,014 Views, 197 Comments

Diary of a Young Griff - Isuvyw



Life in the boiler room of Canterlot Palace, as seen through the eyes of a female griffon.

  • ...
5
 197
 2,014

I: Entries 1 to 4

16th of Solmonth, A.N.M 3

It is my first time writing a diary. It’s not for anypony or anygriff to read other than me, and perhaps a few selected friends.

If I even have friends, that is.

I’m feeling very tired because I woke up at half before dawn. It is now a hour or two after Princess Luna’s moon was raised up, I think. She has a beautiful moon. It is sad that she had nopony to tell her that. If somepony had told her that, I’m sure Nightmare Moon wouldn’t have happened. She would have been happy that at least one pony liked her moon. I’m sure that more ponies love her moon now, and I’m one of them. She must be very happy.

Today was a harsh day. It was harsh because I had to work the boilers twice than normal. Some important guests must be staying here in the palace, because they need hot showers, hot tea and coffee, and hot water for their feet.

I don’t understand why they must need four showers a day. I know that because there are pressure gauges on each individual hot water pipe that connects to the big bathroom boiler. And those gauges bopped up and down four times today. That’s why I know they took four showers.

Why not two showers? One in the morning was enough to freshen up for the day, and one in the evening to rinse off for bed. I don’t think one needs to shower before a meal, right?

Ponies are weird these days. The important ones, that is.

Today was also harsh because I got a whipping today. Miss Hawkrose, the matron mare, instructed me to deliver some coal to a guest’s parlor. But I forgot about it because I was busy repairing a broken pipe in one of the boilers. If I leave it unrepaired it will explode.

I forgot about the delivery. When I finished the repair, Miss Hawkrose stormed into the boiler room. Then I remembered that I was supposed to deliver the coal. She didn’t let me explain. I don’t think she wanted me to explain.

She told me to turn around. I did, slowly. Then she brought out her whip from thin air; I think she did it with magic. Anyway, she swung it across my back very quickly. I counted it – three times she whipped my back. She then admonished very firmly to remember the instructions given to me and to obey them quickly. I said yes, and then she left the room.

Then I let myself cry.

Ok, maybe I should have paid a bit more attention, then I might have remembered. But, at the same time, I was also busy with the broken pipe.

Miss Hawkrose is very strict. She is also not very forgiving. I think it is so because I saw other coltservants and mareservants being punished by her for very small things.

Sometimes they cry like I do. I wish to tell them that its alright. But they don’t really like me, because I’m not a pony. I am a griffon.

I have no one to talk to, except to myself. Actually, maybe I do, which is this diary.

I’m really tired. I should go to sleep now.

***

17th of Solmonth, A.N.M 3

I think I should introduce myself to you, diary. My name is Matilda, I am a griffoness. I am 17 years old now.

I don’t know much about how I look, actually. I don’t have a mirror, because it is expensive, and the boilers I see everyday have dull reflections. All I see is waves of white, brown, and a bit of red mixed together with the copper.

The coalponies deliver a new delivery of fresh black coal once every month. They say I look pretty. I think Collier, who is one of the regular ones, has a liking for me. I don’t think I’ve heard of a pony liking a griffon, so it must mean I’m very pretty.

Today was ok, just as usual. The boilers were hot and ready to deliver fresh water for tea, coffee, and a nice relaxing bath. I enjoyed the pressure gauges bopping up and down constantly. It is a little bit relaxing.

I take showers, at least once a day, but it is cold water. I am used to it already, but when I was a little fledgeling, I hated baths. It was always cold, and I hated cold. But I learned to get used to it. I don’t like to smell unpleasant, although I can’t help myself since I always sweat during work. That’s why I shower. Some of the colts don’t like cold water, so they don’t shower very often. They smell unpleasant, but I try not to mind. It is very hard to handle it though.

Miss Hawkrose taught us that hygiene was important. I said she was unforgiving, but that depended on her mood. If she was in a good mood, she would not punish minor things, but if she was in a bad mood, she would.

Thank goodness, she was in a good mood today. A very good mood, I think, because she even smiled at me when I greeted her good morning. She must have forgotten about yesterday.

My back still hurts. I felt some feathers were torn out. But they will heal after some days, and I will grow new ones.

I think that’s it for now, because I’m really really tired. I have to wake up early as usual, half before dawn.

Goodnight, diary.

***

18th of Solmonth

Hello diary, how was your day?

Mine was horrible. One of the guest room’s waste pipe broke and dripped the dirt all over me. It was horrible and disgusting. I quickly took a shower to clean myself, but then I had to clean the mess. I asked for the wasteponies to come but they didn’t listen to me, because I was a griffon. So I had to clean it up myself and fix the pipe as well.

This is very annoying. Just because I’m a griffon they won’t bother about me?

But I know you, diary, will listen to me. I’m glad that you don’t mind me being a griffon.

I’m still very upset. I think I’ll go to sleep now.

Goodnight, diary. Sleep well, I guess?

***

20th of Solmonth

I didn’t write yesterday, diary, because Miss Hawkrose sent a new pony to work the boilers with me. Nopony can see you, at least those who are not my friends. But he is a small and shy colt, so I think he won’t peek. He might even become my friend, then maybe I can show him to you. But not yet, not now.

He is a small, light blue color pony. He has very blonde mane, and has some white little specks on his back. He looks kind of cute.

Right now, he is sleeping. Yes, I have a room to stay. It is near the boiler room, not too far away.

Hopefully tomorrow I can tell you about how everything looks like, but I have to sleep. Goodnight.

Author's Note:

Criticism and suggestions are welcome. Feel free to point out places where this fic can be improved!