• Published 19th Jan 2022
  • 948 Views, 29 Comments

Horror At Sandstone Manor - WinterStormed



Secrets, betrayal, Espionage, Love and War...The Horror At Sandstone Manor.

  • ...
0
 29
 948

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

Hi guys ! I finally came down to writing. Hope you all enjoy !

The sprawling 170 mile-long estate of the Canter villa was located at the outskirts of Maritime bay in the surrounding forest. Conceived by Phyllis herself, the richest mare, no, the richest pony in the bay, it is considered the crown jewel and highlight of the coastal town. Complete with 5 square pony-made lakes and gardens bursting with the most beautiful of flowers and the tallest of trees, Canter Villa was more of a humble castle rather than an estate.

Hitch stood still at the foot of the mile-long path. Beyond the detailed intricately designed gate, slightly ajar, stood the magnificent residence that rose on a meadow in the distance. The sheriff sighed."There's one way of getting exercise in the morning but I guess it will be worth it."

He was right of course. Last night's surprise visitor sparked an interest, something he would like to share with his deputy now. This morning though he may be still sleeping. Lazy butt.

Sprout originally rented a flat. Intriguing, since his Mummy, Phyllis did not force him out of the manor nor was it out of hatred Sprout left. That colt was a 100% Mama's foal. Well, he ended back here anyway due to hmmm...destruction of a lighthouse and wage cuts. Hitch at first protested about the unfair punishment for Sprout but he was outvoted by the council. Unsurprisingly, Sprout's mother voted for the wage cuts, forcing him to come back home.

Hitch gave a small yawn as the Goliath of home came into view. Four stories tall and at least seventy meters long, the smooth grey stone wall being illuminated by the rising sun.

"Please be awake."

Hitch pressed the doorbell, hoping Sprout would open the door. He was anxious. After all, a possible lead to a mysterious case would send any pony with the jitters.

Hitch sighed as he rang the doorbell for the second time. "Celestial dammit Sprout! Wake your lazy butt already." The inside lights were just now coming on. Hitch wore a worried expression. "Hope I did not wake Phyllis."

A loud thud emanated from the building, the sound of some pony tumbling down a staircase. Hitch made a small smile accompanied by a breath of relief. "That's Sprout alright." Hitch waited for a few seconds before the door swung open from within. A grumpy and tired Sprout stood before him wearing pink bunny slippers on his front hooves and a facial expression that left no doubt that he was annoyed by Hitch's presence here.

"I swear by the stars Hitch, If this is about another cat stuck on a tree so celestial light help me I am-"

Hitch shoved the small box into Sprout's hooves. He decided it was best to show it to him because honestly, it conveyed everything that Hitch wanted to say.

Sprout looked at the box curiously in his hooves. "And what I suppose to with this? "

"Open it, it will explain why I came to ruin your beauty sleep."

Sprout rolled his eyes as he opened the box, his face turning pale as his gaze fell on the object. "P-p-please tell me this is a joke."

Hitch sighed as he entered the premises. "No, I'm afraid after you and the rest of the girls left, Zipp arrived."

"You mean Princess Pits sister ?"

Hitch gave him a deadpan look."Pipp."

"Whatever."

The sheriff did not argue. "Anyway," continued Hitch."She arrived late due to wolf attacks on the road, thankfully she was protected by her royal guard."

Sprout raised an eyebrow. "Guard or Guards ?" There was no way a single guard could fend off the wolves of the forest. They always hunted in packs of four or more.

"Not only that," said Hitch, breaking Sprout from his stupor. "He also said the wolves were made up of wood and bark."

"It seems your new friend got a screw loose ."

Hitch rolled his eyes. "My point Sprout is that the royal guard Anemo Blade is our chance of solving this case !"

Sprout yawned as he plopped down onto the sofa. "Let me guess, this Anemo blade character had metal feathers lined on his wings thus saving Princess Zit from the ravaging wooden wolves."

"Exactly !," said Hitch excitedly as he opened the box again, not realizing what Sprout said. "It proves my theory of this strange metal object," Hitch revealed another feather which was presumably the guards.

Sprout gave an annoyed expression. He remembered that day quite vividly. There was blood, lots of it. Besides the gory setting of the case and the finding of a single metal feather as the only tangible evidence of a blood bath, Hitch proposed that it was some sort of weapon while Sprout it was a metal-monster-pony-eater-bird.

"My theory was way cooler," grumbled the red pony. "I guess you're right." Sprout pointed towards the greenish feather. "But remember this metal feather you have of this Anemo-guard looks similar to the one found at the crime scene." Sprout held the metal feather closely. "This one is far more detailed and intricate, you could mistake it for a real feather if it was not for that unusual shine. Another difference is this feather is a mixture of green and blue while the latter was a carbon black spike that is more streamlined."

Hitch nodded, impressed how Sprout has come so far. The padawan has finally become a Jedi...yeah right. "Go on, what does it tell us about the ponies wielding these two different weapons."

Sprout's gaze fell on the floor, deep in thought, before raising his head. The black spike-feathers belong to a pony who prefers direct combat since it is obvious to the naked eye. I am guessing that these were used more for stabbing and possibly as projectiles."

"Projectiles ?"

"Yes, Projectiles," said a smug Sprout. "The design literally scream's it and the fact that outside the house was littered with holes that match the size of this feather."

"Your guess is all and good Sprout except the fact that only one metal feather was found, which was found on the other side of the house, far away from where the holes were ."

"Yeah, yeah thanks for ruining my theory."

Hitch grinned."Stop whining and carry on with your analysis."

The red pony rolled his eyes. "Let's skip this feather to this much more fancy one. Off the bat you can tell this feather is quality made most probably belonging to a pony with a wealthy backing and in our case the Pegasus kingdom. It is easily hidden which conveys that the pony is more for surprise attacks rather than a direct attack. Presumably a bodyguard, spy, or an assassin..."

Sprout's eyes widened. "Hitch! Princess Zit is going to be -"

Hitch rolled his eyes. "Zipp." He corrected. "He is not an assassin Sprout. He is part of an elite squad of queen Haven."

The Deputy looked at the Sheriff incredulously. "How can you be sure? For all, we know he lied to y-"

"He had proof of his rank and Zipp verified it as well. I also explained the case to him as well as the feathers. He should have been here, he agreed to us here to discuss the case."

"You What !?" Sprout rubbed his head, all that thinking, and processing of theories gone down the toilet. "Then what was the point of our discussion ?"

"Simple, I was testing your deduction skills. Now hold your horses, Anemo said he would meet us here. We just need to wait for a bit."

Sprout looked at the huge grandfather clock next to the fireplace. He was not sure how long they going to wait, It was still very early in the morning. "Want a cup of tea ?" Now, why does he have to open his mouth?


The door reverberated with the sounds of hurried hooves. Leaving his cup of tea behind with Hitch, Sprout walked towards the door. "It seems your Pegasus friend is an early bird as well...Hey! Hitch, stop drinking my tea !"

"Sorry !"

Sprout sighed as Hitch continued to drink his tea. "Let's hope he's not a tea fanatic as well." The open door revealed darkish lime Pegasus.

"Good morning Deputy Sprout, Sheriff Hitch asked for me at this location to discuss the Rosewood manor case."

Sprout stared at him, baffled at what he saw. "What the hay happened to your neck !"


Anemo sat down on the couch opposite Sprout with Hitch on a separate couch at the side. The elite royal guard avoided their gazes.

"Anemo," Hitch said in concern. "What happened to your neck ?"

"They are." Anemo took a pause. "Bite marks."

" Was it a monster? Were you attacked on your way here ?" Sprout was worried. If the said monster was in the gardens. It will take the whole day to search that place. Stupid mother nature.

Hitch shook his head looking at the wound. "The bite marks resemble that of a pony."

Sprout laughed at Hitch's deduction. "Are you serious Hitch? Why would a-"

"The sheriff is correct," sighed Anemo, his cheeks tinged red.

Sprout looked at him surprised while Hitch raised an eyebrow, not liking the change of color on the Pegasus face. This conversation better not be what I think it is.

"Are those-"

"N-N-No !," said Anemo quickly, his guard-like demeanor crumbling."It is not a lov-"

"Ha !," Sprout said unaware Hitch rolling his eyes. "You were pony napped by a pony cannibal! That explains why you got those bite marks on your neck. The cannibal tried to drink your blood but you escaped! Bravo, my good stallion !"

Anemo gave him a confused look. "Don't you mean vampire ?"

Hitch hit his head on the table. "Seriously? Vampire or cannibal, it does matter, or Sprouts movie-inspired theory. What matters is who did this to you ?"

Anemo looked at Sprout and Hitch. "Princess Zipp."

"W-What !"

Anemo sighed as his expression turned into a sad one. "Around two hours ago the princess and I discussed a...personal matter. It did not end well, with her going back to her bedroom. She refused my help to get her upstairs and forbid me from my post by her door. Having nothing to do but to obey the princess's instructions I stayed downstairs until Sunny arrived."

Hitch looked surprised. "What do you mean arrived ?"

"I do not know, it was too early in the morning for any of the shops to be open and I did enquire where she was."

"Did she tell you ?"

"No, except that it was something important. She looked off and that was when everything started to become strange. Very strange."

Hitch and Sprout gave him a puzzled expression. "Strange ?"

"Yes, strange. Sunny kept asking about Sheriff Hitch, asking questions such as where he was or who he was with. She was becoming hysterical. She was one of the reasons why I arrived late."

Sprout rolled his eyes. "Your definition of late is very different from my definition."

The sheriff woke up, his expression worried. "What was the other reason ?"

Anemo took a deep breath, calming himself down. "Just as suddenly Sunny became hysterical, she reverted to her normal self and having no recollection of what happened moments ago. While trying to process what was going on, Sunny and I heard loud sobbing upstairs, where the Princess was. I immediately rushed upstairs and when I open the door... I-I-I-I-I..."

"And ?" pressed Hitch.

Anemo looked at them, the fresh memory replaying...


"Princess are you okay !" Anemo ruched towards the crying princess as she clutched a pillow tightly. She did not respond. The elite guard was worried as he drew near towards the hysterical form on the bed. As soon he was by her side she stopped crying.

"Princess? Are you-"

Anemo deflected the wing hit from the princess, shocked. "Princess what are you- mphfffff !" the green Pegasus eyes opened wide as the princess kissed him full on the lips, not letting go as her hooves enveloped around his body tightly, latching him in. The princess was very athletic and strong but Anemo was stronger, breaking free, Anemo instantly bolted out of the bed, gaping at the princess in stupefaction. Her eyes were glazed and puffy as she stared back at him.

"Anemo," Zipp sang, in a soft voice as she got out of the bed, walking towards the door. Sealing it shut. "Ah, now we have some priv-"

"Z-Z-Zipp." Anemo for the first time in his life was uncertain of what to do. "What are you doing !?" The green Pegasus backed away from the forthcoming Princess.

Zipp pouted. "Awww why are you frightened of me ?" Directly the princess pounced on Anemo, who luckily side rolled to the left.

"Zipp, cease this madness !" Anemo was trapped in a corner.

Zipp wore a vexed expression, her eyes glowing a slight red. "I love you Anemo! But you do not repay it! Rather, you go for my Sister! Do you mock me like all the guards behind my back? Sympathy for the least popular princess !!?"

Anemo's ears flatten. "No, Zipp. I love you. I really do. But your mother has arranged the marriage-"

"I do not bucking care what my mother said or did! I do not care about your deceitful claims of love !" Zipp was tearing up, her breathing becoming heavier. "Since you do not love me, I will make you love me! Venti Anemo blade I order you to embrace me !"

Anemo stood unmoving. It was his obligation to obey her highness, Queen Haven, regardless of the morality of the order or whether it will affect him personally. But since her highness assigned him to Zipp.....

Anemo drooped his head in guilt as he walked slowly towards the smiling princess. Zipp grasped Anemo tightly, nuzzling his neck. The green Pegasus eyes were shut.

"Venti ?"

"Yes, my princess ?"

"Remember the Dark ages? Did we not learn about it during the history classes? "

"Yes, I do remember."

"The mares use to brand their stallions to show their ownership of them. Some used collars, others used clothes but every mare had their unique brand."

Anemo stiffen as he felt her muzzle close to his ear. "Please Z-Zipp. I Love you. Don't do this."

Zipp ignored him. "If you are going to be married to Pipp then I don't mind. As long as she knows I had first try..."


"... and that is how I got the bite marks, luckily Sunny managed to open the with a spare key, distracting the princess just enough for me to break free. For some reason she could not leave the room though, the door was left ajar. she snapped out of it and here I am."

The three ponies sat in silence, forgetting the reason why they were meeting in the first place.

Hitch stood up. "I should go and check on Sunny."

"No, sheriff, It will make the situation worse."

Hitch shot Anemo an annoyed look. "How can it make it worse ?"

Sprout turned pale as realization dawned upon him. "Oh no."

Anemo looked at Sprout in concern. "Deputy-"

"We doomed." Sprout said in a whisper. "I'm doomed."

"Sprout, you not making sense."

"Don't you numbskulls get it? Sunny became hysterical when Hitch is mentioned, who she loves. Zipp loves Anemo and she became berserk with rage when she found out about your marriage a-a-and Izzy...she's in the house."

Hitches eyes widened. "How is she in your mum's house !?"

Sprout shivered. "Well, the party last night ended very late and Izzy planned on leaving early this morning and so.....I offered her to stay at my place for the night."

Anemo took a deep breath. "Calm down. As you said yourself it is only affecting mares who are in love and since Hitch did mention when I first met him that you only met her yesterday evening right ?"

Hitch and Anemo looked at Sprout, unconsciously begging. "Right ?"

Sprout looked at them. "L-Last night after I made tea for her, all of a sudden she began to act weird. Her magic became brighter and her movement became more sloppy like she was drunk and then all of a sudden she became normal.... and she confessed her love for me."

"ARE YOU BUCKING SERIOUS! It was literary one afternoon !" Hitch said while Anemo's eyes began to dart across the room.

"How am supposed to know what is love! ," Sprout shot back. "I was so shocked I did not know what to say and so I-"

Anemo's fur went on end. "Please tell me you said yes."

Hitch's heart stopped.

"I-I-I told her that I will think about it." Sprout said going into panic mode. "She was sad at first but said she understood, she then again began to act strangely before going to bed. I gave her my room and I slept in one of the guest's rooms."

"Sprout, is she still here ?" Hitch asked.

The red pony nodded. "She's still here."

Anemo unfurled his wings. "Then we better hurry before-" The green Pegasus voice was cut short as all the curtains magically closed and lights turned off. Turning the whole mansion into a pool of inky darkness.

Sprout gulped. "We too late."

"Calm down Sprout, we got this," said Hitch.

"Hitch is right," added Anemo."Since the unicorn is after you, you stay between us." The elite guard gazed at the barely visible staircase. "We going to have to go upstairs." Anemo stretched his wings, the blades glinting in the darkness.

"Hey elite spud, we trying to subdue her not kill her."

"Do not worry Sheriff, these weapons are harmless until I activate them. Although containing the unicorn is going to be a total ball game."

Sprout having calmed down, understood what Anemo was saying. Izzy was a unicorn. Unicorns have magic. Dammit.

The trio reached Sprout's room door. Anemo tried to open the door. "The doors lock, I am going to have to break in."

Sprout waved a hoof nervously. "Do it, I was going to replace it anyway."

Anemo knocked down the door as Hitch and Sprout followed, entering the well-lit room.

"Geez Sprout, your room is bigger than the entire house !" Hitch eyes swept around the room and on the bed was-

"My little Sprout !"

"I-Izzy ?" Sprout looked at the unicorn, his cheeks tinged with pink.

"Geez! What's with the pose" Anemo said, turning his face.

"I cannot unsee that," said Hitch rubbing his eyes. "Izzy are you okay."

"No, she's not." Gulped Sprout. "Look at her eyes, it is glowing red a bit !"

Izzy pouted. "Awww Sprouty is nervous with his friends are around. Do not worry, let me get rid of them for you."

"Izzy, stop !"

Sprout's pleading was dismissed as Izzy levitated Hitch and Anemo from the ground. "Oooh, you a strong one !" Izzy chuckled, looking at the green pegasus before grunting. "A bit too strong."

Anemo growled as struggled in the aura. "There's no way I am going to be bested by a mere civvie !"

Izzy gave Anemo a disapproving look. "It seems somepony needs a bit of fresh air to calm down." Anemo was sent through the window, 4 stories down, the pane shattering into pieces.

"Anemo !" Shouted Sprout and Hitch. The sheriff and deputy's hearts stopped for a second before they heard the sound of beating wings.

Fortunately, Anemo came busting through the broken window, landing by the two.

"Thank the light you okay," sighed Sprout. "I had no idea how to explain to my mummy why there was a dead bodyguard in her front yard."

Hitch rolled his eyes as he punched Anemo's shoulder lightly. "Sprout does not mean it, he's very insecure."

Anemo chuckled."Yeah, I know."

Sprout sputtered at the two. "I am not insecure! ...I just have these feelings of not being good enough and an outlook of uncertainty."

"Bro, that's the definition of an insecure pony. "

"Enough of this !" Izzy said, looking at the trio talking to each, ignoring her completely.

"What you going to do Unicorn ?" Anemo said, his head held high. "Throw fireballs at us ?"

"Eh, guys, why is her eyes glowing again," Hitch said, pointing the obvious.

"You had to act high and mighty ." Sprout said as he hid behind a chair.

Anemo looked at the unicorn as her horn began to glow a bright orange before casting a fireball.

Hitch side rolled, the firey projectile missing him by an inch. "Sprout, you never mentioned she could shoot fireballs !"

"How am I suppose to know !" said Sprout carrying an extinguisher. "I met her yesterday !"

Anemo dodged another fireball. "What the hay are you doing with a fire extinguisher !?"

"I am not having my room burn to a crisp! Besides my mummy is going to kill me !"

Anemo quickly tried to formulate a plan while Hitch was busy dodging Izzy's fireballs. Gotcha.

"Sprout !"

Sprout popped his head from his hiding place. "Yes !?"

"I have a plan !"

"Well, it's about tim-"

"You going to have to give yourself to Izzy. "

Sprout looked at the guard funny. "Are you mad !?"

"Sprout !" shouted Hitch as he dodged another fireball. "He's right! Listen to him !"

Anemo nodded at Hitch. He noticed as well.

Sprout took a big gulp. With friends like these, I will end up dead before the end of the day.

"Izzy " Sprout walked slowly towards the bed. The unicorn immediately stopped her spell.

Anemo and Hitch looked on nervously as Sprout sat at the edge of the bed.


Sprout held his breath as Izzy clutched him, coddling his chest. He did not know what to do. Sure he had a crush on Izzy, his first crush ever, but it just formed yesterday. Also, the Izzy in front of him was nothing like her original self. The feeling of her warm coat was gone and her sparkling eyes of hope and security were gone too. This was wrong.

"Izzy." Sprout said. Pushing her away. "Stop." Sprout regretted what he said when her eyes began to glow again.

"What did you say to me ?" S he said in a deadly whisper. oh, buck.
"Maybe a quick session of ....cuddling will change your attitude."

Sprout did not like how she said cuddling."Guys, whatever the plan is do it now !"

Izzy grabbed him, forcing her lips onto his. She then pushed him against the mattress. Things were getting serious. Somepony, help me !!! . Sprout abruptly felt somepony pulling him off the bed with Izzy in tow. Sprout hit the floor hard with Izzy on top of him.


"Whew !" sighed Hitch. "It's over."

"Thank the night," added Anemo.

"So that was your plan," said Sprout as he gently move Izzy by his side, realizing the reasoning for throwing him off the bed with Izzy...

Anemo nodded. "The unicorn refused to get out of the bed throughout the entire time, similar to the Princess who did not leave the room after I stepped out of the door."

"It's as if the effect is only active within a radius," said Sprout. "That means there be a source or an activating agent- "

"Found it !". Hitch crawled from under the bed.

"Be careful." Anemo cautiously said. "We do not know if it will affect the unicorn again."

"Got it." Nodded Hitch. He looked at it. "Hmmm, a blood-red rose....looks familiar....."

"R-R-R-Rosewood manor," said Sprout as he clenched his eyes, the images flooding his mind. Blood, so much of blood.

Anemo looked at Sprout concerned. "Hitch, What manor is Sprout talking about ?"

Hitch sighed as he placed the rose on the dresser table. "It's the case that we were supposed to discuss with you."

"It's seem's that your case's Killer is still alive."

Hitch picked up the rose while Sprout was already taking Izzy downstairs. The hospital was where they were heading. To treat Izzy and get the rose analyzed and tested for any foreign substance.

The sheriff looked at Anemo."Let's hope not."


Sprout yawned. It was around midday currently as he waited outside the hospital with Anemo. Hitch already gave them the news about the rose and the girls: Izzy, Suppy, and Zit. The rose contained a substance. A name that Sprout could not pronounce accelerates a mares heat cycle and...some other stuff that got to do with lust. Whoever did this is a pervert.

"Hey, guys." Hitch said."I met with the girls, they decided that they would be going to Zephyr heights until everything is sorted out."

Anemo sighed. "I'm afraid this is where we part ways."

"What! " Sprout was having none of this. "You are the only thread that's holding this case otherwise we have nothing which excludes the serial pervert killer on the loose."

Anemo shook his head. "I am an elite guard. My sole purpose is to protect her highness. The reason why I am even in Maritime Bay was that the Queen ordered it. Now since the princess is leaving I have to leave as well...I have so much apologizing to do, especially to Zip- I mean the princess"

"Oh. That's the reason ?"

Anemo looked at Hitch. "Yes."

"Okay, then let me go ask her then." Hitch then went back into the hospital.

"I'm getting a feeling he hit his head at your place."

Sprout stretched. "Nah, Hitch is serious. I saw Queen Haven entering the hospital. In fact, she is right behind you."

Anemo rolled his eyes. "Nice try deputy. But her majesty-"

"Anemo Venti Blade. "

Oh no.