• Published 29th Dec 2021
  • 306 Views, 0 Comments

A Hearth's Warming to Remember - Locomotion



Hornette the changeling experiences the joy of Hearth's Warming for the first time.

  • ...
 0
 306

Epilogue

The next day, a light engine collected “Element of Loyalty” from Horse Junction, and brought her back to Ponyville where she was thoroughly inspected. She was none the worse for her adventure, but just to be on the safe side, Max ordered that she left to thaw out at the back of the shed.

It took a while for Locomotion to recover from his snowy ordeal, and he was thankful he had so little shopping left to do. Steamer gladly took care of it on his behalf, while Hornette stayed at home to help him wrap presents and generally make sure he was alright, offering him a blanket or a warm drink at the slightest shiver. Locomotion did feel a little henpecked, but ultimately he couldn't complain – at least it gave him a good excuse to snuggle on the sofa with his changeling.

By the time Hearth's Warming Eve rolled by, all their cards had been posted, all their presents wrapped and delivered, and the final batches of cookies and pies baked and ready for the big day. Steamer even took the liberty of cleaning the chimney in the living room that evening. “No point risking our presents getting all sooty on Hearth's Warming,” was his excuse.

Locomotion chuckled at that, and winked at Hornette; “More likely he's just clearing the way for Rudolph,” he quipped.

“Eh? Why the chimney?”

“Didn't I tell you?” went on Locomotion. “When the Gift Bringers are out delivering presents, Rudolph actually goes down the chimney at each house he comes to, and places the presents under the Hearth's Warming tree.”

Hornette's eyes widened with intrigue. “So...if I were to sleep down here tonight...”

“Ah-ah-ah,” interrupted Steamer in a chastising tone. “He won't visit unless little ponies and changelings are tucked away in bed. Anyway, you've lost enough sleep rescuing Loco; it won't do to lose more over the Nine Gift Bringers.”

Hornette was disappointed, but quietly reassured herself that at least her tender heart would have a present for her, even if Rudolph didn't. She retired to bed that night with a deep sense of anticipation, dreaming of the Nine Gift Bringers of Hearth's Warming, and wondering what they and Locomotion had in store for her...

No-one stirred as a lone, antlered figure in a red hat and cloak slipped quietly down the chimney and emerged from the hearth. Checking all the time to make sure they weren't being watched, the mysterious stranger took a small wrapped present from the sack they had been carrying, placed it under the tree with the others, and filled the small stockings on the mantelpiece with sweets before climbing up the chimney again. Once out in the open, they drifted down from the roof and hovered close to Hornette's bedroom with a warm smile.

“Happy Hearth's Warming, Hornette,” whispered the figure, and glided away into the night.


Hearth's Warming Day dawned bright, crisp and cold over Equestria. Throughout the nation, ponies young and old awoke to the glorious sight of presents waiting to be opened, and one by one, their homes twinkled with fairy lights and echoed to the sound of carols being sung. In Steamer's house, as was usual for his favourite holiday of the year, Locomotion was the first to wake up. His joyous singing as he pranced downstairs soon roused Steamer and Hornette as well, and they enjoyed a hearty breakfast together before decanting into the living room to hang out until the rest of the family came. Locomotion and Hornette were keen to open their presents, but Steamer wouldn't let them.

“Good things come to those who wait,” he told them patiently.

Shortly before noon, their patience was rewarded with the arrival of Locomotion's parents and siblings, and they all gathered outside to raise the Equestrian flag. Fair Isle had intended to follow tradition and allow her youngest son Rocky Mohawk, a red-maned unicorn with a greyscale coat, to fly the flag; but Steamer and Locomotion respectfully objected in favour of Hornette, reasoning that although Rocky was only eight, the young changeling had only been part of the family for less than five months.

“Besides,” added Locomotion, “she kinda deserves it, after helping rescue me and my passengers.”

