• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 13,710 Views, 1,965 Comments

The War of 1002 - Fireheart 1945



A young man with a love of military history and MLP;FIM finds himself dragged into Equestria.

  • ...
85
 1,965
 13,710

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49; Shifting priorities and discovery

James drank from his canteen as the army crossed over the bridge. Although still tired from staying up all night, he was pleased to see that his army was advancing. Crystal had managed to point out deficiencies in the maps he had, so he knew they didn't face unending woodland all the way to the Griffon capital.

"We have plenty of ammunition and food to last us a while, and while our assault units suffered casualties, we have other units replacing them in line, and we'll be able to maintain sustained operations against the enemy," Crystal Clear was saying, reading off a list he was holding.

"I'm not surprised. That fight last night was largely an affair of soldiers rather than artillery, and shots had to be placed carefully."

"That being so, what is our next course of action?"

"Keep moving. I want to keep the pressure up. If prisoners are telling the truth, the king isn't pleased with his generals."

"That's stupid... uh, sir."

"Ha, I don't mind. Go on, I can tell you want to say more." James took another long swig; he had been thirsty since dawn, perhaps because of his anxiety.

"Well, I find it ridiculous, given the resources they have. Of course, if their king wants to be stupid, I'm all for it, so long as it helps us."

"Me too, come to that. Damn, empty," he added as he finished off the water in the canteen. "If he fires Grayfeather and puts someone less competent in command, I'll have no complaints. It'll make my job easier, and the sooner the war ends, the sooner we can all go home." He yawned. "I hope that's soon."

Before his aide could reply, a flapping of wings and the sound of landing hooves came to their ears. "Sir, General... a moment, if you will."

"Yes?" he replied, looking at the pegasus soldier who had just landed.

"I have a message from the Princess."

"Oh, really? What does she say?"

"She's asking that you join her at your tent. She didn't say anything else."

Princess Celestia hadn't left the camp yet; although she'd sent Twilight and the rest of the Mane 6 back to Ponyville and her mission of peace had failed, she'd insisted on coming up to watch the battle. Not that there had been much to watch, although there had been plenty to listen to. He didn't know why, but she doubtless had her reasons, and she was Princess. Maybe - no, probably - she wanted to know just what her soldiers were going through.

"...Okay, I'll be right there. Good work."

It didn't take too long to find his own tent; it was one of the few that wasn't yet being taken down.

"Ah, James. Congratulations on winning our latest victory against the Griffon invaders."

"Thank you," James said, nodding. "But you'd do better thanking the soldiers than me. I didn't fire a shot last night."

"I will, in fact, be doing just that later on." She paused. "I would like to discuss my plans for the war in your tent, if you wouldn't mind."

"I suppose we'd better get on with that," James said, and opened the flap to let her in.

"Thank you," she said as she went in. James followed her, and sat down on a chair facing the map of the overall war.

"Now then," the Princess said, getting a good look at the board, "we're doing well against the Griffons. Our allies have cut of their trade, so their imports and exports are almost non-existent. Saddle Arabian fleets have begun taking small islands off their coasts, as stepping stones for possible invasion sites. Their main army has suffered terrible losses and is now heavily outnumbered and steadily losing ground."

"The main problem is, they're still fighting," James noted somberly.

"Indeed. But while we've been fighting the Griffons, we've turned most of our attention away from the Changeling threat. I've been looking at reports of the fighting there more carefully, and I do believe that, somehow, they've been receiving reinforcements. I'm not sure just how they're doing it, but then we don't have eyes everywhere, and can't really expect to."

"They're the smaller threat."

"So we thought. But considering their recent increase in strength, I'm having second thoughts. If left unchecked, they may soon have the numbers to outright face our army there in battle. A loss there would leave much of the west open to an unchecked rampage, un doing our previous efforts there."

"You're shifting me from here to there." It wasn't a question.

"I am. I believe it is worth doing."

