• Published 23rd Dec 2011
  • 26,607 Views, 1,765 Comments

A Bluebird's Song - Ardensfax



Rainbow Dash is struggling against her own past. Is it time for her rising star to fall?

  • ...
58
 1,765
 26,607

Above The Rain

A Bluebird’s Song

~~~
But when you fly above the clouds
And they fade away to silence there’s regret again
When you look down at the clouds
And know that your whole world’s beneath them
An eternity away upon the ground
~~~

Above The Rain

One day before the record attempt.

*

“Look! There it is!”

With the aid of a final gust of wind, the balloon’s envelope burst through the top of the cloud bank, ragged strands of residual vapour trailing out behind. The four ponies in the basket shielded their eyes at the sudden burst of unadulterated sunlight, momentarily blinding them after the damp, misty darkness of the cloud layer. As soon as her eyes had adjusted to the light, Pinkie Pie was leaning excitedly over the edge, pointing with a hoof at the familiar silhouette of Cloudsdale, its towers and streets glistening in the glaring morning sun.

A moment after the emergence of the balloon, two heads belonging Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy appeared from the foggy surface of the cloudy ocean below them, followed swiftly by the rest of the pegasi. They had both opted out of travelling in the already-cramped basket, deciding instead to fly under their own steam and escort the balloon. Dash shook her head in order to dislodge a few wisps of cloud that were stuck in her mane. “Good job you guys punched a hole with the balloon,” she noted. “That lot woulda been a nightmare to dig through.”

“Whoa, Nelly!” exclaimed Applejack, clamping her hat down with a nervous hoof as a gust of turbulence shook the basket. “I ain’t much for this flyin’ business.”

This was perfectly true; out of the four ponies who could not fly without the aid of the balloon, Applejack was distinctly the most wary, and the most relieved to get her hooves back on solid ground.

Twilight pointed eagerly, caught up in the excitement of the moment. “I can see the Cloudiseum!”

“How fabulous,” remarked Rarity, her voice a little lackluster due to her leftover sulkiness. She had repeatedly hinted that morning that she would rather like a reinstatement of the gossamer wings she had been given the last time she visited the pegasus city. Twilight, however, had put her hoof down. This was partly because Rarity’s presence had hardly helped Dash’s nerves last time, but mostly due to the fact that she had severe doubts as to the spell’s safety. The book had not mentioned spontaneous combustion as an inherent feature of the wings, and Twilight did not want a repeat performance of the previous year. Frankly, she thought that she had enough to worry about as it was. Rarity had, albeit a little grudgingly, agreed to join the others in having the cloud-walking spell cast on them.

Leaning back into the basket, Pinkie deftly rotated manipulated the controls on the burner to keep the balloon from rising any further, her tongue between her teeth as she concentrated. Twilight was not entirely sure where Pinkie had learned to control a hot air balloon, but thought it better not to ask.

“Where do you think we should land?” Twilight called across to Dash, who steered herself closer to the balloon.

The pegasus shrugged, raising her voice to make herself heard over the sound of the wind. “There’s loads of places you can tether it up. Try to get close to the hotel if ya want, but don’t go smashing into any buildings.”

“I’ll do my best,” deadpanned Twilight, checking that the wind was blowing them in the right direction.

“Um, Twi’?” Applejack looked a little concerned. “Aren’t we goin’ kinda fast? These things ain’t got brakes, y’know.”

“We’ll be fine,” Twilight turned to the burner, running a cursory eye over the controls. “It’s a lot windier than last time. If we need, we can drop a rope out and Dash can slow us down.”

As it turned out, they did not need assistance. The landing went as smoothly as could have been expected, Twilight opting to set the balloon down on a spray of cloud just above a square with direct roads to both the Cloudiseum and the Hotel Zephyr, both of which were within reasonable walking distance. As soon as their craft touched down, Twilight leapt out, landing on the amorphous cloud surface with a soft thump. She unwound a rope from the inside of the basket with a flick of her glowing horn, and drove the enchanted mooring spike into the surface of the cloud. She had enchanted the metal stave that morning so that it adhered to cloud until it was magically released, and it ensured that the balloon would stay safely where it was, without blowing away.

Applejack was the second out of the basket, her occasional mistrust of magic apparently outweighed by her desire to get her hooves back on a reasonably solid surface. Her expression was one of slight trepidation as she landed on the cloud, but the cloud-walking spell held firm.

“Are you okay, Applejack?” Twilight enquired, seeing the look of barely-suppressed fear on the earth pony’s face.

“Ah’m a mite bad with heights, if ya want the truth,” she admitted, peering nervously over the edge of the cloud and wincing at the sight of the river-crossed patchwork of fields, several miles beneath them.

Rarity trotted up alongside Applejack, also chancing a look over the edge, with some trepidation. “I must say, I never had a problem with heights myself,” she noted, a slight shake in her voice. “My little plummet the last time I was here clearly changed that.” She smiled at Twilight, a little guiltily. “You were right, it’s probably best that I don’t have those wings back. I’d be terrified, to be honest, knowing they might evaporate any second.”

Dash rolled her eyes, alighting on the cloud beside them in time to catch Rarity’s words. “Good job Twi’s got a bit of foresight, isn’t it?” she noted, smirking.

“Well, it’s easy for you, you can fly without worrying about your wings dropping off,” Rarity shot back, although it was obvious that she was too wrapped up in the experience of being back in Cloudsdale to be genuinely annoyed.

“So,” piped up Pinkie, “where are we headed first?”

“Well,” replied Twilight, “I was thinking we should check into the hotel, make sure everything’s okay there, and then we can look around the city a little.”

“Remember,” Dash murmured to her, drawing her to one side and keeping her voice low. “I need to head to Canterlot later today.”

Twilight nodded. “Shouldn’t be a problem, I imagine we’ll all split up at some point, so you shouldn’t be missed.” She suddenly looked thoughtful. “Do you want me to come with you?”

Dash shook her head. “Thanks Twi’, but I’ll be fine. This feels like the kind of thing I need to do on my own.”

“I understand,” said Twilight, smiling a little nervously. “Try not to get yourself in trouble over there.”

Dash laughed. “What? And let down my audience here tomorrow? No chance.”

*

The six ponies walked trotted together into the opulent lobby of the Hotel Zephyr, all of them looking around, obviously impressed. Celestia had most certainly done them a favour by securing them lodgings here. It was built in the eye-catching style common in Cloudsdale high society, a world away from the open-plan houses and factories constructed from raw cloud matter. The walls were made of cirrus cloud that had been beaten smooth and layered, giving an almost marble-like quality, and several crystalline chandeliers hung from the high ceiling. Twilight was surprised to notice that they were walking on actual carpet, and surmised that it must have been made specially in Canterlot, enchanted by its makers to prevent the moisture from the cloud below leaking through and spoiling it.

Rarity’s eyes were practically glowing as she turned to smile at Fluttershy, her designer’s enthusiasm for beauty overpowering her earlier annoyance. “This is some place, isn’t it?”

Fluttershy giggled, equally impressed. “It’s funny, when I was growing up here, Cloudsdale seemed so big and damp and sprawling. Ever since I visited the ground I couldn’t wait to be able to live there, but this… It’s amazing.”

Rarity nodded in agreement, and turned back to take in more of her surroundings. A few moments later, Fluttershy realized that she was still gazing at the white unicorn, almost entranced. She realized what she was doing, and blinked in surprise.

What’s going on? I’m not like this! I might have feelings for her, but I don’t eye ponies up when they’re not looking! I’ve not even looked at anypony in that way for years, let alone my friends…Why is it her, particularly? And why is she suddenly so… hypnotizing?

She shook her head, looking around to try and distract herself, her cheeks a little red. Then, a possible answer struck her.

You suppressed your feelings for so long. Imagine if you’d trapped yourself in the desert for days. When you get out, just think how amazing water suddenly tastes.

But why her? If that’s true, then why aren’t I getting these… thoughts about everypony?

You and Rarity fit together like pieces of a puzzle. You’re both intelligent, creative ponies with an eye for the artistic. Most importantly, neither of you have had enough kindness shown to you in your lives, and you both love to be kind. It’s the perfect balance. You’d both be truly happy. Face it, Fluttershy. If you weren’t so blinded by fear, you’d have fallen for her years ago.

It sounds so easy. Why am I finding it so hard to go through with?

Fluttershy, I’m the one you made, so you’d have somepony to talk to. I’m the one you go to for answers when the walls start closing in. But at the end of the day, I’m still you. I don’t have all the answers, but think about this: What if you’re afraid of happiness? The happier you are, the more you have to lose. You can’t live your life like that. Sure, there’s no such thing as certainty in something as complicated as this, but the dice are in your hooves. They always have been. Maybe it’s time to roll them.

Fluttershy blinked, realizing that she had zoned out again. The others had gone on ahead, and Twilight had finished confirming their bookings at the reception desk. Rarity looked concernedly back over her shoulder, noticing the pegasus standing halfway down the lobby. “Fluttershy? Are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” Fluttershy caught up quickly with the others, embarrassed at her momentary loss of reality. “Sorry about that, I just had a bit of a moment.”

Rarity looked set to enquire further, but Dash trotted excitedly over at that moment, holding her room key in her mouth, and passing similar ones to Fluttershy and Rarity. She dropped her own key into a pocket on her saddlebag so that she could talk properly. “Come on, guys! Let’s check out the suites, they sound awesome!” She turned, heading for the wide, sweeping staircase at a canter.

Twilight shook her head in amusement, smiling as the rest of them began to follow at a more leisurely pace.

“She seems pretty fired up for tomorrow,” noted Pinkie, her voice one of uncharacteristic thoughtfulness.

“You could say that,” smirked Twilight, although she could not keep a slight undertone of worry from her words. She knew that Dash took the risks of the attempt with utmost seriousness, but the unicorn did not have the kind of mind that could leave a problem alone without stressing over it. The best she could do was to hope that her fears were unfounded.

*

The rooms were as impressive as the price tag implied. Twilight followed Dash into their suite, whilst the others entered their own and began unpacking their saddlebags. Her horn flared momentarily, closing the door behind them, and she looked around with interest.

The room was expansive, with a balcony boasting a picturesque view of the city; the not-too-distant Cloudiseum dominating the skyline. The double bed was a four-poster canopied affair. The duvet was regular, but the mattress itself was made from cloud. Twilight smiled when she saw this, realizing that she would finally get a chance to see if clouds were really as comfortable to sleep on as Dash had always described.

Hearing her come in, the cyan pegasus turned from admiring the view, and trotted over to give her a hug. “It’s good to be back in Cloudsdale,” she said, contentedly. “Funny, when I was a kid here we lived in an apartment block, down there, in the eastern end of town, above the factories. I’d look up at the towers and the places like this, and I’d wonder if I’d ever be up here, looking down on the city.”

“Doesn’t it hurt to come back here?” Twilight asked, knowing that Dash’s youth, spent in this very city, had been the worst years of her life.

Dash shrugged. “I grew up here. It never really felt like home, but it’s familiar. It’s weird, really. Nostalgia must be a pretty powerful thing to make me feel good about this place.” She sighed. “Maybe if I stayed here too long the bad memories might start comin’ back. Maybe that’s why I never wanted to move back here.” She pulled her head back a little to smile at Twilight. “You know, the library feels more like home than this place ever did. It’s the one place I’ve ever really felt safe.” She was silent for a few seconds, her eyes thoughtful. “To be honest, it’s the only place I’ve ever really been able to call home.”

Twilight leaned in, her voice barely above a whisper, feeling her lover sigh a little at the bloom of breath against her sensitive ear. “To me, it always felt homely, but now it’s just an empty treehouse when you’re not there… Oh, I don’t know how to put it without sounding silly or cheesy. You… you make me something more than just flesh and bone. Wherever you are, Rainbow, that’s home to me.”

Their eyes locked for a moment, a gentle but infinitely strong simpatico shared and reinforced between them. Each of them knew that she understood the other perfectly. Twilight was a realist, some might even say a cynic. She shied from belief in predestination or significance. She had accepted a long time ago that, regardless of her abilities or achievements, she was simply one pony among millions. She had accepted that she was a tiny, insignificant speck who would all too soon evaporate into the morass around her and be forgotten. At that moment, however, she was glad of that. The bond she shared with Dash was not predestined, or prophesied, or even expected. They were simply two ponies in the background of the whirling world, who had found each other in the darkness. The connection they had forged was forged by them, and them alone. To Twilight, that was true magic.

Their lips met like old friends, the kiss soft and sure. They did not rush, the contact playing out slowly and sweetly. Twilight felt the insistent slow-burn of desire rising inside her, and the familiar arcs of electricity leaping down her spine. She sensed the pegasus’s breath playing across her face, and was aware of each slight shiver that passed though her lover’s body as they rose instinctually onto their hind legs to pull each other closer. Dash took a few slow steps backwards to lean against the wall for stability, with Twilight mirroring her motions. They stayed like that for several long moments, each content to simply share the other’s presence. Dash began taking the initiative and shifted slightly, raising her hind leg to wrap sensually around Twilight’s flank, feeling the unicorn sigh throatily through their kiss.

To their mutual annoyance, there was a hesitant knock at the door. They broke apart, sharing a brief but longing glance, before turning to see who was there. “We can pick this up later,” Dash whispered in Twilight’s ear, her voice low and smouldering. Twilight shivered, as much at the promising tone of the words as the words themselves.

She nodded, flashing a faux-bashful smile over her shoulder, and went to get the door. To their surprise, it was Fluttershy, who was pawing nervously at the carpet in apparent apprehension. She noticed Twilight’s flushed complexion and, after a moment, blushed herself, evidently putting two and two together. “Oh, hello Twilight,” she said, her voice scarcely audible. “I’m sorry, I hope I’m not… interrupting…” The bloom on her cheeks deepened in shade at the last word.

Twilight smiled, doing her best to put the nervous pegasus at her ease. “It’s not a problem, Fluttershy. Are you okay?”

“I… I just wanted to talk to Dash, I need to ask her something.”

“Ask away, ‘Shy,” replied Dash, trotting over.

Twilight turned, sensing that it was a personal matter. She knew that Fluttershy would be a lot more comfortable with just her and Dash. “I’ll see how the others are getting on with their unpacking.”

Fluttershy nodded, gratefully. It wasn’t that she did not trust Twilight. Quite the opposite, in fact. She would trust the unicorn with her life, but her natural shyness made it difficult for her to talk about personal matters with an audience of more than one.

The door closed behind Twilight, and Dash turned to hear what Fluttershy had to say. The canary pegasus looked troubled, almost guilty.

“So, what’s up?”

Fluttershy looked at the floor, and swallowed. “It’s… it’s about Rarity again.”

“What’s happened?” Dash’s eyes narrowed, suspiciously. “Is she pestering you, trying to make you change your mind? Do you need me to talk to her?”

“Oh, no, of course not!” Fluttershy shook her head, hurriedly leaping to Rarity’s defence. “She’d never do something like that.” She sighed, deciding that it was best to get this over and done with. She did not know if Dash would be angry with her, or simply think she was a fool. Either way, she would have to take it. “I’m sorry, Rainbow. I’ve been lying to everypony; myself most of all.”

Dash raised an eyebrow, not seeing what she was getting at. “What d’ya mean?”

“I was afraid. I’ve always seen love as something that just sets you up for a fall. I spent so much of my life shielding myself from love, I just stopped being able to feel it. It’s only now I see how much I’ve been hurting myself, now it’s too late.” She looked up, meeting Dash’s eyes a little fearfully. “I do have feelings for Rarity. It’s all far too early and confusing to call them love, but I feel like I could fall in love with her.” She paused, searching her thoughts. “I want to fall in love with her.”

Defying Fluttershy’s expectations, Dash grinned. She seemed genuinely happy for Fluttershy. “That’s awesome,” she said, sincerely. “You’re getting beyond Flight School at last. That place messed us both up, ‘Shy. Twilight’s healed me, and maybe Rarity can do the same for you.”

Fluttershy felt her eyes well up, partly from relief that Dash was understanding of her situation, but mostly sadness at the opportunities she had missed. “But it’s too late,” she repeated. “I told her that I wasn’t interested. I broke her heart, Rainbow. I can’t just walk up to her and tell her that I’ve changed my mind. She’d think I was incredibly fickle. No, worse than that, she’d think I was incredibly cruel. I hurt her because I gave in to my fears; I let her down rather than take a risk myself. What kind of kindness is that?” She shook her head, inwardly-directed anger distorting her face. “I don’t deserve a pony like her in my life.”

Dash knew what the other pegasus was feeling. She had gone through it herself, not so long ago. “Fluttershy, look at me,” she said, gently. Her friend raised her glistening eyes from the floor, reluctantly meeting Dash’s. “The past doesn’t matter. What matters is how ya react to the past, and what ya do to build your future. Sure, you can give up now, you can walk away from her, and you’ll regret it for the rest of your life. You and Rarity are perfect together, I’ve thought it a million times. I know you, and I know how brave you can be. I know you deserve her, no matter what you say.”

Fluttershy nodded, although she did not seem entirely convinced. “Maybe you’re right,” she conceded. “But if I walk away now, if I give up, that’s when I stop deserving her.” She snorted in sheer frustration. “But what do I say to her? What can I possibly say that doesn’t make me look like I’m doing this on a whim?”

Dash shrugged. “Just tell her what you told me. Tell her about your past, tell her your reasons. I didn’t think you were being fickle, did I?” She smiled at Fluttershy. “She’ll understand. All ya need to do now is work up the courage.”

Fluttershy closed her eyes, as if making a decision that she knew she may come to regret. “Fine,” she said at length. “I’ll do it, but I’ll wait for us to get back to Ponyville first. I can’t do it here, in a strange city, with the risk you’ll be taking tomorrow hanging over me. I’ll ask her over to my cottage one evening, and I’ll explain everything to her and hope that she forgives me.” She sighed. “It’s not perfect, but it’s the best I can do.” She smiled at Dash, weakly, her eyes still not quite dry. “Thanks for the help, Rainbow,” she added, gratefully. She bestowed a brief hug to the cyan pegasus, and turned to admire the view from the balcony.

"Anytime, 'Shy," Dash smiled. “Some view, isn't it?” she remarked, turning with Fluttershy and gazing out across the cloudscape panorama. Both pairs of eyes were drawn inexorably to the Cloudiseum, lying almost broodingly on the edge of the city. It seemed to pull at them with a cold inevitability, and for almost the first time Dash felt a cold bite of apprehension in the pit of her stomach.

“Good luck,” Fluttershy said, her voice very quiet and a little fearful. There was no question about what she referring to.

“Thanks, ‘Shy, but It’ll be fine. I’ll be fine.”

Dash shifted her gaze beyond the Cloudiseum, to a bank of dueling storm-clouds on the distant horizon. The lightning forked and fell, peppering the earth below with shattering blades of arcing light. From this height, the sky seemed so alive. The sky was calling to her, and she knew that she had to obey. In the furthest distance, half-obscured by misty rolls of cloud, stood the mountain on whose slopes the city of Canterlot was built. Her sister was in that city, the one pony who held the key to the final piece of her history.

She turned from the window, intent on finding Twilight to tell her where she was going. The past was not so foreign to her; she could see the way it affected lives, long after its events had faded into memory. It was time for the past to be made to justify what it had done to her.

She turned back momentarily, fixing the distant mountain with a determined glare. No longer would she simply accept what fate and history threw her way. She had an appointment to keep.