• Published 19th Jan 2022
  • 821 Views, 126 Comments

Twilight's Blog - Frith



A pony with an inquisitive mind journals about her experiences, of magic, friendship, hippology, adventure and peril, sharing a snapshot of pony culture for the benefit of the inequine architects of this WWW she's found.

  • ...
0
 126
 821

V May

Devious Plans

May 1: I went calling on Rainbow Dash with my idea to throw a surprise party for Pinkie. At first she wasn't too keen on the idea, seeing how hard it was to keep Pinkie in the dark and how depressed she became when she found us all avoiding her last time we tried to throw a surprise party for her. But when I outlined my plan, Rainbow Dash was all for it. Rainbow Dash likes a good prank, and throwing a surprise party for a surprise-party-pony like Pinkie Pie is hard to beat.

One way to surprise Pinkie is to enlist outside help. Rainbow Dash is going to use her connections to track down Cheese Sandwich and today I wrote to Pinkie Pie's sister Maud Pie. Maud is on a rock research trip in the Galloping Gorge (which cuts through the Equestrian Shield) where she is gathering data for her rocktorate in rock science. I want Maud to be a surprise in the surprise. The date that we choose to throw this party will depend on her availability. That's the when. There is also the where and how to roll in the surprises in waves. I need to speak to Rarity next. She's good with theater.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Voice of Fire

May 2: Overall, I think the lesson with Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom went well.

Apple Bloom followed Zecora's instructions and turned chopped reeds into a goopy smelly liquid that shot out of her flask, ignited, and stood for an instant as a red and blue column of flame that just about touched the ceiling of the grand hallway. Scootaloo was enthralled. She calls it Apple Bloom's Voice of Fire. That was not the intended result. I was expecting an epoxy glue.

Scootaloo's project is to design and build a better trailer for her scooter. The one she has is very sturdy, but it isn't light or attractive. I told her that with laminated plant fibers, she can take the sturdy frame of her trailer, cut out the extra weight while retaining key structural components, and build a light weight chassis over that. She gave me a blank look. OK. Trying again, I said, draw some pictures of what the most awesome, and cool, (and something else, I can't remember what it was Dash says), trailer would look like. Then take apart a spare trailer and put enough of it back together so that holds together and can carry a full load. Next, on that frame, weave a mesh structure based on the best drawing. The plant fibers will be laminated to the mesh structure with Apple Bloom's epoxy. Paint comes last.

She made several drawings. I think that soon she is going to need a wind chamber.

Sweetie Belle sweated hard over the sand and grit. It's not easy getting that many tiny rocks to move at the same time. The tourmaline grit is quite pretty, so she took that jar home with her to practice on.

I gave each of them their very own wax canvas field notebooks so they can track their progress, work out problems and build on their discoveries. Scootaloo has started hers with her design ideas for her 'cool' trailer; Apple Bloom has Zecora's procedures written out with notes as to where it was she probably went wrong; Sweetie Belle's notebook has a series of squiggly lines that mean something to her, I think a kind of combination of musical and magical notation, by feel.

After that, we celebrated out on the smaller balcony with bowls of vanilla oat swirl ice cream and called it a day. Or I called it a day. They ran off to do something or other. I spread my wings and sunbathed.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

This Will Be No Picnic

May 3: Cheese Sandwich is hard to find. Where he's been is easy enough, he leaves a trail of confetti in every town, village, hamlet and watering hole he visits. Rainbow Dash is still inquiring but it isn't easy. We'd have to know the whereabouts of a party that is needed before it happens.

I had a chat with Rarity. She likes the 'chain of surprises' plan. For the kernel, innocuous activity, Rarity thinks a picnic is hard to beat. Pinkie wouldn't miss a picnic if she can help it and we can set the date of the picnic with her, just making sure that the day we pick is the day Maud can show up.

I was thinking Maud could be the first surprise, but Rarity threw cold water on that. When Maud arrives, Pinkie might be too distracted with catching up with her sister to notice any of the other surprises.

Rarity had an idea. She suggested we ask Mayor Mare to declare a Picnic in the Fields day, that way the day will be fixed in advance. I didn't think that would quite work since we are planning Pinkie's surprise party, and inviting the town to a Picnic Event would confuse ponies. Many would wonder if we were trying to hijack the community picnic. But getting the town to attend the surprise party would be a plus. That could be the final surprise.

I left Rarity to work out the sequence some more. This event is going to require timing and coordination. I should speak to Fluttershy to see if she has any furry or feathered friends who could act as messengers.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

The Elusive Cheese

May 4: One of Dash's contacts spotted Cheese Sandwich! Seems his 'cheesy sense' is telling him that Ponyville is calling, but this time he doesn't know when to arrive. He left a return address, and if I my letter doesn't catch him before he leaves, he's going to leave a forwarding address.

