• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 13,707 Views, 1,965 Comments

The War of 1002 - Fireheart 1945



A young man with a love of military history and MLP;FIM finds himself dragged into Equestria.

  • ...
85
 1,965
 13,707

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 7; Training begins

The walk to the camp was uneventful. The rest of the week passed by in the same way; James had to oversee the camp as it was being built, he ate, slept, drank, and discussed further engineering plans with Blue Fur; the bluish pony had many ideas, and not all of them were architectural; it turned out, he had had jobs in mining and in digging. James hoped he wouldn't leave after the camp's construction was done; Blue Fur could help the army immensely on campaign.

Not that the engineer was a complete, job-loving brick; Blue Fur had dreams (and daydreams) as much as anyone else.

"I once met a nice mare in Canterlot, before I started by career as an engineer. I was in training for my current profession," said the engineer.

"Ah? I hope things went well," James asked. It was break time, and they were both seated, James with his back a tree and Blue Fur lying with his hooves tucked under him.

"Unfortunately, I didn't even get her name; we talked a bit about our lives, then we had to go our separate ways. After all, I didn't want to be late to training." Blue Fur shook his head. "To my regret, we never had the fortune to meet again. A pity; I liked her, and I could tell she liked me."

"Maybe it's not over yet. You might get a second chance."

"Thank you, my friend, but I doubt it. Mares rarely take jobs like construction or mining, especially those from Canterlot."

"Females. Almost another species unto themselves. You think you know what it's all about, think you know just what to do, then something else comes and clocks you upside the head." Sighing, James took a look around; the camp was proceeding nicely; the recruits would start coming in tomorrow, though, and a few things still had to be completed.

"A rather blunt way of putting it, but somewhat true, from what I've heard." Just then a whistle sounded. Blue Fur stood up. "Back to work we go, sir."

"Alright. We still need..." James told the engineer exactly what he thought was needed, and Blue Fur accepted it, offering advice where he saw fit to do so, which they would discuss briefly and then make a decision. James couldn't help but feel grateful for the chief engineer. He was grateful that he wasn't alone in building the camp, or of training the army.

A number of Royal Guard officers had come to the camp; if they were surprised at who and what their new commander was, they didn't show it and treated him as one of their own superiors once they knew he was their new boss. They had been sent to aid in the training of the army, and had thought of a few things that James hadn't; for one thing, they had discussed that fighting on two legs was part of mandatory training as a Royal Guard, and that the recruits would likely have to learn to do the same.

Meanwhile, he had reports of a prototype crossbow that had been made by Equestrian military scientists. James had seen the plans for it, and he wasn't all that disappointed; the only thing that made him nervous was the fact that the crossbow had no trigger guard, which was understandable; lacking fingers, they couldn't grasp anything beyond a few millimeters from their hooves. However, that would make it easy for accidents to happen. He had the comfort that this was only a prototype, at least for the Equestrians; the crossbow much resembled a Medieval European one from his own world. It could be hoof-cranked, in a similar manner to the way one petals a bike, in order to pull back the string. Then, the quarrel could be loaded and fired, and the process would be repeated.

Unfortunately, the comfort that the weapon was just a prototype was also a curse; it was not in any sort of mass production, and the designs weren't finished. It seemed like the army would be stuck with swords and spears for some time. They did have cannons being made; they weren't breech-loaders, but almost any cannon was better than none at all.

James also had some good cultural and technical information on the Griffons. Although they were ruled by a king and queen, the fact was that the half-eagle, half bird species was divided into many clans. Clan leaders, in many cases, had almost as much power as the king himself; it was more like a confederation than a kingdom. And while they all prided themselves on good martial skill, they differed on levels of technology; some clans were very much pre-medieval, while other, usually richer and larger clans had technology on the level of the Victorian era.

That meant that any army sent out under a united banner would have varying levels of effectiveness on the field; some units would wield swords, bows and arrows, and pikes while units standing next to them from another clan would have crossbows and, possibly, guns of the type that Cortes and his men would have carried in the Conquest of Mexico, if not more advanced. However, none of Equestria's merchant-spies had noticed any cannons, though they had reported seeing a few ballistae and catapults. That came as a relief. However, he kept worrying about it.

The Changelings, as far as he could see, had no technology or civilization of their own, and thus would likely try to use their natural ability to change shape to gain victory. James wasn't too concerned; there were ways to reveal disguised Changelings, and their lack of any weapons save their own horns and their shape-shifting would probably make any battle against them a victory for the Equestrians, to say the least. Cannons and spears against practically unarmed, unarmored troops would be almost child's play, or so he thought and hoped. However, many of the workers at the camp, when they weren't either working or gaping at their commander, admitted they were far more afraid of them than the Griffons, and James couldn't blame them, after the events at the royal wedding.

