• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 8,425 Views, 235 Comments

My Roommate Is Onto Me - AGhost



This story tells the tale of Ã�¢ï¿½ï¿½My Roomate Is A VampireÃ�¢ïÂ

  • ...
21
 235
 8,425

Fright

Sweat dripped down my face as we approached a small cottage outside the forest. I was using a lotta levitation magic and it was taking all I could to keep Octy’s body steady. Luna and her guards had offered to take over floating her for me, but I turned them down each time. This was something I needed to do myself.

Luna gave a mighty knock on the front door.

"Go away! No candy here! No visitors on Nightmare Night!" a soft voice squeaked.

"Fluttershy, it is I, Princess Luna! We need your assistance!"

“Fluttershy?! Why the hell are we at Fluttershy’s place?” I whispered harshly to her, frustrated. “We need to get Octy some help! We-“

“Silence yourself, Vinyl Scratch,” she said turning to me seriously. “We know what we are doing.”

I was gonna say something else, but decided to keep my mouth shut. The princess usually knew what she was doing when it came to stuff like this. Besides, what was I gonna say? Where else could we take her? I didn’t have a clue. If Octy had really been bit by a lycan like Luna said back in the cave, this was gonna get bad. I’d never really had to do cleanup crew for any lycans. They had a different member for that. One that was, ya know... actually a lycan.

Was never friends with any either so I wasn’t super sure what to expect.

The door creaked open and the familiar yellow pegasus poked her head out. Looking at Octy, she gasped at her injuries.

"Oh my… That looks nasty,” she said shocked and opened the door wider so that we could come in. "Lay her on the couch. Prop up her head.” I did as she asked letting out a breath of relief as I could finally relax my muscles. Using magic not only puts a strain on you physically, but mentally, too. Was starting to see double by the end of it. Octy needed my help though, so there was no time for me to be sick. I shook my head to snap me out of it and gently put a hoof to her forehead.

"Octy, stay with me. You're gonna be just fine," I said softly as I comforted her. She looked like she was in total agony as she writhed on the couch. Her forehead was burning up. "She's hot."

I wanted to do something. I had to. I was no good at healing magic, but maybe I could do something just to dull the pain. Lowering my head, I put my horn up to her wound, but Luna pushed me away from her gently.

"We would not advise that. Magic may be helpful for small cuts and scrapes, but it might only serve to worsen the injury if you try."

There really was nothing I could do. I nodded sadly looking back over at Octy. Her eyes were half-lidded as she laid there breathing slowly. Wasn’t sure if she could see me. I growled and stomped my hoof in frustration, feeling totally useless. She was in so much pain and all I could do was sit there and watch.

"If you don't mind me asking,” Fluttershy asked, “shouldn't we take her to the hospi-"

"No!" Luna and I both shouted at once, causing her to squeak in fright. She looked totally freaked out by this. I’d never really spoken to Fluttershy before, but I’d seen her around town. Quiet. Gentle. Shy, of course. Dash had told me about her once. Seemed like she had a fragile heart.

She set down a medical kit near the couch and walked over to Octy with a roll of bandages in her mouth. Luna stood behind the back of the couch and held Octy down so she couldn’t move. I did the same on the opposite side.

"I'm sorry," she apologized as she got to work.

"Please, do your best Fluttershy," Princess Luna said softly.

It was killing me seeing Octy like this, especially knowing that she was gonna become… one of them cause of me. I didn’t look at her injuries; I kept my eyes locked on her face, putting her hoof in mine and letting her squeeze as much as she needed to get through the treatment.

Fluttershy poured something over her leg and Octy clutched the sheets underneath her, hissing in pain. She squeezed my hoof tightly as I grit my teeth.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Fluttershy squeaked.

I looked at her leg to see that water had been poured on it and Fluttershy was now picking up another bottle. I smelled rubbing alcohol.

Hell, that was just water? She’s gonna be in for it now…

When the bottle tipped onto her, Octavia cried out. Screaming and throwing her head back, she struggled to break free, but Luna and I kept her as still as we could. I swear she even howled once.

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! I’m sorry!” Fluttershy continued as she stopped pouring the liquid and bandaged up her leg.

“Switch places with me,” Luna commanded as she moved from behind the couch over to where the medical kit sat. I didn’t exactly like the idea of switching places; I wanted to be as close as possible to Octavia.

“Huh? Why?”

“Her gashes must be stitched up,” Luna said rummaging through Fluttershy’s medical box. “You must hold her steady and we shall-“

“Let me do it,” I said seriously looking up at her. “Let me stitch her up.”

“We know you must be feeling guilty, but-“

“I’ve seen ponies get stitched up on hospital shows, I know I can-“

“No. We must do it.”

I went over and stood next to her.

“I can do this! I know I can!”

She lifted a needle with magic and began to thread it.

“You know nothing of medicinal-“

I tried to grab it from her.

“Please! I have to! If I can just-“

She dropped the needle and grabbed my shoulders, holding me tensely.

You CANNOT fix this,” she said harshly, looking into my wide eyes. “Stop this at once. You wish for her to get better, so let those who know what they are doing take care of her. Do not mistake courage for stupidity, Vinyl Scratch. … Now hold her steady.”

I glared at her. I knew I was being unreasonable, but I was just so pissed that I couldn’t do anything. I'm a stubborn mare. I roughly pushed her away with my hoof, causing her to release her grip on me, and walked around the back of the couch to hold Octy’s hoof, holding her body steady with my other one.

She moaned in pain as Luna stitched her up, her eyes fluttering weakly as she fought to keep awake. The pain must’ve been unbelievable. I felt tears run down my cheek as I held her tight. Once Luna was done stitching her up, she put the needle back in the box and closed it. Octy stared at the ceiling, her eyes looking a little more focused now. It seemed like she was looking at something, but I didn’t wanna look away from her for even a second to find out.

Went through plenty of wash clothes, rubbing alcohol, cotton balls, water, bandages, and stitches, but she was all patched up about an hour after we'd started. Her chest rose and fell slowly as she looked up at me.

"Hey,” I said softly as I smiled at her, stroking her mane.

"Hey," Octy replied, her voice hoarse and rough. It was far from her usual voice, but it was the most beautiful sound in the world. She was speaking. She was alive. She was gonna be alright.

Octy slowly tried to sit up, probably tugging at the stitches in her side. She grimaced.

"Oh, don't do that!" Fluttershy warned. Octy slowly rested back against the couch cushions, pushing air out.

"How do you feel?" Luna asked.

Like a ray of frickin’ sunshine, I’m sure.

"Better," Octy answered, sounding pissed. "Are you going to 'deal with me' now?" Luna gave her a look of surprise.

"Well... no. Did you hear that?"

Octy nodded, her eyes narrowed slightly.

"We are... sorry,” she apologized, seeming pretty ashamed. A little blush began to form on her face. "Our word choice could have been a little better. Though we must say that it was very rude to eavesdrop."

"Really, Octy?" I added raising an eyebrow at her.

"I thought there were no more secrets!" Octy suddenly roared, her voice harsh and wicked. I stared back horrified. Octy had yelled at me before, but never… never ever like that. Hearing her yell like that was like seeing a beautiful flower suddenly transform into a dragon and start ripping people apart in front of me.

Her expression softened.

"I'm... sorry," she said, looking embarrassed about her outburst. "But you promised me, didn't you?"

"It's okay. That wasn't Octy speaking,” I said quietly, turning to look out the window. The full moon in the sky looked bigger than ever now.

"Are you sure you are all right?” I heard Luna ask her. “Any discomfort? Cravings?"

"I'm fine, really,” she snapped back impatiently.

"You were bitten by a creature most foul, Octavia."

"I shouldn't have followed you two," she said sighing and leaning back on the couch. "Of course there would be wolves in there."

I turned back to Luna as we shared a look. Octy didn't know. How were we gonna tell her?

"Yes... a wolf," she said slowly. "Right."

I thought Octy should drink something, so I started walking towards the kitchen to get her a glass of water. Or maybe she’d prefer a dog bowl of water.

"Could you open the window? It's a bit stuffy in here."

"Of course."

If she drinks, maybe she’ll… wait- It’s a full moon tonight!

I turned around to warn them, but Octy had rolled over into a standing position and moonlight was already pouring onto her. She moved towards the window.

"Oh, oh!" Fluttershy chirped.

"Don't!" I yelled, waving my arms in panic.

"I just need some fresh air,” Octy protested walking closer. She tore open the window and her shoulders rose and fell as she breathed in slowly. Slowly, her breaths developed into staggered puffing and her fur seemed to grow longer and scruffier. Her tail wagged back and forth.

"Eep!"

"What?" Octy growled, turning around to face us. My mouth slowly opened in shock. Her teeth were sharp and jagged, poking out of her muzzle. A black, wet nose now sat on her face, resembling a dog’s snout. Her eyes were no longer a light violet, but now yellow and bloodshot. Her mane, usually straight and smooth, was now scruffy and tangled, tufts of fur jutting out every which way.

We all stared at her. Fluttershy looked like she was gonna pass out, gasping and pointing with a shaking hoof. Pale as a sheet.

"Fluttershy, you must promise not to speak of what you are about to see!"

"I-I don't understand!"

"Promise me!"

"I p-p-promise!"

A promise?! We can’t rely on that!

I had to knock her out. We’d figure out what to do with her later. Raising my hoof, I wound it back ready to punch.

"Vinyl, don't you dare!" Octy bellowed. She lunged at me at incredible speed, claws poking out of her paws as she bore her teeth. Snarling, animalistic, deadly. This wasn’t Octy at all. I stopped what I was doing and sat there with my mouth hanging open, staring at her as she got up close to my face. She stopped when she saw my reaction.

"Why are you all looking at me like that?” she asked confused. “Don't look at me like that. Do I have something in my teeth?"

I slowly shook my head.

"Show me."

"Octy..."

"Show me!"

I glanced over at Luna worriedly, wondering if I should. She gave me a nod. I sighed and concentrated on the mirror in the corner and levitated it over. Her ears fell flat against her head as she looked in the mirror, cocking her head to the side. She stared with her mouth agape, her eyes wide with shock. Didn’t speak for about a minute.

"So what, is this some kind of a joke?" she asked still looking at herself, her eye slightly twitching. Her speech sounded sorta different. She must’ve been getting used to her teeth being so sharp.

I slowly opened my mouth, thinking of what I could possibly say, but shut it soon after. There was nothing I could tell her to make this better.

"Am I a werewolf now?" she growled in a low voice.

"Not quite,” Luna answered. “Werewolves only transform in the light of a full moon. While that still applies to you, it would make more sense to call you a... lycan, yes. Unlike a werewolf, you have been gifted with the ability to transform at will."

"Gifted?" she scoffed, whipping her head towards her. "You think this is a gift?!"

"I believe your situation is not as awful as it seems," Luna said quietly, her expression compassionate. Octy turned away from us, sighing and putting her hooves to the ledge of the window.

"I never wanted this,” she muttered, digging her claws into the wood.

"No pony does." Luna turned around and called upstairs. "Fluttershy, you can come down now.”

"Oh nooo! Thank you Princess. That's very kind of you, but I'd rather not see anything that would get anypony in trouble! I'm plugging my ears and blindfolding myself right now and Angel is tying me to a chair!"

I still wanted to knock her out, just in case. I didn’t find pleasure in beating up ponies, (well most of em’,) but I did what had to be done to protect my kind.

As Luna explained to Octy how being a Lycan was permanent and how there wasn’t any cure or anything, I stared at the ground. Guess I didn’t get the option of turning her into a vampire now. Once you have lycan in your system, it’s impossible to become part vampire. I clenched my jaw.

"At least it's only once a month, right? A full moon only comes around every once in a while!" she said, smiling and pacing around. She was hysterical. Almost fell on her face when her claw connected with the floor. She put her paw to the mirror and ran it across its surface.

"Careful!" Luna warned, fearing she'd break the glass. Suddenly Octy stopped, turned around, and started chasing her own tail. She was a dog. A little puppy. What was she becoming cause of me?

"Octavia!" I yelled, unable to take it anymore. She shuddered, then looked at me and smiled forcefully.

"It's not so bad! See? Everything's fine..." She looked back into the mirror. I frowned.

"Octy..."

"I mean sure it's a little inconvenient, but you can't have your cake and eat it too, right?" she half giggled, half sobbed to me. "I'm right, right?!"

She was crazed and panicking. I grabbed her by the shoulders.

"Octy!"

"This is great! Just great!"

"Octavia!" I shook her.

Something seemed to break inside her. Her giggles slowly turned into crying as she wrapped her arms around me, burying her face into my chest. Poor girl. I looked down at her sadly and let her hold me. I just wanted to take all her pain away. Let me feel it instead, I don't care. Just don't let her feel this way. Luna put a hoof on her shoulder causing Octy to look over at her.

"All is not lost, Octavia! There is hope! Salvation!" She flapped her wings and floated into the air, raising a hoof up triumphantly. "For you are not the only one! There is an organization dedicated to helping ponies like you, and Vinyl as well!" There must've been a rule somewhere saying that she had to introduce the Inner Circle as dramatic as possible cause I'd never seen her do it any other way. Octy bit her lip.

"Go on," she sniffed.

"I extend a hoof, and welcome you to…" She paused.

Oh boy, here it comes…

"… The Inner Circle!"

Luna hit her head on the ceiling as she did every time she introduced TIC to somepony. She didn't seem to notice, though.

Aaaand there we go.

"Really?" Octy chuckled, rubbing her eye with a hoof.

"What?" Luna asked, floating back down to the ground, touching her sore head.

"The 'Inner Circle'? I could have come up with a better name."

Anypony could've come up with a better name. It sounds like a cult.

Luna then told Octy about TIC and what its goals were and stuff. I’d heard the speech a million times. How we all help each other and talk things out and it’s a big frickin’ hug fest when in reality, it was just a room full of monsters talking about their issues. I always just listened; not really a touchy-feely sorta mare, as you could probably guess.

"Princess? Does your sister, err, Princess Celestia… Does she know what you are?"

"Of course,” Luna said smiling. “She is perfectly aware of my vampirism, though not afflicted with it herself. In fact, once, she allowed me to feed off her—"

"Okay, too much information!" Octy yelled closing her eyes and putting her hooves over her ears.

"Yeah, T.M.I. Princess," I said, my face scrunching up. If there was an award for making ponies uncomfortable, I swear Princess Luna would win every year.

"In any case, Vinyl Scratch's recent actions have nearly led to us being compromised. Her parents, who donate generously might I add, were willing to cover the cost of damages." Luna turned to me and glared. "Really? That was the best you could come up with?"

"Improvise." I smiled widely at her; she stared back.

"Princess,” Octy said gulping nervously, “will there be problems? In our relationship?"

"Pardon?"

"Well, see, the thing is, Vinyl and I are together."

"How sweet. What problems do you speak of, Octavia?"

"Well, seeing as I'm this lycan and Vinyl's a vampire..."

I smirked. She was worrying about that? Cute how she believed what she read in old story books. Luna sighed and rolled her eyes.

"No, you two will not be at odds. It seems that many think that lycans and vampires are locked in a fierce war."

"I don't get it either," I added. "I mean, it'd make sense if we were like, cats, or something. Why can't we be friends?" I sang at the end.

It would only cause an issue if she bit off my arm or gave me some other lycan-related injury.

"What do members of this circle do, Princess?" Octy asked turning to her. Luna cleared her throat.

"First and foremost, our goal is to help each other. Our second goal is perhaps a little less... noble."

"We're the ones who help keep things the way they are, if ya know what I mean," I explained. "Equestria's not ready to know about us, and you've got ponies like me to make sure things stay that way."

"You mean you work to keep our existence a secret then."

I nodded in response. She frowned and looked down at her claws as she thought. Finally she sighed and stuck her hoof out. Luna smiled and reached out to shake it.

"Welcome to the Inner Circle."

Good. I was glad she was on board. She needed to see there were others like her and that she wasn’t alone in this. Hopefully she wouldn’t be invited to too many “No Vampires Allowed” parties. Suddenly, Octy’s ears shot up.

"Ah, it seems that the moonlight beckons,” Luna said softly. Octy leapt through the open window into the yard, sniffing the ground with her butt in the air. Maybe I was looking at the situation the wrong way. Wouldn’t be so bad. Her acting like a doggy would be a source of entertainment for me, at least.

"Hah, she's like a dog!" I said smiling. She barked and looked over at me.

"I beg your pardon? I am no such thi—SQUIRREL!"

I burst out laughing then jumped out the window and picked a stick up off the ground.

"Hey, Octy!" I said waving it back and forth excitedly. Her eyes locked onto it. "Fetch!" I threw it as far as I could into the woods. Octy galloped in after it, then we heard a loud cracking sound. She came back with an entire tree in her mouth.

"Grrrr!"

"Who's a good girl! Yes you are! Yes you are! Wait, hey, whoa! OUCH! HEY! OW!" Octy tackled me onto my back and licked at my face. Luna laughed at us. "Blegh!"

"Awoooooooo!" she said tilting her head to the sky.

"That was a good one,” I said chuckled nervously.

"I shall have my guards monitor you two for the rest of the night while I leave. I trust you won't enter yourselves into any costume contests?"

Agh, damn. That woulda been an awesome idea.

Couldn’t help feeling like we’d forgotten something.

“H-Hello? Is anypony there? Can somepony untie me?" we heard somepony whimper from inside.

Oh. Yeah.
_________________________________________________________________________

“Thanks a lot for, ya know… taking care of Octy,” I muttered as Luna and I stood outside the cottage door. Two of Luna’s guards stood beside her.

“We do what we can to aid ponies in peril. However, the mare is your responsibility now. Look after her.”

“Whaddya think I was doin' before? And stop that. You’re talking about her like she’s a pet or something,” I said narrowing my eyes at her. She smiled at me.

“Farewell, Vinyl Scratch.” With that, she spread her wings and flew off. I stuck out my tongue and went back inside.

Fluttershy was letting us stay overnight while Luna’s guards kept watch outside. And also cause she probably thought I'd punch her lights out if she didn't. I walked in to see Octy a lot less furry.

“Feelin' better?”

“Yes, very much so,” she said relieved. “Though I still feel kind of itchy all over.”

Normally I would’ve replied “Well if you’d like, I could scratch that itch” or “You know what the only cure for an itch is, right? A ‘Scratch’” or something like that, but cause of what’d happened that night, I doubted either of us were in the mood for that. I just wanted to go to bed and pretend tonight didn’t happen.

“There ain’t enough room on the couch for both of us, so you take it,” I said throwing a pillow on the ground.

“That’s alright. I actually… for some reason, I think I’d much prefer sleeping on the floor tonight,” she said trotting in a circle. Finally she curled up in a little ball, sighing in relief.

"What are you doing?" I asked staring at her.

"I... don't know. It just felt right,” she said honestly.

I sighed and picked the pillow up off the ground, going back over to the couch and laying down. I looked up at the ceiling with my arms behind my head and watched the fan above turn round and round. The blades circled slowly as I stared up, my eyes following them. A wave of tiredness started to take me over.

Nightmare Night… what a fright… give me… something…

I fell asleep pretty quick. It was an exhausting day.