• Published 15th Mar 2022
  • 833 Views, 40 Comments

Radiowaves - mushroompone



Night Glider spends the summer as a fire lookout in Smokey Mountains National Park.

  • ...
6
 40
 833

Interlude III

Clear Sky could feel it coming.

There was a certain threshold. A point beyond which even the air itself was so dry that it seemed to thin. Each breath became a slow sanding of the insides. Each gust of wind mother nature's rasp, begging for rain and reprieve from the sun.

It was as Sky savored another mouthful of precious cold water that she saw the other warning signs cross her instruments. The prickling feeling, accompanied by the growing wind speed, the rising temperatures… all of it practically glowing in the early morning light.

Sky wiped away the stray droplets of water which dotted her chin and peered down to scrutinize her array of instruments more closely. She withdrew a pencil and began to scribble away in her notebook, shielding dials and glass cases from the harshly angled sun as she went.

Though the notes would likely mean very little even to another in her field, the patterns which formed in Sky's logbook were plain as her name.

Wildfire conditions.

It wouldn't take much. A stray spark or ember landing on just the right bit of tinder—tinder which blanketed the ground of the entire park—could mean an out-of-control fire that would be incredibly difficult to contain.

Sky took a breath to steady herself. All told, it was nothing the park didn't expect.

But still. She prickled.

Sky reached for the radio.