• Published 24th Dec 2021
  • 315 Views, 0 Comments

The Gift - Dreadnought



After years apart, Vinyl seeks out Octavia.

  • ...
1
 0
 315

Adagio

Vinyl Scratch trotted down the main thoroughfare of Ponyville on an exceptionally beautiful day, though she seemed to be the only one enjoying it. Everywhere she looked ponies were preoccupied with some urgent task. Over at town hall a work crew stood on teetering ladders as they put the final touches on the brand-new roof. High above teams of pegasi flew around, removing the last of the clouds from the sky. Along the crowded street earth ponies rushed about planting flowers or trimming hedges as unicorns used their magic to hang decorations from the buildings and lampposts and trees. Lyra raised a large banner that proclaimed “Ponyville Welcomes Princess Twilight” while Sweetie Belle hung one that read “Summer Sun Celebration.”

Turning left onto a side street, she quickly left the hustle and bustle behind. She walked among the many modest homes that made up the quaint hamlet of Ponyville. Some were brightly colored, with lush gardens of flowers and trees. Others were timber-framed waddle-and-daub construction with overhanging thatch roofs. The one that she approached appeared comfortable, if unremarkable. It was a simple one-story home painted a dull gray with a small well-kept front yard surrounded by a low picket fence. Drawn curtains kept prying eyes from peering inside.

Vinyl approached the front door. She reached forth her hoof, took a deep breath and knocked. Then she stood there, patiently waiting.

The door creaked open on loud hinges to reveal a plump pegasus mare.

Clearing her throat, she began, “Good Afternoon, I’m Vinyl Scratch. I’m here to see Octavia.”

“I’m afraid Miss Melody isn’t seeing guests today.”

The mare started to close the door but a hoof from Vinyl kept it from shutting. “Please,” she began, her trademark sunglasses slipping down her muzzle to reveal her cerise eyes, “I’m a friend of Octavia’s. I need to speak with her.”

The pegasus stared down at the unicorn, taking stock of the smaller pony who had refused to leave. At length she opened the door a little. “I will ask if she will see you.”

“Thank you,” Vinyl responded as she pushed her sunglasses back into their rightful place.

The mare disappeared inside the house for a long time. At last, she returned and opened the door. “Miss Octavia will see you.”

Vinyl stepped inside the foyer, the front door shutting behind her instantly darkening the room and forcing her to remove her sunglasses.

“This way, please,” said the pegasus mare, who led the unicorn to the kitchen. “You may have a seat while you wait. May I get you something to drink?” the mare offered.

Vinyl shook her head and the pegasus went into another room, leaving her alone in the kitchen. For a disc jockey used to pounding beats and electronic rhythms, the silence was deafening. She occupied the time by examining her surroundings. Like the exterior, the interior was functional but unexceptional. A simple table with four chairs stood in the corner near the window while the opposite wall featured cabinets, a sink, an oven, and a stove. In the center of the room lay an island with a small vase of flowers.

Soft hoofsteps from behind caught her attention. Vinyl turned around and suppressed a gasp, but unfortunately her absent sunglasses failed to hide her wide eyes. Standing in the doorway was a pony that was at once so recognizable yet also so unfamiliar. The gray mare wore a pale pink bathrobe two sizes too big, or perhaps the earth pony was too thin, with sleeves that reached the floor. Heavy bags hung under her weary eyes as her unkempt mane drifted off to one side.

“Octavia,” she whispered.

“It’s been a long time, Vinyl,” said Octavia Melody in a soft voice as she took a seat opposite the unicorn, wrapping her hooves in the folds of her pink robe.

“Yes, it has,” admitted Vinyl, noting the faint smell of alcohol.

After an awkward pause, Octavia offered, “How about some tea?”

“I’m fine.”

“I need a cup for this headache.” She called out with a weak voice, “Helping Hoof?”

The pegasus returned to the room. “Yes, Miss Melody?”

“Could you brew a cuppa tea for myself and Vinyl?”

“Of course.”

As the Helping Hoof busied herself with preparing the tea, Octavia turned back to her guest. “How are you these days?” she began.

“Okay.”

“Your career?”

Vinyl shifted in her chair. “I... keep busy.” The background sounds of a teaset being readied took over for a time. When Octavia didn’t say anything, Vinyl eventually filled the silence with “I had a show last weekend.”

“Where this time?”

“Las Pegasus.”

“You were always popular there,” admitted Octavia with a sigh.

“Yeah.”

“Still blasting the dance floors with your...?”

“Wubs.”

“Wubs?”

“Yeah.”

“Still performing under DJ Pon-3?”

“Yeah.”

Though there was no smile, there was something.... “Somethings never change.”

“Yeah,” trailed off Vinyl.

Wheee!!! The kettle had reached a boil. The two mares watched in silence as Helping Hoof carefully poured the boiling water and steeped the tea. The pegasus brought a laden tray over to the table, gently setting a teacup down before each mare. She poured a full cup for Vinyl and a half cup for Octavia then offered each sugar, milk and honey before attending to the laundry in another room.

Vinyl levitated her cup and took a sip, all under the longing gaze of Octavia.

“So, how is your husband?”

“Whooves is fine.”

“I still can’t believe you married a doctor.”

“He will tell you that he’s the Doctor,” corrected Vinyl. “And why can’t you believe that I married a doctor?”

“I don’t know... I supposed that I assumed that you would marry somepony who shared your passion for....”

“Music?” Vinyl supplied. “Well, I supposed it’s the old saying about opposites attracting.”

“And how is....” Octavia glanced away.

“Adagio?”

Looking back to Vinyl, she asked, “She’s what? Four?”

“Six.”

“Six. Time must fly.”

“Adagio is a wonderful daughter, but....”

“But?”

“I have failed as a mother,” Vinyl said, shaking her head. “She has a terrible taste in music.”

“Oh?”

“She prefers classical to anything modern.”

“Perhaps she’s had her fill of your music.”

“Maybe,” admitted Vinyl. She fidgeted with the teacup in her hooves. “She’s actually why I’m here.”

Octavia returned a confused look.

She shifted uneasily in her seat. “I was hoping that perhaps... you might consider... teaching her cello?”

“No,” was Octavia’s immediate, firm reply.

“Once a week?”

“No.”

“You could give her pointers –”

“No.”

“It would mean so much –”

“You know I can’t.”

“Octavia –”

“NO!”

Vinyl flinched at the response, both from the bluntness along with the surprise at how forceful it was.

“Look at me!” Octavia pulled her hooves out from her bathrobe and held them up for both of them to see. “I can’t play!” she declared, her constantly trembling hooves emphasizing her point.

Helping Hoof returned to the kitchen. “Miss Melody, is everything alright? Is Miss Scratch bothering you? I can have her leave.”

Octavia sighed and her voice became soft again, “It’s okay.”

The pegasus glanced between the two mares, lingering longer on Vinyl, then returned to the laundry.

“I can’t,” said Octavia. “You know I can’t play anymore. Music was my life. And it’s gone just like my music.”

The two sat in silence for a long time. Octavia would manage the occasional sip of tea from her shaking cup.

“Octavia, I won’t say I know everything you’ve been through. You’ve been in a lot of pain, emotionally and physically.” Vinyl gazed out the window. “I’m reminded of a young mare I know. I think you know her too. She’s a pegasus... a bit of a tomboy. She idolizes Captain Dash. But –”

“You’re referring to Scootaloo,” Octavia stated flatly, catching Vinyl off guard.

“Yes.”

“I remember that filly. What’s your point?”

“She can’t fly.”

“Everypony knows that.”

“Her wings won’t allow her to fly. But they help her zip around Ponyville on her scooter like a demon straight from Tartarus.”

“What’s your point?” Octavia said testily.

Vinyl sighed, “My point is, we both know you’re never going to play again. But that doesn’t mean you have to live a secluded life away from your friends. My daughter wants to learn cello. Everypony knows I’d never be able to teach her.” She looked her friend squarely in the eyes. “But you can. You can use your special talent again.”

Octavia sat in silence staring away for a long time. Vinyl finished her tea and remained quiet. Finally, she stood up and headed to the front door. As she left the kitchen, she paused and turned back to her friend. “Promise me, Octavia, that you’ll at least consider it.” She was met with silence and left the house.


A few weeks later...

A little white unicorn filly with a brown mane knocked on the front door of an unremarkable house. After a short wait, the door opened and she gazed up at the mare towering over her.

“My, you must be Adagio,” said the mare.

The filly simply nodded.

The door opened fully and Helping Hoof smiled. “Come on in. Miss Melody is waiting for you.”

Adagio followed the mare to the kitchen, where she found a gray earth pony in an oversized pink bathrobe sitting at the table, gazing at a newspaper laying on the table.

“Miss Melody, Miss Whooves is here to see you.”

Octavia looked up and studied the filly. “I can tell your Vinyl’s daughter. You have her eyes,” she said at last.

Adagio nodded.

“You mother was insistent that I take you on as a student. She says you prefer to the cello to wubs.”

“Yes, Miss Melody.”

“Call me Octavia. Your mother always did.” Standing up from her chair, she commanded, “Follow me.”

The two walked down the hall to an unexpectedly large room. In one corner lay a grand piano, its top down and covered with sheet music. A tall bookcase occupied another corner. On lower shelves it held dozens of books ranging from musical theory to orchestral composing to biographies of famous musicians while its higher shelves showcased a multitude of trophies from past musical competitions. Finally in another corner stood a cello with an accompanying music stand.

Octavia motioned for the filly to go to the cello. Adagio took a seat, examining the instrument thoroughly.

