• Published 17th Dec 2021
  • 5,618 Views, 221 Comments

Ultimate Spiders and Magic: Episode II "Rainbow Rocks" - Maximus_Reborn



Life in Canterlot High continues to be challenging for new student, Peter Parker, and rookie superhero, Spider-Man. It seems to only grow worse for both as the Battle of the Bands nears, and three mysterious new girls show an interest in his misery.

  • ...
13
 221
 5,618

Prologue: Music Makes the World Go Crazy

Prologue “Music Makes the World Go Crazy”

Trixie brought a hand over her eyes, groaning outwardly. “No. This time, could you at least try to put some effort into it?”

Rolling his eyes, Peter shrugged before tapping a finger into the microphone and clearing his throat. “Hello, New York~! Your pants are down~!” he sang, his voice cracking underneath a piercing tone. Snips and Snails covered their ears while others stared in his direction with looks of disgust, anguish, and humor. Trixie quickly snatched the microphone away, frowning as Peter obliviously nodded proudly. “What do you think? I give that an eight on the Richter scale.”

Slow to respond, Trixie cleared her throat and raised a finger. “How should I put this without breaking your little heart? Um… Your voice resembles a dying cat being slowly run over by a steamroller. With spikes. Twice.”

“That’s… kind of dark,” Peter blankly responded, tilting his head to the side.

Throwing her hands into the air, Trixie held a widened glare. “It’s where your singing has brought me! Your voice drags me to the dark depths of an endless abyss! You are by far the absolute worst singer I have ever heard!”

Exhaling, Peter shook his head and glanced to the side. “Come on! I can’t be that bad! Right?” He glanced around at everyone around him, blinking once nobody offered a rebuttal. Some even removed headphones, staring at the young man with looks of bemusement. Peter could only lower his head shamefully. “Okay. So, maybe it is that bad, but it’s not my fault I was transferred to Glee, the School Musical. I told you, I don’t sing. I don’t even play the harmonica.”

Trixie shared a glance with a pair of girls before nodding in a defeated manner. “I thought I could at the very least use you as an extra, but it would appear that I have sadly overestimated you. Everyone in this school can practically sing with some form of decency. Of course it’s the one bumpkin that I take under my wing that can’t. Even these two oafs have at least some form of rhythm.”

“Ha!” Snips and Snails exclaimed, giving each other a high five before standing proudly.

Trixie sharply turned with a glare, pointing at the pair. “Trixie didn’t tell you two to stop. Keep dancing, you monkeys!” Once Snips and Snails began tapping their feet in place and stumbled into a heap, Trixie rolled her eyes before releasing an exasperated sigh. “Good help is so hard to find these days.” Waving her hand dismissively, she closed her eyes and sighed upon facing Peter’s direction once more. “I’m not mad. Trixie is just… disappointed. I expected a little more from you, Parker, but I suppose some people are just terrible at things.”

“Like you and physics?” Peter muttered under his breath.

Trixie waved off the remark. “Don’t focus on me. We’re here about your shortcomings. Carry on, bumpkins. Should I need you, I’ll call you.”

“I don’t have your number,” Peter muttered, unable to react as Trixie handed him a tiny slip of paper.

“You do now, and don’t worry. I already have yours,” Trixie nonchalantly declared, nodding.

Slack-jawed, Peter just stared at the girl. “Huh? But how?! Since when did that happen?”

Trixie shook her head, laughing pompously. “A magician never reveals her secrets.”

Snips raised a finger. “Coach Spitfire gave it to her.”

Trixie’s brow twitched madly. “Silence, cretin!”

“Coach Spitfire, huh?” Peter furrowed his brow upon accepting the item, blinking at the sight of a number and the word ‘Greatestest’ written above it. Peter simply groaned, crushing the paper in a fist before thrusting it into his pocket. He watched as Trixie went on about her business, consulting with her band members while also scolding Snips. “I swear that she’s just trolling me at this point. The first time in my life that a cute girl gave me her number, and I honestly don’t know how to feel about it. If this isn’t Parker Luck, I don’t know what is.”

“There you are, Parker,” a warm voice called from behind, freeing the young man from his self-induced trance. Spitfire rolled up to him on her wheelchair, arching a brow as she analyzed her surroundings before settling her gaze on Peter. “Are you joining the Musical Showcase? You don’t strike me as the singing type.”

Peter snorted, grinning. “You clearly just missed my audition. I was just leaving. Your timing couldn’t be any better.” The pair shared a nod before departing, sharing pleasantries as they went. Once they passed through the school’s front doors, Peter smiled at the woman. “You ready to meet Doctor Octavious? I told him all about your situation, and he’s eager to help.”

Spitfire’s brow lowered as she frowned lightly. “I’ve only seen the guy a couple of times during school meetings. Nothing enough to gain an impression, but if you trust him, I’ll give it a try. Just the idea of going into rehab is scary.”

“Oh, he’s a really brilliant mind. His work in prosthetics is amazing and second to none. If there’s anyone that can help you, it’s Doctor Octavious,” Peter confidently responded, shifting his gaze skyward. “Sometimes, the first step is the hardest. In your case, it’s as much figurative as it will be literal. You’re trying now. That’s all that matters. I’ll give you support in any way you need, Coach.”

Smiling, Spitfire nodded. “I appreciate that, Pete,” she paused before smirking, “After what we’ve been through, we’re friends. So, when it’s just the two of us or after school hours, just stick with Spitfire.”

Peter snorted. “It’s funny that the first real friend I make here is you, and you’re not even a classmate. How old are you again? Nineteen?”

“Twenty. You’re a little on the young side for me, and I’m not into dating anytime soon. We’ll see what happens when you graduate,” Spitfire bluntly stated before her eyes widened at a realization. “Wait. I’m your first friend? What about Sunset Shimmer?”

Slow to respond, Peter shrugged. “She seems nice, but we haven’t hung out long enough to know anything outside of our names.”

Spitfire scoffed. “That’ll change, but you have to let it. Just try not to pay any attention to rumors about her.”

“Rumors?” Peter questioned, tilting his head to the side.

Spitfire narrowed her gaze. “When you hear, you’ll know.”

“As cryptic as ever,” Peter grumbled, glancing to the side, “Sure. That isn’t getting old at all.”

Clearing her throat, the woman arched a brow. “It’s no different from what you’re going through. Ever since Diamond Tiara started that podcast with her uncle, ol’ Webhead’s name quickly became mud.``

“When you put it that way, it makes a little more sense,” Peter retorted, shrugging.

Spitfire nodded. “Anyway. What about you and Trixie? Word on the street is that she’s taken you under her wing. Heck, she’s quick to remind anyone who will listen about it.”

Exasperated, Peter snorted. “Friend? I mean, sure, we hang out a lot, but she’s always bossing me around. It’s hard to say she’s friendly.” Pausing, the young man shot the woman a glare. “You gave her my number.”

The corner of Spitfire’s lips curled into a smirk. “She kept asking, okay? That girl doesn’t know when to shut up sometimes.” Straightening her demeanor, the woman huffed lightly. “I’ve seen the way Trixie treats people she doesn’t like. Trust me, from what I see and hear, she has a soft spot for you. She gave you her number?”

“Yeah, but--” Peter responded, trailing off.

Spitfire raised a hand and waved a finger. “I think I’ve made my point.”

“That doesn’t make sense,” Peter groaned, holding a bemused glare.

Nothing that girl does makes sense. Trust me, you’ll learn,” Spitfire chuckled, snorting once the young man threw up his hands in a defeated manner.

Just as Peter readied to respond, a young girl approached the pair. Brushing a hand through her bright blonde and crimson hair, she waved politely. “Hi, Peter! Hi, Coach Spitfire!”

Peter’s eyes widened as he dumbly raised a hand, chuckling sheepishly. “Oh! Uh… hi, Sunset!”

Spitfire lowered her shades over her eyes, grinning under her breath as she quietly strolled away. “Carry on. I’ll see you at the lab, Parker.”

Once the woman was out of hearing range, Peter eventually shook his head free of the building cobwebs and faced the girl. “What’s up, Sunset?”

Sunset smiled, placing a hand over her forearm before brushing it nervously. “N-Nothing. I was just checking on you. I noticed you weren’t at lunch today.”

His eyes widened at the comment. “Oh, shoot! I forgot about that! Something came up with Doctor Octavious. I recently just signed up for an after school job with him, and we were discussing today’s assignment. I didn’t mean to blow you off.”

“It’s okay. Maybe we can try again tomorrow?” Sunset reaffirmed, holding her smile.

Peter let out a relieved sigh before nodding. “That’d be great. Thanks!”

Glancing to the side, Sunset grinned. “Before then, how about I introduce you to my friends?” Faster than Peter could react, a group of five girls steadily approached the pair. Each held a welcoming smile, but that did nothing to quell Peter’s uncertainty, evident by his shifty gaze. Sunset cleared her throat. “I’m still trying to work on being friendly, but these girls have been helping me with that. Maybe you guys can--?”

“I’m Rainbow Dash!” the blue girl exclaimed, stepping between Sunset and Peter while pointing a thumb at her chest. Blinking, she edged up to the young man and frowned once she peered up at him slightly. “The way Sunset described you, I’d thought you'd be taller.”

A girl with curled violet hair stepped forth, her skin matching that of bright white snow. “Rainbow dear, please. You’re embarrassing him.” She cleared her throat and laughed. “I’m Rarity. It’s a pleasure.”

“I’m Applejack! You must be new around these parts,” a blonde girl stated, tipping the hat on her head downward in a welcoming gesture. She stepped to the side and held out a hand, revealing a meek pink-haired girl who froze in place while offering a weak wave. Applejack huffed. “This here’s Fluttershy. Don’t mind her. It takes her some time to warm up to new folks.”

Peter awkwardly shifted his gaze about, gripping the handle of his backpack soundly. “I know the feeling,” he muttered, blinking. His mind ran rampant, as if containing a storm. “Geez. Is everyone so forward here, or am I just out of the loop? It’s not like I was any good at making friends at my old school. All I had was Harry and Eddie back home.” Peter lifted his gaze, as if breaking himself from his self-induced trance, and glanced to the side before yelping at the overabundant sight of pink mere inches away. Slack-jawed, he could only yelp in response. “What?!”

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie!” the girl greeted obliviously, bouncing in place.

Stammering, Peter glanced at each girl with a blank gaze. “So, are those your real names, or are we using made up names? Where I’m from, your names are a little literal and on-the-nose.” Each girl arched a brow at his question, causing Peter to scratch the back of his head sheepishly. “Sorry! I didn’t mean anything by that! I have a terrible habit of saying what’s on my mind when I get nervous. It always leads to awkward moments, and I just walked into another wall.”

An awkward silence filled the air as everyone just stared at the young man. However, as if the fates were granting him mercy for once in his life, police sirens began to ring throughout the vicinity. The girls turned their attention to the side once a pair of law enforcement vehicles sped past the school, but once they returned their line of sight to where Peter previously stood, they couldn’t locate the young man. Looking around aimlessly for what seemed like minutes, no one could spot his location.

Rainbow Dash folded her arms and huffed. “What’s with that guy? Was he making fun of our names?”

“He seems rather aloof. Are you sure you want to engage with someone like that, Sunset? If he’s in someone’s company like Trixie’s, I suggest that you approach with caution,” Rarity replied, narrowing her gaze.

Sunset waved her hand dismissively. “Don’t forget that he’s new here. We did kind of just rush him. I don’t think he was ready at all for us. I say we give him some time.”

Fluttershy cleared her throat before raising a hand. “Um... does he know what happened with you last semester?”

“N-No. At least, I don’t think so,” Sunset stammered, frowning before lifting her gaze. “If it’s okay with you guys, could you not say anything to him about that? It’s a little refreshing, not being reminded of that.”

“If he doesn’t know about it yet, it’s only a matter of time before word slips through the grapevine,” Applejack calmly stated, placing a hand over Sunset’s shoulder. “Ah promise we won’t say anything, but it’s better if he found out from you before anyone else.”

Sunset was slow to respond before she eventually nodded. “I’ll tell him. Soon.”

Applejack winked at the girl and smiled. “Ah see what you meant. The fella is kinda cute.”

Scoffing, Rainbow Dash folded her arms and shook her head. “Sure. If dorks are your thing.”

Rarity shrugged. “Anyway, let’s get back to business. How about we start practicing for the Musical Showcase while we still have some time?”

Rainbow Dash eagerly nodded, pulling out a few papers from her pockets. “Yeah! I’ve got some lyrics ready! Let’s get started!”

Pinkie cheered, jumping in place. “Yay! This will be fun!”

As the girls continued to converse and plan their next motion, Sunset glanced to the side, sighing. “I wonder where he went? I hope I didn’t overdo it.”

Elsewhere, Peter managed to change into his Spider-Man attire before taking to the skies, swinging through the city on threads of webbing. “Smooth one, Parker. You handled that about as well as everything else in your life: terribly. If I never hear another song in my life, it’ll be too soon.”


Elsewhere, within the confines of a local cafe, everyone seemingly conversed and ate in peace. A faint melody echoed throughout the restaurant before it dissipated, fading from existence. Soon, a young couple glared at each other, bursting into an argument, while others around their position did the same. Even the manager rose from the back, yelling at the employees in the kitchen.

“You never listen to a word I have to say!” a girl exclaimed, pointing sharply at the boy sitting across from her. “I wanted chinese, but you wanted tacos! How can you eat that garbage?!”

Taken aback, the boy slammed a hand against the table. “Seriously?! Chinese is nothing but rice and no substance!” he paused, rolling his eyes to the side, “Sort of like you.”

Meanwhile, the manager held a look of disgust, and he scowled, pointing at a dish. “What are you cooking out here? The steak is overcooked! Is this your idea of rare? Any more, and the cow would dance in the sun!”

The chef waved his spatula at the manager angrily. “How about you actually cook for yourself for a change?!”

As each argument escalated, a trio of girls sat in the corner of the cafe with their gazes centered on the building animosity. Each pulled back their hoods, allowing their hair to flow freely. a sparkling green aura escaped from the arguing pairs before flowing towards the three girls, seeping into their bodies. However, each exhaled in an exasperated tone once the mist had been fully absorbed. The arguments around them had also ceased, with everyone slumping with exhaustion.

One of the girls shook her head, brushing a hand through her poofy orange hair. “That’s hardly enough. It wasn’t even an appetizer,” Narrowing her rose-tinted irises, she scoffed, “This was way easier back in Equestria. Everyone’s too bloody nice here. At this rate, we’re not going to last. Our magic’s going to wither and dry away.”

Sitting across from her position, a second pink-skinned girl groaned. “What’d you expect, Adagio? This crummy town is overly positive. We can hardly draw any negative energy from the inhabitants here.”

A blue-skinned girl next to her perked up, shifting her rose gaze skyward. “I don’t know. I actually kind of like it here.”

She rolled her violet eyes before allowing her chin to rest in the palm of her hand. “It’s bad for us, you moron. Unless you like, you know, starving.” Her violet and neon pigtails fell to the side and drooped, as if mirroring her bleak demeanor. “God, I’m hungry.”

“Me, too! I can go for some tacos right now,” the cheerful girl obviously stated.

Adagio rubbed her fingers against her temples and exhaled. “Aria! Sonata! Shut up! You two always have something stupid to say! How about you actually help try to figure out a way to fix this mess?!”

Aria rolled her eyes, bemused. “You’re the one with the plans, and every time, they end in failure. It’s your fault we were banished here in the first place by that stupid bearded pony and stuck in our current situation.” Apathetic, the girl snorted before straightening her posture momentarily. “Let’s take over the world, she says. No one can stop us, she says. I’m the oldest, so I’m the smartest, she says. Ugh! Give me a break.”

Adagio’s eye twitched at the comment as she gritted her teeth and lifted her trembling hands, resisting the urge to strangle her sibling. “Why, you little--!”

Oblivious, Sonata hummed. “How long has it been again? Feels like ages.”

“A month,” Aria groaned, waving a hand dismissively. “Maybe two or three? I don’t remember. Or care.”

“It could be worse. At least we still have our amulets,” Sonata responded, shrugging haplessly before poking at the crimson jewel laced around her neck.

Inhaling deeply before sighing, Adagio gave an affirming nod. “Yeah. You’re right. Plus, there was that explosion that happened at Canterlot High recently. I know the scent of Equestrian magic anywhere. We need to go and investigate that school soon.”

Sonata clapped her hands together. “I hope they have good food!”

Slow to respond, Aria just stared at the girl. “You’re an idiot.” Pausing, she returned her gaze to Adagio. “I don’t know if you noticed, but there’s been a swelling of negative energy lately. It’s small, but it’s noticeable. I wonder what’s gotten into the people over the weekend?”

Arching a brow, Sonata glanced to the side and pointed. “Maybe it has something to do with that guy?”

Both Adagio and Aria arched a brow at her comment before following the direction in which she pointed. Just outside, a car raced past the cafe with a man perched onto its hood. He reached into the driver’s seat, yanking him out with a toss before latching him to the nearest pole with a ball of webbing. Gripping the hood, the man flipped overhead and landed on his feet with the vehicle on his shoulders. Exhaling, he managed to gently place the car back to the ground.

“Come on, guys! The speed limit clearly says twenty-five, not eighty!” Spider-Man retorted, snatching the door from its hinges and holding it overhead. A pair of masked men stumbled out of the backseat, prompting Spider-Man to use his free hand to fire balls of webbing onto their backs respectively. The impact from both sent the men flying into the nearest walls, expanding to cocoon form. Placing the door down, Spider-Man brushed his hands free of dust. “Just stick around, boys. The cops will be here shortly.”

Spectators began to surround Spider-Man, many holding out their phones. However, many booed his presence. “Get out of here, you menace! Go back to your own city!”

“Yeah! Jameson’s right! We don’t need you blowing up our schools!” a second exclaimed.

Adagio, Aria, and Sonata watched from within the cafe, inhaling sharply as traces of sparkling green energy escaped from the mob and seeped into their bodies. They stood from their seat and made their way outside, watching as the crowd continued to heckle Spider-Man. Some even threw debris at the masked man, increasing the volume of their boos considerably until they echoed throughout the vicinity.

Grumbling inwardly, Spider-Man leapt into the air and swung into the distance. “I guess the honeymoon’s over. It was fun while it lasted, I guess.”

As the crowd continued to converse, with many posting their recordings, a wide collective smile formed on the trio’s faces with Adagio placing a hand on her hip. “Girls! I think we just found our meal ticket!”

To Be Continued...