• Published 23rd Dec 2011
  • 26,607 Views, 1,765 Comments

A Bluebird's Song - Ardensfax



Rainbow Dash is struggling against her own past. Is it time for her rising star to fall?

  • ...
58
 1,765
 26,607

Pulling The Puzzles Apart

A Bluebird’s Song

~~~
Strangers don’t hide
The morning hunts you down
And there’s nothing stranger
Than to love someone
~~~

Pulling The Puzzles Apart

The daylight had finally worked its way through the dissipating storm clouds, and the early afternoon sun beat down upon the town, drying it off a little after the waterlogged morning. Deciding to escape from the cluttered, stuffy library, Twilight and Rainbow Dash could be found trotting through the quiet cobbled streets in search of somewhere to get lunch.

Despite the sun, the weather was still chilly, and the wind gusted unpleasantly from time to time. Shortly after leaving the library, Dash noticed that Twilight was shivering a little, so she extended a wing and draped it a little nervously over Twilight’s back. The unicorn smiled, relishing both the sudden warmth and the gesture of affection, and she leaned in closer to Dash as they walked side-by-side. Dash felt her sudden nerves evaporate, and grinned back.

She suddenly felt a sense of elation, almost of unreality, not quite able to believe that the unicorn whose image had disturbed her sleep for so long was walking beside her, wrapped up in her wing. Her marefriend. At that moment, neither of them cared that they were airing their affection so overtly in public. Right then, it hardly seemed to matter what anypony thought of them. Besides, the streets were practically deserted in the aftermath of the storm.

“So,” Twilight began, “this experiment.”

Dash was jerked out of her reverie. “Huh? Oh, yeah.” She winked cheekily at Twilight. “Just go easy on the science, eh? We don’t all have brains like you.”

Twilight giggled, and nuzzled Dash’s cheek. “I’ll do my best.” She cleared her throat. “I’ve been studying pegasus wings recently,” she began. “I’ve looked at their lifting ability, I’ve looked at how fast they can flap, how much force the wing muscles can create, all that stuff. I’ve done all the calculations.” Twilight paused for a second, looking a little nervously at Dash. “You might not like the conclusions I’ve drawn.”

The pegasus did not seem particularly worried. “Go on, then,” she smirked, “aren’t we using our wings well enough?”

Twilight sighed. “Actually, no. You’re using them far too well, as a matter of fact.” She took a deep breath. “You see, pegasi shouldn’t be able to fly.”

For a moment, there was silence. Dash stopped walking, and Twilight followed suit. Then Dash started laughing.

Well, that’s just brilliant, Twilight thought, and rolled her eyes as the pegasus struggled to stay upright, laughing uproariously. She could feel the wing draped across her back shaking. The few ponies who happened to be walking by turned their heads, trying to see where the noise was coming from.

“Th-that’s a good one, Twi!” Dash choked out in-between snorts, patting her on the back. “Pegasi shouldn’t be able to fly? Next you’ll be saying that you shouldn’t be able to read!”

I’m not kidding!” Twilight exclaimed, a little annoyed.

Dash finally controlled her laughter, and removed her wing from Twilight’s back. With a flourish, she flapped her wings once, and launched herself into the air in a cloud of dust, coming to a halt and hovering about two feet above Twilight’s head, lazily beginning what appeared to be a mid-air swim, grinning triumphantly. “Look, Twilight,” she called down, “flying’s what pegasi do, it’s what we’ve always done. If we’re not supposed to fly, why d’ya reckon we built Cloudsdale?”

Twilight gritted her teeth. A corona of purple magic enveloped the hovering pegasus, and deposited her swiftly back on all four hooves beside Twilight, with a small thump. “Listen!” Twilight said firmly, looking Dash in the eyes. “Look at your wings, just look at them!”

Dash obligingly stretched out a wing, and looked up and down it, glancing at the feather groups one by one, not really seeing where this was going. She was still clearly trying not to laugh.

“Now,” continued Twilight, “how fast can the average bird fly?”

“Umm,” Dash looked blank.

“About fifty miles an hour, I’d guess, tops,” Twilight said, answering her own question in her haste to get to the point. “You broke the sound barrier!” Her voice rose on the last sentence, and she stomped a hoof on the ground emphatically. “I’ve done the calculations, pegasi don’t even have low bone density, you might have hollow bones but you weigh almost the same as the rest of us,” she continued in a rush. “pegasus wings are small, they’re really, really small for your size. You shouldn’t even be able to get off the ground with them!” She prodded Dash gently in the chest with a hoof. “You went at nine hundred miles an hour on wings that shouldn’t even work. Doesn’t that bother you?”

Dash blinked, momentarily silent. She stretched out her wing and looked suspiciously at it, as if expecting it to drop off. She had to admit, Twilight was right. It had never actually occurred to her before, but when she looked at her wings properly, it was obvious how ineffective they should be. “…Fair point.”

Twilight let out a sigh of relief. “I thought you’d need more convincing.”

Dash smiled distractedly, still a little put off by the revelation. “Hey, why’d you make it up?” She shrugged, then nudged Twilight. “Besides, no offence, but I don’t see you as being much of a prankster, so you’re probably not tryin’ to trick me!”

She fell to looking worriedly at her wings again, frowning at them intensely. She was not particularly worried; it did not matter to her how she flew, provided that she still could do so. She was intrigued, however, unable to help being caught up in the mystery. “So…” She looked back up at Twilight. “How come I can fly? How come all pegasi can?”

“I’m not absolutely sure,” Twilight admitted, “that’s why I need your help. I’ve got a theory, though.” Her teeth were chattering a little as the wind gusted again. “Look, can we talk about this over lunch? It’s freezing out here.”

Dash nodded, hastily. She was mostly protected from the cold air by her feathers, and it was easy to forget that her companion had no such protection. “Good call.”

They began walking again. “Ya know,” Dash whispered conspiratorially to Twilight, “maybe they’re not much good for flying, but these wings sure come in useful for some things.” She draped her wing around the cold unicorn’s back again, pulling her close as they walked along.

Twilight laughed. “I can’t argue with that.” She pecked the pegasus lightly on the cheek, no longer feeling the cold underneath the well-insulated wing. As they walked together in peaceful silence, her eyes drifted closed in contentment. At that moment, there was nowhere in the world that she would rather be.

*

“Now wherever has that dragon got to? He’s never been late before.” Rarity was awaiting Spike’s arrival on the edge of town, with her ornate umbrella perched upon her back in case the rain decided to relapse. She glanced at the distant clock tower, seeing that Spike should have turned up almost ten minutes ago, which was most unlike him, especially when Rarity was concerned.

Suddenly, she spotted him approaching from the direction of the town, apparently deep in thought. As always, he seemed to perk up instantaneously when he saw her, and jogged over to meet her.

“Really sorry I’m late, Rarity,” he called as he approached. “I got kinda held up at the library.”

They began to walk away from town, side-by-side, and Rarity could not help but notice Spike’s distraction. Admittedly, he was usually distracted around her, but today she did not appear to be the cause. “Held up?” Rarity echoed, inquisitively. “Why, Spike, you look positively flustered.”

Oh ponyfeathers, what do I tell her? Spike panicked internally, not having any idea if Twilight and Dash wanted to tell their friends about their being together. He knew that such a revelation was up to them to make, it was not for him to gossip about.

“Uhh, yeah. It’s no big deal. It’s just been a weird day.”

Good one, Spike. Nice and vague.

“Oh?” Rarity seemed to be able to tell that he was stalling, or at least holding something back, but she did not press the matter any further for the moment. “I thought we could go looking for emeralds today,” she said brightly, changing the subject entirely.

Spike grinned in anticipation, he had not tasted emerald in quite some time, and he missed their cool, citric tang. He hoped that he could manage to sneak a few without Rarity noticing. “Awesome!” he replied, enthusiastically. Rarity giggled a little at his excitement.

“Remember, I’ll need some left to use by the end,” she warned him with a lighthearted smile, seemingly reading his mind.

Spike lost all speaking capacity for a few seconds as a result of Rarity’s smile, and nodded. Rarity was used to the little dragon’s moments of muteness when around her, and no longer considered them odd, merely endearing. They were outside the town now, in the mountainous wasteland to the east, their steps kicking up plumes of dust behind them.

They walked on in silence for a few more moments, then Rarity’s appetite for gossip successfully got the better of her. “So…” she began, trying to broach the subject as delicately as possible, knowing how cagey Spike was being about it. “When you say it’s been a weird day…”

Spike reddened, and he tried to think up some excuse that was suitably prosaic and unromantic. Unfortunately, no inspiration struck. “Uhh,” he mumbled, and paused, playing for time. “Yeah.”

Don’t be specific.

“At the library…” he mumbled, twisting his claws together nervously.

Don’t be specific! Stop blushing!

“…Twilight was acting kind of… Odd.”

They had stopped walking. Spike’s overactive imagination was flipping vividly between the kudos he would gain with Rarity for telling her the truth about this, and the slow and painful death that Twilight would doubtless enact upon him when she discovered that he had blabbed about her private affairs to the most gossip-happy pony in Ponyville. He would not have been surprised if both of his ears had been venting steam with a noise like a whistling kettle, such was his indecision.

Rarity’s interest was obviously piqued. Spike would not be so obviously flustered over something uninteresting. Whatever this was, it had to be something juicy. She fluttered her eyelids at him, not deliberately trying to charm him, but reacting as she naturally did when intrigued or excited. “Really? How so?”

Spike gritted his teeth, internally shouting at himself. Don’t say anything. Don’t say anything. Twilight’ll turn you into a carrot and feed you to Angel.

“I… I saw…”

She’ll never let you have a moustache again. She trusts you! Ignore the eyes, you can resist the eyes. Do. Not. Tell. Rarity.

“I walked in on Twilight and Rainbow Dash kissing on the rug this morning!” he blurted out in a single breath, before he could prevent himself.

You’re dead.

Rarity’s eyes lit up in sheer excitement, and she beamed at him.

Worth it.

“Oh my goodness!” Rarity exclaimed. “How absolutely fantastic, how wonderful for them! Has this happened before?”

Spike shook his head, guiltily. “Not that I know of.” The cat was out of the bag now anyway, so he supposed it could not do any harm to answer further questions.

Rarity dropped her voice, and leaned in conspiratorially. Spike could not help but sigh a little at her proximity, despite the florid and distracting mental image of Twilight angrily tearing up his lifetime’s worth of moustache privileges. “Do you mean they were kissing, or kissing-kissing?” Rarity whispered, face lit up with the joy of a gossip at work.

Spike scratched the back of his head. “There’s a difference?” He shrugged blankly. “The second one, I guess. They were sort of like…” He stuck out his tongue and made vague gurgling sounds with his head on one side, squinting like a cowboy before a gunfight.

Rarity could not help but laugh at the sight. “Hah! Spike, you’re quite the impressionist.”

Spike did not laugh. He looked at the floor, a suddenly irrepressible feeling of guilt rising inside him. He could not believe that he had betrayed Twilight’s trust like this. He hoped with all his might that his lapse of judgment would never find its way to her ears.

“Rarity,” he began, his voice quiet. She looked down at him, her laughter dying in the face of his obvious concern. “Please don’t tell anypony I told you this, Twilight’d kill me.”

Rarity rested a hoof on his shoulder, consolingly. He nearly fainted there and then, but he forced himself to stay upright and listen to what she had to say. “Don’t worry, I won’t breathe a word,” Rarity promised. “You took me into your confidence about this, I won’t betray yours. I truly appreciate that you’d trust me enough to tell me this.”

Like I had a choice, you beautiful, dangerous pony, Spike thought darkly, although he could not help but feel his heart swell proudly at Rarity’s words. He smiled. “Thanks, Rarity. I mean, I was the only one who saw them. If word got out, they’d both know it was me.”

Rarity chuckled. “And with Twilight’s transformation spells at hand, I doubt that such a thing would end well for you.”

Spike nodded, hurriedly. “Exactly. Well, it’s not really that. I don’t think she’d ever hurt me, but… I don’t wanna hurt her, she’s done so much for me. She’s practically my sister.”

They continued walking, and Rarity’s horn beginning to glow as she wove the gem-detection spell. She threw him a reassuring look. “Don’t worry, you can trust me.”

Spike hoped fervently that she was right, but he knew perfectly well that nothing was ever quite so simple.

*

“Alicorn? You mean like the Princess?”

Twilight and Dash had located a pleasant café named 'Trottensons', tucked away in a secluded back alley near the square. It was a cosy little red-painted place, dimly lit and windows curtained, filled with potted plants and hoof-carved wooden ornaments. The two ponies had headed straight for a table as near as possible to the open log fire. They virtually had the place to themselves.

It had taken Twilight quite some time to explain the reasoning of her theory, as their conversation kept getting diverted. They could not help but hold hooves sporadically underneath the table. Occasionally they found themselves simply lapsing into silence, losing themselves in one another’s eyes. For Twilight, it was most distracting, but no less wonderful for it. However, at length, they had arrived at the crux of the matter.

Twilight shook her head, hesitating a moment to swallow her mouthful of her perfectly-cooked tulip au gratin, before replying to Dash’s question. “Not that kind of alicorn,” she explained, “I’m talking about the material that a unicorn’s horn is made from, the material that generates magical energy.”

Dash cocked an eyebrow, halfway through a bowl of tomato and daisy soup. “So you’re telling me… what? That the bones in my wings aren’t really bones at all?”

Twilight nodded. “I’ve not got any concrete proof yet, and obviously I don’t want to start chopping up pegasi to take a look.” They both laughed, finding it comically easy to picture Twilight in such a mad-scientist-esque role. “But I have good reason to believe that pegasi are every bit as magical as unicorns. I believe that your wing-bones are in fact made from alicorn.”

Dash sat back, looking again at her wings as if seeing them in a completely new light. “So, we fly by magic?”

Twilight nodded. “Exactly. It’s much more instinctual than unicorn magic, it requires no study, it comes as naturally as walking to most pegasi. If I’m right, it’s the same magic that allows you to walk on clouds.”

Dash still looked a little skeptical. “So how come we still need to flap our wings if it’s all magic?”

“They’re actualizers,” Twilight said with a cunning grin, leaning forwards.

“Sorry?”

“It’s my belief that pegasi could once fly using your wings alone, and your magic merely augmented your flight. Over time, your magic became more and more dominant, so your wings shrank, no longer needed. But the pegasus instinct still directs you to utilize the same flight motions that you always used in the olden days. In reality, it’s not necessary, but you have a mental link to the physical actions creating the motions, so the actions still create the motions. Although sometimes, the link can be broken in times of stress, leaving flying purely a mental exercise.”

Dash suddenly thumped the table in annoyance. “What?” she exclaimed. “So you’re telling me all those hours doing wing strengthening exercises were for nothing?”

“Actually, they probably did help, but not for the reason you thought they did,” Twilight smiled enigmatically, winking before continuing. “I have a hunch that a pegasus’s flying ability is linked directly to their determination, to their confidence, even to their self-expectation. So, if you expected those exercises to make you better at flying, they probably did. Take the Young Flyer’s Contest for instance. Your confidence was shot to pieces, and you expected yourself to fail. Right up to the last minute, that expectation was making you fail. Then, you went after Rarity. You forgot all about your expectations, about your fears. All of those self-confidence issues, you just forgot about them. All you cared about was going as fast as possible to save your friend, and, well. Look at what you did.”

The warmth and admiration shining in Twilight’s eyes was evident even in the dim flickering of the fire. “And,” she added as an afterthought, “the whole time you were speeding after her, you never flapped your wings once.”

Dash sat back, looking a little shell-shocked as the pieces clicked together in her mind. “Wow,” she said, unable for a moment to come up with anything more erudite. “I need some time to think this over, it all sounds crazy, but I gotta admit, it makes sense. Why hasn’t anypony realized it before? It all seems pretty obvious, when you think about it.”

Twilight laughed. “Everything seems obvious in hindsight.” Her voice dropped, a little sadly. “The truth is, even now, the scholars in Canterlot have very little time for pegasi. Some do, but the majority are hidebound old fools. Not one of the universities would dream of siphoning off their magical research budget into looking at pegasi, and the pegasi themselves don’t often tend towards science. Sometimes I think some ponies are still living in the past.” She sighed, frustrated at the continued existence of such an outdated rift. “Besides,” Twilight shrugged, “pegasi can fly. Pegasi have wings. Why would anypony think to question such an obvious cause-and-effect?”

Dash raised one eyebrow. “So why’d you?”

“As I say, I saw you going after Rarity. It only occurred to me afterwards, I was kind of panicking at the time, but I’d have thought you’d at least need to flap if you wanted to accelerate that much. It intrigued me, It got me thinking. I guess I should thank you for that.”

Dash giggled. “Anytime, Twi’.”

Twilight blushed, smiling shyly. Dash had often called her that in the past, but now it meant something more. It was no longer just a nickname.

Looking down, Twilight realized that her food was rapidly getting cold, and they both fell back to eating, spending a few minutes munching away in comfortable silence. Suddenly, Dash chuckled to herself as a thought occurred to her. “I guess we know why Fluttershy’s not the best of flyers. She’s not exactly got bags of self-confidence.”

Twilight smiled, and was suddenly gripped by curiosity. “You’ve known Fluttershy longer than any of us,” she said, “I was wondering you two were ever…” She felt a bloom of heat in her cheeks. “If you don’t mind me asking.”

Dash cottoned on to what she was getting at. “No!” she exclaimed, then hastened to clarify. “No, nothing like that ever happened between us. I mean, for one thing, she only swings one way. Besides…” she paused for a moment, trying to find the right words. “She’s like a sister to me. Me and Fluttershy are a bit like you and Spike, I could never even think about her in that way.” She rested a gentle hoof on Twilight’s cheek. “And of course I don’t mind you asking, you can ask me anything. I want you to know that.”

Twilight looked back into her magenta eyes, savouring the moment. There was a remarkable sensitivity to the pegasus, invisible to the casual observer, and Twilight felt honoured that Dash trusted her enough to let her shields down and show her this side of her personality, without restraint or fear of mockery.

“Thank you, Dash,” she whispered, kissing her lightly on the lips for a moment, unable to do so for any longer given the presence of the café’s few other patrons. Somepony behind them gave a slightly disapproving cough, but neither of them cared enough to look around for its source. Twilight could taste a lingering sharp flavour from the tomato in the soup that Dash was eating, and she could see her own longing echoed in Dash’s face. “Later,” she murmured, smiling a little suggestively at Dash, whose face coloured, looking simultaneously ecstatic and a little pained.

“Are you okay?” Twilight asked Dash in concern, seeing her distracted expression.

Dash’s face went redder, and she appeared to be concentrating hard. “You’re not makin’ this easy on the wings, Twi’, I’d only just got them behaving.”

Twilight blushed too, but could not help but grin as she realized what Dash was getting at. “I’m flattered,” she said with a little laugh.

“What can I say? Seems you have that effect on me,” Dash smirked, apparently having managed to get her wings under control.

The pegasus finished the last of her soup with a slurp, Twilight having taken the last bite of tulip a few moments previously. “Good find, this place,” Twilight remarked.

“Mmm, the soup was great,” Dash agreed. “Do ya think we should split the bill?”

Twilight waved a hoof dismissively, trying and failing to spot a waiter to call over. “Don’t worry about it, I’ve got this.”

“But-” Dash began to protest but Twilight hushed her. She received a generous allowance from the Princess, and it would easily cover this meal.

“It’s fine, really.”

“You’ve already done so much for me these last couple of days!”

Twilight gripped Dash’s hoof tightly between both of her own forehooves, looking her in the eye. “You’ve done just as much for me,” she said with complete sincerity. “It’s fine, honestly.” They looked at one another for a moment, both hoping that the other could feel the same sense of completeness.

“Thanks, ‘Twi,” Dash replied simply, smiling warmly at her. Twilight smiled back, something unfathomable and beautiful in her eyes.

As much as Dash herself had changed over the last few days, in her eyes the unicorn sitting across the table had undergone just as much of a transformation. From what had begun as a simple crush, she now felt a genuine connection. She knew how rapidly these feelings had developed, but she could not question them. She felt no presumption or dishonesty in calling these feelings love. Twilight had made her better, woken her up, brought her back to herself. More than that, she offered kindness and love untainted by judgment. Falling in love with her had been more natural than breathing, and Dash promised herself, there and then, that she would do her utmost to be worthy of the mare that had fallen into her life.

For the first time, she felt that she might be up to the challenge. For the first time, she met Twilight’s gaze, and felt that she was home.