• Published 17th Dec 2021
  • 246 Views, 0 Comments

Cinder Star 4 Legend of the Kelpies - Nocturn Dreamwrite



Cinder Star and her family help save a kelpie's life after a shocking reveal.

  • ...
 0
 246

Cinder Star: Legend of the Kelpies

Cinder Star

Legend of the Kelpies

By: Nocturn Dreamwrite

Once upon a fourth time, in the days when the lands of Equestria were still new with life, a candlelit window could be seen among many of the castle overlooking the Kingdom of Unicornia. This window, however, was special because it was the bedroom window of the room in which lived a little unicorn filly with a brown coat and a light blue mane and tail. The filly was indeed the young Princess Serenity of Unicornia. It had been just over two years since her birth, and Serenity was already growing to become the lovely mare she would one day be, but she still had a lot of growing up to do before then.

For now, Serenity was enjoying the life of a bouncy foal, although it was now her bedtime. It was neither early nor late in the evening, but it was just the right time for a young foal to get their rest whether they liked it or not. Serenity already lay upon her bed, but at least she was getting to hear her mother, Princess Cinder Star, tell her a bedtime story first. It was her favorite story: the story of how her mother and father met and fell in love. Cinder Star was just coming to the end of her tale.

“…And so Majestic slid my glass slipper onto my hoof and it fit perfectly!” Cinder Star narrated. “I was very glad, but also afraid because I was an earth pony, and he was the Unicorn Prince. But when he told me that it didn’t matter to him whether I had a horn on my head or not, we confessed our love for each other, and then set off back to the castle together.”

“And then…?” asked Serenity. She knew this story by heart, but she would always get excited for it anyway.

“Well…,” came another voice. Cinder Star and Serenity turned their heads to see Prince Majestic, standing in the doorway. He grinned at his wife and daughter as she walked into the room and sat next to Cinder Star. “Your grandfather was a bit surprised when he met Star, and saw that she was not a unicorn, but an earth pony.”

“That is true,” said Cinder Star, “But once he saw our love for each other he gave us his blessing. We were married a week later, and we have been living happily ever after, ever since,” she finished.

“Indeed we are,” agreed Majestic as he and Cinder Star shared a little lover’s kiss. Serenity giggled and hid her eyes behind her fore hooves for a moment in gleeful embarrassment. “That’s a great story!” Serenity said happily. “I love the ending best of all! Can you tell me another?” she asked.

“Don’t you think it’s time to go to sleep, Serenity?” replied Cinder Star in a motherly voice.

“Oh, pleeeese!” begged Serenity as she give her parents her cutest sad-eyed look.

Majestic looked at Cinder Star and smiled. “Perhaps just tonight?” he suggested.

Cinder Star stared blankly back at him, but after a minute, a small smile appeared on her face and she gave in. “Oh, fine,” she said, “But just for tonight, and you have to tell this one.”

“Yes, Dear,” said Majestic. He then looked seriously at Serenity. “But you have to go right to sleep, young Lady.”

“Yes, Daddy,” agreed Serenity. “Yes, Mommy.” She then gave Majestic her full attention. “Can it be an exciting, mysterious story?” she asked. “Oh, but not too scary?”

Cinder Star was concerned by this. “Is that a good idea, at bedtime?” she asked, uncertain.

“Yes, yes!” said Serenity. “A daring story to go with a sweet story. It’s perfect!”

“Very well,” replied Majestic. “I can tell you the story of… the Legend of the Kelpies.”

“Oh, yes, please,” said Serenity excitedly.

“This story goes back to the very earliest days of Equus,” said Majestic. “As you know, there are, for certain, three kinds of ponies in Equus: the unicorns, the earth ponies, and the pegasi, but it was once believed that there was a fourth kind: the kelpies.”

“Oooh,” remarked Serenity. “What is a kelpie?”

“A kelpie is a horse that can swim and live beneath the waters of the ocean sea,” explained Majestic. “They have gills so they breathe under the water, and they wear strands of seaweed and kelp in their manes and tails. The kelpies are as mysterious as the depths of the ocean itself. No one has seen a kelpie for a long time, many years, in fact. It is said that, like dragons, kelpies like to keep to themselves, but unlike dragons, kelpies are deceiving and evil when they do decide to walk up on shore. They can change their sea water appearance on land to look just like any land walking horse, and play terrible tricks on those they meet.”

“The legend also says,” continued Majestic, “That there once was a kelpie mare that fell in love with stallion of the land. It is not remembered if he was a pony, unicorn, or pegasus, but what is known is that, although he loved her at first, he then fell in love with another mare, this one of the land. The kelpie mare was so enraged by this that she grabbed the stallion with her fanged mouth and dragged him beneath the waves of the ocean.”

“W-what happened to them?” asked Serenity nervously.

“No one knows,” answered Majestic. “They were never seen again. It’s likely though, she drowned him, and then disappeared herself, left with only her grief. Now, don’t worry, little filly,” he said when he saw Serenity shiver. “You have nothing to fear. As I said, no one has seen a kelpie for many, many years, if they even still exist. We live miles away from the ocean, and besides…,” he leaned his head down and nuzzled his daughter on her cheek. “You have your Daddy right here to protect you from any monster.” He suddenly tickled her belly with his right fore hoof, causing her to break out in giggles again.

“All right,” said Cinder Star in an amused, but no-nonsense voice. “That’s enough for tonight.” She leaned her head down and kissed Serenity on her fore head. “Good night, Sweetie.”

“Good night, Mommy,” replied Serenity as she rested her head against her pillow, and drifted off to sleep. “Good night, Daddy.”

“Good night,” whispered Majestic as he blew out the candle on their daughter’s night stand. He and Cinder Star then walked quietly out of the room, and closed the door gently behind them. Their chambers were next to Serenity’s so they did not have far to travel. “I love story time,” sighed Majestic as they got ready for bed themselves.

“As do I,” said Cinder Star as they snuggled next to each other. “And… your story was very interesting,” she complimented her husband. “I just hope that we will all sleep peacefully after hearing such a chilling tale.”

“Don’t worry,” Majestic reassured her. “I’m sure Serenity will be fine, and every night beside you is a peaceful night.” Cinder Star smiled at that and kissed his nose. “Oh, you,” she laughed softly. “You’re sweet. Good night, Jes.”

“Good night, my shinning Star.” replied Majestic as he held her close and they fell asleep.

. . .

Majestic was right, they all did sleep well, and the next day, Serenity joined her parents in their chambers for breakfast, as usual. Serenity quickly ate her bread and fruit so that she could have a pastry, and then she hopped up onto her hooves. “I’m all finished! May I go and play with Red now?” she asked.

Cinder Star smiled. “You may,” she replied, “But be sure you’re back in an hour for your lessons today.”

“Yes, Mommy!” promised Serenity as she bounded happily away. As usual, she wore her little silver tiara and her favorite little silver slippers on her little hooves so she could look just like her mother. She never went anywhere without them. She had tried to wear her mother’s glass slippers before, but they were, of course, much too big for her. It was also well known that Serenity loved to dance and she would often do so quite gracefully in her spare time. Serenity soon found her best friend, Ready Blaze out in the castle gardens, or rather, he found her.

Ready Blaze was the son of Sir Light Shield and Cinder Star’s sister, Lady Rose Petal, though most everyone called him ‘Red’ for short. He was a unicorn colt with a red coat and a green mane and tail. Ready Blaze was a year younger than Serenity, which meant he was a yearling, but he was very fast and the perfect playmate for her, as they both loved to play tag. The two foals were cousins in all but blood, since Cinder Star and Rose Petal were actually step-sisters. Ready Blaze was already waiting for Serenity outside, and hiding behind a rose bush, where he heard her call, “Red! Red, where are you?!”

As Serenity trotted by the bush, Ready Blaze suddenly leaped forward and pounced on her, pinning her to the ground with his fore hooves. “Got you, Shoes!” he said triumphantly. Only Ready Blaze called Serenity ‘Shoes’ to tease her.

Serenity pretended to be dismayed as she looked up at him. “Yes, yes you did,” she answered. “Oh, what ever shall I do? Wait… I know!” She gave Blaze and toothy grin. “I’m going to get you, and give you a kiss, yearling!”

“Ew! Yikes!” said Ready Blaze as he hastily took his hooves off of her and ran the other way. Serenity was not actually going to kiss Ready Blaze when she caught him. This was a clever trick of hers, because she knew that threatening to do so would make him get off of her very fast indeed. Now she was free to chase him down. “Look out, yearling!” she called. “Here I come!”

“You won’t catch me!” Ready Blaze called back. “Because I’m a red blaze!” Ready Blaze was fast, but Serenity was clever. She let Ready Blaze take the lead, but followed close enough to keep an eye on him. Once he thought he was safe, she then circled quietly around so she was now in front of him, hidden by the bushes.

Ready Blaze relaxed when he could no longer see Serenity behind him. He smiled to himself, thinking that he had lost her, as he slowed to a trot, and then stopped right in front of the garden’s fountain. “Ha!” he said. “That was easy! I’ll bet she lost a shoe or…”

“BOO!” shouted Serenity as she leapt from between the bushes and bumped straight into him.

“AHHH!” yelled Ready Blaze as he stumbled backward and fell into the fountain with a splash.

“Got you, yearling!” said Serenity as she danced in front of Ready Blaze in triumph. She then looked at him and laughed. “Why, Red! I could be mistaken, but something is telling me you’re all wet!”

By now, Ready Blaze had recovered from Serenity’s surprise attack, and was pulling himself out of the fountain. “Yes, you’re very funny, Shoes,” he said as he tried to keep a stern look on his face, but it didn’t last and a smile appeared. “But…, I have to say, you got me good!” he admitted and joined in her in laughing.

After a few moments, Serenity said, “Come on, Red. Let’s get you dried off, and then we can play a little more before lesson time.”

“I’m right behind you, Shoes,” replied Ready Blaze as he followed her back inside the castle. They quickly found a pair of towels, and Ready Blaze was soon dry again. The two foals then dashed back outside and played for another half hour. They laughed as they chased each other, and then walked slowly though the garden to catch their breath, before they hurried inside again to be on time for their studies that day.

Serenity and Ready Blaze arrived on time at the castle library where their teacher was waiting for them. Their studies that day were as usual: a little math, reading, history, and magic to learn how to use their horns. Their class ended in the mid-afternoon, after which, Serenity and Ready Blaze were allowed to play outside again for exercise. This was how Serenity happily spent her days, while Cinder Star and Majestic attended the Royal Court every morning, and then performed their royal duties in the afternoon. It had been a normal day, but that changed when Serenity met her parents in the castle hallway just as she and Ready Blaze were making their way to the dinning hall.

“There you are,” said Cinder Star as she and Majestic walked up to the foals. She smiled at Serenity and then at Ready Blaze. “Hello, Red,” she greeted him warmly. “How are you today?”

“Hello, Your Highnesses,” Ready Blaze answered her politely as he smiled back. “I am well. Thank you, Aunt Cinder Star, Uncle Majestic.”

“I’m glad,” replied Cinder Star. She then looked back to her daughter. “Come along, Serenity,” she said. “We are going to be joining your Grandparents in their chambers for dinner tonight.”

Serenity beamed with excitement. “Really?!” she asked. “Ooh, what’s the occasion? Oh, wait…” her face fell. “Did I do something wrong?” Even though King Imperial Might and Queen Aurora were her grandparents, and she loved spending time with them, there was still enough room for her to feel nervous around them. They were, after all, the King and Queen of Unicornia.

Majestic laughed. “No, no. It’s not anything that you have done,” he explained. “Your Grandmother and Grandfather want just wants to talk with all of us, privately.”

“Oh, alright then,” replied Serenity, becoming cheerful again. She turned to Ready Blaze. “I have to go. See you tomorrow, Red!”

“See you tomorrow, Shoes!” Ready Blaze answered her as he trotted away to find his parents.

Majestic, Cinder Star, and Serenity then made their way down the hall until they came to the King and Queen’s royal chambers. Majestic knocked on the door, and they heard Queen Aurora’s voice say, “Enter.”

Majestic pushed the door open and they went inside where they found King Imperial Might and Queen Aurora seated at a well carved wooden table. There were five seats at the table, and five plates already prepared. The King and Queen stood to welcome them, as Cinder Star, Majestic, and Serenity bowed their heads in respect. “Your Majesties,” they said together.

“At last! You are here!” said Imperial Might as he smiled with pride at seeing his whole family all at once.

“Thank you for coming so quickly,” said Aurora as she addressed each of them, “My Son, my Daughter-in-law, and little Serenity!”

“Please, sit down and join us,” continued Imperial, “But first…” he extended his right fore leg toward Serenity, “How about a hug for your Grandfather, little one?”

Serenity walked slowly at first toward Imperial, but once she saw that his pleasant face had not wavered, she hurried to him and gave him a hug as he nuzzled her forehead. “Hello, Grandfather,” Serenity greeted him. “Hello, Grandmother,” she said as she gave a hug to Aurora as well. The family then sat down at the table and dinner was served. The Dinner that evening was an excellent vegetable stew with carrots and bread, but the news Imperial and Aurora had to tell would prove to be far more interesting.

Cinder Star was a bit nervous about Imperial and Aurora’s news, herself. They only met with them privately about matters of great importance, just as they had before they asked Majestic and herself to represent Unicornia in Pony Valley two years ago. That trip had ended well, and she had kept in contact with her friend Goldenrod through letters, but even still, important news always made Cinder Star anxious. She felt better, however, when Majestic gave her a reassuring smile, and she realized that it could not be anything terrible if Serenity were also present.

“Now then,” said Imperial as they finished eating, “I suppose we should get right down to it then.” He looked at Majestic and Cinder Star, “Unicornia is going to receive a royal goodwill visit in one week’s time.”

“Oh!” said Cinder Star, as her face broke into a bright smile. “Is Duchess Mulberry coming to visit us from Pony Valley?” she asked hopefully.

Imperial looked down at his hooves and sighed. “No, I am afraid not,” he replied. “Our visitors will be coming from the Empire of Pegasopolis.”

“Ohhhh…” groaned Majestic as he rolled his eyes. “The pegasi are coming. There’s something that we will not be looking forward to.”

“Um… what’s so bad about the pegasi?” asked Serenity.

“From what I have heard,” Cinder Star answered her, “The pegasi are known for their ‘high and mighty’ behavior.”

“Indeed,” added Majestic. “They think that just because they can fly, they should rule everything. Well, they don’t, no matter what they think.”

“It is a pity really,” said Aurora. “It is truly remarkable to see them fly. It must feel wonderful to soar about the clouds they way they do, but they could use a good dose of humility.”

“Surely, though,” offered Cinder Star, who liked to see the good in everyone, “There must be a few of them which are pleasant.”

“I would like to think so,” said Imperial, “But I have yet to meet a kind pegasus, myself. Never-the-less, we shall have to make the best of their visit. Emperor Titan of the pegasi is sending his two sons, Prince Regal and Prince Noble to represent their Empire, along with Prince Noble’s wife, Princess Abyss. As we are the royal family of Unicornia, we should be prepared to be and give at our finest hospitality to them.”

“Yes, of course,” agreed Majestic. “Even though they won’t appreciate it,” he muttered.

“Have you ever met either of the two princes before, Your Majesties?” Cinder Star asked Imperial and Aurora. “Or the princess?”

“Truthfully, no,” replied Imperial. “We have met pegasi before, but none of royalty. However, Prince Regal’s reputation precedes him. Other than being the oldest son and the heir to Emperor Titan’s throne, he’s known for being rude, pompous, arrogant, and somehow quite popular with the pegasus mares.”

“On the other hoof,” continued Aurora, “We really do not know much about his brother, Noble, or his wife Abyss besides their names. It’s likely though, we will find out soon enough, when they arrive.”

“Very true,” said Cinder Star solemnly.

“I just hope they are not too unbearable,” put in Majestic.

“On the bright side,” said Imperial, “This will be little Serenity’s first royal state appearance. She will be standing along side us when we greet our visitors, and join us for the ball we will have for them the following evening.”

“Oh, yes, that’s right!” said Cinder Star as her smile quickly returned. “She is old enough now.”

Serenity beamed. “Really?!” she asked eagerly. “I’m invited too?!”

“But, of course,” replied Imperial.

“Provided that you behave yourself,” teased Majestic as he grinned at the little filly.

“Yes!” said Serenity excitedly. “I will! I promise to be as good as gold, and better!”

“I’m sure you will, Serenity,” Cinder Star chuckled.

. . .

It did not take long for the rest of the castle’s residents to hear about the coming pegasus visitors. As expected, no one was very pleased with the news, but everyone from the knights to the castle servants knew that they would have to put up with the pegasi for the duration of their visit. They began to prepare the castle and themselves for the many demands their visitors were undoubtedly going to have.

The day the unicorns dreaded came one week later. Most of the castle’s staff found themselves standing just outside the castle’s gates on that day to welcome the visitors. King Imperial Might and Queen Aurora stood together in the center of the procession while Prince Majestic, Princess Star, and Princess Serenity stood to their left behind them. They were all wearing their royal regalia and even Serenity wore a royal blue sash to match her parents. Several of the castle’s servants and residents stood behind them the royal family to their right. On either side, standing at attention, and facing each other, were the royal knights. Ready Blaze had wanted to stand beside his father, Sir Light Shield, but, despite his eagerness, he had to stand beside his mother, Rose Petal. He still tried to stand as straight and tall as possible, just like his father. Serenity couldn’t help but think of this as rather funny.

The mood tense as everyone waited and waited for the pegasi to arrive. They were supposed to arrive at Nine O’clock in the morning. Cinder Star could see and feel that everyone was just as anxious as she was by just looking around her. Imperial Might asked a servant for the time, and the young unicorn informed him that it was now ten minuets past nine. “They’re late,” muttered Imperial.

“You don’t suppose anything has happened to them?” asked Cinder Star in a whisper.

“More likely,” Majestic whispered back, “They are making us wait, by arriving whenever they want to.”

“Wait…,” said Aurora, “Here they come!” She pointed upwards with her right fore hoof.

Cinder Star and everyone else looked up in time to see a small fleet of pegasi flying toward them over the horizon. It was truly a marvel to see these flying horses, though, instead of soaring up in the clouds, they were flying a bit closer to the ground than would have been expected. A few minutes later they touched down on the ground before the unicorns one by one, and folded their wings on their backs. There were four pegasus guards, an azure blue, pegasus stallion with a light purple mane and tail, and a white, pegasus mare with a turquoise mane and tail. Their wings, which they folded behind them on their backs, were the same color as their coats, and the last two pegasi were each wearing a fiery red royal sash around their barrels.

For a moment, Cinder Star was confused. It seemed to her that one of the pegasi was missing. She didn’t have long to wait though before everything was made clear for all of them. One of the pegasus guards stepped forward. He cleared his throat and said loudly, “Announcing, His Royal Highness and Heir Apparent, Prince Regal of The Empire of Pegasopolis!”

From out of the clouds high above, a dark pink, pegasus stallion with a lime green mane and tail appeared. He had a fiery red sash around his barrel as well, but on his head he also wore a small crown. He zipped down from the sky with incredible speed, and then glided with his hooves only inches from the ground, heading straight for King Imperial Might! Cinder Star was worried for Imperial, and Majestic made himself ready to pounce on the pegasus if it became necessary. The Unicorn King, however, did not flinch. He stood his ground as the pegasus prince came closer and closer, and the Queen stood firmly beside him in support. At the last moment, Prince Regal flapped his wings hard in a backwards motion several times. The wind his wings made was strong and powerful as he brought himself to a stop, and landed gently on the ground.

King Imperial Might looked down at the pegasus prince with an unimpressed expression as Prince Regal looked up at him with a smug look on his face and held his wings out in a dramatic pose. After a moment, Prince Regal gave a shallow bow of his head. “Your… Majesties,” he said in a venomous voice, before he rose and his voice became proud and boastful, “On behalf of the Empire of Pegasopolis, it is indeed my royal pleasure to represent the crown in this common county.”

Imperial Might did not like Unicornia being called ‘common,’ and neither did anyone else from Unicornia, but Imperial simply gave him a respectable bow and replied, “I see. Welcome, Prince Regal. It is nice to see you too.”

The tense moment was broken by the pegasus guard’s coughing. “And…” he announced, “Their Royal Highnesses, Prince Noble and Princess Abyss.”

The azure blue, pegasus stallion and the white, pegasus mare walked up to stand next to Prince Regal. Unlike Prince Regal, the two seemed to give the unicorns genuine smiles. “King Imperial Might,” said Prince Noble with a respectful bow, “It is a pleasure to visit your country, alongside my brother. My lovely wife and I are happy to be here.”

At this, Princess Abyss gave a curtsy, and then added. “Your country is very beautiful from the sky, Your Majesty.”

Imperial Might smiled. Such good manners were unexpected from pegasi but it was a welcome change. “Why, thank you,” he answered them. “Welcome, Your Highnesses, to Unicornia.” He then introduced the royal pegasi to Aurora, Majestic, Cinder Star, and Serenity.

“It is a pleasure to meet you all,” said Princess Abyss kindly.

“And we are delighted to meet you as well,” replied Cinder Star.

Prince Regal, however, turned his head and glared at the other two pegasus royals. “How would either of you even know if this land is in fact beautiful from the air?” he asked in a mocking voice. “Honestly, brother, you just had to marry the absolute weakest flier in the entire empire. She can hardly get off the ground, and because of your low flight, you both nearly ruined my grand entrance!”

Prince Noble frowned as Abyss took a nervous step back. “Abyss tries her hardest,” Noble said calmly, defending his wife, “But she is a delicate creature, and worthy of the best care and consideration.”

“Humph,” Regal scoffed. “Why did you have to bring her along anyway?”

One of Noble’s eyebrows rose slightly. “You have three mares waiting for you at home,” he pointed out. “If you had the decency to marry one of them, she would be here with you now. You’re just jealous.”

“Jealous, my hoof!” replied Regal. “Indeed not! I am by no means jealous of the most pitiful pegasus to ever fly. Honestly! Father really should have named you, “Dense” or worse, “Dull.”

“My good, Gentlestallions, please,” interrupted Imperial.

“Yes…,” Noble sighed with a nod. “This is silly. I apologize for our behavior, Your Majesty.”

“That’s quite alright,” replied Imperial.

“Ha!” said Regal as he turned away from his brother. “You should be sorry. I have nothing to apologize for, and why are we still standing here?” he asked quizzically.

“Very well,” answered Imperial. “Please follow us,” he said as he motioned toward the castle. “We will see that you are all settled comfortably and well taken care of.”

“That’s a relief,” said Regal. “I was worried we were going to stand in the grass all day!”

Majestic rolled his eyes, shook his head, and then looked at his wife. Cinder Star gave him a sympathetic smile. They both knew this was going to be a long royal visit with Prince Regal around. Majestic then trotted after Regal to make sure that he didn’t get lost in the castle’s hallways. They royal family and the procession of knights and unicorns of the castle quickly followed. As they went, Cinder Star heard the shy Princess Abyss speak up. “Thank you for standing up for me again, Noble,” she said to her husband.

“No worries, my dear,” Prince Noble replied. “It was nothing. Anything for you.”

“But it was!” Abyss answered him. “Your brother is right. I am a weak flier, but you still stand by me anyway. Anyone would think I was suddenly the only pegasus mare around worth fighting for…, and I know I don’t deserve it.”

“Nonsense,” said Noble grandly. “You ARE the only pegasus mare worth fighting for to me, and you do deserve it! You’re my Abyss!”

“Oh…,” teased Abyss with a little grin. “I’m your Abyss, am I?” She stuck her pink tongue out just a little at him, in a cute, sassy way.

Noble immediately blushed. “D-d-d-don’t do that, Dear,” he stuttered. “You know I like it when you do that,” he whispered, “But we are in the presence of company!”

“I know,” Abyss replied. “But I love seeing you blush when I do, my Noble prince,” she said as she gave his cheek a little kiss. “Almost as much as I love you.”

Noble chuckled. “I love you too, though I think we had better wait to express our feelings at the ball tomorrow night. For now, we should not ignore our hosts.” He turned to Cinder Star and Serenity who were now walking next to them as they walked across the castle’s drawbridge and into the court yard. He smiled at them and said, “It truly is an honor to meet you at last, Princess Star.”

“And it is an honor to meet both of you,” Cinder Star answered him, but she was now puzzled. “Please pardon me,” she said respectfully, “But may I ask why you say, ‘at last?’ Do you mean to say that you have heard of me all the way on Pegasopolis?”

“There was a rumor in the Empire that the Prince of Unicornia had married a mare who was not a unicorn. An earth pony, in fact,” explained Noble. “I was curious about this, since the rumor did not include many details, but now I can see that it is indeed true, and I am glad for it. Perhaps Equus is changing for the better. Prince Majestic is certainly lucky to have found you, Princess Star,” he complimented her.

“Thank you,” replied Cinder Star. “And I am lucky to have found him too, but please, call me Cinder Star.”

“Very well,” said Noble, “And… Princess Serenity was it?” he asked the little filly.

“Yes! That’s me!” answered Serenity quickly. “I have never met any pegasi before. Your wings are true wonders!” she complimented the Pegasus Prince and Princess.

“Why, thank you, young filly,” said Abyss as she smiled down at Serenity. “It happens that I haven’t met any unicorns until today either. I have heard that your magic is just as wonderful as our ability to fly!”

“Well…,” admitted Serenity hesitantly as her horn glowed as she used her magic to pick a bellflower from a bush they were passing. “I am still learning how to use my magic, but I am getting better at it.”

“That is very good,” said Abyss, impressed with Serenity’s demonstration. “Practice makes perfect, and you clearly have a great head start!”

“Th-thank you, Princess Abyss,” stammered Serenity as she smiled back.

“Abyss,” repeated Cinder Star thoughtfully. “That’s such a pretty name. Were you named in honor of the ocean, my friend?” she asked.

“Um, no,” Abyss answered. “I was named for the endless expanse of space beyond the cloudy skies. You know, where you find the stars.”

“Oh, I see,” said Cinder Star. “Well, the night sky is pretty, just like your name. It suits you, Abyss.”

“I think so too,” added Noble as he lightly rubbed Abyss’ cheek with his own, causing her to blush.

They entered the castle and then Cinder Star and Serenity showed Noble and Abyss the way to their room which had been prepared for them. The Pegasus Prince and Princess were very pleased and thanked them for their help.

“You are most welcome,” said Cinder Star. “If there is anything else you need, please just ask me, or any of our wonderful servants. We will all be happy to help you. Dinner will be served at Six O’Clock. We all look forward to seeing you tonight.” Noble and Abyss expressed their thanks again, and then Cinder Star and Serenity left them to settle in and make themselves comfortable.

Later that day, after Serenity had gone to the library to for her studies with Ready Blaze, Cinder Star met up with Majestic in the castle gardens. Majestic looked to be more than just a little tired. “My… word…,” he sighed as he sat down on the stone bench next to Cinder Star, “I have heard of snobbish pegasi before, but Prince Regal takes it to a whole new level!” He smiled as he looked at his wife. “I am so happy to come back to a beautiful, smiling face that loves me!”

Cinder Star giggled. “And I always so happy to see you too, dear,” she replied. “Do you want to tell me about it?”

“Not really,” Majestic sighed again. “But I will. That Prince Regal is something else, I tell you! All the way to his room, he kept criticizing everything he saw in the castle that didn’t fit with his standards. I have the feeling that even if there was nothing he could complain about, he would just complain anyway. He was even worse when we arrived at his room. He said, and I quote, Majestic cleared his throat and tried to imitate Prince Regal’s haughty voice, “Not bad, but I suppose it will have to do. I’ve seen much worse! At least unicorns can try to keep a pig’s sty clean!”

Majestic then continued in his own voice, “He complained that the bed was too low, the carpet was too green, and the table wood was too hard. Can you believe that, Star? The table wood was too hard! He is just so unbelievably annoying! I was glad to finally get away from him, but now his is sure to make himself a nuisance to the castle’s staff.”

“So, it went about as well as you had expected,” Cinder Star summarized as she leaned her head on her husband’s shoulder to comfort him.

“Yes, indeed,” said Majestic as he leaned his head on hers. “And the pegasi guards will be just as bad.” They sat quietly together for a short while before Majestic asked, “So, how was your time with Prince Noble and Princess Abyss?”

“Actually, Jes,” said Cinder Star, “It went surprisingly well! Prince Noble was very courteous, and Princess Abyss was so friendly to both Serenity and I. We got along just fine, and they thanked us for our help! They were certainly polite for a pair of pegasi.”

Majestic lifted his head and looked at Cinder Star. “Polite pegasi?!” he echoed back to her. “Huh… I didn’t know there was such a thing. I suppose wonders never cease!”

“It would seem so,” replied Cinder Star. “Granted these are the first pegasi I have ever met, but I’m sure we will manage through their visit, come whatever may!”

“Even if what comes is a repulsive Pegasus Prince with a huge mouth,” teased Majestic.

“Especially one such as him,” laughed Cinder Star.

Majestic beamed as he heard Cinder Star laugh. He always loved hearing her laugh. “Oh, Star,” he said sweetly. “I love how you can make any day a good day by just being yourself!”

“All in a day’s work, Jes,” answered Cinder Star with a small blush.

“Still,” said Majestic as he and Cinder Star stood up again to walk back into the castle. “I must meet Prince Noble and Princess Abyss properly. This is something I have to see for myself.”

“Don’t worry,” replied Cinder Star with a little grin as they walked together, side by side. “I’m sure you will not be disappointed, Dear.”

. . .

Majestic would not be disappointed. At exactly Six O’Clock, Majestic, Cinder Star and Serenity met Prince Noble and Princess Abyss again outside the dinning hall. After greeting them, they all entered the hall together, and quickly formed good company over dinner. Indeed, that evening, Majestic found Prince Noble and Princess Abyss to be very polite, pleasant, and able to carry a conversation. He and Cinder Star both enjoyed talking with them for the duration of the dinner. King Imperial Might and Queen Aurora also found them delightful as did many of the knights. Serenity enjoyed herself as well. She felt very proud to be attending her first ever royal state dinner.

When the first sat down to eat though, Abyss politely asked for her glass cup to be replaced by one not made of glass. “Please pardon my request,” said Abyss to King Imperial, as she blushed with embarrassment, “But I simply don’t trust myself with glasses. I’m afraid that I will drop and break it.”

King Imperial smiled kindly. “As you wish,” he said graciously. “Do not worry about it. A nice filly like you has but to ask.” Abyss’ glass cup was quickly replaced by a silver one. Abyss thanked the King, and the matter was ended, and then forgotten during all the stories and laughter shared around the feast table.

Meanwhile, Prince Regal complained bitterly. The very best food and the best dishes, which were made of gold, were set out on the table, along with the clearest glasses to drink from. However, Regal insisted that the golden plates in Pegasopolis were so much shinier that you could see your face in them and their glasses were more elegant. By now, most of the unicorns had learned to ignore him, but the corrosive tone of his voice was still distasteful. If something did not meet his approval, he would make sure someone heard about it whether they liked it or not. Most did not, but regardless, everyone else present was far more interested in what Noble and Abyss had to say.