“There’s a cloth over on the piano bench that you can use to clean the dust off.” Octavia sighed, “I’m afraid it hasn’t been played in years.”

Adagio took the cloth and loving wiped down and polished the instrument, all under the watchful gaze of Octavia. At last the filly looked expectantly at her instructor.

“Sit up straight,” Octavia commanded. “Proper posture is required to play.... That’s it. Now, take the bow in your hoof.”

Adagio did as she was told and put it to the strings.

“No, no. You’re holding it wrong.” The filly looked up confused. “The bow isn’t something you just pick up. It’s a living, breathing thing. Think of it as an extension of yourself.” After a few minutes of explaining how to properly hold the bow, Octavia directed, “I want you to play a note. But, if you learn nothing else from today, remember this. When you play, what you create is not sound. It is not notes on a sheet. It is you, the very expression of your soul in music. Now, show me who Adagio Whooves is.”

Adagio took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and drew the bow across the strings. The room filled with a deep, rich tone for the first time in years. It was powerful... sorrowful... hopeful. As the tone slowly faded, she opened her eyes and was shocked by her instructor. Octavia sat silently, tears running down her cheeks.


A few months later....

Knock! Knock!

“I wonder who that could be,” muttered an irritated Vinyl, her words lost amongst the holly-jolly music playing throughout the house. She set down the suitcases she was levitating and headed for the front door. “Adagio, we’re leaving in ten minutes,” she shouted up the stairs as she opened the door. “Octavia!” she gasped.

“Hello, Vinyl,” responded the earth pony bundled up in a heavy lavendar parka with a complimentary pink scarf.

“Come in,” said Vinyl as she stepped aside to make way for her friend.

Octavia came in and gazed at her surroundings. “So, this is your home now? Quite different from when we shared a house.”

“Yeah. When you’re married, you have to compromise. The house is too bland for me, but he has to keep his scientific work out in his lab. Do you want anything to drink?”

Setting her saddlebags aside as she took a seat in a plush chair, Octavia said, “No, thank you.”

“I’m afraid I don’t have much time,” Vinyl said apologettically, “but we have to catch the train to Canterlot.”

“Oh?”

“I’m doing a Hearth’s Warming Eve concert.”

“Really? A Hearth’s Warming Eve concert? I never would have imagined.”

An embarrassed Vinyl admitted, “Well, my holiday-themed album is more popular than anypony expected.”

“I wish you luck. Not that you’ll need it.”

“So, what can I help you with?” Vinyl asked, bringing the conversation back around.

“I wanted to give out Hearth’s Warming presents.”

“Really?”

“Yes. I would like to give Adagio hers first.”

Vinyl went to the bottom of the stairs. “Adagio, please come here.”

A moment later the filly came bounding down. As she reached the bottom of the stairs, she stopped when she saw who their guest was. “Octavia?” she asked.

“Hello, Adagio. Won’t you have a seat?” She gestured to the couch opposite her.

Adagio sat down and her mother sat next to her.

“You really enjoy playing the cello?” asked Octavia.

Adagio gave an enthusiastic nod of the head.

“You’ve shown a lot of potential during our sessions. More than I initially thought,” Octavia admitted. “But potential is nothing without hard work. You must practice hours and hours if you really want to become proficient, let alone good. Do you think you have the dedication to become a professional musician?”

“Oh, yes.”

“Then you’re going to need a cello of your own for practicing at home.” Octavia smiled, “That’s why I’m giving you my cello.”

Adagio’s eyes went wide. “Really?”

“Yes.”

The filly squeled with joy and rushed over to hug Octavia.

After a moment, Vinyl said, “Adagio, have you finished packing?”

She shook her head.

“Well, go get it done. We’re leaving shortly.”

Turning back to her instructor, she said, “Happy Hearth’s Warming.”

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Adagio.”

A smiling filly bounded across the room and up the stairs.

Turning to her friend, Vinyl said, “Octavia, you shouldn’t have.”

“We’re not done yet.” She reached into her saddlebags and retrieved a present for the unicorn. Her hooves still trembling, she passed it to her friend.

Unwrapping the gift, Vinyl was speechless as she looked down at the record.

“It’s a mint condition, never been played. I know it’s your favorite.”

“Octavia, you shouldn’t have,” Vinyl said for a second time.

“I wanted to,” she explained.

“I’m sorry I didn’t get you anything –”

“You got me something worth more than all the bits in Equestria.”

“I did?”

“You gave me a student who’s brought meaning back to my life. If it weren’t for her, I’d still be in a very dark place.”

“Ocatavia –”

“Thank you Vinyl.” She rose from her seat, “I should go. You have a train to Canterlot departing shortly.” As she reached the door, she turned and said, “Happy Hearth’s Warming Vinyl.”

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Octavia.”

A smiling Octavia stepped outside onto the bustling street.

Author's Note:

Happy Holidays!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment