• Published 23rd Dec 2021
  • 7,418 Views, 400 Comments

Chaotic Visage - Orderly Disassembly



sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurrrrt meeee... A comforting lie. Isn't it?

  • ...
26
 400
 7,418

Ch 10 - Home?

Author's Note:

And so, Typhon has returned! I do not know if I will be able to manage it, but I'm gonna try to get another chapter out next week. No promises though!

await your comments with maddened glee!

The sun’s harsh glare pierced my curtains and violently stabbed my closed eyelids which, of course, decided that opening would be a fantastic idea.

However, the ensuing flood of retina-searing light quickly disproved that theory.

With a mighty groan, I rolled off the bed and got to my fee-hooves. I got to my hooves.

I went through my morning routine of popping my back, my neck, and my fingers. Fingers?

Crap!

I was halfway through cracking the knuckles in my right claw before I’d realized that some of my natural features came back.

However, with a snap, the illusion righted itself. I

sighed in relief and started towards my door.

Glad no one saw that!

My hooves clopped on the wooden floor as I trotted through the hallway and down the stairs.

The first-floor tavern was, just like last night, only occupied by a couple of stallions and the barkeep.

However, after a moment of staring at the trio of ponies, I realized that they were the same ones as the night before, except they all had bags under their eyes.

One of the stallions moaned while rubbing his head.

“Gooooood morning! Might I know what’s for breakfast?”

The three ponies all cringed at my shouting.

The stallions glared at me while the giant mare sighed before speaking.

“Could ya keep it down, please? I’m havin’ a killer headache right now.”

I nodded before she continued.

“Alright, so whaddya want?”

“Breakfast.”

The innkeeper sighed as she rubbed her forehead.

“Yes, whaddya want fer breakfast?”

“Well, what do you have?”

She opened her mouth to reply, then closed it.

“Ya know what, I don’ really know.”

Another thunderous sigh before she trudged through a doorway behind the bar counter.

A couple of minutes later, she came back out.

“Ok, we got-”

She stopped for a moment to yawn.

“-pancakes, waffles, fried hay, and some leftover stew from yesterday.”

I sat down on one of the stools at the edge of the table.

The smooth wood felt soft under my hooves.

I felt something pop in my back as I sat down and a smile crossed my face as I began.

“I think I’ll have some pancakes.”

The bartender nodded.

“Fer drinks we got cider, water, regular ol’ juice, and beer.”

“Water, please.”

The two other sweaty stallions muttered their orders to the barkeep before going back to slumping on the counter.

I shook my head at the display before turning in my seat to watch the door.

The wooden door’s smooth plane was highlighted with the bright light of morning.

The hinges shone, the wood itself glowed, and even the floor next to the door had bright spots speckling it.

I turned towards one of the stallions when I heard him moan.

“You alright?”

He worked his jaw for a moment before yawning.

“Yeah, me and Dirk o’er there just had a wild night.”

I tilted my head.

“Oh? Do tell.”

Before he could respond, the barkeep returned with several plates balanced on her back.

The ceramic circles held precious cargo that made everypony’s mouth water.

The dull-sweet odor filled my nose and I licked my lips in anticipation.

In my careful observation of breakfast, I missed the giant mare’s glare.

“Yes, dear Hotshot, do tell.”

I barely maintained a curious face while I held back my laughter at the resulting stallion’s stuttering.

Oh someone’s in trouble!

After a moment he managed to compose himself.

“Ye-yeah had a small break-in!”

I tilted my head.

“Well, that’d explain the yelling.”

Twitchy nods were his response, but I wasn’t done yet.

I made a show of looking around the room and examining the entrance.

“But if there was a break-in, why aren’t there any signs? No broken tables or chairs, no cracks on the door, not even any hoofprints on the floor.”

I leaned down to fake a close examination of the floorboards.

Dirk responded.

“Well, we all cleaned up. Do you think we’d just leave a mess for the lady all on her lonesome?”

The barkeep shifted her glare to Dirk.

“Aye, that ya did. Ye forgot to scrub out the milk.”

The stallion’s ears folded back to their skulls as they both looked away.