“You make such a lovely couple together,” Cinder Star complimented Noble and Abyss later into the evening. “If you don’t mind me asking, how did you two come to meet?” she asked.

Noble looked at Abyss and smiled. “Shall I tell them?” he asked.

Abyss smiled back and replied, “Go ahead. I love it when you tell the story.”

Noble then turned back to Cinder Star and all who were listening at that moment. “Well,” he said as he began his tale, “We first met a little over a year ago. Back then I was rather quiet. I have always felt that I was a bit of an outsider in Pegasopolis since I was never very interested in pegasus sports or politics. I seem to have always had trouble finding where I belong in pegasus affairs, or in Sewell for that matter. I do like flying, but I don’t think that life should be all about, and only about, having a pair of wings.”

“Huff!” interrupted Regal. “Flying IS all there is to life! Our wings make us superior!”

Noble simply rolled his eyes and ignored his brother, as did everyone else. “Anyway,” he continued, “Last summer, our father, Emperor Titan, sent my brother and I to our private royal lodge on the Empire’s eastern coast as a retreat to clear our heads and perhaps find some sense of purpose in our lives. It was a peaceful place. I loved to explore the beach, or to just sit quietly and enjoy the sound of the waves and the gentle wind. I had a lot of time to think and meditate on deep thoughts, but after several days I still hadn’t found any real life purpose to come back with. However, one day, just as the sun had risen over the horizon, and I was about to give up and return to the lodge, I heard hoof steps on the sand. When I opened my eyes and looked, I saw the most beautiful pegasus walking towards me.” He leaned over and nuzzled Abyss, who blushed sweetly.

“That pegasus was, of course, Abyss here,” confirmed Noble. “She introduced herself to me, and explained to me that she was lost. I introduced myself, and invited her to stay the night with us in the lodge. Regal was not pleased about this at all, but we arranged it so that Abyss and I remained on our side of the lodge and he on his. Well, as it turned out, Abyss didn’t actually have anywhere she had to go, and I really enjoyed having her around, so she stayed with us. Abyss and I would take walks down the beach, fly low over the waves, and laugh at our bad attempts to try cooking. In the end I did find my life’s purpose on that retreat. I found Abyss here.” Noble declared as he concluded his story. “We all went back to the capital city of Pegasopolis together, where Abyss and I were married two months later, and we have been living happily ever since.”

“Very well told, my dear,” Abyss congratulated her husband. “Although, he waited so long to propose because he was too shy to ask me to marry him.”

“Abyss!” said Noble as he began to blush with embarrassment. “I did ask.”

“After I encouraged you a little,” replied Abyss as she smiled and stuck her tongue out again just a little at him, causing him to blush even further.

“Do you have any foals?” asked Serenity.

Both Noble and Abyss now blushed at this. “Erm…, no,” answered Abyss, “At least not yet.”

“Abyss and I agreed that we should wait on that until we are both ready,” Noble chuckled nervously. “You know, take one step at a time. I’m just not quite there yet.”

“That was such a sweet story,” said Cinder Star. “Thank you for sharing with us.”

“Indeed,” agreed Majestic. “In some ways, it reminded me of our own story,” he said with a smile to Cinder Star.

“Oh?” asked Abyss curiously. “How so?”

“I’m afraid that story will have to wait until tomorrow night,” said Cinder Star as she glanced briefly up at a clock, on which the hands were about to strike Nine O’clock. “Jes, prefers it when I tell that story, but it’s now past Serenity’s bedtime, and we must ask to be excused for the evening.”

“Granted,” said Imperial, though he couldn’t help but chuckle at Serenity’s response.

“Awww, Mother,” protested Serenity. “Do we have to? Can’t we please stay for just a little longer?”

“I’m afraid not,” replied Cinder Star sternly. “Come along, Serenity.”

“Very well,” said Serenity. She paused briefly to say ‘good night’ to Majestic, and then trotted away after her mother.

“I think, perhaps, we should all retire,” said Imperial. “After all, we have much of our kingdom to show our guests, and the ball in which shall hold in their honor will be tomorrow night. We must not tire ourselves out before then.”

“I suppose that is at least a passable reason,” scoffed Regal, uninterested. “Though, more importantly, a pegasus of MY standing needs his essential rest.”

King Imperial Might and Queen Aurora stood, and everyone else at the table did the same likewise. “Aurora and I shall then bid you ‘good night,’” said Imperial, impressively. “We shall see you again tomorrow morning after sunrise.”

“Just remember that the sun rises over Pegasopolis first,” muttered Regal.

“Ahem,” coughed Noble as he frowned at Regal. He then gave Imperial and Aurora an apologetic smile. “Thank you, Your Majesties. You have most kind.”

With pleasantries ended, everyone then each made their own way to their chambers. Majestic headed straight for his and Cinder Star’s chambers. He arrived in time to see Cinder Star come out of Serenity’s room and quietly shut the door behind her. Cinder Star smirked when she saw him. “Little Serenity was much more tired than she realized,” she remarked to Majestic. “She fell asleep the minute she lay upon her bed.”

“That is so cute!” observed Majestic, as he gave a small laugh. “And she wanted to stay up even later.”

They entered their own chambers and went to bed themselves. “I like our visitors,” said Cinder Star softly as they settled down to rest. “Well, at least two of them. They’re nice.”

“I have to admit they are nice,” agreed Majestic. “You were right. Then again, you are always right, Dear,” he added with a grin as he kissed her good night.

Cinder Star giggled. “I try,” she replied, and they drifted off to sleep.

. . .

The next day proceeded as it had been planned. Following breakfast, Cinder Star and Majestic attended the morning Royal Court as usual. The royal pegasi guests also attended, although Prince Regal dozed off twice. Afterwards, King Imperial Might and Queen Aurora took Regal, Prince Noble, and Princess Abyss on a tour of Unicornia. Cinder Star and Majestic stayed at the castle that afternoon to help prepare for the royal ball that evening. There was much to do. The grand hall had to be decorated, the food prepared, and brass polished. The castle servants hurried back and forth while Majestic and Cinder Star carefully directed the endeavor.

Serenity could not have been more excited. This would be her first royal ball, and she thrilled to be going. She talked endlessly about the ball all day to Ready Blaze. He was going too, but he saw a chance to tease Serenity about it. “Ah…,” he said. “You know, Shoes, a ball is not THAT exciting, Shoes.”


The young princess looked at him and gasped. Serenity couldn’t believe what he had just said. “Yes it is!” she argued. “Everyone is there dressed in their best, and there’s music, dancing, and cake! Do you hear me?! Cake! What do you mean it’s not THAT exciting, Red!?”

Ready Blaze laughed. “You call me Red, but you should see your face, Shoes!”

Serenity fell back and blushed. She tried to hide her now very red face behind her forelegs. “R-Red!” she said accusingly. “You meant to do that! Didn’t you!?”

“Maybe,” Ready Blaze teased. “But since you keep going on about the ball, maybe, since we are both going, you might save a dance for me?” he asked.

Serenity looked up. “How exactly does that work?” she asked him. “Why do you get to go?” A little smile crept onto her face. “You’re just a yearling!”

It was then Ready Blaze’s turn to blush, though it was a bit hard to see since his fur was naturally red. “Well…,” he said. “This is, after all, a royal state ball,” he answered her. We don’t know when this will happen again. It could be in a year, maybe five. So since this is a rare occasion, small details such as age are allowed to be overlooked. For that matter, you would still be going, if you were a yearling.”

“But I’m not a yearling, Red yearling,” Serenity teased him back.

“All right! Settle down.” said their teacher firmly. “Now the ball is tonight, but presently, is it is still day and you have plenty of time yet to concentrate on your reading.”

“Yes, Sir,” the foals said in unison. They turned back to their books, but after a short while, Ready Blaze whispered. “So… are you going to save a dance for me?”

“That depends,” Serenity whispered back. “Will you sneak me an extra slice of strawberry cake?”

“Yes!” Ready Blaze quickly said in a hushed voice.

Serenity smiled at him, and softly replied, “Then we have a deal.”

. . .

King Imperial Might, Queen Aurora, and the three royal pegasi returned late that afternoon. Final preparations were made for the ball while the royals, knights and ladies of the castle prepared themselves. Since this was a royal state ball, only residents of the castle were invited to attend so as not to overwhelm Unicornia’s pegasi guests.

As it happened, since pegasi travel extremely light, Princess Abyss didn’t have anything to wear to the ball, so Cinder Star generously invited her into her chambers so she could borrow a dress for the occasion. Cinder Star’s closet wasn’t very big. She was a humble pony and never asked for much, but she did have several dresses to choose from because Majestic insisted that she deserved the very best. Cinder Star had already chosen to wear her favorite ball gown, a sky blue, silk dress, very similar to the one she had worn to her very first ball, but with her royal blue sash and tiara.

After a few moments, Abyss chose a rose red, satin ball gown with golden beads and red slippers to match along with her red sash. She and Cinder Star were about the same size, so it fit very well on her. Cinder Star only had to carefully cut two holes in the back so that Abyss’ wings could slip through.

“This is very kind of you, Princess Star,” said Abyss, “But you did not have to trouble yourself for me.”

“It’s no trouble at all,” replied Cinder Star with a smile as she finished the alterations for Abyss’ dress. “And please, just ‘Cinder Star’ is fine.”

“All right, um… Cinder Star,” said Abyss, “And you can call me Abyss! Still, I can’t thank you enough for this.”

“I said the very same thing to a little friend years ago,” Cinder Star chuckled. “Don’t worry yourself about it. This is a fancy ball after all, and everyone wants to look their very best.”

Cinder Star inspected her work once more, and then she helped Abyss into her dress. Abyss looked at her reflection in a mirror standing nearby and gasped. “Is… Is that me?” she asked as a smile appeared on her face. She could hardly find the words to say. “I… I look…”

“Wonderful!” Cinder Star finished for her. “You look absolutely wonderful Abyss!”

“Y-yes,” Abyss agreed. “Do you think Noble will like it?” she asked.

“He is going to love it,” replied Cinder Star. “Hmm…” she mused. “There’s just one thing missing.”

“What’s that?” asked Abyss.

“One moment,” said Cinder Star. “She walked over to a nearby vase of flowers and pulled out a single red rose. She then returned to Abyss and carefully placed the rose on her left ear. “There,” finished Cinder Star. “Now it’s perfect.”

“Thank you, Cinder Star,” said Abyss as she gave her a little hug. Abyss’s sea blue eyes twinkled with joy.

“You’re very welcome,” replied Cinder Star. “Would you like to take a closer look?” she asked as she motioned toward the mirror.

“Um… no, thank you,” said Abyss who suddenly seemed to become a bit nervous. “I… uh… I have to go.” She hurried toward the door, but stopped and looked back. “Thank you again, Cinder Star! I will see you soon at the ball?” she quickly asked.

“Yes, of course, Abyss,” answered Cinder Star.

Abyss gave her a quick smile, and then disappeared through the door and down the hall. Cinder Star shrugged, and went to put on her own ball gown and royal regalia. She had just finished, when Majestic entered their chambers only a few moments later. He stopped short when he saw her, and said, “Wow, Star! You look very beautiful tonight!”

“Why, thank you, Jes,” Cinder Star replied as she slipped her glass slippers onto her hooves.

“Did Princess Abyss like the dress you gave her?” Majestic asked as he put on his own royal regalia and purple cape for the ball.

“She did indeed,” Cinder Star answered him, “Abyss was so happy, but then…” She paused to consider her thoughts carefully before she continued, “Well, she thanked me, but then she left rather quickly. Poor mare, she must be nervous about attending her first real ball. I assume that the pegasi don’t have the same kinds of celebrations that we have here.”

“That is true,” affirmed Majestic. “But never fear. I’m sure that Princess Abyss and Prince Noble will enjoy themselves tonight, and, perhaps, maybe even Prince Regal will find something to take his mind off of complaining.”

“Perhaps,” Cinder Star chuckled. “But, either way, we will show them all a good time tonight.”

“Indeed, we shall,” agreed Majestic. Seeing that they were now both ready, he asked her, “Shall we go?”

“We shall,” answered Cinder Star with sweet smile.

Majestic held open the door with his magic, and motioned with his right fore hoof. “Ladies first,” he said, allowing his wife to pass through before him. Cinder Star giggled, and then they walked down the hall side by side to Serenity’s room before they made their way to the grand hall.

The ball that evening was very grand indeed. Cinder Star had attended several balls in the last three years, but she, along with everyone else present, knew that this ball was special. Every ball Cinder Star had been present at had been breathtaking, but royal state balls were very rare as they were private for visiting royals from neighboring countries. In fact, there was usually only one royal state ball a year, so nothing had been spared to make this event exceptional. This ball included the very best salads and deserts and fruit punch, the best decorations, and the best music. The unicorns wanted to at least try to impress the usually hard to impress royal pegasi visitors. This visit, however, was clearly very different from the pegasus visits what they were used to.

From where she stood next to Majestic, Cinder Star could see that Prince Noble and Princess Abyss were definitely impressed and having a good time. Noble, for his part, was so impressed with how beautiful Abyss looked, that he was blushing with a large smile on his face. On the other hoof, Prince Regal looked bored, but at least he was keeping mostly quiet, only making a critical comment once in while, which no one paid any attention to.

Princess Serenity stood next to her parents, completely enchanted by the ball’s magical wonder. It left her speechless. She was wearing a pretty pink dress with her silver slippers and tiara as well as her royal blue sash. She didn’t notice her two aunts and uncles and Ready Blaze approaching, all dressed in their best as well, until they were right beside them. Majestic spoke to Sir Light Shield and Sir Gallant, while Cinder Star greeted her sisters.

“Good evening, Lady Rose Petal! Good evening, Lady Cherry Blossom!” said Cinder Star as she gave each of them a gentle hug. She was careful so as not to muss their ball gowns. “My dear sisters.”

“Good evening, Princess Star,” the sisters replied, as they both gave a small curtsy. “It certainly is a pleasant evening,” said Cherry Blossom.

“And by the looks of it,” added Rose Petal, “It seems as though everyone is getting along well with the pegasi.”

“At least two out of the three of them,” observed Cherry Blossom.

“Well…,” replied Cinder Star, “I guess this only proves that you can’t be everyone’s cup of tea.” All three sisters, and even Serenity had to chuckle at this. Ready Blaze openly laughed, but then he remembered where he was, and quickly recovered, disguising his laugh with a few coughs.

Ready Blaze hopped forward toward Serenity and asked her, “Are you ready to go have some fun, Shoes?!” He was wearing his own small sized armor which resembled the armor worn by his father and the other knights.

Serenity looked up at Cinder Star and asked, “May we go and have some fun around the ball, Mother?”

Cinder Star gave Rose Petal a small grin, and then answered, “Hmm… I suppose so. So long as you remember that this is a formal, grown-up ball.”

“And we do expect you to behave,” finished Rose Petal. “Especially you, Ready Blaze,” she added sternly to her son.

Ready Blaze shrank back a little at this, but replied, “Yes, Mother. We will.”

“Good,” said Rose Petal, more gently with a smile of approval.

“Also, Serenity,” added Cinder Star, “Have at least two carrots before any cake. Remember, you are still young and must keep your strength up with healthy food.”

“Yes, Mother,” agreed Serenity. “I will. I promise.”

“Very good,” said Cinder Star as she nuzzled her daughter’s forehead. “Have fun then!”

