• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 13,713 Views, 1,965 Comments

The War of 1002 - Fireheart 1945



A young man with a love of military history and MLP;FIM finds himself dragged into Equestria.

  • ...
85
 1,965
 13,713

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 93; Interval

James dipped his chocolate-frosted glazed donut into his cup of milk before taking a bite out of it. As Equestrian sweets usually were, this one was delicious.

"How'r things goin' fellas?" Pony Joe asked.

"Pretty well, given that the trial is the absolute center of peace and harmony," James said sarcastically.

"That bad, huh?"

"Ugh, buddy, you've got no idea," Shining said, biting into a chocolate donut.

"Infernal trial," James said once the unicorn patron of the bar had walked off. "I almost want to be back on the field being shot at again."

"And being shot?"

James felt his previous wounds pinch slightly. "I suppose not, but I'd rather this mess be over."

"Hey, it will be. Just a couple more days, maybe three."

"And those will be... fire on earth to get through. Chrysalis and the ex-king aren't sorry for what they did, and aren't denying it. They're going out of their way to cause trouble. We have the evidence. Jug 'em already."

"I thought you once told me you were someone who supported the law?"

"I do, don't get me wrong. It's good overall that this is being done." James downed the rest of his glass of milk. "I just hate feeling mentally like a piece of wood being given the sandpaper treatment."

"I've had that same thought myself."

"Why? You were aiming for the Royal Guard from the start."

"Trust me, I had several interests before I came to that decision." The stallion levitated his own glass to his lips and sipped from it. "I was, well, a nerd before joining the Guard. I loved comic books, playing role-playing and tabletop games, reading about the lore of the games, I played... all I was missing were a pair of glasses."

James chuckled. "So what else did you consider?"

"Honestly, it probably would have still involved the Guard; not sure just what. Blacksmithing was always a possibility. What would your second choice for a job be?"

"When I was a kid, it was a steam loco engineer. My dream job. Trains were my idol at that stage of my life. Glad I grew out of the idol phase, but I still love trains, especially model railroads."

"So why the interest in the military?"

"After the War on Terror started, my interest in the military began. I guess that's when my patriotism began to really emerge as well. I became interested in history, especially the history of America's wars. I swear, I thought the South would win the Civil War if I failed to read a book on the topic all the way through. In any case, that's that story in a nutshell."

"I... see. Maybe... Actually, not very much. You lost me."

"Don't be embarrassed; you don't know a whole lot about my world." James downed his glass. "Another donut would be nice."

"I think Pony Joe's still checking his stock."

"Well, bother."

There came the sound of the door to the shop opening. Both of them turned around.

"Oh, don't get up on my account," Princess Celestia said, laughing slightly as both of them moved to do just that. "I'm just here on break, as you are."

Both relaxed. "What's going on, Your Highness?" Shining asked.

"Mainly, I want to escape the trial, same as you. And the burden of ruling."

"No plans to retire, I hope?"

Celestia chuckled. "Oh, it's not that burdensome. Yes, the bureaucracy and law-making and paperwork are annoying, but keeping my subjects safe, free, fed, and well educated gives me more joy than the problems of office take away. In any case, ever since Twilight and her friends visited this shop, I've come down every now and again; the donuts are delicious."

"Glad ta hear ya say so, Ya Highness," Pony Joe said, returning from his store. "Always a pleasure."

"The pleasure is all mine. Especially the pleasure of my taste buds and stomach."

"Heh. Don't eat so much that ya get fat; wouldn't want that."

"Oh, you know me, Pony Joe; I'm careful."

"So, what'll it be?"

"A couple chocolate crullers and a strawberry-covered glazed donut, if you will. Oh, and a small bottle of milk to go with it."

"Coming right up."

Celestia conjured up several bits and left them on the counter. "Keep the change." Turning to James and Shining, she asked, "Would you mind accompanying me to the booth in the corner?"

"No problem, Your Highness," Shining answered swiftly.

"Yep," James replied, nibbling a bit of donut as he got up.

All three went to the booth Celestia had talked about, and sat down.

"Now," the Princess said, levitating a donut near her mouth, "I would like to discuss military affairs a bit with you."

"So long as it's not the trial," James muttered.

"It's not, or not directly. I've gotten reports from the new Confederacy, and our occupying forces."

"Ah," James said. "What's up?"

Celestia's mouth moved downward. "Unfortunately, a few royalists are willing to continue to protest for their former sovereign. They haven't done anything criminal, at least not yet, but as I said, there have been protests, and there haven been incidents of individuals walking off their jobs when their bosses or co-workers were too revolutionary. Since you, James, know about the aftermath of wars, how do you think we should solve the problem."

"You know, given that that's within the military scope of things, I'm almost happy to be at work again." James sighed even so. "I think that a careful watch should be put on them. Make sure they aren't committing crimes. At the same time, given that these holdouts are the last handful of loyalists to the former crown, I'm tempted to say that their protests mean nothing, as with striking or leaving their jobs. I feel I would be lax in my duty to say that, though; many 'insignificant' rebellions, whether fought for good or evil causes, became rather significant, sometimes quickly. I wouldn't want to encroach on the liberties of monarchists. I would hope they come to recognize that the liberty they now have is at odds with the very one they claim loyalty to. At the same time, we would be fools to dismiss the danger entirely."

"I see nothing much to add, Princess," Shining put in. "We should not break the law ourselves in keeping them from causing trouble, but not shy away from using force if they do attempt an active, rather than passive, revolt."

"I agree," the Princess said, taking a minute to eat her donut. "However, there is an argument to be made that arresting them immediately would prevent crime, or revolt, later."

"Doing so would forfeit the moral high ground," James replied. "You can't just arrest someone because they might cause trouble."

Shining gave him a nudge, but James pretended not to notice.

"And what if they do?"

"Then we take them down. But to arrest someone for their political views alone? That's off the table."

"James!" Shining whispered loudly. "You can't say that to a Princess!"

"I can. An earthly ruler, ruling over other people in this life, should not be above the law."

Celestia chuckled. "I'm not offended, Shining. And frankly, I prefer ponies - and other species - to say what they mean rather than try and duck the issue. I'm over twelve hundred years old; I can take some lese majesty and be absolutely fine."

"Is there anything more significant? Perhaps actual resistance?"

Celestia's face fell again. "Yes, some. A lot of griffons who living in the paths of our advancing armies still hold a grudge, enough to verbally - and sometimes physically - assault ponies they encounter. I'm glad to say that most of the time our soldiers manage to brush off the verbal insults they receive. And in some clans - ones whose territory we didn't occupy before the surrender - some of the griffons there have been arrogant, thinking that the king gave up too easily and that if only they had been there that they could have made a difference."

"Folly," Shining said, looking disgusted.

"Foolhardy, yes... and it could be classified purely as such if a number of our soldiers weren't found dead or wounded in the streets of some villages."

"Uh oh," James muttered. "Well, we did consider that some clans may resist."

"That's the problem; the clan leadership have all denounced the attacks and disavowed anything to do with them. As far as we can tell, they didn't, but individual villages and villagers are still defiant, even to the point of violence."

"We need to make a show of force," James said. "Make it clear who won. Have tanks roll through a village if necessary. And bring in our intelligence services to find who the killers are and arrest them. And, as with the royalists, keep an eye on the defiant guys while not infringing upon their liberties, unless they actually attempt to engage in a hostile, violent manner. Words from teenagers who don't know any better aren't going to kill fresh troops; bullets and knives can."

"Again, I agree. However, how do we stop revolts before they can happen?"

"One way is to make it clear the Confederacy is its own government, not a puppet state. The fewer ponies and coalition soldiers doing the policing, the better. I think that, after the Empire's murderous attempt to gain power, most clan leaders will be willing to police their own towns."

"But those same soldiers could sympathize with the rebellious villagers."

"That's a risk, but as I said, I think that most leaders will, for the time being, see that attacking Allied troops will lead to disaster, and will pick soldiers who obey orders to maintain the law. I'm not saying we should give up the occupation entirely; we said we'd occupy them partially, and we have to stick to that promise. And we would be opening ourselves up to... unexpected surprises, if we don't keep an eye on things. However, we need to trust that the Griffon Confederacy will be able to take care of itself. And we can engage in ways to counter the insurgents by offering a carrot approach. By improving infrastructure, agriculture, and healthcare, and by... pressuring... clans into choosing good leaders and administrators, we can undercut the rebels' reason for resisting. Given that our troops will be gone within a year or so, and reminding them of these facts as well as doing the things I've suggested, we can both minimize our footprint while making sure the population gets behind the current government."

"What if we do all this, and this insurgent warfare goes on anyway?"

"Then the rebels will undermine themselves. If they're killing their own clansmen - I mean, griffons, then their own people will be against them. Insurgents need the people's support if they hope to thrive. Otherwise, without anyone to supply and hide them, they really will just be reduced to banditry, and that's a manageable problem." He paused. "Frankly, the only other route is to go all in on occupation, with checkpoints and intrusive searches and doing other things that will only make us look like the bad guys to more and more griffons, giving the insurgents greater support among the populace. We did promise in the peace treaty to aid them in reconstruction efforts and to rebuild parts of their country that we damaged during our counter-invasion."

"We did; I remember that meeting well." Celestia paused as well, looking at the ceiling for a moment as she finished off the donut. "I think that the carrot approach you've suggested will be our best way forward. If we promote harmony, we can't be harsh on the defeated. That said, we need to continue to appear strong in this situation."

"No doubt," James agreed. "We can't give up on occupation, nor make it look like we've gone soft. We simply let the griffons slide slowly into the position of self governance under the new system while still making our presence felt, enough so to make it clear we won't tolerate any return to the previous system of Imperial government. Not that most of them are eager for it, but we do need to make that clear to the radicals."

Celestia was silent for a few minutes. She sipped from her bottle a couple of times. Shining continued eating as well, though James could see at a glance that he was slightly nervous.

At last, the Princess nodded. "I think that policy has some wisdom behind it. My sister, Cadence, and I will keep our own council on this, but we should try at least some of these things you've advised."

"It's part of what you've hired me to do."

"Indeed."

The door to the bar opened again.

"Well, two Princesses in one day," Pony Joe said from behind the counter. "Whaddya want, Princess Luna? Cherry-filled? Honey-covered? Haydonut?"

"Thank you for the kind greeting and offering, but We have matters of importance to discuss with Our Sister and Our generals."

"Well, then, I'll leave ya to it."

Luna walked over to the table and sat down. "We, er, I, have worries."

"We all have them," Celestia said, gesturing patiently with a hoof. "What's particularly on your mind?"

"We believe that the trial is going to result in a guilty verdict, and soon. We know so much of what each of the main defendants did that it's hardly surprising. And people want blood. Especially the griffons. Not to mention Our own ponies want Chrysalis' head. Of course, the other changeling Queens may want it more. I've heard some of the jury say they want to conclude immediately, feeling that they have all the evidence necessary to, in the modern phrasing, 'book 'em.'"

"A verdict after less than a week?"

"Yes. We are worried; this could be said to be hasty, and We do not want history to claim that the trial was rigged from the start."

"They'll say it anyway," James said.

"Yes, most likely, but a verdict this soon will reek to an outside world of a farce."

Celestia frowned. "What about the secondary trials? The ones for lesser criminals and common soldiers caught breaking the laws of war?"

"Each so far has been short, with several miniature trials every day. Most defendants thus far have been found guilty, including one who shot surrendering pony Gatling gunners. Yet there are at least a hundred more to judge, and the speed of the verdicts leaves me uncomfortable."

"We won't be leaving any unturned stones, Luna. That I promise you."

"Such has been the case thus far. In Our - my - opinion, we should continue for at least another week after this week is over with."

Celestia turned toward James.

James closed his eyes and allowed his head to rest upon his hand for a moment. "I think it is a valid concern. We need to maintain the trial's legitimacy. As much as I feel this trial is a grind, I think we need to do more, and make this last long enough for all the evidence to be presented. Though I'd prefer to be able to know on what specific days I'll be called as a witness and not have to attend every moment."

"I don't blame you for feeling that way, and I don't see the latter as an impossibility. And I think both you and Luna are right, we need this trial to not only be legitimate, but also have the appearance of legitimacy."

"I would also like the inspect the army and the research and development for it," James requested. "I want to know how it may fare in coming years."

"That's reasonable, and again part of your job. I'll have some of our military R&D ponies give you a tour of their facility here."

"Thank you."

"And I think I can have Twilight find you whenever you're needed in court, assuming you're called up as a witness, provided you tell us where you're going to be at the time."

"I can do that, thanks again."

"It's no problem. I feel that grind too, believe it or not. After ruling for twelve hundred years, you tend to be able to hide your emotions easily, but they're still there, boiling below."

"Nothing I can say to that."

"We think we should all take tomorrow off anyway," Luna suggested. "The immature folly of these grown-up children is getting absurd, as is the lack of control others ought to have."

"And I thought you were to one pushing for justice, dear Sister."

"We are. But a good recess might clear our minds somewhat."

"Why have you started using the Royal We again, if I may ask?"

"We decided it is part of what makes Us unique. Though I might be willing to lay it down occasionally in a less formal setting."

"This is a less formal setting."

"Hmm."

"What do you expect Chrysalis to say in her own defense?" Shining asked.

Celestia's mouth again wavered. "Given her subject's - forced - testimony, I would wager she'll answer in the same vein as Raneiro. She'll defend her brutal actions and orders, though as Queen she obviously had much more freedom in her own decisions."

"Not much we can do about that," James sighed. "One thing that makes this easier is that these deposed rulers are making our job easy for us; they seem to revel in their actions, instead of trying to lie and obscure the truth."

"Indeed," Luna agreed. "They show no remorse or repentance, though, which I think we'd all prefer."

"Not me," Shining replied, voice and face grim. "I hope Chrysalis burns."

"And how does that exemplify friendship and harmony, dear Shining Armor?" the Lunar Princess asked. "While I am all for justice myself, it is unbefitting our national values and honor to wish for the death of the wicked. It is preferable by far that they be sorrowful and show signs of reform."

Shining sighed. "I know, Princess. I just... can't... easily forgive her for imprisoning my wife and trying to marry me while trying to take over the whole kingdom."

"We know. But for Our sakes and that of the kingdom, please try."

"I... make no promises I'll succeed, but I'll try."

"That's something that's bothered me," James said, sipping his glass. "Why are you Princesses, and not Queens, if this is a kingdom?"

Celestia and Luna both looked down at the table for a moment.

"I suppose that is a good question, and an understandable one," Celestia finally answered. "Our mother was killed in an accident while we were still teenagers, and our father died as we were coming of age, struck down by illness. I know you'll ask about the alicorn agelessness we display, and why we weren't born sooner, but the answer to that lies with them, I'm afraid."

"After Father died," Luna continued, "We were obviously next in line to inherit the crown. We were still grief stricken, and resented being called 'Queen' out of respect for our beloved mother. As a result, We preferred to retain the title of 'Princess.' Simply put, after Our coronation We simply never updated our titles, and since We've been Princesses for 1,200 years now, We have no desire to change Our titles."

"I'm sorry," James and Shining said almost simultaneously.

"Don't be," Celestia said, looking up. "Neither of you were born at that time and could have done nothing to stop our parents from dying. We've come to terms with our loss, or at least we convince ourselves of that the vast majority of the time."

"Not to mention We had friends, both then and now, to help Us in those times when Our grief over their loss comes back to Us," Luna went on. "We may lose friends over the ages, and that is a terrible thing, but We make new friends, and try to promote the values of friendship and harmony so that others may know joy."

"No joy comes from this trial," James said, finishing his glass.

"Perhaps not, but at least those responsible for inflicting evil upon Our land and their own will receive their just desserts, and hopefully others will learn from the example made to not do these evils in the future."

James raised a donut in lieu of his empty glass. "May it be so."

The others all followed suit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Thank you all for your patience and for putting up with my slothfulness in getting a new chapter out. video gaming, procrastination, college....

You know what? Ugh. I just don't feel the same fervor for this story that I once did. I hate that, and the slow going (not to mention having eight other new story chapters constantly tabbed up next to this one, all awaiting an update). I would like to re-invigorate my love of writing (namely for this story), but I'm not sure how to go about it. I am undertaking an English class currently that goes over literature/film/media and the various aspects of stories and storymaking, so hopefully that helps the quality improve over time. My main focus regarding writing lately (as in, over the past year or so) has been one-shots that mirror historical events, though other types may arise soon.

May the Lord Jesus Christ save you all, and may He watch over you.

PreviousChapters Next