• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 804 Views, 10 Comments

To Walk Again - Cxcd



An ex-engineer of King Sombra is forced to adapt to modern-life, while being tormented with her former memories of a past gone-by.

  • ...
5
 10
 804

09 - Dinner with Gods

[Ponyville, 5/14/3210, Two Sister’s Reunion]


It was getting dark. I had shaken off the feeling of overwhelming tiredness as I walked, rolled, and hobbled over to the Library. The first pony I’d show would be Twilight. She would be happy.

I approached the door. Crap, I can’t knock. How I wish I was born a unicorn. Screw it, I’ll just use my head.


*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*


“We’re closed for tonight, thank you!”


*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*


“I said we’re closed!”


*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*


“For sweet Celestia- WHAT.” She threw open the door with her magic, revealing myself to her. I stood there, slightly dazed and confused from the lack of sleep and the head-pounding. She immediately took a step back, and studied my wagon closely. “Oh my god! Rusty!” She looked positively impressed. “This is awesome! Come in!”

“I was getting a bit of a headache out there, thanks.” I hobbled in, the wheels dragging behind me. “Do you like it?”

“Of course I do! You did all this? Is that why you dropped by Rarity’s?”

“Yeah! I had to go over the design.”

“Design?”

“Of course. This is a prototype to help me with the final version.” I looked at Twilight. I saw a friend in her. She looked happy to see me. When was the last time anypony was happy to see me? “You wouldn’t mind if I spent the night here still?”

“Rusty, of course I don’t mind! Just because you can walk again doesn't mean I’m going to kick you out! Silly.” She used her hoof to give me a shove. We laughed for a moment. “Wait. How are you going to go up the stairs?”

“Trial and error. The final version has grippier wheels.”

“But of course! If you need any help with anything, just ask. Also, Spike is cooking dinner. You still look… thin. You should eat.”

“I would love to, Twi.” That was the first time I had used her nickname. Would she accept it?

“Then follow me!” She hadn’t even given it a second thought.


[The Crystal Empire, 4/22/2204, Celestia's Solo Reign]


“No, I don’t want to eat!” I said, shoving the servant away. “Go tell whoever made that food to shove it up their anus!” I slammed the door. For the past few days, my mind was going a million miles a minute. I had tried working on something to get my mind off of it. Pegasus wings for non-pegasus. Of course it didn’t work, don’t bother asking. Unicorns and Earth-ponies are too heavy. Of course they are. Pegasus have lighter bones to allow them to fly, hence why they are so much more injury proned. Earth-ponies have the opposite, heavy bones. I was of course an earth-pony, so I was much worse off. I could get a Unicorn to try it on, but I don’t feel like talking to anypony.

Maybe I was too heavy. Could that be it? Maybe I’m just fat. I stare at my reflection through the window. Maybe I should starve myself? Then I’ll feel better. Great. For the next few months, I will refuse to eat unless I’m dying.

Buck it, I’m hungry now. I’ll eat something. Why did that stupid servant leave me? I want my food, dammit!

Was King Sombra somepony to trust? He seemed trustworthy. He was willing to go to war for my return. Was that because he wanted me? Or because I’m a pawn in his silly game. Before, I wanted to watch heads roll. Now?

I was confused. I slinked down onto a sofa I had moved out of the way. Dammit, why am I so confused? Celestia had shown me so much respect I never knew a pony could take. I want more of it. I want more.

There was always the issue of Herb. She promised me Herb. I would go back just for herb. But I know she’s lying. She only wants me to stay so I can develop weapons. Even though they say Equestria doesn't harm unless absolutely necessary, I don’t believe them. They had been so willing to fire upon my machines. My beautiful, baby machines. I’m hungry still. Where the buck is my food? Oh, right. I forgot to call them. Not my fault!


“I’m sorry chef, but she doesn’t want to eat right now. She actually told me to tell you that-” Before she could finish the thought, the radio on the wall crackled back to life.

“I want my BUCKING food! Get your ass back up here!”

“Oop- never mind then.”


Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to leave that day. When did she say? Sometime around three? I could make up an excuse. As long as I was confident they weren’t following. Celestia seemed pretty urgent in telling me to leave that day. What was up with that?

I just want to sleep. No wait! I want to eat. I keep forgetting. Wait. If I keep forgetting to eat, does that mean I’m even hungry?

“Your food, mada-”

“I don’t WaNT fOoD RIGHT NOW!”


[Canterlot, 4/22/2204, Celestia's Solo Reign]


The immense dining here was nothing to turn a nose up at. For the past week, he’d been dining with Celestia. She seemed more than happy to have company. It was like she wanted nothing more in life than to freely talk about her day doings.

She was in the middle of complaining of nobles. He was listening of course, but still had a twinge of worry. What was Rusty currently doing? Suddenly, the topic changed to something he really, really wanted to hear.

“The Wizards have been finalizing the spell we’ll use on The Empire.”

“What does that entail?” He had been picking up on way the Royals had been speaking, trying his hardest to not look or sound like a common pony. Maybe after all this blew over, they might be offered a place to live.

“Well, the amount of magic it takes to do something so… drastic is insane. We have to perfectly time the spell, hence why the date is so specific. 3:30 is the time we have decided to throw the spell. Any sooner, and longer, it might not work.”

“Very interesting. You mentioned Wizards… aren’t those just Unicorns?” He asked. Celestia laughed for a moment before regaining her composure.

“I can see why you’d think that. No, Wizards are ponies who specialize in advance magic. Things with runes, spell books, things like that.”

“Interesting. What kind of spells?”

“Well, besides sending an entire city a thousand years into the future… how would you like to be a mare for a day?” Celestia said with a raised eyebrow. Herb started choking on the piece of lettuce he was eating, gagging it up. Celestia started balling laughing as she watched the poor pony. Eventually he hacked it up.

“Y-you can do that?”

“Of course.” They sat in silence for a few moments.

“When?” They both started laughing again, this time without Herb choking to death. Celestia missed this kind of intimacy with her sister. This was partly why Herb was able to stay here for so long. He liked listening. Celestia could feel his soul, it was clean. Pure and incorruptible. If the Elements hadn’t already chosen ponies in the future, he might even be one.