I wrote to him right away, explaining that it's a 'string of surprises' surprise party, and that he's one of the surprises. The tricky part is that it's Pinkie Pie we want to surprise, so we need to plan well. The date depends on when Pinkie's sister can come to town. More details to follow...

I explained the plan to Fluttershy. Fluttershy doesn't like getting startled by surprises, but since she's in on the surprise, it won't be too startling, and Pinkie does like surprises. She also likes the chain of events concept and how it could be considered open air theater. So she's in.

Fluttershy suggested that maybe, if the town participated, they could sing? 'Happy surprise party' or something? A Flash Mob! If we could pull that off! Fluttershy is going to see with Rarity and the Ponytones if they can find enough ponies to pull off something like that. Maybe singing a tune everypony knows, like something from Hinny of the Hills or some other Bridleway musical.

It's beginning to look like the setting is going to be a picnic in a popular picnic spot. And yes, Fluttershy thinks she can rely on several of her feathered and fuzzy friends to deliver messages.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Salt In My Tea

May 5: I was feeling a bit antsy and snappish, so I joined Rarity and Fluttershy at the Spa this morning. Pinkie wasn't there. I think she and Dash were out pranking Applejack, putting newsprint in her hatband and attaching noise makers to the crankshafts of her wagons. They also switched my salt and sugar and hid a party cannon in my current reading pile. Those nuts. Thankfully, I salted my tea and got covered in confetti after the spa.

Even though Pinkie Pie wasn't there, we didn't discuss her surprise party. Ponyville is a small town. Word can spread very quickly.

After the spa I dropped in on Applejack to let her in on the plan and to get her up to speed. It would be great if she could cook up a bunch of treats for the crowd. We discussed Maud Pie and how to get her to the picnic without Pinkie seeing her. Applejack thinks she could build a crate for Maud that Rarity could decorate as a gift box. One way or another, Big McIntosh could be helpful carting Maud from the train station to the picnic.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Waiting for Word

May 6: No word yet from Maud. Delivery of a letter addressed to "Maud Pie, Galloping Gorge, Equestria" must be a bit of a challenge. It's also a challenge to cook up enough food for a surprise party and to deliver it into an open pasture without the guest of honor noticing. We need a cake too. That requires baking, a lot of baking, right under Pinkie's nose.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Brainstorming Session

May 7: Scroll and quill in hoof, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and I held a brainstorming session in the Carousel Boutique. These are the elements we need to assemble and orchestrate:

Maud Pie
Cheese Sandwich
A group picture, signed, framed, as a spur of the moment gift.
Suddenly singing ponies converging on Pinkie
Sky writing: 'Pinkie Pie' and 'Surprise'.
Sonic Rainboom? (no, will blow everything over)
Food, "catered to" and then delivered by various ponies, such as maybe Lyra, Cheerilee + school, Lily, Amethyst Star, Minuette... who turn up on cue
Decorations
Party cannons?
Music
Messaging/cues
Transportation of surprise guests and food.

If the Cakes could "cater" to several ponies, and those ponies carry the food in baskets to their "picnics" that just so happen to be near ours, that would solve the food transportation problem. On cue, they would walk from their picnic blankets to Pinkie, bearing food.

Once we had spread our picnic blanket we could start by giving the picture to Pinkie. While she's wondering why, Dash's Wonderbolt Reserves could write Pinkie Pie in the sky. While she's still wondering why, singing ponies converge and now the pegasi continue to write: Surprise! The song ends and more ponies converge, this time with food. The sky now reads Pinkie Pie Surprise! Party. The cakes arrive with a big cake, Cheese Sandwich leaps out. Party chaos ensues, "All are invited" is written in the sky. Big McIntosh arrives with a very large gift box with Maud Pie inside. Last element: music. Provided by DJ Pon3.

We're going to need Cheese to pull this off. Otherwise, who knows how or where we'd hide the party hats and banners. Behind brush piles? We'd better leave that problem to Cheese.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

It's In the mail

May 8: I got a letter today from Maud Pie! Her reply was short and to the point: "Good idea. I will arrive at the Ponyville train station at noon in 14 days."

She wrote the letter three days ago, that leaves 11 days.