He hoped he could provide the ultimate victory for them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the night before the recruits were due to arrive, James was heading to his tent for the night. They had finished the camp just a little while ago, and he was tired. However, he wasn't prepared for the one he saw in front of his tent.

A swirling mane of rainbow colors, a white coat... "Good evening, Colonel," said Princess Celestia.

James stood up straighter. "'Evening, ma'am."

She smiled. "I've come to see how the camp is coming along."

"As well as can be considered, but thank Blue Fur, not me. He's done most of the actual work, him and the laborers he brought with him."

"I knew you'd get along with him." A pause. "Would you walk with me, James?"

James didn't know how to take this, but before he could say anything, the Princess said, "Oh, it's nothing intimate. I just want to get to know my newest officer better."

"...Alright." Celestia led the way. James walked beside her, on her left. For a few minutes neither of them said anything; they simply walked through the camp, admiring the beautiful night for what it was.

Finally, Princess Celestia broke the silence. "I notice you seem worried, James."

"Who, me? Of course I'm worried. Any commanding officer who isn't worried about a war or the way it might turn out..."

She shook her head. "That's not what I meant. You seem nervous and worried about something else." When he said nothing, she went on, "I've lived for over a thousand years, James. I know when someone is troubled."

James sighed. "...I'm just worried about my Mom and Dad. They must be scared sick, now that I'm gone, and I have no way to talk to them." He sighed again after a few seconds. "They must think I got lost or kidnapped, or something of that matter." Suddenly he felt the tears on his eyelids. He immediately wiped his eyes, but knew that Celestia had noticed.

He felt something fall on his shoulder; he turned to find that Celestia had rested her head on it. "I... I'm so sorry. I never even considered anything like that," she said quietly. After a moment, she lifted, and then, sounding more merry than a moment ago, she said, "I may be able to help you in this. You know that I was able to teleport you here using magic?" He nodded. Celestia went on, "I may be able to send any letters or notes you may have for them. It's the least I can do."

"Th... Thank you." He tried hard to regain his composure. He succeeded. "That cheers me up on that front."

"You're welcome", she said, smiling a little. There was another few minutes of silence as they walked on.

This time, James broke it. "Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you choose me?"

"Didn't I tell you back at the library?"

"I remember it well, but there's loads of people out there who are not ruthless or barbaric, who try to be good in life. Why did you choose me, instead of thousands, millions, even, who have similar characteristics? I know I can't have been your first choice."

She was silent for a moment, then, smiling again, she said, "You again show your intelligence, Colonel. It's true you were not the first human who I, er, eavesdropped on. I went through the minds of many, and you are correct, there were others I could have chosen, others who did have those characteristics and personalities that I admire. Many of them, though, would have known only about methods of warfare that largely exceeds the ability of the technology likely to be employed in the conflict." She paused again. "It's not completely about what you had; it's also about what you didn't have."

"...Wha... What?"

She turned toward him, looking a bit more serious, yet not threatening or imposing. "I noticed you have a lack of friends. Most of those who I did look at had plenty, but you were the first who seemed to completely lack them. And I mean real friends, not those who play and hear you over your technological games."

She means computer and video games.

She went on, "I admit I felt sorry for you. I knew you had everything I could have asked for in an officer. I hoped by bringing you here, you could make some friends and know that you would always have someone who would support you completely, and you them, even if worlds apart."

James thought for a minute before answering. "I have made friends with the Mane six... er, I mean Twilight and her friends. I've gotten used to Blue Fur. And I'm hoping Shining Armor and I become friends, as well." He paused for a while. "I... don't know why, but trying to make a working relationship with another human being can seem so hard. I always got on better with ani- duh, I mean, other species." He could see Celestia wasn't bothered at all by what he had been about to say, and was in fact on the verge of laughing over the goof. "So I thank you, for the sentiment that had you bring me here."

"it was my pleasure."

They continued walking. "This probably won't be a one shot, one battle and it's over, you know." James said after a while. "It probably going to last some months, perhaps years. I can only hope I'm ready, and that I can make others ready, and make the effort to make them so."

"That's all anyone can do, in this situation."

"How are the negotiations, by the way?"

Princess Celestia grimaced. "I don't know how much longer we can hold them. They grow more arrogant by the day. They haven't directly said much about an actual invasion, but they've implied it."

"I'm sorry to have put you in that situation."

