• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 807 Views, 10 Comments

To Walk Again - Cxcd



An ex-engineer of King Sombra is forced to adapt to modern-life, while being tormented with her former memories of a past gone-by.

  • ...
5
 10
 807

08 - Fatigue

[Ponyville, 5/13/3210, Two Sister’s Reunion]


Half-asleep on the bathroom floor.

I can’t sleep. Not now. Not ever.

Every time I try- I see them again.

King Sombra, Herb, Celestia…

I don’t want to sleep.

If I close my eyes, I’ll just see them again.

I am so… tired…

So… so tired.


[Ponyville, 5/14/3210, Two Sister’s Reunion]


“Woah! You look- umm… lookin’ good, lookin’ good.” Twilight said, with a reassuring smile. Truth be told, Rusty looked worse than she did before getting out of the hospital. A new pair of bags under her eyes told Twilight all she needed to know.

“Thanks. I try.”

“Umh… night troubles?”

“Yea.”

“Is that why your on the bathroom floor?”

“Cold tiles feel nice.”

“Alright… did you crawl over here?”

“Yea.” She said. Twilight knew something had to change. Ever since her incident involving the clock a few days ago, she wondered if she’d been getting any sleep at all.

“I think you need to see Princess Luna.” Twilight stated bluntly. This caused Rusty to look up from her position on the ground, squinting slightly at her.

“Princess Luna was banished to the moon, remember?”

“She was banished for a thousand years. It’s been over a thousand years.”

“So she’s back?”

“Like she never left.”


[Manehattan, 4/13/2204, Celestia's Solo Reign]


He’s doing this because he loves her.

He’s doing this because he can’t live with her here.

He’s doing this-

“Mr. Gar Herb? Message from Canterlot. Must be pretty important.” A guard walked into the cafeteria. A few hoots and deep ‘ooo’s’ resonated from the prisoners.

“Who the hay is sending a message from Canterlot?” One of his friends ask.

“Dunno. Herb, you got family up there?”

“Nope. Not a clue.” He took the letter with his magic, and unfolded it. A few of his friends gathered across the table, looking on with a slightly morbid interest.

“Go on, read it.”

“Yeah, we’re dying.” But all they could get was an open mouth from Herb. He wasn’t even reading the paper, just looking at the bottom.

“What is it? Somethin’ wrong?”

Finally, he broke the silence. “Guys, it’s signed by Princess Celestia.”

Suddenly, the entire prison cafeteria went completely silent.

“Ok- I’m reading it now-


Dear Mr. Gar Herb

It is with my honor to announce you have been acquitted of all crimes, if you follow my demands, of course. I believe you’ve had an intimate relationship with one of The Crystal Empire’s engineers, Rusty Gear. This news may come as a shock, but ever since your lock-up for her crimes, she has gone ‘off the rails,’ to put it lightly.

She has the brains, and has developed super-weapons for The Crystal Empire, likes which we have never seen. I was able to briefly talk to her while she was in our captivity, and I do believe you were the pony keeping her tied to the ground, so to speak.

I humbly invite you to the Canterlot guard, for a discussion on how to ‘deal’ with Rusty Gear in the most non-violent way possible. I have already sent guards to escort you. Although I believe you to be no danger, its still within our best interest to keep you safe.


Signed, Princess Celestia.” He let go of the note with his magic, fluttering to the table below him. That was it. He had been acquitted of all crimes. He was a free stallion. The cafeteria suddenly erupted into celebration, chanting something about herb ‘going home’

Two tough stallions, wearing the usual Canterlot gold walked through secured doors at one end of the hall. Herb used his hoof to point to himself, mouthing the word ‘me?’ The two stallions only nodded their head.


