• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 10,474 Views, 722 Comments

The Perfect Little Village of Ponyville - McPoodle



Vinyl Scratch is forced to take Twilight's place facing off against Nightmare Moon

  • ...
24
 722
 10,474

Chapter 5: Fighting Off the Gladness

The Perfect Little Village of Ponyville

Chapter 5: Fighting Off the Gladness


“...and that’s just some of the amazing uses of the common apple core,” Graphite told the mesmerized Vinyl Scratch as he turned to open the door to the treehouse. “Apple Incorporated, what can I do for...?” he started, staring out into the night to see who had knocked.

Stepping into his vision was a massive red earth pony with tired eyes. “Graphite, I need t’ speak with Applejack,” he said in a gruff voice.

Vinyl looked at him, confusion evident on her face. “Applejack?” she asked plaintively.

Graphite laughed nervously at the much larger pony. “Big Mac, you need to get your eyes checked,” he said cautiously, pointing at the hat on his head.

The pony looked wearily between Graphite and Vinyl. “Of course, ‘Applejack’,” he drawled with a touch of sarcasm. Evidently, this wasn’t the first time he had been asked to play this particular game. “Can I speak with ‘Graphite’ then? Or is she somepony else?”

“I’ll get her,” Graphite said, starting to head upstairs. He then stopped and looked back at a confused Vinyl. “I mean ‘him’!” he corrected himself.

Big Mac shook his head sadly then began to wait.

Vinyl Scratch studied him for a few moments. “You’re the same color as my eyes!” she finally concluded in a bubbly voice, lifting her sunglasses to show him.

Big Mac looked at the obviously mesmerized pony in pity for a few seconds. “Eeyup,” he finally said.

Neither pony said anything else for several minutes.


Finally, both Applejacks (the real and the fake) descended the stairs together. “I’ll leave her be,” Applejack told Graphite in her native accent (referring to Rarity). “I ‘spect she’ll work the rest out herself.”

“Eeyup,” said Graphite jokingly as they reached the ground floor.

Applejack turned her most devastating glare towards her underling. In response, Graphite grabbed Vinyl and fled for another room.

“It’s good to see you, brother,” Applejack said to Big Mac when they were alone.

“Likewise,” said the large pony.

“Well,” Applejack said sadly, “you wouldn’t have rushed to get here at this hour unless there was some bad news, so spill it.”

“It’s about Rarity,” Big Mac began.

The mare in question immediately stuck her head out of the door of the upstairs room.

“Yes?” asked Applejack.

“Badlands have been overrun by the Diamond Dogs. We tried a raid, but there were too many of them. T’would take an army to get any diamond dust out of there now.”

It’s not “diamond dust”! How many times to do I have to explain that...! No, I promised I’d let this go. “Diamond dust” it is...

“This is horrible!” exclaimed Rarity as she raced down the stairs. “Of all the bad things that could possibly happen, this is the worst...possible...”

“Now don’t you start!” warned Applejack, shutting Rarity up by shoving an apple into her mouth that seemed to have come from nowhere. “I can get us an army. Or better yet, arrange for the Senate in Canterlot to vote for an army and do the work for us. It’ll just take some time, that’s all.”

“But time is exactly what we do not have!” Rarity replied. “I’ve had to use my supply of dust a lot faster than usual as a result of this cursed Celebration tomorrow. I don’t think I have enough to last another month!”

This got a gasp out of Graphite, who had been trying to overhear the conversation from around the corner.

“I can’t possibly get Diamond Dogs out of the Badlands in a month without looking really obvious,” Applejack said, putting one hoof to her forehead in order to think. “Unless, perhaps...what if Vinyl’s reprogramming included a report about why it would be absolutely necessary for the Princess herself to intervene?”

Graphite whistled in admiration of how well his boss thought on her hooves.

Applejack in turn smiled to herself on hearing the obvious sign of her follower’s admiration. And I didn’t need to ‘dust’ him, neither! she thought.

Big Mac, walking around the corner to find the source of the sounds he heard, cleared his throat to get the attention of the two mares. “You might need to re-think your plans,” he informed them sadly, pointing to a spot behind Graphite.

