• Published 23rd Dec 2011
  • 2,614 Views, 8 Comments

The Elements of Discord - Gabriel LaVedier



The Mane Six: Interaction, confusion, misunderstanding... Tragedy?

  • ...
4
 8
 2,614

Third Strike/Third Charm

Fluttershy sighed softly, running another piece of material through the sewing machine. She had spent a lot of time as Rarity’s assistant, unofficially of course, with very little coming of it, except for the productions of very beautiful dresses that had been created with great skill and set out perfectly. And yet, with all that, Rarity had only ever been focused on her project for Twilight Sparkle. A project which, she feared, would harm Rarity.

Rarity herself was laying collapsed on her drafting table, shaking her head lightly. Before her were sketches upon sketches, all the dresses she had designed for Twilight were there. She had carefully measured and cut material for each one, and tried, over and over, to get Twilight into them. But, time and again, she had been rejected. And towards the end, the rejections had grown sharper and more direct. “What’s wrong with me? Can it be… I’ve lost my touch? Oh… This is terrible.”

“Oh Rarity…” Fluttershy stopped the machine, turning and trotting over to Rarity, hooves gently placed upon her back. “No, you’ve still got all your talents. I think all these designs are beautiful. Would you like to come to the spa? Maybe a good steam, massage and mud facial will make you feel better.”

“No, no… I cannot leave this here. I must work on this more. You are correct, Fluttershy. All my talents are still intact. But I have not hit the perfect design that will move Twilight. I need to work harder. Perhaps with enough thought and designing, I can find that one, perfect style that will make her smile.” Rarity took up the pencil again and began to sketch on the huge expanse.

“You always… You always make me smile, Rarity…” Fluttershy said, in her tiniest voice, slowly going back to the sewing machine. Every stitch she made felt empty. If she wasn’t doing it for Rarity’s affection, it seemed almost pointless… She shook her head and redoubled her focus. No! It wasn’t right to think like that. Rarity was a friend. And, she loved her greatly. Even if she never saw… Like that poor little bird that made the flowers bloom, she was determined to give her all for this.

- - -

Twilight had been gone for days. Spike explained she was traveling to see an old professor, and Celestia knew where she was. He also, with some sideways looking, implied she was going to get some rest and relaxing in, to help her recover from all of her study and sleeplessness.

The library was quiet in her absence, and Spike took the time to slack off, and just relax in his basket most of the time. It was a rare treat. He also, quite often, made his various fruitless sallies to try and win Rarity’s heart. But he found her more distracted and disinterested than usual. So he accepted his fate and just enjoyed trying, wondering why he hadn’t tried to convince Twilight to take a vacation earlier.

One morning, as Spike was lazily eating amethyst spears in caramel sauce while dreaming of a mighty beard, the library doors opened wide, and Twilight stepped through. She looked good. Calmer, healthier, better rested. Spike smiled as he looked her over. That was the pony he knew. “Wow. You look good. I guess old Crescent Sliver put your head on right.”

Twilight nodded slowly, as she thought back on the words the professor had given her as a parting gift, her jealousy missing the message and cutting down to the core of its own desire. ‘I was angry with my foe:/ I told it not, my wrath did grow … In the morning glad I see/ My foe outstretched beneath the tree.’ A smile spread across her face, a passable imitation of genuine happiness. “He was such a wonderful help. After talking with him, everything’s so much clearer.”

- - -

‘First off, Applesmack, you’re not worth attention. And secondly, and most importantly, Rainbow Dash is incapable of affection. She doesn’t love you, because she can’t. She doesn’t love you because she can’t. Applesmack. She doesn’t love you. Applesmack. She can’t. Applesmack. Applesmack. Applesmack…’ Applejack was repeating Gilda’s words over and over in her head, while she lounged, without feeling relaxed, under one of her precious apple trees.

She tried to focus on the details of the last encounter. It seemed like the right thing to do. What stood out most was that name. Rainbow Dash had called her that once. It had never meant much before. But now it meant so much more. It was a term from Rainbow Dash, in Gilda’s mouth. Had she been… Watching them? That had been so long ago. What had changed? Applejack realized. She had been getting closer to Rainbow Dash. Actually trying to get her to notice.

Gilda had been waiting. Watching. Probably waiting for the best moment to get back into Rainbow Dash’s good graces. Then the unexpected had happened. Someone else fell in love with her. She had a chance as long as she could make Rainbow Dash forget about her explosion. She could say she changed. But with somepony else… Somepony kind and sweet… She’d have no hope against someone that really loved her.

That explained everything. Gilda was angry that Rainbow Dash might move on. That was why she said Rainbow Dash couldn’t love anyone. She assumed Rainbow Dash’s non-affection for her was universal. Any sign that it wasn’t, or even the potential of that, was enough to drive her to do most anything. She was torturing Applejack to a frazzled nub to keep Rainbow Dash alone and unloved. And unloving.

- - -

“Hey, Twilight, I thought you said Crescent Sliver put your head back on right. What’s with the book stacks again? I figured you’d give it up for a while.” Spike face-clawed on seeing Twilight back inside a fort of books, apparently relapsing hard.

“Spike… When have you ever known me to NOT surround myself with a pile of books and study until you tell me it’s lunch, dinner, snack or bedtime?” Twilight casually looked over her shoulder, the book before her hovering placidly in the air.

“Well… You know… I was just… Ok, you’re right.” Spike looked fairly defeated, then brightened back up. “Anyway, it’s lunchtime.” While he led the mare away from her studies he took a quick look at her choice in books. “Weather stuff? Since when do unicorns care about weather? I thought pegasi built weather in factories and then distributed it around. Don’t tell me you’re going to give yourself wings. Remember the Pony Gaga incident with Rarity?”

“Ugh, yes… Never again, Spike, never again. No, it’s nothing like that. I don’t intend to pursue it professionally. But it can’t hurt to learn what I can. I AM, after all, an autodidact…”

“Oh my gosh!” Spike clamped his hands over his mouth and gave a wide-eyed stare to Twilight. “Twilight, I had no idea. Are there pills for that? Or is that slang for something like they keep using on those shows on after dark?”

“Oh Spike. ‘Autodidact’ means that I’m largely self-taught. Technically it would mean that I had no formal education, but in this case it just means that I’m a self-learner when it comes to things that interest me. And right now, weather interests me. Look!” Twilight concentrated, her horn glowing slightly. After a moment, a small whirlwind appeared before her, spinning rapidly before the glow ceased and it simply blew itself out.

“Hey, that’s pretty good. Even Pegasus ponies on weather detail need to start flapping like crazy to make a whirlwind. But, uhh… It’s kinda small. I don’t think you’re gonna put the Ponyville weather bureau out of business anytime soon.”

“Come on. I’d never try to put those fine ponies out of business. This is just for my own amusement, and to expand the number of magical skills I possess. The Princess with be very proud of me. And I know it’s not so powerful right now. But you know me, Spike. I’ll practice hard to get up to a more impressive level. That’s how I am. Maybe a bit of a perfectionist, but it all pays off.”

- - -

Pinkie Pie sighed softly, enjoying a break at her job. The great metal monster was silent, all of her pastry delivery boxes filled, all the ready-stock prepared. She still had the rest of her shift, but as long as her job was done the Cakes didn’t care how she spent it. She was enjoying herself with her pranking plans, obsessively tweaking them as new ideas drifted in and out of her head.

“Ummm… Pinkie Pie?” Fluttershy timidly stuck her head into the back room, casting her eyes around the room. She didn’t want to disturb the workday, and didn’t want the Cakes to see her and make a fuss about interruption of the business day.

“Oh! Hey Fluttershy! What are you doing here? Aren’t you usually taking care of all your critters and helping Rarity with her sewing and things? I thought you had to finish her summer line for next year.” Pinkie quickly zipped around, pulling up two chairs, a small table and a plate of treats. Seemingly from nowhere.

