• Published 17th Dec 2021
  • 5,626 Views, 221 Comments

Ultimate Spiders and Magic: Episode II "Rainbow Rocks" - Maximus_Reborn



Life in Canterlot High continues to be challenging for new student, Peter Parker, and rookie superhero, Spider-Man. It seems to only grow worse for both as the Battle of the Bands nears, and three mysterious new girls show an interest in his misery.

  • ...
13
 221
 5,626

Ch. 2: Different Yet Familiar

Chapter Two “Different Yet Familiar”

Sunset sat in the courtyard with the others, reading through a book. Rainbow Dash kicked a soccer ball in place while Rarity carefully added some gloss to Fluttershy’s nails. Applejack and Pinkie sat underneath the horse statue, humming their respective melodies. Sunset turned momentarily, staring at the mirror positioned next to her position before letting out a low sigh.

Rainbow Dash paused, scooping up her soccer ball in her hands. “Are you sure she’s coming?”

“She’ll be here,” Sunset calmly retorted, closing her book shut. “We just have to wait.”

Before long, a small ray of energy materialized into existence where the mirror previously stood before it expanded. Suddenly, a small being with long violet hair holding a lone pink strand at the center fell from the spiraling portal and crashed in a heap. Sunset rushed to the individual, kneeling next to the person. A girl with purple skin steadily lifted her head, blinking upon sharing a glance with those surrounding her.

With a sheepish smile, the girl giggled nervously. “I’m back.”

“Twilight!” everyone exclaimed, rushing to the girl before embracing her soundly while Sunset watched from a small distance.

Sobering, Twilight broke the embrace and shook her head. “I’ve got some bad news about those girls. We need to talk.” She held out a hand and furrowed her brow. “I have to get used to this again.”

Pinkie edged closer to the girl before arching a brow. “Hey, Twilight. Are you okay? You seem different.”

Twilight simply smirked. “A lot has happened since I last saw you girls.”

“A lot? It’s only been a few weeks since we last saw you,” Applejack responded, crossing her arms before shrugging. “Then again, a lot can happen in a few weeks.”

Slack-jawed, Twilight’s eyes widened. “A few weeks?” She reached out, eyeing her violet skirt and blue shirt. Pursing her lips, Twilight continued to survey her slim frame with a furrowed brow. The girl soon ran to the mirror, brushing a hand over her face upon gazing at her reflection. “Yeah. A lot can happen in a few weeks.”

“What do you mean by that?” Rarity questioned, holding a hand over her chest.

A look of uncertainty filled Twilight’s violet eyes as she glanced around aimlessly. “Uh, nothing. Let’s find a quiet place to chat. We can catch up while I brief you about your situation.”


Peter walked through the halls of the school with a bemused expression. Everyone had been practically consumed by the upcoming Battle of the Bands approaching to the point of annoyance. He paused momentarily, arching a brow as students seemed to have stared him down angrily. Simply shrugging, Peter pressed on and continued his way before eventually reaching a locker. From afar, Adagio stood with a devious smile on her face and watched the young man intently.

“Is it just me or is everyone unusually crabby today?” Peter questioned inwardly, sorting through the contents of his locker. “It’s like nobody can make up their mind. Are they overly positive or negative? It’s such a headache. Speaking of which, I have a huge migraine.” He paused, rubbing a hand over his temple momentarily. “I can’t tell what that’s about. It’s like my Spider Sense won’t stop buzzing, but I’m not in danger… as far as I can tell.”

Suddenly, a hand slammed into the locker next to Peter, prompting the young man to face the source. Flash chuckled lightly while smiling widely. “Parker! Don’t you know it’s rude to not say hello? This is exactly why nobody likes you.”

Peter merely blinked before scoffing under his breath. “I thought it was because you won’t leave me alone.” He closed his locker before slowly turning to leave. However, he paused upon spotting a spider emblem on Flash’s chest, matching that of his alter-ego. Peter raised a finger. “Nice shirt, by the way.”

Flash smirked, placing his hand over the emblem. “That’s probably the only cool thing you ever said. Spider-Man is the absolute coolest, not that you’d ever get that.”

“Seriously? A lot of people consider him a menace, here and back in New York,” Peter declared with both shock and bewilderment.

Reaching out, Flash grabbed hold of Peter’s collar before lifting him from the ground. “I don’t have to explain anything to you, Parker. I just think he’s cool. Enough said. If I hear you saying anything bad about him, we’re having a little chat.”

“Sure, sure,” Peter quickly affirmed, nodding while raising his hands defensively.

Content with the answer, Flash readied to lower the smaller boy, but his eyes widened as a realization came to mind. “Hey. It’s Tuesday! You know what that means!” Flash rushed outside with Peter in tow before tossing him headfirst into the nearest dumpster. “It’s Garbage Day!”

Peter could only sit in his current predicament with his feet protruding from the canister while surrounding students laughed at his expense. He let out a defeated sigh, blankly staring at the sky. “Thanks, Flash. I almost forgot.”

Adagio entered the fray, inhaling deeply as sparkling energies rushed into her being. Releasing a pleased moan, she brushed a hand through her curly hair. “How divine.” She steadily approached Flash, placing a hand over his shoulder. “Excuse me. I think you missed a piece.” Adagio reached down, picking up a piece of crumpled paper before tossing it onto Peter’s prone figure. She soon smiled at Flash. “I can’t have you littering now. What would everyone think?”

Flash chuckled, straightening his shoulders confidently. “I’ll be more careful next time.” He paused, never losing his smile. “Hey, are you new around here? I’m Flash.”

“His real name’s Eugene– Ow!” Peter bluntly declared from the confines of the dumpster before Flash dropped his backpack on top of him.

“Where are my manners? My name’s Adagio,” the girl politely responded, paying no mind to Peter, “I’ve only been here for a couple of days, but I know all about you Flash. I must say that I’m quite impressed. You just ooze charisma.” Holding out her hand, Adagio winked seductively. “Take me to lunch?”

Flash quickly accepted the gesture, gently taking hold of the girl’s hand. “My pleasure.” As the pair walked off, the young man waved dismissively. “Smell you later, Parker!”

Once they had exited the vicinity, Peter managed to roll back to a vertical base. “That was almost charming. Glad to see Flash is making friends at least.” Exhaling, Peter reached to the side and retrieved his backpack before climbing out of the dumpster. “Is it weird that I’m almost jealous that Flash likes Spider-Man more than Peter Parker? Just like my luck that my biggest fan is also my worst enemy.” He paused, sniffing his arm before frowning. “God, I hope this washes off.”


Within the depths of the library, Twilight scrolled the pages of a book before tapping a finger against a picture. Sunset, as well as the others, gathered around before gazing upon the photograph. A creature stood at the center, harboring scales and fangs. Underneath was a wall of text as well as more pictures of the animal.

“Those girls you encountered are sirens,” Twilight stated as her eyes softened, “They are an ancient race long extinct in my world. They have powerful magic through song and feed on the negative emotions of those around them. The more they feed, the stronger they become. When they sing, they can influence the will of their prey. They were banished from my world by Starswirl the Bearded thousands of years ago.”

Rarity frowned. “They certainly took their time getting started. I wonder why they were so slow moving along?”

Twilight eased into her seat and raised a finger, pausing to stare at her digit momentarily. “Magic works in mysterious ways when it comes to time and interdimensional travel. Somepony–I mean, somebody– explained it to me like an interchanging web. Each strand is going to bring something different. Starswirl banished the sirens from my world thousands of years ago, but for all we know, it’s only been days to them.” The girl trailed off, glancing to the side. “It applies to me, too. It’s only been a few weeks since you girls saw me, but on my end, it’s been far longer than that.”

Pinkie edged closer to Twilight, rubbing the underside of her chin. “Is that why you’re so different? How long are you talking? Hours? Days? Weeks? Years?”

Twilight cleared her throat. “Focus, Pinkie. That’s not important right now.”

Applejack firmly nodded. “She’s right. We’re past that. Those sirens practically turned the entire school on its head with their performance in the cafeteria yesterday. They even got to Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna.”

“Are we affected? I mean, I don’t feel any different,” Rainbow Dash declared, arching a brow.

Twilight shook her head before closing her eyes. “I don’t think so. I can still feel the magic from all of you. Whether you did it subconsciously or not, it acted as a shield. Otherwise, you all would have felt it yesterday. You’re lucky.”

“Um… so what do we do?” Fluttershy meekly questioned, brushing her hands together nervously.

Pausing, Twilight crossed her arms and sighed. “I say we talk to them and see what they want. If we’re lucky, we can avoid any fighting.”

Applejack paused, smirking. “That’s rather diplomatic. You sure they aren’t just monsters? They had to have been banished for good reason.”

Twilight frowned. “Banishment wasn’t the wisest choice. We learned that in hindsight. As a princess now, I’m learning to try every option instead of the most impulsive one.”

Pinkie Pie raised a finger. “Here’s an idea. Why don’t we just call the cops?”

An awkward silence filled the room before Rarity blinked. “That… is actually a good idea for you, Pinkie, but if those girls have already affected the principals, they’d just do the same thing again.” As Pinkie frowned, Rarity patted her shoulders reassuringly. “Don’t be ashamed, darling. It was still an excellent idea.”

Rainbow Dash huffed, elbowing Sunset’s forearm playfully. “Hear that? Maybe that’s why your dorkfriend acted like such a jerk when we met.”

Sunset shook her head while rubbing her forearm. “Knock it off. Sure, he’s a little dorky, but I think he’s cute. Plus, I think you’re being a little hard on him. He’s nice when you get to know him. You saw that he gets picked on a lot.” She lowered her gaze sadly. “I get why he’s a little jaded. I can’t really blame him.”

“Sounds like you have a crush,” Twilight grinned as she slowly began to close her book gently. “What’s his name? Seems like he’s intelligent if Rainbow openly calls him a dork.”

Slow to respond, Sunset chuckled nervously. “It’s nothing, really! I mean, yeah. His name’s Peter Parker. He’s a new transfer that’s been here for a couple of weeks now.”

Twilight finished closing her book. “A new student?”

Rainbow Dash huffed. “Don’t let her fool you. The guy’s a total flake. He even made fun of our names when we first met.”

Applejack arched a brow, rolling her eyes. “You sure are taking that personally. The fella ain’t from around here. It was just an honest mistake.”

Twilight smirked. “Please don’t tell me that he called you Skittles.”

Snorting, Rainbow sharply pointed her finger against Twilight’s forehead. “No! And if he even thinks about it, I’ll kill him!”

Rarity eased next to Twilight, smiling. “Speaking of that, darling. You should catch up with Flash. I remember you two being quite close the last time you were here.”

Blinking, Twilight’s head tilted to the side. “Who?” The girl’s brow furrowed as she dove into thought for what seemed like ages before a realization struck her mind like lightning to a rod. “Oh! Flash! Sorry. That slipped my mind. A lot has happened since then. I’ve–”

Rarity paused, her mouth falling agape once her gaze settled on the ruby gem around Twilight’s neck. “I must say that gem is precious! Where did you find such a gem?”

Chuckling, Twilight gently took hold of the ruby gem before easing it back underneath her shirt. “That’s what I’m trying to tell you. Long story short, I’ve met someone.”

“Sounds romantic! You must tell us about the lucky boy!” Rarity cheered, squeezing both of Twilight’s shoulders tightly.

Twilight gently broke away from Rarity’s grasp with a sheepish grin. “I’ll tell you about him later. I promise. Right now, we need to talk to the sirens first.”

Sobering, everyone shared a nod before rushing out of the library. Pinkie Pie took the lead, bouncing in place. “Ooh! There’s a party going on right now! All of the bands are gathering there.”

“That’s where we’re headin’. Come on!” Applejack stated, increasing her pace.

However, Twilight took hold of Sunset’s forearm once they reached the door. “I’m glad you’re moving on.”

Sunset blinked. “What do you mean?”

“I can tell you are trying your best to make amends. Just keep doing your best. I already see a difference in you. So, don’t get discouraged!” Twilight murmured, releasing her hold before waving a hand dismissively. “Anyway, let’s go!”

Scratching the back of her head, Sunset could only stare at Twilight as she exited the room. Her lips slowly curled into a smile before she quietly followed. “R-Right!”


Peter stared blankly at the courtyard. Many of the students had gathered, all of which were participating in the upcoming Battle of the Bands. Each group was broken off into sections, keeping to themselves. Peter sorted his way through the crowds, arching a brow at some of the themes being performed. Some of the students continued to glare at him sharply, prompting the young man to keep his line of sight straightened. Eventually, he reached the center stage and paused upon recognizing a flow of silver-blue hair.

“Oh, geez. Trixie. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m glad to see you,” Peter declared, alternating his gaze about. “I feel like everyone’s out to get me. I’ve been getting stink eyes all day. What’s going on? They run out of tacos on Taco Tuesday or something?”

Scoffing harshly, Trixie flung her notes to the side before abruptly turning to face Peter. “Your timing, as usual, is impeccable.” She faced the two girls singing behind her position and motioned a hand, prompting them to cease immediately. “What do you want? Can you not see that we are busy? My band is going to crush and dominate the competition. The last thing I need are distractions.”

Peter reached down and retrieved the notes the girl dropped before scrolling through the walls of text. A bemused expression formed on his face. “Tricks Up My Sleeve? Now, you’re just asking for it. You sure you aren’t being sponsored by the rabbit? Put an ‘x’ in there, and he’ll sue.”

Rubbing her fingers against her temples, Trixie exhaled. “I don’t have time for this. You are nothing but a nuisance right now. I almost wish I never met you.”

Taken aback, Peter winced at the comment. His eyes softened. “Ouch. Even for you, that was kind of low. Did I do something wrong?”

Trixie inhaled sharply before shaking her head. She walked towards a lever, shrugging before pulling it back. “We’ll talk later. Probably. Just stay out of my way until the competition is over. Please.”

That same moment, a small alarm blared in Peter’s cranium before the floor beneath his feet opened. The world slowed from his perspective, giving the young man ample time to escape the situation, but he ignored the response, standing with a bewildered expression at the absurdity of the moment. Time returned to normal as gravity prevailed, leaving Peter to yelp as he crashed to the waiting earth below. He lay prone, stretched out on his back, but his expression remained blank as Trixie seemingly nodded her approval before closing the door shut.

“Not gonna lie. I don’t know which is worse: the fact she actually hurt my feelings or that she just Wile. E. Coyote’d me,” Peter whispered, letting out a defeated sigh. He glanced around his surroundings, nodding upon spotting a ventilation shaft high above his position. “Why is there a trap door here in the first place? It doesn’t make any sense. That’s such a safety hazard. I just hope Trixie doesn’t pull that move twice. Someone can get hurt,” he groaned before dumping a nearby mattress in place where he had previously fallen. Climbing the wall, Peter entered the vent before leaping behind the stage where nobody stood. Brushing the dust from his clothing, the young man shook his head. “I’m out of here. Today has sucked more than usual.”

As he ventured off, green sparkling energies escaped from his frame before they rushed into the sirens nearby. Adagio’s smile widened while Sonata mirrored her actions, both releasing relieved sighs. Aria shuddered as the energies seeped into her body, scoffing afterwards.

“He’s making this too easy! I’ve never felt so full!” Adagio confidently stated, raising her fists.

Sonata nodded, patting her stomach with a hand. “It’s not a taco, but that’s really tasty.” She paused, tilting her head to the side upon catching sight of the scowl Aria bore. “What’s wrong? Don’t you like it?”

Aria shook her head. “I told you that guy’s negative emotions are too rich. I feel like I just ate an entire cake all by myself. Twice. Ugh! I hate junk food.” The girl glanced to the side, pursing her lips. “I don’t know, Adagio. It doesn’t feel right. What happened to that guy to make him feel this bad?”

Shrugging, Adagio chuckled. “Who cares? He’s an open buffet for us! He’s food and is affected by our magic. Don’t overthink it. ”

“Yeah! Don’t look a gift mouth in the horse,” Sonata declared, pausing upon feeling the bemused glares of her sisters fall onto her. “Or something like that.”

Aria frowned as her usually bleak demeanor faltered, evident by the softened gaze in her eyes. “It’s beyond our influence. There’s something deeper, and I don’t like it. He’s a teenager, but I almost feel a lifetime of anguish from him. We’re just adding to it.”

Sonata blinked, alternating her gaze between her sisters. “Maybe Aria’s right? Do you think we should just focus on everyone else and leave the spider guy alone?”

Adagio exhaled before throwing her hands into the air. “Oh, stop it! You always do this, Aria! He’s our meal ticket until our powers fully return. Until then, stop thinking about it so much! We’re this close to taking over! Why hesitate now? Why do you care? Because you shouldn’t.”

Shaking her head, Aria frowned before folding her arms. “Fine. You’re right. Whatever. It was just a thought. So, what now?”

Adagio rolled her eyes. “When I need you to think, you refuse, but when you don’t have to, you think way too much. I swear, you never make any sense.”

Just as Aria opened her mouth and readied to respond, she glanced to the side as a group of girls approached. At the center, Twilight paused with a concerned expression. “I know who you three are,” she softly stated, causing the sirens to each arch a brow. Raising her hands defensively, Twilight let out a low sigh before nodding. “We need to talk. Alone.”

To Be Continued…