• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 8,425 Views, 235 Comments

My Roommate Is Onto Me - AGhost



This story tells the tale of Ã�¢ï¿½ï¿½My Roomate Is A VampireÃ�¢ïÂ

  • ...
21
 235
 8,425

Thirst

Thirsty. Gah. I was so thirsty. All I could think of was how amazing Octy had tasted the previous night.

Her cut, I mean! I was talking about her blood. How her blood tasted when the... Come on, man.

It was driving me crazy. Probably cause I hadn’t tasted any in a little more than a month, mostly due to my own laziness. I had a mini fridge I kept hidden in my closet where I’d store blood bags for when I’d next need them. I’d usually pick up a few at a time and keep them there, but when they ran out…

Aahhh I’ll pick up a few on Monday!

Oh, now it’s Monday. Well, tomorrow I’ll have to-

It’s Tuesday. Yeah, it’s Tuesday, but this chair is so comfy and this special on how cotton candy is made just won’t watch itself!

It’s Friday and I’m so thirsty so thirsty so thirsty noooooo this sucks.

Usually I could put up with it for a few more days, but tasting that blood from yesterday intensified my thirst to the point where it was all I could think of. Blood from a pony, no less. The good stuff. It was like eating Spam my whole life and then trying a little taste of filet mignon!

… Well, I mean, Spam isn’t actually that bad. It was like… it… it was… Aaah! I’m so focused on it, I can’t think of analogies!

I was easy to distract; just needed something to keep my mind busy. I immersed myself in writing music, as that was what I usually did when I needed to chill. I could let my mind sink into the notes and just relax.

Nothing else existed. Just me and my music.

“Vinyl?”

I glanced up at Octy, who was sitting across from me, as she set down a newspaper she’d been reading. She didn’t continue to speak, but instead just stared at me. I could feel my glasses starting to slide down my face and pushed them up with a hoof.

Sorry, Octy. Not this time.

It was super rare that I’d show my eyes to anypony. This was mostly due to how sensitive they were to light, but it was partially cause they were a touchy subject for me. With my electric blue mane and white fur, my eyes stuck out like a sore thumb.

Besides myself, only a few ponies had seen my eyes; my mom, my dad… and another pony that I didn’t feel like thinking about.

I was about to answer Tavi, but then realized I still had my pencil in my mouth. Spitting it out, I responded.

“Yeah, Octy?”

She seemed to think for a few seconds, carefully choosing her words. Knowing her, it’d be something filled with lots of big words and deep meaning.

“Uh…”

It was extremely rare to see Octy speechless. She was a pony that when she had something on her mind, she spoke with such dignified grace that it seemed that she’d practiced everything she was about to say in front of a mirror twenty times before speaking. Yet here she was, totally unsure of herself. It instantly peaked my interest.

“What?” I pressed further, pushing up my glasses a second time with a hoof. “C’mon.”

She thought for a few more seconds, then waved a hoof in the air dismissively.

“Never mind,” she said trying to shrug it off.

Ooooh no. Not getting away that easily.

I leaned forward on the cushion I was sitting on and tried to get her talking again.

“Tell me.”

She shook her head vigorously.

“No, it’s alright, really. I was going to-“

“-ask me something. And now you’re going to tell me,” I finished for her. I’d never seen her so nervous before. Not even before a big… cello game… or meet or… whatever orchestra ponies called them.

What could have her so spooked?

She took a deep breath in and held it for a moment before blurting out her question all at once.

“Doyoubelieveinvampires?” She flinched slightly and then froze in place, staring at me with wide eyes. I stared back at her.

Heh. If you only knew.

I smiled slightly.

“I do.”

She stared back.

“Really?” she asked again. As if I’d change my answer.

Well, I’m trying to believe in vampires, but just because I drink blood and have super strength and am sensitive to light and am a vampire doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m a vampire!

“Yeah. Why do you ask?”

“No reason,” she responded nonchalantly, going back to her newspaper.

Crap. I must’ve done something. She must be onto me.

Well, you did suck her blood yesterday, genius! What did you think was gonna happen? That’d she’d just forget about that?

Ugh! Dammit! I was so stupid! Now she’s gonna…

My eyes wandered to the large, hard cover book that sat on the living room table behind her: “The History Of Vampires.” I arched an eyebrow and smiled back at her.

“Ohhh, I get it. You’ve been reading that book, haven’t you?” Her cheeks turned a rosy red.

“It has nothing to do with that!”

It must be that book. That’s why she asked about vampires. Silly Vinyl, jumping to conclusions.

I chuckled to myself and looked back down at my sheet music.

“Honestly, Octy, you can’t get scared of everything you read about in books,” I muttered loud enough for her to hear. “What’s next? You scared the boogey-mare is gonna come out from under your bed and eat you?”

“Sh-shut up,” she said pulling up the newspaper so I could no longer see her face. Probably so I couldn’t see her blush harder. “I was just curious, is all.”

Adorable as always. Ah well. Back to music. Now, should this part go “wub wub bass wub wub?” Or “bass bass wub bass wub?” So many choices…
_________________________________________________________________________

Octy and I sat waiting for the curtain to rise in the concert hall. I shifted back and forth slightly in my seat and smiled at how it made little squeaky noises when I moved just right. They were red, sort of plush chairs and I continued to bounce lightly as I glanced around, looking at the sea of ponies surrounding us. All wore fancy necklaces, earrings, bowties, and all the other junk high-class ponies would dress up in for a night out in Canterlot. A mare with blue fur sat at my 10 o’clock wearing a beautiful, light yellow dress. Couldn't deny that she looked quite nice in it. The best way to get over Octy was to go out and date some other mares. I contemplated going over to talk to her.

It’s easy, Vinyl! Just wait for intermission, wander over to her seat and- that’s her very special somepony putting his arm around her, isn’t it? Ah well. So much for that.

I doubted an orchestra hall was the best place to pick up mares anyways. Probably had sophisticated tastes that I couldn’t fulfill. Plus, they had an “image to keep up” or whatever.

I smiled as I thought of the last time Octy and I had talked about dresses.

Oh, I’d love to see you in a dress at least once, Vinyl. You’d look so pretty, I know it!

Pfft. Sure, Octy. That’ll be the day. Haven’t worn a dress since I was a little filly and I’m not gonna start now.

Speaking of which, I glanced over at Octy to see her looking totally relaxed, her eyes soaking in the stage.

Must be cool to have a day off and get to watch the music happen yourself. It’s like when I go to raves to hear other DJs perform. … Though I doubt she jumps on stage to crash it half way through like I’m known to do.

Couldn’t remember how exactly she’d convinced me to come out with her that night, but that didn’t matter. She was there and I was right next to her and nothing else mattered. I smiled gently.

Just then, the lights began to dim and the chatter of the crowd began to fade. I looked forward to see the curtain rise and reveal an orchestra of ponies, each holding different instruments and wearing matching yellow bowties.

Crap. Now I actually have to listen to the music.

Classical music didn’t really bother me. It was totally tolerable and I could see why Octy loved it. The problem was that it was just so boring, I couldn’t listen to it for more than a few minutes before it’d put me to sleep.

Come on, Vinyl. Try to stay awake for at least a minute of it. Just keep… thinking about how… you need to stay…
_________________________________________________________________________

I awoke with a snort as my head lifted from the back of the chair I’d been resting it on. The ponies onstage played sappy music as I sleepily leaned down and rummaged through my saddlebag on the ground. Didn’t wanna use my magic as my horn might light up the place. Didn’t want to distract everypony. I pulled out the bag of popcorn I had bought from a street vendor that morning.

Eh. Only eight hours old. Still good.

I munched happily on it, taking in the salty, buttery goodness.

You know what this needs? Some soda.

I wiped my buttery hooves on the chair and reached into my bag to pull out the bottle. When I brought my head back up and took a swig, I noticed the looks I was getting from ponies sitting nearby. It seemed that everypony had turned to angrily stare in my direction. Even the mare in the yellow dress had her head turned back at me, her eyes narrowed in disapproval. I noticed that I hadn’t heard any music for awhile and glanced at the stage to see the entire Canterlot Symphony scowling at me.

Aw crud.

I slowly turned to my right to see Octy glaring daggers at me.

“… You want some?” I offered, pushing the bag in her direction.

Then a French horn hit me in the side of the head.
_________________________________________________________________________

“You aren’t mad at me, are you?” I asked as I walked hurriedly behind her. Octy wasn’t usually a very fast pony, but she was trotting forward at quite a brisk pace. It was dark out and the Fall air filled my lungs as I struggled to keep up with her.

Ah! Cramp, cramp!

Probably shouldn’t have eaten that popcorn. For multiple reasons.

She couldn’t be that mad at me. It wasn’t a huge deal! I mean, sooooo we got pelted with instruments by the musicians. And got run out of the concert hall by security ponies. And I hit on the blue mare in the pretty dress as we were getting kicked out and she smacked me across the face- okay, when it’s all stacked up like that, it seems like I really messed up.

She didn’t respond. Just kept moving forward at that same pace.

“Octy? You okay? Hey, Octy- gack!”

I felt her hooves wrap around my windpipe as she whipped around to face me. She wore a crazed smile.

“I am going to find a way to legally murder you!” she giggled as one of her eyes twitched. Geez, she had quite the grip. I could easily overpower her, of course, but I didn’t wanna risk hurting her. Instead, I gasped for air and tried to formulate words.

“Killing- me won’t solve- anything!” I managed to get out.

"And then after I legally murder you, I'm going to do so many not-very-nice things to your corpse that there won't be any evidence left!" she laughed evilly, shaking me around.

Aaahh, you can do as many not-very-nice things to me as you want, bab- ugh, starting to get dizzy…

"Octy, I'm- sorry!"

Okay, starting to lose my vision here!

"No, you aren't,” she continued as she swung me back and forth. “You aren't sorry, because if you were sorry, you wouldn't have brought popcorn and drinks, and snored when they started playing!" Finally, she let me go. I fell to my knees and clutched my throat with a hoof, using the other to prop me up. I stared at the ground, desperately trying to get my breath back.

Well, if I ever need backup, I know who to call.

"I need... a drink,” she said with a sigh, turning back around and continuing to walk down the street, this time at a much slower pace than before. I got to my hooves and followed her, a sad frown tugging at my lips.

Did I really upset her this badly?

We continued like that for awhile, me following behind her as we walked. I couldn’t stand her being mad at me. It was one of the worst feelings ever. It sucked hardcore. It killed me. Time to pull out the big guns.

“Octavia?”

I’d never called Octy by her full name before. I needed to let her know that I really was sorry and was also a dumb, stupid pony and that I shouldn’t be forgiven, but she should forgive me anyways.

She continued to walk, not even glancing back at me.

“No, no, I'm not going to look at you right now."

Ouch.

"Octavia, please..."

"No, I'm being mad at you right now. See how I'm not looking at you? That means I'm mad."

"I'm really, really sorry."

"Well, here we are anyways."

She harrumphed and turned away from me with her nose in the air, climbing the few steps to a door and pushing it open for me. I lowered my gaze disappointedly and went through the door like a dog with its tail between its legs. I’d been so distracted by Octy being mad at me that I hadn’t even noticed where we were walking to.

I looked up to find we were in our favorite bar in Canterlot, the same peeling wallpaper covering the walls that I remembered from our last visit. A wide smile began to creep over my face.

I was excited to be back. It was my kinda joint; not too big, nothing fancy. Just a place where you could get a drink and hide away from the rest of the world. Octy sat daintily on a stool at the bar as the bartender smiled brightly at us.

"I'll have some sparkling water, and for my friend...?"

"A Bloody Mary!" I said grinning and hopping onto the bar stool next to her. "Extra blood!"

The bartender chuckled and began preparing our drinks. That popcorn had made me super thirsty and I hadn’t had much of my soda before we got kicked out. He set our drinks in front of us and I gulped it down, sighing with relief after I’d taken my final swig. That definitely hit the spot.

I heard a clink as Octy set down her glass, now empty.

Heh. Bet she’s happy now.

“Feel better?” I asked, smiling at her. She over, giggled, and pointed at me, further instilling the fact that I could cheer up anypony with my charm and awesomeness.

Still got it, Scratch. Still got it.
_________________________________________________________________________

We walked side by side through the night as we started to make our way home. It turned out to be a great night after all, us having sat in that bar for a good hour or so reminiscing about awesome memories we’d made together.

Lucky for Octy, there wasn’t much wind that night so there wasn’t any need to walk close together to keep warm.

Unlucky for me, there wasn’t much wind that night so there wasn't any need to walk close together to keep warm.

“Looks like a full moon tonight,” she commented gazing up at the sky. I glanced up as well. It was bright, but didn’t hurt like sunlight did. This was a calmer light, one that I could look at without fearing for my health. It hung in the sky, huge and gray; so big that it looked like it owned everything up there. Almost as if it was saying, “Don’t worry, Sun. I got this. You go get some rest until morning.”

It was sorta like Tavi was the sun and I was the moon, when I thought about it. She was bright and warm while as I was a little darker and cooler. Early riser and night owl. Opposites working together to power the sky. I smiled at the thought of her and I being two sides of the same coin.

Wow. Lot of analogies.

Oh wow. I know what an analogy is. I must be hanging out with Octy too much.

My stomach growled softly, pulling my mind from the moon.

Startin’ to get a little hungry. Wonder what’s at home in the fridge that I could-

The empty mini fridge in my closet suddenly popped into my mind.

Oh, that’s why I’d agreed to go with her to the symphony! I had to go to Canterlot anyway to pick up some long overdue blood bags. Idiot, you almost forgot!

I had to find a way to ditch Tavi. I felt horrible doing it, but it was a clear night. She wouldn’t be in any danger. Hell, she’d be in more danger sticking around me. I did really wanna walk her home, but this couldn’t wait.

"You go on ahead. I gotta run an errand," I said slowly my pace. She stopped and looked back at me, cocking her head to the side.

"At one in the morning?" she asked.

"Just a quick stop."

"Then I'll come with you—"

"No!"

She flinched back slightly looking a bit startled.

Easy, Vinyl. Don’t bite her frickin’ head off.

I sighed and continued. "I mean, this is something I have to do by myself."

She paused for a moment as I contemplated just bolting off in a different direction. She’d never be able to catch me, but I might get her lost if I ran into the woods. Plus, that’d just be mean. And suspicious as hell. And stupid. Definitely wasn’t one of my better plans, when you considered all that. Finally, she spoke.

"Alright then, if you insist. See you later," she said, walking away.

Phew. Alright, she’s leaving.

I faked a smile and waved to her as she left, waiting until she turned a corner before I looked both ways and crossed the street. The hospital would only be a ten or twenty minute detour; then I could continue on my way home. My saddle bag flapped at my side as I continued down the sidewalk, my path now illuminated more by the street lights than the moon. It was a path I knew well, as I’d taken it hundreds of times. I passed two or three ponies on the street, earning a few double takes. I’d gotten used to the stares, as DJ Pon3 wasn’t as known in Canterlot as other cities.

Sunglasses at night? What an odd mare.

Keep walkin’, buddy. Nothin’ to see here.

As I was almost at the hospital, I stopped to make sure I wasn’t being followed. I heard a faint squeak as I turned and looked at my surroundings; road, trees, bushes, parked carriages, more road. Unable to find the source of the sound, I continued forward.

Must’ve been a little rabbit or something.

The automatic doors opened for me as I entered through, remembering to squint my eyes before my retinas were flooded by the florescent lights of the waiting room. Canterlot had one of the best hospitals and it showed from how every surface was spotless and seemed to shine as I passed.

“Hey there,” I greeted flashing my signature smile at the mare sitting at the reception desk. “Name’s Vinyl Scratch. I got an appointment in Hematology.” She sighed and looked down at a sheet on a clipboard in front of her.

“Sorry, I don’t see you on the list,” she said apathetically as her eyes scanned down the paper. I reached into my saddlebag, pulled out a 50 bit paper note, and placed it on the clipboard.

“You might wanna check again,” I said coolly, tapping it with a hoof. “The name’s Vinyl Scratch.” She took the bill and slid it into a pocket on her white medical coat.

“Aahh, yes, here it is,” she said with a little more enthusiasm, taking the pen in her mouth and writing my name on the sheet. She dropped the pen back on the table and punched few numbers into the phone in front of her.

Money could get you anywhere as long as you had enough of it. It was a sad truth, but lucky for me, The Inner Circle was plump with donations from loaded, upper crust ponies that suffered from Vampirism or… Ly… Lychanism? Was that a word?

Whatever, you get what I’m sayin’.

Money = Good
_________________________________________________________________________

The next morning, I hummed to myself as I loaded the dishwasher. My horn glowed as it enveloped each plate and set it inside the machine gently. I’d brought home six blood bags from the hospital the previous night and had drank my fill from one of them when I’d gotten home, which is why I was actually grinning while doing chores. I made lines on each bag with a marker, separating it into eight sections. Didn’t really have a set schedule as to when I’d drink each section; just drank when I was thirsty.

Or mixed it into different foods or drinks. I once had a blood laced quesadilla and margarita that was totally to die for!

¡Muy delicioso!

¡Olé!

¡Piñata!

Yes, yes, I (sorta) speak Spanish, ladies. One mare at a time. There’s plenty of Scratch to go around. Line forms over here!

One bag would last me a month, which meant I was good for a half a year. Probably why I was in such a good mood. Wasn’t super pumped to go back to a hospital anytime soon. Didn’t like em’. All those poor, sick ponies made me realize every visit how fragile life really is.

One moment, you’re fine.

The next minute; bam. Cancer. Disease. Death. No matter how strong my muscles were, I could never have the strength to be a nurse.

I could hear the swish of Octy’s robe as she entered the kitchen.

“Mornin’,” I greeted, glancing back at her for a second. I heard her open the fridge.

"Good morning, Vinyl. Did you finish your errand?"

"Huh?”

Errand. What- oh. Oh!

“Oh, yeah."

"So what was it?" she asked, pressing further. I heard the fridge door shut.

Crap. I didn’t think of an alibi, did I? Think fast, Vinyl, think fast.

"Ah, I just had to pick up a few... cables and cords and stuff. For my set. DJing and stuff." I turned around to see that she now stood quite close to me, biting her lip and staring at me. Her eyes were so intense, I was afraid lasers might shoot out of them and burn through me.

Speak, Vinyl, or she might keep staring forever.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy that, mind you.

"Something wrong?" I asked, her purple irises still fixated on the glasses guarding my magenta ones.

"Nothing,” she said shaking her head and turning to walk back to the fridge.

What was that about?

I shrugged it off and closed the dishwasher door. Something caught my eye on the counter next to me and I looked over to see a deck of cards inside a red case.

"Hey, are these mine?" I asked walking over and picking them up in my magic. I rotated the pack around in front of my face, squinting my eyes as I tried to recognize them. "They don't look familiar..."

"Those are mine, actually," Octy piped up. I snorted.

"Yeah, sure, Octy. You play cards." Silence. I turned to face her and saw the unamused look on her face. "... You play cards?"

"I'll have you know that I am quite a champion at Go Fish," she said proudly.

Aahh alright, that's a little more believable. I was trying to imagine her playing Poker in a smokey room filled with burly, tattooed dudes betting on thousands of bits each.

"Hey, why don't we play? It'll be fun," she said smiling at me.

"Eh... I dunno, Octy. I can get... kinda competitive."

"Oh, I'm sure it'll be quite fine, Vinyl," she assured me. "I've played against some pretty competitive ponies before." She began to make her way out of the kitchen, walking towards the living room. "Anyways, I have to... step out for a bit, but you go on ahead and shuffle the deck. When I get back, we'll play a few rounds." She was out of the kitchen now, but stuck her head back into view to get one more sentence in. "I mean, really. How bad could it be?"