• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 13,710 Views, 1,965 Comments

The War of 1002 - Fireheart 1945



A young man with a love of military history and MLP;FIM finds himself dragged into Equestria.

  • ...
85
 1,965
 13,710

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 36; Back to Ponyville

James made sure he had loaded all his possessions into his bag as he waited for the train. The station was busy, but even so ponies would take time out from their day to stare at him. He was uncomfortable with that, but he could do nothing about it.

"Don't worry," Twilight said from beside him, "they're just curious."

"I still don't like being gawked at by passersby," he remarked. "It's like I'm a rare animal at the zoo, like I'm some sort of weird pet." He said that last word meaningfully.

Twilight winced. "Sorry. I know you must feel..."

"Cut off from the world I know? That the various species here may think of me as somehow inferior? Or perhaps as automatically dangerous? You personally know how wrong those assumptions are, what with the whole Zecora episode and all. And yet how many of them here are actively thinking in that direction?"

The blushes on the faces of the Mane Six told him all he needed to know, and he noticed similar effects on nearby ponies who had overheard the conversation.

"Well, at least you get to spend a week with us," Rainbow said at last, getting up from the bench and hovering in the air in from of him.

"I do," he nodded. He decided not to remind them that once that week was over, he would be going back into the war.

"Ah've got yer room set up and ready," Applejack said.

"Thanks."

"Shucks, ain't no trouble."

A steam whistle sounded in the distance. Puffs of gray smoke were visible in the distance as the train rolled toward the station. It arrived a few minutes later, with the passengers leaving the train with the haste expected in a major city.

A few could not hurry; two former soldiers - even if they no longer wore a uniform, the respect in their nods and the salute one gave him confirmed that they had been in the service - came off the train, one supporting the other, who was missing most of his hind leg.

"Oh my," Fluttershy whimpered.

"Take a good long look," he said, waving a hand towards them. "This is the price required for liberty. These two were lucky; they came back. Far too many have not. Always remember their sacrifice, for through it you can still lead your lives as you wish."

None of them bothered to offer an argument. He could hear Fluttershy fight back tears.

Blasted invaders, Griffons and Changelings all. When I return, I'll see to it that the only way you see this city is through the fences of a prison camp.

The others began boarding the train, carrying their luggage with them. The bustle of a busy station soon took over.

James extended the handle on his bag and pulled it along behind him as he walked toward the second car in the train, where the others were boarding.

"General," came an almost mystical voice.

He looked around, but he didn't see the speaker.

"Behind you."

He whipped around. Only a few feet away stood Night Sky, the mother who had taken the stand in support of his cause in court. He jumped slightly, then recovered.

She smiled, fangs and all. "It is a valued talent among those who serve the Princess of the Night that we may surprise all, even the very subjects of the kingdom."

"It seems to be in working condition here."

She gave him that smile again. Then her face became serious. "I wanted to meet my sons' commander before he left the city."

James bowed his head. "Nightshade is an exceptional officer, and I'm sure Night Star was a valiant soldier, if he was anything like his brother."

"The two were almost identical in character and inseparable," Night Sky confirmed, nodding. "They were both dedicated to serving our Princess." She gave his a discerning look. "Some might say that some of your words in court were... troublesome."

James sighed. Religion again. "I told them the truth in there," he replied. "I had no intentions of insulting anyone. And if it weren't for the judge, I might not have had to say anything in the religious spectrum."

She looked into his face for a minute. Finally, she nodded. "I can respect our differences in that regard. But be warned, as many among the Night Guard take their beliefs with the utmost seriousness, regardless of who is right in this instance."

"Thank you for your understanding, and for the warning." He held his hat in his hand as he continued, "Once more, you have my condolences."

"You were right when you addressed the Bearers," Night Sky said, "The price of our freedom are the lives and the blood of our soldiers. I despise this conflict, even though I have strong ties with the Lunar Guard. But it must be fought out to it's conclusion. When you return from your leave, you'll have what you need to end this war and the bloodshed once and for all."

"I will do my utmost." He saluted her.

"All aboard!"

"Merde, that's the conductor," James muttered. To Night Sky, he said, "I'm sorry to have to leave you so soon, but my train is about to leave."

She gave him that smile yet again; perhaps it was usual for thestrals. "We will meet again, I'm certain of it."

He gave her another quick salute before running aboard the train. By the time he had found a seat and had sat down, Night Sky was nowhere to be seen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The car was packed with ponies. He could practically feel their stares, even when he couldn't see the ones looking at him. He pretended to ignore them, taking out a Civil War book and reading it.

Or, he would have read it, if not for an interruption.

"So, rumor has it we captured a Chang..." Rainbow began

"Shhhh!" James hissed in a loud whisper. "That information is supposed to stay quiet; it's secret, you understand?"

"Oh, sorry. But did we?"

James thought back to about two hours before boarding the train, with his last discussion with Rand.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James walked through the castle corridor, stopping in front of a rather conspicuous door.

Two Guards blocked the way in. "Sorry sir, but we have to scan you," one of them, a unicorn, said.

"By all means, go ahead and do so." He waited as the tingling from the spell rippled through his body.

"Alright, you're the real deal," the unicorn in the pair confirmed "You may enter, General, but be careful; I'd trust that thing just as far as I could throw it. Without magic, mind you."

James frowned slightly upon hearing that last. Racism, or perhaps discrimination was a more accurate word, would be a struggle if the pony and Changeling species were ever to live in peace. But complaining about it would do him no good here; the look on the Guard's face confirmed that. "I thank you for the advice," he managed, a few seconds later than he should have.

He unlocked the door and stepped inside. Rand the Changeling was lying on a bed inside the room, reading one of the books from the bookshelves surrounding him. A solitary window was the main source of light for the entire room at the moment, though he saw a lamp in the corner of the room.

Rand looked up as the sound of the door opening caught his ears. "James!"

"Yeah, it's me," he said, less enthusiastically than the insectile being on the bed. "Just came to see how things are going for you."

"So far it's better than I thought it would be." Rand stretched. "I wish it was easier to get out of this room. Don't get me wrong," he added on seeing James' worried expression, "I'm not being starved or beaten or ignored or anything like that. But the Guards don't trust me, and most of the time that I'm not talking with the Princesses I'm stuck in here."

"Are you allowed any freedom whatsoever?"

"Some. I'm not a prisoner, or at least that's what I've been told. Sure feels like it, though. At least the food isn't prison slop."

"I'll chat with someone, hopefully things will lighten up for you a bit."

"I can understand their feelings, though," Rand said quietly. "I know, I was in the original assault on the city a little less than a year ago. I can still feel the fear, still hear the terrified screams as they ran from us."

That was going to be a major obstacle to Rand being accepted, James reflected. He hadn't seen much of the attack while watching the show; he'd mostly seen the parts attaining to the Bearers. He hadn't seen main battle for the city - if it could be called a battle, as most Guards he'd spoken to had maintained that they had been overrun surprisingly quick.

"Hopefully some of them will soften up after the war ends," James said at last. "How have your sessions with the Princesses gone?"

"To be honest, they're one of the few things I look forward to," Rand admitted, looking a little happier. "At least Princess Celestia doesn't judge me harshly, though Princess Luna hasn't warmed up to me yet. I guess it might be because she feels guilty she wasn't there, and she's trying to make up for it now by being extra vigilant."

"I think she'll come around."

"Maybe, eventually. But Princess Celestia is very nice, even knowing was in on the attack. She doesn't go overboard, and she know when she's' pushing her limits when she asks me questions."

"Well, if you're doing so well with her, why are stuck here most of the time?"

"Probably advice from the Guards. Most of them would love any excuse to throw me into the dungeon."

"That sucks."

"Tell me about it.' The Changeling looked up at him. "Why haven't you come to see me before now? You've been here for a few days from what I've heard."

James did his best not to wince. That struck home. "Sorry Rand. I had the trial to deal with. You wouldn't believe some of the bullshit they tried to put me and Shining Armor through. The rest of it was that I was exhausted mentally from all the stress and I didn't think of it until now. It's been a tough war, so say the least."

Rand nodded. "Okay, I guess I can understand that. I still wish you had come sooner."

"Yeah. Well, in any case, my train leaves in a couple hours. I have to get ready. Sorry to leave you so soon, buddy."

"Oh, you're leaving?"

"Sorry. If it wasn't a week's leave, it would be right back to the war."

Rand bowed his head. "You're the first one outside my hive who ever trusted me, who was willing to befriend me."

James felt his heart swell.

"I sometimes feel like I'll never be accepted, even with all the help."

"Don't let them tell you that; more importantly, never tell yourself that." He patted the Changeling on the head. "You have me and the Princess, and if she says something in this country, it goes. And, if I may say so, there is One who is willing to look past your exterior and see into your heart."

Rand looked up again. "Who is this 'One?'"

"I gave Princess Luna a book to borrow recently. I'm willing to bet she'll let you read it if you tell her I told you about it. That should give you your answer."

Rand looked confused; even though his eyes had no discernible pupils, that much was evident. But he didn't protest or complain. "Uh, okay."

James patted what counted for a mane among Changelings. "You'll get through this storm, trust me, and then you'll feel even better than you did going into it." He stood up. "As for me, I have a leave to get to, then a war to fight. This could be the last time we meet, given the inconvenient fact that war tends to kill those involved."

Rand got up, hugging the human commander. "Please get through the war alive. I don't want love the way other Changelings do; I want friends, for real."

"I'll see what I can do. Don't worry, it's not like I'm going to charge off alone into a machine gun nest."

"A what?"

"Never mind." James gave him a friendly noogie. "You take care of yourself now, and don't let some kid with a helmet get you down."

"I won't, I promise."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Uh, hello?"

"Huh?" James grunted, refocusing on the present. Rainbow was staring at him; it had been her voice that had shaken him out of the not-so-distant past.

"You sorta zoned out there for a minute."

"Oh." He looked around to see them all looking at him. "What did you say again?"

"I asked if we... if we captured one."

"One? Oh, right. That." He cleared his throat. "Yes," he whispered, "it's true. We caught him shortly before the big attack on their fortress."

"What was it like?" Twilight asked.

"'It' is a 'he', and he was... different from the others. For one thing, he was... detached from the usual insectile thought patterns that most of them have."

"What did you guys do with it?"

"I told you, Rainbow, 'it's' a 'he', and he is currently in the palace, with daily talks with the Princesses."

Rainbow looked a little put off. "Why are you guys showing it so much mercy? Doesn't the Princess remember what those things did on the day of the royal wedding?"

James must have begun to visibly lose his temper, because she backed off after seeing the expression on his face. "Rand was born a misfit among the Changeling hive, one of the few capable of independent thought and action from the rest. He is not an insect, nor is he a monster any more than any of you. The first time we saw him - after which we took him prisoner - he was staring into a pool of water, wondering if he was going to have to hide who he was forever. He had to hide who he was for his entire life; if the queen had realized what he was capable of, she wouldn't have hesitated to terminate him."

"T-t-terminate?" Fluttershy shivered, bringing her hooves up to her mouth.

"That was his word for it, not mine. And since his capture, he has told us much about our enemy, and he has become a loyal friend, even if his freedom is... restricted at the moment. I am willing to trust him with my life, and I will not tolerate any word of insult or derogatory intent toward him." He gave himself some time to breathe. "He actually reminds me of you, Fluttershy."

The yellow pegasus went red in the face from embarrassment; she hadn't been free of discriminatory thought in this case. The others looked disconcerted at the news James had just revealed to them, and, he was satisfied to see, a little ashamed. Only Rainbow remained recalcitrant, but she said nothing further.

"Well, if you say it's okay to trust him, then ah for one am willin' to give him a chance," Applejack declared.

"Thank you," James said in relief.

"Hey guys," Pinkie said, appearing out of nowhere with a pile of cakes in her forehooves, "I just got back from the dining car; they had a sale on cakes! Want one?"

The next hour or so was spent eating delicious Equestrian cuisine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clouds of steam enveloped the train as it stopped in Ponyville Station. Ponies walked off the train, carrying their luggage as stallions working with the mail lugged bags of letters and postcards in and out of the cars.

James stepped off the train, pulling his bag behind him. The Mane Six walked off behind him, all of them chatting up a storm; as far as he could tell, it was new designs and fashions, which was not surprising given that Rarity had been the one to bring it up. He paid little attention to it; his uniform was all he needed for clothing, though he wouldn't have said no to a set of pajamas.

He was again the target of many a gaze; the few times he looked back, most of the ponies would look away and make as if they hadn't been watching him. A few, all either soldiers on leave or discharged veterans, gave him respectful nods as he passed by them, which, along with the occasional salutes, he returned.

"James, dear," came Rarity's voice, snapping him out of his thoughts, "you really must come by my boutique; your uniform is all torn and ragged; you shouldn't be seen in public wearing this!"

He thought about arguing the point that it just going to reach a similar, if not worse, condition once he returned to the battlefield, but her expression was determined, and he knew she wasn't going to take no for an answer. "If there's no saying no to it, I will go with you."

"Thank you, dear. Right this way."

She led him down the streets as the others followed. The town didn't look any different than the last time he had set foot there; it was as if there was no war at all. Other than a few ponies reading the newspapers, there was no sign of a desperate struggle against invaders. Heavy industry had yet to come to the town, which was fine by him; he didn't like the idea of a dozen smokestacks blocking out the sky anyway.