“Come on, Shoes!” said Ready Blaze as he bounded forward. “Let’s go look around!”

“Right behind you, Red,” laughed Serenity as they trotted away together.

“Ah, those two,” sighed Cinder Star as she followed her sisters to have some fruit punch. “You can’t help but love them,” she said with a smile.

“Perhaps there will soon be three of them,” said Cherry Blossom.

Cinder Star and Rose Petal’s eyes both lit up at once. “Wait, really?!” asked Cinder Star.

“Do you mean...?” asked Rose Petal eagerly.

“Now, now, Sisters,” laughed Cherry Blossom. “Calm down. Nothing is official yet. I will be paying a visit to Magus the wizard next week, but, perhaps, sometime soon, I might just have a foal of my own. Maybe.”

“Oh, I do hope so, Sister!” said Cinder Star.

“Me too,” said Cherry Blossom. “But let’s wait until we know for sure. Right now, we have a ball to enjoy.”

Cinder Star and Rose Petal nodded their heads in agreement. “Indeed,” said Cinder Star. “Indeed.”

It was a pleasant evening, and everyone was enjoying the ball very much. Unicorns, pegasi, and pony alike laughed and chatted with one another as the hours ticked by. When the orchestra struck up a waltz, stallions and mares partnered up to dance. Cinder Star always loved dancing with Majestic. It felt special to her, as it always reminded her of the wonderful ball where she and Majestic first met. Around them she could see Rose Petal happily dancing with Light Shield, and Cherry Blossom dancing slowly with Gallant. She even saw Serenity and Ready Blaze dancing off to the side, or at least, imitating the dancers next to them. Even King Imperial Might and Queen Aurora, who usually sat together at the front of the grand hall, entered the dance for one waltz.

Cinder Star was pleased to see that Noble and Abyss were enjoying the dance as well. They soon became the center of attention, as they would gently flap their wings to fly past each other as they danced. It was inspiring to see the two pegasi putting a new pegasus spin on the unicorn waltz, and all the while they were smiling at each other. The evening was practically perfect.

There was, of course, one pegasus stallion keeping his distance, who was not enjoying the ball. Prince Regal scowled as he watched Noble and Abyss dance with the unicorns. In truth, he was very jealous of his younger brother. In the past, Noble never had much interest in royal pegasus affairs. He had shied away from anything considered praise worthy in Pegasopolis, but Regal could see that his brother was changing. Ever since Noble had married Abyss he had become not just happier, but assertive and more confident. His marriage had even put him in the limelight for once. This, in turn, made Noble a threat to Regal. While it was true that Regal was the Heir Apparent of the Empire, if Noble gathered enough attention to himself and fought Regal, he could quite possibly take the throne of Pegasopolis for himself.

Regal could not let that happen. He had figured that since Abyss was the reason for Noble’s change, then she had to go. He had mocked her at every chance he got, but he needed to embarrass her publicly. A mishap during a royal state ball would be just thing. Besides that, he couldn’t stand to see his brother and his brother’s wife looking so happy and loving each other.

As Regal watched Noble and Abyss dancing together amidst the unicorns, he began to wonder how exactly he could seriously embarrass Abyss. It would have to be a sneaky trick so that no one suspected him, at least, not until it was too late to make any difference. Regal continued to dwell on this as all the festivities happened around him.

During the dance, the royal baker emerged from the castle’s kitchen with his assistants to deliver the cake to the banquet table. As Regal watched them, a devious idea came to his mind. The baker was proudly holding his wooden, tapered rolling pin as he directed his assistants to carefully move the cake from the cart it was on, to its proper place on the table. The thin rolling pin was just what Regal needed for his plan. He quietly followed the baker, and pretended to be interested in the many foods before him while he waited for his chance. As soon as the baker put down his tapered rolling pin on the cart and turned away to make his final adjustments for the cake, Regal quickly swiped it away and hid it beneath his wing. The baker did not notice this as he returned to the kitchen, nor did anyone else. Regal now only had to wait for the right moment.

Abyss and Noble were having a wonderful time at the ball. They felt honored by how much effort the unicorns had clearly put in to make them feel welcome, and they enjoyed dancing with their new found friends close by. Abyss nearly felt as though she was walking on clouds as she and Noble gently flapped their wings and passed each other as they danced. The pegasus princess exchanged a quick joyful smile with Cinder Star as she landed gingerly and then spun around to return to Noble again. They smiled as they danced around each other in a slow circle, and Noble closed the distance between them with a little kiss to Abyss’ cheek. They separated, and flew past each other again, but when Abyss landed, she suddenly trod upon a wooden, tapered rolling pin which had not been there before.

Abyss yelped as her fore hooves tripped on the rolling pin and slid out from under her. In her surprise, Abyss had difficulty regaining her balance and she began to fall! “OH!” she cried out, causing the dance to immediately stop.

Cinder Star was close by Abyss and gasped, but she instinctively rushed to help her, and quickly braced herself, shoulder to shoulder, between Abyss and the ballroom floor. She put her left fore hoof on Abyss’s upper right fore leg to help steady her for just a moment before Abyss managed to regain her balance and righted herself, standing on all four of her hooves again.

Noble hurried to Abyss’s side at once. “Are you alright, Dear?!” he asked urgently. Both he and Cinder Star held a hoof on Abyss’ shoulders just in case she was still unsteady.

“Yes,” Abyss replied. “I think so.” She turned to Cinder Star. “Thank you, Cinder Star,” she said gratefully. “I would have hit the floor hard if it hadn’t been for you…” Abyss suddenly stopped speaking. Her eyes popped opened wide when she, for the first time, noticed the glass slipper on Cinder Star’s hoof which was resting on her shoulder.

Abyss instantly jumped backward away from Cinder Star in a most alarming way. “Is that… Is that glass?!” she gasped.

Cinder Star was confused, but she could see that something was very wrong with Abyss. “Um… yes,” she answered. “W-why?” she asked.

Abyss didn’t answer. She looked down at her right fore leg, and to her horror she saw a glowing blue spot, just above her knee. It was exactly where Cinder Star’s hoof had touched her fur! “No!” cried Abyss as the blue spot began to rapidly expand up her leg and the spread all over her body! “OH NO! NOOO!!”

There was a flash of blue light, and then a wave of what appeared to be blue fire swept over Abyss’ body, from her fore hooves to her tail, and burned away her dress. The light was so bright that everyone had to look away. When they looked again at Abyss, they no longer saw a white pegasus mare. Instead, they beheld a trembling, turquoise kelpie.

Nearly everyone in the room gasped and breathed the word, “Kelpie!” while others echoed, “Monster!” There was no doubt about it. The sea-like horse standing in front of them was indeed a real life kelpie. The knights and the castle guards immediately took defensive positions around her. Like everyone else, Serenity could not help but stare. She could not believe her eyes. The kelpie mare looked just like how her father had described, and as she had read in the library. The kelpie mare was without a doubt the most unusual horse Serenity had ever seen, and she did indeed look as though she were one with the ocean!

The kelpie mare’s coat was turquoise, but her neck and barrel seemed to have a slight, gentle glow. Her long mane was sky blue at top of her head, but gradually turned white by the end of her neck. In a similar way, her tail was the opposite, it was white at first, and then turned sky blue at the end, and it was long enough to drag on the floor behind her. She wore long strands of seaweed and kelp in both her mane and tail which coiled down her legs, and moss had collected on her back and hindquarters. A single line of round gills ran down both sides of her neck and down her back, some of which were covered by moss. She had even stuck several water lilies to her fur with barnacle glue. The fur on the kelpie’s fore legs ended with two white socks which matched the white blaze upon her muzzle, whereas her nose and her lower hind legs were dark blue. Little green freckles dotted her face and there were a few more on her neck, barrel, and hind legs. There were four little spikes on top of the keplie’s back, and two fangs that could be seen sticking out from her mouth, but most sticking of all was the dorsal ray upon her head which ended with a little glowing light known as an esca.

The kelpie mare standing before them was definitely the most amazing creature Serenity had ever seen. The same was true for Cinder Star, but what Cinder Star had noticed, unlike everyone else, was the great amount of fear in the kelpie’s eyes. The kelpie’s gaping mouth, still open in shock, revealed that her tongue was now sea blue with a tiny bit of white at the tip. She truly looked to be far more afraid of all of them than they were of her, but there was something else. Cinder Star couldn’t help but think that there was something familiar about the kelpie’s sea blue eyes, something that had not changed at all.

Noble was the first to break the uneasy silence. He strode forward and sternly said, “Who are you, and what have you done with Abyss!?”

The kelpie’s fearful eyes began to fill with tears. “N-Noble…,” she replied. “It’s me, Abyss!”

The crowd gasped again, but Noble was not convinced. His eyes narrowed. “How dare you impersonate Abyss!” he snapped. “What have you done with my wife!? Where is she!?” he demanded.

“Please, Noble!” cried Abyss as tears began to fall down her cheeks. “It is me! Your wife! I AM ABYSS! It’s always been me!”

One of Noble’s eyes twitched as he stared at the kelpie mare. He shook his head. “No,” he retorted. “That’s impossible!”

“But it’s true!” pleaded Abyss. “I… I am a kelpie. I was disguised as a pegasus, but it really is me! I love broccoli. I like long walks on the beach. I hate hoof polish. I’m afraid of glass because…” She paused for a moment, before she sighed, and slowly finished. “Because it would reveal who I truly am, but… but, it’s still ME, Noble! I love you!”

Noble’s face slowly changed from one of anger, to confusion, and then to utter disbelief as he realized the kelpie was telling the truth. The only way she could know all of that about Abyss was if she were, in fact, Abyss! The kelpie standing before him was indeed Abyss, his wife!

This was all just too much all at once. Noble just could not believe it, so when Abyss took one step toward him, he took one step back.

“N-Noble?” Abyss asked nervously.

For Noble, the worst part of this revelation was that if everything he had just learned was true, then that meant Abyss had been lying to him ever since they had first met, and that hurt him very deeply. “How many?” asked Noble quietly. “How many lies have you told me? Was anything you ever said true?!”

“I’m sorry, Noble!” confessed Abyss frantically. “I’m so sorry! I love you, Noble! That has always been true!”

Noble lowered his head and closed his eyes. He took a deep breath and said, “I…I can’t deal with this now. This… this is just too much.” With that, he turned around and walked away.

“NO, Noble! Please!” cried Abyss desperately as tears flowed down her cheeks, “Don’t go!” But Noble kept walking until he had left the ballroom and trotted out into the castle gardens.

Abyss took another step forward, as if to go after him, but she suddenly stopped short and looked down at herself. Her breathing became much heavier. “Oh no!” she gasped before she suddenly fell to her knees and then upon the floor. Her hooves began to twitch. She looked up at the crowd around her in her helpless state and cried out, “I’m drying out! I’m drying out!” Her gaze fell on Cinder Star. “I need water! Please…,” Abyss begged, “Don’t let me die!”

Regal grinned evilly. This had turned out far better than he had planned. He stepped forward and loudly declared, “Ah Ha! So you really are a kelpie! I knew there was something fishy about you, Princess. Wait, correction, not princess! The law of Pegasopolis clearly states that only pegasi can be royalty in Pegasopolis. Well, the game is up! Guards, seize the kelpie!”

The four pegasi guards began to advance, but Cinder Star suddenly rushed forward and placed herself between Abyss and the pegasi. “No!” she yelled, ready to defend Abyss. “This is wrong!”

“Star!” exclaimed Majestic. “What are you doing?! Get away from the kelpie!”

“This is not just a kelpie,” replied Cinder Star firmly. “This is Abyss, our friend, and she’s hurt! She needs help, and I will help her even if no one else will. We can’t just leave her like this!”

“She’s a kelpie!” argued Regal. “All kelpies are dangerous monsters! Everyone knows that! Move aside you silly earth pony.”

Majestic instantly turned and glared at Regal. “Prince Regal,” he said in a harsh tone, “I think I have been pretty patient with you, but don’t you dare call my wife ‘silly’ again!”

Regal rolled his eyes, but took a step back. “Never the less,” he replied, “The kelpie is dangerous, and must be disposed of at once!”

“NO!” shouted Cinder Star. “I won’t let you hurt her!” She paused, and then more calmly said, “And, by Unicornia’s law, kelpie or not, Abyss is a guest of Unicornia, and her well being is our responsibility. Her fate is in our hooves, not yours.”

“She is correct,” verified King Imperial Might, “Well said, my dear. But, how can we be sure that the kelpie… Abyss,” he corrected himself, “Is not a danger to us?” he asked, a bit unsure himself of this situation.

“Honestly,” replied Cinder Star, “We don’t. So, I will ask her.” She turned around and looked down at the quivering kelpie mare at her hooves. Cinder Star then knelt down on the floor so she could be eye level with Abyss and said gently, “Abyss, you are my friend, but I must know, do you mean to harm me or anyone else?”

“No,” Abyss wheezed weakly. “I promise.”

Cinder Star gave her a kind smile and said, “I believe you, Abyss.” She then stood up, removed her glass slipper from her right fore hoof, and offered her hoof to the kelpie. “Will you let me help you?” she asked her.

Abyss looked up at Cinder Star, and then slowly reached out her hoof and touched Cinder Star’s. “Yes,” she answered. “I trust you. Please, I need water!”

“Very well,” replied Cinder Star as she moved around to stand beside her. “I can lead you to water. Can you stand?” she asked.

“I’ll try,” said Abyss. She groaned as she pushed herself up, and then tried to stand. She gave the effort all her strength, but only made it halfway up before she fell back down on her barrel, breathing heavily. “I… I can’t,” she wheezed.

Cinder Star looked to her husband. “Please, Jes!” she called to him. “Help her! We have to take her to the castle’s bath quickly!”

Majestic briefly hesitated. He was still a bit nervous about getting close to a real kelpie, but as soon as he saw Cinder Star’s pleading eyes, he hurried forward to help. “I will carry you,” he assured Abyss. “I only need you to push yourself up once again.”

Abyss did as Majestic asked. With a little help from his magic, Abyss managed to push herself up just enough so Majestic could slip his head under her barrel and then lift her up on his back. The poor kelpie lay limp across Majestic’s back as he slowly and carefully carried her out of the ballroom with Cinder Star walking alongside him. Serenity quickly hurried after them, carrying her mother’s glass slipper in her magic. The knights and guards stepped back to let them pass through. Everyone present watched them leave in silence, still shocked by what they had just seen, while Regal scowled as he watched them go. The unicorns and the pony princess had won tonight, but he wasn’t finished yet.

. . .

The castle’s royal bath was at the far end of the castle. It was a special room that served the purpose of bathing the royal family and the residents of the castle. The bath itself was a square, in-ground, brick pool with stones around the edge, and was just large enough for three horses to enjoy comfortably. Anyone could enter the bath by simply walking down the stone stairs into the fresh, cool water which was hoof pumped in by a natural, underwater spring. Now the bath served as the living space for Abyss the kelpie mare. Majestic had gently carried Abyss into the water, where he released her, and then went to find Prince Noble, hoping he could talk to him and calm him down.

Cinder Star and Serenity remained with Abyss to comfort her. As soon as Abyss was in the water, some of her strength returned. Her breathing returned to normal, and she swam around the bath twice before laying her head on the side of the bath where she remained, silent and still. Cinder Star and Serenity sat down, close by the bath’s edge. They sat in silence for some time, with the only sound being Abyss’ sad sighs. Finally, Cinder Star broke the silence. “Are you feeling better?” she asked quietly.

Abyss lifted her head and looked up at Cinder Star. “Yes,” she sighed. “At least for now.”