“I just came from there. Rarity’s boutique, I mean. I finished the first stitches on some of the last of the dresses. With the designs done, now the production has to happen, and I’ve been working on that. But… Well, Rarity has been… She’s… She’s working very hard on a special project. But it’s not really… It could be going better.” Fluttershy, not questioning Pinky’s actions, calmly sat in the chair closest to her and took the smallest of the offered treats, a sugar cookie, nibbling on it delicately.

“Come on, you can tell me! Just trust in your Auntie Pinkie to help you out in your icky hour of need!” Pinkie sat at the table herself, producing a pot of tea and cups from her usual, mysterious Pinkie-space, pouring a bit for herself and Fluttershy.

“Um, I’m still a year older than you…” Fluttershy mumbled, though a full mouth. She took a sip of the extremely sweet tea before continuing, slightly louder. “She’s trying to make the perfect gown for Twilight. But… She means absolutely perfect. Flawless. And to do that, Twilight has to love it. But… Well… Twilight has been so strange lately, almost not like herself. And then she was gone for a while. It’s been so hard on Rarity.”

“Awww, that’s no good at all. Rarity’s usually so happy and cheerful! She’s the best designer in all of Ponyville. I think the problem is Twilight doesn’t like fancy-dancey gowns, hates being fussed over and is in love with me but can’t admit it to herself.” Pinkie gobbled three entire cupcakes in a single bite and then power-chugged a full cup of tea.

Fluttershy daintily spluttered a sip of tea back into her cup, staring disbelievingly at the casual statement of such a thing. “Oh my… But that means… Rarity is just hurting herself for no reason. Twilight hasn’t said anything. She just keeps turning down the dresses.”

“Oh, she wouldn’t. Twilight thinks she’s too smart and school-y to fall for someone like me. She’s so silly. I mean, just because I’m from a line of stern and plain, buttonless Rock Farmers, throw lots of parties and live in a giant cupcake above the bakery I work in, it doesn’t mean I’m wrong for her.”

“You certainly seem very confident. But you just said Twilight doesn’t think you’re right for each other at all. How can you be so cheerful when she thinks you’re not compatible?”

“Oh, I try not to think about that! After all, it’s enough to know she really cares about me. I can always tell. She eats all the super-duper sugary sweet treats I bring for her, even if she’s always talking about nutrition, and tooth care and glucose and stuff. But she still eats them, and she DOES like them. But mostly she does it to make me happy. I want her to say it, but I’m happy knowing she thinks it.” Pinkie gave a big, bright smile, eyes huge and liquid, quivering with delight.

“Oh my… You certainly… Certainly feel a lot for her.” Fluttershy pulled back from the table a bit, somewhat disturbed by the passion and depth put forth by Pinkie. “But… Maybe she can’t tell. I mean, you feel so many things for so many ponies. All the emotions might be blending together.”

“Nope! Couldn’t happen! Twilight’s WAY too smart for that kind of thing. She can tell the difference between me being friends with everybody and throwing all kinds of parties and all the things I do for her. She can tell the things I do are just for her, and special. Yea, this is fine. She’s got it figured out and knows me perfectly.” Pinkie casually gobbled some cookies and had another cup of tea, looking supremely confident.

- - -

“She spreads her affections around without a care. She’s so trusting, so naive, such a farm girl, susceptible to deception, more so than anyone else. She hasn’t given me any indication of what she feels. And she’s in the clutches of Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash…” Twilight paced back and forth in the library, shaking her head while she talked to herself and attempted to summon more and more whirlwinds, focusing on numbers rather than strength. Her progress in learning the manipulation of weather was going well. Learning…

“Professor?” Twilight looked up to the dark stallion, as he wiped the chalkboard with an eraser in the grip of his horn’s magic.

“Ahh, my favorite student. Soon to be former student. Congratulations my dear. First you were selected to be here. And now directly with Celestia. You’re moving up in the world.” Professor Crescent Sliver smiled down at Twilight, gingerly setting the eraser down.

“Yes. I’m sure my parents will be very proud. They’ve never been happier since I managed to get into this academy. I’m happy, too. This has been on of the best experiences of my life.”

“I am glad to see you enjoy this experience so greatly. And I am glad to provide even a small part of that happiness. But, I suspect there is something besides happiness behind your new visit. To think of it, where is Spike?”

“He’s having his scales buffed and his claws done. Honestly, he loves living in the lap of luxury here. Well, he can get used to it. After all, it’s not like he’s going anywhere drastically different.” Twilight laughed lightly and shook her head, before looking down. “But to the main point… I’m feeling a little… Uncertain.”

Crescent Sliver nodded his head a touch, taking a seat behind his desk. “I understand. This IS a particularly large step. And such an important one. It changes everything.”

“But that’s the problem. It’s not… It’s not just that. It’s something that has been on my mind for a while. I threw myself into my studies. I consumed all the knowledge I could. I did everything I could to learn. But learning never gave me any… Happiness. I was happy when I did things. When my learning gave me something I needed. But just learning didn’t do that.”

The professor looked down to his desk, considering his response carefully. With a glow of his horn he brought a book down from a far wall. It was little opened, as could be gleaned from the creak of the bindings and the sharply crisp rustle of pages as they turned. “’But grief should be the instructor of the wise;/ Sorrow is knowledge: they who know the most/ Must mourn the deepest o’er the fatal truth,/ The Tree of Knowledge is not that of life.’” The book slammed shut with a heavy thud, and went back across the room to its place on the shelf.

Twilight was somewhat taken aback by the entire thing, both the words and the rather sharp shutting of the book. “P-professor… That’s very…”

“Discomforting? Yes. And while I may not be a fan of ‘Manfred’, as you may have seen from the condition of the tome, I cannot doubt the truth of the matter expressed therein; would that I could.” The professor shook his head and let out a long, slow sigh. “This is truth… To an extent. As you have said, you can do things that make you happy. But there is something about learning… The more you know, the less you can doubt and ignore about the world. You know things that can go wrong, and those that have. Troubles, difficulties, all the thousands of little things that will grind on you, because you know the answer or what is going wrong.”

Twilight looked down, her forelegs shuffling a bit. “Is that… How it’s going to be? Learning will never make me happy?”

“Learning will make you happy if you love to learn. If you get delight from poring over tomes and learning new magical skills, then I am sure your life will be an endless string of happiness. But know this: All those books are only books. And all that knowledge is just knowledge. You’re the one that gives form and meaning to all that you see and do. If it matters and means something to you, it will make you happy indeed.”

The whirlwinds blustered around the library, growing larger, whipping loose paper around the room as they passed. They remained stable for a brief moment as they grew before spinning out of control and blowing themselves out. Twilight smiled. This learning was going well. And it mattered so very much.

“Twilight? Are you, oh! You’re here. Good.” Sweetie Belle came into the library as the last of the papers fell to the ground, nothing else indicating anything had been transpiring. The young filly had saddlebags slung over her back, bulging with papers and writing materials. “I needed some help with my play. And I thought you’d be a good pony to ask.”

Twilight regarded Sweetie Belle with a sincere smile. She had been rather mean to the young filly before her trip. And though she had been deep in the grip of a confused indecision, that was no excuse. “Of course, I’d be glad to. And I hope you managed to include Applebloom. I know she doesn’t begrudge you, but it IS the kind of thing a friend would do.”

“I know, and I really did try to work her in.” Sweetie Belle clopped to one of the low tables and extracted a few very scribbly sheets of paper, along with several pencils. “I made the friend role bigger, gave her a speech and tried to move her away from being a clumsy comic pony.”

The papers levitated slowly and passed before Twilight, who read them with a critical eye. “Four acts. Very unusual but that’s good. Variable length, I see, experimental. Music. Lots of music. Mostly instrumental and chorus, so that’s… Is this a key character song? ‘Rainbow- Revelation’? Hmm… ‘Take my revelation’. A lot of this is very culturally unique. And more lilies. Not to mention all these characters in the margins. When did you learn about Neighpon?”

“Rarity. She LOVES buying stuff from Neighpon. She speaks some of the language, to keep up with the latest fashion news. But mostly she just reads all these books filled with pictures of lilies, like that one about the Pegasus warriors, or the five about fillies in school. Lotsa big, heavy books with lotsa pictures. So I decided to read some of the translations she did and see what I could get. How is it?”

“Very good. It has an exotic feel, but I see you still haven’t moved Applebloom’s character up into acts three and four. But so far it’s looking good. And I really think you should add more songs. You’re a natural, Sweetie. You deserve to let your talent out. After all, if you’re going to be on stage, you can sing.”

“Yea but… Like I said… Scootaloo is the star. She’s got all the personality and confidence. I’m there to look pretty.” Sweetie Belle blushed softly and looked down away from Twilight.

There was a silent moment of consideration, before a hoof came up to gently lift Sweetie Belle’s face. “When I was your age, pretty mares made my breath catch, and turned my head. I couldn’t help it, and couldn’t stop myself. As I grew up, they just kept doing it. And I did lots of things when someone asked: gave up desserts and gave free tutoring.”

Sweetie Belle looked to the side, trying to move her head back down but failing to move the hoof beneath her chin. “I… I don’t… I mean, I…”

“I wasn’t in love. I was never in love. My head turned and I sighed, but nothing else. I would give anything to have actually been in love. Don’t be ashamed to say it. You did it for Scootaloo because you love her.”

Sweetie Belle nodded her head a little and looked up to Twilight. “But we’re just fillies. I don’t want to… Things can happen. There’s a lot of sad things in all the books. Fillies aren’t the best ones to be in love.”

“Those are just stories. The writers love to tug on the heartstrings, and the artists know that sadness moves the ponies looking at it. They’re more dramatic. That’s why there are stories like that all over the place. The kind that reflect the real face of love is rare. I don’t quite know how it is, but I just have heard it’s nothing like what the books say.”

Sweetie Belle give a slow nod. “I know. There’s lots of couples out there that look fine. Like Lyra and Bon Bon over at the music store. They’re really normal. But they’re older. And Scootaloo and I are just fillies. Maybe we won’t stay together. You said you kept wanting to date other mares.”

“I said… I wanted to be in love. If I was in love… I’d do anything to make it work. If I really, really was meant to be with a mare, it would all come so naturally. Now, I know Scootaloo is a little… Well, she loves her scooter and extreme tricks and things like that. But she must like you. She’s always there with you, even when you’re not doing things as the Cutie Mark Crusaders. And even if she says she doesn’t like all the cutesy stuff you do together, she always does it. I think she’s telling you something. And I think you should confirm it.”

Sweetie Belle continued to look down for a moment longer, before a small smile slowly spread across her face. “I guess so. Even when she complains, she keeps going. I guess I’ll go ask her now. Oh, and work on this a little later.” Sweetie Belle packed the papers back into her saddlebags and starts out. “Thanks for the help. Twilight!”

“My pleasure, my little pony.” Twilight shook her head after Sweetie Belle had left the library. “It’s really amazing that nopony can see these kinds of things right in front of their faces.”

- - -

Rainbow Dash darted around a collection of tightly-grouped trees, expertly dodging around the gnarled trunks, feeling the rush of wind as she passed around them. She was in the best shape of her life! Though that was only because she was practicing way more than usual. She was awake and working more than usual. Before, she had spent that time shooting the breeze with Applejack. But ever since Applejack turned quiet, she had to find new ways of filling in the time. And all she could do was practice. Even if it made her better, it could get really, really boring. And there were no fritters or apple juice afterwards.

“Hello there, Rainbow Dash.” Twilight came up behind Rainbow Dash while she was resting and thinking about fritters and juice.

“Oh, hey Twilight! What brings you out here? You’re not usually the wooded area type. And there’s nothing out here except good training ground. Getting an early start on the Running of the Leaves?” Rainbow Dash chuckled at her own bit of humor, trotting over to the unicorn.

“I thought a change of pace would be nice. Getting out of the library for a while, having a nice walk in the open air. You know all about that sort of thing, so I figured you were the one to ask about the best places for that. It’s… Actually nice to just stretch my legs and trot through the countryside. Any suggestions about where to go for a quiet walk in the country?”

Rainbow Dash regarded Twilight with a raised brow and a slight raise of her head. That wasn’t very like the bookish unicorn. But ponies could change. Finally, she just smiled, slapping her friend on the back. “Ah, no problem! I don’t really walk places, but I know just the right spots. Stick with me. I’ll help you out.”

“Only too happy to, Rainbow Dash.” Twilight smiled, and remembered. ‘And I watered it in fears,/ Night & morning with my tears;/ And I sunnèd it with smiles,/ And with soft deceitful wiles.’

- - -

“Ah ain’t havin’ no more of it, critter.” Applejack felt the familiar cold shiver run up her spine, like steel spiders scuttling malevolently up her back. “Ah can only guess yer game. It ain’t in mah nature to think a the things y'all think. But ah ain’t having no more of it. Ah knows y'all was here, listenin’. Watchin’. Waitin’. Whatever ya was plannin’, jes give it up.”

“Think you can scare me, hayseed? Nothing scares me anymore. I’ve touched the sky, earth pony. And lived to tell about it. And I’ve done more than you could ever hope to do. I took that one step and it was beautiful. Never forget it, Applejerk. I went where you can’t.” Gilda strolled calmly out of the shadows, voice heavy with anger and arrogance to disguise her surprise. Her weak, crumbling victim found some of her backbone. But she would try this new will, and break it like she had before.

“Ah’ve never lamented not bein’ able to fly. T’aint mah place. Ah was born knowin’ that. Cain’t make me sorry ‘bout somethin’ ah don’t rightly care ‘bout no more. Ah’d suggest y'all jes keep a-flappin’ til y'all reach some new place. Don’t rightly care where; don’t gotta go home but y'all cain’t stay here.”

“That’s not what I mean and you know it, bumpkin. Don’t play dumb with me. I know you think you’re something. But at the end of the day you’re just another land-walking punk kicking down apples and wandering through your useless little life. I told you you’re nothing special and I meant it. I am. I AM!” Gilda screeched loudly at Applejack, her mind already casting back.

“Guh, what a lousy place.” The young griffon regarded the scene with some degree of disdain. The fluffy clouds and sterner shaped-cloud buildings and accoutrements were so overly cheery, all made of the pure white puff, with not even a streak of the darker gray that could easily be factory made. And all around, young ponies, cheerily greeting each other and engaging in giggling races that meant nothing. “Pathetic. No one’s taking this seriously.”

“I know, right? Pfft! Totally pathetic?” Suddenly at the young griffon’s side was a filly, just like the rest she could see. And yet, so different. Her rainbow hair was short and spiky; her wings were flapping ever so slightly, without stopping; and she was standing in a cool, relaxed fashion, looking too good for the place. “Didn’t think I’d find anyone here who was serious about flying.”

“I know what you mean.” Gilda actually offered a cool little smile to the Pegasus, looking her over a little more closely. Cute. Very cute. Some potential in this Junior Speedsters thing. She held out a taloned forelimb and nodded. “Gilda.”

The filly placed her hoof in the offered place and give a firm shake. She was quite strong for a pony. “Rainbow Dash, fastest flier to ever come out of Cloudsdale. My parents sent me here to polish my technique or something. I dunno what they’re talking about. I’m gold already. I can pull off tricks even grown ups can’t do. This’ll be a piece of cake.”

“I’m not gonna make it easy for you. Just try to keep up, if you can.” Gilda grinned and licked her beak, dropping into a pre-race pose.

“Oh, you are ON, girl. Come on, you won’t see anything but my tail for all the time we’re here.” Rainbow Dash dropped down into position herself, scraping the clouds with a hoof, waiting for a sign to go.

Gilda grinned wider as a nearby Pegasus hit the clouds, all the signal she needed. With a blast of wind, she was off. But right beside her was the eager filly, keeping pace like nopony ever could before. In that moment, she knew she had found someone special.

“What do you mean, ‘Be quiet’? I don’t gotta be nothing!” Years later. Gilda and Dash had kept in touch after the Junior Speedsters meeting, and become very good, very close friends. They were together as often as was feasible, and did everything together that was possible. Especially going out at night to clubs that didn’t look at ID very carefully. Thus it was that they were in such a place, staring down patrons annoyed by Gilda’s loud beak.

“Come on, Gilda, he’s not worth it! Let’s just enjoy the evening, I like it in here. It’s the best one we’ve found.” Rainbow Dash wasn’t sure what to think. She DID like Gilda’s company. But sometimes Gilda could be a bit intense. That was part of what made her awesome.

“Yea, listen to her. Just quiet down and relax.” A Pegasus stallion shook his head while his friends nodded their assent.

Gilda didn’t like her odds. Even if most ponies tended to back down, and even though the guy didn’t look like a brawler, he had backup and could make it a very uncomfortable fight. Not a guaranteed win, which wasn’t what she wanted at all. “Dash, we’re outta this lame place.” Gilda stalked towards the entrance, scowling, looking back to find Rainbow Dash still sitting. “Come on, Dash.”

Rainbow Dash hesitated for a moment. She wanted to stay. And Gilda had been even more bossy and controlling of late. But still, she was a good friend and that was really important… “Right behind you, Gilda.”

“I’m special. She came away with me. She loved me…”

“I thought you said she couldn’t love anyone.” Applejack gave it a thought and then smiled. “And… She didn’t come with you that time. And ah’ll never forget the way she turned you down.”

“Watch your mouth, pony.” Gilda held up her talons, giving them a flex and snapping her beak.

“You don’t scare me, critter. Ah’m a farm pony and ah’ve stared down Nightmare Moon. Ain’t nuthin’ you can do t’make me shake. Besides, ah brought me some backup.” From under her hat, Applejack produced a rope, already made up into a lasso. “T’aint wise to get in mah way.”

Gilda analyzed her odds. She had talons, a wicked beak and plenty of speed. But that little farm pony was hard as a rock, and was no slouch on her hooves. The rope was a wildcard to be sure. If she was even half as good as she appeared, it would seriously affect the fight. Even a little snag could be the break needed for a double hoof to the face. She never did like a fair fight. “Fine. You got your spine from somewhere. But listen up, Applesmack. I was there first. And, I got you on the ropes once before. Maybe I won’t beat on you, because of your lame-o pony friends. But I’ll get you back down in that pit. Just you wait.” With a shriek, Gilda took off into the sky, soaring further and further away.

“And you jes keep flyin’, critter. Jes fly outta mah life.” Applejack placed the rope back under her hat and settled it comfortably on her head. She knew, though, in the back of her mind that Gilda was coming back. There was no way to avoid it. She was set on that course. And nothing could change it. She’d have some strange tactics, however. Now that she knew that her plan was displayed, she’d need something new and not physical. Applejack wasn’t eager to see what that might be.

- - -

“And here, lots of nice, soft grass, a cool breeze, a few flowers for smelling and not many other ponies passing by. Fluttershy always walks around here, when she does. And she hasn’t been here lately since she’s been doing some kind of project for Rarity. So, you won’t freak her out and you’ll have a nice, quiet walk for yourself.” Rainbow Dash fluttered beside Twilight, pointing out the pleasant features of a lovely lea outside of Ponyville.

“You seem to know a lot about Fluttershy.” Twilight looked aside at Rainbow Dash, a pleasant smile plastered on her face while her eyes shone with scheming.

“Well, yea. We’re buds from way back. Same town, same classes, we’ve known each other forever. Now, she moved to Ponyville before I did. She wasn’t built for Cloudsdale, really. No way she could have handled a factory job. I spent a little time up in Cloudsdale and other areas. But I wasn’t a factory type either and Ponyville needed more weather ponies.”

“I see… And how about Applejack? Seems like you two have a lot of… Conflicts.”

“Ha! Oh man, yea. That’s why. I LOVE competition. Love it, just love it. You probably figured it out, but competition drives me. How do you think I managed to pull off TWO Sonic Rainbooms? Applejack is, like, the PERFECT competitor. She’s always up for anything. And I’ll tell you, it takes WORK to beat her.”

“Uh-huh… I see. And, uh… What about… Pinkie Pie?” Twilight’s eyes burned with hidden anger and frustration. This was the crux of her need for vengeance. The most important issue in Equestria to her. And here was her chance to see how angry she really ought to be.

Rainbow Dash laughed. A bit longer and a bit more obnoxiously than she probably intended. It did not escape Twilight, and it only made her more upset. “Yea, yea… That’s weird, isn’t it? She’s got the whole heroine worship thing going on, like Scoots. But, we’ve got something going on. She’s really good at pranks, I mean, like, crazy good. It comes from that freakish part of her brain that knows how to win tic-tac-toe and throw parties.”

Twilight gritted her teeth behind Rainbow Dash’s back. She didn’t much care about the airy connection that barely existed between the Donna Juan Pegasus and Pinkie. But the sheer audacity, the words she used to describe Pinkie! Heroine Worship! Freakish! Crazy! “I see. Yea, that makes sense.” Her reply was casual, even bland, and her looks became the same just a moment later.

“It’s just how we hang, you know? I’m pretty busy anyhow, training and all. Turns out, The Wonderbolts have to ask you to join them. So I figure, a few more competition wins, a little more kissing up to Spitfire, and I am SO in.” Ranbow Dash struck a heroic pose and listened to the fanfare in her head.

“Right.” Kissing up to another mare. Just what kind of kissing would she be willing to do to get in? Hate surged in Twilight’s heart. She didn’t care about anyone. She toyed with emotions and flitted around without a care. “Well, thanks for showing me this. It’ll be good to get in a nice, quiet walk. That library can get pretty crazy sometimes.”

“Hey, no problem. You’re my friend, Twilight. It’s the least I could do.” Rainbow Dash set a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder, before she leaped up into the air and zipped off.

“At least you checked your nature and didn’t try that with me…” The wind swirled and rushed, as Twilight’s horn glowed and her attempt at creating whirlwinds began again. It was larger, but less controlled than before. Too large for the library. This was perfect. A chance to refine and prepare it properly. “Soon enough…”

- - -

“Perhaps I AM over thinking this. After all, not everypony enjoys the fuss of formalwear. Though it may pain me to admit that my normal styles are wrong, there’s nothing for it. I will have less room to add my normal glorious touches, but perhaps that’s good. It will force me to expand my horizons and do more with less. Ooh, such a challenge! I relish it.” Rarity was starting with a blank canvas, a clean piece of drafting paper with a simple unicorn mare outline on it.

“That’s the spirit, Rarity. You can do this. I just know you can.” Fluttershy was at her usual place. She was so proud of herself. The Summer line for next year was ready. She had just put the last stitch in the last dress. She had brought Rarity’s vision to life. “But you know, maybe… Maybe you should… Ummm… Maybe Twilight doesn’t want a dress, at all.”

“Oh don’t be silly, Fluttershy. Everyone wants one of my designs. They’re all the rage. And Twilight is surely aware of just what kind of magic can come of just the right look. She has to be waiting for that one thing that with make her rear up and cheer. I shall endeavor to do my best.” Rarity’s horn shone, and she started drawing a thin line on the blank paper, moving her pencil ever so carefully.

“Right. Sorry. Um, I’ll see you another time, Rarity. Your dresses are done.” Fluttershy meekly got out from behind the sewing machine, and trotted her way out of the shop, with Rarity barely noticing, already deep in contemplation of her minimalist masterpiece.

- - -

“Oh, hey Twilight.” Just a few days later, Rainbow Dash met Twilight in the town square. The square was rather empty, thanks to the action of a gray day which had sprung up without any warning. All the weather pegasi had been caught off guard by that.

“Hello…Rainbow Dash…” Twilight stared down the Pegasus from the other side of the square, her face hard and determined. It had taken a lot of work to turn the day gray enough to keep everyone inside. Everyone except Rainbow Dash. She’d always be out. Always going about her merry way. Deceiving. “I’m glad I managed to find you…”

“Uh… Yea. G-great to see you, Twilight…” Rainbow Dash couldn’t put her hoof on it, but something about Twilight just seemed… Off. Her face, her voice, her whole bearing wasn’t normal. There was nothing directly stating it but she seemed upset. “Are… You ok, Twilight?”

“Me? You really care how I feel?” Twilight trotted forward a few steps, horn lightly glowing, the wind starting to blow.

“Well… Yea? I mean, you’re my friend and I…”

“My friend!?” The horn glowed brighter for a second, wind surging with a howl. “You do the things you do and say you’re my friend?”

“What? What things? I have no idea what you’re talking about!”

“DECEPTION!” The horn flashed again, wind howling with an almost demonic fury. “You can’t stop lying! I saw! I saw everything! I was watching you all that time! You’re not going to keep doing this, Rainbow Dash! I won’t let you!”

- - -

Fluttershy had fully intended to stay home on the gray day that had sprung up; days that didn’t follow the Pegasus plans were very inauspicious. It meant that weather was seeping out of the Everfree forest, making it somewhat dangerous. But she couldn’t stay cooped up in her house when there were potential problems. Unexpected days could hurt little animals. So she was on her way through town, to the fields on the other side when she saw Twilight and Rainbow Dash, talking. She wanted to skirt them, to avoid unnecessary conversation. She hadn’t been very talkative since she had finished with Rarity’s dresses.

“Twilight, I seriously don’t know what you’re… Wait a minute… What’s going on? No one ordered any wind. How is..?” Rainbow Dash stared, open-mouthed at Twilight, not believe what she had concluded. No unicorn had ever tried to do weather in Ponyville before. She knew it was possible but they had always left it to the pegasi. “Why are you doing this? You’re not a weather pony!”

“I tried so hard… Tried so hard to find a way to make this easy. I scoured the tomes for some shred of information. I even went to… Well, it’s not important. All I know is I failed. There is no easy way to do this. I had to look you in the eyes and get it done. Rainbow Dash! You’ve been dallying around Ponyville. With everyone! I’ve seen it. I spent days and nights seeing it. And I’m not going to let it go on!”

- - -

Applejack worked every day, rain or shine. No gray day would keep her out of her normal routine. She always had things to do. It was the full-time nature of the task that kept it engaging and fun. And without any regular distractions, as she used to have, it was all that she could do to entertain herself. So she checked the soil and the drainage, as the sky looked a little bit like rain, worrisome enough on schedule, but worse without warning.

“You don’t even have the sense to get out of the rain, do you?” Gilda landed with a rush of wings, her voice lacking its mocking tone. She was still trying to get a handle on the reversal that had been handed to her. It was no easy task for the hot-headed griffin.

“T’aint rainin’ yet, critter. And ah ain’t such a prissy-bridle that ah gotta run an’ hide every time th’ sky ain’t too friendly. Ah told you, ah’m a farmer. Ah gots things to do. This orchard is mah life and it always will be.”

“Locked to the land, looking at the trees and digging in the dirt. And there I am, high above you looking down on your trees and laughing at you, tied to this jumble of rocks and sticks. And guess what, hayseed? Rainbow Dash is above you, too. You’ll never tie her to anything, least of all yourself.”

Applejack didn’t respond for a while. As infuriating as Gilda was, and had been, she had a sharp mind that was right about any number of things. That was one of them. Rainbow Dash was a creature of the sky. She hardly ever let her hooves touch the ground; she scarcely even walked, just constantly hovered just to move around. “She may be up in the clouds, critter…” She kicked a tree lightly, dropping an apple from it then swiftly gave it a second buck, sending the apple flying in Gilda’s direction, though too high to hit. “But she comes down on her own. And she don’t mind bein’ tied to somethin’ she loves.”

Gilda snarled, still not confident enough in her ability to overpower Applejack to risk a direct attack. “Yea, yea. You say it, but even you said, she’s not coming around. I’ll bet she’s training to be in the Wonderbolts, or up in her cloud manor. In fact, I’m going to go up there right now, where you can never reach. I’ll get to see her all alone.”

Applejack looked up at Gilda as she flew off with a screech of triumph, the noise lost in the sudden wind that had come up. That was unusual. It was coming from the direction of town. But it never swept in from that direction. It always came in unscheduled from the Everfree forest.

Blowing in from the direction of the center of town, Ditzy Doo fought against the slight drafts that affected flying, though not critically. She came down in front of Applejack, eyes out of place. “Have you seen Rainbow Dash? I have letters for her but she’s not home. And if she’s not here then I don’t know where she’d be, with this wind making flying hard. Derp.”

“Naw, ah ain’t seen Dash in… A while…” Applejack looked towards Ponyville proper. The wind was unnaturally blowing and too strong to be normal. The clouds almost looked to be gathered there and hadn’t drifted into scudding brightness as they usually did. “But ah know where she might be…”

The winds blew powerfully in the Ponyville town square, growing strong enough to throw some of the smaller items around, whirlwinds starting to appear in the air around Twilight’s head. The flying objects nearly hit Fluttershy, making her squeal loudly and drop into her usual Fluttershy ball. “Are you scared yet, Rainbow Dash?” Twilight’s eyes began to shine, her horn glowing all the brighter. “You’ve been deceptive to everyone.”

- - -

Rarity scratched out her latest minimalist design with a frustrated sigh. She had failed again. It was properly styled and would look decently enough but it lacked a certain spark. No matter what she did she could not help but consider ostentations to make it pop. But it doing so she ruined her creative vision. It was a conundrum indeed.

She flipped back through her other failed masterpieces, minimalist and otherwise. They all looked fine. In any other circumstances they would have been perfect for production and retail. But they lacked something. There was some element absent from them that kept them from being ideal. A small bit in their shape or their construction or intended color didn’t fit at all. Something. It was like they were made so well, they were actually imperfect, something in their very nature was just plain off.

They would have looked nicer with someone with a lankier shape and more delicate features. Not because that would fit Twilight better, but because it was what Rarity saw when she imagined a perfect dress. Nothing too dark, even though it was required to compliment the unicorn’s naturally darker-toned coat. Her mind wasn’t in the place required to make Twilight a perfect outfit. She had other things in mind.

Seeing no use in looking over the failed designs again, Rarity turned her head aside and looked to where Fluttershy normally sat. The sewing machine was vacant and silent, but beside it, lined up on forms or folded carefully, were the dresses for next year’s summer line. She had finished the display copies and the production run. They were magnificent. She had handled every little thing and done it well, using her knowledge of sewing and craft to excellent effect.

The unicorn pony slowly got to her hooves and examined the dresses with a practiced eye. They were practically identical. Not a stitch loose, dropped or out of place. The lace was ruffled to perfection, the fabric hung beautifully and all the lines were as crisp as a fresh-dug carrot. Perfect. The ideal lovingly rendered execution of her creative vision. All done with a gentle and patient hoof.

Rarity ran a hoof over the stitching, frog confirming what her eyes had told her. Smooth and straight, not a quiver or jag to be felt. Her breath caught in her throat as she did it a second time, for a completely different dress. Flawless, insofar as anything could be. Fluttershy had done everything to ensure it was all perfect. And Rarity had… Never even noticed. Scarcely even breathed a word of thanks, to say nothing of praise. Fluttershy had done it all, not for money, thanks or status. Out of the goodness of her heart. Out of… Love?

The past rushed back into her head, all the way back to her choosing of Fluttershy to be her model. Fluttershy was fearful and hesitant. But did it, no matter what. She never turned down a request and made sure to give her all. She followed along, doing what was needed, and offered insights when she had them to give. And every so often, her quiet tongue would slip. She had never thought it through, but Rarity now realized every slip, was a confession. Admission that she, truly, loved her. It was all out of love. That thought sent Rarity running out of her shop, into the sudden, and violent, windstorm in Ponyville.

