• Published 23rd Dec 2011
  • 5,303 Views, 166 Comments

Unmarked - Croswynd



When a pegasus grows to adulthood without gaining his cutie mark, a particular professor offers to bring him around the world in search of his purpose.

  • ...
5
 166
 5,303

Chapter 15: Secrets and Forbidden Places

Chapter 15: Secrets and Forbidden Places

- Illustration by me

“Whisper!” Novell screamed, fear gripping his insides. Beside him, Quills cried for her brother while Pensive broke into a full gallop. Shaking off his shock, the pegasus tore through the air after his friend, tucking his wings close to his body as he darted through the open door. He came to a stop with a powerful downstroke, swirling the smoke clear directly around him, still aloft.

The inside of the tavern was a mess, from what little he could see. Smoke whirled mysteriously in the room, cloaking everything in a gray sheet. Tables and stools were strewn everywhere, broken glass and plates littering the floor. Fires burned menacingly around the bar, crouching and hissing as if alive. Novell’s ears twitched this way and that, searching any kind of sound.. When none came, dread crept into his mind, thoughts of- Don’t think about that now. Focus.

With a clatter of hooves against wood, a grey coated pony leapt to the top of the bar. Before Novell could even ask if everypony was okay, the pony’s forehead lit up, magic suppressing the fires with methodical efficiency. The pegasus descended to the wooden floor, frantically looking left and right in an attempt to find Whisper. Pensive walked in behind him, instantly following the other unicorn’s example while creaks and coughs began to enter the silence.

Ponies and griffons started to peek out from behind tables and the bar itself, none of them seeming hurt. A few of the tavern’s occupants groaned at the amount of damage, but otherwise seemed rather...cheerful? The pegasus glanced around uselessly, searching for some rhyme or reason to the strange scene.

“Professor?” Novell asked when the smoke cleared enough for him to recognize the unicorn on the bar.

Professor Search glanced over at him in surprise, his glasses askew on his nose. “Oh, there you are lad. I was wondering when you’d show up. Did you meet with the ambassadors?”

The pegasus opened his mouth to reply, but then caught himself and waved the question away. “What happened? Is everypony okay? The bar exploded!”

“Oh, yes, perfectly fine, perfectly fine. In fact, we had plenty of time to take cover. Whisper and Scrolls are upstairs, I believe,” the grey coated pony said, craning his neck to look up.

“Up here, actually, trying not to die...again,” Whisper called sarcastically from above. Novell looked up to see her orange face covered in a pattern of soot that suggested the chandelier hadn’t protected her from all of the explosion’s smoke. “By the way, thanks so much for blowing us up, Kalyn.”

“It’s not my fault!” the griffon beside her said, peeking out from the other end of the chandelier. His face was also covered in soot, though a couple of rings around his eyes showed his soft, brown feathers. A pair of goggles rested on his forehead, their blackened forms the origin of the griffon’s eyespots. Two long feathers poked out from beneath the goggles, their tips a deep black, as if they’d been singed one too many times. The griffon smoothed them out distractedly with one claw.

“What do you mean it isn’t your fault? You’re the one who set up the still!” Scrolls interrupted the grooming and clip clopped his way down the stairs. His sister met him at the bottom, giving him first a hug and then a cuff to the ear. “Ow!”

The griffon waved his claw in dismissal and fell to the floor, catching himself with a burst of downdraft. “My still was perfect. It just suffered from a little flaw, which wouldn’t have even occurred if there hadn’t have been a fire nearby.”

Whisper dropped down beside the griffon and trotted over to a sack of wheat, pulling Swirley out of it and setting him on her head. The snail was shaking, his body pulled into his protective shell and his two eyestalks peeking out from under it. Cooing reassuringly to her pet, the mare turned her attention back to the griffon and pointed at him with a hoof.

“Not very perfect if there’s a flaw. You’re the inventor, aren’t you? You’re supposed to think of these things! Swirley’s still scared stiff from that broken top you put on his shell earlier. Does everything you make explode?”

“Well, yes, my inventions often have slight...imbalances in their combustible areas,” the griffon called Kalyn admitted sheepishly, “but that’s not important! What is, is that I created the perfect blend of Lunashine.”

He held up a flask of liquid that glowed a deep blue that was almost black, pinpricks of light dancing within it. Kalyn looked at his creation with adoration, his beak turned up in a smile.

A second later, the flask was swept away by a large griffon with a wide waistline, who downed it in one gulp. The big griffon screwed his eyes shut and coughed before belching appreciatively with a clack of his beak.

“Almost worth the amount of damage you put my inn through, Kal’,” the inkeeper announced.

Kalyn was staring at the other griffon with a scandalized expression written across his face. “That was- you just- my invention-”

A loud, boisterous laugh echoed through the bar as the big griffon slapped his claw across Kalyn’s back, the rest of the tavern joining in. “You’re lucky I like you, tinker. Fine, I’ll only make you clean up this mess instead of paying for it, but only because of that sweet ‘shine you just made. You figure out a way to make more, you come talk to me and we’ll sell it here at the inn. Sound good?”

Novell fell to his rump, mystified by the events playing out in front of him. It was so disconnected from what he thought he would be dealing with that his brain just couldn’t keep up. The throbbing of his veins slowed with the ebb of adrenaline, a sense of exhausted relief washing over him.

He felt a poke from his side and looked up to see Whisper and Swirley staring at him. “Hey, blankie.”

“Hey,” Novell sighed, letting his head hang toward the floor, watching the customers right tables and help Kalyn sweep up glass. The general din of conversation churned the air while they cleaned, the jovial atmosphere of any tavern in the world reappearing. He idly wondered how the mood would change if he took off his saddlebags and they noticed his unmarked flank. That thought brought him up short, because he hadn’t thought about it since Ponyville. “You haven’t called me that in awhile.”

The mare sat next to him, out of the way of everything. “Yeah, well, I gotta change it up sometimes. ‘Novell’ gets old.”

Despite himself, the white pegasus smiled. “Thanks a lot.”

“You’re welcome. How’d the thing go with the ambassadors?” Whisper asked.

“They told us to stay out of the way, basically,” Novell replied, looking over at the mare. “Not much to do until Havoc makes a move, I guess.”

Whisper yawned, her pet mimicking the motion atop her mane. “So that means we’re going to go snooping around anyway, right?”

“No, not this time. But we will be doing something.”

“Oh, yeah, what’s that?”

Novell glanced over at the Professor, who was already engaged with a few of the tavern patrons, telling a story about his times in the Old Kingdoms. “We’re going to help the Professor save a friend.”

