• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 807 Views, 10 Comments

To Walk Again - Cxcd



An ex-engineer of King Sombra is forced to adapt to modern-life, while being tormented with her former memories of a past gone-by.

  • ...
5
 10
 807

05 - Dinner

[The Crystal Empire, 1/20/2203, Celestia's Solo Reign]


“This is your room, Miss Gear.” The attendant stopped at a door in the castle. With a heave, I pushed open the heavy metal door. The room was large, in the lap of luxury. It reminded me of royalty. How much I wanted to see them suffer.

The ceiling was curved, with a delicious chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Large windows shone bright sunlight into the room. Outside, a delicate snow drizzled from the sky.

I walked past the attendant without another word. She seemed to understand, and closed the door behind me. I could hear her hooves, trotting on the ground, down the hall.

I explored the large flat. The nicest of furniture decorated the room, going for a very minimalist vibe, yet still discreetly soviet. Everything was high quality. There was even a basket of apples on the coffee table with a small note attached. The note read, ‘From Apple Acres.’

I decided I hate apples. I kicked them with my hind leg, flying across the room. No, this place was too neat. I started moving sofas, which was easy, considering I’m an earth pony. They conformed to my demands. I slightly misaligned them, breaking the style. Apples strewn across the floor, I crossed it to the kitchen. Once again, I started opening cabinets just for the sake of making the home feel ‘lived in.’

The more I tried to make a mess, the more the anger boiled in my stomach. Why was I subject to this? Why was I the one- Did I- No, it had to be somepony else’s fault. It couldn’t be mine. What was I talking about? Maybe King Sombra- I don’t- ARGH!

I kicked the cabinets I was opening. One snapped all the way open, breaking off the hinges. I could feel my hooves pulsing under my legs. I was enraged. I needed to-

“Miss Gear?”

“WHAT?” I snapped, looking at the attendant again. She shrieked away under my piercing gaze.

“King Sombra would like to meet you… If you could follow-” I pushed past her. I’ll figure out my own way. I don’t need her.

“Miss Gear. So glad you could join me. Why do I feel anger resonating off your coat?”

“None of your business.” King Sombra was waiting for me in a large, empty dining hall. Around him, there were no guards. There were no staff. Just a large, open dining table with silver platters on it.

“Ah- I see. Before we start, I must ask you to endulge in this feast.” Using his magic, the lids were removed from the platters.

Infront of me, a Dandelion Souffle.

This was the same meal I had with Herb on our final night out.

Was this some kinda bucking sick joke? Did King Sombra know, somehow? I could feel my snout recede into my face, as I scrunch up my nose. I know I look like a filly, but I don’t care. How did he know? How? I swear to god, I will punt the sick buck into the next dimension over.

“Your emotions… Ahh~.” King Sombra rolled his eyes into the back of his head. “Anger. So, so much hate.” Why was he reading me? I didn’t like it. He was trying to get into my head. He was trying to buck with me. “You want revenge… I might be able to help with that.”

I could feel myself relax.

“There you go, Miss Gear. Relax.” King Sombra stood from his chair at the long end of the table, trotting merrily towards me. “I want to know your plans, Miss Gear. I want to know it all… Tell me- What is this… weapon?”

Alright. Time to spill my guts.

“Fire. Fire boil water. Water make steam. Steam hypercompressable. Hypercompressed steam equals deadly power. I can utilize that.” I now turned towards him. “Imagine a carriage, but without a pony to move it forward. Like it’s on magic.”

King Sombra huffed his chest. “I thought you said ‘no magic,’”

“I did. It won’t run on magic. It’ll run on nothing but steam. Magic counters magic. But what counters mechanical energy?”

King Sombra looked at me for a moment. I can tell he tried to make his gaze piercing, but I stood unaffected. He turned around, and started walking towards the exit. “I will allow you to build your steam machine, but I need you to build me something first.” He said. Before exiting the room, he turned to look at me one last time. “I need you to invent a magic limiter for Unicorns. A lot more prisoners would be cooperative if they couldn’t use their magic. Follow your attendant, she will bring you to the workshop.”

As I left the room, I realized I still hadn’t ate.


[Ponyville, 5/11/3210, Two Sister’s Reunion]

The sun had been setting.

The library was quiet, and I was laying in bed, feeling useless as always. Sprawled in front of me on the bed, the blueprint Rarity had wrote for me. I had added measurements, done mental math, and contemplated the reality of the situation. This was gonna be easy. Before I knew it, I would be able to walk again.

But Rarity had left something out. Or, rather, added something in. On the drawing, Rarity had added paint onto the pony’s front-right arm. A mechanical arm. She had made it look mechanical. Although I applaud Rarity’s intelligence and imagination, I hardly think I can ‘create’ a new arm. I thought of it as another ‘quirk.’

I rolled the parchment back into it’s original form, and tucked it snugly behind my bed frame, out of sight. Everypony, and everydragon, was asleep. I stared up at the ceiling as I lay there, making out the distinct curvature of the library’s roof. This place was once a tree, after all.

A methodical ticking sound overplayed my consciousness. A clock was beating in the corner, telling me it was sometime around eleven at night. I could fall asleep to this sound, and to be fair, I plan on it.


Tick


Tick


Click


Tick


One


Two


Three-


BLAM


Half awake on the floor, I had rolled out of bed, letting out a shriek. I was just about to fall asleep, too. I had seen it. For a moment, on the ceiling, I had seen that brick wall. That bucking brick wall. I had seen too many brains splattered against that wall. I had seen too many ponies final moments on that wall. I had- I had caused their final moments on that wall.

Twilight sat upright in bed,

“Wha- Rusty, are you okay?!” She quickly crawled out of bed, practically running over to my position. I was curled up, my one hoof grabbing my knees, pulling them close to myself. I was sobbing. When did I start crying? These past few days, I’ve done nothing but cry it seems. I couldn’t bring myself to look at Twilight. I was too ashamed.

“Rusty, talk to me. Please.” She was kneeling next to me, both hooves on my side.

“Twilight, whats wrong?” Spike had also woken up out of his small cot, looking in our direction. I couldn’t bring myself to talk. I just kept sobbing, letting it all fall out.

“Rusty, please. Please, just talk to me.”

“T-T-Turn off the c-clock!” I managed to whisper. The ticking sound was still front most in my head. Twilight looked to Spike. He seemed to get the message, quickly scrambling towards the clock on the wall. He took it down, and on the back, took a moment to find the off switch.


Tick


Tick


Ti-


Silence. Silence filled the library. True silence. I could let myself calm down. I could finally calm down. Finally. Oh god, the silence was music. The silence was deafening. Right there and then, I closed my eyes, and started drifting to sleep.


[The Crystal Empire, 1/21/2203, Celestia's Solo Reign]


“Try levitating that apple.” I demanded my attendant to do. The yellow mare looked towards the table with difficulty. A large, leathery object was hanging around her neck. She looked towards the apple, and started concentrating. Her horn lit up a blue. But nothing happened.

“More.” I said. She looked concerned, but kept trying. She rearranged her hoofs on the ground, and pointed more towards the apple. Once again, nothing happened.

“Even more. Put your back into it before this becomes something more than a necklace.” She seemed to understand, her face turning purple as she put everything she had into it. The apple still did nothing. But something unexpected happened. The red-leathery material covering her neck, which had valves, gauges, and other pipes sticking out of the thing, suddenly let out its own burst of magic, temporarily stunning the yellow unicorn. She was thrown onto her knees, and let out a wail.

Perfection. Not only did it prevent the unicorn from using magic, but punished her if she tried to use it. This is what King Sombra wanted me for.

“Miss Gear, could I please-”

“No. Leave it on.” I pointed at her. She shrieked backwards, diverting eye contact. I marched over to my desk, and in one of the drawers, I took out a quill and started writing a letter.


Sombra.

I have completed your Magic Restrainer.

Not only does it prevent Unicorns from using their magic, but will also zap them.

Rusty Gear.


There, that was good enough. I turned around to meet the Unicorn. I loved watching her look so uncomfortable, with the big heavy brace on. I let a smile creep over my face. For a few moments, I watched her, neck down, looking at me with those sad, fear driven eyes.

“Okay, you can take it off.” I finally said. She couldn’t agree more, quickly dismounting from the machine. “Send a letter, please. Straight to Sombra.” I used my hoof to motion her away. She took the letter from my outstretched hoof, and quickly ran out of the room.


My Dearest Rusty Gear,

I am absolutely pleased to hear you have completed my request. Somehow, against all odds, you approached a theoretical machine with a sense of diligence I can’t say many do. And you have done it in a single day. This is the upmost impressive. I do believe a reward is in tow for you. Would 3:30 tomorrow, courtyard be a good time? I would like to see your work in action.

Signed, King Sombra, Ruler of The Crystal Empire.


I sighed at the letter, getting out a new piece of parchment.


Sombra.

Sure.

Rusty.


And I sent it.