When he remarked on that, Twilight's eyes lit up with the chance to use her knowledge of history. "Ponyville is mostly an agricultural town, with a few minor industries. You probably don't know this, but the town was founded by Earth ponies-"

"I know; remember, I have my ways of knowing."

"Oh. right."

He could see he had caused her some embarrassment, as her face had gone red. "Sorry, please continue."

Twilight perked up somewhat. "Anyway, the town was founded by settlers including the Apple family. They succeeded in creating a viable economy from exporting Zap Apple Jam and many other crops. In due time, pegasi moved in, getting jobs manipulating the weather, and eventually unicorns began to turn up as well. It wasn't long before the town was prosperous."

"Glad to hear it. But aren't there a lot of gemstones around here?"

"Oh, yes, but mostly we only go to look for them when we have need for them, like for Rarity's dresses. Most of the ponies here don't want to mess up the place with a mining complex."

He nodded. "Good. Are there other reason for the town's wellbeing, like it's location?"

The purple unicorn nodded. "Yes, it's a convenient place for a railroad station, and the town's early good start gave extra incentive for the railroad companies to set one up. Just from looking on a map, you can see that Ponyville links to several towns and cities directly by rail, making it a vital checkpoint."

"Again, good. I shall mourn the day the train is no longer in service. Hopefully, it shall not come in my lifetime."

"Hey Jimmy," Rainbow asked suddenly, "what's been giving you trouble in the war?"

He turned around. "Who gave you that name?"

She giggled. "One of the soldiers coming home from the war. He kept talking about 'Uncle Jim,' and it doesn't take an egghead to know it was you he talking about."

"I'm not convinced he was. I am nowhere near the age to be an uncle."

Everyone laughed.

James wiped his forehead. "Please do not refer to me by that in public. As for your original question... do any of you know what mercenaries are?"

Rainbow's face showed no recognition, but Twilight gave him a nod. "I do. They're usually bands of people who are paid money to fight a war, but they're only in it for the money, not for the cause itself."

"Well, that's what's been giving us trouble. The Griffons paid a massive number of Diamond dogs and Minotaurs to fight for them after their original armies had been kicked around."

"M-m-m-m-minotaurs?" Fluttershy stammered.

"Diamond dogs?" Rarity gasped.

"Yes, enough to easily number forty thousand and more. We were expecting to face only ten thousand Griffon troops. You could imagine my surprise when I saw the first of them run out of a cornfield to attack our lines. Fortunately for us, we beat off that particular attack with little trouble, but their sheer numbers made them dangerous at Sugar Cane River. I'll tell you more about the battle later, if only so you can understand better the danger we were in."

"You know, for someone who is fighting a war, you make it sound almost bloodless," Rarity noted.

"I doubt there is any soldier who truly enjoys doing what he does," James replied quietly. "It is a condition that tests not only courage but the sanity, integrity, and morality of those who fight in it. Most soldiers wish they hadn't had to fight, to do what needed to be done for their survival." Seeing that they all cringed at the thought, he added, "Perhaps you now realize why war is a means of absolute last resort. War is a matter of life or death, of survival or extinction."

Any frivolous notions they may have held were replaced by seriousness. Twilight said, "That last bit sounded like a quotation."

"Yes, from Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

"Soon Zoo?" Rainbow asked, making a mockery of the name.

"S-U-N, T-Z-U. He was a Chinese general, a master of his craft. His writings are practically holy writ to militaries in the Far East."

"Why didn't they get further than they did?" Twilight asked.

"I suspect it is because they violated one of Sun Tzu's main tenets; 'the victorious army seeks victory first, then goes to war. The defeated army goes to war first, then seeks victory'. That's just what they did. We beat them again and again early on because they didn't take the idea of resistance seriously... not until it was far too late for many of their soldiers. They thought it was going to be a cakewalk. The defeats we inflicted in the first Trottingham campaign kept them off balance. And, for all intents and purposes, they didn't even imagine being caught in the frozen hell of talvisota."

"Of what?" Rarity and Rainbow asked at the same time.

"It's Finnish; it means, 'winter war'. They tried hiding out the winter in forts, thinking we would never dare hit them. Well, we did, and we gave them a beating. It was only after winter was over and the spring campaign was well underway that they finally realized they were in trouble and hired the mercenaries that kept us from the fast end to the war that we'd hoped for."

