• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 13,707 Views, 1,965 Comments

The War of 1002 - Fireheart 1945



A young man with a love of military history and MLP;FIM finds himself dragged into Equestria.

  • ...
85
 1,965
 13,707

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 55; Meeting of royalty

James felt a weight lift from him as he watched Celestia and Metamorphosis walked side by side out of the tent they had shared. he hadn't logically thought that there would be a problem, but it was great to see that his fears had no foundation on which to stand. There was no hint of hostility in their eyes; indeed, both appeared happy and content as they approached.

They both stopped a few feet in front of him. Without preamble, Celestia, still smiling as she spoke, said, "I can see why you made your choice. It was the only one to make at the time. however, in the future, if time isn't so much of an issue, please alert me before you make any sort of political arrangement."

"I will, assuming time permits it. The problem is, events in war can pass in the blink of an eye. Decisions have to be made immediately or not at all."

"I can't find fault with that statement. And I am pleased with the decision you made in this case. I said, if time isn't so much of an issue."

"I think we're one step closer to peace," the Queen said. "Our future is still at stake, though, and we cannot let down our guard now. If no one objects, I'll make the decisions as to future treaties on this front, as I'm a ruler in these parts, and I have great concern for what happens in this land."

"I have no objections," Celestia replied, "but I will be staying for a few days. The soldiers on this front have received less recognition than they deserve, and with Prince Shining Armor arriving in a few days, I want to make sure there is no altercation. Since the invasion, his opinion of Changelings is not very high, and I want to make sure any fears he has will be put to rest."

James didn't say anything. He felt that the concern was valid, but he felt it would be disloyal to his friend to say so in public. Better to keep silent.

"In any case," Celestia continued, "I advise that we go and make our alliance public with an announcement to our combined armies. I will make a further announcement in Canterlot when I return there."

"Excellent. But we need more than goodwill to win this war. We need supplies and food," the Queen said.

"I am Princess of Equestria. When I tell ponies to do a job, it usually gets done. The army will receive everything it needs, though I must point out that the supply route is very long, and even with the system working as quickly as possible, the necessary equipment likely won't be arriving very quickly, at least not from the ground."

"What about the airship owners that are being so reluctant to part with their ships?" James asked.

Celestia frowned. "I've been having talks with them, discussing how urgent the need for them is, as well as pointing out that the country needs them at this crucial time. I'm willing to pay a price that is more than fair, but if they refuse that, I'll resort to simply confiscating them for the duration of the conflict. I've had enough with their foolishness, especially when our nation is in danger. At least the railroad companies were willing to do what was necessary."

"Undoubtedly because they would still profit from it," James muttered.

"Perhaps. Either way, I'll provide you with everything you need."

"Good. I'm glad to hear that."

"The good Queen told me the plan. While its full of risk, I suppose there isn't another course to take. I hope to meet this Queen Camilla myself, if all goes well in the next few days."

--------------------------------------------------------

The Princess did as she had said she would. Both armies - except for the sentries and patrols - gathered in the middle of the camp to hear her speech.

"Today, we celebrate the end of hostilities between Equestria and the hive of Queen Metamorphosis, and the official start of a new, beneficial relationship between our two states."

Ponies and Changelings alike cheered.

"Yes," the Queen said. "And soon, we hope to add to our coalition others who have been oppressed. When we win this war, our peoples will coexist in peace and harmony. Nonetheless, we should always be alert for future crises, and protect the freedom we have gained. Liberty can only be maintained through constant vigilance and the will to defend it. With faith and courage, we will face the new dawn that is coming... together."

There was more cheering. James was relieved that he didn't hear any catcalls or any other hostile sounds from members of the crowd. It was a good sign that relations between the two species were being built. If the foundations of the relationship remained solid, it could cement peace between them.

"I suppose I'll take your questions now," the Queen said jovially, a smile on her face. There was laughter in response to this, honest mirth; even Celestia chuckled.

Nonetheless, a soldier raised his hoof. "What will you do when the war here is over?" he asked.

"I haven't decided quite yet," the Queen admitted. "However, what happens in Equestria is of great importance for our people. I will be giving great thought to that question."

"What about what happens here?" a Changeling asked. "What happens when we have freed our people?"

"I would prefer for things to return to how they were before Chrysalis took over, but I realize how foolish that would be. I can't really give a solid answer to that before we have defeated the enemy. Our position in the world has changed, though. We cannot rely on secrecy as much as we used to; Chrysalis' attack on Canterlot put paid to that. Our people must realize this, and make the appropriate preparations. We must take our position in the world, without wholly relying on the hidden location of our hives and our secret existence among the populace of our new allies."

Another soldier asked a question; "Do you like cake?"

The Queen looked a little taken aback at this; then, as the crowd began to chuckle, she laughed. "Yes, I do," she admitted. "Not that it's necessary for our diet, but a good snack is always well appreciated."

The next question was a bit more serious; "Will you continue to send your people to harvest emotions from us?"

The Queen didn't flinch. "Yes. Emotional energy isn't a matter of choice, but that of life or death. However, it will be passive, not violent or hostile. We need the energy, but we do not need to take it by force. I much prefer to pursue our normal, peaceful policies."

"What about Chrysalis' hive? What happens to them when we defeat them?"

Metamorphosis was silent for a moment, clearly thinking her answer over. "It depends to what extent Chrysalis is willing to fight. If she doesn't care for the age or potential of those she sends to battle, we'll have our job cut out for us. If we can persuade her to surrender, I would prefer that. However, if we must destroy her in battle, that would also end the war, and her daughter would take over for her. Under the guidance of the other Queens, we may be able to help her reform her hive. I dearly hope we can do so. I can't predict just how the future will unfold, though, so I cannot make any detailed plans as of yet."

The rest of the questions were mostly non-consequential and comical in origin. James sat down on one of several flat rocks and smiled.

God willing, we will win this war, and we'll forge a new peace.

---------------------------------------------------

Oh capricious wind, that turns fire against wood to destroy utterly the foe, who can understand your wild ways?

A rather intriguing lyric, written by a Changeling writer, translated and now available for James' eyes to comprehend. This was one of the more interesting ones, as most Changeling writers, when they spoke of nature, tended to focus on the environment they lived in, which meant they were, at least to his eyes, boring. Still, no doubt Equestrian scholars would delight in studying a culture that had, until recently, largely remained secret from them.

James set the paper down onto the table before standing up to stretch. The rest of the day had been promising. Celestia and Metamorphosis had discussed possible plans for a trade agreement, after which they had inspected their armies and the fortifications they had built.

He sat back down and began to write. Relations between both peoples continue to develop steadily. There are still some skeptics in both parties, but I suppose that is to be expected. After all, the whole invasion thing still hangs over everyone's heads. However, military cooperation is practically assured. I wish I had more material and soldiers to bring off the campaign - and a faster logistics system- but I guess most commanders in history have wanted such, and found they had to make do with the forces and equipment they had.

He set down the pencil and stood up again. After discussing the matter further - especially the need for further secrecy and deception - the two monarchs had agreed that airships could not be used to transport supplies until the deception was blown. That meant that supplies would be coming in more slowly. Ammunition wasn't the main problem - food, and especially water, were.

I suppose there's no help for it. Blast.

He heard hooves approaching the tent, and turned to face the tent flap as it parted. "Sir, the Princess has requested you join her," said the Guard who walked through. "She says it is a matter of utmost urgency."

Uh oh. Trouble, now? "Lead on."

-------------------------------------------------

James had expected that the event that he had been called for would be in the middle of the camp, so he was surprised when the Guard led him outside the camp, toward the western defenses.

What could have happened here? Surely there hasn't been a break down in the alliance, not now...?

Yet again, his anxiety gave way as he saw Celestia and the Queen standing together without any sort of hostility. Celestia nodded in greeting when she saw him. "Good, you're here, James. Rest assured, there is no trouble insofar as the alliance is concerned."

"That's good, but then why did you call me here?"

"Look." Celestia jerked her head toward the west.

James looked. "Where have I seen that before?" he said as he spied a group of Changelings approaching, with one of the group clutching a stick with a white rag attached.

There was one big difference from the first such encounter; this time, the Queen coming with them didn't bother to hide herself. In fact, she wore a large, golden crown, with several gems grafted into it. In addition, her body was covered what seemed to be golden armor; the armor had holes in it to match the positions of the ones on her body.

Metamorphosis chuckled. "Camilla did always love to make a rather elegant entrance."

"Too elegant," James muttered. "She's too easy to see by enemy spotters."

"And an entire camp surrounded by trenches and cannons isn't?"

James had no counter for that. "I suppose she looks decent," he admitted. But she'd be better off leaving the theatrics home.

Camilla and her party approached to within ten feet of Celestia, James, and Metamorphosis before stopping. For a few moments, no one said anything.

Then the two Queens ran toward one another and embraced.

"Ah, sista," Camilla said in a heavy Celtic accent, "I've missed ya so. It's so good to see ya again after more n' seven years!"

"Its good to see you too, Camy," Metamorphosis said happily. "I'd all but given up hope of seeing you again until just recently."

"Ya, I'd hearda tha a wee bit. My reason fer seeing ya now." As the two Queen parted, Camilla added, in an amused tone, "Not that I wouldna have come just ta see yer pretty face."

"Who the frack taught her English?" James whispered to Celestia.

"I can't be sure," the Princess whispered back. "No doubt she had an Irish teacher. if I understood Metamorphosis correctly when we spoke earlier, the Changeling hives adopted the accents and phrases of those who first taught them this speech. Its highly likely that most of her hive will speak in a similar manner."

"We have a lot to discuss," Metamorphosis continued. "And, if we have the time later, a lot to catch up on."

"Indeed. Might as well get down ta business. First o' all, what help can ya be ta us? The kingdings have our nursery well guarded, and ya know as well as I what they'll do."

"I do," Metamorphosis agreed grimly. "If we can sneak some troops in by secret entrances and use them to aid the uprising, we'll have a good chance of crushing their troops. I'm assuming they have a couple hundred soldiers there?"

"Aye. But how ta protect tha nursery during the fighting, tha's the question I'm askin'."

"We'll need to distract the guards. Persuade them to leave their posts. We'll need some kind of diversion, combined with a quick assault to capture the nursery. We'll have troops outside to block any who try to escape."

"Sound good, 'summing we take tha nursery first. But what do we use to lure the blasted buggers away?"

"We'll discuss that, but I'd suggest we do that inside the camp. It would be better for security, and we can hardly conduct our business just standing here."

"True 'nough. Wouldna 'ave expected ponies ta aid in our liberation, though," Camila said, gesturing with her head towards Celestia. "Neva expected a... someone ta help, either."

At least she didn't call me a blasted monkey or an ape. That's just as insulting to me as calling a pony a horse.

"We'll be more than willing to help," Celestia said. "If you're willing to join our alliance, we'd be honored to add your name to the treaty Equestria has signed with Queen Metamorphosis."

"Gladly, but only after me subjects 'r free from tha tyrant's grasp."

Celestia nodded. "Of course. Why don't we discuss this over tea?"

"Never much a one fer the stuff. I prefer coffee."

"Fair enough."

--------------------------------------------------

Camilla made herself comfortable inside the tent, along with Metamorphosis and Celestia. She had to take off her armor, true enough, but the pillows she was lying on made up for the temporary loss of clothing. Not that she needed it, but she liked to be stylish. And the armor wasn't just for show.

She sipped the cup of coffee a Guard had given her. It was refreshing, and gave her a jolt of energy, something she needed. "So, anaway, I got word from one o' ya little birdies, M. A' first, I didna know whether ta believe it. I questioned tha first of yer subjects I could get me hooves on. Luckily, he convinced me he was tellin' tha truth. Seein' yer army today wiped the last o' me doubts."

"An army that you could add to, you know," Metamorphosis said.

"I know. Problem is, how ta do it? Ya told me how ya saved yerselves, but far as I can tell, them councilors ain't all stupid enough ta hold a big damn rally full of people who hate 'em. This'll require somethin' more direct. Unless waitin' is out?"

"It is," Celestia confirmed.

"Good. Canna wait ta kick the blaggards out more n' a few days, now I know that freedom is actually possible now."

"In that case, the best idea might be to attack when they go to change shifts."

Camilla frowned skeptically. "Ya, and that would leave us, what? Fifteen seconds a' best."

"But a crucial fifteen seconds. If we pull it off right-"

"And tha's the whole problem, gettin' it right."

"Hmm... is there anything whatsoever that might require most, if not all, the guards to leave their posts?"

"Na, tha's... tha's..." Camilla's voice trailed off as she remembered something.

"What is it?" Metamorphosis asked.

"Well, I don' know whether it's a weakness or anathing worth mentionin' but... the councilors were complainin' the other day tha' their house needed repairs."

"Interesting... perhaps we can engineer a collapse," said the tall, bipedal soldier, "and make it look like an accident. Of course, their guys will all come running, where we can ambush them and take the nursery in one big blow."

"Maybe. Sound like it might actually work. If we send in a 'repair crew' that actually serves to weaken the structure," Metamorphosis said, pondering the idea."

"Aye. An' I can tell me own hive tha plan and wha ta do. Big thing is gettin' it done, though. Gettin' yer troops to where we need 'em before the whole mess starts will be a wee problem. Me palace is in tha middle o' the hive, not tha side like yers, M."

"I know. Best we can do is sneak some of my own soldiers in; they won't be able to tell the difference, while keeping the Equestrian troops in the secret corridors until the fighting starts."

Camilla flinched. "I'm afraid... they know about a few o' those?"

"What?"

"They found a few o' them, an' then they wanted us ta tell 'em about all our secret entrances, and since then, they've been on the lookout fer more."

"And...?"

"I didna tell 'em where all o' them were, M. But I had ta give 'em at least some o' what they wanted; they woulda taken our entire stock o' energy if we hadn', and this was back in the early days, when Chrysie was still strong."

"I see. That could complicate things."

"I left a few secrets to ourselves. Had ta tell a few stretchers here an' there, bu' I convinced 'em that we showed them all our secrets."

"That will still make it harder for the Equestrian forces to take part of the battle."

"It would be," Celestia said, thinking. "I'm not concerned about glory here. If you believe that only Changelings have a chance of making it inside in sufficient numbers, then I'm willing to concede the point. We can still blockade the hive from outside to keep messengers from escaping. The only issue is identify the two sides, so that friendly forces and non-combatants don't suffer from misidentification during the fighting."

"We tied green bands to our legs during the battle to free my hive," Metamorphsis spoke up. "But that might not work a second time, and I had a good excuse when we used that idea. We won't have an excuse for something like that here."

"I may have an idea," Camilla said. "I'll choose some warriors ta fight, and they'll be wearin' headbands. They'll be hidden among tha buildins' 'til tha fightin' starts."

"I suppose that settles that problem," Celestia said. "The entire plan relies on good timing. However, if we free the nursery, that should free us to deal with the enemy force however we see fit to do so."

"Aye."

"We'll still have to sneak some of my soldiers in," Metamorphosis said, frowning. "Hmm." She rubbed her chin with a hoof. "Is that entrance under the withered tree still a secret?"

Camilla smiled in response.

-----------------------------------------------

James began drawing up deployment plans inside his tent after the meeting was concluded. He had enough soldiers to do what he needed, and Metamorphosis had lent him half of her own force in order to effectively blockade the hive.

He felt more than a little worried. A surge of fury raced up his spine. Why did they enemy have to take hostages, especially kids? It was depraved. He had no objection to killing an enemy soldier; that was war, and it had always been war.

Cowardice.

With a great force of will, he suppressed his anger; it continued to boil, but it wasn't going to interfere with the immediate situation. He continued to write out his orders. His troops - well, technically, they were Celestia's - would guard the northern sector, while the Changelings would cover the south. That part of the plan was solid enough.

"Excuse me? General?" came Metamorphosis' voice.

"Yes, come in," he said as he turned around.

The two Queens walked into the tent. "Good afternoon," Metamorphosis said in greeting.

"Ah, let's just skip tha pleasantries," Camilla interrupted. "M was tellin' me 'boutcha, but I wanted ta see ya in person 'fore I go home ta get my people ready fer this thing."

"I see." I really don't like it when people talk about me behind my back, especially when they're so open about it. I guess there's nothing for it now.

"Aye. So yer a hummin'?

It took a moment for James to realize what she meant. "No, it's pronounced hu-man."

"Hue-men."

"No, Human."

"Harman"

"What, no, there's no A. No R, for that matter, either."

"Humain?"

"No, Blast it, I..." He caught the glance between the two Queens at that point. "Damn it, I don't like being taken advantage of like that."

"Looks like I owe you ten bits," Metamorphosis said to Camilla. "He got upset faster than I thought he would at that."

James crossed his arms.

"Oh, please don't take it like that. We aren't trying to belittle you."

"Aye, just thought a good, ole friendly wager would be in order 'fore we parted."

Metamorphosis summoned ten golden coins, which Camilla took in her own magic before dismissing the money, presumably to her own palace.

Admit it. You may well have made the same bet in their place.

Yes, but... oh, fine, I'm acting like a fool. Happy?

He unfolded his arms and sat back down from where he had stood up.

"Sorry. I haven't seen Camilla for seven years, and I guess we're both a little excited to spend even the small amount of time together that we have today," the Queen apologized.

James felt his anger start to fade, replaced by guilt. Remember, they suffered under a brutal rule for more than seven years. If their joy is a little.. imperfect, they're no less in need of it. "Sorry myself. I'd forgot what you've both suffered through."

"No harm done," Camilla answered. "Fact is, no matter how our plan on the 'morrow works out, we'll be free. We'll have you an' yer troops ta help with tha."

"I hope you know what goes into a battle, then," James said, "as well as the cost."

Camilla's head turn to the side. "I know that all too well. Me mum led us in tha war that cost us our liberty. She... she died, and I had ta take tha throne."

"Oh.... I'm sorry," James said, taking his hat off.

"Guess... Guess I can' complain. She lived a full life, and was tha best mum of tha age, she was. I hope ta live up ta her memory by freein' tha hive she led. That would please her, could she but see it."

"We'll win," Metamorphosis promised. "We'll free your hive, and we'll go on to free the rest of our people from Chrysalis."

James took out his canteen and poured water from it into three paper cups before handing one to each queen, leaving the last for himself. "To freedom, and victory." He raised the cup and drank from it.

"To victory!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Sorry if I overdid the Irish accent thing. I felt like each Queen should have something to set them apart from one another, and having an Irish, rebel Queen just seemed to fit.

PreviousChapters Next