"Don't apologize. It's necessary in any case to delay them. Also, you may be happy to note that I am contemplating sending General Armor back here, to help out with the training. As much as I hate to say it, he has nearly lost his temper several times."

"Quite understandable, when those people are so arrogant and self-absorbed." James brought out General Lee's term for the enemy without missing a beat. "I hope that a few decisive battles will knock that out of them, but I know that's probably a lost cause."

"They have that in spades. You have seen the Griffon called Gilda, have you not?"

Now it was James' turn to grimace. "Yes, on the show. She's... she's... a word that would be excessively rude and inappropriate to say, especially in front of royalty. I can only hope that the other Griffons are not all like her."

The Princess bowed her head. Then she went on walking. "I know we can win this war, against both foes. And I know that you will do your part to win it."

"I'll do what I can." James went on walking as well. Looking around the camp as they continued walking, he felt himself singing quietly, but irresistibly, the Battle Hymn of the Republic as they walked on;

Mine eyes have seen the glory

Of the coming of the Lord

He is trampling out the vintage where

The grapes of wrath are stored

He has loosed His fateful lightning

Of His terrible swift sword

His truth is marching on!

Glory, glory hallelujah!

Glory, glory hallelujah!

Glory, glory hallelujah!

His truth is marching on!

I have seen Him in the watchfires

Of a a hundred circling camps

They have built for Him an altar

In the evening dews and damps

I can read His righteous sentence

By the dim and flaring lamps

His day is marching on!

Glory, glory hallelujah!

Glory, glory hallelujah!

Glory, glory hallelujah!

His day is marching on!

In the beauty of the lilies

Christ was born across the sea

With a glory in His bosom

That transfigures you and me

As He died to make men holy,

Let us live to make men free

While God is marching on!

Glory, glory hallelujah!

Glory, glory halleujah!

Glory, glory hallelujah!

While God is marching on!*

He finally came to the end of the song. He felt almost instantly nervous; he didn't like singing where large groups of strangers could hear him.

"...You have a great voice for singing, Colonel." Celestia said after a few seconds. James blushed; fortunately it was at least somewhat dark, so he was able to hope that she didn't notice.

He found that they had managed to circle back towards his own tent. "Thank you for the chat, ma'am."

"Please, we can put aside formality between friends."

"Well then, thank you Celestia."

"That's more like it." She smiled in a mischievous way.

James stretched. He really was tired by now. "I really must get to bed. I hope to see you soon."

"I hope so as well. Good night, James."

"'Night, Princess." He watched as she flew away, then went inside; it was his first night sleeping in a tent in Equestria; he had stayed at Applejack's the rest of the week. He quickly got into a pair of pajamas, tucked himself into his hammock, and fell asleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A rooster's loud crow put an end to his dreams. James lifted his head, looking at the clock nearby; it was about 7:00, give or take a few minutes; he had long since learned that clocks were often off by a few minutes or so.

He groaned. However, remembering the job he was supposed to be doing, he got dressed and buckled on his pistol and a sword that had been made for him by Equestrian smiths. It wasn't a katana, but it was sharp, flexible, and durable, and, with a hilt 5 inches long and a blade 14 inches in length, it was a decent weapon. He'd take it.

He walked over to the field where the recruits would be gathering. He folded his arms and surveyed the landscape. It was daunting, now that the day was finally here; thousands of ponies, from all over Equestria, would be coming here, to this camp, to begin the training that would be necessary to drive the soon-to-be invading forces out. He didn't know if he could do it.

"What in Celestia's name are you?" The rude question seemed to have come out of nowhere.

He turned his head... Oh, these guys. The three pegasi colts who had bullied Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy in flight school, and who had tried squashing the former's confidence at the flyer's convention were standing several feet away.

He turned his body entirely. "I am Colonel James Lavigne!" He took a step towards them. "Who the heck are you?"

He noticed that they weren't the only ponies in the area; there were quite a few recruits standing behind them.

His aggressive manner did what he had wanted it to do; it had put the three bullies on the defensive. They all took a few steps back.

A stallion walked towards his new colonel. "Uh, we we told to, uh, report to someone with your name... uh, sir", one of them said in a typical, non-southern/western, but still scared American accent.

Of course. I should have remembered. The opening of the camp was to take place here, in only... a few minutes, if my memory serves me correctly. He softened his expression and said, "Yes." He jerked his head at a Royal Guard stallion several meters into the field. "Go to him; he'll assign you for the opening speech."

"Yyy... yes, uh, sir." Wow, is this poor kid scared. In any event, the recruit seemed glad to get away.

James sighed. This hadn't been how he'd expected or wanted to introduce himself. He did want the army to fear him, just to respect him. The three rascals had really put a crimp in that plan.

In a few minutes, hundreds had gathered before him and Shining Armor, who had apparently arrived fairly early in the morning. James didn't envy him; he must have been tired. However, he seemed fit enough this morning.

James remained where he was, trying to see if any ponies from the show's sidelines had come, but he failed to notice any. He shrugged. It made little difference. His job was to supervise the training, see if he could adjust it where it needed to be, and to command them in the field. He would do that regardless of who showed up.

"Excuse me, sir, but it's 9:00."

He started, then turned to his left, where a Royal Guard had approached unnoticed. Perhaps he hadn't meant to; James had been busy thinking, which would have accounted for him losing track of what happened around him.

"Alright." James looked over at Shining Armor, who had a Guard whispering to him as well. 9:00 AM was the time when they were supposed to get all this started.

Shining looked over at James, who nodded. Then they both walked out infront of the crowd of recruits, who by now seemed to number in the thousands.

She should be coming down right about... ah, now!

The royal chariot landed on the lawn not far away, with Princess Celestia exiting it almost before it stopped. She walked up to where James and Shining now stood, easily visible to the mass of ponies in front of them.

She lifted her head. "My little ponies, I wish with all my heart that I didn't have to summon you all for military duty." She bowed her head for a few seconds, perhaps wishing once more that things had turned out different. "However, the enemies who gather at our borders do not seek peace, but aim to force their will on our beautiful country. They have mistaken our peaceful ways for weakness, and have fallen to brute force and the darkest natures of their own hearts. Without an army to hold the line against the darkness, Equestria shall be destroyed."

The crowd had been tense before. Now they were on the verge of losing control; panicked whispering could be heard, and almost everyone was fidgety.

"That is why you are here; to teach them that Equestria will never be theirs for the taking! Our Pegasi work hard manipulating the weather; the Earth Ponies labor day after day to feed our growing nation, and the Unicorns bless our proud country with their magic. All this would be wasted should we surrender!"

"Here you all stand; I see a proud army, ready to fight for what's right! With valiant heroes such as yourselves protecting us, Equestria shall not fall, and a bright new day shall be upon us!"

The recruits had stopped panicking, and were listening intently; as that last sentence ended, they broke out in cheers. It as an inspiring sight; James hoped he could make the most of it. Morale is half the battle, he thought to himself.

"To ensure our victory, I have... invited the human James Lavigne, and made him a Colonel in our forces. He will help with the army's training and will hold a command on the field. I ask you to obey him as if he was a pony himself."

Invited... now that is... an understatement, I suppose. And why would I want to be a pony? I like myself the way I am.

"Brigadier General Shining Armor holds command of the army as it is." Shining waved to the assembled crowd as his name was mentioned. He stepped forward and spoke in a loud voice;

"You all know me. I have served as Captain of the Royal Guard for some time now, and I now take command of the forces that will defend Equestria from the invaders. I will do my part to protect my country and it's people. And with ponies such as you behind me, I know we cannot fail!"

James' mind was blank for a few moments as he tried to think of something to say.

"...nel? Colonel!"

James started. "Hmm?"

"Care to say a few words?" The Princess was now looking squarely at him. So was the crowd.

...I should have been more prepared for this part. He stood up straight.

"As Princess Celestia said before, I am Colonel James Lavigne, here to supervise the training of the army and to lead it in the battles unfortunately certain to come. The foe comes with sword and spear to claim these lands. I won't sugar coat it; it's going to be a fierce and deadly struggle, and some of us may not come back alive."

Amid panicked comments and more fidgeting, he bowed his head. "I depreciate war in general. It's not a game; if they win, the enemy will believe they have the right to do whatever they want to this beautiful country."

He lifted his head. "Our job is to make sure that doesn't happen, and to take the fight to them. If we do this right, we might be able to finish this before the coming of winter." (It was currently mid-summer.)

"We must remain strong in the tough and deadly time ahead, so that we may triumph and keep our future just that; our future, not one that our enemies can manipulate at will. And I believe we can and will accomplish our goal; with God's help, we cannot help but succeed."

"We will hold them back, and drive them back into the depraved pit they came from. For freedom and for Equestria!"

The recruits, who had all been nervous upon hearing the parts about death, began to cheer loudly when they heard those last few words; hats flew into the air and hooves waved.

James watched them in silence.

I sure hope I'm not lying to these fellows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note; this version of "Battle Hymn of the Republic was sung by the "Three Irish Tenors, led by John McDermot, none of whom have any connection with me.

PreviousChapters Next