I sent the date and our party plan to Sandwich. We now have a deadline.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Picking Up Speed

May 9: We're in a bit in that spot between steeplechase hurdles. We're gathering up for the leap over the baking obstacle, but we're waiting for Cheese to lean into the saddle. The Cakes are about due to call on Applejack for apples. I asked Applejack to explain the plan to them. They will know who would make good mules, ponies they often cater and who could smuggle in the party treats to our picnic.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Ring Fling

May 10: Today the weather was chilly and rainy. After Rainbow Dash had finished organizing the downpour, she and Applejack dropped by for a few rounds of Ring Fling in the mane hallway. The stony silence of the Treecastle was broken by the wooden knock of one ring knocking another out of play and of the jocular mock anguish of the pony losing a round. I paused my reading on deception strategies in insects, got out a big pitcher of mint iced tea and three cups and went down to watch.

Rainbow Dash knows a few ponies who could do the sky writing, so that's a go. Applejack hasn't spoken to the Cakes yet, but she will do so soon. Either when they make their next apple order, or she'll find a reason to go the Sugarcube Corner on business.

After an hour of heavy competition, Dash went off to clear the clouds and Applejack headed back to the farm.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Intermission

May 11: A pile of books, a balcony high above the hustle and bustle on the ground, blue skies and the day just flew right on by. Now the moon is up and the constellations are riding high. Time for some sleep.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Seven Days

May 12: Another key piece to the Pinkie Plan fell into place today -- I received a letter from Cheese Sandwich. It was somewhat enigmatic. He wrote: "A surprise in a cake as pretty as you please, watch out Pinkie 'cause here comes the Cheese!" Nothing else, no details or plans. It looks like we're in for surprises too.

The surprise is next Tuesday. Time to start cooking.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Working out the details

May 13: Applejack and the Cakes are calculating what they need to bake and when it needs to be baked. Items such as apple chips, beet pulp cookies and oatmeal swirl ice cream can be prepared now; other items such as the cream cheese icing and pies can be cooked a little later; and perishable food like carrot and turnip sticks and spring green salad have to be prepared last.

A Pinkie picnic surprise party should have food, right?

The Cakes have started to gently sound likely ponies to see if they'd be willing to serve as picnic food mules. They have a structure for hiding a pony in a cake, they just need to assemble it and to layer it with cake and icing. That's probably going to be the last thing they do. It's easier if Cheese is already in it when they apply the icing.

Zecora is in charge of the beverages.

Rarity and the rest of the Ponytones Quartet have chosen a song and have surreptitiously organized a crowd of singers. They can't do a rehearsal together, so each is practicing their parts at home.

I'm going to invite all five of my closest pony friends over for a "game night" evening after next. That will give me the chance to suggest a picnic and for us to plan it for Tuesday. I wonder if I could suggest to Pinkie that she cook up a big batch of her rock candy, with the idea that we could make rock candy necklaces during picnic, for fun.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Thick as Thieves

May 14: So far, Lyra, Lily, Amethyst Star and Roseluck are in on the food wave part of the plan. The Cakes are having them drop by Sugarcube Corner to order various baked goods, all from a predetermined list. The Cakes have made a mental tab of what they will need to bake, and it doesn't get written down as a list until a "food mule" orders it. That way, to Pinkie, it looks like business as usual.

I've invited all five of my friends over for a game night here tomorrow night. Only Pinkie is unaware that it's to set the date for her picnic.

Wheels are spinning!

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Games Ponies Play

May 15: The whole gang was here. I set out alfalfa cubes, turnip sticks, apple chips and mint tea for us to snack on. Pinkie brought over a few jugs of her spring punch too. Soon we were chatting and laughing over games of Bundle of Sticks and Ring Fling.

I was trying to pull equal numbers of each color from the stack, Rarity looked to be strategically removing just the right sticks to leave the stack in an attractive climbing spiral pattern, Fluttershy seemed focused on rescuing the low-value sticks, and Pinkie looked to be snatching out the first stick she saw as fast as she could. Meanwhile, Dash and Applejack were making those felt-cushioned rings streak down the hall, whacking the opposing rings so hard they were bouncing off the walls. Spike was waiting to challenge the victor, and while he waited, finding where the rings flew off to.

I brought up the picnic idea. "Say, it's been a while since we've had a picnic, we should have one soon." There was a blur of pink next to me as Pinkie snatched out another stick. Somehow the pile remained standing. She spat out her stick (lips only, no horns, wings, tails or tongues!). "Ooh! A picnic! Let's have one tomorrow!"

My turn. I studied the pile. I needed another yellow one to make a perfect set. Or I could try for prime numbers instead. So circled the pile looking for a green stick. "Not tomorrow. I have the three fillies coming over to continue their private instruction. I think it's going to rain tomorrow as well. Dash?"

Dash was in mid swing. Her throw missed Applejack's ring; it bounced off a wall and would have flown out the front door if we hadn't closed it. "Aw shucks! Yes, there's a little spring shower planned for tomorrow. And another on Monday."

