• Published 5th Feb 2022
  • 3,156 Views, 61 Comments

My past does not define me - General Alduin



How the mighty have fallen. Sunset Shimmer, once the queen bee of CHS, has been dethroned in one night. How is she going to cope from being the most feared girl in school, to most reviled?

  • ...
5
 61
 3,156

The fashionista and the sun

There was a long, painful silence between the three girls, each waiting for the other to start talking.

“... What are you wearing?” Rarity asked, breaking the deadlock.

“Uh, my clothes?” Sunset answered confused.

“Without your leather jacket?” Rarity walked over and lifted Sunset's arm. “I don’t usually like leather jackets, but yours really tied your look together darling.”

“Uh…” Sunset awkwardly let Rarity study her.

“That’s actually why we’re here.” Fluttershy interrupted, gaining Rarity’s attention. “Her jacket was ruined after last night so we’re here to get her another one.”

“Oh!” Rarity stopped studying Sunset and looked to Fluttershy. “Well, you certainly came to the right place! I think I saw a jacket that was either the same kind or very close to it, I’ll go and get it for you.”

Sunset watched as Rarity began walking away, her eyes darting back and forth as she mustered the courage to speak up. “A-actually Rarity… uh, I was thinking of wearing a different leather jacket from now on.” Everyone turned to Sunset. “And maybe a new style? I-if it isn’t any trouble.”

Rarity and Fluttershy looked at each other for a few seconds. “Any particular reason?”

“I… I’m trying to turn over a new leaf, be a better person now, I want… I need people to know I’m a better person, and I can’t do that if I can’t even reinvent my style. People will see me and just see the old Sunset.” Sunset shrugged. “So, getting a new wardrobe seems like the logical first step.”

Fluttershy and Rarity exchanged looks, Rarity smiling before looking back to Sunset. “Why, of course darling! I’d be more than happy to help. How about you look over the leather jackets and pick one out? I may be a fashion connoisseur, but I will admit I’m not well versed in leather jackets. At least, not as much as you I would imagine.”

Sunset seemed surprised that Rarity agreed so readily, looking at Fluttershy. Fluttershy smiled and gestured for her to go, Sunset giving a shy nod and walked further into the store.

Rarity walked over to Fluttershy and grabbed her arm. “Come on, you should help to. You know her better than I do after all.”

Fluttershy didn’t resist and allowed Rarity to guide her to the opposite side of the store, both girls looking over various articles of clothing and trying to decide what might be considered friendly yet something Sunset might like. Fluttershy knew Rarity had an ulterior motive to inviting her here alone, away from Sunset, and so prepared herself for when Rarity finally did start talking.

“You’re certain we can trust her?”

“I am. If you’re not so sure then why are you helping?”

“Because I promised Twilight.” Rarity turned around to face Fluttershy. “I’m giving Sunset the benefit of a doubt. I’m willing to ignore everything she’s done and try to be friends with her, unless she goes back to who she was. I don’t want either of us to be hurt if it turns out she hasn’t changed.” She looks away. “Trying to change her look and perception of herself is a start, but she could be trying to cover her (excuse my language) ass in the inevitable fallout.”

“Sounds like you’re not so sure about her.”

“I’m not, but I believe in second chances. I’ll be her friend until she gives me reason not to. It’d be unladylike if I rejected her when she’s being friendly and hasn’t done anything deserving of my scorn.” There was a small lull in the conversation. “I still would like an apology for last Spring Fling.”

“And she’ll give it to you, but she’s still recovering from last night. Give it time.” Fluttershy flashed Rarity a reassuring smile. “You don’t have to worry about Sunset. She’s really changed Rarity, it’s like she’s a whole new person now. The girl that was thrown in the bottom of that crater isn’t the same as the girl that crawled out. You can trust her Rarity, I promise.”

Rarity said nothing for a long time, finally nodding. “Alright, I will. If you’re so sure about it, I’ll trust her. Perhaps I could even… hang out with her after work?”

“What’s to stop you from hanging out with her now?” Fluttershy smiled brightly. “She looks overwhelmed with the choices, isn’t it your job to help a customer?”