I couldn’t help the smile that I flashed for a moment, but I managed to flatten my expression before anypony could notice.

“Well, if you were fixing the door, then that would explain the thudding going on down here. Though, next time could you wait till morning? You kept me up a good portion of the night.”

With that, I began breakfast.

While I munched away I heard the red-cheeked stallions sigh and the Barkeep snort.

Past that, all was silent. After finishing, I teleported my saddlebags onto my back and bade everyone farewell before trotting out the door.

The crisp, clean air bit at my nostrils as I traversed the open road.

A few ponies trotted here and there but the market hadn’t set up yet. The buildings, once hidden by endless carts, ranged from white to red to deep blues and even, (sickeningly) hot pink. I snorted at the oddly colored house.

They must love pink a bit too much, be the gayest stallion around, or maybe they think that ‘salmon’ isn’t pink.

A few minutes later I arrived at the mouth of the familiar alley.

As I trotted down the streets I made note of vines, creepers, and other assorted plants that spiderwebbed all over the walls or roofs of houses.

Moments later, I found myself in front of the orphanage and I noticed a slight change that seemed to have occurred overnight.

Am I crazy or was that tree trunk of a vine not there yesterday?

I tilted my head and furrowed my brows as I examined the thing.

And why does it have spikes the size of my leg?

My thoughtful pondering was interrupted by a shrill voice that yelled out from the orphanage.

“Ms. Heart! The stupid hornhead is baaaack!”

A much more mature voice answered.

“Sugarplum! What have I said about that word?”

I couldn’t make out what they were saying after that so I went back to interrogating the vine with my eyes.

I tugged at the thing lightly with my magic, but nothing happened.

Next, I tried getting a hold of it but the vine kept slipping out of my magic like a super smooth bar of soap.

“Hello sir, might I ask why you’re back?”

I glanced at Ms. Heart before shrugging and returning to my evaluations of the offending vine.

“I felt like it.”

Ms. Heart blinked at me for a few moments.

“You, felt like it?”

“Yep.”

She shook her head before turning around to go back inside. She looked back at me.

“You’re welcome to come inside if you’re interested in adoption.”

The smile that she shone at me may have melted my heart. If I was looking at her, that is.

“Yuh-huh, real quick question. Was that vine there yesterday? I can’t tell if I’m losing my vision or my mind at the moment, because I swear that I didn’t see that thing yesterday.”

Ms. Heart cocked an eyebrow at me before she turned to see what my hoof pointed at and screamed.

It felt like a needle was driven in through both my ears.

“Yeash, it’s just a plant. Not like it’s gonna grow legs and chase you down.”

Then she began hyperventilating

What the hell? It’s just a damned vine.

I rolled my eyes at the display.

“The vine doesn’t look great but I don’t see how it warrants that kind of reaction. Worst case scenario, you just grab some clippers and cut the thing off.”

Ms. Heart glared at me before she screeched.

“Those are plundervines, you idiot! They would lash me like a sentient whip if I tried that!”

Great, aggressive greenery, what’s next? Flying geckos? Wait, dragons are a thing… FUUUU

Sugarplum called out from the orphanage again.

“I told you, Ms. Heart, he’s an idiot. I told you!”

Ms. Heart glared at a window on the second story.

“One more word young lady and you’ll have to skip breakfast!”

Magic resistance, magic resistance, magic resistance… Wait, you might be magic resistant, but is the air around you the same?

Ms. Heart managed to calm down and started to mutter to herself.

“It’ll-It’ll be fine, we just need to find a new place to stay, just another building, just another home.”

She buried her muzzle in her hooves.

“Oh Celestia, oh Celestia help me.”

I exhaled as I took one more look at the violent vine.

Instead of grabbing the plant directly, I compressed the air around it and yanked backward.

The snapping shrubbery protested its punishment, but the worrisome weed was ripped from its perch regardless.

Instead of bringing the hovering vine to the ground, I ignited the air around it.

However, I had to make sure that the embers stayed away from the nearby buildings.

Only after the remains finished smoldering, did I let the ashes fall to the ground with a smug grin on my face.

“Heh, magic resistance is overrated.”