“For now?” asked Serenity.

“My strength has only temporarily returned in fresh water,” Abyss explained, “But it won’t last. As a kelpie, I must return to the ocean. Only then will I be fully restored.”

“I see,” said Cinder Star. “How long do you have, with only fresh water?”

“Since I have been away from the ocean for so long,” replied Abyss, “About five days, if I stay here. Three, if I leave and try to reach the ocean before I completely dry out, but I know I will never make it my condition.”

“Why don’t you just change back into a pegasus again and fly there?” asked Serenity.

Abyss looked down and sighed. “I can’t,” she said simply. “In my weak state, I no longer have the power to change my appearance, and even if I could, I’m such a weak flier because I’m not a real pegasus. I wouldn’t make it.”

“Oh no,” said Cinder Star. “I… I’m guessing there is more to the story about how you and Noble met than what we have already heard?” she asked.

Abyss remained silent with her head down in shame, but Cinder Star could see tears in he eyes. “I understand if you don’t want to talk about it,” said Cinder Star, though the pieces of Abyss’ predicament were starting to fall into place for her.

“No…,” answered Abyss as she lifted her head again. “My secret is out, and you should hear the whole story. You deserve to know the truth.” She took a deep breath, and began. “I was born and raised in the ocean. That is where my family is. Many kelpies like to move around from sea to sea, while others, such as our Queen, remain in the same place. My family would often move back and fourth between the Eastern and Southern Seas throughout the year.”

“How are you able to move around the ocean?” asked Serenity curiously.

“Like all kelpies,” replied Abyss, “When I’m in salt water, the long strands of my mane and tail fuse together and practically become two fins. These allow me to swim quickly as I kick my legs, and also steady myself in the water when I’m still.”

“Then, how did you come to meet Prince Noble?” asked Cinder Star.

Abyss sighed, and then continued. “Noble spoke the truth when he told you that we first met just over a year and a half ago. He simply never knew where I had come from. My family was in the Eastern Sea when Noble and Regal were on their retreat to the seaside. I had noticed Noble several days before we actually met. From the first moment I saw him, I was fascinated by him. I kept my distance in the ocean, but I watched him closely, and I saw that he was not only handsome, but kind hearted, and peaceful. He would walk across the beach and then sit quietly by the shore to watch the sunrise every morning, and I soon realized in my heart that I loved him. Then one day, I finally found the courage to meet him myself. It wasn’t the easiest choice, because I knew it was likely I would never see my family again, but I felt I had to follow my heart, and took a chance. I changed myself into a pegasus further down the beach, and then walked right up to Noble.”

“Hmm…,” pondered Cinder Star. “This certainly does fill in the blanks of the original story.”

“Wait,” said Serenity. “How did you change yourself, and why? Couldn’t you have simply met Prince Noble as you were?” she asked.

“No,” replied Abyss. “I didn’t think he would like to see me in this form.” She motioned with her head toward her body to illustrate her point. “Also, the kelpies are just as familiar with the stories that have been spread about us as any other pony, so I knew it would not be wise to show myself to Noble in my true form. I didn’t want to scare him, after all, so I walked up onto the beach a short distance away, where he couldn’t see me, and there I changed my form. A kelpie changes their appearance, by walking out of the ocean, and then rolling in the sand. I must think about how I want to look while I am rolling, before I stand up and shake the sand off my coat. I thought of myself as a white pegasus with a turquoise mane and tail, and when I shook the sand off of me, it was so. The only thing we can’t change is our eye color, and our disguise form is permanent until we return to the ocean, so long as we drink lots of water and never touch glass.” Abyss sadly looked straight at Cinder Star.

Cinder Star’s eyes went wide. She looked down at her glass slippers and then back at Abyss. “Oh no!” she gasped. “Abyss, I’m so sorry! I didn’t know!”

“No, it’s fine,” Abyss sighed. “It wasn’t your fault, Cinder Star. It’s mine, and it doesn’t matter now anyway. I knew the risks, and it was tricky never touching glass, but I was always so observant… until now, so I brought this on myself. Those are some beautiful shoes by the way.” She paused as she thought for a moment, before she continued, “I… I told one too many lies. I never meant to become a liar, I really didn’t! I just wanted to be with Noble. I…I remember our first kiss on the beach so fondly,” she said with a small smile, before it faded and her eyes began to fill with tears again. “Oh, Cinder Star!” cried Abyss. “I’ve lost him! I’ve lost my Noble forever!” She lay her head down on the stones in front of her and wept bitterly.

Cinder Star quickly removed her glass slippers, crouched down on the stone floor, and hugged Abyss tightly to comfort her. “No, don’t cry Abyss,” she said soothingly. “It will all come out right. I’m sure Noble will come around. Just give him some time and you will see.”

“I-I don’t know!” sobbed Abyss. “I just don’t know, and… and I’m so sorry about your dress. It burned up when I changed. I can’t return it to you now.”

Cinder Star pulled back from the hug and looked seriously at Abyss. “Never mind that, Abyss,” said Cinder Star. “There are hundreds of dresses, but there is only ONE you! Your life is far more important to me, and to everyone who cares about you.”

Abyss still couldn’t help but look down in shame. “B-but… but, Noble…?” she sniffled.

“Tell me something Abyss,” said Cinder Star softly as she gently lifted the kelpie’s chin with her right fore hoof so she could look into her eyes. “Do you still love him?” she asked simply.

“Y-yes!” Abyss answered with a sob. “Yes, I do.”

Cinder Star smiled. “Then there is still hope,” she replied. “Hold tightly to it, and I will help you. I promise. We will find a way to save you.”

Th-thank you, Cinder Star,” said Abyss. “That really means a lot to me right now. I… I will try to hold on.”

Serenity quietly smiled as she looked on. Her mother really was the best at lifting others up, as she already knew very well.

. . .

Meanwhile, Majestic was having his own conversation with Prince Noble. He had found the Pegasus Prince outside in the castle gardens alone. They stood in silence for several minutes a short distance from each other as they looked up at the stars. At last, Majestic spoke. “Well, tonight certainly did not go as planned.”

“Heh,” scoffed Noble. “You can say that again.”

“Would you care to share your thoughts, Prince Noble?” asked Majestic.

Noble took two deep breaths, and then slowly replied, “I just don’t know what to think anymore. I was the happiest stallion in Sewell only an hour ago. Now I suddenly find out that my wife isn’t who I thought she was! How could she lie to me like that, and for so long?! It feels as if the whole world has turned upside down!” He shook his head to clear it, and sighed. “How… how am I supposed to deal with this?” he asked Majestic. “I don’t know. I just don’t know.”

“I can not pretend to know what you are going through right now,” said Majestic. “But… maybe its not as bad as it looks?” he suggested hesitantly.

“What do you mean?” asked Noble.

Majestic paused to choose his next words carefully, and then answered, “I saw the look on Abyss’ face after you left. There was nothing fake about it. She’s heart broken. I think she really meant it when she said she loved you.”

“If she loved me, why didn’t she tell about her true identity?!” asked Noble hastily. “Why did she keep lying to me?! There should be no secrets between a couple!”

“You’re absolutely right,” replied Majestic. “But maybe she thought she was doing the right thing, or perhaps she meant to tell you the truth, but didn’t know how to tell you. You saw the terror in her eyes before you left. I sense that Abyss has always been afraid of how you would react if she told you her secret.” He paused, before he quietly added, “Your actions tonight may have justified her fears.”

Noble turned and looked at Majestic. His frustration began to relax. Majestic’s words did make sense. His face softened, but he still frowned. “She still should have told me,” he said simply.

“I can’t argue with that,” said Majestic. “But, let me tell you something. When Star and I first met, I honestly did not know she was an earth pony. When I first saw her, she had the appearance of an alicorn. She had a horn and a pair of wings. I figured out later, on my own, that she was in fact an earth pony. No other explanation made sense. She had not lied to me, because I failed to ask her about it, but, do you know what? I was determined to find her again anyway because I loved her. I decided that it didn’t matter to me if she were an earth pony, a unicorn, or any other kind of pony. We loved each other, and that was all that mattered.”

Noble was silent for a moment before he admitted, “I see your point, Prince Majestic. I just don’t know what my next move should be. This is all so confusing.”

“Indeed,” said Majestic. “I can’t tell you what to do, Noble. Only you can decide that, but if, in your heart, you still love her, then I have no doubt that you two will find a way.” He smiled reassuringly.

“Perhaps,” replied Noble, though he was still unsure as he turned to leave. He had a lot to think about. “Thank you, friend. I need some time to think about it. Good night,” he said with a short bow.

“Good night, friend,” said Majestic as he returned the gesture, and watched Noble return to the castle. His face fell, however, and as he returned himself. He knew the next few days were going to be rough for everyone.

. . .

The next morning, everyone met in the throne room for the Royal Court as usual, but the foremost issue was to ultimately decide the fate of Abyss the kelpie. The unicorns were still somewhat bewildered over the reveal of a kelpie amongst them, even after a night to sleep on it. They quietly chatted to each other about it, but they all fell silent when Princess Cinder Star walked into the room with Abyss the kelpie at her side.

Cinder Star had spent all night with Abyss after she had asked Serenity to take away her ball gown when Serenity retired to her bed. Now Cinder Star had donned her royal regalia, and was ready to defend Abyss if necessary. Abyss nervously held her head a bit low, but when she saw Cinder Star turn her head and give her a smile, Abyss couldn’t help but smile back. She trusted her friend.

King Imperial Might and Queen Aurora watched Cinder Star and Abyss as they walked down the aisle and then came to a stop before their thrones. Prince Majestic joined them, standing beside his wife. Prince Noble remained standing off to the side in the crowd next to Prince Regal. They were both watching intently.

“Princess Abyss,” began Imperial Might. “As a kelpie, you have caused quite a stir in our court, both as a charming dignitary, and then as your true self. It is, however, your true self, as a kelpie, that gives us reason for concern.”

“I can speak for her character,” said Cinder Star bravely, “And I can assure you that Princess Abyss is a friend to us, be she a pegasus or a kelpie. She poses no threat at all. Abyss is still the good, caring person we have all come to know.”

“I understand perfectly,” replied Imperial. “However, the question of what is to be done with her still remains unanswered.” He then turned to the kelpie mare and asked her, “Do you have anything to say for yourself, Princess Abyss?”

Abyss was looking down at the floor in shame, aware that everyone was staring at her, but she slowly looked up at the king when he addressed her. “I’m sorry,” she said simply.

“I beg your pardon?” asked Imperial suddenly confused.

“I’m sorry that I deceived you, and, well, everyone. I never really meant to, but… I didn’t know what else to do. I only did it because…,” she briefly glanced over at Noble, before finishing, “Because I wanted to chase a dream and live it.” She sighed. “If… if you decide to let me dry up, I will accept it quietly.”

“NO!” exclaimed Cinder Star. “I won’t let that happen!”

“We certainly will not,” agreed Aurora. “We wouldn’t dream of it, my dear.”

“R-Really?” asked Abyss as Cinder Star breathed a sigh of relief.

“Indeed,” confirmed Imperial. “Princess Star was correct when she pointed out that Unicornia’s law requires us to care for the well being of visitors to our land, and so we are obliged to do so. Now I ask you, Princess Abyss, in your extraordinary situation of health and safety, how can we help you?” he asked.

“First,” replied Abyss, “You need not call me ‘Princess.’ Prince Regal is right in that I am not a princess by the law of Pegasopolis. More importantly, it is terribly urgent that I return to the ocean in three days. I lack the strength to walk there myself, so my plea to you is that you please help me get there, and I need water for the journey.”

Imperial and Aurora looked at each other and nodded, before turning back to Abyss. “It shall be done,” declared Imperial. “We shall see to it that you are given a cart with a water barrel and an escort to the ocean. It takes about three days to get to the ocean on our western coast so, with any luck, you should make it there in plenty of time.”

“I wish to escort Abyss to the ocean,” said Cinder Star, “With permission of course.” Before the King or Queen could say anything, she explained, “I promised her that I would help her to safety, and I will keep that promise.”

“I will go as well,” said Majestic, “To ensure their safe passage to the ocean.”

“Permission granted,” agreed Imperial. “Assemble a team to accompany you to the western coast, and to avoid any trouble on the way.”

“You must also take Magus the wizard with you,” added Aurora, “Because you won’t be able to carry enough water with you for the entire journey. He will be able to find more water for you and Princess Abyss as you go.”

“I would like to volunteer to travel with them,” said Noble as he slowly walked forward and stood beside Majestic. Abyss looked at Noble with wondering eyes, but he kept his gaze on Imperial and Aurora. “I… I feel responsible for all that has happened here, and the confusion.”

“I shall volunteer as well,” said Regal as he trotted forward.

Noble and Cinder Star both looked at Regal suspiciously, but Noble spoke first. “And why would you want to join an uncomfortable journey to the ocean on hoof?” he asked.

“Because, little Brother,” replied Regal, “I am, after all, in charge of our little excursion to this land, and that means I am still responsible for anything that may happen to us while we are in a distant country.”

Noble simply rolled his eyes at that, but said nothing.

Imperial paused as he considered their requests, and then nodded. “Very well,” he finally decided. “You may both join them, but remember…,” he added sternly. “A life among you is at stake.” He then addressed them all. “You must leave at once and hurry! You have not a moment to lose!”

The rescue team was ready to leave in an hour. Cinder Star secured the open, blue wagon, gathered some food and blankets, all with Abyss at her side. Like her husband, Cinder Star still wore her royal regalia, but had left her glass slippers behind since she wouldn’t need them on this trip. Majestic assigned two unicorn guards to pull the open wagon, and asked for Sir Light Shield and Sir Gallant to accompany them for safety. Both knights were willing to help. He also informed Magus that they needed his services for the journey, and the wizard wasted no time in joining them, bringing with him, his own saddle bag with a map and anything else he might need. Lastly, they all helped to load a wooden barrel on to the wagon and filled it with water. Prince Noble helped with this task as well. He worked quietly, but he did sneak a few glances toward Abyss, when he thought she wasn’t looking.

Everything was ready, but had to wait for Prince Regal to join them, much to everyone’s annoyance. Every moment was precious if they were going to save Abyss’ life, and this delay wasn’t helping. They almost left without him, but Regal arrived at the last minute with one of his own pegasus guards as protection for himself. The guard also carried a rather large bag of necessities for Regal. Noble rolled his eyes at seeing this.

At last, they set off. Majestic, Noble, and the knights all trotted on one side of the wagon or the other as the two guards pulled it forward. Magus trotted up in front searching for water sources with his magic. At first Abyss insisted on walking along with everyone else, but, try as she might, after an hour Abyss found she simply did not have the strength to make the journey on hoof. The wagon was stopped and Cinder Star helped her aboard. Cinder Star rode in the wagon as well so that she could remain close by Abyss and take care of her. All the while, Regal and his guard kept to themselves and would often fly around the rescue party whenever they grew tired of walking.

Soon they had left the castle and unicorn town behind, and headed west toward the ocean, following the road which led to it, trotting and then galloping whenever they could. Cinder Star would pour water on Abyss’ mane and body with a wooden cup whenever she began to look dry, especially as the sun grew hotter as it rose higher in the sky. This kept Abyss wet, but it was painfully clear the water in the barrel would only last for one day. They could only hope that Magus would find more water before they ran out. Despite the apparent risk, Cinder Star was glad to see that Abyss tried to remain positive. Though her strength was still weak, Abyss kept cheery by smiling and chatting with Cinder Star as they went.