I found a likely looking green stick. Pinkie looked cross. "Two daytime showers? Why so often? Why can't it rain just at night?"

Applejack glided her third ring into a scoring position, slightly in front of her other ring in the bullseye. "Crops need waterin' That means small, frequent showers." Dash glared at Applejack's rings. "Yeah, and the pegasi mostly work during the day." She took careful aim.

I pulled out the green stick. The stack stood. I'm going to need 1 gold, 2 sapphire, 3 emerald, 5 ruby and 7 diamond for a perfect game. Rarity's turn.

Dash's ring slid noiselessly down the hall, hit both Applejack's rings with a hearty wooden 'crack', and all three rings went bouncing off the walls to the far end of the hall. The score was still zero-zero. Spike asked: "How about the day after tomorrow?" I'm going to let Spike in on the plan tomorrow.

While Rarity expertly extracted a white stick that was sticking out like a cowlick, Fluttershy replied. "Oh no, not then. That's bath day for the critters, I've scheduled the bear for a realignment for his back pain and there's the prenatal exam for the jackalope doe. I think they're finally going to have kits!"

Applejack took aim. Fluttershy studied the pile. Pinkie asked: "How about Tuesday? The Cakes have asked me to watch Pumpkin and Cup Cake in the morning, but I'm free all afternoon. We could make it a picnic lunch." (Victory!)

Applejack's ring stopped in the bullseye. Fluttershy delicately rescued a yellow stick with just a little lip tremor.

Picnic lunch next Tuesday was fine for everypony. I asked Pinkie if she had any rock candy. "Making rock candy necklaces next Tuesday in the sunshine would be fun." With at least three days for her to make rock candy, I think we're in for a lot of fun.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Singing in the Rain

May 16: After the fillies had demonstrated their progress in their tasks (progress is slow, but it's there), I went for a stroll in the rain.

The raindrops made a pitter patter of tiny splashes on my back, slicked down my mane and ran down my face. It felt good. I closed my eyes as I walked, letting my memory guide me for several strides before I'd peek, just enough to adjust my course. The slick, fresh streets were mostly empty, but here and there through open windows I could hear bits of a song from Hinny of the Hills. The Ponytones have made their selection and I bet it's 'Just Live For Today'.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Rock Slide

May 17: Picnic in two days! I don't think we've ever been so keen on a picnic before. I hope Pinkie doesn't find that suspicious.

Pinkie has been cooking up a small rock slide of candy, and getting underhoof while the Cakes rush about baking up all their orders. I told Pinkie we could show up at noon with Applejack's wagon to help ferry it all to the picnic. She thought that was a great idea. I also hinted that I thought there was more than enough rock candy here to keep us busy. About that, she wasn't so sure. This better not require two trips.

The other picnic groups are set to arrive before us and take the hilltops, leaving us a spot nestled between two rolling hills. Ponies prefer open spaces with a view, to see danger in time to run away. But we don't want Pinkie to see the surprises arriving, and the low spot make for a natural amphitheater, for open air theater.

With Pinkie foal-sitting it'll be hard for her to reserve a spot. And with all of us arriving together, choosing that low spot is going to be easier.

I mailed out a final letter yesterday to Cheese and Maud, confirming the date and time. Big McIntosh will pick up Maud Pie at the train station and the Cakes will be waiting for Cheese Sandwich at Sugarcube Corner.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

The Final Lap

May 18: Nearly everything that can be set is ready. Tomorrow we picnic in the east meadow.

Applejack built a gift box and Rarity made it look stunning. It's on Big McIntosh's cart and ready to roll to the train station. There's a sheet over it right now which is just as well -- it's so glittery that if the sun hits it, I think everypony clear across Ponyville will see it.

Today Applejack was delivering pies, fritters, and caramel apples to some of the 'food mules'. We might end up with too much food. Better to have too much than not enough.

The Cakes are on the cake phase of the bake off. They're making cupcakes, muffins, donuts and cakes today. The icing is already made, and as soon as the baked goods cool, they will get decorated. Except for the hollow cake for Cheese. They'll stack the frame with cake and puffed oat cubes and slather on the icing after Cheese is inside. They'll have to work fast, they have only one hour at most.

Checklist.

Maud Pie contacted and confirmed. Check.
Date set for picnic to coincide with Maud's arrival. Check.
Cheese Sandwich recruited and confirmed. Check.
Cakes recruited. Check.
Zecora recruited. Check.
Ponytones recruited. Check.
Skywriters recruited by Rainbow Dash. Check.
Fluttershy providing a messenger critter. Check.
Applejack providing extra treats. Check.
Maud-sized gift box. Check.
Big McIntosh to meet Maud at the train station. Check.
Rock candy. Check.
Keeping Pinkie occupied. Check.
Somehow keeping it a surprise. So far so good.

We dropped the group portrait idea. It's better to do that as group project, not as a surprise.

We are so close to the goal! The Map better not call us.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

A Surprise Party To End All Surprise Parties

May 19: We all arrived at nearly the same time at Sugarcube Corner, just as the Cakes were returning from their final delivery. Freed from her foal-sitting duty, Pinkie emerged with bowl after bowl of rock candy and stacked them in Applejack's cart. It all fit, but it made for a dazzling pile of rock candy, a full spectrum of sweet facets glittering in the sunlight. We were all a bit jittery as we tightened our saddlebags and hoisted our baskets. Just in time, I thought to ask Pinkie to bring her camera, waving my hoof in the general direction of the blinding kaleidoscope of rock candy. Pinkie zipped back inside and emerged victorious with her camera. All set, we made a bee-line for the east pasture.

There were a lot of ponies out picnicking. It looked like the whole town was there. Even the school was having a picnic. Applejack and Dash got distracted by a game of netball but fortunately I spotted our destination and got them on track. We tried to avoid running over ponies as we made our way past ponies sunning, eating, reading! (I tripped over Spike), rolling in the grass and generally relaxing.

We arrived and unloaded all the candy (I think drawing many eyes our way). While we set up our blanket, Applejack headed back to park the cart off the field, back the way we came. By the time she had returned, I had organized the bowls by wavelength into a glittering crescent and everything was ready. "Pinkie! Take a picture!" I suggested we make a necklace to wear before lunch. As we finished stringing rock candy, Pinkie snapped more pictures and Fluttershy released a blue jay that flown in to see her. Suddenly, somewhere in the crowd, a pony broke out in song.

Though fillies there be
Who never foresee
That the future holds anything pleasant;
Who grimly cast
Their eyes on the past,
And who gaze all aghast at the present!
The golden rule
For sage or fool,
For princess and pony and peasant,
Is, come what may,
At work or play,
To live, just live for today!

More and more ponies joined in and started walking toward us from all sides. It was fabulous. Pinkie was in shock. They were singing 'Just Live For Today' from Hinny of the Hills. Pinkie knew this song well, we'd all been to a private showing of Hinny of the Hills on Briddleway thanks to Rarity.

Sing hay! Sing ho!
There's no time like the present!
Sing ho! Sing hay!
There's no day like today!

They sang the entire song. They were at least fifty ponies strong by the final verse. I had trouble counting, I had tears in my eyes.

When a mare's depressed,
Not feeling her best,
She'll lament over yesterday's sorrow,
And brood, what's more,
On worries galore
That the fates have in store for the morrow.
Yet mares have power
From every hour
Some gleams of sunshine to borrow;
So don't delay
But find a way
To make the most of today!

Sing hay! Sing ho!
Take no thought for the morrow!
Sing ho! Sing hay!
Live, just live for today!

They ended by looking and pointing straight up. High above up us, two pegasi were spelling "PINKIE PIE" in huge letters made with clouds. There was a thunder of hooves pounding in applause all around, then suddenly more ponies sprang up bearing baskets and saddle bags stuffed with treats, plates and cups. The Cakes thought of everything. Zecora trotted up with a wagon. She brought the punch, the water and the iced tea. And she brought ingredients to make more.

The pegasi hadn't finished. I grabbed Pinkie and pointed at the sky. They were putting the finishing touches on the words "SURPRISE PARTY". Pinkie's mouth formed a huge "O". Then she started talking so fast I couldn't tell when one sentence ended and the next began. I caught a few words, like 'acting strange', 'so many', 'picnics everywhere' and 'cake'. Then the crowd parted as another cart crested the rise. The Cakes had arrived.

I slipped Pinkie's camera over to Rainbow Dash and whispered, "take pictures!" I'd have done it myself but I think Dash is better at it. Dash was way ahead of me. She had thought to ask a few photographer ponies to document the event, and through Scootaloo, Featherweight was on the job too. I think we'll end up with enough pictures for a scrapbook.

The Cakes, with their foals in their saddlebags and a giant cake in their cart, beamed as they pulled up in front of Pinkie. In the sky, the pegasi were putting the finishing touches to the last two words: "ALL INVITED". All around ponies cheered and started chanting: "Cut the cake! Cut the cake!"

Pinkie leaped up onto the front of the cart and held up a hoof for silence. In the quiet she pointed at a tag on the cake and announced, "Wait! There's something written here. It says, 'To give this party a special zing, let me out, pull my string!'"

In the crowd, a pony called out: "Pull it!"