Ms. Heart was staring at me with a slack jaw and wide eyes.

“H-how? It takes a full team of exterminators to deal with a vine like that in a week!”

“Well, I suppose it’s so hard to remove because of its magic resistance, correct?”

Ms. Heart nodded so I continued.

“That’s all well and good for the vine if I was just slinging spells at the thing. However, the air around said vine is, in fact, not magic resistant.”

Her eyes widened again.

“So instead of futilely tugging at the plant like an idiot, I tugged at the air around it.”

Ms. Heart frowned.

“How did you grab onto the air?”

My eyebrows raised as I looked from side to side, making a show of checking the surroundings. I leaned in.

“It’s a secret, buuut.”

More conspiratorial examination of the area, more leaning in, and I whispered directly into Ms. Heart’s ear.

“Magic.”

I pulled back with a broad grin while the mare just stared at me with a flat look.

“Really, that’s it?”

I nodded while maintaining my stupid grin.

Then Ms. Heart turned her glare on the building again.

“Not. A. Word.”

The low grumbling of a child was the only response.

Ms. Heart sighed and glanced at me.

“The offer still stands.”

I nodded as I began to follow her.

Just past the door, the reception room was just the same as before; a dull brown reception desk, bare floorboards, but it was far brighter than last night.

Before I could notice anything else, I smelled smoke.

“Something’s burning.”

Ms. Heart yelped and scrambled through the doorway, following the trail of dark smoke.

I began to follow but a moment later she called back to me.

“I was going to offer breakfast, but, well…”

Her voice petered off as I turned the corner into the orphanage’s kitchen.

Steam hung over everything like smog in a city. Most of the various counters, sinks, and stoves were clean.

However, Ms. Heart stood, with a sheepish smile next, to what appeared to be the aftermath of an oatmeal volcano.

Bits of light brown gruel splattered the stove, the outside of the pot, the counters around it, some on the wall, and…

How the hell did it get on the ceiling?

Ms. Heart furiously wiped away the overcooked and undercooked breakfast off the counter as I marveled at the mosaic of breakfast food.

It’s like a whole platoon of toddlers got their hooves on a tub of white silly putty.

Occasionally the appalling ceiling painting would drip and, unfortunately for Ms. Heart, a huge, viscous glob decided to plummet just as she passed underneath.

With a loud wet slap, the putrid projectile slammed into the top of her head.

With a tired sigh, Ms. Heart wiped the mess off of her mane.

“I really am sorry.”

I shook my head.

“No worries, not entirely your fault.”

“But I’m the one who left it unattended!”

Before I could respond, a yellow earthpony scampered in through the hall and tackle-hugged Ms. Heart.

“Not your fault Mith. Heart!”

The orange mare cooed to the little filly and smiled.

“Thank you, Sweetiedrop.”

“Ms. Heart, is that stupid stallion go-”

I put on my widest grin as I leaned down to Sugarplum’s eye-level.

With a peppy voice and malicious intent I spoke.

“Nope, right here Plummy. Don’t plan on leaving for a little bit either!”

‘Plummy’ growled as she glared at me.

“My name’s not ‘Plummy’ you brickheaded bum.”

“Ooh, alliterative insults? I barely brae at any poor pariah’s obvious obloquy. However, harrowing tales of tongue-twisting indignant insults are all cantankerously common. And furthermore-”

“Shut up!”

I rolled my eyes as I turned away from the annoying filly and towards the catastrophe that was supposed to be breakfast.

I swept my gaze across the recently cleaned counter, the empty stove top, and the still bubbling oatmeal that clung to the space between hotspots.

As I pondered my next move, I felt something tap my shoulder.

I swung my head around but found no one near enough to touch me.

I turned back and felt the tap again.

I looked back to find the same scene as before; Ms. Heart hugging Sweetiedrop while scolding Sugarplum.

I faked going back to my thoughts but snapped my head back just in time to be hit on the snout by a stray glob of oatmeal.

I sighed as I teleported all of the remaining gruel away from the ceiling, and the stove, and the wall, and the floor.

Ms. Heart tilted her head as she glanced at me.

“Where did the oatmeal go?”

“I teleported it.”

“To where?”

“The second dimension.”

“What?”

“The second dimension.”

Ms. Heart furrowed her eyebrows.

“Where’s that?”

I just shrugged.

Ms. Heart sighed before she let go of Sweetiedrop.

“I better get started on breakfast.”

She sharply inhaled.

“Again.”

I gave her a lopsided grin as I walked past her.

“Perhaps, I may be of assistance.”

“No-no, I can do it myself. You’re a guest after all, and you just helped us out tremendously. You don-”

My saddlebags made the kitchen counter creak when I set them down.

I flipped open a flap and stuck my entire leg into it.

The small bag shouldn’t have been able to take more than half my leg, but I got all the way up to my shoulder before pulling out a wooden spoon.

With a frown, I tossed the utensil behind me before diving into the bag… literally.

A few minutes later I grabbed the edges of the saddle bag and climbed out of the confined space.

“Okay, note to self, organize that damn bag.”

A flick of my magic brought out an assortment of different spices, vegetables, fruits, and a couple of cheeses.

I pointed at each as I listed what I had returned with.

“Ok, we got some gouda, cheddar, and swiss cheese. Some rosemary, thyme…”

It took a minute or two, but I eventually managed to articulate the full list of floating foods that conga'd out my magic saddlebag.

“...and a pineapple! So, whatcha gonna make?”

Ms. Heart blinked a couple times.

“You’re…”

She tilted her head.

“Offering me ingredients?”

She furrowed her brows.

“Why?”

“Well, what would you make if I didn’t?”

Ms. Heart’s cheeks reddened as she rubbed the back of her head.

“Oatmeal.”

I flicked my eyes from her to the stove, to her, and back to the stove.

“Then yes, I’m offering ingredients.”

Oatmeal Pompei does not need a sequel.

Sugarplum glared at me while mouthing something at me.

However, I can’t read lips, so I ignored her.

Sweetiedrop was hopping in place as she giggled.

“Yay! Mith. Heart ith making thomething new!”

I leaned close to Ms. Heart while keeping my sight on Sweetiedrop and whispered.

“What did she say?”

Ms. Heart sighed before nodding to Sugarplum, who grinned at me with narrow eyes.

“You’re the dumbest stallion this side of Equestria, Mister perceptive.”

I scoffed with mock indignation.

“I’ll have you know my name is Pathfinder! Perceptive perspective was my uncle.”

I paused for a moment to look down in thought.

“I think.”

Ms. Heart shook her head while Sugarplum gave me a look so deadpan that a graveyard of kitchen implements may have popped into existence, just to punctuate her point.

I rolled my eyes as I trotted out the doorway.

I stopped when I reached the entrance to the orphanage.

Ok, what now?

That’s the moment that the universe decided that a tiny griffon would dive at my face.

The feathery thing was only slightly larger than its target, the target being my head.

After colliding with my cranium, the miniature menace started gnawing at one of my ears.

For anypony else, I suspect that act would cause quite a bit of pain, but for me, it just tickled.

I snorted a couple of times before pulling at the griffon with my magic.

“Get off me you little rascal. Off me, off I say you fiend!”

I grinned as I managed to detach my assailant from my ear.

The little griffon giggled at me as I held them up in my magic.

The hatchling-toddler griffon had a white feathered head, black fur on the lion parts, and bright red eyes.

I heard light thumping on the bare floorboards and saw an albino…

I want to say batpony, but that could easily be derogatory.

The leather-winged pony scampered up to me.

“Pwease don’t hurt her mister, she’s just playing!”

The white, thestral I think they’re called, made use of one of her most powerful abilities: the puppy dog eyes.

However, unlike Sugarplum’s, this set of large, watery orbs actually seemed sincere in its innocence.

I chuckled at the frightened filly.

“Oh-ho-ho no worries little one. I can tell that this little demon…”

The baby griffon giggled when I gestured to her.

“... meant no harm. Anyways, might I ask your names?”

The white filly bounced up and down as she fluttered her wings.

I let the griffon down and smiled at the pair.

“I’m Distorted Gale, and that’s Helga!”

