• Published 21st Dec 2021
  • 449 Views, 5 Comments

Art is the Weapon - The Red Parade



Flash Sentry never thought that art would be his downfall.

  • ...
5
 5
 449

Tail Between Your Legs

I don’t believe that I’m the type of pony to play dumb to their weakness.

I know I come on strong, I know I overcommit, and I know that I’m quite a few eggs short of a full basket.

But I still haven’t learned that sometimes I need to pay more attention to how other ponies actually feel. It’s… a foalsih thing I’m sure, but damn it if I’m nothing more than a foal in adult armor.

I thought a lot about what I did to him. How I led him on without realizing it, just because I was bored and thought I knew better. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve done this.

I hope it’ll be the last time but…

It’s on me to make sure, isn’t it?

This is a problem for another time. Right now, I feel awful. I burrowed up under my blankets at home and couldn’t stop thinking about his face. The disappointment, sadness… I never thought I was capable of hurting someone like that with nothing more than my words.

I’m sure Magnus has a word for how I’m feeling right now. He probably has a story too about how that term came to be, how it was circulated and used, and how it’s miles better than anything we use today. He surely wouldn’t have dug this hole, but maybe he’d have a way out.

But Flash Magnus isn’t here.

I’m here.

And I’ve made a beautiful mess.

I keep thinking about that painting and how perfect and beautiful it was. I’ve never even thought of art like that before. But the passion he put into it… and the disappointment following from my empty canvas.

I can’t let it end there.

I have to make it up to him. And I think I know how.


Flash had never been so nervous.

He flew up the steps and skidded to a halt in front of the gallery, carefully balancing the wrapped package on his back. With a deep breath Flash shoved open the door and barreled inside, shivering as the cool air greeted him.

Flash spared the paintings a second glance and headed for the backroom. “Hey, Spearhead?”

The door opened and Spearhead, face clean of paint this time, appeared. “Huh? Oh, Flash. I… didn’t think you’d come back.”

“Ah, yeah.” Flash rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled. “I… I just wanted to apologize for yesterday.”

Spearhead raised an eyebrow. “You don’t have to, y’know.”

“I felt bad. I really didn’t mean to lead you on then just… I feel bad that I didn’t even try when you made that piece for me.” He glanced over to the far side, where the easels still sat.

Spearhead smiled. “Oh hey, no worries. Not everyone can be into art.”

“Here, I made this for you.” Flash took the package and set it on a nearby table.

Spearhead opened it, gasping when he saw what it was. “Wow. Did you…”

“Yeah,” Flash said, chuckling weakly. “I, uh. I painted that. For you.”

The canvas was covered in a mess of color, and what appeared to be a stick pony painted in the middle.

“Hah! Wow, this is great,” Spearhead said, a big grin breaking onto his face.

“Oh, you can be honest,” Flash replied.

“Then yeah, it’s pretty terrible. But you put your heart into it, I can tell.” Spearhead put a hoof on Flash’s withers. “That’s what comes first!”

Flash nodded. “That… yeah, that makes sense.”

Spearhead squinted and leaned in. “Hey you got, like, paint in your mane!”

“Huh? I–” Flash looked up only to find himself south to snout with Spearhead.

The two immediately blushed, but neither looked away.

“Hey, um… I wasn’t being completely dishonest yesterday,” Flash sputtered. “I… you are kinda cute.”

Spearhead flushed a deeper red. “O-Oh! Um, wow, that’s… I think you are too!”

“So… would you like to go out with me?” Flash stammered.

Spearhead grinned and leaned a little closer. “I’d love to. I think I can make an artist out of you yet.”

“In your dreams, Spears,” laughed Flash.

“Tell me one thing though. What’d you do to get forced to come here?”

Flash chuckled weakly. “Ah. See, I uh, kinda practiced too hard for a ceremony. Made a… pretty big mistake. See, I… Well, I accidentally poked Luna in the ass with my spear.”

Spearhead blinked. Then, he let loose a hearty laugh, so infectious that Flash himself couldn’t help but laugh along.

Then, the two leaned in, and when their lips connected there was no piece of artwork in the world that could’ve shown what they were feeling.

Comments ( 3 )

Howdy, hi!

I see what you did there and I approve. This was great! Absolutely love the dynamic between the two of them. The opening anecdotes are super fun, and I like the flow of the whole thing. Absolutely adore my hearthswriting gift, thanks Red!

This was an unusual pair, and an interesting way to have them interact. Flash unknowingly leading him on is also a conflict I haven't seen in a short fic like this before. The inserts about Flash Magnus were also a lot of fun. Great job!

But I still haven’t learned that sometimes I need to pay more attention to how other ponies actually feel. It’s… a foalsih thing I’m sure, but damn it if I’m nothing more than a foal in adult armor.

i mean don’t we all feel that way sometimes

I’m sure Magnus has a word for how I’m feeling right now. He probably has a story too about how that term came to be, how it was circulated and used, and how it’s miles better than anything we use today. He surely wouldn’t have dug this hole, but maybe he’d have a way out.

But Flash Magnus isn’t here.

love that this also explains why this chapter breaks the structure

The canvas was covered in a mess of color, and what appeared to be a stick pony painted in the middle.

idk sounds like good outsider art to me!

Flash chuckled weakly. “Ah. See, I uh, kinda practiced too hard for a ceremony. Made a… pretty big mistake. See, I… Well, I accidentally poked Luna in the ass with my spear.”

rip

Then, the two leaned in, and when their lips connected there was no piece of artwork in the world that could’ve shown what they were feeling.

aww!


just love how well you capture the energy and feel of Otter’s work in this. that is skill, and what a great gift!

Login or register to comment