Pinkie pulled the string, then dived for cover as the cake began to spin, throwing icing in all directions. In the center, out popped Cheese Sandwich wearing the lid like a hat, playing an accordion and firing party cannons. (I breathed a sigh of relief. He made it!)

Some of the cannons provided instant party decor, others confetti, streamers and balloons, and another tossed up a shower of party hats that floated down under parachutes. DJ Pon3 appeared like magic, her turntables spinning and her hoof ready on the needle. Cheese Sandwich gave Pinkie a hug, grabbed a microphone and made an announcement. "Hold your horses, mares, stallions and foals! Before we start this party for the Premier Party Pony of Ponyville, the Surprise Picnic Party to end all surprise parties," (loud cheers) "there is just one more surprise, and it's almost here!" He pointed and all eyes turned to Big McIntosh, yoked to his cart and steadily plowing through the crowd, straight to Pinkie. In his cart was the box Rarity and Applejack had built, hidden under a sheet.

Pinkie dashed through the crowd, grabbed the edge of the sheet and yanked it off. The natural amphitheater made by our chosen location magnified the "oohs" and "aahs" from all present. Big McIntosh came to a stop at our picnic blanket. Applejack called out, "Right on time." Big McIntosh replied, "Eyup."

"Open it Pinkie!" "What's inside?"

Pinkie Pie studied the sparkling box with mock gravity. She grabbed the giant ribbon with her teeth and gave it a tug. The box remained closed, but as the ribbon fell off, it revealed a door handle. Pinkie did the obvious thing, she knocked. "Come on out!" The door handle turned and Pinkie gasped and scooted away, falling on her back. The crowd caught its breath. Out stepped Maud Pie. "Surprise."

Pinkie sat down right there and burst into tears.

I think my heart stopped beating for a moment there. I think everypony's heart stopped. But then in an instant, Pinkie leaped up, grabbed her sister, grabbed the microphone and with tears still gushing, announced "This is the BEST SURPRISE PARTY EVER!" and bear-hugged everypony in sight. Cheese Sandwich set off a few fireworks to punctuate the fluffy white words written in the sky, Dj Pon3 applied a needle to a disk and the party started.

Cheese delivered a giant party. There was a food fight with cream pies. Rock candy necklace making event. Fireworks, some from Cheese, some from Zecora. A conga line a hundred ponies long with sprinkler fireworks (resulting in a lot of singed manes). Pinatas, games, balloon animals, cake juggling...

I'm all partied out and Spike is fast asleep, but through my small balcony door I can hear that this party isn't winding down anytime soon. I've kept my rock-candy necklace as a souvenir and I have another one I'll give to Pinkie tomorrow. As will each of us.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

The Morning After

May 20: The east meadow is littered with sleeping ponies in party hats and rock candy necklaces. Maud caught the morning train back to Galloping Gorge (wearing a fresh rock candy necklace, check!). Pinkie looked a little bleary eyed. Half my friends looked a little bleary eyed, but Maud looked as calm and steady as always. Dash was nodding off the whole time. I'll ask her tomorrow to round up the pictures. Already there are special editions of the Ponyville Express and the Foal Free Press, full of pictures of the event. We'll make a scrapbook party out of it! Oh, that will be fun! I have the quills and the inks, Rarity has the glitter, I'll write to Maud for a poem, Fluttershy could put in a few bluejay feathers, Pinkie could throw in streamers and deflated balloons... We'll make a book!

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Tea And Book Planning

May 21: Over tea at Rarity's boutique, we held a scrapbook planning and brainstorming session. Pinkie thinks it's a great idea and wanted to start it right away but we're still waiting for all the pictures to come in. Apart from the few that were printed in the papers, most are not printed and some are not even developed yet. It was an all night party and ponies are catching up on their sleep and on their duties.

Pinkie was wearing, and eating, her seven rock-candy necklaces. Five from us, one from Maud and one from Spike. The one Spike made was extra sparkly. Spike has a knack for selecting stones and he may have grown and tuned the rock candy a bit. We were discussing the paper for the scrapbook.

I want them to be good, thick, archival-quality, cotton fiber pages. Pinkie wants paper to be all colors and the book to have tassels, lots of tassels. For bookmarks. For every page. Rarity insists that the color scheme for the book should be pink, baby blue and yellow.

Dash thinks we should have all the pictures in our hooves the day after tomorrow. That gives Rarity enough time to put together an assortment of ribbons, glitter, sequins and her book-making kit. Pinkie will bring the paints and well as vanilla, chocolate, nutmeg, cinnamon and other spices, to scent the pages. And frosting too. I have doubts about the frosting idea.