"Hmm." James took another look at the map. "I would really like to be the one who finishes the war here," he said, more to himself than to her.

"I am aware of that. However, sometimes need comes before want. I am therefore sending you there."

"Can I at least have the choice of my successor here, if it isn't Shining Armor?"

"You may, though, if I'm not mistaken, you will leave General Rolling Barrel in charge here."

"I... was, in fact, going to," James said, surprised.

Celestia smiled. "I'm not a monarch who just sits on the throne and looks pretty, as I'm sure you know by now. I've been reading the reports you and your aide, Crystal Clear, have written. I think, regarding his aggressive personality, that he is a good choice."

"Okay," James said, relieved. "However, unless I'm mistaken, this front will receive priority shipments of new weapons and equipment?"

"They will, but I'm not going to neglect our army in the west. I will be sending you whatever supplies you need to get the job done."

"Alright, I guess that's settled. I'll just have to pack, and..." A meow interrupted him.

"Ooooh, how cute!" Celestia said, laughing as Kiki wove in and out of her legs.

"Hmmm, she might prove difficult to pack up..."

"Ha ha ha, I suppose so," the Princess replied. "Still, even in a hot climate, she might be able to do well. I'd advise giving her plenty of water, though. And I'd bring plenty of sunscreen and whatever else in that category you need."

"Like you'd need it."

"I may control the sun, but as I told you before, I am not a goddess, and therefore the ultraviolet rays from the sun can still affect my skin. Not that I'm the one going there anyway, but I'd still need sun lotion."

"You have fur, so how... Okay, this discussion got derailed."

Celestia chuckled. "So it did. And you were the one that did it."

"I guess I did. Well, actually, no; it was little one here" - James picked up Kiki, who emitted a disappointed meow as he did so - "who got us off track."

"A kitten does make a good distraction," the Princess agreed. "I just hope she doesn't distract you from your duties."

"No, I don't think she will. And I think she'll be happy to be with me, even if we have to move. It's not like I haven't don't that often while on this front. Or in the war, period."

"It isn't, that's for certain." Looking somber, she added, "I only wish I could have invited you here in peacetime."

"Yeah, about that... Princess, you know of the show we have back home, and they couldn't have made that to have the accuracy it does without a direct connection here somehow. I want to know... what's the origin of that?"

Celestia looked surprised, but she recovered quickly. "Ah, at last, we come to that subject. I had a feeling, hopes, even, that we might get to it sometime. I suppose we have some time, and I think I do owe you an explanation."

She took a deep breath. "Several years ago, I was experimenting with teleportation magic, with a small contingent of Guards as the only observers and partakers in the event. I was trying to find a way to expand on the usual unicorn teleportation spell, to create a portal of sorts. If I could have succeeded, it might have revolutionized transportation in Equestria."

"And angered all the railway companies."

"No doubt," Celestia replied, smiling a little. "I would have given them compensation for any loss, believe me. But back to my story. I made the effort. It required a great amount of energy, perhaps more than I use to move the sun every day."

"However, I'd made a critical miscalculation. Instead of creating a portal to an isolated part of western Equestria, as I intended, I accidentally summoned a being from Earth to this universe."

"The being before me didn't surprise me. After all, as I proved when seeing through your mind in the months prior to summoning you, I wasn't new to the scrying art. I'd used it before; I'd scryed humanity for hundreds of years beforehoof. The fact that a human had been summoned wasn't what roused my curiosity."

"My Guards, naturally, wanted to protect me. Their first reaction was to draw their spears. But I ordered them to be still. The woman was certainly scared, and she didn't know what to make of a land of magical, talking horses, as she called us. However, after reassuring her, she lost her fear, or I should say, she lost most of it. I doubt I could have been completely relaxed in the middle of a circle of Royal Guards had the situation been reversed. "

"After giving them orders to stand off a ways, I chatted with her. I found out that she was a creator of television shows back in your world, and that she had been instructed to come up with ideas for a new show. I admit, my curiosity was piqued. She talked about the shows she'd made or helped make."

