• Published 12th Sep 2012
  • 1,244 Views, 29 Comments

Chaotic Symphony - Deathstrider



When Vinyl Scratch splits up with her long time partner can anything or anypony make her happy again

  • ...
1
 29
 1,244

Chapter 7

EDITED BY Lunat1c CHECK OUT HIS WORK :D(http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Lunat1c)

CHAPTER 7

Heat. Blistering, unrelenting, heat. That was all Vinyl could feel. As she hauled herself off the ground her hooves gave way, causing her to tumble down what seemed like a rather large hill. She attempted standing up again, this time succeeding. She shielded her eyes against the sun's offensive rays and opened them.

This was definitely not Ponyville. She was standing in the middle of a Desert. A wasteland of dust and sand. She had to get her bearings to find out where she was. She looked around herself, she was standing in a valley in between two taller sand dunes. She couldn't see anything from the bottom, so she began to climb up one of them. As Vinyl neared the top a gust of wind caught up some sand blowing it into her unprotected eyes, the microscopic, abrasive rocks rubbing against the flesh of her eyeballs.

"Argh." She croaked in pain, her throat all dry and seized up, due to the lack of water present. As she reached the top she looked around. Desert, desert and more desert. She spun around in a full circle. That was all that was there, nothing but sand. She strained her already sore eyes in an attempt to see further, and she could, but there was still nothing, not even a group of those middle-eastern traveller ponies, or a lone pegasus patrolling the sky.

Vinyl sat down. Realisation kicking in. She was going to die. Alone. Without anyone to talk to, without anyone to share her suffering with. She felt the world spinning and everything started to go fuzzy, she gagged only aggravating her throat to a further extent, she collapsed to the floor, finding it hard to breath, and with that, she blacked out.


The first rays of the next day crept through the window, falling onto Fluttershy's sleeping face. She gently got up, trying not to wake the also sleeping Rainbow Dash. She stood up, stretched and walked across the room to check on her patient, she placed on of her hooves on Vinyl's forehead, she was burning up, badly. Fluttershy took off the blankets and went into her kitchen to fetch some ice. When she got back Rainbow had moved from sitting up in the armchair to slumping across it in the same fashion as a pony sized sack of potatoes. Fluttershy smiled and went back to the task at hand.


As Vinyl pulled herself up from the ground the first thing that she noticed was she was still, very much alive. Was this hell? Was this heaven? She had never believed in the afterlife, so it can't have been one of those. Was she hallucinating? So many questions where going through her mind, she could figure out answers later, but now she had to figure out where she was. It was cold, bitterly cold, wherever she was, it still wasn't Ponyville. She was knee deep in snow, in what looked like a mountain pass.

"Hello?" She shouted, hoping for somepony to be close by. "HELLO?! IS ANYPONY THERE?!" She shouted at the top of her lungs. Her voice echoed around the pass and she realised calling for help was useless. She knew that she would have to find somewhere to shelter from the cold and snow, and quick. She started down the mountain path in a hope to escape the snow and get to a warmer area. After a few hours of walking down the mountain, Vinyl's body felt sapped. Her legs were cold and her skin had turned a worrying shade of light blue, her legs being the worst affected. She tried to call out for help again but only came up with a painful cough. She scrunched her face up from the pain. Damn that hurt. She tried to carry on walking but felt as if she had been frozen, heck, she probably was partially frozen from the snow. From deep inside of herself she summoned up the will power to keep moving, but her body had other ideas, as she raised her leg to keep going the other three of her legs gave out, folding underneath her, as she fell into the snow. She didn't care anymore. She was going to die. Alone. Without anyone to love, without anypony to hold for warmth. Not only could she feel cold on the outside of but body, she could also feel it within, her lungs icy caverns, her guts a frozen labyrinth, her heart an icicle, cold and hostile to anything that tried to touch it. She lay her head on her hooves and closed her eyes, trying to block out both the physical and emotional pain. She felt her heartbeat drop she heaved in one last breath and exhaled her final sigh.


It was the sound of a cough that got Fluttershy's attention. A dry, raspy cough from her living room. It can't have been Rainbow, as she was helping Fluttershy with all the little jobs that needed doing in Fluttershy's garden and the surrounding area, it must have been Vinyl. Fluttershy put down the trowel that she was using for her plants and trotted inside, after washing her hooves she went through to the front room and checked Vinyl's temperature, she had returned to an acceptable heat and no longer needed the ice, Fluttershy removed the coolant from Vinyl's forehead and turned around to see a cyan pegasus right in front of her.

"Aaaahhhhhhhhhh! Burgler! help!" Fluttershy wailed trying to get somepony's attention, flailing her hooves at the assailant.

"Fluttershy it's me." Rainbow said with a look of annoyance on her face.

"Oh, hi Rainbow." Fluttershy said with a guilty smile that broke the other pegasus' nerve.

"Yeah, what are you doing?" Rainbow asked, any irritation gone from her system.

"Oh, I was erm, looking after Vinyl. She's much better now. I think." Fluttershy said, her smile faltering slightly, Rainbow saw the look and knew she had to say something.

"I'm sure she'll be fine with a great doctor like you." She said poking Fluttershy on the shoulder lightly.

"Oh, thank you, it's just, I don't normally treat other ponies." She finished, casting a concerned look towards Vinyl. Another cough from Vinyl reminded Fluttershy what she was doing. "Excuse me, Rainbow, I need to get a drink for her." Fluttershy apologised, walking into the kitchen.