Fluttershy is going to press and wax some flowers, leaves and grasses, and a blue jay feather. I'm bringing the quills and inks. Spike will do much of the writing. Applejack is going to make the book covers and spine out of apple tree wood, she just has to decide what to carve into the wood. Dash suggested decorating the covers with polished rock candy. Pinkie will have to promise not to eat it.

We'll do this in the Treecastle. There's more room and the rock floors will be easier to clean if we make a mess. I wrote to Maud Pie to ask for a poem. We can always add that in when it gets here.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Picking Out Supplies

May 22: I sent Spike to Canterlot to pick up paper for Pinkie's Surprise Picnic Party Scrapbook. Twenty-five pages of each color, in two shades of pink (raspberry and rose), yellow (pale gold) and cerulean (not baby) blue. Rarity, the color expert.

Spike and I know a shop in Canterlot that has the very best in stationary and art supplies. While he's there, he'll pick up some archival quality colored inks and calligraphy quills. Spike often acts as my secretary and he really knows his quills.

Rarity has the necessary thread. Applejack is hard at work on the book covers. She's fitting together pieces of seasoned knot-free apple wood to make planks that are flat and sturdy. There was still some rock candy left from the party (Pinkie had made a whole wagon load!) and Rarity is polishing some of the nicer ones, in colors that will represent each of us.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Working on the Book

May 23: Dash brought in a pile of pictures which I sorted into chronological order and set them all out on the dining room table, along with the pictures from Pinkie's camera. It seemed to be the logical thing to do. Pinkie and Rarity brought her supplies which I set in the center of the table next to the four piles of paper from Canterlot, arranged by color, the five quills, in ascending nib width, and seven ink wells and blotters. Spike had bought black, blue, gold, green, purple and silver inks. He also set out a copper ink that leaked a blue edge. Very cool.

Applejack arrived with her apple wood hinged book covers and spine, along with wood working and wood burning tools, wood stains and polish. Fluttershy had her carefully pressed flowers, grasses leaves and blue jay feathers, preserved in transparent wax sheets. They looked to be dancing and bobbing to music only they could hear, but that we could all remember.

Spike set out the snacks and drinks on a separate table and we were all set!

Every book needs a beginning, so, working together, we composed a preface recounting the tale of the Party Pony of Ponyville who is really hard to surprise. Spike took notes and Rarity prepared the paper so it could be properly bound into a book after we'd filled them.

After a few drafts, during which Rarity snipped a few locks from our manes and somehow tied them into fancy lace-like outlines of our cutie marks, we were ready to have it written into the book. But first we each dabbed ink on a hoof and left a hoof-print here and there on the first six pages in the book, carefully tracing the outline of the hoof as well. Near each pony's print, Rarity glued the knotted mane-lace cutie marks. Spike left a scale and a claw-print too, and he filled in the rest of the space with the tale. He really is good with a calligraphy quill.

On to the pictures! We played a bit with the order and the narrative they made and I spaced them out so that there were pictures on all the pages that remained in the book. Then it was just a question of filling it in with anecdotes, descriptions, Fluttershy's hoofwork, glitter, paint, sketches, ribbons, scents and the like. We left a space for a poem from Maud, when it arrives.

Applejack and Rarity were hard at work on the book covers. Applejack had worked three balloon shapes into the front and the back, burning in strings for the balloons and staining the wood in shades of pink, yellow and blue. She carved out sockets for Rarity's polished rock candy facets, arranged to represent flowers, and together they scored the wood and glued in gem grit in firework patterns. The title, Pinkie Pie Spring Picnic Surprise Party, they spelled out in gold foil on the front and the spine. Inside the front and back covers, a rough map of Ponyville in gems, wood stain, wood burning, paint and inks. Rarity thought to bring tissue guards which will be placed inside the covers once the paint, inks and stains are dry. The tissue guards keep the paint and stains from transferring to the book pages. The advantage of the wooden covers is that they keep the paper pages flat. Rarity made a pair of plaited silver wire clasps to hold the covers shut just for this purpose.

All the pages are resting on the table now, drying and waiting for assembly, Rarity will be doing that with our help on the day after tomorrow. Pinkie is all for the wait -- it's a party that, while it may not go on forever, it's not over yet. There is also Maud's poem. And Pinkie is going to get every pony in Ponyville to sign it. This party might just last for months.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Rocking the Rock Candy

May 24: Rock candy necklaces are the new 'thing' in Ponyville. Since Pinkie is the sole source of rock candy in Ponyville (it's a secret recipe), she's been baking and filling the new rock candy bins at Sugarcube Corner. At least it's allowing the pages of her to-be-assembled scrapbook to dry unruffled.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Between the Covers

May 25: We got together again this afternoon to assemble the pages and fit them between the covers. While we drank tea, Rarity sewed the pages together and connected them to the book spine. With all pictures, ribbons and pressed flowers, the book was a bit thicker than expected. Applejack added a bit more wood to the spine to make it larger before connecting the covers to it with hinges and adding Rarity's two plaited silver clasps.

