• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 4,626 Views, 1,089 Comments

The Album - Peregrine Caged



A collection of 'snapshots', short stories that represent Moments in the lives of various ponies

  • ...
10
 1,089
 4,626

PreviousChapters Next
Blueblood -- The Harrowing Journey

Written by: Ravenscroft
Rated Everyone


An arctic blue eye opened, glaring at the clock on the wall, not knowing such a simple action would mark the beginning of a journey most harrowing, of hardship and sacrifice, of co-operation with the most unlikely allies to accomplish the most necessary of goals. The eye’s owner did not yet know that, all it did was analyze the numbers upon the clock’s face.

Six thirty two AM.

Six. Thirty. Two.

Luna's moon had fully set and Auntie Tia's sun raised for a full two minutes. Blueblood knew this, since he'd been awake for those past two minutes, awakening from habit of being woken at six thirty every day for the past four years by his servants. He would then be bathed for twenty minutes, dried for another ten, dressed for fifteen, and finally give himself fifteen minutes to get a chariot, so that he may arrive to breakfast in the adjoining mansion house five minutes late.

After all, royalty waits on nopony, his being late let them know how important and busy he is, allowed the staff and commonfolk serfs to feel good about themselves for performing for such an admirable pony as himself. Truly, it was the best effort he could exert to bring some small smattering of glory into their dull, uninspired commoner-lives.

But now... NOW... There was a flaw in the routine, an error. It happened on occasion, these things were wont to occur every now and again. But today? Of all days? Today was maple-vanilla oatmeal day for breakfast as their hot food; Auntie only imported enough beans for them to be prepared once or twice a month. Imported oats from Zebrica, vanilla beans from the farthest reaches of Dragadeus, and of course the maple was local. One must support the uncultured local mudponies, after all, and no worry, four unicorn servants sieved the liquid to ensure no low-class contagions remained within.

A fine dish, in these cooler winter months especially. But to come seven minutes late--eight minutes late--instead of his customary five, it would begin to cool and congeal before his thoroughbred enjoyment of it.

At this moment, a pleb both knocked upon his greatdoor and opened it in quick succession. Blueblood stared out the picture window towards his city below, listening for the voice.

"Royal Prince Blueblood, sir, it is time to wake, if it pleases you." It came nervously, uncertain.

The serf was a mudpony, coat as dark dirt-toned as his breed. Blueblood knew that doctors ensured none of the miscreants making a show of trying to serve him were infective, but he was glad nonetheless that he had other ponies, with commoner antibodies to fight off commoner disease, to touch that door now. He almost caught commoner disease once, it was a fearful and eye-opening experience.

Regardless, the fact it was such a subspecies made him understand, he would need to speak slowly.

"You were, and are, three minutes late to your job. I have been lying here in bed for all that time and nopony thought it pertinent to wake me." The noble unicorn paused a bit, realizing something important; always be clear with those under-privileged and under-evolved. "Pertinent means 'To be important or of immediate interest'."

The mudpony took a moment to take that in. Of course he did, they were not the brightest after all. The servant deemed it necessary to ask a question, even, when he should have been readying a bathrobe.

"If you were awake, with all due respect, why didn't you just get up?" Clearly, this poor soul was a bit slow in the head. But one can never tell with these...ponies. The slow ones were sometimes quite quick to anger when it was pointed out to them, even if he was just trying to help.

"If I woke myself up, you would be out of a job. Then you would not buy goods in the local marketplace and would not stimulate the economy of my city. But clearly this is a bit beyond your abilities, so latrine duties might be more appropriate for you." Really, the way commoners let their mouths hang open like that, trying to catch flies, in a way it almost impressed Blueblood, akin to seeing the impressive yawn of a raccoon.

Either way, time was wasting, and the base servant finally managed to bring him his bath coat. Five minutes already had passed and the prince took no time in leaving his down feather bed. It was a gift of the griffons, made of, apparently, their foes, as a way to show contempt for the fallen. More importantly, it was oh so very soft, and sewn with thread-of-gold and both red and blue silk. If griffin civil war generated more products like it, he was all for it. But regardless, bathing awaited.

At least that task had competent ponies. His four unicorn team heard of his delay and determined themselves that they could expedite his morning rituals by four minutes. That was the proper way of the servant pony, solving problems. Of course, they were unicorns, it would be unfair to compare them to those other poor unfortunates like the one awaiting his return in his room. Whatever his name was. Mudpony names all sounded the same, really.

Hygiene was very important to nobility. They were the exemplar form for ponies to aspire to. It was not so much a desire as a duty to appear immaculate for the public, to be a shining star that illuminates the dreariness of their daily lives, if only for a moment. Scrub, soap, shampoo, sparkle, shine, and many other "s" words were key in that process, and a finish with a magic-induced drying; brushing every spot on the coat one hundred times and his mane two. It was needlessly time consuming, even with his good and proper subjects doing the best they could to hurry.

...The pains we go through to help others...

Seven oh one. There was still the need to shave one minute off the routine. He returned to his room to dress for the day, uncertain on how to get this done, as that base servant began picking out his day's attire.

"Sir, if you skip the bowtie, it'll probably take a minute or two off your dressing time." Well, at least the charity case was trying.

"And attempt a straight tie instead? Those are so nouveau riche. Well, I suppose I can feign incompetence of the staff should anypony make comment." Blueblood doubted his dresser today had the intellect to grasp the irony of the statement, but one never knew.

Carefully and delicately the tuxedo was placed upon him, along with a sapphire blue tie and black shining shoes. The royal unicorn checked the clock once more. Somehow he had lost a minute!

"I've lost any time I may have gained, I am back at square one! Clearly this is your fault once more for taking so much time talking instead of moving from one spot and actually doing something about it." No time to wait on the mudpony's inept excuses, there was a carriage to catch. Oh, the poor had it so easy, they could simply teleport instead of all this pomp and circumstance, but the golden diamond-studded chariot was necessary as a display of confidence, a show of solidity of the upper class.

Blueblood left in a dignified and only slightly faster than normal canter. As the doors closed, he could hear the mudpony moan: "I swear I'm transferring to Luna, this is impossible."

No time for that to be dealt with now, though. Many were too base to realize how much like the sun he shone, so far above them that they could merely not see it. It was a good thing indeed that his carriage pullers were pegasi. Not the brightest, but they were wise enough to know their place, protectorates of the unicorns. And that included protecting his schedule.

"Go faster! We must catch up in time before coming into sight of the manse, then slow right back down!" The order was well-received, his vehicle nearly taking off as the good and proper serfs put in their 100%. And as required, slowing to a trot brought Blueblood to the front of his destination as if they were at a leisurely pace the entire way, holding back any displays of weakness from the sprint.

Miraculously, it seemed like no other terrible misfortune would befall the poor Prince as the guards opened the door. Auntie Tia was there, awaiting him as always, as was the promising scent of the vanilla-maple oatmeal. With a concealed sigh of relief, he took his spot, and the family began their breakfast.

It was fairly decent, all things considered.

PreviousChapters Next