Before I could say anything further, I smelled a mixture of spices pervading the air. Then Ms. Heart yelled from the kitchen.

“Everyone come to the kitchen, breakfast is ready!”

That fast? How?

I sighed as I repeated the mantra that I recently devoted myself to.

Don’t question it, just don’t question it.

The two children scampered past me while I followed the wafting odors at a more sedate pace.

When I entered the kitchen I smiled at the scene.

Little fillies and colts swarmed Ms. Heart at the stove like the popular aunt at a large family gathering.

The smallest even stood on the backs of older children to get closer.

I picked out around a dozen different kids trying to get close to Ms. Heart at the same time.

However, the only flier that seemed to have made use of their advantage was the little griffon who was circling around Ms. Heart’s head.

I chuckled as I neared the technicolor blob of ponies that surrounded a very flustered Ms. Heart who was futilely trying to get them to organize.

“Now-now children, there’s plenty for everypony. Just line up and-”

The giggling little griffon landed on Ms. Heart’s back.

“AGH. Helga, what have I said about talons?”

The griffon shrunk into herself at the adult’s withering glare, leaving me to smile again and flick my magic across the room.

In a flash of light, all of the children were teleported into a line.

A few tried to run back to Ms. Heart but I pulled them into place whenever they did.

“You should listen to Ms. Heart.”

The orphanage matron flashed me a quick smile before grabbing bowls for the kids.

She efficiently ladled stew into each bowl before handing-no hoofing it over?

I hate syntax.

Like a factory worker, she served the whole line of hungry orphans in only a minute or two.

I got a bowl too, but instead of joining the sure disaster that would be breakfast, I decided to go eat in the lobby.

Ms. Heart sighed at my intentions but was quickly pulled into some little kid drama.

Somebody stole someone else’s seat or some nonsense like that.

As I walked through the hall towards the exit, I noticed something.

The trim between the wall and floor was warped in several places.

I pushed the wood into place and a touch of chaos helped fix the issue.

I continued but stopped again once I heard something snap.

I looked down to see nothing wrong, though I knew something happened. I took a breath before moving on.

I can worry about that later, breakfast NOW.

More snaps like the mystery crack before, some more warped trimming, and even a loose floorboard made my eyes twitch.

Nothing big, just small, little, itsy bitsy problems that would take residence in my head, like that one stoner cousin everyone has that would surf your couch for weeks on end.

No matter how hard I tried to ignore them, the problems would keep building and building like water behind a dam.

By the time I sat down I had acquired an eye tic and my head would twitch one way or the other as I ate.

I chewed like a marionette and my magic would instinctively reach out towards an issue before I would rip the tendril of power back.

I think the stew was good, spicy, and sweet at the same time, with a creamy texture that would occasionally be punctuated by a sharp crunch.

However, the twitching kept ripping my focus from the meal.

Ok, just calm down. You can fix all that later. Just get breakfast over with.

Another breath and I managed to refocus on the most glorious meal of the day!

Then the board I was sitting on cracked.

I began whipping my head around the room, spotting no one.

With the coast clear, I tapped the side of my jaw and opened wide. With a vacuum noise, I inhaled the rest of breakfast, the bowl, a little dust, and I think I got a splinter in my gums.

A loud groan echoed through the building as I heard one of the ancient walls protest its continued employment.

A quick slap of chaos ended that complaint but I could almost feel the rest of the orphanage rally its most decrepit parts, like a cloud of beetles, or a gang of teenage Walmart employees!

No! That accursed place must remain in the past… Never, again.

I shuddered at distant memories of the Walmartians, the darkest of which being on the d-day of retail. Black Friday.

With a calming breath, I began working.

I flattened trimming, reset floorboards, strengthened walls, and filled in cracks.

Nails and magic were my tools, pinning renewed wood into place.

Sometimes one of the kids would come by and ask to help.

I would say ‘sure’ and conjure something for them to do.

However, as kids want to do, they all scampered off after a couple of minutes of ‘aid.’

I would always answer with a light chuckle before moving on.

When I neared the kitchen, I felt a pair of eyes boring into my shoulder.

“Why?”

I jerked my head in Sugarplum’s direction as I cocked an eyebrow.

“Why what?”

“Why did you fix everything? Why do you care? Why…”

Tears began to fill her eyes and her lips started quivering.

A cold numbness spread out from my heart as I felt each beat throb in my skull.

The muscle desperately tried to hammer away at invisible walls in my mind.

“Why don’t you hate us?”

I blinked a couple of times as I felt a warmth banish the numbness around my heart and a sharp cold creep up my back

“I care because somepony needs to. I care because others are obviously too blind to see your troubles, caught up in their own lives as they are. I care because it feels right to do so.”

Sugarplum sniffled as she continued to glare at me, but I saw something, a spark, a minuscule flash of white crossed her pupils.

I pushed on.

“And why should I hate you? Have you done big evil things, have you ruined the lives of others, have you done something to me? I doubt you have done any of that, so why should I hate you?”

She screwed her eyes shut as she whined at me.

“Because I’m a foul-mouthed filly that can’t behave, because I can’t find anything that I enjoy doing, because not even my own, Celestia damned parents, wanted me!”

My ears twitched at the sobbing and I felt my soul lose something.

Like an infinitesimally small sliver of light falling off of a bright star.

The world lost just a touch of color, outlines sharpened, and the shadows seemed to grow.

“And yet.”

Sugarplum looked up at me through misty eyes and gritted teeth.

“All I see is a little pony who needs a little help.”

She crouched and stepped back. “N-no. No. You don’t mean that, you can’t mean that!”

I stepped forwards a couple times but she maintained a fixed distance, so I sat down with a soft smile.

“I can’t mean that? Might I ask why?”

She sobbed before shrieking at me.

“Because no one did before!”

I frowned at her.

“Doesn’t Ms. Heart care?”

“She cares about everypony, it’s just in her nature! She doesn’t care about me, she cares about a little orphan filly that she wants to behave!”

“Does the difference matter?”

Silence reigned for an instant.

“If it doesn’t, and Ms. Heart, in fact, does care, then why can’t I?”

She sprinted into me before wrapping my leg in a tight hug.

I felt trails of liquid drip onto my fur as she buried her little head in the side of my knee, and the shadows receded, if only slightly.

A grin spread across my face as I spoke with a voice full of energy.

“And I fixed everything because the house was whining at me too much!”

She frowned at me for a moment before letting it melt into a smile.

“You really are an idiot, aren’t you?”

“Yep!”

She let go of me and I finished pushing the last bit of trim into place.

“That should be everything.”

I turned to go but stopped mid-step and turned my head towards a retreating Sugarplum.

“Say where did Ms. Heart go? I thought I’d see her around but she kinda vanished.”

Sugarplum smiled.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?”

I scowled in mock offense.

“And here I thought we made a connection!”

Sugarplum rolled her eyes.

“Stop being so dramatic. She just went out shopping for new bowls! Apparently one disappeared and while she went looking for it, while she was gone Helga tried to clean the dishes. Apparently, she thought that washing dishes was just sticking a bunch of soap on your hooves and rubbing a rag all over.”

The sadistic little mare giggled before continuing.

“I bet Ms. Heart shrieked like with the plundervine when she saw holes in everything!”

I chuckled before beginning to leave again but I called out over my shoulder before reaching the door.

“Try not to get into any trouble!”

“No promises!”

I shook my head as I trotted out onto the streets.

The royal purple hue of dusk shone down onto the cobbled streets.

Though, it did feel a bit more… hollow than before.

With a shrug, I made my way back to my room.

I trotted through the mostly empty bar and nodded at the barkeep while doing so. She nodded back while the pair of stallions from the morning just kept their heads down.

The stairs didn’t creak.

Thank God.

The door didn’t groan.

Magnificent!

And my bed squeaked just the right amount as I flopped onto it.

Perfect!

It took only a moment to slow my unending whirlwind of thought to a standstill and only a moment more to drop into the calm, cold void of sleep.

One last thought echoed through my empty mind as I slipped into the dark. It was wordless, it was silent, but it boomed in my head and stuck to my heart.

Satisfaction.