*****

The unmarked pegasus paced inside the large central chamber that served as Kalyn’s living room, the whirring of various gadgets a constant background noise. The griffon had invited them to stay at his house for the night in return for the troubles he had put them through. The Professor had graciously accepted his old friend’s request, though Novell wasn’t sure he wanted to sleep anywhere near the pyrotechnic inventor.

An acrid stench issued from what the griffon called his ‘Room of Creation’ as if in reminder of an explosion being a second away, but the pegasus had already grown accustomed to it from its constant presence throughout the Aerie. The cost of invention, he mused.

At the moment, his friends and their interesting host were scattered about the room, waiting for him to speak. Their eyes tracked his progress back and forth, aside from Whisper, who was playing a game with Swirley that involved changing the snail’s shell color. He stopped and glanced at each of them in turn before his eyes came to rest on a certain grey unicorn.

“Professor,” Novell began, “I think we had better tell the others about your friend here in the Kingdoms.”

“One of your friends in trouble, Professor?” Scrolls asked curiously, staring at the unicorn.

The old researcher winced and nodded, looking away from the earth pony. “Indeed. She was last seen here in the Griffon Kingdoms, from the clues and hints I’ve gathered, wandering through old ruins. A dangerous occupation, as I know only too well, especially alone.”

Novell noticed the omission of who the pony was, but he kept his mouth shut. Like the Professor said, sometimes keeping secrets kept other ponies from being hurt. Another lesson I need to learn carefully, he thought morosely, averse to the idea of keeping secrets from his friends. He glanced at each, wondering if they all had secrets they were keeping from him.

“She in the Griffon Kingdoms?” Kalyn questioned from his perch, a wooden stool covered in claw marks.

Professor Search nodded. “She is. The only thing I do not know is where she is, specifically. I have a general idea, but, well, it’s not somewhere ponies are particularly allowed.”

Quills snorted. “Going against the law, now? Especially at a time like this?”

Novell’s breath hitched at that, wondering what the filly would say if she knew who the friend was. Cursing the necessity of keeping secrets, the pegasus nodded. “It’s important, both for friendship and...” he hesitated, “...and because it’s the right thing to do.”

“The right thing to do?” the earth pony looked at him suspiciously. “We don’t even know who we’re trying to save.”

Novell sighed. “I’m going to help the Professor find his friend, regardless of who she is, because it doesn’t matter. Somepony is in trouble - that’s all I need to know. You can stay if you want, but waiting around for something to happen has never been something I enjoy.” He raised a brow at the filly. “Something I don’t think any of us enjoy. That said, none of you have to come if you don’t wish to. Our main goal is finding Havoc and Professor Mark, after all, so I’ll understa-.”

Whisper snorted and waved a hoof, her pet’s shell shifting through a pattern of green and orange. “I’m coming with you and so is Swirley. I doubt you’d be able to handle anything if we’re not there, weak as you are. Besides, doing nothing is boring.”

“I shall accompany you as well,” Pensive said simply. “The Elder is...my friend, as is any thing that he holds that same friendship for.”

Quills sighed, looking none too happy. “Okay, I guess Scrolls and I will go, too.”

“Actually, I think I’ll stay,” her brother replied quickly, causing everypony to stare at him in surprise. The earth pony shrugged and grinned sheepishly. “I do want to go, but it’s probably better if someone stays behind and helps track down some leads on Havoc or Professor Mark. Two apples with one buck.”

Novell rustled his wings uncomfortably, thinking the decision over. It was the obviously correct thing to do, no question, but not necessarily the one the twin would have chosen if he knew all the variables. The colt deserved to be there if everything worked out, at least. Unless she’s not really there. False hope, he thought glumly. A quick glance showed the Professor looking miserable, but the old unicorn held his peace, not looking in Novell’s direction.

“That’s a good idea,” the white pegasus said after a time, reluctantly siding with the young pony’s side. “It is.”

“Maybe I should stay here with Scrolls,” the other earth pony started, but her twin shook his head.

“No, Quills, you need to go with them. They might need your photographic memory or your knowledge of everything.” He rolled his eyes and gave her a lopsided smile at the last. “Don’t worry, your little brother will be fine by himself. If I get into any trouble, I’ll find Captain Skycrasher.”

Quills still looked reticent, like she was trying to reconcile some big, inward debate. Novell felt for the younger pony. She hadn’t been without Scrolls for more than a few minutes since he’d met the twins.

After a few more moments of inner turmoil, the filly seemed to calm down, nodding in mute agreement. With one hurdle down, Novell breathed a sigh of relief. He caught the Professor’s eye, giving the other pony the opportunity to speak.

“Very well, since we’ve all come to a decision, I have some information on my...friend’s whereabouts. Kalyn here,” Professor Search nodded to the griffon, who had been watching everything with interest in his raptor-like eyes, “gave me a few more possibilities based on the clues I’ve gathered over the ye- that is, since my friend disappeared.”

The unicorn paused, levitating his battered old logbook from somewhere behind him. Novell resolved to ask the pony where he kept it, but held his questions for the moment.

Setting the notebook gently on the table, Professor Search cleared his throat and pushed his glasses further up his muzzle. “One area is a valley near the Hippogryph’s traditional gathering ground, where their young perform a rite of passage once they reach adulthood. The second is near that area, an old aerie that was never completed, and the last is where the Hippogryphs are currently making camp in preparation for what looks to the griffons to be war.”

They all blanched at the last, none of them the least bit happy with how events were turning out. Novell and his party knew the cause was Havoc, which was why they had to find clues, and quickly. The pegasus glanced over at Scrolls, secretly glad the scarf-wearing pony had decided to stay behind. Hopefully the young scholar would be able to find something to help the two ambassadors with their investigations. Not to mention avert a war, Novell thought with a hint of apprehension.

Quills’ voice drew his attention back to the discussion. “It can’t be where the Hippogryphs are gathered. Nopony would survive anything like that and it says here,” she pointed with her hoof at the notebook, “that your friend’s location is somewhere high. A valley wouldn’t exactly be the highest point in the Griffon Kingdoms, nor would where the Hippogryphs are now. I think it’s the old aerie, if anywhere.”

Scrolls broke in, pointing at the notebook again. “But it says here that she was exploring old ruins. This ‘traditional ground’ place the Professor talked about has some ruins. I remember reading one of the books in the library about Hippogryphs and their culture. It was an old building project by the Griffons to help civilize the Hippogryphs. Maybe it’s one of the towers there?”

“Doesn’t seem like civilizing them worked,” Whisper put in dryly.

“Both of those possibilities were my top guesses as well,” Kalyn said, tapping a claw against the Professor’s book. “We can scratch out where the tribes are gathered now. No way we’d get there without a fight even if she was there. Might as well check the other two places first.”

“You’re coming?” Professor Search asked, flabbergasted. “But you’ve a job and- and a sister to take care of! You don’t have the time, lad!”

The tinker shook his head stubbornly. “You need me to guide you wherever you go. A map just won’t cut it, if that’s what you were thinking of asking for.”

“Well, I was thinking along those lines, yes, but-,” the Professor backtracked before being interrupted.

“Besides, you’re can’t fly. How did you expect to get there?”

The unicorn looked away, a bit of color rising to his cheeks. “I hadn’t thought that far ahead, but I was thinking of walking-”

“No, that won’t work,” Kalyn forestalled his friend’s idea. Novell snickered behind a hoof, never having seen the Professor thrown off balance so badly. “I can guide you there and with three fliers, we can carry you, the filly, and, what was your name, Pensive?” When the teal unicorn nodded, the griffon continued, “This is the best way, Professor. Trust me.”

“And what of your sister, then? Young Valyrie, I believe her name was?” the unicorn asked gravely.

“She’s-,” the griffon stopped mid-thought, cocking his head.

A second later, Novell heard what drew Kalyn’s attention - the subtle scrape of claws on obsidian. His ears pricked and he turned toward the door just as it began to swing open on its soundless hinges.

“Kal’, I’m ba-,”

You!” Pensive burst out angrily, his horn glowing and pulling on Novell’s tail. The pegasus was helplessly dragged behind his enraged friend, caught between surprise at the griffon who had just walked in and a prickling fear for the unicorn’s behavior. “Here to steal more possessions from this one’s friends? Things are brave here, to sneak into a occupied ho-.”

The Professor made to move forward, but was beat to it by Kalyn. The older griffon gracefully leaped between Pensive and the thief from earlier, lifting a claw in a conciliatory manner. Novell noticed both of the griffons’ feathers bunching up around the neck and wings, their forms seeming to grow larger.

“Wait,” Kalyn told the teal unicorn.

Pensive’s eyebrows furrowed, but the magic aura faded from his horn regardless. “This thing has stolen from Novell! This one- I will not allow her to steal more from this place.”

The thief’s eyes slitted, a rumbling growl emanating from her throat. Her tail was lashing back and forth like a maddened snake, ready to strike at any moment. Kalyn simply closed his eyes and sighed, turning toward the accused party.

“Val’,” he said the name softly, but gained an edge as he went on, “have you been stealing again?”

“You mean she’s-,” Novell started, but was quickly shushed by Scrolls, who had come up beside him. The pegasus’ mouth formed a line, but he held his tongue and turned his attention back to the two griffons.

The younger griffon was avoiding her brother’s eyes and Pensive’s cold glare. “I was just testing myself. I was going to give it ba-.”

“You’re not a chick anymore,” Kalyn replied firmly. “You can’t just take things that don’t belong to you. Besides, what could you possibly test by stealing?”

Valyrie looked up then, her gaze unwavering. “Stealth for the war. I’m not strong, but I’m quick. So I have to be silent.”

The older griffon adopted a pained expression and lashed his tail in frustration. “Val’, there’s not going to be a war. This will all blow over and-.”

“You don’t see it, Kal’, but it’s there. Everyone is in waiting for the feather to fall. The Matriarch, all the Aeries. Even Rell knows it’s coming. I’m just preparing for it,” she countered brashly.

Kalyn stiffened at those last words. “Rell doesn’t believe that. Neither do I. Neither should you.”

The would-be thief’s beak twisted into a scowl and she circled her brother like a lion stalking its prey. “You’re wrong. She doesn’t want it to happen, but she knows it’s going to.”

“There’s not going to be a war,” Novell finally spoke up, determination he was surprised to actually feel backing up his claim. “We know the reason the Hippogryphs are becoming hostile. We’re going to stop that from happening.”

“You six ponies are going to stop a war?” Valyrie asked, doubt plain in her tone. The griffon snorted, the beak transforming it into a shrill whistle, and shook her head. “No, I don’t think so. Even if you could somehow figure out the cause, you won’t be slowing the war down a single day. The Hippogryphs are a menace, to any species! They need to be brought into line or banished from the Kingdoms.”

The pegasus involuntarily took a step back from the griffon’s fervor, surprised any creature could harbor such feelings. Sure, Yeti and other monsters were always a danger, but they were just animals. Princess Celestia’s guardsmen kept them away from the towns and roads, protecting everypony - but going on the offensive seemed...wrong.

Steeling himself, Novell returned to his original position, muzzle to beak with Valyrie. “That’s not the right way to do things. War doesn’t help anypony! There’s no reason for it.”

“Oh, yeah?” the griffon taunted, tapping his chest with a claw. “You expect us griffons to just let them continue and hurt our communities? Hurt our chicks and civilians? Hurt everyone who inhabits the mountains, ponies included?” She continued tapping his chest with every question and growled. “Griffons do not wait for conflict to come to us. We safeguard what’s ours in whatever way we can.”

The griffon twirled, leaving Novell with his mouth open in a retort. Valyrie padded past her brother, looking up at him and pausing by the doorway. “You’re a griffon, Kal’, so act like one. I am.” She paused, glancing away and continuing in a softer tone. “So is Rell, even if she doesn’t realize it.”

With that, she left, not even bothering to close the door. Kalyn stared at the spot she had just occupied, his face emotionless. Professor Search walked up and put a hoof on the griffon’s shoulder, leaving the rest of the ponies to look awkwardly at the ground. Novell avoided everypony’s gaze and kicked one of his forelegs ineffectually, stirring up a bit of dust. How could she be so cold at her age? How could anyone?

I do not like that thing, Pensive interrupted his thoughts.

Are you okay? Novell asked inside his mind.

The unicorn didn’t react physically, but a frustration echoed in the pegasus’ mind. She stole from you. That is not right.

“Sometimes I wonder if that opinion isn’t right,” Kalyn said before Novell could reply. When everypony looked at him in shock, he shook his head and waved a claw. “I don’t. But I still disagree with it, still argue with less allies by my side every day. It’s as if none of them see the consequences of fighting. Peace has always seemed the better alternative to me than to use these claws we have to war.” The griffon sighed. “I suppose that’s why I became an inventor - to help, rather than harm.”

“Your temperament is rare, but valuable to your species, Kalyn. Do not fret overmuch, as your current Matriarch seems to share it.” The Professor cleared his throat. “But there’s nothing we can do for it now, as we’ve said. If you still wish to help me find my friend, we must decide to which area we dedicate our search. There is little time for various reasons to dither.”

“I still say the old aerie,” Quills supplied resolutely.

Novell nodded his agreement. “It feels like the right place to look, if that helps any.”

Professor Search glanced at the pegasus, his expression troubled. “I was afraid you’d agree with that, my boy.”

“Huh? Why?” Novell blinked in confusion.

“Because the aerie is off limits even to griffons,” Kalyn said ominously. “It was abandoned because the mountain they hollowed out was unstable. Earthquakes, bad stone, or something else, no one really knows. It’s taboo to even speak of it in public.” The griffon smiled humorlessly. “Reminds us of a failure - it is something any griffon would rather be left forgotten.”

Whisper chuckled, drawing everypony’s attention. She shook her head, cream-soda mane bobbing with the movement. “Forbidden mountains, huh? Can’t be any worse than the ones we’ve already been to.”

Novell grinned at her despite his worries. “Yeah, I guess you’re right about that.”

*****

They spent the rest of the evening going over the logistics of travelling toward the aerie, including gathering food and gear that they would need on the way and inside the mountain. Quills directed everypony with a refined grace, sending the Professor and Whisper out to buy the supplies they would need, while working with her brother and Pensive to set up a few ideas and leads Scrolls could follow when they left. Kalyn was not idle, either, locking himself into his laboratory and creating something he only described as ‘something that would help.’

With little else to do, Novell pored over the map of the Griffon Kingdoms. From what he could figure out with the foreign letters and markings, the aerie they were going to was little more than an hour or two away by flight. Valleys, lakes, and high mountains littered the intervening space, all of which would have made hiking to the aerie stretch into a week long venture.

Names such as Featherbeak Lake and Two Talon Mountain stood out to him, scrawled with the Professor’s magical writing in Equestrian alphabet. The former was a body of water near the latter, which had been the mountain’s name before it had been scheduled to be hollowed out and made an aerie. The pegasus idly wondered what it would have served as had it been completed.

Their host returned to the living room only once that night, showing them where they would be sleeping. His apartment was only three rooms, with a loft above the main room serving as the griffon’s quarters. Kalyn offered the twins and Whisper that room, claiming his workshop had an extra pallet he could sleep in whenever he was deep into his inventions.

“Are you sure it's fine to take your room?” Quills asked politely, though Novell knew she was only going through the motions. The subtle way her face blanked and her eyes crinkled gave her away.

Kalyn paused at the door, goggles covering his eyes. “Yup, it’ll be fine. Besides, I’m not done with my work down here and I’ll probably wake up early to finish it in the morning.”

“Thank you,” the filly said simply, gathering Whisper and her brother to usher them upstairs.

“Well, I suppose we should also be getting to bed. Early morning tomorrow, new adventure to be had,” the Professor said after a time. The unicorn tucked his notebook away somewhere behind him, but the pegasus was too tired to investigate. As soon as he settled in on the rug near the fire, his eyes closed and he was fast asleep.

*****

All of them woke to Kalyn and the Professor’s urging, the ponies groggily coming to terms with not being able to tell how much time had passed inside the mountain. They gathered their things and left the house, leaving Scrolls with a heartfelt goodbye and a wish of luck. Their griffon companion carried a weird contraption slung across his leonine back, leather and rings of iron swinging back and forth as he instructed the earth pony to remember to lock the doors.

Quills and her brother shared a moment together next, quietly talking to one another in the doorway while the rest of the group slowly roused themselves from the last clutches of dreamland. Novell watched the two out of the corner of his eye, once again feeling sympathy for both of them. Even so, both of the twins looked relatively cheerful.

Only a few citizens of the Invention Aerie were out and about in the city, which further reinforced Novell’s opinion that they should still be in bed for the next several hours. Still, despite his tiredness, a surge of excitement was working its way through him. Being out of the mountain was one thing, but he was looking forward to the flight more, even if he had to carry one of his companions.

The party swiftly entered the large, main entrance to the Invention Aerie, a few caravans beginning to make their way in and out of the city. The further they went, the brighter it became in the cavernous tunnel, crystals illuminated with a golden light increasing in frequency. Quills helpfully explained the phenomenon, saying it was a means to prepare for everypony who was leaving or entering the mountain by steadily adjusting their eyesight. That way, she had said, nopony would be stumbling around blinded by the darkness of the inner city or the brightness of the sun outside.

Eventually, they reached the end of the tunnel, the sun searing their eyes despite the adjusting crystals. It hung directly in front of them, enfolded on both sides by mountains and clouds that began to evaporate with the light of Celestia. It seemed as if the edges of the clouds were becoming undone, constantly churning into invisibility as it parted from the body.

Despite the hour, vendors were already shouting at the caravans moving in and out of the mountain. It was almost like the market in Canterlot, though much smaller as a result of the space the wide, rocky ledge provided. The pegasus was mildly surprised that there would be places to shop even outside of the Aerie, but it made a certain amount of sense. It was a last minute stop to pick up supplies on the way out and a good place to buy a meal before setting forth into the mountain proper.

Novell yawned, inhaling the thin mountain air with a rush of giddy amusement. The wind was blowing against his coat, ruffling his feathers and threading its way through his brown mane. This was where he was loved to be, high in the air with the bottomless sky above him and the ground far below.

They walked to the edge of the cliff, Novell curiously investigating the winding trail that lead from the valley below to the Invention Aerie’s doorway. A few balloons were anchored next to similar platforms of jutting rock, figures milling about around them, but none as big as the zepplin they had rode in on. Even with its size, however, the pegasus couldn’t spot the Southern Belle, its form hidden behind the massive mountain that housed the city behind them.

He regretfully tore himself away from the sight and returned to his companions, watching as Kalyn heaved the device he had brought with him off of his back. It clattered to the stone, separating into three pieces with the griffon’s quick manipulation of straps and hooks. The pegasus stared at the items, one large piece of double-bonded leather with three leather straps dangling from the sides, two on each edge and one crossing the middle.

“What are those?” Quills asked suspiciously, nudging one of the iron hoops at the end of a trap with her hoof.

Kalyn looked up from his ministrations with his beak curved up in a smile. “These are a way to carry you and the other two flightless ponies.”

The filly’s eyes narrowed to slits at that, looking none too happy. “What do you mean?”

The griffon’s smile descended into a sly smirk and he held up one of the doubled leather rectangles. “This goes around your waist, similar to the way a saddle goes on your back. It’s made of two pieces of leather sewn together with heavy duty twine, so it’s very sturdy.” He held up one of the leather strips next. “Then, we can wrap these three straps around your body, all ending in a loop with a piece of metal to go through the holes I cut into the leather earlier. It’s like a belt, you understand. After that, we hook a rope in this large loop of iron here,” he poked the hoop with a claw, “and tow you around. Safer and easier than carrying you in our arms.”

Quills glared at the griffon for several seconds. Finally, she spoke, “Why can’t we just get a chariot and have the pegasi pull it?”

Kalyn held up a claw and opened his mouth to speak, but stopped and looked away as he realized his error. “I...I worked all night on these...”

“Now, now, my boy, it’s perfectly fine. Your idea was sound,” Professor Search assuaged. “Would you happen to know where we may find a chariot? I confess I forgot about them until now. Failing that, perhaps one of the smaller balloons over there?”

The deflated griffon followed the unicorn’s hoof to the vehicles bobbing gently in the wind. “I can rent one... I guess.”

“You definitely should, my boy. You definitely should.”

*****

Kalyn negotiated a price quickly, demonstrating haggling skills that even Quills admitted she admired. Regardless of his monetary victory, the griffon was in a sour mood, reluctantly guiding the balloon inside the basket with Quills, the Professor, and Pensive. Whisper and Novell flew beside them, delighting in the joys of flying despite the slow pace of the balloon.

The white pegasus dipped below the rest of his friends, marveling at the clouds whisking by below him, sending their shadows rippling across the mountainous landscape beneath. Small lakes and rivers shined brightly, standing out amidst the green trees and gray, snow covered rocks.

Trails sinuously snaked their way across fjords and forests, over hills and beside lakes, caravans from every land journeying the well-traveled routes. A few of those below glanced up at them, but otherwise paid them no heed. Novell arched a brow at that. If we saw a balloon in Hoofington, ponies would be staring into the sky with wonder. It’s strange that such a sight could be so common here.

Despite the balloon’s wallowing pace, they made good time once the Professor asked Whisper to delegate the air currents to push them along. Novell flew beside her, helping as best he could with his own wing power. Every pegasus could control the weather, to an extent, but the mare put him to shame with her mastery over the breeze.

He watched the orange pegasus out of the corner of his eye, noticing the slight movements she made with the tips of her feathers. It was almost unconscious for her, or so it seemed to him from her bored expression. Swirley was resting contentedly atop Whisper’s bobbing mane, staring out at the world with that half-lidded stare, uncaring where he went and trusting his owner completely.

Novell tried to mimic her motions, but he did little more than annoy her with his errant gusts, smoothing his attempts out with a contemptible flick of her wings.

“You’re not very good at this,” Whisper said after they had been flying for an hour.

The white pegasus sighed in exasperation as he sent yet another eddy into the wind that jostled the balloon. “Wind was never my forte, in case you hadn’t noticed back in Hoofington. That’s why I never joined you and the other pegasi moving the larger clouds.”

“I know that, but your dad’s the weather coordinator for the whole town. The captain of the sky, reflexes like lightning, and an eagle eye,” she described his father almost reverently. “You had to have gotten something from him.”

Novell scowled. “I take more after my mother than my father.”

Whisper rolled her eyes. “At least she can shape a cloud, even if she gets blown away with the smallest gust.” She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. “Sometimes I wonder if you’re even really a pegasus.”

“Hey, who learned to fly first?” he shot back heatedly, buffeting her with a burst of wind. “That was me, remember? And even when you learned, you just kept crashing into trees.”

“I was practicing advanced techniques!” the mare objected, flicking her wings and sending him into an involuntary barrel roll.

Novell snorted and sent a stream of air from below, forcing Whisper upward and ruffling her feathers uncomfortably. “Advanced techniques on how to break a wing? Likely story.”

Anger glittered in her eyes, Swirley’s shell shifting into a ruddy red color, and that’s when he realized his mistake. Before he could stammer out an apology, a heavy weight pressed onto his back, forcing him to flap harder. Then, before he could recover from that, two opposing currents of air hit him from the sides, spinning him in a tight circle.

The pegasus panicked, trying desperately to control his sudden spin, and plummeted. Air rushed past him and suddenly the world around him turned white. Novell flapped his wings, not knowing which way was up or down in the miasma of what he assumed was a cloud. But why am I still falling? It should have at least slowed me down!

Well, well, well, what have we here? A little pony, far from home. Come to accept my offer, perhaps? a familiar voice whispered in his mind. Novell’s eyes grew wide, no longer feeling the sensation of falling. He glanced around frantically, trying to pinpoint the source of the taunting.

“What’s going on?”

A chuckling laughter echoed around him. Oh, oh, you amuse me, pegasus, as ever. Panic, flap your wings! You’re still falling after all!

Novell found himself doing just that, the air whipping his mane and tail around as the world reappeared. The ground was close, uncomfortably close. Before he could become little more than a stain, the pegasus flared opened his wings and fell into a glide. He slowed enough to begin to flap again, the very tips of the trees teasing his hooves, and looked around.

“Havoc?”

Nothing but the rustle of the trees returned in response. The pegasus shivered as a chill creeped up his back, like twin icicles walking up his spine. He twisted around in mid-air, seeing only a phoenix staring back at him from a branch. It cocked its head and let out a coo.

“I don’t suppose you’ve seen a draconequus around, little guy?” Novell murmured, holding up a hoof to wipe away some sweat. It was shaking. He took a breath, realizing his entire body was shivering uncontrollably, his heart beating hard in his chest like it was about to explode. The pegasus closed his eyes and alighted on a nearby branch, his wings splayed out to keep his balance, and worked to slow his racing pulse. What is this? Why am I barely able to move?

“Chirp!”

“Waaaah!” Novell cried out, nearly falling away from the sudden noise in his ear. With a quick flick of his wings, he regained his balance, this time laying down on the branch instead of standing. He looked toward the direction the sound had come from with his breath coming in short gasps.

Sitting on the branch was a small, baby phoenix staring quizzically at him. It cocked its head at him, similar to how the- the parent! He swung his head back to where he had last seen the other firebird, a bit of trepidation coursing through him. While he couldn’t feel the heat a phoenix made, it would still affect his body like any fire would.

The other one was still where it had been, casually picking at something underneath its wing. Novell breathed a sigh of relief. Dealing with a burn when he needed to be at his best wouldn’t be conducive to a successful mission.

“You don’t care that I’m right next to your baby, huh?” he asked the bird. It paused in its actions and stared up at him with its yellow eyes. “Well, I’m glad you decided not to come after me right now. I don’t know that I could defend myself or even fly away.”

Cheep!”

The pegasus looked down to see the chick nuzzling him. Remarkably, there was no burning from contact with the fiery feathers. Novell grinned involuntarily at the action, feeling the cold fear being driven away by the phoenix’s warm embrace.

Gingerly, he reached down to stroke the chick with one of his wings. He noticed the parent staring at him now, but there was no animosity there - just an interest in his actions. The pegasus wondered how intelligent the phoenix was, because as far as he knew, they were just birds.

“Most birds are usually protective of their young, not letting anypony near them,” he confided aloud. “But you’re just sitting there and watching, aren’t you?”

The phoenix opened its beak and let out a soft coo, the orange crest on its head bobbing slightly. He stared back at it, wondering if it actually understood what he was saying. Suddenly, it flapped its wings, sending sparks shooting down into the underbrush, and looked upwards.

“Noooooooovell!” Whisper’s voice rang out through the forest. “Nooooovell! Where are you?”

Novell reluctantly looked down at the chick and gave it another stroke. “I guess I better get back to my friends. Thanks for the support, little guy.” He glanced at the other phoenix. “And thanks for letting him.”

It winked at him.

“Did you just-?” the pegasus asked, then stopped and smiled. “Thank you.”

Making sure the chick was far enough away that his downdraft wouldn’t send it tumbling, the pegasus lifted off to rejoin his friend.

*****

Novell and his friends made good time after the little accident, Whisper uncharacteristically apologetic. The pegasus had shrugged it off, delving into his thoughts as they moved toward their destination. A lot of things bothered him, not the least of which was Havoc’s telepathic taunting. Then there was how the mare had reacted to his admittedly poor choice of words.

Normally he wouldn’t expect anything less than a slightly harder shove than the ones they had exchanged before the incident, but the deep anger that he’d seen in the mare’s eyes was something new. He wondered if that was Havoc’s fault, too, affecting the minds of his friends like his own back on the draconequus’ mountain. The other possibility was decidedly worse, though - that she was resentful toward him because it had been his fault she’d lost her wing.

True, she had waved his guilt and concerns away when he had found her alive again, but what if that had just been an act? He glanced at the mare out of the corner of his eye, noting her bored, zoned-out expression and Swirley’s natural orange shell color. The two seemed fine now, at least.

Eventually they arrived at the aerie, the two pegasi gently shepherding the balloon toward the sinister looking mountain. It was vastly different from the green and white-clad Invention Aerie’s soft peak, jutting out from the earth like a black talon, twin peaks clawing at the heavens. A valley surrounded it on all sides, dark green foliage covering the ground except for a thin strip of brown immediately at the aerie’s base. Novell shivered, unpleasantly reminded of the Everfree.

“Bring us down further, everypony!” Professor Search called out. “The only entrance is at the foot of the mountain!”

Novell obediently added his wingpower to Whisper’s while Kalyn decreased the amount of flame holding the balloon aloft. Moments later, they touched down in a clearing in front of the forbidden aerie’s threshold, runes etched into the stone around the tunnel’s mouth.

The white pegasus glided to the dirt, his hooves leaving imprints in the light brown soil. He glanced around and tucked his wings in to his sides, staring with a morbid fascination at the darker brown ring stretching around the mountain and out of sight.

Behind him, the rest of the party disembarked from the balloon or landed like he had, each walking up beside him. He looked at them and noticed Quills wasn’t among their number. The pegasus craned his neck to see the earth pony being noisily sick at the forest’s edge.

“Poor filly,” Kalyn observed. “Never seen someone become that ill just from riding a balloon.”

Novell sighed sympathetically. “She gets motion sickness easily. Even riding a train does that to her.”

“I might know some herbs that could help her recover,” Kalyn offered as the filly began wobbly walking toward them, her face a subtle green.

“Please... anything,” Quills said weakly, “anything to get rid of... this. I would do it. Even kiss... a minotaur.”

Professor Search chuckled while the griffon flew off to collect the herbs. “Well, I suppose we do know one, should that ever be the cure.”

The earth pony stared through tired eyes at the unicorn. “I’m... going to... pound you.”

“I’ll do it for you,” Whisper said cheerily, slugging the Professor in the arm with a hoof. Novell winced, knowing how hard the mare could hit, but the old unicorn just rubbed his shoulder and snickered.

“I suppose I deserved that.”

Quills’ mouth twitched, a grin creeping into the edges. “You did, Professor.”

Kalyn returned with a cluster of green tubers and plants clutched to his feathery chest, seeming a little flustered. “Here. Eat one of these.”

The filly accepted the offering gratefully, biting into the tuber and making a face while she did so. “These are disgustingly bitter.”

The griffon clacked his beak and whistled humorously. “It’s supposed to be that way. If it were good, it wouldn’t be helpful.”

“Okay, so we’re here,” Novell pronounced, watching Pensive study the ground near the entrance. “What now?”

“Well, we could go in now, once we get the balloon tied off and battened down,” Kalyn said. “I’ve never hunted around this aerie, but I’m sure it’d be better to go inside before it gets dark. Lots of things aside from Griffons prowl the forests in the Kingdoms, including the Hippogryphs. I don’t fancy trying my claws against one; especially not during the night.”

With that hanging over their heads and the sun still high in the sky, the party went to work. Novell and Whisper flew up and guided the balloon itself as it deflated, supervised by Kalyn, who was most familiar with the mode of transportation. Quills watched from nearby, still feeling shaky from the long hours in the air while Pensive and the Professor lent their magic to keeping the basket steady. Once the task of stowing their ride away and hiding it underneath the brush, Kalyn and the ponies stood together at the rune-inscribed passageway.

“What does it say?” Whisper asked.

“‘Seek not to disturb the Twin Talons’,” the Professor intoned at the same time Kalyn did. The unicorn grinned at his old friend. “Bit of a dire warning there, but griffons have always been a bit grandiose when it comes to their places of history.”

The griffon bowed in recognition of the jab. “At least our towns and cities aren’t terrible puns.”

“Well, I’m going in,” Whisper said suddenly, striding forward with a purposeful trot. Swirley glanced back at them with his eyestalks and blinked before staring ahead again.

Novell followed the impetuous mare before she could disappear into the darkness, the sound of hooves and claws following him. As soon as he entered, a musty aroma hit him, echoes already beginning to play havoc with his hearing.

“Whisper, come back here! Let the Professor go first,” the pegasus said as caught up to the mare. “We need to...”

He trailed off as they entered a large cavern bathed in a cool glow of phosphorous green light. Directly above them were hundreds of tiny, glowing forms hanging from the ceiling, looking all the world like stars in a midnight sky. Novell glanced at his foalhood friend and felt his breath rush away.

Her eyes were glowing in the soft illumination, a look of wonder on her face he hadn’t seen since she had first learned to fly. Whisper’s feathers glistened as she opened them, stirring the cavern with a small gust that caused the lights to slightly sway.

“Ah, glowworms. I never ceased to be amazed by the beauty of the world, even in a foreboding place like this. Life finds a way, I suppose,” the Professor broke Novell out of his trance. “ Come along now, everypony, off we go.”

Novell shook his head slightly, sneaking another glance at the orange mare as Kalyn passed by between them. A jab in his side drew his attention away and down to his attacker.

“C’mon, lovercolt, let’s keep moving,” Quills whispered in his ear.

The pegasus felt himself turn red, hoping the mare hadn’t heard that. He glanced back at her, watching as she followed the Professor further into the mountain’s depths. A sigh came from his side, followed by a snort as the earth pony continued on, shaking her head.

He moved to follow her, hanging his head to hide his embarrassment when he felt a questioning probe in his mind. “Pensive?”

“I am confused, Novell,” the unicorn started, coming up beside him.

“Uh, a-about what?” the white pony asked nervously, hoping his friend wasn’t monitoring his thoughts at that moment.

Pensive looked at him. “I cannot help but listen and feel what you do, Novell, but that is not what I am confused about. It is something... else.”

Novell blinked, his embarrassment forgotten at the unicorn’s tone. “What’s wrong?” The teal pony looked away momentarily, as if hesitant to say anything. He prodded further, curious now. “Did something happen?”

“Yes. No. Both.”

“What do you mean both?” Novell asked gently.

Pensive glanced back at him with an aggrieved look. “It involves the Elder... and Kalyn. There are... things that are not right.” When the pegasus said nothing, the unicorn went on. “The Elder has an... aura around him that is not his own. It is small, but I have noticed it since you found your mate alive and well.”

“M-mate?” the pegasus sputtered. “You mean Whisper? We’re not mates! We’re not even... we’re just friends! She’s like a sister to me.”

“I can read your thoughts, Novell,” Pensive replied matter of fact.

The pegasus sighed, giving up. “What do you mean an aura? Is it dangerous?”

“Not dangerous.” The unicorn shook his head, then paused and considered. “Well, I do not know why I say that, but I know it is of no harm to us. It is simply a difference between most things we see. A ghost, almost a thought... like me,” he said the last in a small voice.

That caught Novell’s attention. “You mean another of Havoc’s... slaves?”

Pensive looked away, frustration a discordant tone in Novell’s mind. “No, not like that. It is... confusing. Suffice it to say, it feels like a memory of something close to me that I am within reach of, but cannot hold. Like-,” the unicorn looked at the pegasus out of the corner of his eyes before looking away again.

“Like what?”

The unicorn coughed. “It is just confusing.”

Sensing his friend was avoiding the subject, Novell gracefully changed the subject. “Okay, what about Kalyn?”

“Ah, this one is even more confusing to me,” Pensive said, his horn lighting up. Novell felt a tug on his saddlebags and looked back just as the unicorn pulled a feather out of it. The pegasus opened his mouth to ask how that had gotten in there when his friend continued, “I found this feather at the entrance of the mountain.”

Novell stared at the levitating object, wondering what was so mysterious about it. “A griffon feather. It probably just fell from Kalyn while we were outside. Their feathers shed, just like mine do and-”

“This feather is not Kalyn’s,” the unicorn interrupted gravely.

The pegasus furrowed his brows. “What do you mean it’s not his?”

“Kalyn’s feathers are brown. This feather is white.”

“But that would mean that another griffon has been here, recently,” Novell said slowly. “So either he lied or he doesn’t know some other griffon is here.”

Pensive frowned. “I believe he does know. When I picked this feather up, I noticed more near the edge of the forest where he picked the herbs for Quills. He hid them in a bush.”

“He hid them?”

The unicorn nodded fervently and began walking toward the rest of the group. “Yes, but that is not all. I also spotted smaller, black feathers in the same area. I was not able to collect one of them, but they were much smaller than either a full grown pegasus’ or griffon’s.”

Novell followed his friend, puzzling it out in his head. “So... maybe it was a griffon and its chick? Or it was hunting?”

“The Elder said that griffon chicks are not let out of the Nesting Aerie,” Pensive replied with a shake of his head. “Regardless, I do not believe that a griffon would let a chick near a mountain that is forbidden to visit.”

The pegasus sighed and walked around a stalagmite that thrust up from the floor, water dripping onto it with an echoing plip. “Why would Kalyn lie? He’s been nothing but helpful since we came to the Kingdoms and he’s the Professor’s friend.”

“I do not know, Novell, which is why I am confused. I do not wish to doubt the word of the Elder that this griffon may be trusted, but your safety and that of the ponies we travel with is paramount in my mind,” the unicorn said, scraping his hoof against the stone as they ascended stair-like rock formations.

“I don’t think he wants to do us harm, Pensive,” Novell said slowly, wincing and flicking his ear as a drop of water hit him. “He’s too...”

“Naive?” the teal pony offered.

The pegasus glanced at his friend sidelong. “I was going to say open, but that works, too. Not that we can really talk.”

“I have learned a lot since joining you, Novell,” Pensive replied quietly, almost a whisper. Even so, it echoed in the confined space, the tunnel no longer as tall as it had been. “I am no longer as naive as you seem to still believe.”

“What do you mea-,” the pegasus began to ask, stopping at the top of the stairs, when a scream issued from the direction the others had gone and interrupted him mid-sentence. “What was that?”

Novell turned away from the teal unicorn, hearing hoofbeats behind him as the two raced through the narrow passageway. The scream came again, a sharp shriek, one that reminded the pegasus of the ones he’d heard in the mist just before meeting Rell. A Hippogryph? Inside the mountain?

His heart thudded in his chest at the possibility, not sure if he was ready to face something like that. He narrowed his eyes, thinking as swiftly as he broke into a gallop, wishing he could take wing and get to his friends quicker. The Hippogryph will be at a disadvantage here in the tunnels, he thought, already beginning to formulate a strategy. It can’t fly, but it still has claws longer than a griffon’s, based on what the Professor told me last night. Even so, it won’t be used to fighting in such close quarters. Maybe we can stop it with magic before it causes any dama-

A shriek so loud it elicited a wince from him echoed all around, the short tunnel having opened up without him noticing. Instead of the narrow corridors, he found himself in a cavernous space, larger than the one with the glowworms in it before - much larger. Darkness enshrouded the inside of the unfinished aerie, aside from a point of light to his left where the others were and the glow of Pensive’s magical effect around his immediate area.

He wasted no more time in awe at the large space, saving it for later as he opened his wings and soared forward, leaving the reassuring circle of illumination. He aimed his body upward, hoping he wasn’t about to hit anything. As he flew, he caught the faintest whiff of mouldering wood below him. Wood? In a mountain? He shook his head. Never mind, not important now.

Another wail pierced the cavern, directly ahead where the light of the Professor’s horn lit up a small sphere of wooden planks. A second later, he was among his friends, dropping with a loud thunk to the wooden scaffolding, ready to fight.

Instead of the vicious beast he had expected to find, however, there was a small puff of black and raven-colored feathers. He drew back from it as it opened its mouth, the wailing cry emitting full in his face. The stench of meat washed over him and he felt a hoof on his shoulder.

“Stay back, boy,” the Professor hissed, “we’re at fault here. Where there’s a Hippogryph youth, there are more. Back away, slowly.”

“The mother should have answered it by now, shouldn’t it have?” Whisper asked worriedly from the side, thankfully unharmed.

Kalyn glanced around nervously. “It doesn’t matter. We should leave, right now. Go back the way we came. We can explore later.”

Novell froze, understanding washing over him as he stared at the griffon. The feathers, the griffon’s actions when he had found them, the secrets. He did know what was going on here and he was trying to hide that fact. He just hadn’t expected to run into the chick here. The Hippogryph shrieked again, though less loudly now, as if it were calming down.

“Kalyn,” the pegasus uttered, staring at the Professor’s old friend. “You know the other griffon here, don’t you?”

“What?” the brown-feathered griffon replied, his eyes flashing with surprise. “Wha- what other griffon?”

Novell frowned, noticing Professor Search staring at him strangely. “Pensive found a griffon feather, but it wasn’t yours. This one was white.”

“Lad, I-,” the old unicorn began, his own eyes flashing guiltily.

The pegasus stared over at his friend now. “Wait, you... knew?”

“I guessed,” the Professor corrected, gesturing at the griffon. “But I trust Kalyn not to lead us to harm. He was careful, but I’ve known him since he was just a youth, so I understood that he was hiding something, if not what exactly it was.”

Another cry, this time much muffled.

“What’s the secret, Kalyn? Why is there a Hippogryph chick here, in this mountain?” Novell asked, feeling the slightest bit betrayed by the Professor’s withholding of information. Lying is necessary, sometimes, to protect, the old unicorn’s voice came to him from the past.

“I trust the Professor's word,” Pensive said as he trotted up into the field of light, expanding it as the two magics fed on each other. “We do not need to ask. Trust is part of friendship, Novell.”

Before any of them could reply, a blur of white entered the lit area, flashing toward the unicorns. Pensive and the Professor doubled over, their magic dousing itself and leaving them in darkness. Novell heard Whisper grunt to his right before a rush of air hit him from that direction.

A surprised squawk came from their assailant at the unexpected resistance, followed by the renewed screeching of the Hippogryph further ahead. The pegasus stood stock still, fear paralyzing him. There was something out in the darkness, maybe the mother, and he couldn’t even see anything.

Before he could shake himself out of his paralysis, something gripped his throat and raised him from the ground. Claws scratched his neck, leaving painful pinpricks as they began to contract.

“Stop!” Kalyn called out. The grip slackened just a bit. “Rell! Stop! It’s me!”

Kalyn? What are you doing here? And why are these ponies with you?” the familiar voice of their griffon guide asked incredulously.

The light returned as the Professor recovered, a rapidly swelling bruise appearing just below his horn. Novell fell to the wooden deck as the white-feathered griffon dropped him, backing up and glancing between all of them.

Kalyn’s beak fell into a frown, his tone placating. “We’re here to find a friend of a friend. I didn’t mean to bring them to the nest-,”

The griffon cut off as Rell speared him with her gaze. “You gave your word that you wouldn’t tell.”

“I didn’t betray anyone!” Kalyn said frustratedly. “I didn’t expect you to have moved so close to the entrance of the aerie! That’s stupid, even if this place is taboo to explore.”

Rell looked away uncomfortably at the last. “I had to teach Rez to hunt.”

“Can somepony please tell me what’s going on?” Whisper growled, her wings open in preparation for another blast of wind. “Are we fighting or what?”

The female griffon started to speak when a small, black shape entered the sphere of light. The Hippogryph stared suspiciously at them, huddling close to Rell. Instantly the griffon’s face softened, one claw stroking the chick behind its feathery ears.

Now that Novell had a chance to examine the chick, he realized it was larger than he had originally thought. Black feathers with a blue tint covered most of its body, aside from the legs and the back half of its body. The pair of legs in the front were claws reminiscent of a birds, while the back two ended in hooves. Novell’s eyes widened, remembering Captain Skycrasher’s description. Body of a stag, head and wings of a bird. The description was an apt one, he noticed. A long, sharp beak unlike a griffon’s short, curved one extended from its face and wings similar to Novell’s own were tucked to its sides, large on the Hippogryph’s young form.

But the most interesting feature was the two nubs of premature antlers protruding from the top of its skull. Hippogryphs could use magic just like a unicorn could, though at a lesser effectiveness, thanks to the antlers. Even now, Novell could see they were glowing faintly as they reacted with the unicorn’s weir light.

“We’re not fighting,” Kalyn said, matching glares with Rell when she was about to say otherwise. “We’re not fighting, because they can be trusted to keep your secret just as I did.”

The white griffon’s eyes glittered dangerously. “I could stop them from ever talking. No one would miss them here in the mountain.”

Kalyn moved in between the ponies and Rell. “I won’t let you. You’d have to draw your claws on me, too, and I know you wouldn’t kill a nestmate. Not you.”

Novell held his breath, watching the stand off between the two griffons. The ghostly grip of a paw around his throat caused him to gulp involuntarily. This was dangerous in so many more ways than he thought their rescue could get. The tense moment continued for several minutes interrupted only by slight warblings from the Hippogryph.

Finally, Rell relaxed, though she still carried a wary look in her eye. “They’re here for a friend? There’s nothing in this mountain except me and Rez. I checked.”

“But you don’t know everything about this Aerie, Rell,” Kalyn replied, his tail no longer swishing in agitation. “The Professor here has studied the old maps. He knows about the inner quarter.”

“It’s impossible to get into,” the other griffon growled, drawing the Hippogryph tighter to her.

Kalyn shook his head. “No, you just need to know the trick to get in, something we griffons don’t even have.”

“And these ponies do?” Rell sneered.

“Indeed, Lady Rell.” Professor Search nodded with an easy smile. “It just takes a bit of magic.”