"I can't deny that the thought of asking to make one of us crossed my mind; partly as a joke, you see. She'd make one of us, and everyone one her world would think it was fake, never dreaming that the beings displayed would be real. However, I realized that this meeting had the potential to do much more. As I said, I'd scryed humanity for centuries, learning of both beauty and disaster, of evil... and kindness. Perhaps, I thought to myself, I could create a bridge between our respective worlds, and that one day we might actually cross over to try to give your people aid."

"She was skeptical. There were too many cultures and people of different ideas to end all conflict, she insisted. While conceding the fact, I still wanted to try. After all, our own world wasn't always peaceful, in fact, there were times when parts of it were war ravaged. And, putting conflict aside, there were many people who would benefit from our magic, in areas of health, sports, architecture, all sorts of things. I made the request. She was still a little cautious about it, but then, after being teleported out of your universe against your own will and then having such and idea brought to you by the very being responsible for that is may be quite disconcerting. However, she agreed in the end."

"But.. then how do you get the events to her? How come so much of what's here at least somewhat resembles stuff on the show?"

"I must confess, it's not a perfect system. I remember my first viewing of the Royal wedding. You'll notice a point in the cave beneath Canterlot where Twilight's hooves bend, which is, in actuality, impossible, as are the complete flattening of bodies and body parts. And Miss Lauren Faust took the idea of "little ponies" a bit too seriously. I'd be shorter than you in the show, whereas I am taller in reality, and the bronco bucks you had with Applejack and Rainbow Dash wouldn't have been possible either. But overall, I couldn't complain. She at least got the words right, and the voices were accurate to the last degree."

"So the voices and the lines..."

"Were really what was said most of the time, yes, almost like a recording."

'How did you get all that back to her, though? Did you go back in time personally and watch all that?"

"No; except for the time spell used by Twilight in one episode, time travel is not yet feasible, and I have my misgivings over whether it should be used at all. However, I digress. I was able to view these events after the fact by quite literally using a crystal ball, as well as the planet's magical grid, to recreate the events. I'd send the ball to miss Faust, who would then take what she saw and mold it into the show you watched."

"And you're still doing it?"

"Yes, I am. I intend to do it for a long time to come."

"But Twilight.. isn't that like spying on her?"

Celestia blushed. "Well... maybe, I hadn't thought about it much before. I certainly had no one to talk to about it. I held back from telling her, fearing it might effect her, making her and the others think that every move they made was being watched. I had no ulterior motives for using the show, only to try to create a sort of bridge. Naturally, I was surprised, if pleasantly so, when male humans began liking it as well."

"So the show... isn't wholly for selling toys or for entertainment?"

Celestia frowned. "I'm afraid that companies sometimes make things harder. Miss Faust had to be careful, and a few times came close to blowing the cover of the show. I didn't want it revealed so soon, before an appropriate audience was ready for us. I can't really say I liked the toy versions of me, my sister, and Twilight and her friends that came out. Recently, they've wanted her to make a movie, one that has no bearing on what is really happening in Equestria, and they want to turn Twilight into an alicorn as well, which is not part of my plans, or isn't for the foreseeable future."

"Ouch. I'll have to remember to be careful what I watch when I get back. Well, if I get back." Suddenly, James remembered something. "There was a Griffon prisoner we took. He spoke of my species as 'Travellers', as beings that came into the world, then left for some reason."

"Ah, yes. I am familiar with that particular legend. Occasionally, humans would be brought to our world by magic, whether accidentally, as in my case, or deliberately." Again, she blushed. "I can't deny that I've done it myself every now and again."

"Well, in that case, how were the spells you used different?"

'Er... the one I was experimenting with... kind of exploded, which may go a long way towards explaining my Guards' hostility towards Miss Faust."

"Uh, 'kind of exploded'?"

"Okay, so it was a fairly big explosion. But in the epicenter of the blast, Miss Faust was alright. And she was conscious; as you'll remember, when I brought you here, you basically fell asleep. I had intended to bring you into my palace. Unfortunately, something went wrong with the spell in your case, and you came out in the Everfree Forest. Magic can be weird like that sometimes, although, considering that you saved three of my younger subjects, I won't complain."

"Yeah, I guess not. But what about the book Twilight found?"

"Ah yes, that. It was incorrect. No doubt the author merely heard of humans and made his own assumptions. I'm afraid there is no evidence of native humans in Equestria or anywhere in our world. I'm sorry, if it's any consolation to you."

"But then how did stuff like nail-on horseshoes, bridles, and saddles come into your culture?"

"I didn't say that those humans brought here didn't bring their ideas with them. They did. They were indeed responsible for those developments, which were in play well before the three original pony tribes united." She stopped to let that sink in. "Occasionally, magical disturbances or an inexperienced unicorn would accidentally bring humans in from your world. They would tell us about them, and their ideas, and then ponies would try to help them back to their world. Naturally, this didn't go unnoticed, hence the idea of 'Travellers' by the Griffons."

It all seemed to fit. But there was one more question on James' mind. "Princess, if you've been scrying us, you know of the terrible things some people do. War is only part of it; crime, including murder, drug and alcohol addiction, genocide... I don't see why you'd want to help us out; in fact, I have no idea how you're able to like me, or any other human being."

Celestia nodded. Perhaps she'd been expecting that question as well. "It's because of those reason that I want to help you. As well as the evil, I've seen great good as well; in fact, much more of it than evil. The evil actions, in our world and yours, are magnified by the horror and devastation they cause, whereas the typical life of a farmer who respects the law and just lives his life without any point that would draw in a writer goes unknown by society. Even in the middle of things like you've said, I've seen mercy, kindness, and most important of all, love. I do not loathe the many for the actions of the few. And while war is awful, it is, as it is here, necessary. Evil regimes often cannot be deposed by any other physical means."

James sighed, with relief if nothing else. "A lot of your people would have different opinions to say the least."

"They will, and while I wish it were otherwise, I will respect their beliefs in this regard, should it come to fruition. But that will be in the future," she continued. "We need to discuss the military situation."

"Will our allies be coming up? I haven't seen them whatsoever. What are they doing?"

"I understand your frustration. They've been slowed down, the Zebras from pre-battle rituals and the Saddle Arabians by trying to sell anything they can get their hooves on legally. However, I've spoken to their commanders, and to their national and tribal leaders. They will be moving up shortly."

"I won't be the one seeing them, though. Barrel will."

"He will. But I intend to place you back in command for the final push, so you'll have your chance to see them."

"I hope they don't try getting out of the war before it's over."

"They won't. neither of them want the Griffons to win, and, unfortunately for the Griffons, they, or rather, their leadership, have been rather condescending toward the Zebras, so they're in this to the end."

"How..?"

"King Raneiro has repeatedly sent diplomats to them who acted as though the only reason they were sent was to being insulting. The Zebras, even those in tribes these diplomats didn't go, were outraged enough to swear that they would fight the war to it's conclusion."

"The king's an idiot, as far as I'm concerned."

"He hasn't made the smartest choices in the war, no. Anyway, if you have a plan for the west, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me."

"Only thing I can come up with is try to take something important from them, something important enough to force them to battle against superior might. However, I have no idea just how to get that done."

"I'm sure you'll find a way to defeat them. You've won numerous battles, against them and our enemies here. I am confident you can do it again."

"I'll certainly try, make no mistake about that."

"Good. Well, this conversation went on longer than I expected, but I think it got a few things off our chests. I'll be returning to Canterlot; I have to keep the country running, and this visit to the army camp has probably left an enormous amount of paperwork to fill out."

"Send it to the sun."

" I wish I could do that, but it's got to be done." She smiled. "I know I can rely on you and my other commanders to get things done, both here and in the west. If all goes well, I hope to see you again soon."

"I have my doubts we'll be done that quick, but I hope so too."

"Farewell, James, and may success follow you."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sir, you can count on me," General Rolling Barrel promised. "I'll keep the Griffons on the run, and keep kickin' 'em whenever I get the chance."

"Very good. Just be careful. Although the enemy are in decline, they can still lash out and bite you."

"They can, but if so, it's a bite from a snake that already dead. I'll try to avoid even that, if I can, though." Barrel saluted.

James returned it. "I'm glad I can entrust this command to you. I'm already anxious about this army, and I haven't even left yet."

"I can understand, sir, or at least I think I might be able to."

"Well, at any rate, try not to blow everything left in this stretch of Equestria to bits while I'm gone."

"Ha ha, I'll try not to!"

James shook Barrel's hoof. "Good to work with you, General."

"Likewise, sir. Hope you get back soon."

James nodded, made sure everything he needed was packed, and proceeded out of the tent. A carriage awaited him outside the camp, ready to transfer him to the station in Trottingham. It was one of a few disadvantages he had; a pony could have walked, or even run, to the city (of course, a pegasus could fly there, if they so chose) without overly wearing themselves out too much.

Kiki followed him, jumping into the carriage with him. As the doors slammed shut, he was grateful for her company. The soldiers the carriage passed cheered, knowing who was inside. Some bore somber faces; he could understand. He had been bound with this army for half a year, though several terrible battles. They'd gotten to know one another.

He waved back in what he hoped was a friendly way, but he couldn't be sure; he was deeply moved by their confidence in him, in spite of his own shortcomings.

I could have done better, I know I could. More of you would be going home if I were a Rommel or Lee. I'm not. And my mistakes have proven it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trip to the station took about half the day. The train arrived at the hour it was supposed to, and while, inevitably, he drew curious glances, he made himself put up with it as he got on the train and sat down.

The ride wasn't all that out of the ordinary. The train sped by lush forests and green fields; the sun shone on lands that hadn't seen war, where war was nothing but an abstract idea... except, of course, to those who had lost loved ones.

Farmlands passed by in the window. He briefly wondered how Applejack's farm was doing. Probably quite well, as Ponyville hadn't been exposed to enemy attack throughout the war.

The Changelings were stopped in front of Appleloosa, he reminded himself, that was a desperate fight. And the Griffons... they got cocky, and didn't move fast enough at the beginning. That cost them the initiative. The worst thing (for us, anyway) they could have done, after beating us in the siege, would have been to follow and try to destroy us. It would have cost them, but they might have been able to do it. But then, they would have faced a new army. True, the new guys would have been recruits, but that has only so much to do with the big picture; eighty-thousand inexperienced soldiers can wear down it. Hmm. I don't know why they dallied with negotiations if they wanted war. Maybe they wanted to try and persuade the Princess to give up without a fight, but then why the big, noticeable build up and change in policy?

Perhaps the king was inexperienced. He'd only ruled for a few years, and those in peacetime. Whatever the reasons, the Griffons hadn't moved fast enough, and as a result, they'd effectively lost the war.

The Changelings, though... they were still a going concern. And if they were regaining their numbers... that could - no, would - be a problem. With most of the Equestrian forces fighting in the east, the army in the west had but five thousand soldiers to utilize in battle. The enemy facing them was still outnumbered, but growing ever more desperate; there were increasing attempts by Changeling drones to infiltrate the camp there.

Here I am, worrying about the army while I have no power to make anything happen. I suppose I should be glad I'm getting a rest. And, unless our army suffers a major disaster before I get there, we should be able to deal with the Changelings. He rested his head against the back of his seat. It was so comfortable, he just wanted to...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James opened his eyes as the train came to a stop. He stretched his arms, then picked up his bag as the conductor shouted that they had arrived in Canterlot. The sun was already starting to fall over the horizon.

As he shuffled onto another train that would take him to the front, he couldn't help trying to recollect the dream he'd had while napping. He knew it had involved Rainbow Dash flying a triplane from World War I, a uniformed Twilight Sparkle, and an angry Rarity shouting at a shame-faced Private Blueblood. Of course, like most dreams, much of what he'd dreamed was lost or forgotten very quickly, although he could remember the highlights.

He shrugged as he sat down. Dreams weren't as important right now as winning the war. He felt himself begin to fall asleep again almost at once.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"All out for Appleloosa!"

James stretched again, then grabbed the handle of his bag and walked out. He felt the scorching sun on him immediately, as well as the heat of the day. Why would anyone want to live in an environment like this? It's desert and sun-blasted land farther than the eye can see, and it's not like there's another town nearby. The only link to the outside world this place has is the railroad, and Heaven help them if it ever gets cut.

"Excuse, me, sir." James turned to his left. There stood two soldiers, one a Guard, the other a regular. "Are you the general?" the Guard asked.

"I am." Uh, who else could I be? As far as I am aware, I'm the only human being in Equestria presently.

"If you'll please step this way."

James followed the two soldiers to a cart that was in the process of being loaded with goods from the train. Provisions, what else? He sat down on the back of it as they finished.

"So what's going on out here in the west?" James asked the Guard as the soldiers sat down as well and the cart set off.

"You should know, sir. We've sent regular reports."

"I've seen them. But I want a personal account of what's going on here. Paper and ink don't always tell the whole story as well as a verbal account."

"Ah. Well, truth be told, it's not the bloodbath out east. The Changelings try not to fight at all, and it's easy to understand, considering that their army was almost wiped out in the first months of the war. When we catch some of them, though, they fight back as though they had every chance of success. They won't give up, and the only way we've been able to capture one is to disable it entirely, up to and including dog piling them and holding them down as we cuff them or tie them up."

"Hmm. Anything else?"

"Yes sir, and plenty. We've lost a fair amount of supplies, mostly food, due to improper wrapping and refrigeration, and the Changelings occasionally raid our supply lines, destroying ammunition and equipment we need. They're also trying really hard to infiltrate our camp; no doubt you'll be scanned quite a few times when you get there."

James noticed the Guard kept an extraordinary close watch on him as he said that last sentence. He's no fool, he thought as he realized what the Guard was doing. He's waiting to see my reaction, to see if I bolt or do something else to give myself away as a Changeling. "That'll be fine," he said. "Better to have security in this kind of situation, especially when the enemy can mimic you."

The Guard relaxed a little, but kept an eye on him. I probably wouldn't do much different, considering everything that's happened out west. "And how has morale been in the army?"

"Well, we're mostly sick and tired of chasing after them and not really being able to do much. It's not as high as it should be, but the boys will fight, make no mistake about that. It's just getting to the fighting that's the trick."

"I can promise that I'll try and bring them to battle. It probably won't be easy, but I'll give it my best shot."

"I guess that's all I can ask for." The cart continued on it's way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It took several hours to reach the camp. James wasn't surprised, but he was tired of all the hours wasted on travel. It was already late afternoon by the time they arrived.

He jumped off the wagon, bag in tow, and walked toward the sentries guarding the entrance. "Halt," one of them said. "Standby for scanning."

James wasn't surprised. He felt a weird sensation as the unicorn cast his spell. The ray of light the soldier cast moved up and down, until he finally stopped the spell. "Right, pass on," the soldier said.

"Alright. Thanks."

The Guard and the regular who had met him led him to his assigned tent. "I hope you enjoy your stay," the Guard said, in a teasing sort of tone. "I know it's not a first class hotel, but it's home."

James laughed. "So it is. At least, for now." He wondered how long he'd be staying here, and how soon he could fight the battle that he and the army needed to fight.

PreviousChapters Next