• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 377 Views, 12 Comments

Star of the Sea - JNKing



Star Wing of 'Survival of the Wolves' meets Archduke Razor Tail of 'High Seas of Adventure'

  • ...
0
 12
 377

Chapter 4: Lore and Build Up

After listening to the various tales Star found herself sitting in between Razor and Blackmane with a large plate in front of her, which held several items of food; some she was familiar with like pineapples and mangoes (the latter she happily devoured thanks to her thestral heritage kicking in), there were two she wasn’t: The first was the biggest orange she’d ever seen. By her guess it was at least eight inches in diameter with dark orange skin that was more like a shell.

“Uh, Captain?” Wing noted. “I think someone mixed the fruit up with the ammo.”

Razor noticed her pointing at the odd oranges and laughed. “Those are Cannon Oranges,” he explained. “The insides make the orange hard to eat, admittedly, but the juice is quite rich in vitamins and minerals. Especially vitamin C, thiamine, folate and potassium.”

“Oh,” Star realized. “All very important to avoid getting scurvy.” She chuckled as she took one of the oranges. “But you’re gonna make me fight for it, right Mr. Cannon Orange?” She grinned. “Well, challenge accepted!”

After a glorious fight with the cannon orange shell - a fight she won - Star noticed a second type of fruit: a large banana one meter in length. “And… that?” she asked.

“Sea Salt Banana,” Razor replied. “Think of Equestria’s Zap Apples.”

“Also rich in vitamins and minerals?”

“Very much so.”

Curious, Star took one. Thankfully, the peel was much easier to work with than the cannon orange. She took a bite, blinking in shock.

“Salty?” she paused, letting the taste develop. “No… sweet! Salty sweet.” She scoffed. “Oh, that’s why it’s called Sea Salt, right?”

Happily, she finished the banana, before turning her sights to a platter of salt lobster meat. In a few seconds, she found out why it was in such high demand: The moment it touched her tongue she tasted the juice and the meat seemed to melt in her mouth, making it even tastier. She couldn’t really describe the taste sadly - she had never had something like this before - but she couldn’t help but moan in delight which caused Razor and Blackmane to chuckle in amusement, remembering their own first times tasting the same meat.

As she ate, she could recall this was one of the few times she’d had her belly full. Thanks to the nobles, she had only ever gotten the lowest of scraps back at Equestria. After she was finished she rubbed her belly as she laid on Razor’s back.

“That’s gotta be one of the only times I’ve had a full stomach when I wasn’t around my mom or Uncle Flash,” she noted wistfully. “They always made sure I had enough.”

With Star reassuming her Night Fire persona, she and Razor left the Sea Oasis and he continued to show her the various sights; starting with a place called the “Market Grottoes”. The place was situated in the lowest parts of Imperator’s Grave, sitting just behind the wall to the port she had seen coming in and was a vast open-air market with shops of all kinds.

“With the right amount of coins,” Razor said. “One can buy almost anything. From everyday items like tools and bedding or even more dangerous items like weapons.”

“But no slaves, right?” Night remembered. “Slavery is beyond forbidden. Taboo!” She struggled not to laugh. “‘Taboo!’ Such a fun word to say for things that are so wrong.”

Razor chuckled as he also told her it was were the lowliest inhabitants (though he explained that was used very loosely and those same inhabitants were no worse off than those living in the Kraken’s Pits) dwell in a labyrinth of meandering canals and hidden inlets, with no separation between the homes they build and the sea where they ply their trade.

As they moved through the market Night spotted a bandana; a black strip of cloth with images of a red and blue dragon lunging at each other out of bursts of rainbow-colored flames. Night gasped in awe, catching Razor’s attention.

“Captain. Look!” she whispered. “Those dragons!” She indicated the bandana. “Their beautiful fury. Those passionate eyes. They understand! I must have them!”

Darting off Razor’s back, she eagerly pranced over to the marketer. “Tell me, my fine man,” she said. “How much for the dragons?” She indicated the bandana.

The sales pony laughed. “One of my finer ones, yeah?” He held out a hoof. “Ten bits.”

Nodding, Night dove for her bag… only for her face to fall. She glanced up at Razor, who struggled not to laugh at the look of utter sheepishness she had.

“I… didn’t think to pack bits when I left,” she whispered. “Captain, what do I say to the poor guy, he thinks we have a sale! I can’t give him nothing in return! I’m not a spoiled brat of a princess! I swear I’m leaving that life behind!”

