• Published 25th Sep 2022
  • 852 Views, 26 Comments

Little Ninja - DanishDash



Button Mash gets a Ninja doll as a gift from his uncle Stardust. Little does he know it is possessed by a 500 year old vengeful ninja spirit, that soon drags Button into a demon hunting adventure.

  • ...
0
 26
 852

Chapter 12: The Challenge

Tuesday morning seemed to come earlier than Button would have liked. His mind was still spinning from the realization from yesterday. His ninja plushie was alive, it could talk, and now it had made him promise to help him.

The entire evening yesterday had been spent telling Taiko about Equestria. Apparently he knew of the nation, but had never visited. Button had tried to learn more about Taiko, but he had managed to dodge every question. He had however found out that Taiko wasn't from this time period.

Button wasn't sure how old he was, but he was definitely old enough to be shocked at the many advances in technology. Button Mash had given him the basic rundown of Equestria, and Taiko had asked a few follow up questions. He didn't ask any more after that, and Button couldn't get anything out of him regarding who or what he was.

But now it was morning, and Button was on his way out of the house. After eating breakfast and saying goodbye to his mom, he had a toast slice with some butter for Taiko. The little ninja himself had requested the food, although Button wasn't really sure what he wanted to do with it.

As Button trotted outside, he was sure he could hear munching coming from his saddlebag. "What are you doing?" Button asked.

"What do you think?" Taiko replied in between bites. Or at least Button assumed it was bites.

"I didn't think you needed to eat."

The munching stopped, and Taiko's little head popped out of the saddlebag. "Need, no, want to? Yes. I haven't had bread like this before, or butter."

Button frowned. "How come?"

"I'm from the dark ages, Button. We didn't make butter or bread the way you are making them now." So Taiko was from the dark ages? Button had expected as much, although he hadn't been sure. He wanted to ask more, but right then Taiko nudged his side impatiently. "Now get a move on, we don't want to be late!"

Button frowned. "What if we meet Bulky?"

"We will, but let's try to avoid him until the lunch break."

"Why?"

Taiko shook his head. "Just trust me."


Tuesdays were always special, because it meant they had workshop class at Sweet Apple Acres. Ms. Cheerilee would be there, but it was Apple Bloom's brother, Big Mac, who taught them everything he knew about woodwork and the likes.

He was a massive stallion, not fat, but big and muscly after years of hard work on the family farm. Button only knew him by reputation, and what he had overheard from Apple Bloom. Normally he didn't speak much, but when it came to explaining the class about tools, and what they had to do, he managed to explain in terms you could understand. He had patience, and was all around a pretty chill stallion.

Button liked his lessons, even if he wasn't the most talented workshop student...

So far Button had managed to stay out of Bulky's way and sight. With the class going out to Sweet Apple Acres, it was pretty easy to avoid him. So far he did not seem to be paying Button any mind, at least for now. As the time went on, it became lunchtime, and Big Mac and Ms. Cheerilee let them all eat outside in the sunshine, while they trotted off, probably to get some coffee.

It was then that Button snuck off out of sight from the others. He opened his saddlebag, and looked down at the little ninja. Taiko blinked, shielding his button eyes with his tiny hoof as the flap was opened. "Right," said Button Mash. "It's lunchtime, what now?"

"Is the teacher there?"

Button shook his head. "No, she went with Big Mac to get some coffee I think..."

"Perfect!" Taiko punched his other hoof, and while Button could not see, he imagined the little ninja was smirking behind the hood, if he even had a mouth. "Then we have to strike now, before Bulky gets a chance to set the terms."

"What do you mean?"

"Just trust me, Button. Go to the others, and get up on the table." Taiko explained. "Can you whistle?"

"Uhm, yeah?"

"Good, do it when you get up on the table, make sure you have everyponys attention."

Button frowned. "Then what?"

"You just have to mimic speaking, I'll be the one talking." Taiko patted the saddlebag. "Get it?"

Button hesitated for a moment, but then nodded, and put the saddlebag back on before trotting back to the others. The rest of the class was sitting around on benches scattered around the front of Sweet Apple Acres. As usual there were small clusters of friends talking here and there. The Cutie Mark Crusaders sat by themselves, talking excitedly about something Button could not hear.

Spotting Bulky was much easier than finding Waldo in the books, he stood out like a sonic rainboom. Button gulped, but trotted over to an empty table and climbed up on top. Some of his classmates were already giving him weird looks, but he ignored them and looked back at Taiko in his bag. He gave a small encouraging nod, and so Button did as asked.

He let out a loud clear whistle that cut through the noise of his classmates. Everypony went silent, and their eyes all turned towards him, including Bulky's. For a moment he thought that Bulky would come charging at him, but then his voice called out from the saddlebag.

"Hey, everypony!" It really sounded like Button Mash, so much so it creeped the real Button Mash out. He felt a nudge in his side, as Taiko whispered to him in his own voice. "Mimic, you idiot." Button took a deep breath, and opened his mouth as if to speak.

Taiko spoke up, using Button's voice yet again. "You all know Bulky Brawn!" Button opened and closed his mouth the best he could, and then pointed over at Bulky. Everypony looked at Bulky, then back at Button. Bulky Brawn looked at Button, his eyes as cold as ice.