Rarity looked to Sunset and found that she did look rather lost while studying the leather jackets. “I guess it is.” She gave a snort of amusement before turning and walking towards Sunset.


Maybe she didn’t need a leather jacket. Leather jackets were only worn by cool delinquents right? Or in her case, narcissistic bullies. People that challenged authority, rebels without a cause.

None of these leather jackets looked ‘friendly’ to her. Plus, people would associate leather jackets with the old her, she was the only person that wore one at school.

Maybe she should dress like Fluttershy, people liked Fluttershy. But she didn’t like Fluttershys style, not that it was bad or anything, but it was way too... cute? Feminine? Animal lover?

Perhaps she could dress like Derpy? People liked Derpy and she wasn’t cutesy like Fluttershy.

But she also wears socks with sandals and a tie…’ Sunset grimaced, it didn’t feel like her either. Well, it’s not like she had to wear socks and sandals or a tie, but that would defeat the whole purpose.

Perhaps a more girly look would suffice? But how girly? She wasn’t like Gilda who defied conventional understanding of female fashion, nor was she cutesy like Fluttershy or whatever Derpy had going on.

What even was her fashion anyway? It wasn't a straight biker chick or bad girl look, but it wasn’t exactly the most typical fashion for women... was it?

Was there a middle ground for her old look and looking frien-

“Is there anything you need help with darling?” Sunset yelped and jumped back when Rarity spoke. Rarity herself looked shocked, the two girls staring each other for a few seconds. “I apologize, I didn’t realize you were so… engrossed in our product.”

“It’s not that.” Sunset huffed, looking back to the slather jackets. She really needed to stop freaking out when people talked to her. “None of these really seem like they’d be friendly. I know that’s not really what they’re for, but… you know.” Sunset cleared her throat. “I want to reinvent myself in a way that feels like… me. I could dress all girly and cutesy but it won’t be a fashion I would like wearing. I know that doesn’t make any sense.”

“Why of course it does darling! I understand perfectly.” Rarity began looking through the Esther jackets. “You want to be different to convey you’re a new person but also want to be proud of the wardrobe you have. That’s what fashion is: expressing yourself in a way you’re proud of.”

Sunset stared at Rarity with wide eyes. “I Uh… I never thought of it like that.”

“No one does until they engross themselves in the world of fashion like I have, it's my job to know these things.” She picks out a leather jacket and holds it up. “Now, you want to seem friendlier and convey you’re a new person, so softer colors might be what you’re looking for. That’s harder to do with black leather, but this might be a good match.”

Sunset took it from Rarity’s hand and looked it over: it was a leather jacket smaller then her previous one, with folded sleeves, an actual zipper, pockets that’d be just enough to hold her phone in, and orange stripes on the sleeves.

She had to admit, it’d totally be something she’d wear while conveying she’s different now. Not nearly enough, but it’s a start. “This is… actually really nice. Thanks Rarity.” She said with a somewhat strained smile.

She recoiled slightly when Rarity gasped. “I just remembered!” Sunset was about to question what it was Rarity remembered, but she was grabbed by the girl and forced further into the store. They stopped at a shoe rack where Rarity scrambled around, finally pulling out to black high heeled boots with an orange stripe. “Serendipity! I believe these are from the same collection. They go perfectly with your jacket darling!”

Sunset's eyes widened when she saw them. They definitely matched and looked… cute? Sunset had never considered herself a lover of shoes, but these might be the exception. She took them from Rarity and looked them over. “These are very nice, but I’m not sure if it’s enough to change my style. It’s still the same as my last look.”

“Not with this.” Sunset looked behind herself to find Fluttershy holding up a aqua blue blouse with a transparent yellow skirt. “I thought it looked friendly and it’s different from your old shirt.” Her smile dropped. “Or is it too girly?”

“No!” Sunset said excitedly. “This is perfect! It shows I’m different and it’s something I’d wear!” Fluttershy eeped when Sunset brought her into a hug. “Thank you so much Flutters!”

Fluttershy looked surprised at her nickname, giving Rarity a glance that said ‘told you so’. Rarity held up her hands in defeat, conceding Fluttershy's point. “Well, I think the next logical step is finding you something for down below, if you catch my meaning.”

“Oh, I have some pants at home I can wear. I’ll just wear those.” She let go of Fluttershy and let go of Rarity. “I promise they'll be up to your standards.”

“They better, otherwise you won’t hear the end of it from me.” Rarity said half jokingly. “I can ring you up if you’re ready, we’ll wait for Fluttershy to get you some more shirts.”

Sunset nodded and followed after Rarity, Fluttershy separating from the group to find more shirts.

When all was said and done, the total came out to $33.84 dollars. Sunset reached for her bag to pay, only to remember she had left it back home. Everyone stood around awkwardly for a moment, until Fluttershy (who had bagged Sunsets order) realized what the problem was. She walked over and took out her card.

“What? Fluttershy, I can’t let you-”

“You can pay me back.” Fluttershy interrupted with a smile. “Just let me pay for now and you can pay me back when you have your bag.”

Sunset looked reluctant but conceded, letting Fluttershy pay for her. “You sure it isn’t too expensive?”

“Why of course not, it’s only thirty three dollars. Would’ve been worse if Rarity didn’t apply her employees discount to the order.”

“She did?” Sunset looked even more guilty at that, looking at Rarity as Fluttershy picked up Sunset's order and began walking to the exit.

“Of course! Anything for my friends.” Rarity said with a grin.

Sunset didn’t respond, just staring at Rarity as she argued with herself internally. “Rarity, about the last Spring Fling-”

“Hush.” Rarity said sternly, a frown etched on her face as she held up her hand. “We needn’t talk about it right now darling.” Rarity declared, lowering her hand and giving a small smile. “I’m sure you’re desperate to make amends, but from what I hear you’re still recovering from last night. I do expect an apology in the future, but let’s wait till you’re in a better place, ok?”

Sunset said nothing, her eyes going back and forth between Rarity and the counter. Finally she nodded in agreement. “Yeah, that… that sounds good.” She began walking. “Uh, thanks for the help… and the discount. I’ll Uh… see you at school?”

“Why, I’m free tomorrow darling! I’ll see you and Fluttershy then.” She waved the two girls off as they left the store. “Come back again you two!”

Sunset sheepishly waved back and left with Fluttershy and for the first time since last night, she actually felt good.

Even… hopeful.

Author's Note:

Hello once again audience!

So, a bit of a slower chapter, trying to justify Sunsets second design in the series and build up some chemistry between Sunset and Rarity.

I did initially envision that Rarity was cold towards Sunset and Flutters had to encourage her to make an effort, trying to stand up for Sunset.
But that didn’t seem as strong or interesting as Rarity, if somewhat cautiously, accepting Sunset and helping her.
It also ties into her characterization of being generous, giving Sunset a second chance

Shout out to AngelaCA for evolving the plot and inspiring the first line Rarity spoke. That line alone, I think, helped make this chapter much more interesting and character driven to read.

I know that Sunset kept the same design from EG to RR, but I like Sunsets redesign better and I feel she’d want to reinvent herself because she’s a new person now.

I also liked the idea of having Susnet call Fluttershy Fluttes, seems like a natural progression of their relationship.

I also was going to have them try out some pants and maybe have Rarity measuring Sunset and finding out about her scars, but I scrapped those scenes as I felt this was already too long.

I also liked how I ended it. I was going to end it on a more somber note, but giving Sunset a win after the last few chapters seems needed.

Anyway, thanks for reading my fic!

Comments ( 4 )

Hmm... So Sunset will start wearing her redesigned outfit from the Friendship Games? Interesting idea. :pinkiesmile:

And good call on Rarity starting to act cautiously accepting Sunset instead of coldly. As you said, it reflects her characterization of being generous. :eeyup:

So far, at least Fluttershy and Rarity are willing to be friends with Sunset. :pinkiesmile: Now we'll see how Sunset managed her new start at school... oh boy. :unsuresweetie:

Good chapter! :pinkiesmile:

“Without your leather jacket?” Rarity walked over and lifted Sunset's arm. “I don’t usually like leather jackets, but yours really tied your look together darling.”

wait


does Sunset really not know she was wearing animal skin?

More Please consider continuing this is pretty interesting to read 🙏🥰

Great story. Looking to reading more. Added to read list. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment