• Published 23rd Dec 2011
  • 957 Views, 23 Comments

Revelatory Filly Skydance - Gabriel LaVedier

  • ...
2
 23
 957

Act Four: The Spaces Between

Act Four: The Spaces Between

Dramatis Personae

Scootaloo as Skydance

Sweetie Belle as Daisy Dreams

Applebloom as Country Roads

Diamond Tiara as Candy Stripes

Silver Spoon as Judgmental

Twist as Time Tokens

Rainbow Dash as Ace Pinnacle

Zecora as The Violet Witch

The curtain came up on the Gate set. Skydance was standing before the imposing gate, looking on it with a mixture of anger and fear. She was wearing her Horsetari Academy colt's uniform, but with all the insignia ripped off, the tattered fabric making her look all the more powerful. Daisy Dreams was beside her, out of her Lily Friend dress. Just behind both of them were the Violet Witch and Country Roads, forelegs linked together. Skydance gave a huge sigh and swept her gaze over all three. “This is it. He's waiting for me up there. And it's time to figure out just what this is all about.”

The Witch nodded, saying, “Do not fear the fear you feel/ It lets you know your self is real./ Focus hard upon your goal/ But forget not you are a foal.”

“You don't have to go if you don't want. We could live really well in The Untrotted Forest. Together.” Daisy gave a small, shy smile and pressed lightly against Skydance.

The pegasus shook her head glared at the gate. “Even if she's just a memory, she's my memory of the one that saved my life. And no creepy puff of smoke is going to take that away from me.”

“If that's how you feel... then... let's go get that guy!” Daisy suddenly struck a forceful pose and stabbed her horn towards the gate.

Skydance beamed proudly and then thrust her neck towards the gate. The main stage was plunged into darkness as the special effects team projected the image of the gate reacting with the necklace. The scene of the staircase was much different from before. It was far more opulent, the central hollow portion inside the spiral seen to be filled with display spaces. Within were different objects, from carriages to fancy clothes to statues of fancy ponies. As some kind of bonus for the amusement of the audience, Discord's statue was visible, decked out with some kind of fuzzy blue outfit with huge ears coming off the side of his head. Also different was that rather than just Skydance going up the stairs she was trailed by the other three that had come with her. The music was not any different, a jamming tune with huge bass reverb that practically shook the audience.

At the top of the stairs the special effects faded to show the Duel Field stage setting again. The imposing setting had been destroyed. The illusory floor was pitted and scarred, loose pieces of stone pulled out and strewn through the area. The sky above was red and imposing, with faint flashes of lightning. At the far end from where the four had arrived there were the members of the Student Council. All four were hanging up, the comfortable harnesses hidden by illusions to make it appear that the three fillies were hung out by blue marionette strings, while Ace Pinnacle was hanging, with small motions, in the thorny rose stems, thought there was no blood or anything, sparing the audience and actors.

Skydance strode confidently forward and “Hey! You! Creepy thing! Whatever you are! I'm here! And I'm not afraid of you!”

“Oh, but you are...” The exaggeratedly cultured voice purred out over the scene, coming from no one point. “How could you not be? You are but a filly, and you already ran away once. Why would anything change? Even with that old relic behind you, you are not any different than you were when you left.”

“You're wrong! I got myself back together, and I trained hard to beat you! I know that I can do it. I can save Ace, and make you let go of everypony, especially Daisy!”

“The Lily Friend? You think you can take the Lily Friend away from me? From this place? You naive fool!” Mocking laughter rang out around the dueling field, the hanging ponies laughing in a mechanical fashion.

“We can beat you! We can! Because now we know what it takes!” Skydance turned to Daisy, getting close to her chest. “You'll never steal our power to find what we want to do in life! Come on, I'll take you on! Sword of Celestia, grant me the power to bring Cutie Mark location!” Her teeth bit down onto the handle of the prop sword that had been levitated into position, pulling it out with the flash of illusion to turn it into the mystical sword.

“This I what you believe, is it? What you truly think will free you from my influence? Oh how glorious! Wonderfully foolish! Brilliantly ludicrous!” A swirl of blue smoke curled down from above the stage and landed in the center, coalescing into the figure from before, the strange fusion of Blueblood and Nightmare Moon. “This is your plan, young filly? To attack me with all your passion and skill? Why, I would imagine you also believe you will triumph with a flourish after I have beaten you down, you will liberate your heroine, all the other Student Council members will have a grudging respect for you, and you will ride off into the sunset with the freed Lily Friend by your side.”

Skydance stood there, unmoving, her face wavering. “It could happen.”

The figure smiled cruelly and waved his head. Books levitated into view, along with posters from popular movies and comic book point-of-sale displays. “It has happened! More times than I can count. I'd imagine you've seen it happen a few times yourself. That's the beauty of it. You know it will work because I've told you before that it has.”

“Monster, do not taunt her so!/ She is not your toy so let her go!” The Violet witch broke the stifling atmosphere with a stomp of her hoof and a quick flash of power. Country, being so close, copied the motion and snorted in lieu of a flash.

“Oh silence, you doddering fossil! You are hardly one to speak. All you want is to drag these folk back to that old and inefficient time of rituals chants and pointless accessories. All for free and all with no flash and style. Surely you can do better than to just promote your old ways.”

“Though the Puppetmaster has fierce disguise.../ Is that fear I see behind his eyes?/ What cause could make you turn so bold? Is it not to stop your blood growing cold?”

“Ridiculous! I am not afraid of you! Haven't you noticed? I've already won! You were obsolete and irrelevant the first time somepony figured out students have money.” Images rapidly appeared and disappeared, of books and tapes and records and CDs and clothing of all descriptions. “After that, well... what do you matter anymore?”

“Be quiet! She ain't gotta take yer abuse ya mean thing! Yer a right ornery critter but ya ain't nothin' but a big ol' bag-a hot air!” Country boldly strode forth and stomped her hooves on the ground, protectively bringing her body around the Violet Witch's chest.

“The country mouse squeaks! You, too, are an irrelevant relic, a museum-piece to be mocked and ridiculed by your urban and suburban sisters. Even if you serve a purpose it should be served silently and anonymously. Go away, with that useless creature. You are right to be in love with one another. You are both worthless.”

“That's enough!” Skydance stomped a hoof down on the ground, actually causing the field to shake. “You can't talk to my friends like that! If you think I'm so weak and pathetic, then come show me I can't win. Otherwise the Witch is right, you're just afraid of me!”

“As you will, little puppet. You serve your role well, as you always have. Right to the hilt!” The Puppemaster called forth a cloud of his blue smoke and formed it into a sword very like the one Skydance held. It flashed with the same brilliance as he charged forward to meet her.

The two met with an intense crash, metal ringing against metal and swords flashing from the opposing magic within each of them. The strikes were cautious, Skydance responding to what Puppetmaster did, the big stallion trying to pick out any weakness in Skydance's defensive stance. They were equally matched, by and large, each motion met with a quick, opposing twist or thrust.

“Enough of this!” There was a blue flash, Puppetmaster vanishing from the battle. He was replaced by Time Tokens, still hanging from her blue strings.

“There ith no flower to thlash. You can't with unleth...” She went quiet as a sword materialized in her teeth and she was induced to fight.

“Ha! Coward!” Skydance was well versed in the fighting techniques of Time Tokens. She thought it would be an easy fight. There was something different about her, however. Her clockwork motions were jerky and hesitant, not quite an imitation, more as if she was being forced to use her techniques and was resisting. She even left her chest open at opportune moments. In a regular duel it would have been enough for a flower cut, but in the form presented... “I'm not going to kill you!”

“Pleathe! Releathe me from thith horrible control!” Time Tokens continued to strike, with less and less jerking or hesitation. “He ith getting thtronger!”

The swords clashed a few more times, Skydance watching the motions for some opportunity to disarm her opponent. Then she noticed the blue strings, finally giving them some serious thought. With a huge leap and flutter of her wings she left Time Tokens stroking at air. She pushed forward and sliced the blue tendrils with a sweep of her head.

Time Tokens hit the ground with a thump, sword falling from her teeth and being covered by an illusion of being vanished. The filly panted lightly, slowly crawling away in her new liberty. “Thank you for thith...”

“It was never my intention...” Judgmental was led forward, her head bowed, the sword appearing in her teeth. “I just wanted...”She was silenced by her sudden induction to attack.

“How foolish of me. I was so smart but I never thought...” Candy Stripes took the sword in her teeth and went into an attack, joining with Judgmental. “I wanted what I didn't know I could have.”

The two attacked with their usual aplomb, working as a unit, despite trying to resist the influence forcing them to fight. They moved close together, to form a closer wall of steel, until their forelegs locked together. When that happened they managed to drop their heads and fight against the influence. Skydance picked up on the offer and she leaped again, swiping at all the tendrils controlling the two fillies. “Get a new trick, I think I figured this one out!”

“Perhaps you have...” Puppetmaster appeared suddenly behind Skydance, the filly turning just fast enough to block the blow that swept down at her. “But that will hardly help you against me. I see you do not really understand what I am, what I represent, why you cannot defeat me. Your ancient 'Mentor' could not tell you. I doubt she even knows.”

“Why should I care? I just need to get rid of you and then free Ace and then... then...” Skydance faltered a little bit, comprehending that she had no clue what would happen after she won, especially since Ace wasn't really real.

“And then... what?” Puppetmaster's smug tone enhanced the brutality of his casual swipe, which knocked Skydance off of her hooves and sent her tumbling along the ground. “You little fool... you never understood...” A vicious stomp missed the nimble pegasus, but only just. “You cannot defeat me... don't you see? When you are not an adult and not a mere foal you have entered the shadowy, ill-defined world in the middle. In the spaces between. In my control.”

Skydance shook her head as she rose to her hooves, still clutching the sword in her teeth. “You don't control me! I'm not one of your little puppets. I'm still here and still able to attack you!” She struck out at the blue figure, who simply vanished, reappearing beside Ace.

“Well now... aren't you feeling all your arrogance today? Good. In all the fiction I create arrogance in the star gets punished. And humility leads to abuses before it pays off. You are in terrible standing so far as I can see.” Puppetmaster produced his sword again, grinning as he strode forward.

“Okay... I may not be able to do this on my own. You guys? Any help would be useful!” Skydance fended off an assault by Puppetmaster, but was pushed back with each strike.

“If it is how it must be,/ I will act to make you free!” The Violet Witch extended numerous violet tendrils and reached out for Puppetmaster.

“Ha! At last!” After heaving a heavy strike at Skydance Puppetmaster assaulted the violet energy with blue threads. He wrapped the violet ones tight in blue, a glow flowing out of them and into him. “You dared to face me in all fullness. You are too weak. And I will show you the price of your weakness...”

“Miss Witch, ma'am!” Country ran to aid the Witch, but was thrown away by a flash of blue.

“How appropriate. The two useless holdovers... enjoy the true nature of the spaces between.”A magical screen came up to display what was supposed to be happening to Country and the Witch. Stone walls rose up around them, a zoom out showing them to be trapped in different parts of a large maze.

“Country!” Skydance approached the left stage, which had a large stone wall set up there. “Let them out of there now!” She slashed at the stone with the Sword of Celestia, sending off showers of magical sparks.

“That's not scheduled until the next act. You're not staying to the script!” Puppetmaster attacked again, but was interrupted by a sudden flash of light from Daisy.

“Stay away from her!” Daisy stepped protectively in front of Skydance, sweeping a hoof to try and push the huge stallion back.

“And you! That's not your role! You're supposed to be the quiet wallflower.” Blue tendrils wrapped around Daisy and hauled her away to the other side of the stage, pressing her against the wall that had been set up there. “So now, Skydance... what do you think of your attempt at being the heroine?”

Skydance looked between the two walls, and looked at the magical screen showing the Witch and Country wandering through the maze. She wiped her eyes and sucked a breath around the handle of the sword. “I'm still going to beat you! I don't care if you say it's a story! It's going to happen! I'll beat you and get my Cutie Mark, and then I'll know what to do next!”

“Oh Skydance...” The big stallion affected a softer tone, still rumbling out with heavy bass but some indication was put in to show he was trying to appear kind. “Even those with Cutie Marks don't know what they want sometimes. Isn't it actually good to be a Blank Flank? Don't you have so many options?” Blue tendrils started to work around Skydance's legs, hiding safety harnesses in them. “Why so much rush for a mark? Stay a Blank Flank...” The blue tendril illusions were slowly transformed into the kind of rose stems that had wrapped Ace. “And don't forget to try the new line of Blank Flank wear! It's the only way to stay in the cool crowd!”

Music started to swell, a combination of the drum-heavy, ponderous classical organ piece and some light flute piece that evoked a sense of sadness. Spotlights highlighted the states of the protagonists, Country and the Witch trapped in the maze, Daisy strapped to the wall, Skydance hauled up by the rose thorns, the sword of Celestia sliding from her grip and clattering to the ground. Puppetmaster stood in an increasingly-blue spotlight, gloating for a moment before he turned to Skydance, whispers and swords materializing. “Have you any last thing to say before you feel the malice of waving tongues?”

Before the answer came, Daisy screamed out, “Don't let him win! You can do this! You're a real heroine! I know you are! Just be true to yourself! Don't listen to him! You know what's real!”

The magical screen showing the maze revealed Country suddenly looking up, as though she could see her observers. After taking a few blinks she reared back and bucked at the wall. The first impact was as expected, little more than a thump. The next actually shook the solid stone. The third actually blew through the walls, cracking them from her position to the Witch. The shockwave continued through to the side of the stage, cracking the setpiece set up there to represent the maze.

Skydance raised her head and twisted, falling out of the rose thorns and hitting the stage with a firm thump. “I know what's real. Country wanted to get out of there with the Witch and she will. She doesn't buy this confusion and twisting. I don't either. I'm not going to play this game like you want.”

Puppetmaster laughed, the swords of malice still hovering around his head. “You're playing into my hooves once again. Oh, a determined last stand. The rally of your friends turned into your energy. Bah. I have scripted a thousand of them.”

“I don't care if you think it's cheap. I'm not listening to you. I'm doing it my way, the honest way.” Skydance charged to the opposite side of the stage to release Daisy. The touch of a hoof let Daisy fall to the stage. “I understand. I'm ready to escape. With you.”

“Good! Come on, you can beat him now.” Daisy presented her chest, an image of the handle of the sword of Celestia appearing from the presented spot.

Skydance placed her hooves on the handle and slowly pushed it back down. “I don't need that. That's not me, it never was. I may belong here... but I'm going to do this my way.” She suddenly struck a commanding pose, one hoof to the sky, crying out, “Scooter! To me!” There was a general silence, and even a staticky flicker of all the special effects. Skydance rolled her eyes and stepped slightly to the side. “Fine... Here, my scooter, which I now see was always there because it's what is really my thing. Now I can be truly who I am.”

Daisy put a helmet on and clapped one onto Skydance's head. She motioned to the other side of the stage, where Country and the Witch had emerged from behind the cracked faux-rock wall. “Come on, now we can get out of here.”

Country hugged the Witch's leg and shook her head. “Ah can stay here. Miss Witch here can keep me safe, an' keep on teachin' me 'bout all that herbal potion stuff.”

“Thank you much little dear,/ it will be sweet to have you here.../ And for the bold two of you/ continue to be forever true.” The Witch stroked Country softly with a tendril, then wrapped her up entirely, creating a violet flash, hiding their rapid dash from the stage.

Skydance settled the scooter carefully on the treadmill set into the stage and motioned for Daisy. Once she was aboard the pegasus buzzed her wings and gave every appearance of zipping along, the scrolling background showing a passage of the dueling field. Before they could go very far the passage was interrupted by the intervention of Puppetmaster. He was just a head and shoulders, looming with blank, white eyes. “No! You are my prisoners in this modern age! You will buy as you are told, watch as you are told, listen, speak, act, dress and be as you are told! Obey the culture of your peers! Obey me!”

All around the stage came the illusion of magazines, movie posters, CD cases and record sleeves, televisions and all classes of designer clothes. They swarmed in and attached to Skydance and Daisy. Both fillies cried out, Skydance's wings buzzing louder and louder as she fought against the pressure around her. “Daisy! Are you still there? We can do it! We can get out together!”

“I'm here! I believe in you, Skydance! I believe in you! I love you!”

“I love you too, Daisy! Daisy! Daisy!” The scene was washed out in a huge, powerful flare of white light that consumed all attention and forced everypony in the audience to cover their eyes.

When the light finally faded the stage was completely different. It was an ordinary, brightly-lit schoolroom. There were two rows of visible desks, the front set with Judgmental, Candy Stripes and Time Tokens, the rear with Daisy Dreams, Skydance and Country Roads. At the front of the classroom was Ace Pinnacle in a teacher's garb. She was carrying over the call from the prior scene, “Daisy! Daisy!”

Daisy popped her ears high and shook her head. “Oh! Sorry Miss Pinnacle!”

“Daydreaming again...” Ace shook her head and chuckled. “Good thing we were done anyhow. Alright guys, see you later. And Daisy... maybe try a mocha in the morning or something.”

“Yes ma'am. Sorry.” Daisy blushed hotly and rose form her desk.

“Blank Flanks. Can't even bother to pay attention.” Candy Stripes walked by with a laugh. A screen showed a close up of the magazine she carried with her, which featured a cover model that had a passing resemblance to Puppetmaster.

“Come on, don't even bother with them. We can go to my place and I'll get us some cake.” Judgmental casually placed a hoof around Candy and slowly drew her along.

“Fine. Cake with you sounds much better than gabbing with Blank Flanks.” Candy turned her nose up, pressed against Judgmental and strolled out with her.

Skydance, Country and Daisy strolled along on the treadmill while the scrolling background showed the passage from a classroom to the outside. Skydance speaks up and has a chuckle in her voice, “I never knew you thought Miss Pinnacle was boring. I think she's awesome! Retired racer and all that.”

“I don't think she's boring. I just... well...” Daisy scratched at her neck shyly then pointed. “Oh! There's Miss Violet!”

“Hey Miss Violet! Is it time fer our lessons?” Country dashed on ahead, to meet the striped legs of Miss Violet.

“Hello to you my little ones!/ Was the class with Ace not much fun?/ I see that Daisy slept right through/ Oh filly whatever will you do?”

Daisy blushed deeper and fanned herself with a hoof. “I just... need to dream sometimes. I guess you won't be hanging around, Country?”

Country blushed a bit and tucked herself behind one of the striped legs. “Naw. We gotta go do some more trainin' in herbs an' such, then we gotta get home. Mah kin's gonna make us sit through another one-a them 'rehearsal dinners.'”

Skydance laughed and nodded. “Alright. Try to have fun.” She waved at the departing pair and turned to Daisy. “Well, guess I'll take off too. I have tricks to do.”

“Skydance, wait! Umm... there's something...” Daisy turned her head away and self-consciously waved one foreleg lightly.

“Was it about your dream? You always want me to hear about them, then you kinda run off blushing.”

“No! Well... kinda... my dream was about all of us, in a weird school run by an evil pony trying to make us buy new dresses and watch new movies.”

“Sounds... right for you. It's always something like that. I don't mind watching movies if they're awesome. But dresses? Bleah. I'm a total tomcolt.”

“Just like a prince...” Daisy said, aside, for the benefit of the audience.

“What?”

“Nothing! Ummm... well... there was also stuff about being honest and stuff...”

“Yea?” Skydance leaned in closer to the demure unicorn.

“And... well... oh come on!” Suddenly Daisy surged forward, grabbing Skydance up into a hard, deep kiss.

The moment the lips impacted there was a resonant musical sting, followed by singing as the curtain went down. “Missing Truth and forever kissing love and true your heart...”

Comments ( 8 )

And so it ends. I think I can truthfully say that, for a story based on ponies turning Utena into a play, it stayed coherent. I was wondering what you were going to do about the car part, I should have seen the scooter coming.

Wow... that was great, honestly. I think I still wanna write the anime equivalent to this. Anyway, good luck with all of your future writing.

2125844

I was partially inspired by an old Drawfriend picture of Scootaloo, in Thor pose, calling to the clouds "Scooter! To me!" with the scooter descending from heavens in golden light. Here it did not go as well but that's part of the fun :twilightsmile: And thanks for sticking with it.

2125872

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

2125872

But there already is an anime version of it, it's source material, Revolutionary Girl Utena... Am I missing something from your thought?

2153187 This story was based off of the Revolutionary Girl Utena movie. My version will be the Revolutionary Girl Utena anime equivalent.

2153785

Ahh, okay. I've only seen bits and pieces of each along with reviews, just enough to know the basic plot.

3425709

You'll probably like the last chapter.

Login or register to comment