Taiko continued. "How many of you have at some point or another been harassed by this bully?" Button continued to mimic in his best kung-fu movie style, while he gestured dramatically towards them all. It only took a moment before several classmates raised their hooves, including one of Bulky's friends, but he lowered it as soon as Bulky sent him a glare.

"Therefore will I, Button Mash, in the name of justice challenge you, Bulky zit face." Button was too scared to even look at Bulky as Taiko talked. Several of his classmates laughed, clapped, and there was even one 'yeah!' Among them. "You and me, Saturday at school, nine PM, if you dare!"

Bulky jumped up from his seat. "Are you insane?!"

Button whispered desperately to Taiko. "Are you insane?"

Bulky yelled, "if I dare?! I'll destroy you!"

"If you win," continued Taiko. "Then I'll promise to show up at school in a chicken costume on Monday!" Everypony laughed and clapped.

Bulky pointed at him. "You won't be able to walk on Monday!"

Button felt like fainting, and he had a hard time getting air. Still he continued to mimic, knowing there was no turning back now. "In which case I'll take pictures from my hospital bed and post them all around school." Promised Taiko, much to Button's horror. The others clapped, and nodded respectfully. "Maybe I'll get my flank handed to me!"

"Maybe?!" Bulky interrupted, smirking. "It's a guarantee!"

"Then you won't mind promising that if I should be lucky enough to win, then you will show up at school with a chicken costume?" More applause from the audience, and some even let out a 'oooooh.'

"It's a deal." Bulky responded, smiling broadly now. "You are SO dead."

"Button Mash!" Ms. Cheerilee's voice suddenly called out from the farmhouse. "Get down from the table!"

"Yes please..." Mumbled Button, and started to get down.

Rumble and a few other colts came trotting up to Button, all grinning widely. They were all talking at once, all sharing their admiration for him, and how cool they thought Button was. Rumble patted Button on the shoulder. "What is going on with you, Button?" You're not dying or something?"

Button let out a small nervous laugh. "No, not yet..." Rumble grinned, and continued his praises with the other colts. Button let out a sigh, glancing around as the others talked over one another. Then he spotted Sweetie Belle, still sitting with her two friends, but she was looking his way.

Their eyes met for a split second, but then she looked away. Did she blush..?


When the last lesson ended, Button and Rumble made their way out of the schoolhouse. Rumble was still talking about what happened at lunch. "You were so cool, Button!" He grinned.

"Thanks..." Button replied sheepishly.

"First you called him out yesterday, then today, what has been going on with you lately?"

"I'd like to know that too..." Button mumbled.

Rumble chuckled. "You want to go to Sugarcube Corner?"

Button couldn't think about anything else, but being alone with Taiko, and getting an explanation. "I'm not really feeling so good, I think I'll go home and rest a bit."

Rumble looked a bit disappointed, but then nodded. "Alright, I'll see you tomorrow!" The two parted ways, but before getting too far away, Rumble turned and yelled after him. "I'll come and see the fight Saturday!"

Button waved, then left. Normally the walk back home in the sunlight was a relaxing affair for Button Mash, not this time though. It felt as if his stomach was doing knots. Taiko stuck his head out from the saddlebag, looking his way. He looked pleased with himself.

"So what now, Button?"

"So what now? Isn't that my line?"

"How does it feel?"

Button replied sarcastically. "How does it feel that I'm going to die Saturday? Or how does it feel that my friends are excited to see me die on Saturday?"

"Don't you feel more alive than you ever have before?"

Other than the fear knot in his stomach, he had to admit the ninja had a point. It was like his blood was moving a bit faster now, and there was a bit more calm over him. "Maybe..."

Taiko smiled, that much was clear even though his mouth was hidden inside the hood. "Then forget what happens Saturday."

Button didn't like the sound of that. "Does that mean you're not going to do something?"

Taiko still smiled, and answered in a teasing tone. "Are you going to do something?" What the hell, was this some sort of trick question?

"Me?!"

Taiko looked serious. "I can't do it for you, but I can help, we can do this together.

Button sighed. "It's a bad plan, we should just have kept a low profile..."

Taiko interrupted. "And wait to be beat up by Bulky?" The little ninja sounded angry, so Button didn't reply. "We have challenged him, so we can control the upcoming battle. Firstly, we have chosen the place, which gives us an advantage. Secondly, we chose the time, that means we know when he arrives, and so can arrive before him."

Button listened, then relaxed a bit. It was nice to know Taiko really had thought about it. "It also means that you don't have to trot around worrying to get beat up before Saturday at nine."

"We can't know that for sure."

Taiko nodded. "He'll wait patiently for Saturday. Even if you meet him right now he won't touch you, I'll guarantee it! He looks forward to kicking your ass in front of the entire school. He has every chance to win easily, and you have even promised to show up at school wearing a chicken costume. That gives us the biggest advantage, the bait is so good that Bulky forgets to think about anything other than he is going to win a fair fight."

Button smiled expectantly. "And it won't be fair?"

"Are you an idiot? A warrior lives for one thing, to fight, and he fights for one thing."

"To win?"

Taiko pointed at Button. "Boom!"