After some time, Abyss began to feel tired, so Cinder Star suggested that she lie down in the wagon and try to get some rest. Abyss nodded, but when she placed her head down on a little bundle covered by a blanket, the bundle moved and said a muffled, “Oof.” Abyss snapped back up in surprise as she looked down at the bundle.

“What’s the matter?” asked Cinder Star.

Abyss looked at her and smiled. “I believe we have a little stowaway!” she replied. Abyss caught a corner of the blanket in her fore hoof and pulled it off, revealing the little foal underneath! “Well, hello, Princess Serenity!”

Serenity looked up at her and smiled with embarrassment. She had been caught. “Um… heh heh. Hello,” she answered with a nervous laugh.

“Serenity!” exclaimed Cinder Star in surprise. “What are you doing here?!”

“I… I wanted to help, Mommy,” explained Serenity. “There’s so much going on, and I wanted to be a part of it. Princess Abyss is my friend too.” She looked to the kelpie mare for a little support.

“Yes,” confirmed Abyss. “But leave me out of this one,” she said with a little grin.

Serenity gulped, and nervously rubbed one of her forelegs over the other. “I-I even left my silver slippers behind because I knew how very important all of this was,” she offered, thinking it might help.

Cinder Star’s expression softened. “Sweetie,” she sighed. “It’s wonderful that you want to help, but sneaking out to come with us was not the way to do it. You should have asked us first.”

“I didn’t think you would let me come if I did ask,” replied Serenity doubtfully.

Cinder Star pondered this for a moment, and then answered, “Fair enough. We probably wouldn’t have, but the point remains.”

“What’s going on?” asked Majestic as he looked over the side of the wagon to see what all the fuss was about. His eyes widened when he saw Serenity.

“It seems our daughter decided to stow away with us,” said Cinder Star.

“Serenity!” Majestic scolded the little filly. “That was very naughty of you.”

“I know, Daddy,” replied Serenity. “I’m sorry, but like I said, I only wanted to help. I’ve also never seen the ocean before, and… and this is a good opportunity for me to learn about kelpies,” she quickly added. “So I’m really not missing any of my study time, since I’m still learning, and this would provide a good field trip!” She gave her parents a beaming smile.

Cinder Star and Majestic looked at each other. Serenity did make several good points. “Well,” chuckled Cinder Star, “I do suppose it would do you good to see the ocean for yourself.”

“Yes, that,” agreed Majestic, “And it’s too late to turn back around now anyway. So you will be coming with us.”

Serenity was delighted. “Yay!” she exclaimed.

“But you will still be grounded for a week after this trip,” added Majestic.

“Aww… Daddy!” whined Serenity, but she knew that was the end of the matter.

The rescue team continued to press on for the rest of the day. Aside from Serenity’s unexpected appearance, there were no more surprises as the unicorns hurried down the road. Despite this, Regal complained several times about their slow pace as he flew alongside, but no one paid him any mind.

Abyss passed this time by sharing stories about her life as a kelpie under the ocean with Serenity and Cinder Star. She told them of a prospering but humble undersea herd led by the good and wise Queen Mariana who ruled all the kelpies beneath the waves. Abyss told her friends of her kelpie family, of many colorful fish, races with dolphins, and even how to catch a ride on a whale. There was plenty for her to talk about. Cinder Star and Serenity were captivated by her stories, and asked Abyss many questions, which she gladly answered. They laughed a lot, and, for a time, they forgot about Abyss’ perilous situation.

Of course, everyone else around them could hear Abyss’ stories too, but none listened as intently as Noble. He was very interested in everything Abyss had to say, but he was still looking for something specific. It wasn’t much he was looking for, and he couldn’t quiet describe it, but he knew that he would know exactly what it was the moment he heard it or saw it so he continued to listen to Abyss and watch her quietly from a distance.

The sun was setting in the west when the team came upon a little stream. “We should stop here for the night,” advised Magus. “We need to rest, and we should take this time to refill the water barrel for tomorrow.”

Everyone agreed, so they all crossed over the stream and came to a halt on the far side. The horses rolled out their blankets, and then everyone helped to refill the water barrel, that is, everyone except Regal and his guard who refused to take part in any sort of work. The rest of the team, including Noble who was not above helping out, did this by forming a line and passing two buckets between them one at a time. Abyss helped too, in spite of her weakening state. She first dipped herself completely in the stream, since fresh water gave her some strength at least, and then she stood in it while she filled up the buckets with water as they were passed down to her, before passing them back up.

While they worked, a though came to Light Shield. “I was wondering…,” he said, “Since we are next to a stream, shouldn’t we follow this steam to the ocean and stay within sight of water?” he asked.

“That would make sense,” answered Magus, “But the problem is that following the stream would take too long. He pulled a map out of his saddle bag with his magic and showed it to Light Shield and the rest. “We only have two more days,” he explained, “And this stream does not lead straight to the ocean. Instead, it takes its time getting there with its many turns through the country.”

“He is right,” confirmed Majestic. “And that’s why we should continue to head straight west toward the ocean. It really is our best option when time is against us.”

“Indeed,” Regal suddenly put in. “We must continue straight on. It is the only way to safety.” Everyone turned to give Regal an irritated look, since he wasn’t helping, before returning to their task without a single word to him.

It took a while to fill up the barrel completely, but the team kept at it until the job was done. When they had finished, they returned to their camp for a well earned rest. Serenity helped Light Shield gather some sticks from nearby trees for a campfire which Gallant lit. Everyone then settled down comfortably around the fire where they shared some of the apples and bread they had brought. All except Abyss, who remained in the stream for it was there she would stay for the night. She simply folded her legs beneath her and lay down in the water.

Kind Cinder Star didn’t want Abyss to feel alone, so she moved her blanket next to the stream to keep her company, and brought her an apple. They were joined by Serenity a moment later. After several minutes, Serenity spoke up. “Um… Mrs. Abyss?” she asked the kelpie. May I ask you a question?”

“You just did,” Abyss replied with a clever grin. “But go on. You can ask me anything.”

Serenity hesitated before she continued. This was something she had to know. “Well…,” she said cautiously, “I’m not sure if you are aware of this, but, in our legends about kelpies, there is a story about a kelpie mare who, it seems, pulled a land horse down into the ocean. Is there any truth to that story?” she asked.

Abyss’ face fell. She looked down at her fore hooves in the water, shame written across her face. “Ah,” she said quietly. “I was wondering when that would be brought up, eventually.” She sighed, and then looked up and answered, “Yes, I do know of this, and… it is true. The kelpie mare, who shall remain nameless, dragged the stallion she had loved down into the ocean and drowned him. She then felt so guilty about it that she threw herself upon a beach and let herself dry out. It truly is a sad story, but it didn’t end there. What happened that day destroyed the reputation of all kelpies, and this is the reason why kelpies hide themselves away in the ocean, or in disguise if they dare to walk on the land.”

“Ohhh…,” said Serenity. She shuddered as a small bit of fear ran through her. “I’m sorry I asked.”

“No need to apologize, Serenity,” Abyss reassured her. “Don’t worry. It’s actually good that you did ask about it.” She looked at the little filly and that at Cinder Star. “You now know both sides of the kelpies, both the pleasant, and the unpleasant.”

“That is fair, to say the least,” said Cinder Star. “We have learned for ourselves, many times, that we are all capable of doing good or ill. However, it is our choice how we decide to live our lives. That is what defines each and every one of us.”

“Indeed,” agreed Abyss. “Although, I am sorry you are all having to go though so much trouble just for me,” she admitted to Cinder Star.

“It’s no trouble at all, Abyss,” said Cinder Star. “Anything for a friend.”

Hearing this made Serenity feel better. “I understand,” she replied confidently with a smile. “And I can tell that you are a very good kelpie, Mrs. Abyss, and a good friend. I have known for a while now.

“Thank you, Serenity,” answered Abyss. “I appreciate that very much, and you’re a good friend too.” With that said, they all fell asleep under the stars. Everyone slept well that night. In the middle of the night though, Cinder Star stirred for a few moments, as she thought she could hear a strange grinding sound close by. However, when the sound stopped, she dismissed it to be cricket and fell back asleep.

The next morning, everyone awoke and began to prepare for the journey ahead of them. The sooner they were on their way, the closer they would be to the ocean. After a quick breakfast, Cinder Star led Majestic away from the camp so she could talk to him alone. There was something troubling her. “Jes,” she asked her husband, “What do you think about Noble and Abyss?”

Majestic was briefly taken aback by this but replied, “I think they are two good persons, Star, and they make a wonderful couple, or, at least, they did.” He frowned as he finished.

“So do I,” said Cinder Star. “And that’s why we have to get them back together again. I’m just not sure how,” she sighed.

“You’re right, of course, my dear,” Majestic mused. “They need each other.”

The Prince and Princess of Unicornia stood side by side in silence for a moment as they looked back at the pegasus and kelpie in question standing apart among the others. “You know,” said Majestic with a smile, “In a way, they actually remind me of us. We were different too, but we were so much alike, and love brought us together.”

“Indeed, my love,” Cinder Star replied with a soft laugh. “I had thought of that too.”

“Perhaps…,” pondered Majestic, “Perhaps something will happen on this journey that will bring them back together on their own.”

Their moment of peace was suddenly broken by a loud “Yikes!” from Sir Light Shield. The knight had thought to check the water barrel in the wagon before they moved on, but a moment later he came running toward Majestic and Cinder Star. “Your Highnesses!” he cried out as he neared, and came to a quick stop right before them. “You must come at once!” he said breathlessly. “There’s something you need to see!”

“What’s wrong?” asked Cinder Star.

“The water barrel is nearly empty!” exclaimed Light Shield.

Cinder Star and Majestic did not hesitate to follow him back to the wagon in a hurry. When they arrived, they both looked down into the open barrel and gasped. The water barrel was almost completely empty, just as Light Shield had said. There was only a small amount of water that still remained at the very bottom. Majestic nearly stumbled with surprise, but caught himself. “Oh no!” cried Cinder Star.

Now everyone knew that something was wrong, and they all trotted over to the wagon to see for themselves. “What? What happened?” asked Serenity as she bounded over with Abyss beside her.

“The water barrel is empty!” answered Cinder Star. “We have lost all the water we collected yesterday,” she sighed.

“And here’s why,” said Majestic. He pointed with his nose to a small hole in the side of the barrel, near the bottom. “It looks as though the barrel sprang a leak, right between the wooden planks, and then the water simply drained through the bottom of the wagon.”

This news caused great worry amongst the rescue team, but none were as fearful as Abyss. “Oh, dear,” she said slowly. She knew more than anyone else what this meant.

“This is very bad,” said Noble. “And, of all times, for this to happen.”

“I smell a rat,” murmured Sir Gallant quietly.

Abyss leaned against the wagon. “How can we make it to the ocean now?” she asked despairingly.

Cinder Star stepped down from the wagon, and hugged Abyss. “Don’t worry,” she said. “We will find a way, whatever it takes. I made a promise. Remember?”

Abyss sighed, and slowly nodded her head in reply.

“Well then,” declared Regal. “It would be best if we leave quickly. The ocean is not going to come to us after all.”

“As much as I would hate to admit it,” said Majestic as he returned to the ground as well, “He is right. It is best if we get moving again.”

“But how can we move on without water?” asked Light Shield.

Majestic thought for a moment, and then replied, “We will just have to hurry and make do with less. We can still use the water left in the barrel, and fill the two small buckets with water as well. It won’t be much, but it will be better than nothing at all.” He turned to Magus and asked to see the map again. Magus quickly unrolled the map on the ground with his magic and they studied it together for a moment. “Hmm…,” said Majestic. “I’m sure there must be more water between the ocean and ourselves. A small lake or a pond, perhaps.”

“Yes, there is,” said Magus. “There is a pond right about here,” he said as he pointed to a certain spot on the map with his hoof. “I’ve been there before, and saw it myself.”

“Do you think you can find it again?” asked Majestic.

“Yes, I believe I can,” Magus replied. “We will have to leave the road for a while, but I know the way.”

Cinder Star joined them to see the map for herself. “That is very well, Magus,” said Cinder Star. “But the question is, can we get there by nightfall?” she asked with concern in her voice.

“We will,” confirmed Magus. “I’m sure of it.”

“Good,” said Majestic. He then turned to Cinder Star. “I’m afraid this means you must only put water on Abyss when she absolutely needs more.”

“Yes,” agreed Cinder Star. “We must use it sparingly.” She returned to Abyss and gently asked her, “Do you think you can make it through today with such little water?”

Abyss took a deep breath. She was still very worried, but she answered, “I will do my best.”

“Then let’s be off!” said Majestic. “We have no option now but to hurry!”

The trip that day proved to be harder than the first. Anyone who had not felt anxious the day before was now anxious today as the severity of the situation began to present itself more plainly. Once again Abyss, Cinder Star, and Serenity were in the wagon as the rescue team continued their journey westward. Since they now carried only a little water with them, Cinder Star could only pour half a cup of water on Abyss when she looked to be quite dry.

Abyss tried her best to stay positive and keep a cheerful face, but Cinder Star could see that she was getting much weaker. As the day became hotter, Abyss began to sweat uncontrollably as what little water she had inside her began to come out of her body. The water Cinder Star poured on her would also dry quickly, and all Cinder Star and Serenity could do was help keep her calm and encourage her to not lose hope. They continued to chat with Abyss throughout the day, but their shared words became softer as Abyss’ own voice began to fail her. Noble had also moved much closer to the wagon, but he still said nothing.

The water run out in the middle of the afternoon, and Abyss felt so tired that she had to lean against the side of the wagon. Cinder Star made sure she was comfortable, and then called for the wagon to stop for a moment so she could step out. Cinder Star had thought that if she were not in the wagon, it would be lighter and travel a bit faster, so she continued to walk beside the wagon and next to Abyss as they kept moving forward.

“Don’t worry,” said Serenity, who remained sitting beside Abyss. “Everything’s going to be just fine. I know it.”

“I think so too,” replied Abyss. “I only wish the ocean was closer,” she sighed

“We are getting closer to the ocean with every minute,” Serenity reassured her. “I was…,” she paused, nervously. “I was just wondering. When we get there, will you stay with Prince Noble, or will you have to go away forever?” she asked quietly.

Abyss sighed again as she looked down at her hooves, and then at Serenity. “I’m not sure,” she replied softly. “I want to stay with him, but I don’t know if he feels the same way. For now, I can only hope, but I just don’t know.”

“Well…,” said Serenity, “If you have to go away, maybe I can go with you. To keep you company,” she suggested.

Abyss chuckled. “Thank you, Serenity,” she replied. “That is very kind of you, but I think your parents would miss you too much if you left with me.”

“Yeah,” agreed Serenity. “I suppose you’re right, and I really love my family.”

“I’m glad,” Abyss answered. “But, for now, I have question for you. Just out of curiosity, how did your mother get those glass slippers of hers anyway?” she asked.

“Oh, now that is quite a story!” replied Serenity and she proceeded to tell Abyss her favorite story about her parents first met. She remembered though to keep her voice down so as to help Abyss remain calm during this time, but, as Serenity went on, Abyss couldn’t help but find herself increasingly fascinated by this story.

“Wow!” said Abyss, when Serenity had finished. “That’s amazing!” I’ve heard many stories, but that was beautiful! Not even in the ocean have I ever before heard anything quite like that.”

“Definitely,” replied Serenity, “And I’m glad to be a part of that story, in a way,” she added. “I just hope that I be as great as my parents one day.”

Abyss cracked a smile at Serenity. “Why?” she asked. “Is it because you already have your eye on that young colt, Ready Blaze?”

Serenity jumped. “Wh-what!? N-N-NO!” she stuttered. “I-I mean, what do you mean? We’re just friends, and besides, he’s a yearling!”

“Oh, but I saw you two at the ball two nights ago,” teased Abyss. “And you two looked so cute together! Not only that,” she continued, “But being friends can lead to being close friends, and that can lead to being all lovey-dovey one of these days, you know.”

Serenity was now blushing. “Oh…, Oh, please, Mrs. Abyss!” said Serenity defensively. Now you’re getting way too far ahead of me. You’re just trying to get under my fur, and princesses shouldn’t tease like that!” she huffed.

“I know,” said Abyss. “But I just did.” She gave Serenity a cheeky grin, and stuck her tongue out at her, just a little. “Ah, come on,” she laughed. “You have to admit it was funny.”

The young Unicorn Princess, tried to resist, but Abyss’ laughter was catching, and soon after, Serenity began to giggle and then laugh alongside Abyss. “Alright,” she conceded, “It was pretty funny.” Neither of them saw Noble’s eyes open wide.

By this time, twilight was falling, and Magus suddenly changed his direction from west to northwest, and away from the road. No one questioned him though, as he had said he knew where he was going. He only stopped twice to check his map, and before long he suddenly shouted, “There it is! We found it!” as they reached the top of a hill. He pointed ahead of them and to his left. Sure enough, at the bottom of the hill, there was a small pond with lily pads and surrounded by reeds.

“Thank goodness!” said Cinder Star with relief.

“Well done, Magus!” Majestic congratulated the wizard.

Magus smiled. “I told you it was here,” he said modestly.

The wagon pulled up close to the little pond where Cinder Star and Serenity helped Abyss down to the ground. Then they escorted her to the pond while the unicorn guards moved the wagon out of the way. Abyss was most grateful to reach the water and promptly lay down in it. She thanked Cinder Star and Serenity for their assistance, and then, with a sigh and a smile, she fell asleep right where she was.

The rest of the team soon had their camp set up for the night. Everyone was tired, so little was said that evening. They each ate an apple for their strength, and then lay down on their blankets. Cinder Star and Serenity stayed close by Abyss again, and, surprisingly, Noble slept close by as well. Soon it seemed everyone was asleep under the stars.

Everyone, that is, except Serenity. She was worried about Abyss, and her worrying kept her awake. Like her mother, Serenity was confident that they would get Abyss to the ocean in time, but she would have felt much better if they were already there. Serenity dwelt on this in her mind for a long time, until she was suddenly roused from her thoughts by the sound of rustling grass. She lifted her head just in time to see Regal and his pegasus guard walk around the wagon and out of the camp. This quickly caught the young unicorn’s curiosity, and a suspicious feeling began to rise inside her.

Serenity quietly got up, and began to follow them, carefully treading her hooves softly on the ground so they wouldn’t hear her. When she got to the wagon, she peaked over the edge and saw that Regal and his guard were standing about twenty feet beyond the wagon, where they apparently thought they were far enough away from the camp to be heard by anyone. Serenity got down low on the ground and slowly crawled forward, under the wagon, so she could hear what they were saying. She was just close enough to hear their words.

“Are you sure everything will be ready?” asked Regal in a hushed voice.

“Certainly, Your Highness,” replied his guard. “I instructed the rest of your guards to fly ahead and wait for our arrival on the western beach right at the end of the road. They know to ambush the unicorns when you give the word.”

“Very good,” said Regal with a wicked smile. “We will stop this foolishness, and get rid of that kelpie once and for all!”

The two of them shared a soft laugh before Regal continued. “By the way, good job with the sabotage of the water barrel,” he congratulated his guard. “You drilled the hole is just the right spot.”

“A simple task, Your Highness,” replied the pegasus guard. “Nothing more.”

“That’s fine,” said Regal. “The trap has been set, and we only have to wait for this silly bunch of horses, who can’t fly, to walk right into it.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” agreed the guard. “You are so clever.”

“Indeed I am,” boasted Regal.

A soft gasp escaped Serenity. Luckily, it was so low that the two pegasi didn’t notice, but Serenity didn’t wait to find out. As quickly and quietly as she could, she retreated from underneath the wagon, and scurried back to the safety of her blanket beside her mother.

For a brief moment, Regal thought he heard something shuffle close by, and looked under the wagon, but he saw nothing. He shrugged and dismissed the thought. By the time Regal and his guard returned to the camp, Serenity was already pretending to be asleep. Pretending to sleep, helped the little unicorn to fall asleep for real, so she stayed where she was for the rest of the night.

In the morning, Serenity wasted no time in telling her mother everything when they were alone. Cinder Star was alarmed by this news, and then they quickly told the same to Majestic. Both mother and daughter spoke in whispers, but they were still frantic as they passed the word. “Are you absolutely sure about this?” Majestic asked Serenity in a hushed voice.

“Yes, Father,” Serenity replied. “I heard every word they said!”

“And I did hear a strange noise two nights ago,” added Cinder Star. “That must have been when they drilled the hole in the water barrel.

“Huh,” said Majestic thoughtfully. “So that’s what Regal has been planning this whole time. A clever trap.”

“What can we do?” asked Cinder Star. “We must not let Regal carry out his plan!”

“Certainly not!” answered Majestic. “We won’t even give him a chance to. Don’t worry. I have an idea.”

Majestic then went to speak to Magus. He found him observing the map and planning their route. “Magus,” he asked him in a hushed voice, “Suppose we didn’t return to the road, how far are we from the coast if we went straight there, from here, as the crow flies?”

“Hmm…,” pondered Magus as he studied the map. “It would take a little longer than using the road, but we could be there by sunset, if we hurry that is. Why?”

Majestic quietly explained to him that the road was no longer an option because of Regal’s trap.

“I see,” said Magus as he rolled up his map and placed it in his saddle bag. “You’re right. We must upset his plans, but we still have to hurry if we are to make it in time.”

“Right!” agreed Majestic. He then turned to address everyone else who were busily packing up the camp. “Everyone!” called Majestic to get their attention and they all stopped to look at him so he could make his announcement. “After discussing the final leg of our journey, Magus and I have decided that, instead of wasting time to find the road again, we shall instead travel straight to the ocean from right here! Time is still precious, so must make haste!”

“WHAT!?” exclaimed Regal who was very surprised by this sudden change. “Why are we changing the route now of all times?”

“As I said,” answered Majestic. “We don’t want to waste time. Also, why go back to the road when we can simply go the coast from here?”

“But… but… surely the road would be faster!” objected Regal. “It must be!”

“How would you know?” asked Magus. “You don’t live in Unicornia.”

“And we have wasted enough time already,” finished Majestic decidedly. “Everyone must now finish packing so we can leave at once!”

The unicorns quickly went back to work despite the now fuming pair of pegasi, and soon all was ready. They had decided to leave the water barrel behind as it only served now as extra weight, but they still filled the two buckets with water to take with them. Cinder Star helped Abyss to her hooves and out of the pond, but as Abyss began to walk forward, she suddenly stumbled. Her knees buckled and she fell down on her side, before Cinder Star could stop her. Abyss hit the ground with a hard thud that knocked her breath out. “Abyss!” Cinder Star gasped, and she quickly knelt down to help her.

“Oh no!” said Noble as he immediately rushed over along with Majestic. “What happened? Is she all right?!” he asked.

Abyss panted for air as she wearily looked up at Noble while Cinder Star looked her over. It was when Cinder Star touched Abyss’ shoulder with her nose that her eyes went wide. “Oh my goodness!” said Cinder Star. “She feels almost as dry as a bone! The fresh water is doing very little to no good at all now! Her strength is nearly all gone,” she replied as she looked to Noble.

Cinder Star could see that Noble was very worried and scared. His face showed it. “We have to go!” said Noble with an urgent tone in his voice. “NOW! Here…” he said as he bowed his front low to the ground. “Help me put her on my back, and I’ll carry her to the wagon!”

Without a word, Majestic gently lifted Abyss just high enough off the ground so Noble could wriggle his way under Abyss, and the lift her on his back as he stood up. Noble carried the kelpie mare up into the wagon and set her down carefully, allowing her to slowly slide off his back with Cinder Star’s guidance. Abyss leaned herself against the side of the wagon as before with her head resting on the side. “Th-thank you,” she said weakly through her breaths which had become long and slow.

Cinder Star and Noble then hopped down from the wagon, but Serenity remained in the wagon with Abyss so she could assist her as before. The rescue team then set off once again, however, this time, everyone kept up a brisk pace as they galloped across green fields, heading due west. They only trotted when they were too tired to gallop, as they gallantly pushed themselves on and on.

Everyone was anxious to get to the ocean, everyone that is except Regal who kept on grumbling with his guard as the team blazed their own trail that day. As usual, no one paid them much attention, but Cinder Star was worried about what Regal might do now, since he knew his plan to ambush the team had been foiled. While the team was trotting around mid-day, Cinder Star quickened her pace so she could speak with Majestic. “What will we do about Regal?” she asked him in a whisper. “I’m worried that he may do something nasty when we get to the ocean.”

“I know,” Majestic replied. “I’ve been thinking of that myself. Don’t worry. I have a plan,” he reassured her. “Just keep Abyss calm no matter what happens.”

“All right,” agreed Cinder Star as they began to gallop again. “I will do just that.”

Cinder Star slowed her pace so she could once again gallop next to Abyss. Over the next hour though, she saw that Majestic would casually gallop alongside both Light Shield and Gallant and talk quietly with them. She assumed that Majestic was explaining his plan to them, as indeed he was. Regal, in his upset state, didn’t notice any of this. However, Cinder Star had noticed that Regal was no longer raving over his spoiled plot and was now quietly muttering something with his guard. She gulped as she thought of what they could be planning next.

While all this was happening, Abyss slowly shifted her head on the side of the wagon so she could look at Cinder Star. “Cinder… Star…,” Abyss said in between wheezing breaths, and her once beautiful voice, now raspy. “In case… I don’t… make it…, thank you… for… trying…”

“N-Now don’t talk like that,” replied Cinder Star bravely but gently. “We will make it. YOU are going to make it,” she said as confidently as she could. “Just hold on.” Abyss could only reply with a hard breath as she struggled to hold on to life. By now, what little water they had brought with them had been long since used on Abyss, and Serenity could only do her best to comfort Abyss by talking to her, even though Abyss had no strength to answer her.

Throughout the day, no one could claim to have quite the same outward determination to complete the journey as Noble. He would continuously encourage the team to travel a little faster and a little further before they had to slow for a trot, and they could never begin galloping again fast enough for the Pegasus Prince. His worry for Abyss could be seen clearly across his anxious face, but he kept pushing the team ever forward as he said, “Hurry! Hurry! We must go faster!”

The rescue team pressed on across the final bit of Unicornia’s countryside with a will and all the speed they could muster. At last, as they reached the top of one last hill, they finally caught sight of the western coast and the Western Sea beyond. “Hurrah!” shouted Light Shield. “The ocean! There it is! We did it!”

“Not yet we haven’t,” said Noble anxiously. He turned to Cinder Star. “How is Abyss?” he quickly asked her.

Cinder Star looked at the kelpie and called her name, but Abyss did not respond. She then looked to Serenity who touched Abyss’ side with her hoof. Serenity’s face was fearful as she said, “Oh no! This is not good! I think she’s almost gone!”

“We have to get her into the ocean right now!” replied Cinder Star. “There’s no time left!”

Noble did not hesitate. “I know what to do!” he said in a firm voice. “We are close enough to the ocean for me to fly her there myself.”

“Do you think you can you do it?” asked Cinder Star.

“I can manage!” answered Noble. “I have to! Quick! Help me get Abyss on my back, and I will do the rest.”

Cinder Star and Serenity were about to do as Noble asked them, when Regal and his guard suddenly thrust themselves between Noble and Abyss. “Stop!” said Regal. “Enough is enough!”

Noble was surprised. “Regal?” he asked. “What are you doing?! Move aside!”

“Are you nuts, brother?!” answered Regal. “I won’t allow this! She’s a kelpie! A monster!”

Noble glared at his brother, “No, she’s not!” he shouted. “SHE’S MY WIFE!”

“Now!” yelled Majestic. Almost instantly, Majestic and Light Shield pounced onto Regal and pinned him to the ground with their hooves on his shoulders. As they did, Gallant leapt onto Regal’s guard and did the same. They three unicorn stallions used their horns’ magic to hold down the wings the two pegasi as they struggled to break loose. Majestic glanced up at Noble and Cinder Star for a moment and shouted. “Go on! Go! Go!”

Cinder Star and Serenity made haste to slide Abyss out of the wagon and onto Noble’s back, but they did so with a bit of struggle. Noble held his wings up to help make this easier and so that he would be able to fly as soon as he ready. Cinder Star and Serenity tried hard to be gentle with Abyss, but the kelpie mare still partially plopped down on top of Noble as she lay across his back and then sagged on either side of him in a most lifeless way. Due to her current state, Abyss was now so light that Noble would have no trouble carrying her in flight.

“All right,” said Cinder Star once they were done. “It really is up to you now! Hurry!” she encouraged him. Noble positioned himself so he could have a running take off, facing the ocean. He sprinted forward, spreading his powerful wings as he ran faster and faster.

It was at that moment that Regal suddenly planted himself in Noble’s way once mare, causing him to stop. Regal had managed to break free by rapidly rolling over and kicking Majestic’s hind hooves with his own. The sudden hit caused Majestic to stumble to the right and for both he and Light Shield to weaken their hold on Regal for just a moment. That was all Regal had needed. He broke free of their grasp, took flight, and landed right in front of Noble.

“Stop!” shouted Regal. “Have you lost your senses, little Brother?”

“No!” answered Noble. “I’ve come to them! GET OUT OF MY WAY, REGAL!” he bellowed at the top of his voice.

“Never!” refused Regal.

Noble’s face became red with anger. “THAT’S IT!” he roared. With Abyss still on his back, Noble swung around on his fore hooves and gave Regal a mighty kick from his hind legs, right in his chin!

“OWWW!” Regal cried out in pain as he fell back on his haunches as raised his fore hooves to his chin. “OW! OW! OW!” A moment later, he was immediately tackled again my Majestic and Light Shield as Noble resumed his forward run. He did so without any interruptions this time. He spread his wings wide and took off into the air!

Noble flew as swift as he could across the coast of Unicornia. Nothing would stop him as he flew neither to high, in case Abyss fell off, or too low, to avoid running into trees. Below him, on the ground, the rest of the rescue team ran as fast as they could down the hill and across the shoreline to join them on the sandy beach, while Regal and his guard trailed far behind.

As soon as he was over the Western Sea, Noble glided down so that he flew just over the ocean’s surface, and then quickly landed on his haunches in shoulder deep seawater. Abyss slid off his back into ocean and disappeared beneath the waves. A moment later she floated to the top and Noble swam back to her and pushed her closer to the shore so he could hold her while sitting in the water himself.

Cinder Star, Majestic, and the rescue team arrived a few minutes later, but in time to see what happened next. They found Noble sitting in the seawater with Abyss in front of him, but the kelpie mare was not moving. She simply lay lifelessly in the water as the waves washed over her body. Noble had felt relief when he had reached the ocean, but now he was distressed. He had thought that all would be well as soon as Abyss fully submerged beneath the sea, but despite that she had done so, she did not move. In fact, she wasn’t even breathing. Noble leaned his head down and moved one of Abyss’ ears with his nose, but it simply fell back where it had rested before.