Firelli and Surfie warmly agreed, and even Rocky couldn't be disappointed – he had already flown one flag back home, so at least he wasn't missing out. Hornette beamed gratefully as she accepted the flag from Fair Isle, hoisting it up the flagpole until it flapped proudly above their heads. Once this was done, they headed inside and hung their dolls from the mantelpiece one by one. Locomotion had never been particularly keen on crocheting, nor was he very good at it, so his “doll” instead took the form of a model locomotive, which he had made himself from bits of junk many years ago. It had grown a little shabby with the passing of time, but Hornette agreed that it suited him a lot better than a doll.

Finally, after a filling Hearth's Warming lunch, the whole family gathered in the living room for the part that Locomotion and Hornette had been looking forward to most of all – with the young couple settled under a shared blanket by the fireplace, they all began opening the many presents that awaited them under the tree. With each one she opened, from the simple bauble she received from Surfie with a stylised changeling painted on, to the honey-based recipe book that Fair Isle gave her, Hornette felt her heart swell ever more with warm gratitude; and with everypony so happy and bright, she wasn't short of free love to snack upon. She was only sorry she didn't have anything for her stallion...

“Aw, wow!” Locomotion's umpteenth exclamation of delight broke her out of her thoughts. “I can't believe you managed to...blimey, Dad, this is fantastic!”

“What is?” asked Hornette.

“This old-time OO-scale Pullmare parlour car from Bridleway Limited Imports,” said Locomotion, holding up the model for all to see. “I'd had that on my wish list for ages! How did you even afford it anyway, Dad?” he went on, visibly mystified. “Those things cost, like, 35 bits.”

“Not where I found it,” smiled Optic Strand knowingly. “You remember those court cases regarding Hornette?”

Locomotion nodded. “Yeah, I remember – while I was in hospital in El Pinto, you and Mum had to testify for me and Hornette. And as I also recall, Princess Celestia herself took up the cases in connection with the changeling peace talks.”

“Which meant that your mother and I had to travel up to Canterlot for most of the proceedings,” explained Steamer. “While we were there, I came across a model railway shop not too far from the castle. They were having a sale there, which included those very coaches, so I thought I'd buy one for your Hearth's Warming present.”

“What was the discount?”

“30 percent off, so only 24 bits.”

“Twenty-four? For a Bridleway Limited Pullmare?” Locomotion could only smile warmly at this revelation. “Aw, thanks, Dad.”

“That's alright, Loco.” Optic Strand gave his son a kindly nuzzle.

With a wistful smile of her own, Hornette reached out for another present; but was promptly interrupted by Firelli as she scooped up a smaller package and passed it over to Locomotion. “Might want to open this one next, Loco,” she suggested innocently. “It looks like something special.”

“Oh right?” Locomotion took the present in his magic and read the label out loud.


"Dear Loco,

Season's Greetings to you and your family. I am delighted with how hard you have worked to ensure everypony has a happy Hearth's Warming, and as a token of appreciation, I have sent you this extra present on behalf of your closest friend in the world.

Yours Sincerely,

Rudolph."


Locomotion raised a puzzled eyebrow as he came to the “closest friend in the world” part. There was only one thing that could possibly mean, but... “I thought you said you hadn't got anything for me,” he said to Hornette, perplexed.

“I hadn't.” Hornette looked just as confused. “I didn't even have the time after we got back from rescuing you.”

“And that writing,” added Locomotion, “looks strangely familiar too. What that says to me is that either this is a well-intentioned Hearth's Warming prank, or someone's deliberately letting you take the credit for their own present.”

“Well, only one way to find out, eh Loco?” goaded Steamer.

Locomotion gazed at him. “Uncle?” he asked suspiciously. “Did you have anything to do with this?”

“I don't know. But neither will you until you open that thing.”

The red-furred stallion shrugged and rolled his eyes. Steamer sure was being cryptic today, he thought – surely he must have known about this present. Regardless, he tore away the wrapping paper; and stared in wide-eyed disbelief at what he saw inside! There, in his own two front hooves, right before his very eyes, was a little wooden engine, its royal blue paint shining like sapphire.

Hornette's jaw dropped open. “What?! But...how did...it can't be!” she spluttered incredulously. “That thing was broken! I swear it!”

“What was broken?” asked Fair Isle, not quite understanding.

