• Published 5th Feb 2022
  • 3,219 Views, 61 Comments

My past does not define me - General Alduin



How the mighty have fallen. Sunset Shimmer, once the queen bee of CHS, has been dethroned in one night. How is she going to cope from being the most feared girl in school, to most reviled?

  • ...
5
 61
 3,219

The vegetarian commonality

“Sunset.” Sunset stirred as she was gently shook awake. Her nose sniffed the air, picking up a delectable scent. “Sunseeettt.” Her eyes began fluttering open, finding Fluttershy standing over her with a plate of food. “Wakey wakey eggs and bakey!”

“Uh, what?” Sunset groaned tiredly as she sat up, groggily looking up at Fluttershy.

“Breakfast.” Fluttershy held out a plate for Sunset. “I would’ve used one of those little bed trays that only see use for Mother’s Day, but that doesn’t seem like your speed.”

Sunset grunted something that sounded like an agreement. “Those things are totally useless, I don't even know who’d enjoy breakfast in bed. What if you spill something?” Sunset winced as she maneuvered her legs over the side and grabbed a plate from Fluttershy. There she found eggs, bacon, two pancakes, and a few strawberries. She ignored her body protesting her every movement as she began to eat. “You make this?”

“No, it was my dad.” She sat down next to Sunset. “I figured you’d like to stay away from an awkward breakfast down stairs.”

“You seem to know everything about me already.” Sunset mused. She looked over to Fluttershy plate and found it didn’t have any bacon. “You already eat your bacon or something?”

“Oh! I’m sorry, did you want extra? I know people really like bacon, I really should’ve asked if you wanted more-”

“I don’t eat meat.” Sunset interrupted before Fluttershy could descend into an apology filled rant. “I’m vegetarian.” A very awkward silence fell between the two, Sunset peaking to Fluttershy and finding she was staring right at her with wide eyes. “What?”

“You’re… you’re vegetarian?”

“Uh… yeah.” She jumped lightly when Fluttershy placed a hand to her mouth and squeed.

“I’ve never had a vegetarian friend before!” Fluttershy said excitedly. “I thought you were an omnivore like everyone else! You know how hard it is to be the only vegetarian of my friends? I went to AJs place once for a party one day, and they were serving nothing but meat. Nothing but meat! Even my family eats meat!”

“What about Tree Hugger? Aren’t you friends with her?”

“She’s vegan, and a very Judgey one at that. I ordered something with egg once and she wouldn’t let it go for over a week.” Fluttershy huffed. “You Judge people for what they eat?”

“I could care less, it’s just how I was raised.” Another awkward silence. “Yes?”

“I, well, we didn’t exactly get a full explanation from Twilight, didn’t have time to. I know she’s a pony princess and the crown was hers, but that’s about it. Last night you told me you had a Celestia back home.” Fluttershy tilted her head. “What did you mean by that? I just need a bit more context.”

Sunset was quiet for a moment, setting her fork down and looking at Fluttershy. “I come from the same place as Twilight, a kingdom called Equestria, and back home I’m a Unicorn, so obviously I didn’t eat a lot of meat.” Sunset shrugged lightly. “It seems that our worlds share counterparts. For example, back home Celestia is an immortal Alicorn who raises the sun and moon that rules over Equestria.”

“So this Equestria… is it basically King of the Rings?”

“Um, no? I don’t know much about King of the Rings. Though, I guess back home would qualify as fantasy. No Dwarves or Elves or anything, though maybe Diamond Dogs and Deer might count…” Sunset mused lightly to herself for a few seconds, eventually realizing Fluttershy was still staring at her. “Anyway, the crown I stole was an Element of Harmony, which were powerful artifacts that disappeared a long time ago. Twilight must’ve found them and they turned her into an Alicorn.”

“How do you know she wasn’t an Alicorn to begin with?”

“Trust me, we’d know. There were only two Alicorns when I left: Celestia and Cadence. Cadence was transformed into an Alicorn after some sort of… love quest or something. I don’t know, I always suspected she was a slut, I never bothered to find out how she became an Alicorn. While Celestia was born an Alicorn.” She looked back to her food. “Being an Alicorn is a big deal, and Twilight definitely wasn’t one of them. I saw her a few times at Celestias School for gifted Unicorns, and she was definitely just a Unicorn.”

“You went to school together?”

“No. Well, kind of. I was Celestia's pupil by the time Twilight got enrolled, something about hatching a dragon. I don’t know, I was too busy watching a Sonic Rainboom that day. I used to see her when I did errands or some kind of project for the school. We never really said anything to eachother or anything.” Sunset picked at her food. “No idea how she managed to find the Elements. I didn’t even think they existed.”

“Well that’s… certainly interesting.” Fluttershy looked off into the distance, mulling over Sunset's words. “Well, I think that’s enough explanations for today. I’d love to learn more, but I don’t want to overwhelm you.” Fluttershy got up and walked to her closet. “Now, I know for a fact you won’t like my fashion, so how about we drive over to your place and you get a change of clothes?”

“Is this just an excuse for you to see if I’m homeless?”

“A little, but unless you want to wear frilly skirts, sweaters with animals on them, and this cute little thing-” Fluttershy held out a blue dress. “-We should go get you a change of clothes.” Fluttershy put the dress back. “You got a key?”

“Left it in my bag which I left at school. I hid a spare key around my apartment.”

You what!?”” Sunset jumped at Fluttershy outburst. “Sunset! You’re a young woman living all alone! What if some robber broke in using your key!?”

“Fluttershy! Relax, I hid it in a place they’d never find.” Sunset crossed her arms. “For the record, I’m not that helpless.”

“That’s still way too risky, I’d never tempt fate like that.” Fluttershy shivered lightly, no doubt thinking of the worst possible scenario. “Perhaps not, but there’s not much you can do while asleep.”

“I guess you’re right.” Sunset half heartedly admitted, standing up. “I’m going to have to get a new leather jacket, I only had one.”

Fluttershy lit up. “Oh! I have a great idea!” She ran to Sunset and grabbed her hand. “What if we went to Carousel Boutique to get you a new one? I think Rarity works today.”

“R-Rarity?” Sunset seized up. “A-are you sure that’s a good idea? I mean, so soon after what happened?”

“And you think Monday won’t be too soon?” Sunset opened her mouth to speak but closed it, silently admitting Fluttershy had a point. “Look, we’re supposed to take care of you now, and it isn’t going to help if you put off meeting up with all of them.” Fluttershy smiled. “I can reign Rarity in if she gets hostile. I promise.”

Sunset relaxed, finding Fluttershy smile and reassurance oddly comforting. “Well… alright. I did rather like having a leather jacket.”

“Great!” Fluttershy smile grew wider and she began dragging Sunset to the car. “Now come on! I want to see if you’re lying about being homeless or not!”

Sunset awkwardly tried keeping up with Fluttershy as she dragged her down the stairs, past her family’s confused faces, and out the door.


“Stop.” Sunset commanded as they came upon her house. “This is it, find a parking space.”

“What?”

“It doesn’t have a driveway, just find a parallel space, there should be a few over there.”

Fluttershy shrugged and did as she was told. The two got out when she finally parked and made their way to Sunset's home. “This is your home right?”

“I am not homeless!” Sunset said with some exasperation, going over to the bush and digging up a specific spot. “See?” She said holding out a key.

“... There wasn’t nearly enough security measures for that.”

“I’ll put some slabs of concrete over it, will that be enough?”

“Well now you’re just bringing attention to it.”

“What will make you happy with me having a spare key?”

“Having it not outside where some serial killer can find it.”

“I like to live dangerously.” Sunset said half jokingly as she went to her door. “Now, I think this should put to rest any concerns about my state of living.” She said as she unlocked the door and opened it.

Fluttershy filed in and took a look around, humming in surprise. “This is actually… kinda nice.”

“See? Not an abandoned factory or a cardboard box.” Sunset closed the door and went to her closet (in reality just a filing cabinet) and found a change of clothes. “You can look around if you want. Just have to change and brush my teeth.”

Fluttershy nodded and idly looked at everything, stopping at Sunsets tv to find she had a Play System, a Play System 2, a Play System 3, a Play System 4, an Mbox 360, an Mbox 1, a Wee, A Wee U, a Ninvento Switch, and about a million games from their respective consoles scattered about. “I see you like video games.”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. Just kinda got into them.” Sunset responded from the bathroom, her voice muffled from brushing her teeth. “You can turn the tv on while you wait.”

Fluttershy was tempted, but knew they wouldn’t be there for much longer so just idly studied some of Sunsets games. “So, why do you like this stuff so much anyway?”

“Oh uh… I dunno.” Sunset answered half heartedly. “I just like them. See? I had hobbies, bullying wasn’t my entire life.”

Fluttershy nodded and looked around a bit more, finding three journals titled Schemes, Dossier, and Blackmail. She looked over when she heard a harsh gasp, seeing Sunset whincing in embarrassment. “Probably not a good look right after I said bullying wasn’t my entire life.”

“Uh…” an awkward silence fell between them. “Well uh… at least you’re organized.” She placed the journals down. “Now come on, you look... incomplete without your leather jacket.”

“I feel incomplete too.” Sunset said as she rubbed her bare shoulders, following after Fluttershy. “I almost always wore that thing. I thought it went really well with my style.”

“The bad girl style?”

“I guess, I thought I was more biker chick. Though, I probably acted more bad girl.” Sunset said with some regret as she filed into Fluttershy's car. “Still, better than butterfly pajamas.”

“Even I would think that’d be weird to wear out in public.” Fluttershy said with a smile before she took off and made her way to Carousel Boutique. When they arrived and parked the car, Sunset got out and looked at the building nervously. “Nervous?”

“I guess.” Sunset looked to Fluttershy. “You don’t have to say anything, it’ll just get repetitive for you if you keep saying to give people time, they’ll come around, and you’re here for me.”

“I don’t mind being repetitive. I’ll do anything if it makes you feel better.”

“Uh, thanks, but I’m a big girl. I don’t always need a… friend to psyche me up every time I’m nervous.” Sunset cleared her throat, the word friend sounding foreign to her.

“If that’s what you want.” Fluttershy smiled and gently took Sunset by the hand. “Now come on, Rarity should be in by now.”

Sunset nodded and let Fluttershy lead her, knowing she’d be too cowardly and turn tail before walking in. Her heart skip a beat when they opened the door and immediately found Rarity in her uniform.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique! Where everything’s chic, unique, and magnifi-” Rarity stopped and her smile dropped immediately when she saw the two of them. “Sunset… Shimmer.”

Sunset awkwardly smiled and waved pathetically. “Uh… hi?”

Author's Note:

And back with another chapter!

Do those little bed tray for food ever see any work except for mother’s day?

Also, I think it makes sense that Flutters didn’t know Sunset was vegetarian, it’s not like that would’ve come up between the two of them. Also, while there’s no real evidence that either of them are vegetarians, it seems pretty likely.

Also, I know what you’re thinking: ‘But Alduin! The Lement If Magic didn’t make Twilight isn’t an Alicorn!’
And you’re right, but how would Sunset know that? She’s been gone for a while (in this continuity it’s been 7.5 years in Equestria) and with what little she could learn in such a small amount of time, it makes sense she’d jump to conclusions regarding the elements of Harmony and Twilights sudden Alicornhood.

Also, I’m not entirely sure how Cadence became an Alicorn, but I remember hearing something about saving love from a villain, idk, I don’t read the comics.

I’m also pretty sure Flutters would be the type to be horrified by someone leaving a key outside.
Kinda like me, I’m a paranoid person.
What if some robber finds it? Sure they could break in, but I don’t want to make it easier for them.

And yes’m Sunsets brushing her teeth after having breakfast.
Give the poor girl a break, she’s been through a lot last night.

Anyway thanks for reading my fic!