“Relax, Star,” Razor replied, smoothly striding past her and placing the required payment on the stall. The salespony handed him the bandana in turn, and Razor offered the bandana to Star.

Night gasped in glee, before hugging Razor tight. A few seconds later, Night sat proudly on Razor’s back, her hood further back and the bandana on full display as she giggled proudly at the sight of it tied around her head.

“Well Night Fire, looks like you have the first item of your outfit now.” He said with a smile.

“My joy is endless and my day is wonderful,” Night Fire replied.

Razor’s smile grew bigger as he moved to the next spot: The giant inlet that Night had seen from the Dragon.

“This here is known as “The Maw”, where ships enter Imperator’s Grave to load and unload their cargo. Not really much else I can say about the port itself since when you see one port you kind of see them all.”

Night looked around, noted that Razor was right in that regard, when something caught her attention: Nearby was a Fluyt Merchant ship with its crew unloading their cargo, but that wasn’t what Night was looking at. It was the giant hermit crab, around the size of four wagons by Night’s guess and it’s shell looked lit it was made out of the husk of a ship though she couldn’t guess what kind. As she watch she noticed the Fluyt’s crew were attaching their cargo to the shell via ropes and netting, Razor followed her gaze and chuckled.

“Never seen giant crabs before huh?”

“I’ve only seen crabs in story books before.” She glanced at him. “Forgive me, but I remember them being slightly smaller.”

He grinned. “Giant Crabs come in various forms, from hermit to fiddler to coconut, and Merchants commonly use domesticated ones for moving heavy items. Those Crabs are also good in a fight, as you can probably tell by their claws.”

Night nodded, spying said claws. “Who do you think would win in a pinching contest?” she noted. “The Giant Crabs or the Salt Lobsters?” She mimicked two pinchers fighting each other with her hooves. “Rawr-rawr, yer not wearing green! I’mma get you!” she quipped in a bad impression of a lobster voice.

Razor laughed, as did several others in earshot, at her antics. The next place he showed her was located in a shadowy counter of The Maw inside a large inlet cavern easily large enough to fit a fleet of two hundred ships, known as the Guard Fleet Docks.

“You see Night,” Razor began, pointing out the place. “In addition to the deadly currents, hidden reefs, and sea creatures of all shapes and sizes that call Imperator’s Grave home, there is the massive armada that protects the waters around the archipelago. Ships patrol the waters every hour of the day from sunset to sundown, keeping watch for any threats that dare to attack.”

“Nice,” Night commented, while Razor then gestured to various points of the area.

“They might be a bit tricky to see from where we are, but first there’s the Shipwright Bays.” He pointed to the back area of the inlet cavern, where Night could see what looked to be a series of drydocks. “Those are basically drydocks for ship building, repairing, and whatnot. Not really much else I can say.”

“Kind of like the backstage crew in a theater,” Night Fire mused. “They’re not really talked about, but they do important stuff.” She noticed Razor’s look of curiosity. “I didn’t just get my story-fix from books. The Castle of Two Sisters had a really wonderful theater, with the best productions I’d ever seen.” She gazed at the dry docks wistfully. “That theater… the library… they’re definitely two of the very few things I miss about that place.”

She grimaced - she was getting a little too wistful and broody for her own liking. She needed to kick things back up to positive and light again. Her eyes fell on a massive ship sitting roughly in the center of the area. While not even close to the size of the Dragon, this ship is dwarfed all the ones around it, and it had a strange shape to it. It took a few seconds but something clicked in her mind as Night realized what she was looking as: A type of ship known as an Eastern Reaches Junk. Before today Night Fire had never seen one beyond a few pictures, and even than they’d been small fishing boats. This ship was clearly a warship by both its size and cannon ports.

“H-Hey, Captain Razor, isn’t that an Eastern Reaches Junk?” she asked with a new spring in her voice. “Looks like someone’s evolving ships.”

“That, Night Fire, is a former Caribou ship that was heavily damaged and rebuilt known as a “Titan”. Titans were created to counter other nations largest ships. Due to cost and other factors the Caribou were only able to build twenty-five of the beasts.”

“Right,” Night Fire nodded. “Mom and Uncle Flash warned me about the Caribou. Sworn enemies of Ponies everywhere…” She paused. “Except for the Red Nose Clan, they’re okay.” She gasped. “Is it true that a Red Nose Caribou saved Hearth’s Warming Eve?”

“Can’t really tell you that, lass,” Razor replied. “I mostly just know about the ships.”

Night Fire shrugged. “Ships are interesting too,” she replied, leaning forward as Razor continued.

“The one you see here was one of the first five that we… “liberated” from the Caribou. As it was badly damaged the Fleet Grand Admiral that took the ship rebuilt it in the image of the Junks of her homeland.”

“Fleet Grand Admiral?” Night asked.

“Under me and my Head Officers there are five individuals known as “Fleet Grand Admirals”. They are the Outcasts’ most loyal and trusted Officers, with their own armies and armadas at their beck and call should it be needed. Each one lost many things, family included, to those like Slavers and gave all they could to make sure it wouldn’t happen to others. This ship here is named the “Reach of Vengeance” and captained by the Eastern Kirin Ribbon Wave. I can’t pronounce her Eastern Reaches name but she’s fine with her second name and I think actually enjoys it. She lost all but one of the things she loved to the Northern Trade Union, and she now wants to see the faction that took everything from her burn until there’s nothing left.” Razor frowned as some memories came up. “It’s a little difficult for me to talk about Night, since I don’t think you’re old enough to hear the full story."

"Eh... heh, sure," Night murmured, glancing away before shaking off her nervousness. Thankfully, Razor didn't notice.

"But I can tell you, is that while she lost her mate; he didn’t pass without leaving her something.” He finished with a tooth smile as Night Fire's eyes slowly widened, as what Razor just said went through her mind.

“Ah!” Night realized with a grin. “Mama Ribbon Wave.”

Razor’s nod was all the answer she needed.

Night Fire smiled softly, but paused as a thought came to her. “Hang on, you said ‘first’ of five Titans? Where are the other four?”

“Well besides the Reach; there’s the “Rider of Storms”, the “Fortress of Freedom”, the “Haven of Souls”, and the “Burning of Tyrants”. Each of these ships are floating fortresses in their own right and each one is Captained by an individual like Ribbon Wave: Those who lost almost all they loved and now form the most powerful forces of the Outcasts.”

Night Fire grinned. “Bet those Caribou and NTU jerks won’t be needing a bathroom when those Titans show up.” She gazed back towards the Reach, curious about what kinds of stories the Fleet Grand Admirals would have.

Her attention was quickly diverted, though, as Razor pointed out a warehouse the size of a shopping mall, where the various treasures brought in by Outcast raiding fleets were stored for later use, a large area above the Guard Fleet docks that was known as the Arms’ Dump which was essentially a small city of blacksmiths. Night could hear the pounding of metal even from where they were thanks to her Thestral hearing. As they were leaving the Maw, Night Fire spotted another type of ship that she’d only heard about before: A longship, though this one more closely resembled the other ships in that it had more than one deck and cannons. The bow also had a heavy metal ram, plating, and a figurehead in the shape of a wolf in mid-pounce. She watched as the metal-plated longship used its oars to pull into an empty stop and the crew started unloading their cargo. The Ponies were quite large; Night Fire could only compare the size to some of the larger guards from her time in Equestria, ones that she tried to avoid as they were quite mean to her. But these Ponies, they looked even bigger with heavily scared faces and hardened looks in their eyes. Night was sure that just one of these Ponies could take on ten of those Guards and win with ease. Each one wore what she guessed was a set of very heavy winter clothing made from furs, though despite the temperature they didn’t seem even the slightest bit fazed by the heatt. She tipped Razor’s head with her hoof and pointed.

“So, Captain? Are those guys like… North warriors or something? I remember tales about warriors from the North, and… these guys are giving me that vibe.”

Razor followed her talon and nodded. “They’re known as “Frozen Fangs”. They live in the far north area of the Sea of Legends, a harsh winter wasteland sort of like where the Crystal Empire stands. These hardened individuals come down to Imperator’s Grave in their metal-plated longships to trade, bringing with them tons of meat, furs and weapons from their home. Some of the inhabitants here on Imperator’s Grave are of Frozen Fang descent and you can find their longships built into the architecture of the place. Due to the harshness of their home their numbers remain on the lower end, but each one is a hardened survivor and believe it or not; one of the few creatures that even the worst of slavers avoid at all costs.”

Soon they left the Maw, and reached a building built from the rear half of what she'd been told was once a ship known as a Juggernaut - basically a Ship-of-the-Line taken up to eleven, and the massive skull of some kind of Leviathan.

"Now, I have some work that needs to be taken care of," Razor said. "Might be too boring for you."

Night Fire chuckled. "New place and new people? The last thing I could possibly be is bored."

Razor chuckled. "All the same..." he noticed a shark pony in the distance - ironically, the one that had freed Star from her icy prison. "Deep Fang!"

The shark pony galloped over. "Yes sir?"

"Watch over the lass here," Razor said. "Show her the other wonders this place has to offer."

Deep Fang saluted, and with another nod exchanged between the princess and the archduke, Razor left to his own business, while Night Fire turned expectantly to Deep Fang."

"So what else is here, Mr. Fang?" She asked the Shark Pony as he lowered himself into the medium-sized floor pool in front of them.

"Well first, you can just call me Deep, as for why we're here; we wanted to show you something special. Take and hold a deep breath, then follow me under."

Tilting her head in intrigue, Night sucked in a breath, her cheeks puffing out like a squirrel. Taking a running start, she did a backflip into the water, following him into the depths. There wasn't much to note at first; except for several strange creatures she'd never seen or read of before: They resembled long and very thin jellyfish-like creatures without any tentacles and were white in color with a brown stripe at one end. As Night watched one came toward her and before her eyes opened up like an umbrella. She nearly flared her wings and tried to swim backward, but felt a hoof on her back and looked to see Deep giving her a reassuring smile.

"It's okay, it won't hurt you."

Trusting him Night Fire let the creature close around her head, and before her surprised eyes saw the water within drained out: she could breath like she was above water. In amazement she turned back to Deep, who had a large smile on his face.

"Surprised?"

"That’s one word for it,” Night Fire admitted, running her hooves over the creature’s transparent skin. “What is this, some sort of… magic bubble creature?”

"Well Night," Deep explained. "What you have there is a creature called a "Diver Bag": Diver Bags feed off of carbon dioxide though they can still draw in oxygen through gills on the brown band if none of the former is available. If a creature was to enter the water and let a Diver Bag come to them, it would expand and move over the head like a helmet, latching onto the neck. Diver Bags do not harm their "host," however, rather they drain water from "inside" the formerly white now transparent "bubble" and out through the gills. Once the Diver Bag is over the creature's neck they would find that they could now breath underwater as you're experiencing now, the Diver Bag draws in oxygen like before which is then pumped into the bubble allowing the host to breath, while the Diver Bag get its food from the carbon dioxide when the host exhales."

“Cooperative symbiosis,” Night realized in glee. “That’s so cool!”

"Exactly. Diver Bags are essentially living re-breathers and as long as the host wears one they can stay underwater for as long as they want. They can't go too deep though. To remove a Diver Bag the host simply grabs hold of the brown band and gently pulls; the Diver Bag releases its grip and the host takes it off and puts it back in the water."

Night felt the Diver Bag's skin again, chuckling in awestruck glee before she began to swim, following Deep as he led her through a short tunnel and onto a platform that overlooked a very large chamber that Night Fire was sure could easily fit the Castle of the Two Sisters several times over in all four directions.

A sudden heavy thump behind her caught her attention and she flipped upside down to see more. Her eyes widened and jaw dropped open in awe; a massive Leviathan rose up with a pair of huge four-fingered hands attached to thick arms, resting on the platform. It's six eyes glowed a soft light blue as it looked at Night Fire, it's body was covered in what looked like gems of red, green, blue, and other colors in various patterns all over its body.

Night Fire then heard - or more like felt - something in her head. It held the power of a raging storm, yet it was as gentle as a light spring shower. The edges of her vision became distorted while a distorted picture of the Leviathan's face appeared in the middle. A voice - female, and motherly at that - whispered through her mind.

"Welcome little one. This is your first day here. I hope you will enjoy your time here."

With that the Leviathan moved from the platform and swam away as Deep came up next to Night Fire, who slowly circled right side up again as she watched the Leviathan swim away.

"That's a Gem Leviathan, Night Fire, largest of the creatures found around Imperator's Grave. These beautiful Leviathan-Class creatures are the offspring of Edelsteine, the mother of all Gem Leviathans."

He led her over the edge of the Platform, where Night Fire saw several groups of other creatures.

The other creatures seemed to be playing with what could only be babies of the Gem Leviathan, some of which noticed Night Fire and swam towards her, chirping excited sounds as they came up. The group of nine stayed for a second, then one gently and playfully bumped its head against her chest before swimming just out of reach.

Night Fire knew what it wanted; the babies wanted her to play with them, which she was quite happy to do. Briefly, she paused, remembering when playing with younger foals had gotten her in trouble with the nobles. But when she glanced at Deep, he nodded with a reassuring smile.

“It’s okay,” he said. “Go on.”

Grinning hopefully, Night Fire pumped her wings and chased after the baby Leviathans. A laugh of delight slipped from her lips as she swam and played with the babies, for once able to have the time of her life. Deep watched with a happy smile of his own as he stroked the head of an older baby.

'This is so much better than Equestria,' Night thought with glee. 'I don't think anything can spoil this for me!'

####

The ports of the North Trade Union were not a safe place for lonely folks. The earth pony Beast Buster sat at the port, always on the lookout for potential slaves to break in. His favorites were always girls; especially warrior girls. Even on it’s own, there was a certain thrill to breaking a proud and haughty warrior girl and making her into a pleasure slave who was only good for satisfying her master. But for Buster, he had a personal investment in breaking their self-righteous minds.

Several years ago, his brother, Beast Breaker, had captured a beautiful white diamond dog. A dog capable of a strange magic that had earned Breaker a fortune in the fighting pits. Unfortunately, the blasted Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle, had gotten involved, and in the chaos, Breaker’s pet broke free and killed him.

It still made Buster furious to think of; every time he heard of that slave - Shiva, she was apparently called - cozying up to Celestia and Twilight, and spreading their childish message of friendship and love.

One day, he vowed, one day, he would get Shiva. And he wouldn’t just kill her for what she did to his brother. No, death was too good for the she-dog. He would see her on her back before him, her eyes shining with the broken light of a slave that had accepted their role in life. She would be his personal pleasure slave. He would show her just how superior stallions were to whatever dog she had given herself to in order to have those brats that were apparently following her around. And he would make sure she knew that she was back under the command of one of the Beast clan. After all, that was where women really belonged; and it was beyond time Shiva remembered her place.

Hence, when a yellow dragoness touched down on the docks and made her way into port, Beast Buster couldn't help but shiver in delight at the sight of fresh meat. This particular dragon had very toned flanks, and she didn't even wear clothes! She would be the perfect substitute for Shiva until he could get the diamond dog.

The dragoness noticed him. He grinned in challenge; daring her to do something. After all, this was his territory. She had walked into the lion's den; and soon enough, she'd learn her place.

The dragoness smiled, before turning, letting him get a better look at her backside. Unfortunately, he was so distracted by her plump calves and supple legs... that he missed the ball of fire bouncing on her tail.

There was a sudden flash of light. A searing pain tore through his eyes. Beast Buster wailed in agony as the fire ball smashed into his face, the fire blinding him.

He nearly tumbled into the water, desperate for the liquid's cooling sensation. Unfortunately, a red-hot talon seized his hind leg and hoisted him back up, denying him relief and instead bringing further pain as his leg was set on fire. The pain only got worse as another talon clamped around his muzzle, silencing his cries to a muffled moan.

"Mouth shut, ears open," a voice that could only belong to the dragon hissed in his ear.

Beast Buster gagged, clutching at her talon, only to burn his own hooves. However, he went still as her voice continued, slithering through his ear and around his brain like a fiery snake.

"Bet you thought I was a beauty, yeah?" she growled. "A fine last sight for your perverted eyes. Well listen close, chief, because I'm about to tell you about someone even prettier."

"Mmph?" Beast Buster whimpered, the pain dulling by a fraction.

"Picture it," the dragon continued. "A young alicorn filly. Fresh and innocent, like a little deer fawn. Fur black as the night, and eyes electric green. Wings that look like portals into the very depths of space." She licked his ear. "Enticing, isn't it?"

"Mm-mm... mph?" Beast Buster mumbled, trying to convey that she sounded... familiar.

"That's right," the dragoness whispered. "Princess Star Wing has been found. She's closer than you think, you know? The newest pet of Archduke Razor Tail."

Despite being upside down, Beast Buster's heart dropped into his gut. 'Razor Tail?' he thought with horror. 'But... Star Wing is a natural born alicorn! One of the very first! How did Razor Tail get her before us?!’

Unfortunately, the dragoness still had his muzzle muffled, and she didn't seem interested in sharing more.

"Have fun with that," she hissed, before dropping him into the waves.

The water did nothing to quell the burning sensation of her touch. And even as Beast Buster felt other ponies come to aid him, he could tell from their voices that the dragoness was gone. Vanished back over the sea like she had never shown up to begin with.