• Published 3rd Mar 2022
  • 1,068 Views, 13 Comments

Tailor Girl - Undome Tinwe



A noblestallion learns a valuable lesson about not judging a mare by her origins.

  • ...
4
 13
 1,068

He was a boy, she was a girl, can I make it any more obvious?

Argent Flash took a moment to mourn the loss he was about to endure.

This was their special place, a dark but still well-kept and clean alley — his beloved was quite vocal about her dislike of dirt and grime. It was hidden enough to lend the thrill of secrecy to their encounters, and gave them a path away from those under his parents' employ to make their way to the Fashion District.

Alas, it had all been for naught, and now, it was time for him to face the consequences of his actions.

She trotted into view, looking as radiantly beautiful as she always was. The dress she wore was one of her own design, he knew, stitched by her own hoof with more skill than most mares twice her age.

His heart raced as Rarity smiled at him. "Argent, darling! It's so lovely to see you again!"

Argent was helpless to resist as his secret lover trotted up to him and wrapped her hooves around his neck, pulling him into a passionate kiss. "Rarity, my love. Your dress is almost as lovely as you are today."

That elicited a pleased titter from Rarity. "Oh, how I've missed this. You always know how to say the kindest things, my heart."

"You make it so easy to praise you." Another pang wracked Argent's heart, and it must have shown on his face, as Rarity frowned at him.

"Dearest, what's the matter?" Concern marred her pretty face as Rarity pulled away, her beautiful eyes piercing directly into his soul. "Is something wrong at home? Is your sister sick again?"

"No, Gilded is fine." Argent swallowed. "It's us. My parents have discovered our tryst."

Rarity let out a gasp. "Oh no!" she cried out, raising one hoof dramatically to her forehead. "Do they not approve, as we feared?"

"They do not," Argent confirmed. "I tried to make them understand how lovely of a mare you are, that you are worthy to be my beloved even if you hold no titles or land, but they insist that I marry somepony of my own station."

"Alas, we always knew we were star-crossed lovers." Without warning, Rarity leaned forward and nuzzled him. "Fear not, I am sure our love shall prevail through this awful trial, and we shall emerge stronger than ever. We may have to be more discreet in the future, however."

Argent swallowed, his heart pounding even harder in his chest. "I... I am sorry, Rarity, but I cannot risk my position. I love you with all my heart, but with my parents watching, I cannot risk being seen with a commoner."

Rarity froze. "W-What are you saying, darling?"

"I— It would be better if we stopped seeing one another." Argent stepped back, bowing his head in shame. "I truly am sorry, Rarity. I shall never forget you."

Horror suffused Rarity's expression. "No, please, Argent," she begged, and each word cut Argent's heart into smaller pieces. "We can make this work. Our love is stronger than this, stronger than what this horrid society thinks of me."

"I have to think of my own future as well," Argent said. "I have a duty to marry for money and status, and I thought, maybe, I could find some compromise to keep you with me, but it is impossible. I'm sorry."

"Please..." Rarity whispered. "One day I shall be the lady I am meant to be, and we can be wed. We only have to hide until then."

It hurt to crush her dreams, but Argent couldn't have her stalking him after this. "A mare from Ponyville could never be successful enough to make it in Canterlot," he said, far more harshly than he intended. Still, it was the truth, and it was kinder to share it with her now.

"No." Rarity shook her head, determined. "I'll show you. One day, I'll be worthy of your parents, and we can shout our love from the mountaintop together."

"We have to face the facts," Argent pleaded. "Please, for your sake, move on. Remember our love, but don't let it define you. Just as I will cherish the time we had together."

It was foolish of him, but then again, this whole endeavour had been foolish. Argent leaned in and kissed Rarity one last time. "Goodbye, my love," he said softly to the crying mare. "Live a good life for me, please."

"I'll never forget you," Rarity promised. "I love you, Argent."

Argent didn't reply, couldn't reply, as he walked away from Rarity. His heart was breaking, and he knew he wouldn't have the strength to keep going if he looked back, and so kept going until he couldn't hear her crying anymore.

And then, he wept.