• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 4,626 Views, 1,089 Comments

The Album - Peregrine Caged



A collection of 'snapshots', short stories that represent Moments in the lives of various ponies

  • ...
10
 1,089
 4,626

PreviousChapters Next
Twinkleshine -- Dreams Can Come True

Written by: Sasha Nein
Rated Everyone



“I would like a half pound of taffy, Jolly Buckers and... Hello, are you there Twinkle?”

Twinkleshine was rattled out of her thoughts as a jasmine-colored pegasus clopped her hooves together in front of her face.

Twinkle jerked. “Oh... oh, sorry Raindrops. I’m sorry... I was just thinking.”

Raindrops giggled. “Well, just so long as it was about somepony good-looking like...” she trailed off with a smirk.

Twinkle blushed and turned abruptly to fill the order from the candy bins behind the counter, cursing her white coat.

“Uhm, no, I wasn’t thinking about any certain somepony... I was just...” Twinkle stopped. No, she didn’t really want to lay out what she had been thinking, not to Raindrops.

“Aww, c’mon. You don’t have your eyes on anypony?” Raindrops cooed. “Are you suuure? Because you don’t look--”

“And here is your order. Was there something you wanted to add to this?” Twinkle asked quickly, hoping to spare herself an even redder face.

Thankfully for Twinkle, it worked! Raindrops, distracted, looked at her order and then checked her list.

“Oh! I need some caramel for a project. Do you think five pounds would be enough?”

Twinkle choked. “Uh, just how big is this project? That’s enough to coat your entire kitchen in a healthy layer of caramel, Raindrops.”

“Woops! Okay, well, maybe just a pound then; it’s not that big,” Raindrops said.

Twinkle promptly pulled out a brick of the brown candy and added it to the bag. “Alright, that will be thirty-two bits.”

Raindrops tossed the money on the counter and Twinkle levitated the candy into her saddlebags.

“Thanks a bunch Twinkle. I’ll see you around!” She flew out the door eagerly, her mind already on her ‘project’. Thankfully she forgot to continue her conversation about special someponies.

Twinkle sighed and looked around the shop. The storefront was in pristine order. The few rows of packaged candies were full; there had not been many young ponies in today looking to purchase sweets. The taffy bin was running low however. It was weird how different candies seemed to pick random days of the week to be craved.

She ran Raindrops’ comments over in her mind and she went to check on the taffy inventory. It had been two years since she had come to Ponyville. She was not interested in any relationships, she wanted to pursue her dream. Yet the mayor still had not found anypony with bits looking to expand the town’s astronomy department. She had been keeping a careful eye out herself, but to no avail.

She had an apartment back in Canterlot, but the outrageous rent there had broken her bank. When she had been a student in Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, she had been able to practice astronomy with some of the graduated scientists as an assistant, but that sort of job did not pay enough for her to stay once she lost her school funding.

Twinkle shuddered at the memory of the royal wedding a few weeks prior. She had not found anypony there even remotely interested in the subject, let alone knowing Ponyville existed. Maybe it was for the best she had been “retired” as Princess Cadence’s... well, more like Queen of the Changelings’... bridesmaid, before she had broken down in frustration and made a scene. Still, being possessed seemed a rather extreme way to remove her from the situation, but then again, perhaps she should be happy it had only been temporary brainwashing.

Two years, two years in Ponyville and she was no closer to achieving her goals. Sure, she had been able to purchase herself a decent telescope since being here, and she kept up with recent developments and findings from the library collection (That Twilight was on the ball with those sorts of things). But she was still working in a candy shop and still living on her own. The mayor evidently had not found a good room mate for her yet, so she was still paying the whole rent on a duplex. Not that it bothered her to have the home to herself, but it was just that many bits a month keeping her from furthering her own interests.

She scoured the shelves of sweets as she mused. “Taffy... taffy, ah, there it is.” She sighed once more as she checked the shelf; it was almost empty back here as well. How much longer was she going to be doing this?

“Hey there Twinkly. Your face seems really long today. How’s it going?” Bon Bon walked up and gave her a hug.

Twinkle smiled, Bon Bon was always so nice. Because of that, she rather enjoyed working here, but she had spent eight years of her life studying a passion. Her cutie mark was stars! And yet, here she was, selling candy.

“I’m just fine Bon Bon, thanks for asking though. I’m just thinking about when I first moved here. I just want to get an astronomy job of sorts here someday. I’ve been waiting two years for an opportunity to present itself.”

“Have you thought of moving back to Canterlot for a job? I’m sure a few of those universities could use you.”

“Well I have thought about it. I’ve even thought about moving to Fillydelphia or Manehattan where they have some research centers and universities that I could most likely get a job with, for a lot cheaper than Canterlot too.” Twinkle sighed. “But, I’ve actually grown rather fond of Ponyville, it is so quiet, relaxed and everypony knows each other. I’m not sure I could leave if an opportunity presented itself.”

“I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it so much here,” Bon Bon beamed, “but I do-” She stopped. Twinkle heard a faint jingle as the shop door closed.

Bon Bon smiled. “We can talk a little later, we close in a couple hours and-- ohmygosh I forgot about the taffy!”

With an exaggerated gasp, Bon Bon promptly turned on her hooves and galloped into the kitchen where she had evidently left something cooking. Twinkle grinned as she made her way out to the counter.

“Good day Twinkleshine,” Mayor Mare said brightly.

“Hello Mayor, what can I get for you?” Twinkle asked as brightly as she could. She shoved down the frustrating memories as she tried to maintain a smile.

“Actually, I came in today to give you something.” The mare turned and began digging in her saddlebags while Twinkle’s heart skipped. “Ah, here it is.” Her head whipped back around holding a piece of paper. “Twilight stopped by today informing me of a rather interesting project she is undertaking. It would seem there is a comet that will be passing rather close in a fortnight or so and she is requesting a place to erect a temporary observation tower. I hear she requested Princess Celestia to transport a large telescope for her to assemble down here as well.”

Twinkle could feel her eyes getting larger with each word, this was certainly news! Not the comet of course, she wasn’t much of an astronomer if she didn’t know about that. But Twilight Sparkle building a tower and getting real surveying equipment? She had unhappily planned on observing from home since she had no other place to do so, but now....

“Now,” the mayor continued, “she has only requested construction help at this point, but I suggest you head on over to the library and talk with Twilight and offer your skills. This is a good opportunity.”

The mayor set the page down on the counter. Twinkle quickly moved to hug the mare.

“Thankyou thankyou thankyou! I didn’t know Twilight Sparkle was so interested in cosmic events!”

Mayor Mare gave Twinkle a quizzical look, “Twinkleshine, this is Twilight Sparkle we are talking about... She keeps up with everything not related to social activities.”

“Er, right. I knew that,” Twinkle said, slightly embarrassed. “Well, I’ll be sure to stop by the library today. Was there anything else you wanted?”

“No, I’ve got more errands to run. I hope everything goes well for you Twinkleshine!”

“Thanks again Mayor!” Twinkle said.

She picked up the note, feeling that it actually was real. Carefully placing it in her saddlebag behind the counter, she went to check on the taffy with a skip in her step.

This was it, her opportunity of a lifetime. All she needed to do was go meet with Twilight Sparkle and show her what she could do. Twilight would never pass up a chance to gather even more information on rare events.

PreviousChapters Next