“That engine I carved for Loco,” answered Hornette, as Locomotion held up the model for all to see.

Fair Isle raised a hoof to her mouth in amazement. “Oh my goodness!” she gasped. “You made that all by yourself?”

“Well...with Apple Bloom's help, yes,” affirmed Hornette, blushing modestly despite her bewilderment.

“Aw, Hornette, that looks wonderful,” admired Fair Isle.

“I'll say it does,” said Locomotion at last, “but how is it still in one piece? You said that thing was beyond repair.”

“Yeah, that's what I...thought.” It was then that Hornette spotted a scribbled note among the wrapping paper. She levitated it out so that she and Locomotion could both read it, and was deeply touched by what it said;


I know this must be a bit of a shock to you, Loco, but I couldn't stand to see Hornette's hard work go to waste. I thought it prudent, especially after she saved you and so many others who might never have seen another Hearth's Warming without her help, to fix this up for you as best as I could. I hope I've done it justice.

Your Good Friend

Apple Bloom


The young changeling brushed away a small tear. You sure have, Apple Bloom, she thought gratefully as she eyed the model again – apart from a few tiny dents, it looked so perfect and brand new that you wouldn't have known it had ever been broken. “Thank you so much,” she whispered happily.

“And thank you too, Hornette,” added Locomotion fondly. “This has to be the most amazing gift I've ever received this year.” He leaned in for a kiss; only to pull back after a brief second as another thought occurred to him. “There's just one thing that puzzles me...”

“Yes?”

“...how did this thing end up under the tree without us cottoning on?”

“Well,” put in Firelli cryptically, “let's put it this way – the Nine Gift Bringers placed it there only last night.”

It was then that Locomotion noticed a small, sooty red and yellow feather lying just in front of the fireplace. He stared at it for a moment, his eyes growing misty as the pieces fell together in his mind. “Yes,” he murmured at last.

“Say what now?” asked Hornette.

“A few weeks ago, you were asking if the Nine Gift Bringers of Hearth's Warming would deliver to changelings...and it seems they have, in a way.” Locomotion said no more, but smiled gratefully to Firelli who winked in return. Only then did Hornette catch on, and she herself couldn't help but break into a hearty smile herself. So there really is a Rudolph, she thought.

“Speaking of which,” continued Locomotion, “here's one from me. It's not much, but...you know, it's the thought that counts, right?” With a slightly uneasy look on his face, he levitated the present in question from behind the tree and watched his marefriend rip it open. She gasped in delight when she saw what it was...

“Wow, Loco!” exclaimed Firelli. “Where did you get that?”

“The Hearth's Warming market at Fort Maine,” said Locomotion matter-of-factly. “One of the stalls there was selling blown glass ornaments of various kinds, and I thought this cricket figurine might...possibly fit the bill?”

“Why a cricket?” pondered Steamer curiously.

“Chineighse symbol of good luck and prosperity. Thorax tells me they have the same meaning for changelings.” Locomotion turned to Hornette; “I hope you don't mind...I...”

“Mind?!” Before Locomotion could react, Hornette wrapped her arms around his shoulders and kissed him again, much more passionately this time. “Loco, I couldn't have asked for a better present from you,” she said emphatically as she pulled back for air. “I expected something like...a snow globe, maybe, or a picture book – but this?” She paused, cradling the ornament in her hooves. “You're such a sweetheart, Loco. I love you.”

“And I you, Hornette. Forever and always.” Locomotion looked on with a broad smile of fulfilment as Hornette levitated the cricket onto the mantelpiece. Secretly, he had envied Rarity for being the first pony to give the young changeling a gift, and wished he could have beaten her to the punch; but seeing Hornette so happy, he no longer cared. All that mattered, he told himself, was that his own first present to her had brought her at least as much joy as her Prairie doll – if not more. He nuzzled her lovingly, earning a hearty purr as they embraced. “Happy Hearth's Warming, my honeybee,” he whispered; and Hornette and the others all murmured warmly in kind.

This day, she considered, had truly been a Hearth's Warming to remember.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment