• Published 10th Jan 2022
  • 482 Views, 9 Comments

Halcyon Days - Snow Quill



In the beautiful city of Canterlot, two best friends reconnect.

  • ...
4
 9
 482

Is This The End?

The drawing room was lavish in a way that attempted to be humble, favoring quality pieces that few knew the true price of over flashy bits with a cost that loud voices bragged about. Couches and chairs were placed in a semi circle around a large coffee table, usually providing a relaxing atmosphere for conversation. For the women currently waiting there, however, it was anything but relaxing.

Rarity lounged on a plush and ridiculously comfortable loveseat, idly swirling the frozen grapes that chilled her sparkling cider with a long toothpick. She hadn’t yet acknowledged the other presence in the room and she felt the smallest hint of gratitude that she was being equally ignored. Good. She thought. At least we understand one another.

Celestia calmly sipped at her drink while projecting a sense of having no cares in the world. Every so often her gaze would flicker over, but then focus on something behind Rarity. She wasn’t sure if she hoped to catch Rarity’s eye or not.

The door opened, drawing violet eyes over to it as sapphire ones focused intently on the glass in hand. A heavy sigh drifted through the tense atmosphere as Luna and Fluttershy entered.

Rarity cleared her throat as the door was closed and looked at Fluttershy. “Well then, let’s get this over with I suppose. I would like to start by apologizing for storming out instead of trying to talk it out.”

Fluttershy shook her head. “No you don’t have to apologize for that. I’m sorry for blowing up like that. I should have given you a chance to explain.”

Luna glanced at Celestia, commenting dryly, “There should have been honesty from the beginning. I apologize for failing to correct my sister in a polite manner.”

Celestia pursed her lips, then conceded with a defeated sigh. “You are right, I’m sorry for trying to direct the conversation.” She huffed softly at the glares thrown her way, adding, “And for lying about the Carousel.”

An uneasy quiet settled over them. Fluttershy shifted on her feet as if unsure where to sit, not wanting to appear to pick a side between her friend and her girlfriend. Luna kept a steady gaze on her sister, caught between disappointment at the lackluster apology and relief she had apologized at all. Celestia pretended to not notice Luna, focusing instead on Fluttershy.

Rarity glanced between them and silently sighed, taking it upon herself to keep things moving and clapped her hands together. “Ah, well, Fluttershy.” She hesitated, the words ‘I forgive you’ stuck in her throat. She licked her lips and tried again, “Fluttershy I…”

Fluttershy smiled with understanding and glanced sideways at Luna. Although they had the start of a friendship after their conversation in the garden, she still felt uncertain. “It’s okay if you need more time Rarity, this is all very…” She waved a hand as she searched for the right word, “Unusual. I’m still not entirely sure about it myself but, I trust you.”

Rarity nodded and stood up, placing her drink to the side before crossing the room. She stopped in front of Fluttershy, hesitating again. Finally she reached out and gently patted her shoulder. “I…want you to know that I appreciate your trust, I really do. However, I can’t make any promises. You need to understand just how much I was hurt by what you said.” Rarity shuddered. “I really don’t like fighting with you, but this won’t be so easily forgiven I’m afraid.”

Fluttershy’s eyes watered and she squeezed the hand on her shoulder. “I understand Rarity. I, I really am sorry for what happened. I promise that I will do my best to make it up to you though.” She let out a shaky breath before gently removing Rarity’s hand, and instead offering it to Luna. “Thank you both for at least giving me a chance.”

Fluttershy glanced over Rarity’s shoulder in Celestia’s direction before looking back between Luna and Rarity. She lowered her voice. “You two should go. There’s another conversation that needs to happen before things can really start to get better.”

Rarity nodded, her fingers entwined with Luna’s. She responded in a whisper. “Best of luck.”

Luna squeezed Fluttershy’s shoulder firmly, adding her own quiet encouragement. “We all make mistakes. My sister often has a hard time admitting so, but I have a feeling she’ll come around.”

Luna then stepped towards the door, gently pulling Rarity along, speaking in a normal tone. “Now then, perhaps we should meet for dinner later? Rarity and I will cook — come dearest, to the kitchen!”

Rarity sputtered as she was swept away by her beloved, her dismayed cry of “Cook? In these heels?!” echoing down the hallway. Fluttershy smiled and shut the door before turning to finally face Celestia.

Celestia stood, a pained expression on her face. “Fluttershy? Is something the matter?”

Fluttershy’s smile faded slightly as she nodded. “Yes. Celestia, I love you, but I need to know if you love Luna, too.”

“What sort of question is that? Of course I do, she’s my sister.”

Fluttershy shook her head. “Not just like that. That you love her enough to finally put aside whatever feelings you may have about her business.” She wrung her hands together nervously. “I don’t want to lose Rarity, I, I can’t lose her. So I need to know if you’ll be by my side.”

Celestia took a sip of her drink and swallowed hard, thinking. “I, I suppose—”

“No.”

Fluttershy looked just as surprised as Celestia at the firm interruption. Fluttershy shook her head and continued, gentler. “No. No ‘maybe’, no ‘I suppose’ or ‘I guess’. Yes or no, will you stand by me and let go of whatever feelings you have about Luna and the Sapphire Carousel?”

Celestia considered this for a moment. “Will you?”

Fluttershy squared her shoulders and lifted her chin. “Yes.”

Celestia stared at her, searching for some weakness, some hesitation or doubt. Fluttershy stared back, refusing to back down. She had to prove herself to Rarity and Luna and she couldn’t do that if Celestia wouldn’t support them either.

Celestia sighed deeply. “Very well then. If you can let go and move forward, then I… I can as well.”

All the tension that had built up in Fluttershy’s body during their stare down suddenly left her and she sagged to the side. “Oh thank goodness, I really didn’t want to have to choose between the two of you.”

Celestia smiled sadly and stepped forward, pulling Fluttershy into a hug. “Oh my dear butterfly, I would never make you do that. I know how deeply you and Rarity care for each other.”

Fluttershy melted into the embrace, “And I know how much you and Luna love each other.” She pulled away slightly to look Celestia in the eye. “We can do this.”

Celestia wasn’t sure if the words were more for her or Fluttershy, but she agreed nonetheless. “Yes we can.”

Comments ( 7 )

the Wombo app!

...The what, now?

Ah, I've been so looking forward to this fic, I've heard so much about it!

11113861
google "Dream by Wombo app" and you'll find it. It's an AI image generator.

Oh, this is a fascinating reimagining of Crimson. I can see where echoes of that AU come out here, and how the themes play off each other. It's really clever. And the character work is amazing as well, of course, and really makes this story shine.

11114021
Thank you! I’m really proud of this and am very happy with how it turned out

ooh, I loved Crimson Lips, will be checkin' this out.

Even if I didn't read Crimson Lips, really looks like a heck of an interesting story.

Very nice story, and interesting take on Crimson.

I do think having Fluttershy's father be killed by a sex worker was too much, though. I can understand the desire to not just have Fluttershy be prejudiced against sex workers, and provide a reason for it, but now it feels like a refusal to engage with the topic. That brought down a story that otherwise worked quite well.

11119099
Thanks for the comment, I’m glad to hear you mostly enjoyed the story.

Login or register to comment