Everypony looked to see that Vinyl Scratch had been replaced by a hay bale on stilts wearing a pair of cardboard sunglasses.

At the exact same moment, the chief of the dungeon guards skidded into the tree house. “The prisoners have escaped, including that little dragon fellow!”

“PINKAMENA!!!” exclaimed Rarity, shaking one hoof at the ceiling in exasperation. She wasn’t sure why precisely she was required to do this every time her arch-nemesis outsmarted her. She just knew it was the expected thing to do under the circumstances.


Spike crowed about the success of their deception all the way back to the abandoned warehouse that was the Dreaded P.D.P.’s headquarters, with Vinyl Scratch passively following where she was led. He was careful, though, not to say anything negative about Rarity to set off her programming.

“Well,” the always-morose Pinkamena said to him with what might almost be mistaken for a triumphal tone. “You wanted her, and now you’ve got her, and a great deal quieter than I expected her to be. But dusted is still dusted. What are you going to do with her?”

“Well first of all,” the worried dragon said as he started inspecting Vinyl from all sides, “I need a little more light.” With a bit of effort, he broke a wooden slat off of a nearby crate, and then lit it on fire with his breath.

“NOOO!!!” screamed Pinkamena, knocking Spike aside and stamping furiously on the torch until it was extinguished.

“What did you do that for?” Spike demanded as he got up.

“Well...uh, somepony could have seen the light!” Pinkamena explained.


Spike didn’t buy it. The only windows in the warehouse were mounted near the ceiling, making it highly unlikely that a tiny little torch would be visible from outside. It seemed more likely that the fire that had brought her to Ponyville had had some long-term effect on her.


“I’ve got to get her to snap out of this spell!” said Spike, looking at the unicorn. Vinyl in turn just stood there, her head and tail both drooping. “She told me that there’s something wrong with the world, something bigger than anything going on here in Ponyville,” he told Pinkamena.

Pinkamena walked by Vinyl slowly, lightly running one hoof through her coat and getting it coated with dust. “Well maybe getting this stuff off might make it easier. Although like I said, I’ve tried everything.” She fiddled with one of the crates in the warehouse, and returned with a large electromagical fan. Ten minutes of tinkering later, and it was now a mechanical fan powered by a long ripcord which was wound around it. Pinkamena tied the free end of the cord to a hind leg, and took off running a circuit of the warehouse.

The fan succeeded in blowing all of the diamond dust out of the coat of the passive unicorn, and into the air. Spike and Pinkamena sneezed simultaneously.

“Oh no!” Spike exclaimed, running up to the pink pony. “You gotta fight off of the gladness, Pinkamena!”

Pinkamena raised an eyebrow. “You’re strange, Spike,” she said. “And you don’t have to worry. I’m too messed up in the head for Rarity to ever get her hooks into me.”

Spike walked back to Vinyl Scratch and studied her closely once again.

“Vinyl, can you hear me?” he asked.

She did nothing.

“Rarity wants you to look at me.”

Still nothing.

Standing in front of her, he said, “I think Rarity is a big fat-head!” and then flinched in anticipation of a tirade.

And Vinyl remained motionless.

“Well that’s something,” admitted Pinkamena, trying (and failing) to comfort him. She looked out between the slats of a boarded-up window at the night sky. “You know, I always think better on a full stomach. How about some supper?” She opened up another crate and pulled out the straw used to pack it.

Spike made a face. “That’s OK, Vinyl brought me a snack,” he said, reaching up on tip-toe to open one of the unicorn’s saddlebags. Digging around for a few seconds, he triumphantly fished out a pale blue amethyst, but it slipped out of his claws and bounced from the top of one wooden crate to another: tink-tink-tink-tink-tink!

Vinyl’s ears instantly swiveled to follow the sound.

“Do that again,” Pinkamena told him.

Spike turned around and noticed the change in Vinyl’s ears. “The song!” he exclaimed. He backed up to the nearest crate, and started using his tail to start pounding out the rhythm she had taught him, over and over again:

Thump-thump-thump-thump-thump!
Thump-thump-thump-thump-thump!
Thump-thump-thump-thump-thump!
Thump-thump-thump-thump, thump-thump-thump-thump...