- - -

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Twilight!” Rainbow Dash found herself having to yell. The wind was getting worse, way beyond normal summer breezes, heading into the territory of windstorms, though of a class almost never used. It was getting dangerous. “Talk to me! Tell me what’s wrong!”

“You don’t know? How could you not know!?” Twilight’s voice reverberated, but slightly, just a slight undercurrent of it in her screaming. “You’ve done nothing but lie and cheat all the time I was watching you! Flitting girl to girl without care! To Pinkie without care! How does this feel, Dash? No way to escape to the sky! Are you afraid?”

“Y-yea! Yea, I am! Is that what you wanted to hear?” Rainbow Dash’s mind was in complete disarray. This was unlike anything she had experienced, and completely unlike Twilight. She was a quiet bookworm, not some kind of screaming engine of anger.

“Know how many friends I had before I got here? None! Know how many times I’ve fallen in love, really? ONCE! ONE time, Rainbow Dash! And your selfish, deceitful heart couldn’t even let me have that!” Twilight’s voice reverberated more, her eyes glowing faintly along with her horn, the wind growing even worse. “I won’t let you have her! You don’t deserve her! You! Don’t! Deserve her!”

Rainbow Dash cowered on the ground, hooves scraping for purchase on the cobblestone street while her wings fought to stay folded in the fury of the wind. “I didn’t! I didn’t do anything with Pinkie! We’re just friends! She helps me with pranks! Come on, Twilight! Stop this! I’m your friend, I am! We can talk about this, please!”

Fluttershy found that being a still, silent ball of yellow wasn’t very effective when the wind could scoot her along the ground. She struggled for shelter somewhere, anywhere, hooves scraping harshly on the ground as she dragged herself along. She was too close to the center. The buffeting wind wasn’t letting her go backwards. The random whirlwinds were forming and keeping her trapped in the area of effect. All she could do was carry on, and hope she could find a niche into which she could tuck herself.

Applejack fought the wind, finding it a strange thing. The closer she got to the center of town, the more random it got. Sometimes it pushed, sometimes it pulled, but it never did what wind was supposed to. She drive through it, desperately trying to keep her hat on her head as it picked up speed. She had to dodge several flying objects on her way to the square, where she saw Rainbow Dash, cowering before the fury of the wind, and Twilight, horn glowing, the apparent source.

“I don’t need your lies! You can’t be my friend! I saw you, in the orchard with Applejack, and making contact with Fluttershy! All while also spending time with Pinkie Pie. Too much time! You can’t keep your hooves to yourself. I’ll make you!”

“What in the tarnation is this here?” Applejack’s voice was lost to the winds, her eyes struggling to remain open as she looked at the scene.

“No! No! It’s not true! I love Applejack!” The words carried on the screaming wind, reaching ever ear in the square. Especially Applejack’s. “I just… I just never told her because the last time… Didn’t work out so well.”

“Sugarcube…”

“LIAR!”

“T-twilight, I don’t mean to be a bother…” Fluttershy’s voice never rose above the scream of the wind, her frail yellow body barely making it through the cutting currents. She tried to make herself noticed, to beg for respite so she could leave. She was only buffeted away by the force of the air. “Help!”

“Really! I mean it! I love her!” Rainbow Dash cowered on the ground, holding her place on the stones with difficulty. Tears ran out of her eyes and were whipped away by the winds. “I do, I do I do… PLEASE!”

“Twilight! Stop this foolishness!” Applejack dashed through the wind with all her might, to reach Rainbow Dash. “She’s tellin’ you the truth! She has ta be, ‘cause ah love her too! And ah know when she’s tellin’ lies! Come on, stop this!”

“R-really? Wait, was that what you were trying to tell me? That was a month ago! Why didn’t you say anything before now?”

“Well, ah had some problems with… An annoyin’ critter that wouldn’t leave me be. But she’s not a problem right now.”

“Help!” Fluttershy was in no better position that before. She was still at the mercy of the wind, with no hope of controlling herself. She stumbled to and fro as the whirlwinds formed and dissipated, and the general storm went on. Her wings were weak and opened slightly, sending her stumbling even more powerfully as she was buffeted.

“Lies, lies, lies, LIES, LIES, LIES! LIAAAAR!” Twilight’s eyes flashed brighter, glowing purely white. Her horn shone almost as brilliantly as her blank eyes, while a wavering field of pure magic seemed to radiate from her body. “You drew Applejack into your deceit! How did you? How could you? You corrupted honesty, and betrayed your own loyalty! You deserve this, Rainbow Dash! This fear, and the final payment for your deception. Accept your doom.” The voice that emerged from Twilight was deep and heavily reverberated, almost sounding like someone else entirely.

Fluttershy trembled in fear, completely surrounded by objects of terror. From the swirling wind to the madness of Twilight. She was losing energy rapidly. She didn’t have the strength to keep fighting. She kept on trying, however; she knew that as soon as she let go, she would be at the mercy of the wind, and be crushed against a building.

It happened at last, her wings giving out and flapping open suddenly, catching a current and tossing her into their air. Not a sound could emerge from her tight throat, eyes wide and pleading, staring at nothing as she prepared to be dashed against unforgiving stone. She stopped suddenly, painlessly. So, the shock was immediate. It must have snapped her spinal cord and killed her feeling right away. But, she found herself moving down, in defiance of the wind. That made her look around. She hadn’t hit a wall; she was in the air but slowly moving towards the ground.

Another look showed her Rarity. She was straining hard, holding her own position with some force, body quivering. But most of her concentration was pouring into her horn, which glowed and crackled with magical force, holding Fluttershy in a protective grip, drawing her slowly down to the ground against the wind.

“Twilight! Y’all gotta stop this! She’s not lyin’ and ah ain’t either! Twilight! Listen to me! Twilight!” Applejack stayed with Rainbow Dash, standing tall with one leg over her shoulders while she huddled on the ground.

“I! I can’t! I can’t control it!” The reverberating voice boomed out loudly before moving into a wordless rumbling, horn glowing just as brightly, eyes practically emitting beams of light.

“R-rarity…” Fluttershy blushed brightly, as she usually did, as she reached the ground, right beside Rarity. She looked at the glorious unicorn, her mane and tail rapidly being turned into a puffy mess by the howling wind. She was panting and shivering, keeping her place with all her might. “Your… Your mane. Oh… Thank you for this. I’m sorry for… For making you do this.”

Rarity got a strange, small smile on her face, looking at Fluttershy with a tiny blush on her own cheeks, the pink tinge looking like aptly applied makeup. “I’m sorry…” She spoke softly, but close enough to Fluttershy’s ears to be heard in the wind. “I’m sorry I didn’t see what you were saying. I’m so… Well, my mind goes a mile a minute, when I’m in the zone. But darling… I understand when I finally stop to look.”

Fluttershy’s eyes quavered, her mouth hanging agape, not sure what she ought to do, or what it even meant. “Umm… I don’t… I didn’t say anything…”

Rarity leaned down to kiss Fluttershy on the forehead, pressing neck-to-neck with her and pressing her body to hers. “You said it all. And now I understand.”

“T-twilight! I’m sorry for whatever you thought was happening! I didn’t think anything was weird about what I was doing! I hung out with Pinkie to plan pranks, I hung out with Fluttershy because we’re both from Cloudsdale, and with Applejack because… I love her! I told you, I love her!”

“She ain’t…” Applejack looked over at Twilight, her horn and eyes still glowing brightly, her body lifted into the air.

O what can ail thee, knight at arms,/ Alone and palely loitering?/ The sedge has wither'd from the lake,/ And no birds sing./ O What can ail thee, knight at arms,/ So haggard and so woe-begone?/ The squirrel's granary is full,/ And the harvest's done./ I see a lily on thy brow/ With anguish moist and fever dew,/ And on thy cheeks a fading rose/ Fast withereth too./ I met a lady in the meads,/ Full beautiful, a fairy's child;/ Her hair was long, her foot was light,/ And her eyes were wild…” The tremulous voice stopped a moment then went on. “She found me roots of relish sweet,/ And honey wild, and manna dew,/ And sure in language strange she said—” Another pause, a longer pause that was finally broken by a huge, unearthly shriek, born of anguish and speaking of pain. “And this is why I sojourn here,/ Alone and palely loitering,/ Though the sedge is wither'd from the lake,/ And no birds sing.