[Ponyville, 5/14/3210, Two Sister’s Reunion]


The cart had been destroyed. Pieces of it laid across the ground. The group was currently at Sweet Apple Acres, peering over my shoulders. I knew they were waiting for me to do something smart, which I was, but how was I supposed to start? Well, for one, this prototype was only temporary until I found something better, two, start with the wheels.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders had provided me with all the tools I needed, including saws, hammer, nails, chicken wire, soft fabric, and whatever else I wrote on that list. They even got themselves ice cream from Sugar cube corner. I hear they’re really good. I should try it sometime. But not now. Now is the time for independence, and progress.

I bolted together the two wheels with a sort of rear axle. The construction was eerily similar to something else I’ve built before. But never mind that. From there, I constructed a sort of trainer-wheels behind the main construction, to stop it from falling over. From there, two beams went up with a piece of fabric inbetween to hold myself. The Crusaders even picked up some socks, which my legs would firmly slot into.

All of this work took about two minutes, which wasn’t a lot for me. But the crusaders just looked on with awe.

“H- Wha- I-” The orange pegasus named Scootaloo stuttered.

“What my friend here means to say is-” Sweetie belle tried talking, but was rudely interrupted.

“How the HAY do you do that so fast?” I turned backwards to look at the three, all of them with their mouths wide open.

“It’s my special talent. I’ve always worked like this.” I gloated.

“No fair!” Said Scootaloo. “I want a special talent like that!”

“Well, you just gotta keep trying, I guess.”

“But how did you get yours?”

“Umm. That’s not a story I’ve ever told. Especially because I can’t remember.”

“WHAT?” They all three said in unison.

“How could ya forget sumn’ that important?”

“It’s um- Princess Celestia said I might suffer from childhood tramua.”

“OH.” The three said in unison again.

“Why?” Questioned Sweetiebelle.

“Princess Celestia thinks because I lost my parents at such a young age, I didn’t turn out right mentally. Turns out, theres a lot more blank-spots in my memory than I thought.”

“You never had any parents?”

“Nope.”

“Sounds all too familiar.” Scootaloo said, which got everypony to turn and look towards her. “Whaat? I read a lot of sad books.”

“Alright, enough chit-chat, help me put this thing on.”


[Canterlot, 4/14/2204, Celestia's Solo Reign]


The train had come to a hault. Everypony less important walked out. Herb could only watch as he was treated like royalty, something much, much different than what he’d just experienced for the last year. Once the coast was clear, the guards, shoulder to shoulder, let him out of the plush train-car and into a side-exit, where nopony else was. There, through a few windy tunnels and dank alleyways, Herb and the guards arrived at the front-gates of the ginormous castle.

“Audience with Princess Celestia?”

“Apparently so.”

“Right this way, sire.” The fancy pony said. He was an off-white with a gray, slick mane and stubby mustache above his mouth. The guards left his side as he followed the suited pony.

Herb had never been in something this large before. The halls were large enough to comfortably accommodate an Ursa-minor. It was insane.

Of course, after a few stair-cases and humble bows to people he ‘thinks’ are important, they eventually came to a set of large doors. With one hoof, the servant knocked twice, paused, then once, and entered the chamber.

“Princess Celestia, may I introduce you to Mr. Gar Herb, of Manehattan.” The pony said, bowing and walking away as Herb stepped up. A slight silence fell over the room as he stared at the Alicorn. It was getting awkward.

“Do I bow, or-” He started. The Alicorn laughed slightly.

“That wouldn’t be necessary. Besides, you are more important than my regular audiences.” She said. Her voice, although powerful, soothed Herb slightly as he herd her speak.

“I saw the letter. I hope my marefriend isn’t causing too much trouble?”

“Mr. Herb, I would like you to tell me what you know about Rusty.”

“Oh- umm. Well, I wouldn’t say this unless it was this important, but…” He hesitated slightly. Was he really going to throw his marefriend under the bus like this? But after all, it was for her own good. Alright fine, he would tell her. “Rusty has… problems.”

The Alicorn giggled slightly. “Oh, you tell me. She had quite the display of power the other day.” Herb decided not to question what that had meant, and continued on.

“She- has anger issues. Pleasedon’tlaugh. I was always scared what she would do if I wasn’t there with her. I think some ponies just need to show her a little kindness, and she will repay it in tenfold. I was the only pony keeping her grounded, I think.”

“That was my suspicion, too.” Celestia spoke. “When we had her captured, I showed her a snippet of life, and she warmed up. It was almost as if-”

“She became a totally different person.”

“Correct. I assumed childhood trauma after she informed me she’d been homeless her whole life.”

“Me too. I do worry about her, and it seems my worrying might not be totally unjustified.” He said. Celestia nodded. Once again, there was a silence filling the void. For a moment, the two just stared past each other, unsure of what to say. Eventually, the Alicorn cleared her throat.

“Of course, I do need you for something.”

“Oh?”

“We plan on attacking The Crystal Empire without any casualties.”

“Double Oh?”

“In around a thousand years, the Elements of Harmony will rise to their full strength. I’ve already sent Luna to be dealt with by them. I’m hoping I’ll do the same to The Empire.”

“So… send them forward a thousand years?”

“Yes. It’s barbaric, and sounds… not like the best plan. But you have to understand, I will still be alive by then. It’s almost like procrastination. By the time The Crystal Empire comes back, not only will the general populous be more ready to deal with them, but The Elements of Harmony will be by my side, ready to take them on.”

“What about Rusty?”

“That’s where you come in. I’ve already told her to escape by the date I decided, but I feel like she will be hesitant. If she sees you, she will absolutely come running.”

“And what about the things she’s already done?”

“Acquitted. After all, what happens in The Crystal Empire stays in The Crystal Empire.” She giggled.

“But what if she doesn't make it? What if she is sent forward a thousand years?” Celestia had to think for a moment.

“We will cross that bridge when we get there.”


[Ponyville, 5/14/3210, Two Sister’s Reunion]


I had been somewhat securely fitted into the device. The fabric let my legs dangle above the ground. The wheels would now do the walking.

“So- how do I look?” I asked the three fillies in front of me. Sweetie belle was the first to respond.

“Awesome!”

“Vintage.”

“Yah had to use ‘our’ cart?” We all started laughing to each other. Of course, it wasn’t done just yet. I still had the issue of my other hoof. I could barely hobble across the ground by myself, but if I wanted to pickup something, it was impossible without face-planting the ground. I needed a piece of metal, like a peg-leg to support myself. Getting the resources would be a thousand times easier, now that I could manually walk place-to-place.

I had also installed wooden saddle-bag like structures on-top of either side, creating a nice area to store amenities, like bits.

“Well, I’ll see you guys around! Thanks for the help!”

“But we haven’t got our Cutie Marks yet!”

“Tough luck!” I said, walking away. No, rolling away. This was it. I could go anywhere I wanted. The sense of freedom was absolutely breath-taking. What an experience. I can’t believe I used to be able to walk whenever I wanted, taking it for granted whenever I wanted. Now, after all this time, I was finally walking again. This machine was only a prototype. I had Rarity design a proper one for me. For all I know, she is the only one who knows what I’m doing. Rainbow Dash and Applejack both had an idea, but both were probably still completely blind.

I know what to do. If I want to be as close to whole as I can get, I need a robotic leg. Nothing too insanely fancy, just something that would move when I did. It didn’t need to move via neurological inputs or anything, just move when the cart moved forward. I could even use my other hoof to pick things up. That would be great.

I really really want to show ponies. They would absolutely love it. Finally, independence from shame and embarrassment.

I closed my eyes for a moment, soaking up the sky. It was such a methodical feeling, having the sun shining on my face. When was the last time I did this? I felt better.


*THUMP*


I fell over, didn’t I?

I totally just fell over. When did I close my eyes? I opened them again, to realize I was tilted on my side like a turtle. The sky had darkened quite a bit. Man, I was tired. Not sleeping might do that to a pony. But I can’t fall asleep now, I had come this far.

Silently struggling, I stood myself back up with shifts of my spine. I could feel it in my nuzzle, sleep trying to inch its way back into my system. Not right now. Not forever. I just had to keep going.