• Published 1st Jan 2022
  • 1,759 Views, 9 Comments

The Bride of the Draconequus Prince - GeekCat



Fluttershy, a simple peasant mare, is forced to marry the hideous, unnatural elder son of the king and queen, who refuses to let his twin marry first. (Based of The Bride of the Lindorm King)

  • ...
3
 9
 1,759

The Bride of the Draconequus Prince

In the time of magic and fables, there was once a prosperous forest kingdom.

It was the Everfree Kingdom, and though it might not have had the sprawling cities of other kingdoms, it was still wealthy and beautiful. Though they may have occasionally disputed with their neighboring kingdom of Equestria, it was more often that they were in times of peace. And their king and queen watched over their people from the glittering crystal castle they called home.

Still, one thing bothered Queen Amore, a tall cream unicorn with a flowing pink mane that faded into purple towards its ends. She and her husband, King Starswirl, though married for years, had not yet had a child. It was a problem that weighed on her night and day…after all, she and her husband were not young. They would need an heir.

No nurse or mage was quite sure why they had no luck with having a child, no matter how many she asked. She turned to more and more sources…including a young zebra from a distant land living alone in their kingdom, who claimed to have potions and tricks for just about every problem.


The zebra hummed and nodded as she absorbed everything the queen told her. There were two mugs of tea on the table, though Amore's sat untouched. “This is a problem I've heard of faced by many homes,” the zebra said. “For a solution, I'll have to consult my tomes.”

She pulled out an old, worn book and began to flip through it. Queen Amore sighed, gaze drifting around the strange hut they sat in, filled with masks and ingredients she couldn't imagine the purpose of. “Whatever you find would have to be very unique,” she said. “I've tried so many things already…and yet, nothing.”

“While others might have failed you, I can promise something new.” The zebra smiled in satisfaction, tapping a passage in her book before rummaging through some of her supplies. “Methods from my home might seem strange, but I think they shall lead to good change.”

She set two small, dirty onion bulbs onto the table. Queen Amore's nose wrinkled. "Their taste and smell might not be bland, but these are from my faraway land," the zebra said. "If you take and eat them both, by next moon, in your womb you'll find growth."

Amore's eyes lit up. "However, there are tricks to this deal," the zebra said, looking down to consult her books. "Before you eat, you must—"

She looked up, only to see the queen had already rushed off with the onions, leaving a small pile of bits on the table. Still, she sighed. "I only hope that with the consequences they can cope."


As soon as Amore was back at the castle, she retired to her chambers, sitting with the onions in front of her. Eating them didn't sound at all appealing, but she still picked up the first and dug into it.

The taste was horrid—bitter and dirty. Still, she forged on, closing her eyes and pinching her nose, forcing herself to take bite after bite until there was finally nothing left.

Once done, she chugged a glass of water, staring unenthusiastically at the second onion. She wasn't as eager to eat it now...so carefully, she used her magic to peel away some of the outer layers of skin.

With the smaller white core of the vegetable revealed, she ate the second one. It still wasn't pleasant, but it was much better than the previous one had been, and only took a few bites.

She smiled, discarded the onion skin, and went to find her husband.


Not even a moon had passed before the king and queen had delightful news—she was pregnant! Even better, a few spells revealed that she was pregnant with twins!

The whole kingdom was delighted with the news, and eagerly waited through the moons for the day the future heirs of the kingdom would be born. Even the queen herself could hardly wait.

Finally, the time arrived, hours before the sun rose above the horizon. The queen went through the labor in her private chambers, with only a few nurses and midwives attending to her while the rest of the castle and kingdom slept.

She closed her eyes and grit her teeth as she pushed...and finally, after hours of pain and sweat, she felt a small release of pressure as the first of her foals was born, squalling loudly for their mother.

Gasps rang through the room, followed by whispers. Queen Amore lifted her head, looking at them with worry. Her foal sounded healthy, but their faces were so pale, their eyes refusing to meet hers...what was wrong?

The head nurse gulped, swaddled the foal...and held it out to the queen without saying a word. The queen's eyes widened, and her face went pale with horror.

Instead of a foal, a baby pony, the nurse held an awful, wriggling creature with too many mismatched parts to be natural. Its head was that of a pony's, but it also had a lion paw and eagle claw, the fur of its body was completely different from that of its head...

It squirmed, and its swaddle slipped enough to reveal that its sheer abnormality could be seen in every part of its body. Still crying loudly, it reached towards her for comfort—and Queen Amore felt sick.

"No!" With a shriek, she lifted the thing with her magic, and with only a thought, tossed it out her window and into the forest outside.

The nurses all exchanged glances, staring between her and the window...and then slowly began to encourage her to push, to bring life into the world. The creature and its fate were left unsaid, all focus placed onto its yet-unborn twin.

Fortunately, the second foal born was normal in every way. A beautiful grey coat, a sleek black mane, and a red curved horn...he was every bit a pony. "Sombra," the queen whispered, giving him his name as she held him to her chest.

The king and kingdom would later be introduced to the crown prince, with nothing said of the other twin lost in the birth. Ponies were sorrowful, and no questions were asked, so as not to upset the queen over her lost foal.

Queen Amore was grateful for that. She was more than willing to consider Sombra her son, and forget about the first creature that had come out of her body.


Mere moons later, an unimportant filly was born near the very edge of the forest. She was a yellow pegasus with a pink mane, and grew up in a small peasant family. They weren't rich, and lived within their means, but they were still happy.

The filly, Fluttershy, was only about a decade old and on her way home from school when she had a chance, strange encounter.

The leaves of the underbrush rustled behind her. Her ears perked up, and she paused, turning to look and see what forest creature was following her today. She caught a glimpse of something unlike anything she had ever seen disappearing into the bushes. Fascinated, she slowly began to follow it.

Eventually, she followed the creature all the way into a small clearing, where it stared at her with wide eyes that reminded her of flowers. It hid partially in a bush, but she could still see that it was made up of many different parts.

"Hello," she said quietly. It shrank away, narrowing its eyes at her with clear suspicion. "Oh, please don't be scared! I don't want to hurt you."

It didn't seem to trust her words. So to prove that she meant well, she reached into her saddlebag and pulled out an apple, which she rolled over to it. The creature sniffed it...and then grabbed it with its mismatched hands and began to eagerly eat it.

Fluttershy slowly inched forward, and the creature let her come close. Her eyes scanned over it with fascination—so many animal parts, all in one body. Different, yet seamlessly melded together. "What are you?"

The creature sniffed. "'conequus," he said. Fluttershy jumped—she hadn't expected that he was able to speak! His voice was hoarse, and the fang sticking out the side of his mouth seemed to make it difficult for him to speak. "'aw it in a book, once."

"I've never seen anything like you," she admitted. "But you look really interesting." She peered at the mismatched wings on his back.

He kept devouring the apple, core and all. "...what's your name?" she asked. "I'm Fluttershy."

He frowned, his ears and head drooping. She could see stubs of horns poking out of the top of his skull. "...don't 'ave one," he mumbled. He looked so sad that her heart ached for him.

"...maybe I can think of something!" she said. He slowly lifted his head. "You remind me of one of the words I just learned today in school, even! It was, um..."

After taking a moment to think, it came back to her. "Discord!" she chirped. "Chaos and disorder."

"Discord..." he said, carefully trying out the word. "Discord." He lifted his head the rest of the way and beamed at her. "I like it."

She beamed back. The two of them talked a bit about her school, and the forest, and animals...and so started a wonderful friendship.

Every day, she would come to the clearing with a bit of food to share with him. He would always be there with some new story to tell, or fact to give that would help her with her schoolwork. She would give him small things, like flowers and shiny pebbles, to lift his spirits, while he lent her his assistance in her family's garden.

Then, perhaps a moon later, Prince Sombra had a small hunting party in celebration of his birthday. As he traveled through the woods, looking for game and foraging off of the land, he swung near where Fluttershy lived. She was kept inside for her own safety, away from any stray magic blasts.

The whole time, she worried for Discord's safety.

As soon as the next day came, and the hunt was done, she rushed into their clearing. But Discord wasn't there, and didn't show up the entire time she waited. He wasn't there the next day, either. Or the next. Or the next.

Time passed, and though she was saddened, she had to let go of the idea that her best friend was coming back. Later, her family moved to another part of the forest, closer to the edge, where living was cheaper.

The years went by, and Fluttershy slid into a perfectly ordinary and wholly unimportant life, her memories of Discord slowly fading away.


Prince Sombra eventually grew up into a fine, handsome stallion. He was one of the most powerful mages in the kingdom, and knew dozens of spells from memory.

Still, despite his skills, good looks, and noble blood, there was a chilling aura about him. Even the mares who considered him handsome were wary of him, as there was something about him that made their hair stand on end.

And so, when it came time for him to find a bride, no one in the Everfree Kingdom volunteered immediately. Which was perfectly fine by him—marrying a noble from another kingdom would consolidate their powers, anyway.

He had already begun correspondence with Princess Twilight of Equestria. And a week before his birthday, he headed towards the edge of his kingdom, planning on traveling to her castle and marrying her there.

But before he could leave, a hideous beast burst forth from the brush, blocking his path. It was three times larger than a pony, with awful, mismatched predator limbs, and gleaming sharp fangs. It was so terrifying that Sombra's entourage fled.

"What are you?" Sombra growled, standing his ground and pointing his glowing horn at the beast.

The creature rose to its full height. "Me? I'm a draconequus. A creature cast out, hunted, forced to live alone." He leaned in, ignoring the magic pulsing around Sombra's horn. "So wonderful to finally meet you face to face, brother."

Sombra scoffed. "You're no brother of mine. I have no brother."

"Oh, I'm sure mother and father will insist the same thing," the draconequus said, peeling the magic off of the unicorn's horn and tossing it between his hands with ease. Sombra's eyes widened in shock. "But if you press them, they'll 'remember'."

"...even if that was true, what do you want?" the prince said.

"Only one of the rights of the firstborn, little brother," the draconequus said. "The right to marry first." His eyes narrowed into a glare. "Just try sneaking out of the forest before I have a bride. I dare you."

He tossed the magic aside, which landed a few feet away and created a red crystal shrub in the ground. Sombra, who had never seen a magical feat such as this, took a few steps back...then turned and galloped back to the castle.

"That's right!" the draconequus roared after him. "Run back to your gilded cage! Get comfortable, because you'll be spending a lot of time alone there until I get what I want!"


Prince Sombra told his parents the whole tale as soon as he made it back to the castle. Queen Amore hung her head and reluctantly admitted that the whole thing was true—the creature was his brother, and had been born first.

King Starswirl sighed. "Then under noble law...he is able to claim the right to marry first." He closed his eyes. "...Princess Twilight is already agreeing to marry the prince of this kingdom, is she not?"

Sombra scowled, not liking where this plan was going, but still nodded. "I shall reach out to her and ask her to come here for the wedding," Starswirl continued. "May she forgive us for the deception."

The king left to write the letter, while the queen simply hung her head. Sombra growled and marched away, angry and bitter.


A week later, Princess Twilight arrived at the castle for the wedding ceremony which had been quickly thrown together. Once he saw that she had arrived, Prince Sombra locked himself in his bedchambers. He didn't want to see who should have been his wife married to a monster.

Princess Twilight asked a million questions about the kingdom and its laws as she was prepared for the wedding. The ponies helping her only gave short answers, none of them quite looking her in the eye. She kept asking questions about the castle and its history, talking about what she had read as she was guided to the grand hall where the ceremony would take place—and her voice died in her throat when she saw the groom waiting for her.

The draconequus towered over everyone else in the room. Only a small gathering was there—the officiant, the king and queen, and the members of staff who were daring or curious enough to be in the beast's presence.

Twilight just kept staring at the draconequus with wide eyes as she was ushered forward. She was gobsmacked through the whole, short ceremony—it passed so quickly, and with only the tersest of responses from the bride and groom, that many would be hard-pressed to even call it a wedding.

Still, there was a great feast thrown afterward, fit for royalty, even if all the smiles ponies wore were all fake. Twilight just stared with wide eyes at her new husband the whole time, while the beast watched the proceedings with mild disinterest, occasionally asking a question or two of his bride. He only got silence and simple answers in turn.

Once all had eaten their fill, and the sun sank beneath the horizon, the newlyweds were ushered to a bedroom at the far end of the castle. They entered, and the whole crowd left, each one quietly praying for the poor princess.


Come morning, King Starswirl dared to open the door and peek into the bedroom. Only the draconequus was there; Princess Twilight had vanished without a trace. With no evidence of her whereabouts, the castle and kingdom immediately assumed the beast had eaten her.

That afternoon, Prince Sombra headed towards the edge of his kingdom again. Even with his original choice of bride tragically gone, there still had to be nobility in Equestria he could marry.

But once again, before he could get far, the draconequus teleported onto his path with a flash of bright light. "Not so fast," he said. "Remember how I wouldn't let you out until I had a bride?"

Sombra scowled. "I recall," he responded. "And you had your wedding. Now let me pass."

"A wedding!" The draconequus scoffed. "That wasn't what I asked for, was it? I asked for a bride. And do you see a mare here with me?"

Sombra just glared. The draconequus floated in the air over to him, using his lion paw to flick at the prince's horn. It twitched back and forth like rubber in response.

"Try, try again, princy," he said, clicking his tongue before disappearing in a flash of light.

The road was clear...but Sombra still stepped back and turned around, heading back to the castle in a foul mood to tell his parents.


The king and queen were irked at the news. As far as Equestria knew, they only had one son, who was now married. They couldn't exactly reach out for a second princess out of thin air!

Still, they wrote to several noble families. They admitted that they had twin sons, and the younger was unmarried—a technical truth. They asked if they had any unmarried, eligible daughters who would be willing to give their son a chance.

Responses were slow, and often in the negative. Some were suspicious, wondering why this second son had never been brought up before. Sombra tried to leave the kingdom a few times from different sides of the forest, but a pair of gleaming, yellow-and-red eyes in the shadows always made him rethink his plan and head back home.

Months later, the king and queen finally heard something positive from one of the families. They weren't well-known nobles, but they were rich thanks to owning land that was brimming with valuable gems. They also had a younger daughter who was quite energetic, and more than willing to visit their kingdom and possibly meet their son.

King Starswirl immediately agreed, and by the end of the week, Pinkamena Diane Pie came to visit the kingdom, with the promise of a great party for her arrival.

The pink earth pony was quite surprised when the "party" was a wedding ceremony, and even more surprised when she saw just who her groom was. The king looked even more guilty than at the last ceremony, the queen just as downtrodden, and the draconequus with the same cool indifference as ever.

Once again, they pushed through a short wedding ceremony, threw a great feast (Pinkie seemed to be more receptive to this than Twilight had, at least), and ushered them into a bedroom.

No one had high hopes for the earth pony's fate as they went to their own rooms for the night.


The next morning, Pinkie had vanished, and the draconequus was sleeping alone. Everyone was more sure than ever that he had eaten both of his brides, and everyone was more frightened of him than ever.

This time, when the draconequus appeared to stop Sombra from leaving, both of them wore annoyed expressions. "Quit trying to stop me!" Sombra snapped. "You've received your request twice over. Why do you keep blocking me from having my own bride?"

The draconequus just growled. "One last chance," he said. "I have half a mind to march into that castle and tell both of our parents exactly what they're doing wrong." His eyes gleamed dangerously.

Sombra growled back, turned around, and marched his way back to the castle, his mood venomously black. The draconequus followed for a bit before disappearing. He had only been allowed into the castle during the day and night of the wedding ceremonies...at least he still obeyed that unspoken rule, even if he was pushing the others.


King Starswirl was quite vexed when his son told him the news. As his heir, Sombra had to marry. And after two ponies of Equestria had been married to the beast and vanished into thin air, he doubted he could claim yet another son and ask for a third.

So, he and Sombra turned their search to within their kingdom. Everyone there already knew of the beast, and every mare was immediately frightened—no one wanted to be eaten, and certainly no one was volunteering! The draconequus always kept a close eye on the monarchs, signaling that if they tried to give the crown prince a bride before he had his...he would know.

They began their search in the farthest edges of the kingdom. At the very edge, living in a cottage just outside of the forest (nearly in Equestria itself), they found a young pegasus mare, living by herself and caring for the animals of the kingdom. Barely anyone around knew her well, for she was the quiet sort, and rarely left her home. She was lovely but unimportant...what Sombra considered a fine candidate as the monster's bride.

Fluttershy was immediately frightened when she saw them approaching—word had spread fast through the kingdom of what they were looking for. She barricaded herself inside the cottage, and it took them at least an hour of cajoling to convince her to even think about coming out.

When she dared to peek out, she was dragged out with magic. They both talked about royal decrees, funded shelters for her beloved animals, the good of the kingdom, funds paid to her family for years after—their voices continued until she eventually covered her head with her hooves and cracked under the pressure, agreeing to marry the beast.

Prince Sombra nodded and left, satisfied. King Starswirl tried to stay, to both apologize and thank her, but she was panicked and inconsolable. Eventually, he left as well...as did the gleaming eyes that had been watching them from the woods.

Fluttershy didn't know what to do. She had agreed to this horrible thing in such a panic. And she knew that backing out wasn't an option, now...she had hardly had an option to say 'no' in the first place. Running away entered her mind, but that would just lead to some other poor mare being forced into this position.

She wiped away her tears and ran into the woods. Time to see a good friend of hers. One she knew could give her some good advice.


"...so I just don't know what to do," Fluttershy finished her tale. Her friend Zecora nodded sagely, having poured her a cup of tea and listened to her whole story as soon as the pegasus showed up at her door.

Fluttershy nervously took a sip of her tea, while Zecora tapped a hoof on the table in thought. "I've seen you tend to creatures big and small," she said. "Why do you fear this one more than all?"

Fluttershy sniffed. "The...the other brides," she whispered. "They just vanished...everyone knows that he must have eaten them!" Her lips wobbled. "I don't want to be eaten!"

Zecora patted her shoulder consolingly. "I understand why that might cause you fright. But here is a different sight..." She added a few drops of golden liquid to her cauldron, which then shimmered with many colors.

She gestured for Fluttershy to come closer. She did so, peering into the liquid...and a shiver traveled down her spine when she saw the draconequus, sleeping next to the first of the brides.

"Why...?" Before she could question anything, she watched as the princess opened her eyes, slowly sitting up. Her horn flared with magenta light, and with a flash, she disappeared from the room.

The scene blurred, shifting to another night, with the second bride resting beside the great beast. This one rolled out of bed, opened the window, and climbed out before vanishing into the night.

The image blurred again, fading until there was just a green liquid left. "So now you see," Zecora said. "How everyone before chose simply to flee."

"They just...abandoned him," Fluttershy said, eyes widening. "And everyone thought he...!" She frowned, suddenly feeling a cold worm of guilt in her chest. "That's...that's awful."

She slowly sat back down, and stewed in silence. "...what do you think I should do?" she quietly asked, still keeping her head down.

Zecora smiled softly. "You truly do have a heart of gold," she said, more to herself than anything. "That kindness should change the story's unfold."

She leaned closer. “Though your fate seems grim, you must show that kindness to him. I couldn't blame you for wanting to flee, but instead, prepare for and go through the ceremony. To your room for the night you'll be shown, and for the first time, you'll both be alone. Before that night ends, I give you one aim—take the time to ask his name.”

“His name…?” Come to think of it…no one knew the draconequus's name. Or at least, she had never heard anyone call him by it.

Zecora nodded. “He seems a monster in everyone's eyes, but showing kindness should reveal a surprise. To you, kindness is an art, one that could reveal his hidden heart.”

Fluttershy lowered her head, staring down at her tea. She was still scared, but…Zecora seemed to understand the draconequus in a way no one else did. And Fluttershy trusted her. “…must I go through the ceremony, though?” she asked.

“The draconequus only appears to his enemies and bride,” Zecora said. “From all others, he tends to hide.”

Fluttershy nodded. The draconequus only came out in the open in front of Prince Sombra, according to the rumors. And the stories never mentioned where he came from before the ceremony, just that he was there when his brides arrived.

“I'm…still a little scared,” she admitted. “But I'll do it. I trust you, Zecora.” She walked around the table to give her friend a tight hug before waving goodbye and leaving.

Zecora returned the hug and watched as she left. “I know that you can be brave,” she whispered. “And finally, a good ending pave.”


The next afternoon, a royal carriage appeared just outside of Fluttershy's cottage. She had already spent the morning taking care of her animals, explaining to some of the most responsible what to do if she didn't come back—mainly to remember the Crown had promised they would be cared for, and to go for Zecora for help if they needed it.

She hesitated at her door. Seeing the carriage there, the door open and just waiting for her…it made everything about this seem so real. Her heart pounded, and her knees wobbled. She considered hiding to buy herself more time.

But she remembered Zecora’s advice. She had to be brave and go through with this. She had to show kindness to the draconequus, even if he terrified her. And so, with shaking steps, she approached the carriage and stepped inside.

King Starswirl was the only one inside, and he quickly closed the door with his magic, the stallions pulling the carriage racing back towards the castle. Fluttershy sat down, staring at the forest as it sped past them.

“I truly am sorry about this,” he said. Fluttershy wanted to believe him, but…he had probably said the same thing to the others. Her ears flattened, and neither of them said anything for the rest of the ride.

Once they arrived at the castle, she didn't even have a chance to admire it before being whisked away and into one of the rooms. She was quickly fitted in a simple white dress of fine silk, offered a simple lunch of fruit to eat, then ushered away once again before she could say anything.

She was brought to a large ceremonial hall, one that her cottage could fit in at least twice over. The crowd inside was extremely small, with only the barest hoofful of servants. The king and queen sat at the very front, the king looking sorrowful while the queen's expression was painfully neutral.

Her gaze finally traveled towards the very front of the room, where under an arch of flowers, the draconequus waited, tapping his dragon foot against the ground, a plaid bowtie tied around his neck.

For a brief moment, she felt as if she knew him, and very nearly smiled. In that same moment, his eyes locked on hers, and seemed to shimmer warmly at the sight of her. Then she took in his sharp fangs, his clawed fingers, his predator parts, and the moment slipped away as a shiver traveled down her spine.

The draconequus looked away, still tapping his foot. Fluttershy swallowed, and though her legs trembled, she trotted up the aisle until she was at his side. She dared a glance up at him, only for her to avert her eyes when she saw that he was scrutinizing her with curiosity.

“Citizens of Everfree,” the minister said after clearing his throat. “We are here today to witness the union of two ponies—ah, creatures.”

The ceremony was quick, and before she knew it, Fluttershy was bound to the creature next to her, though she couldn't recall either of their names having been said even once. As soon as it was complete, the others began to mill out, clearly expecting the newlyweds to follow.

Fluttershy glanced at the draconequus, now her husband. She opened her mouth, about to ask the question, but the words stuck in her throat. She closed her mouth, took a breath, and tried again. “Um…”

One of his long ears flicked up at the sound of her voice, and he turned his attention towards her. His eyes, though startling at first, seemed warm to her. She gulped, again shaken away from what she wanted to ask. He rose a fluffy white eyebrow at her silence.

Before she could try again, one of the servants poked their head in, reminding her that they weren't alone just yet. As soon as they spotted the draconequus, they squeaked and scurried away.

The draconequus sighed heavily, and she heard him speak for the first time. “Well, I suppose we should get going,” he said dryly in a deep, rich voice. “After all, I'd hate to be judged for missing ‘our' party that neither of us asked for or had input on.”

“R-Right,” she said, following behind him as he strode forward with his arms crossed. He guided her through the hallways, even as she occasionally paused to drink in the sights of the castle. But he always seemed to wait for her, and nothing else was said between them before they entered their post-matrimony celebration.


Though not many other ponies attended, the celebration was beautiful. A ballroom had been elegantly decorated for them, an orchestra played romantic music in the corner, and a delicious feast was served.

But though ponies ate, drank, and danced, their smiles were fake. Fluttershy stayed at a table in the corner of the room, her new husband joining her and eyeing the crowd, which seemed perfectly content to ignore them and pretend that perhaps they were celebrating for no reason at all.

Even with them virtually alone, Fluttershy still couldn't work up the courage to talk to the draconequus, instead eating food she was too nervous to taste. Even the draconequus played listlessly with his food, staring at all the ponies celebrating, occasionally glaring at the royal family at the head of the room.

Once the sun was setting, Fluttershy and the draconequus were guided through the halls again and ushered into a lavish guest room. The door was quickly closed behind them, and the newlyweds stood and stared at each other as the last light of day faded away, and hoofsteps told them the crowd had dispersed.

“So,” the draconequus said, voice still as rich and deep…and still familiar to her in some way. “We're finally alone. No busybodies trying to keep an eye or an ear on us.”

She gulped and nodded, and he let out a heavy sigh. "I'll say the same thing to you as I did to the other two," he said in a hushed voice. "Leave now, and the marriage will be completely void. You'll be as free as a bird."

He leaned in closer, eyes gleaming. "If you're truly willing to be with me, stay with me through the night."

Fluttershy swallowed, wings quivering. "I'll...I'll stay," she answered, her voice barely audible.

One of his white eyebrows rose. "Really?" he asked. "The others dodged the question, and waited for me to sleep before leaving. You aren't attempting to trick me, are you?"

His long body twisted around her, and she slowly shook her head. "Hmm." He didn't seem very convinced. "If you're being truthful...why don't you remove that dress?" It wasn't a terribly invasive request—most ponies in the kingdom rarely wore clothes in the first place. But traditionally, removing clothing in front of someone, in private, indicated trust and openness.

Fluttershy's hooves slowly rose to the neck of the dress...but paused, hovering in the air. "B-Before I take it off," she said. "You have to...to answer a question of mine."

His eyes gleamed. "Trying to bargain? Interesting." After taking a few moments to think about it, he added, "Very well. Let's hear your question."

"What's your name?" she asked.

The draconequus froze, staring at her with wide eyes. "...no one's ever asked that before," he said. "No one ever gave me one, really."

Her eyes brimmed with tears, and he took a step back, an uncomfortable feeling forming in the pit of his stomach at the sight of her tears. "T-There was someone, one time, who called me something besides 'monster' or ‘beast'!" he quickly said, trying to lighten her spirits.

She tilted her head, and he racked his brain to try and remember. "It was, um, years ago. A young filly gave me an apple, and...they said I reminded them of a word they had just learned that day in school."

"...Discord," they both said quietly at the same time. "Chaos and disorder."

He blinked, looking at her with wide eyes. He bent down, and began to look at her from every angle. She stared at him with eyes equally wide. Until now, she had just remembered her friend back then as being "strange", but...she could remember his mismatched parts now, his grey head and thick brown fur, his warm and shining eyes...!

"It's you," they said as one in amazement.

Time crawled by, and all they could do was stare. Then, slowly, the draconequus—no, Discord—reached out and caressed her cheek with his paw, as though to make sure she was real. She slowly leaned into his touch, closing her eyes.

"I missed you," she whispered. "I can't believe I didn't see it was you."

“Oh, Shy,” he croaked, pressing his forehead against hers. “I missed you so, so much. I just, I…I didn't…” He sniffed. “You’re more beautiful as a mare than I ever imagined.”

She wrapped her forelegs around him. “I'm sorry I didn't see it. I would have been here for you sooner.” Tears pricked in the corners of her eyes. “I'm so sorry…when you vanished, I…I started to forget you.”

Discord hung his head. “I started to forget you, too,” he admitted. “Through all the struggles of living in the woods. I never wanted to leave behind our friendship, though.”

“Then…?” She placed a hoof against his cheek, peering at him curiously.

"That prince," he growled, coiling his lithe body around her. "I had to run to avoid being caught in his little hunt. By the time he was done, I was pretty lost, and couldn't find my way back."

"And later, I moved with my family," she whispered. "Even if you had come to the clearing again...I wouldn't have been there."

She reached down to take his paw, squeezing it between both of her hooves. “But we found each other again,” she said.

Discord was silent for a few moments. Then his paw shifted to squeeze one of her hooves, and he cupped the other in his claw. “I…hope it's not too terrible that we've jumped from ‘friends' to ‘husband and wife',” he said, tone light but expression worried.

“It's a bit strange,” she said, tapping her nose against his. “And I can't promise yet that I love you. But I'll still stay here at your side.”

She slipped her hooves out of his hands, making him tense for a moment. But when she simply started to peel off her dress, he relaxed, flapping his wings and floating over to their bed. She joined him as soon as she had wriggled out of her gown.

Once she had laid by his side, Discord coiled his whole body around her, his eyes already sliding closed as his fingers tangled in her mane. Fluttershy snuggled into his fur, pressing her ear against his chest and smiling as she listened to his heartbeat.

His breathing and heartbeat relaxed and slowed as he slipped into a deep slumber. She closed her eyes and soon followed him into the land of dreams.


King Starswirl was alone the next morning when he checked on the newlyweds. After all, no one expected the third bride's fate to be any different than the others'.

Even the king himself was stunned to see the pegasus still there, sleeping in the draconequus's coils with a smile on her face. He rushed to grab everyone he could, and they all stared into the room with wide eyes. Whispers echoed through the crowd, ponies unsure if what they were seeing was real.

Discord's ear twitched, and he slowly raised his head to glare at the onlookers. “Can we help you?”

They all gasped and scurried away to the far corners of the castle, King Starswirl quickly shutting the door. “Mmm,” Fluttershy said, slowly stretching and stirring awake. “Is something happening?”

“Nothing important,” Discord assured her as he gave her a small nuzzle. “Just a couple of looky-loos sticking their muzzles where they don't belong.” Fluttershy's ears twitched, then flattened, and finally she began to sit up before he added, “Don't worry. I doubt they'll be coming back for a while. I think I gave them a good scare.”

Fluttershy relaxed, and Discord wrapped his arms around her. “For now, why don't we just enjoy the royal treatment?”

She smiled, laying back down on the bed with a yawn. She was still a little sleepy…and she couldn't remember ever being in a bed this comfortable. Plus, Discord was radiating warmth that made her feel even more relaxed…

The newlyweds curled around each other and closed their eyes, taking more time to rest and relax.


A few hours later, they both emerged at the same time, well-rested and clean. Discord used his sense of smell and survival abilities to lead them both into the dining room. A few servants were already there, setting out breakfast, but they scurried away when they saw the draconequus.

After seeing that Fluttershy had filled her plate with plenty of fruit and pastries, Discord took one of the three stacks of pancakes from the head of the table and began to dig in. They were both nearly finished with their plates when the royal family came in, staring at the two of them. Fluttershy shifted uncomfortably, while Discord kept eating without a care in the world.

Prince Sombra's glare flicked between Discord's breakfast and the seat that was missing its pancakes. “As soon as you're finished with my breakfast,” he growled. “We have something to discuss.” He turned and stomped into the hall, his parents following behind him.

Worry churned in Fluttershy's stomach, and she set down the apple she had been eating. Discord seemed to notice her discomfort, and he quickly swallowed the last of the pancakes before standing up, holding his paw out to her.

She placed her hoof in his palm, and the two of them left the dining room. The rest of the royal family was in the hall. Queen Amore stood back with an unreadable expression, while Prince Sombra stood just behind King Starswirl, both of their expressions gravely serious.

The king cleared his throat. “So,” he began. “You…have what you want now, then.”

“Yes,” Discord said, sending a soft smile in Fluttershy's direction that made a part of her feel light and fuzzy.

“And you won't prevent Prince Sombra from finding a bride of his own anymore, then?”

Discord shot an unimpressed look towards Sombra, but responded, “Yes, I suppose I won't.”

“Good.” The king took a deep breath, closing his eyes. “I must ask you to leave our kingdom—our home—and not return. Now, or face official banishment.”

“Excuse me?” Discord said, eyebrow rising high enough that it threatened to pop off of his forehead.

“You heard him,” Queen Amore said, voice cold. “Leave. You are not welcome here.”

Discord's muscles twitched, and he ground his teeth as his hands clenched to fists at his side. Fluttershy could feel her blood boil, and held up a wing as though to shield him. "He's your son!" she cried. "And you're going to evict him from his rightful home, just like that?"

The king and queen glared at her, but she still held her ground, even as her legs shook. "I-I-If he had been born a pony..."

"Then I would be your heir," Discord growled. "I'm still your firstborn. But you're only treating me like one to keep me 'appeased', aren't you?"

"Well, it doesn't matter, does it?" Prince Sombra snapped. "You're not a pony. You're not the heir, and this isn't your home. It's mine." His horn flickered with red magic. "You have what you wanted. Take it and leave."

Discord growled, his lips pulling back into a sneer. "Did you just call Fluttershy an 'it'?"

Prince Sombra just gave a cold glare in return. "'Fluttershy' is lost to our kingdom, thanks to you," he responded. "It's common to want to distance oneself from those you've lost."

Fluttershy's feathers bristled up. "How dare you!?" she said. "I'm married, not dead! Do you refer to the others as 'it', too?" Sombra opened his mouth, but she added with a grimace under her breath, “Though that's a moot point, since they aren't dead, either…”

“What was that?” Queen Amore said.

“It doesn't matter,” King Starswirl said. “You’ve gotten what you wanted, draconequus. Leave our kingdom, and leave my only son be.”

Discord's glare intensified. “My name is Discord,” he growled. “Fluttershy is not just a bargaining chip in one of your plans, and if Sombra is your ‘only’ son, the charade of a kingdom is going to collapse even sooner than I thought.”

Queen Amore's eyes widened, and she slowly looked away. King Starswirl took a step back, stunned, and Sombra…Sombra ground his teeth, eyes and horn flaring with rage.

“That's it!” he cried, stomping his hoof against the ground. “My parents might be willing to appease you, but I will not stand for this any longer!” He lowered his head and sent a blast of raging dark magic towards Discord, still behind Fluttershy.

The king and queen gasped. Fluttershy's eyes widened in fright, but Discord wrapped his arms around her, his back arching over her body to shield her. Still, with a flicker of his magic, a mirror appeared in front of them right before the blast hit.

The magic attack bounced off, flying back and glancing off of Sombra's face. The prince howled with pain, clutching the area around his eye as it smoked. The mirror shattered into dust, the king and queen stood there with pale faces…and Fluttershy, shivering, pressed herself against Discord for comfort.

Discord panted as he lifted his head, looking around. His eyes widened as he drank in everything that had happened. Quickly, he raised his fingers and snapped, making him and Fluttershy disappear in a flash of light.


The two of them appeared on a grassy clifftop. Behind them was a forest Fluttershy didn't recognize, and in front of them was a beautiful blue sea whose waves crashed up against the cliff face. “Where are we?”

“Far, far away from the Everfree Kingdom,” Discord said. “I'm sorry. I know you fought to let us stay, but…” He sighed heavily, his ears drooping. “I think the only place we would be staying there after that would be in a dungeon.”

He sat down, crossing his legs and staring morosely at the sea. She soon sat next to him. “I'm sorry,” she said. “I didn't want you to be kicked out of your own home…or cut off from your family.”

“It's alright,” he assured. “Besides…you're more my family and home than they are. You've been there for me, shown me kindness…when all they've done is seen me as a monster.” He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. She reached up to wipe away the tears forming in her eyes.

Several minutes passed by in silence before Discord spoke up again. “They're terrible rulers, anyway,” he said blithely. “In a few years, after that Prince has the throne, ponies will probably be begging for another option. Even if it's me.”

Fluttershy leaned against his side. “If it means anything,” she said. “I think you would've been a good king. Much better than them.”

His lips twitched upwards slightly, and he slowly wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “…thank you.”

The two of them leaned against each other, making themselves comfortable on the grass and watching as waves crashed against the shore for some time. Discord used his magic to make them both crowns of flowers, while Fluttershy found edible berries with the help of some nearby birds.

It was a simple honeymoon, and they still felt a little somber, but…when Fluttershy looked at Discord, his crown lopsided and blueberries smeared across his lips, a genuine smile spread across her muzzle.


Zecora glanced around the décor of the shimmering crystal castle. She looked and felt very out of place here, where the royal family was more than happy to flaunt its wealth. Still, the guards had let her in, and she now waited patiently for her audience with the queen.

Queen Amore soon entered. Her carefully neutral expression turned into a slight glare when she saw the zebra waiting for her. “Ah. You.” Zecora nodded, unaffected by the critical look the monarch was giving her. “Haven't you caused enough problems for this castle already?”

“I'm afraid that is all due to your own vice,” Zecora quipped. “For acting without my full advice.”

Amore's glare intensified. “Such as?”

“If you eat the onion skin,” Zecora said with a sigh, “Your child will be unlike any that has ever been.”

Amore's mouth opened and closed. “…that would have been nice to know about two decades ago!” she snapped.

“You left in such a hurry, you didn't give time to hear heed and worry,” Zecora said with a sigh and shake of her head. “But there is still more to tell, if you sit and listen well.”

The queen narrowed her eyes, but took a seat, keeping her intense look on the zebra. “Even if your child is most strange, they can bring a positive change,” Zecora said. “Show them love and care, and they'll show gifts you couldn't imagine to bear.”

“My true son was, and is, plenty gifted,” Amore spat. “That…thing did nothing but steal his rightful brides and scar him!”

Zecora hung her head. “If you that child shun,” she said. “Then love in return…will be none.”

“We don't need that thing to love us,” Amore said. “We have Sombra. A real son.”

“An heir whose heart is black as shadow,” Zecora whispered. “Though he hides it, I think you know.”

Queen Amore hung her head for a few moments, expression neutral…then abruptly stood up, thrusting a hoof towards the door. “Get out of our castle,” she said. “If you try to come here again, I'll…I'll have you banished!”

Zecora stood and headed towards the door. “You cannot just banish every problem under the sun,” she said. “Why can't you accept you cast out your son?” With that, she left, disappearing before the queen could even begin to think of a retort.

Queen Amore sat down again, closing her eyes. Sombra, her real son, needed her. She needed to tend to her son. But she could take a few moments to rest, couldn't she? Her son was strong. He had spent his life caring for himself in the woods—

A choked breath escaped her. No, that thing was…it was awful, horrid, not her fault, it was…

He was her son.

The emotions she had tried to keep locked away for years rose to the surface again, and she pressed her face into her hooves and sobbed. “My…son,” she gasped. “Discord.” She hadn't even given him a name…that just made her sobs grow a little louder.

“I'm sorry.”

But no one was around to hear it, least of all Discord. But, she thought, maybe…maybe someday he'll be back. And I can finally tell him.

He might not listen, or forgive her…and she completely understood if he chose to despise her for the rest of her days. But the thought her son might one day return, that she could try to make something up to him…it gave her a tiny glimmer of hope.

Comments ( 9 )

Yaaay more Fluttercord goodness!

This one was interesting. It had the storytelling of a fairytale, but unlike a fairytale, it didn’t have a happy ending, or a definitive ending at all. This leaves the possibilities open and the reader can imagine what happened. Cool! Although I wouldn’t mind a sequel and find out if they ever returned to Everfree and what happened with Sombra, and see how their marriage goes :raritywink:

I hope that the king, queen, and Sombra get what they deserve and be dethroned!!! And have the TRUE Heir and his bride to rule the Kingdom of the Everfree the right way!

P.S. SCREW YOU, Amore! Your a terrible queen, much less of a mother!!!! It is far too late, and hope your aren't forgiven for a long time, and be cursed with Karma. :flutterrage: :pinkiecrazy:

An interesting ending to a common fluttercord theme. The fairytale aspect of it was fun! There are a lot of questions unanswered, but it was a satisfying story that I'm fine with it being left to the imagination.

As always, it was very well-written with good pacing. Thanks for the unexpected treat!

What a good way to start the new year that reading a fluttercord fanfic.
I love everything about, from how Fluttershy meet discord and give him his name, from their beautiful reunion 😍😍😍.
And even though there was no kiss you can feel their connection and know that they're meant to be together. And even though it have an open ending you still have that feeling of satisfaction many movies have (ghibli for example), also I wouldn't mind I sequel if you plan on doing one.
Anyway thank you Geekcat for this new year present you gave to us fluttercord fans 👏👏👏👏

But the thought her son might one day return, that she could try to make something up to him .

So is there any chance that we could get a sequel for this, I mean this line does give you prompt for a story

That was interesting twist on the fairytale! And the somewhat open ending is so promising! I really enjoyed this story

Loved it! It was only one chapter long but very well told!:twilightsmile:

Why is it some of the best stories that have really good starts are just one shots? Would have loved to have seen this carry out and it become a battle for a kingdom with Discord coming to its rescue.

Comment posted by lalisa167 deleted Dec 21st, 2023
Login or register to comment