“Twi… Light?” Pinkie clopped along the cobblestones, moving with the wind despite its mad patterns. “Twilight? What happened to you? What’s wrong?” Pinkie’s normally cheery face was lined with concern. She approached without fear, though the swirling wind seemed to almost follow her and try to push her away. “This isn’t you. You’re the smart one.”

“Pinkie? Get back! Stay away!” Twilight turned her glowing eyes on Pinkie and the wind seemed to waver in strength. “You’re not supposed to see this! You can’t see this, how I’m protecting you from deception and heartbreak.”

“Protecting me? From who? Dashie? She’s just a friend I do pranks with. Besides, she likes Applejack. And I like you.”

“Wh-what?” The wind died, in an instant. Twilight dropped like a stone, horn and eyes back to normal, body barely moving as she lay on her side, panting. “You… What?”

Pinkie hopped to Twilight, leaning over her face, staring into her half-open eye. “You didn’t know? The visits, the parties, the cupcakes?”

Twilight lay on the ground, softly groaning. Her body was feeling the effects of embracing her wild magic release. But her mind was still able to call back. She got more parties than any of the others. Pinkie was always right there with her. Even when they didn’t agree, they always ended up coming to an understanding. And the cupcakes. Great, ridiculous numbers of cupcakes. And she never refused to eat them. Never refused to… “You thought… I knew. Because I acted like I knew.”

“You were always so nice, and you always ate the cupcakes, even when I knew you didn’t want to, because of your teeth and nutrition and stuff. I thought you were shy. You’re really shy when it comes to saying things. I was just waiting for you to tell me…”

“I love you, Pinkie Pie…” Twilight had tears in her eyes, and spoke with a shuddering, pained, thick-throated voice. She collapsed into sobs afterwards, pulling closer to Pinkie’s legs.

As the cloudy sky began to clear, there was a flapping of wings and a rush of air. It was Princess Celestia, who regarded the scene with wide eyes, looking down at Twilight with a slight shake of her head. She trotted slowly towards the sobbing unicorn, leaning her head down. “Oh my faithful student… What have you done?”

- - -

Hooves clopped down a long stone corridor, echoing along the cavern that punched deep into a mountain. The walls were rough-hewn, and lined with torches that were touched by one carried by the traveler, lighting the dreary passage.

The corridor terminated at a huge, heavy iron gate, which rose slowly with the whine of metal on metal, drawn up by chains worked by pulleys located elsewhere in the mountain. Behind the iron gate was a double gate of heavy wood banded with iron. The two sides slowly slid open to reveal a sturdy iron door with torches on either side. They were lit, mirrors placed above and before them shining the light onto the door. At last, the figure worked a bolt on the door and opened it wide.

The reflected light from the torches flooded the dark chamber beyond the door, falling upon a figure on the far wall. A purple unicorn, secured to the wall and floor with heavy chains. A heavy yoke kept her head bowed to the ground, while an iron cap covered her horn and was secured to the yoke by stout chains. She opened up her eyes and looked to the door, light falling on her pained face. “Professor… No… Don’t look at me. Please. I’m a monster. I deserve to be buried here and forgotten.”

Crescent Sliver regarded Twilight for a long while. He then shook his head and stared hard at her. “This is my prison, not yours. You’re no more a monster than any of the other love-mad ponies that come to my presence and beg to learn how to destroy with a thought. In fact, you are better. Despite slipping into a wild magical state, you still did not harm anyone, though I understand it was a near thing. I don’t believe for a moment you’re anywhere near half the monster you believe yourself to be. In point of fact, my former student, I doubt that you TRULY believe yourself to be a monster at all.”

“But… But I was…”

“Tell me, Twilight, if you were so determined to murder your rival, why didn’t you? Collateral destruction matters little to monsters. You denied her the air, and had her at your mercy. Harsher winds, lightning, even your own hooves could have reduced her to little more than a memory. But you did nothing. You lost control of your powers because you could not go on.”

“I didn’t… I couldn’t do that with an audience. I made sure everyone was inside, I got Rainbow Dash alone. I was going to make her feel fear. Make her see the shine of my poison apple, grown from my smile and my tears. And then see her outstretched under the tree. But Fluttershy was in the background. And Applejack showed up. I couldn’t do it. Not with witnesses. Not with all their eyes…”

“Lies do not suit you, any more than a maudlin bearing. These amateur dramatics should be left to the weeping high schoolers thinking the world is over because they have nothing new to wear. I heard what happened. You could not have known that your flying friend was in the background until she was saved, and at that point you were lost to the world. You couldn’t do it at all. Had you meant it, you could have done it immediately. And I applaud you for not.”

“I’m still a monster for thinking it. For even doing what I did. Why do you think I’m in this cave, locked away from Equestria?”

“Because you led Celestia’s royal guards to the deepest recesses of this place, had them chain you up like that and made them seal all the doors. You asked for all this. This place was built for genuinely dangerous ponies, not for fillies who got a little jealous and made a mess with a windstorm. If that were the case there would be any number of pegasi in there with you.”

“I’m here like you. I deserve this. It’s my decision. I’m a danger to others and I deserve to be locked inside this prison where I can’t hurt anyone again.”

“In the first place, you are not like me. Do not exaggerate. Your powers are nothing like what I have taken in. First-order destruction is a terrible thing because it is far more direct and willful than anything done by another object. In the second place, and I would say far more important place, whatever else you may do, keeping yourself her will cause more pain and suffering than you may wish. It will, in fact, make one life unbearable.”

“Ha! No one would miss a monster like me. Not even Princess Celestia.” Twilight looked down, scratching at the stone with a hoof.

Small, soft hoof beats moved slowly into the cavern, definitely not the steps of an adult stallion. “I would.”

“What?” Twilight snapped her head up, moving quickly even despite the heavy yoke around her neck. Standing there in the light of the doorway was Pinkie. Her color was washed out, a wan pink at best, and her hair had fallen into the long, limp strings. She was Pinkamena Diane Pie again, the lonely little rock farmer. “Pinkie…” She turned away, a hoof up over her face, rattling the chain attached to it. “No! Get away from me! I don’t want you seeing me like this.”

Pinkie trotted across the stone room and embraced Twilight, not caring how awkwardly her limbs were arrayed to deal with the chains that wound all over. “I don’t care. You’re still Twilight. I still love you! Besides, this was all my fault…”

“No! No, d-don’t blame yourself for my stupid mistakes. It was never on you. It was always me. I was the one that did this.” Twilight kissed the mare embracing her, tears falling freely from both their eyes. “I should have seen that you were always in love with me. Always trying to show me how much you cared.”

“Mistakes. Trivial little mistakes that mean nothing the first time they happen take on all new form and character with time and more errors. They all compound on one another, like the growth of a stalactite. We never know just what can happen by the steady growth of the tiny missteps. At least this did not end in tragedy, though I suppose it has ended in tears. I hope you learned from this.” Crescent Sliver entered the room as well, looking down at the two embracing mares.

“I shouldn’t have thought of Pinkie like that. She would never hurt me. And Rainbow Dash… She was my friend. I should have trusted her loyalty, no matter what.” Twilight kissed Pinkie’s cheek, wiping her eyes against her straight hair.

“Very well. You’ve learned your lesson I think.” Crescent Sliver leaned his head down and touched certain points on the chains and yoke. Hidden springs and latches disengaged, soon enough leaving Twilight completely free.

“What? How did you do that?”

“Who do you think built this place? I have a lot of time on my hands and I know well that those that come after me will not be so genial or willing. I designed this cell for the most dangerous of those who will come later. Come on, now. I don’t need you here when your place is in Ponyville with your new love and your friends.”

“Will you come back, Twilight?” Pinkie looked to Twilight with huge, wavering eyes, the look only enhanced by her pale color and fallen hair.

Twilight had to smile. Someone needed to. If Pinkie was around the room should never be filled with sorrow and frowning. “Of course I will! I want you to smile and laugh. And I’ll need you there to throw me the biggest welcome home party Ponyville has ever seen!”

At the word ‘party’ Pinkie’s hair popped back into shape, and her eyes grew bright, her color warming considerably. “Did you say ‘party?! Of course I can do that! I’ll throw the biggest shindig ever! Stand back, Grand Galloping Gala! Pinkie Pie’s gonna make you cry!”

- - -

The Grand Galloping Gala was in no danger of losing its prominence as the most vaunted party in all of Equestria, but Pinkie’s multi-purpose ‘Welcome Home, Twilight/ We’re Officially Dating’ party was certainly well-enjoyed. The entire town was invited, along with anyone who chose to show up, which included many members of the royal court along with Princesses Celestia and Luna.

The spread was catered by Sweet Apple Acres, and the music was provided by local wunderkind DJ Pon-3. The entirety of the town was turned into a giant party space. Streets were clogged with singing, dancing and cavorting ponies. Everyone was in the spirit of things and they did their best to party as hard as the party deserved. Even normally-dour Princess Luna got her groove on when the beat thumped hard enough.

Though it was well attended, not everypony in town was there. Applejack was at Sweet Apple Acres. Having finished composing a letter to her cousin Braeburn, congratulating him on his upcoming wedding and wishing him well, she set out to walk the orchard, her usual means of relaxation and meditation. She didn’t know it, but her orchard was, for her, like the bamboo groves in Neighpon.

The peaceful solitude of the setting was broken in the usual way, a rush of wind, the flap of wings and a subtle thud that told of a landing. “You think you’re so damn smart, don’t you? Big windstorm, nothing’s going to be in the sky. So I made a mistake. You were too busy dealing with your psycho killer friend to do anything about where you were. And now that she’s back from whatever nuthatch she had been in, you’re not going to dare do anything. She might fly off the handle again if anything changes around here.”

“Ah knows only one thing, critter. Y'all didn’t fly off to be Rainbow Dash’s knight in angry armor. Ah was there at least. Ah did what ah could. An’ no matter what, ah did what ah had t' do fer her. You jes flew off and kept flyin’. Didn’t have the decency to admit you was a coward, jes waiting until now t' show up.”

“Don’t you sass me, hayseed. I told you, I made a mistake. One of many, really. I should never have eased up on you. I should have kept grinding away at your emotions until you snapped like a twig. I still can. Dash isn’t going to give a damn about you; you’ve been out of the loop for too long. Time for me to get in on things and finally give it a shot. You’re not as pacified as I’d like, but once Dash is with me, you’ll crumble up and blow away.”

“Sorry, Gilda. I don’t think that’s gonna happen.” From the cover of a low bush emerged Rainbow Dash, her eyes somewhat misty as she regarded her former friend. “I can’t believe it. I mean… You disappointed me when you went off on Pinkie Pie, and everyone else. It hurt and I was sad. But I think maybe I could have forgiven you, remembering what we used to have together. But now, hearing that… I don’t even know what to think of you anymore.”

“You… Dash…” Gilda looked quickly over to where Rainbow Dash stood. Her features were hard but her eyes were soft. She looked angry, and yet… Genuinely disappointed. It had never been her intention for Rainbow Dash to know any of this. “You! You did this!”

“Couldn’t jes let you get away with it. An‘, much as it hurt, an’ it did, ah told Dash what y'all’d been a-doin’ t' me. ‘Tweren’t easy, lemmee tell ya. It all still hurt. But ah figgered y'all might be back. An’ ah wanted her here t' see wut sorta critter ya really was.”

“I didn’t believe her, you know. I didn’t want to think she was lying, not being that she’s the element of honesty and all that, but I figured maybe she was exaggerating. She can tell some tall tales, you know, being a farmer and all. So I wanted to make sure she was saying how things were. And… Well… I guess I should have seen it. You were… I was different back then. I just ignored it.”

“C-come on, Dash…I mean… You’re… You’re loyalty! Shouldn’t you be, you know, LOYAL to me? We’ve been friends for a long time. Better than friends. Way better than friends. I thought that meant something to you. You always said it did.”

“It did mean something to me, Gilda. You meant something to me. But I changed. I saw how ponies got hurt when you didn’t care about them. And if there’s one thing I can say about Applejack, she cares. I’m sorry. But you showed me what kinda friend you really are. Twice.”

“Dash… Come on, you know I’m just… I had a tough life.”

“I know, Gilda. And I didn’t have as hard of one. So maybe I can’t know why you’re like that. But you’re like that. And it affects how you treat people. I can’t just ignore it. I’m sorry Gilda.”

“Do you still..?”

“You know the answer to that.” Rainbow Dash flitted over to Applejack’s side, and placed a leg around her shoulders.

Gilda ground her beak and trembled through her whole body. “I never thought…”

“You always knew it would be this way, Gilda. The closed door confrontation. But… We’re not still friends. At least… It won’t be awkward after it’s all done.”

“It’s done.” With a glare of injured hate for Rainbow Dash and Applejack, Gilda launched herself into the air, using her impressive speed and power to propel herself away from Ponyville.

Applejack watched Gilda go, feeling a tremendous weight lifted off her shoulders. “Y’all thing she’s really..?”

The question was interrupted by Rainbow Dash’s lips, a hoof moving Applejack’s head into position for a kiss. After a long moment they pulled apart, and Rainbow Dash whispered, “Even if she comes back, we’re together. And nothing’s going to change that.”

Back at the party, Rarity walked the streets in a shimmering gown made of fine silk with jewels sewn all over. She tossed her hair and moved her body to the beat of the thumping tunes. “Come along, dear. This is your first lesson in maneuvering through a party. You wish to do this, don’t you?”

Following very close behind her, in a bright yellow dress with ruffles and lace, was Fluttershy, a little blush tinting her cheeks. This time, it wasn’t the crowd that did it. It was her company. She was with her… Girlfriend. She could hardly believe it. But, it had to be true. She had already pinched herself and splashed her face with water. She was really with Rarity. “I’m just not meant for it. I-is that ok? I prefer to be with the little critters and in my home.”

“Oh my darling. I don’t mean to make you uncomfortable. I understand that this is not your world. But I MUST move in circles such as these. For my business, you understand. Networking and contacts are important to me. And I want you there because, well, you are the mare I love.”

“Oh Rarity… Of COURSE I’ll be there for you. Don’t worry, I just need more time. But maybe not today. We can go back to the house, and I can make us some popcorn and we can listen to the birds.”

“For you, anything you wish.”

In the town square, Twilight was the center of attention. She was being welcomed back by citizens who were well aware of her connection to Princess Celestia. Though some were unsure about her mental stability, no one would dare refuse her presence with the princess so nearby. It worked out well for her, giving her many well-wishers. As well, she was able to enjoy the company of her new love. Despite being the hostess of the party, whenever Twilight felt the need to kiss or hug her, Pinkie was always suddenly there.

“My dear former student, you certainly know how to throw a party.” There beside her suddenly was Crescent Sliver, a smile on his face and an iron cap over his horn. All magic in his area faded down to almost nothing, as a group of unicorns surrounded him, horns glowing brightly.

“It’s all Pinkie Pie’s doing! She’s the real expert. It’s just one of those things I love about her.” Twilight looked lovingly over at Pinkie, who was glad-hoofing several guests near one of the snack tables.

“I am so happy to see that things have worked out well for you. You deserve your happiness. You should not fret about like someone too afraid to eat a peach. Now you have what you always wished. Love, friends, a place to be both the studious autodidact and the cheery soul.”

“I know, professor, it’s just wonderful. I’m so glad it all worked out in the end.” With that, Twilight walked off, to be with Pinkie.

“’In the end’? Nothing ever ends, my former student…” Crescent Sliver looked over with a smile, then took a sip of some punch.

The End