"And...? How well did they fight?" Twilight asked with trepidation.

"The Diamond dogs were generally cowards; if you got enough of them, they'd turn around and run back to their mommies. The Minotaurs, though, were something different altogether, and thank God there weren't more of them than there were, and that they hated using ranged weapons; they'd run straight at us, axes high in the air, and they would fall because we used guns and they didn't. They were tough, I'll give them that. Usually took several of us aiming at the same one to knock them down. And in the few cases that they got close enough to fight with their axes, they were... well, I didn't like having one yelling in my face while he tried to take my head off, lets go with that."

That kept everyone silent for a while as they digested his words.

"W-when will it be over?" Fluttershy asked, tears in her eyes.

Who says it'll ever be over? asked a part of James' mind. The more rational part countered the question; the enemies currently in the field had no foreseeable reinforcements, other nations had agreed to send troops and offer support, and the griffons would be overcome, of that he was certain. He hoped they would give up before he had to batter down their capital, but he doubted that. They were a very stubborn people, and in his heart he knew it would take his soldiers parading through the streets of Gryphos to bring home the message of defeat to the Griffons.

"I don't know, he said aloud. "It'll be over when we crush their armies, and, in the case of the Griffons, take their capital. Until then, we have little choice but to fight. I know the Princess is hoping for peace, but that won't come through talking, not with the Griffons, and especially not with the Changelings."

"We're here," Rarity announced.

James looked up to see Carousel Boutique looming over him. All the same, he suspected Rarity was trying to change the subject, mostly to cheer up Fluttershy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright, dear," Rarity said as they entered, "now if you'll just give me your clothes, I'll... Oh, right," she blushed, remembering, "it's a human taboo to go about without clothes."

"I do have the stuff I wore originally here, I can wear those until you're done. And thanks."

"Oh, it's my pleasure; fashion and clothing are my passions, it's always a delight."

James walked into the bathroom and changed quickly back into his civilian clothes - These feel small - and handing over his uniform for repair.

Rarity eyed it closely. "Hmm, lots of - ugh - dirt and dust, along with rips and tears galore. It will take awhile to sew these rips back together, never mind getting all the filth out of it, but it should be easily ready by this time tomorrow." She used her magic to dip the various bits and pieces of it - hat included - in a tub of water. "Since the announcement of the army's founding, I've had plenty of work to keep my hooves busy," she went on. "I have more than enough money to live off of, enough so that I can send decent amounts of it to charity and use the rest of it to spruce up my business. Every tailor in the country has been busy making uniforms for the soldiers." Her voice dropped slightly. "I just wish the clothes we were making these days weren't being used in the war. For that matter, I wish the war itself hadn't happened; it's so... depressing when one receives notice that a customer was... is no more," she finished.

Twilight looked crestfallen. "I knew more than a few Royal Guards during my stay in Canterlot. I've... I've..." She found it hard to continue as tears formed in her eyes. "I've seen some of the list of those who died," she finally continued. "I knew more than a few of them. It... hurts, to know I'll never see them again."

"The war has taken those lives and more," James noted. "It's for their sakes, and for those who still live, that we have to win. It'll pain me more than anything if they die in vain. I commanded most of them. Believe me, as the one who gave the orders that sent them into battle, it hurts me as badly as anyone else."

"But you don't think we'll lose, do you?" Rainbow asked.

"No," he said, waving his hand for emphasis. "With the new recruits, we'll have between ninety to a hundred thousand soldiers fighting the Griffons, and around ten thousand fighting maybe five hundred to a thousand Changelings. But a responsible commander doesn't assume victory will come just because the odds seem in his favor; many great leaders were defeated because they thought like that. I'll admit, I was guilty of it myself, until the news of the mercenaries got to me."

"But you have so much knowledge about war," Twilight protested.

"That does not make me or anyone else immune to mistakes. A general could, for his entire life, read up on military strategies, tactics, formations, conditions, et cetera, and still make a mistake here and there. Just because someone has knowledge, about any subject, does not annul their condition to slip up in that subject."

There was a short silence as this took hold in their minds.

"What time would you like me to return here to pick this up?" James asked.

"Oh," Rarity said, giving a little jump, "about one o' clock in the afternoon would be nice."

"Thanks."

"Now y'all get the visit the farm," Applejack said warmly, wrapping her foreleg around his neck. "Applebloom's been dyin' to see you again."

"Alright then, I guess it would be rude to keep her waiting." They all had a good laugh as James and the farmer pony left the store.

PreviousChapters Next