• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 807 Views, 10 Comments

To Walk Again - Cxcd



An ex-engineer of King Sombra is forced to adapt to modern-life, while being tormented with her former memories of a past gone-by.

  • ...
5
 10
 807

07 - So close.

[Ponyville, 5/12/3210, Two Sister’s Reunion]


“Applejack! Delivery for Applejack!” Rainbow Dash projected across the farm. Between her hooves was a particularly embarrassed Rusty Gear.

“A’hm down here!” Applejack yelled. Rainbow Dash looked around for a moment, before spotting her, bucking away at a tree. She flew downwards, placing Rusty on a pile of apples in a cart.

“Post-mare Dash, at your service!” She said, saluting to the orange pony.

“Hmph. Better service than Ditsy, tell you what.” Applejack walked over to where Rusty laid. “Now, what might I owe the service?” She said, bowing slightly.

“Hallo Applejack. If it wouldn’t be a problem, I was-”

“Oh, trust me sugarcube, nothing’ll be a problem.”

“O-okay. I was wondering if I could borrow- ahem, ‘BORROW’ an apple cart?” Rusty Gears shy’d away from Applejack’s gaze.

“What do you need it for?” She questioned, tilting her head slightly. Rainbow Dash lowered to the ground.

“She won’t even tell me!”

“Well, it should be a surprise.” Rusty said, still diverting her eyes to the ground.

“But don’t worry, AJ, It’s not anything evil. I already asked.”

“Rainbow! You don’t ask somepony that!”

“Why not? It’s not my fault shes pretty much a convicted war-criminal.”

“RAINBOW!” Applejack looked back to the pony in the cart, who was now delicately pushing an apple between her hoof. She could not imagine the pony in front of her doing those… horrible things. In the past few months, she certainly had changed her ways. “It’s okay. You can borrow a cart, I trust you.”

With that, Rusty perked up, smiling. “Thank you Applejack!”

“But… I don’t think you can really build anything with your current condition, though.”

“Yeah- It might take me a little while.”

“We’re all busy… But I think I know a group of ponies who would be more than willing to help.”

“Oh? Who would that be?”

“Well…” She put a hoof to her chin, tapping, and looking mysterious.

“Oh, AJ.” Rainbow re-introduced herself to the conversation. “You’re not thinking about… the crusaders, are you?”


[Canterlot, 4/10/2204, Celestia's Solo Reign]


*BLAM*


The poor museum-pony was thrown backwards with the shock of the cannon. Out of the tip, an explosion fired, and a cannonball flew through the air, towards the huge machine.


*CRUNCH*


The entire face of the machine was crunched inwards, the cannon now pointed directly at the ground. A direct hit! The once pristine brass was nothing more than a load of crumples. Surprisingly, the other machines who stood by the strange pony, backed up, into the smoke. Was that a sign of retreat? Soon, the only machine left was the one inhabited by that… pony.

She was fine, just severely disorientated. The cannonball had barely missed the cockpit, instead all of the force went directly into the boiler.

What was that sound? It was hissing, something not good with a high-pressure environment. She took a moment to think. Hold on, if the boiler was loosing pressure- was it going to explode? She had to get out of there!

With a buck of her hind-legs, the windshield popped off. She quickly clambered out of the machine. She had forgotten how tall the machine was, as she jumped off the machine, landing on her chest, instead of her legs. She kept clambering, just trying to gain some distance, before-


*KA-BLAM*


The damn thing exploded from the inside! A large ball of red fire erupted, the shock wave knocking Rusty off her legs, and she slid into the ground, and onto the bridge that separated the machines from Canterlot. With a knock of her head, she became unconscious.


[Ponyville, 5/12/3210, Two Sister’s Reunion]


“So- your the pony who almost killed my sister?” The small tan one investigated.

“Uhm-”

“Don’t worry, I forgive you.”

“Wha-”

“Well, I don’t!” The orange pegasus with the purple mane said.

“O-oh, I-”

“Let’s give her space. She’s probably very confused.” The white unicorn said.

“Actually, I do forgive you, but barely!” The orange one said again. Her mind was completely ker-frazzled. How do these things have so much energy?

“I have a job for you- and you might get your marks from it.”

“Why would it?”

“I dunno, just providing options for you. You guys wanna try everything, right?”

“YEAH!” All three said in unison.

“Then it’s decided!” Rusty pulled out a piece of parchment from her saddle-bags. “I need these things from town. Don’t worry, I have bits. If you bring me back everything, I might even pay you.” She said, with a wink.

“YES MAM!” They said in unison. The pegasus grabbed the paper, the earth-pony grabbed the bits, and the white unicorn was left in the dust for a moment, before looking confused, then following them.


[Canterlot, 4/12/2204, Celestia's Solo Reign]


I had a terrible headache. The world seemed to fade in from reality as I realize my position. I think I’m in a hospital? The walls do seem like it. And the bed below me feels like it’s made from cloud.

I try moving, only to feel something pulling against my right-hoof. I take a glance and realize I’m handcuffed to the bed. Dammit. The memories come flooding back. That’s right. I tried to attack Canterlot. Maybe I got a bit out of hand… But they’re still a bunch of assholes.

“Ah, I see somepony is finally awake.” A doctor had his hoof on mine, listening intently.

“Will all due respect, get the buck away from me.” I jerked my hoof away. He just gave me a look. A look of… disappointment? He eventually nodded, and exited the room. I could faintly hear talking outside the door. A moment later, a royal guard entered the room, dressed in the usual golden-glowing armor.

“Princess Celestia will be here shortly.” He said with a firm, but gentle voice. Why were they acting like… that?

I only rest my head back onto my pillow, looking up at the tiled ceiling. I gave an exhaustive sigh.


It must’ve been a mere ten minutes when I heard a knock on the door. The guard walked to the door, and opened it, and god damn, there she was.

A towering figure, taking up the majority of the room walked in. She actually crouched to walk into the window-less room, before returning to her full-height. Her coat was a snow-white, and her hair glistened a bright pink, flowing in the non-existent wind. One feature I noticed right away, however, was the fact she had both wings and a horn. Weird.

“Thank you, guards, please leave us.” She said, motioning with her hoof away from the door. The guard listened, and walked out.

“I see your finally awake. How have the doctors been treating you?”

“I dunno, just woke up.” I nonchalantly said, trying my hardest to hide my fear.

“Of course. How silly of me. Welcome to the Canterlot hospital.” She smiled. She was hiding something behind that smile.

“Uh-huh.” I said, diverting my eyes, back towards the room. “It’s very… regal.”

“Is that a problem?” She said.

“No- it’s fine… Why haven’t you killed me yet?” I said, looking back into her eyes, which I only just noticed was a shade of purple. Her face inhibited a mask of shock… or was it a mask? She seemed at least partially genuinely confused;.

“Why would we kill you? That’s only barbaric.”

“I mean, I’m the solo weapon-producer and engineer behind the entirety of The Crystal Empire. I would think you’d want me dead.” I said. Celestia took a moment to process the information.

“No. Everypony deserves a second chance. That’s why I never send anypony away forever.”

“Is that what you’ll do to me? Send me away for a thousand years? Like your sister?” I had obviously trotted on a nerve. She looked away for a moment.

“Let’s start with your name.” She looked back towards me. “I am Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria. What’s yours?”

“Rusty Gear. Soon-to-be ruler of Equestria, current engineer.”

“Ah. That’s what you want.” She looked towards the ground. “Why? Why do you want to dethrone me?”

“You bloomin royals have taken so much from me. You obviously don’t know how to run a country.”

“What have we done to deserve this reaction?”

“You took my parents, my home, my stallionfreind, what else are you gonna take? My soul?”


Well, this was interesting. Celestia was digging at the truth. The internal struggles of the mare in front of her. Her way of things seemed more… barbaric? Maybe all she needed was kindness. That would make her understand. Kindness and honesty.

“Tell me more about this Stallionfreind. I’m sure I can help you.” She said, carefully choosing her tone. She saw what set off her last time, and she doesn't want it to happen again. Obviously, something stirred in her brain. Had she unlocked something? This mare seemed fragile. Living in a glasshouse, maybe?

“His name was Herb.” She crossed her hooves together as best she could, before the slack in the handcuffs toughened up.

“Here, let me get that.” Remember, Celestia, kindness. Show her kindness. With a flick of her magic, the handcuff released. Rusty rubbed the spot where it had been clipped, her fur slightly distorted in color. Rusty looked like she wanted to thank her… but something got in the way.

“He was the kindest, nicest, and cutest stallion in all of Manehattan.” She flicked her hair.

“You come from Manehattan?”

“Yes. Is that surprising?”

“No, not at all. Continue.”

“Hmph. I was working on a chimney, when the old bloke paying me died. I didn’t lay a hoof on the old prick. He just… died.” Celestia noticed she was holding something back. “I went to the homeless shelter, and the police arrested Herb for murder instead of me.”

Celestia wanted to defend her position as royalty, citing how the police rule differently from the guards, but Celestia kept her mouth shut.

“I am so sorry to hear that. I’m sure we can release him, get this all cleared up.” Remember, Celestia. Kindness. And it was working. She perked up at that idea.

“R-Release him? W-hat about me?” She stuttered out. Celestia took a moment to think. No parents, living on the street, lost her only friend… She had to have some trauma in her brain. Is that why she joined The Crystal Empire? To escape her past? Take revenge?

“You need to listen to me, please. I can tell something is tormenting you. We can plead for insanity.” Surprisingly, Rusty didn’t seem to mind.

“But you can get him back?”

“Of course, Rusty.” Celestia smiled. It was working. Now, time for the truth. “After talking today, I believe you have some… trauma? Childhood trauma perhaps?” Rusty still didn’t object. “Therapy would be good. But not until we find Herb, you understand?” It was like talking to a filly.

“Yes, of course, Princess Celestia!” There was that smile. All it took was a conversation, and she was convinced.


Herb. HERB. I get to see Herb again! Thank Celestia! I could barely contain my excitement. Actually, I couldn’t because I was smiling like a little filly. Maybe she wasn’t as bad as I had thought.

“Come, let’s go for a walk, together.” Celestia returned the smile, extending a hoof in offering. I excitedly took it, and we left the room.

The hospital was grand, and ponies were rushing to and from. Guards started following us as we left. Doctors and nurses who weren’t currently busy bowed to Celestia as we moved through the hall. I almost got the impression they were bowing to me… which was slightly uncomfortable.

We had soon left the front doors, and a pony-drawn carriage was waiting out-front for us. Celestia extended a hoof, offering it up. I gladly obliged, and entered the slightly over-sized carriage. But to be fair, Celestia was also over-sized.

Celestia had almost entered the cart. She was so close, hoof on the step, before a messenger pegasus flew down next to her.

“Princess Celestia!” The pegasus bowed. “An army is building out front! They have demands!”


Not The Crystal Empire again! No- she had been so close! Here is Rusty, literally sitting in the carriage, ready to be reformed. Her hypothesis on villain-reforming has to wait, business to attend to.


Dear Princess Celestia.

I have to understand things got slightly out-of-hoof two days ago. It is entirely my fault, and I apologize for almost blasting your guards. Those who left behind my favorite engineer have been punished, no need to worry about that.

However, I have been informed you have imprisoned the previously mentioned engineer. I wish to stress, I am standing outside with every soldier I have ever trained, ready to blow the walls off that pretty little palace.

My demands are simple. Destroy the mechanical carriage she had made, and return my engineer. This doesn’t have to turn to war.

Signed, King Sombra.


No. NO! She’d been so close! She was willing to listen, willing to change. But this blew it all back. She would be irate again. All the work, gone down the drain.

“Princess Celestia, Is something wrong?” Rusty said, having noticed her face of panic.

“I-I’m so sorry. I am so, so sorry, Rusty.” Celestia said, avoiding eye contact.

“What’s wrong?”

“King Sombra wants you back.” Celestia said, eyes still pointed towards the ground. She could feel her confusion.

“Oh. But- I like it here. Couldn’t I just stay?”

“No.”

“Wh-at? Why not?”

“Because I’m not risking everypony’s lives for an engineer.”


I knew it. I bloody knew it. All the royals were the same. Just soul-draining, stupid monsters. Willing to give up anypony for any reason. Lives were just trading cards to them. I feel… almost like vomiting. Why would I listen to something as spineless as Princess Celestia. Why was I listening? Was I acting? I didn’t feel like I was acting.

“No! You can’t send me back there!” I shouted. I sounded broken. Why did I say that? The Crystal Empire was my home. Celestia looked at me. Her eyes were full of tears. Did she actually care for me? No. Of course she didn’t it was just a show. I bet she lied about Herb, too. Of course she did. Why did I listen to her so willingly?

“I’m sorry.”

“No your not! You were trying to use me! All you royals are the same, I knew it!” I shouted. Celestia’s tears started flowing even more as she looked at me.

“You need to trust me-”

“I never would!”

“Rusty-”

“I hate all of you! You’ll see the day Canterlot is a pile of rubble! I’ll make you watch!”

“Rusty, by next month, I want you out of-”

“I don’t want to hear it! No more lies!”

“Listen if you ever want to see Herb again.” She said. “By next month, I need you to escape The Royal Empire. Just- find an excuse, anything. If you are there, you will never see him again. By March 12th, 3:30 in the afternoon, that's the hard deadline. Any longer... you don't want to find out. ” For some reason, I still believed her. She closed the carriage door without saying anything else. I watched her mouth something to the taxi driver, and we started moving.

I was dropped off by the main exit to meet Sombra again. He seemed thrilled to see me again. But I still chewed those words. By next month? What did that mean? What was Celestia planning? I hate her, I hate all royals, but for some reason, those words stuck with me. What could it hurt to listen?