We read through it again, of course. All that's left is to transcribe Maud's poem, when it arrives, and to get everypony in Ponyville to sign it. Cheese Sandwich too, next time he comes by. Pinkie will probably have to write to him.

One scrapbook for Pinkie, check. The Surprise Pinkie Party has been a success.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Hot Spring Day

May 26: It was really hot and muggy for a spring day today. A taste of what awaits us in summer. We all went to the spa today, even Rainbow Dash, although she didn't stay long. She joined us for a relaxing soak in the hot tub, then flew off for a nap.

It turns out that Pinkie has a few scrapbooks already. I guess the scrapbook we collaborated on was a better gift than I imagined. Sometimes I get lucky.

Apart from the soak, I enjoyed a mud bath and a massage. Wallowing in mud makes me feel all tingly, like I'm a filly getting into mischief. But it also feels great on my skin and after the mud is washed off, my coat just shines.

After the spa, we hauled Rainbow Dash from her nap and went to Sugarcube Corner for big bowls of fruit and spice ices. I had a mint tea and lemon flavored ice. I wouldn't mind having another right now. I should make some mint iced tea for tomorrow.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Maud Pie's Poem

May 27: I received a late delivery of a letter from Galloping Gorge. It's a reply from Maud Pie and it read:

my sister
sedimentary
bedrock
metamorphic
volcanic
sparkling
with crazy
facets
shine on

OK. I forgot that Maud composed short poems. This will take less room than I thought. Spike has penned out a few trial versions in the various inks. We'll ask Pinkie tomorrow which is best.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Lithography in Silver Ink

May 28: Pinkie asked Spike to use the silver ink (it's on a blue page) and to copy Maud's hoofwriting as well as he could. He made an exact copy, just bigger.

Well, the book only lacks signatures. Pinkie has been knocking on doors and there are already several signatures. It's slow going because at each stop, every pony wants to tell their version of the party. It's great for Pinkie, she's reliving the whole thing at every house she visits.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Between the Pages

May 29: After all that excitement planning, living and reliving Pinkie's surprise party, it was good to spend time with my books.

I need more books.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Wild Herbs

May 30: I dropped in on Zecora today. She was at the surprise party, but there was so much activity and noise we were hardly able to exchange two words that day. I thanked her for the fireworks and for bringing the delicious punches and other drinks. They were so good that everypony kept her and Big McIntosh hopping, fetching more water and mixing fresh batches all afternoon and well into the night. She'd seen the scrapbook already, Pinkie had come by earlier to show it off and get it signed. I spotted a rock candy necklace dangling amidst the suspended vials and gourds in her apothecary of medicinal ingredients.

We had a nice chat over cups of a bitter mint iced tea. I think I detected wintergreen, peppermint and dandelion. It's amazing what she can do with wild herbs.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

No Guns in Equestria

May 31: I've noticed that "guns", which use an explosive chemical reaction to push a projectile, seem to be a weapon of choice in your Euclydean universe. In Equestria, that would not be practical. The explosion is too fast for most ponies to guide the projectile in a way that it can reach its target with any force or accuracy. Shooting arrows or launching spears and rocks gives a pony a lot more control, consistency and distance. If you depend only on a split-second detonation to push a projectile, the 'path' (choice of distances) it takes from point A happens at random, and it could end up at just about any distance in the direction it was heading. Due to gravity, its displacement through the air is not in a straight line, it follows a curve. That means at every instant, its "vector" (to use the Euclydean term) has a different slope and thus a whole new infinite selection of 'paths' (distances from A to B) that it will 'follow' at random. A pony would do much better to just throw a rock, thereby maintaining control of the 'path' of the rock the whole time it's in flight.

Party cannons, like those used by Cheese Sandwich and Pinkie Pie, employ a spring. A spring launcher is slower and lets the party pony control the path of objects fired. That way Pinkie can use a party cannon to set tables and launch balloons and confetti.

°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°Øo.¸¸.•*´¯`°

Author's Note:

May be? Yes. It be May. I still don't know when's the best rate, time of day and day of the week to update. Only one thumb (rating) so far. I think it takes ten for that to show. I stuffed this story into two world-building group folders since there is no 'lore' or 'world-building' tags and you can't make your own tags in FiMFiction.

Voice of Fire was all over the news once upon a time.