Fear and dread filled Noble’s heart and the hearts of those standing on the beach as Noble picked up Abyss in his fore legs. “Come on, Abyss!” said Noble as he dunked her beneath the seawater again three times, but still nothing happened. “Come on! Come on!” Noble pleaded as tears began to fall down his cheeks.

“Oh no,” said Cinder Star, as realization began to fall upon her and everyone else. She leaned her head into Majestic’s shoulder but kept her eyes on the sorrowful scene before them. Majestic said nothing. He simply closed his eyes and nuzzled Cinder Star’s fore head to comfort her while Magus, Light Shield, Gallant, and the two unicorn guards quietly bowed their heads respectfully.

“Were we…?” asked Serenity. “Were we too late?”

“C-Come here, Serenity,” said Cinder Star gently. The little filly did so, and Cinder Star lowered her head over her daughter’s neck to hold her close. “Don’t look, my Darling,” said Cinder Star as shared tears began to fall between mother and daughter.

In the ocean, Noble cried openly. “NO!” he cried out as he held his beloved Abyss close to him. His tears streamed from his eyes and fell across Abyss’ face. “No! No! Abyss! My Abyss! I-I’m so sorry! Please… d-don’t leave me!” He closed his eyes and rubbed his neck slowly over hers. “I love you.”

“Then I will never leave you,” said the kelpie mare held in Noble’s embrace.

Noble’s eyes popped wide open and he turned his head fast to see Abyss smiling and looking up at him. “A-Abyss?!” he gasped.

“Who else?” Abyss teased as she grinned at him and stuck her tongue out just a little in her cute, sassy way. “My Noble prince.”

“Abyss!” cried Noble happily as he hugged her tightly.

“Noble!” laughed Abyss as they both fell over in the water, but they didn’t care. Their hearts were so fully of joy! A moment later they came up again while sharing a long, lover’s kiss. Everyone standing on the beach broke out in a great cheer at the sight.

Noble and Abyss picked themselves up and walked back up onto the beach side by side. “So… how long were you actually awake?” asked Noble.

“Oh…,” teased Abyss as she replied, “Just long enough. Your confession was beautiful.”

The pegasus and kelpie were soon surrounded by all their friends. Majestic, Light Shield, and Gallant all congratulated Noble while Cinder Star and Serenity welcomed Abyss back with the warmest hug. “I’m so glad you’re alive and well again!” said Cinder Star happily.

“You look wonderful!” agreed Serenity. “I’m so glad your back!”

“It feels great to be back!” said Abyss gleefully. “The ocean has restored me to my full strength and my abilities as well.” She paused as she thought for a moment, “Speaking of which, I should make use of one of those right now.”

Abyss walked a little further away to where the beach was very sandy. She then lay herself down upon the beach and began to roll to and fro so that the sand would cover her whole body. Noble noticed her doing this and quickly trotted over to her. “Abyss?” he asked her. “What are you doing?”

“I’m covering myself with sand,” explained Abyss. “You know, so that I can change back into my pegasus form as before.”

“No,” said Noble decisively. “Please stop.”

Surprised by this, Abyss stopped rolling at once and looked up at her husband. She was very confused by this and her face showed it. “But…, but, Noble,” she answered him nervously. “If I don’t change my appearance, I can not live on land! I-I can’t be a pegasus or a princess if I don’t transform!”

Noble sighed and smiled as he looked down at her. “Never mind about being a pegasus,” he replied. “You are both my wife and a kelpie, and I am perfectly fine with that. It’s who you are, and I don’t want you to change yourself all over again just for my sake alone.”

“R-Really?” asked Abyss, as Noble helped her back to her hooves.

“Really!” Noble confirmed. He then leaned in close to her and nuzzled her cheek as he said, “And you are a princess to me. You will always be my princess, Abyss!”

“Oh, Noble!” sighed Abyss happily as she nuzzled him back. “But what will we do?” she asked. “I can not live on land as a kelpie.”

Before Noble could answer, Regal arrived on the beach with his guard. Regal snorted with disgust when he saw Abyss, and arrogantly strutted up to Noble. “So,” he mocked, “You saved the kelpie monster after all. What a shame. Ugly monsters like that…,” he pointed at Abyss, “Belong dead!”

One moment Regal was standing on his hooves, and saying whatever insults he pleased. The next, he found himself on the ground with his breath knocked out of him. Noble had suddenly charged forward and rammed into Regal, head first, causing him to fall over at once down on the sand. Behind him, Light Shield and Gallant kept Regal’s guard in check. “HOW DARE YOU BETRAY US!!” Noble bellowed as he stood over his brother, holding him down with his left fore hoof, and with his right raised and ready to strike. “You tried to kill my wife! I ought to nail you to the ground and leave you there for what you did!”

Regal was shocked by the impact, but managed to say, “You wouldn’t dare!”

“Oh, wouldI now?!” asked Noble sarcastically.

“It will not do you any good when we return to Pegasopolis,” replied Regal defensively. “Our father, the Emperor, will have you thrown in the dungeon for your incompetence, and then he will see to it that your precious kelpie is destroyed himself!”

“Who said anything about us returning to Pegasopolis?” asked Noble.

Abyss walked forward and stood next to her husband. “Noble, please,” she said kindly. “Let him go. No one else needs to get hurt today…,” she suddenly paused. “Wait, what?” she asked.

“Wait, what?” repeated Regal, as he gave his brother a bewildered look. “What do you mean?”

“I mean,” Noble answered in a clear voice, as he moved off of Regal and let him stand up, “That I am not going back to Pegasopolis! You will be going back yourself. Abyss and I are going to stay behind and forge our own lives together.”

“Y-You can’t do that!” protested Regal.

“I most certainly can,” said Noble. He suddenly removed his royal red sash, without hesitation, and tossed it on the ground in front of Regal. “I will not let Abyss get hurt again, so the simply solution is to simply not return to Pegasopolis. The throne will be all yours, but you will have to explain to our father, why you came back alone.”

“What… you… but… I…,” Regal sputtered. “No! That wasn’t the plan!” he shouted.

“Oh, too bad!” replied Noble. “But that’s your problem. I am not going with you, and that is my final word!”

Regal was about to retort, but Noble cut him off. “And, unlike you, Abyss and I have friends here,” he motioned with his head toward Cinder Star, Majestic, and the others standing close by in case there would be any more trouble. “So, if you have any sort of decency left in you, I suggest you leave Unicornia with all your guards at once, while you still can.”

There were a few moments of silence as the two brothers starred each other down, but finally, Regal snarled and said, “Fine! I have better things to do anyway! Good riddance to you all!” He snatched up Noble’s red sash, called his guard to him, and they turned their backs to Noble and the rest. The two pegasi then spread their wings and promptly flew away, without once looking back.

“You didn’t have to do that,” said Abyss softly to Noble. “Pegasopolis was your home.”

“No,” replied Noble. He turned to his wife and smiled. “My home is with you, Abyss, wherever you are, my beautiful bride.”

Abyss blushed. “Oh, Noble,” she replied. “You’re so sweet, but…, I don’t understand. How can we stay together if I don’t change back into a pegasus? What are going to do?” she asked.

Noble gave Abyss a knowing grin, and then said, “My dear, before, you changed yourself for my sake, just so we could be together. Now, it’s my turn. I want to change myself for you, Abyss. I want to join you in the ocean.”

“What?!” exclaimed Abyss. She was very surprised. “Y-You want to live in the sea like a kelpie?!”

“Yes,” answered Noble. “If we can live together on the land, I have no doubt that we can live together in the sea.”

There was silence for a few moments as everyone pondered what the Pegasus Prince was suggesting. Finally, Abyss asked no one in particular, “Can… can it be done?”

Magus coughed and walked forward. “Actually, yes,” he answered Abyss, “And it just so happens that I can help you two.”

“Really?” asked Noble. “So… you can change me into a kelpie?”

“Well, no,” said Magus. “I can not do that. Only kelpies have the ability to change their form, but I can give you the next best thing.”

“Oh?” asked Abyss curiously. “What is it then?”

“This…,” answered Magus as he carefully slid his saddle bags off onto the sand, opened one, and pulled out a red pendant on a silver chain with his horn’s magic. “This jewel is enchanted,” explained the wizard. “As long as you wear it, you can breath underwater. Will this do?” he asked.

Abyss gasped. “Yes!” said Noble excitedly. “That would mean a lot to us, but how can we pay you for something so valuable?” he asked.

“Free of charge,” replied Magus. “Only promise me that you two will stay together, and you will not have a bit of trouble.”

“You have a deal there, friend!” answered Noble eagerly. “I guarantee it!”

“We promise!” agreed Abyss. The kelpie was beaming with joy as Magus hung the pendant around Noble’s neck. “Oh, this is wonderful!” she said excitedly. “I have so much to show you, Noble!” She then turned to Magus. “Thank you, kind Wizard!” she said happily.

“A thousand ‘Thank Yous!’ added Noble. “We can not thank you enough!”

“Don’t mention it,” replied Magus humbly. “I’m glad I could help.”

“Magus, you truly are a marvel!” Cinder Star praised the wizard. “But, how did you know to bring that pendant with you?” she asked.

“I… just had a hunch,” said Magus with a small smile. “So I thought I would bring it along and give it to our friends here when the time was right and everything had worked out. However…,” his face turned somber. “I’m afraid this also means the time has come to tell our friends ‘Good Bye.’” He turned to Noble and Abyss and then gently motioned toward the ocean with his fore hoof. “The sea awaits you,” he said simply.

Abyss and Noble’s faces both fell as they realized this, as did everyone else’s. Noble sighed. “I suppose this really is Good Bye,” he observed respectfully as he stepped forward to speak with Majestic. “You were right,” said Noble to Majestic, “When you said if we loved each other, we would find a way. Thank you, friend, for helping us find it. It has been an honor to walk this journey with you.” He then looked at Light Shield, Gallant, and the unicorn guards. “All of you.”

“The honor was ours,” answered Majestic, as the two knights and guards nodded in agreement. “You truly are a most noble and worthy pegasus prince, Prince Noble.”

Abyss rushed forward and threw her forelegs around Cinder Star. She could no longer hold back her tears as she embraced the Unicorn Princess. “Th-Thank you so much for everything, my friend!” she cried as Cinder Star hugged her back tightly. “You kept your promise! Thank you for never giving up on me. I wouldn’t have made it without you, and you too, Serenity.” Abyss reached a fore leg toward Serenity and invited her to join in their hug. Serenity was glad to, and all three mare found tears in their eyes as they said ‘Farewell.’

“It was my pleasure,” replied Cinder Star. “Anything for a friend and you are my friend, Abyss.”

“Thank you for all the stories,” said Serenity. “I will never forget you.”

“And I’ll never forget you either,” replied Abyss as they all finally pulled away from their long hug. Abyss smiled bravely at Serenity and then Cinder Star, who both smiled back. “I promise,” said Abyss in a clear voice, “That all kelpies will know that they have a good friend in you, Cinder Star. “I will let them all know what you have done for me.”

“I simply did what was right,” answered Cinder Star. “Just a little kindness goes a long way.”

Abyss nodded her head, and then she rejoined Noble. They now stood between their friends and the sea. “Are you ready?” asked Noble.

“I am,” replied Abyss. “Are you?” she asked with a sniffle.

“Indeed,” said Noble.

“Remember,” called Cinder Star, “That you are both always welcome here in Unicornia. Please come and visit us sometimes!”

“I’m sure we will,” said Abyss. “Someday.”

Noble and Abyss gave a bow of respect, and Cinder Star and Majestic returned the gesture. The pegasus and kelpie then turned and began to walk toward the sea, but they paused for a brief moment. Abyss turned to Noble and said, “I do have one question. On the way here, when did you realize that I was still me, kelpie or no?”

Noble blushed as he answered. “When you were teasing little Serenity,” he replied, “You stuck out your tongue in your special little way. I knew then, for certain, that you were my Abyss and I would always love you no matter what.”

“I’m glad,” said Abyss as she stuck out her tongue again just a little. As usual, Noble blushed even harder. “Because I feel the same way,” she teased. “I also hope that you get used to a lot of swimming from now on,” she said as they walked down into the sea.

“Now you know that I like to swim, dear,” said Noble, and with that, the pegasus stallion and kelpie mare disappeared beneath the waves.

Cinder Star, Majestic, and rest on the beach stood quietly as they watched the reunited couple disappear into the sea. After a few moments, Serenity broke the silence. “Daddy?” she asked. “Does this mean that the Legend of the Kelpies now finally has a happy ending?”

“Yes, Serenity,” replied Majestic. “It does indeed.”

“And they will live happily every after,” added Cinder Star.

Cinder Star, Majestic, Serenity, and their friends walked southerly down the beach until they arrived at the small Unicorn town on the coast. Once there they enjoyed a well earned rest that night and all of the next day. Serenity had a wonderful time trotting up and down the seashore and collecting seashells to share with Ready Blaze. The following day, the team gathered some new, fresh supplies for the journey home, and then departed that morning. They headed east down the road that would lead them back home again.

Three days later, the team arrived back at the castle to a warm welcome. When they arrived, Cinder Star and Majestic gave a full report of their successful mission to King Imperial Might and Queen Aurora who were very pleased, and granted everyone on the team a whole week to fully rest after their rushed journey to the Western Sea and back again. Serenity, of course, spent this week grounded, but she found ways to enjoy her time away from her studies anyway, and all soon returned to normal. Prince Regal and his guards had long since departed Unicornia, and so all was well.

. . .

As it turned out, Cherry Blossom found she was indeed with foal, and nine months later, she gave birth to a healthy, unicorn filly with a purple coat and a yellow mane. Cherry Blossom and Sir Gallant named her Velvet Lace, and Cinder Star along with all who lived in the castle would have the pleasure of watching her grow up next to Serenity and Ready Blaze.

Two months after this event, Cinder Star and Majestic, dressed in their royal regalia, were standing together on a balcony overlooking the castle gardens. Below them, they watched as their daughter Serenity and Ready Blaze raced around the gardens playing and laughing merrily. Cinder Star let out a small sigh.

“Is something wrong, my dear?” asked Majestic.

“No,” replied Cinder Star. “Everything’s alright. It’s just that… the foals are growing up so fast. What are we going to do with them?” she asked rhetorically with a happy sighed.

“All that we can,” answered Majestic. “Love them, teach them, and be there for them when they need us the most.”

“And treasure every moment we have them,” finished Cinder Star.

“Even still,” said Majestic. “It is a shame that we can’t stop them from growing up.”

“It’s true,” Cinder Star chuckled. “But I suppose we will cross that bridge whenever we come to it.”

“And whatever happens,” added Majestic with a smile. “We will always have each other.”

The happy couple was about to share a kiss when something caught their attention. Down in the gardens, Ready Blaze was chasing Serenity in a game of tag, when suddenly one of Serenity’s silver slippers fell off one of her hind hooves. Ready Blaze stopped for a moment and stared down at the slipper in front of him. Serenity had stopped too, as she was both confused and wondering what exactly the colt would do next.

Ready Blaze suddenly had a wide grin on his face as he picked up the silver slipper in his horn’s magic and looked at the filly only a short distance ahead of him. “New rule, Shoes!” he called. “I will marry the one whose hoof fits this slipper!”

“Oh, really!” Serenity called back. “You will have to catch me first, Red!” she shouted as she galloped away, gigging as she went with Ready Blaze close behind.

Up on the balcony, Cinder Star and Majestic could not help but laugh as the two foals resumed their game. They were such wonderful foals, and soon enough, little Velvet Lace would be playing along with them.

“I love you, Jes,” said Cinder Star.

“And I love you too, my shinning Star,” replied Majestic, as they joined together for a lover’s kiss.

The End.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment